Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Dan Hodges wins his bet with me then Ed will have to sta

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited May 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Dan Hodges wins his bet with me then Ed will have to stay on the opposition side of the chamber

Labour don’t even need to win a majority to win most seats. It is also possible for them to be a couple of points behind in overall national vote share and still have more MPs.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,409
    Ed is good! Ed is great!

:)
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    samonipad said:

tim said:

@JonathanD

I don't think Socrates argument is that immigrants have driven pubs out of business

Thats exactly what he's saying

It's no surprise that those with a local pub are more likely to vote UKIP, because they still have a community that they're worried is breaking down due to huge numbers of incomers not participating in it.

Yet it's rural and suburban pubs rather than those in cities closing in larger numbers.

The city pubs stay open because of commuters not because of the sense a local community

Those in London away from the sq mile are closing

In East London it is probably because of the large Asian community, hence the pubs close as the whites fly

http://www.derelictlondon.com/east-london.html
    Thankfully a few on here are smart enough to realise that a pub staying open and a pub with a sense of community aren't the same thing.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited May 2013
    100% Off Topic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-22445847

FFS. Last line says it all really.

A "rising number" of children are starting school still wearing nappies, say health experts in Kent.

Of 18 schools investigated, 24 children did not know how to use a toilet and still wore nappies.

Janet Marsh, a health visitor practice teacher, said parents "should not be blamed" for the delay.

It's all Pampers' fault, it seems.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Anorak said:

100% Off Topic

A "rising number" of children are starting school still wearing nappies, say health experts in Kent.

Of 18 schools investigated, 24 children did not know how to use a toilet and still wore nappies.

Janet Marsh, a health visitor practice teacher, said parents "should not be blamed" for the delay.

tim will pop up shortly with some obscure fact that immigrant children are toilet trained earlier.

• Options
    samonipadsamonipad Posts: 182
    edited May 2013
    FPT Pubs & Immigration

To clarify, in my experience pubs in the sq mile in London are not closing, as they rely on commuter trade. but there is no sense of community.

Pubs in zones 3-6 (East London) are suffering because of a combination of the biggest sector of society being 1st 2nd & 3rd generation Asian immigrants who don't tend to be big drinkers, the white flight caused by this, and supermarket undercutting.

Country pubs outside the M25 in Essex seem to be doing a good trade, especially in villages, where the local community spirit Socrates speaks of is evident.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited May 2013

Anorak said:

100% Off Topic

tim will pop up shortly with some obscure fact that immigrant children are toilet trained earlier.

Ha! You're Derren Brown and I claim my £5.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    samonipad said:

FPT Pubs & Immigration

To clarify, in my experience pubs in the sq mile in London are not closing, as they rely on commuter trade. but there is no sense of community.

Pubs in zones 3-6 (East London) are suffering because of a combination of the biggest sector of society being 1st 2nd & 3rd generation Asian immigrants who don't tend to be big drinkers, the white flight caused by this, and supermarket undercutting.

Country pubs outside the M25 in Essex seem to be doing a good trade, especially in villages, where the local community spirit Socrates speaks of is evident.

White flight! Xenophobic! wibble!

says tim....
  • Options
    tim said:

@Anorak

Toilet accidents and a large UKIP vote are clearly linked.
    Something to do with immigrants undermining community I imagine

1/10 unfunny

But at least your efforts/smears over the last few days prove Labour are worried about UKIP

When did you last post negatively about those possible coalition partners, Mike Smithsons Lib Dems?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

100% Off Topic

The quality of "health visitor practice teachers", whatever they are, is clearly not what it used to be.
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 750
    Your bet is as good as won, Mike.

The results last week pointed to Labour winning seats in the 50s and 60s on their target list, never mind 20.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    The dreaded Thread Change:

Have taken all bets on Hillary Clinton for POTUS in 2016 off the table.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2013/05/07/mother_of_slain_benghazi_victim_rips_hillary_clinton_i_blame_her.html
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    tim said:

@Anorak

Toilet accidents and a large UKIP vote are clearly linked.

@tim
    I take it you don't need to worry about "accidents", tim, given you're posting from a commode all day long?

• Options

samonipad said:

FPT Pubs & Immigration

White flight! Xenophobic! wibble!

says tim....

To be fair this is a perfect example of where a timfact could be true while simultaneously driving votes away from Immigrant importing labour.

You could perfectly reasonably expect that incidents of alcohol related violence, liver damage etc have all been decreased in East London by mass immigration... The fact that its because all the original community have left, or are unhappy with what's become of it doesn't stop it being true

people who see past the stats and take notice of human nature see that this isn't the positive for immigration lefties might think it is, hence the rise of ukip
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 750
    Off topic, you can get 33/1 on Steve Round for next Everton manager. Just sayin.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    I reckon Alex Ferguson has done HMG a favour by retiring today.

The Queens Speech was such a non-event, newsrooms are going to be delighted to have something to report. 3 years in and Cameron has run out of ideas.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,252
    edited May 2013
    BNP encouraging patriotic nationalists to join UKIP:

http://tinyurl.com/d6yvd5q

Perhaps if Farage describes them as fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists, he'll be able to alienate these potential fifth columnists. Thinking about it, they'd probably take the 'closet' description as more of an insult than the 'racists' bit.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,965
    The problem for village pubs is that they are pricey and don't offer much to make up for that. When there were 3 TV channels, the internet did not exist and drink drive laws were less strict they had a lot more going for them. The equivalent of pubs are closing across the world.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724

Ed is good! Ed is great!

Are you saying EdM is Ezeergood?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFJdUJg4wOk
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    YouGov Percentage of people saying immigration is the most important issue facing Britain hits three-year high - y-g.co/13ykUYe
  • Options
    tim said:

@Sam.

UKIP will help Labour immensely.
    And they are funny.

That's a shame as for the first time ever, and you can take a lot of the credit for this, I would rather see a Conservative government than a Labour one at the next GE

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    3 years in and Cameron has run out of ideas.

A tad harsh Mr AB. I think its fairer to say he has run out of ideas he can persuade the lib dems to back...
  • Options

The problem for village pubs is that they are pricey and don't offer much to make up for that. When there were 3 TV channels, the internet did not exist and drink drive laws were less strict they had a lot more going for them. The equivalent of pubs are closing across the world.

If it were legal 9no idea if it is or not) I would entertain the idea of having variable duties on alcohol, making it more expensive in supermarkets and offies, whilst cheaper in pubs.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787

Good. The government has passed more than enough to be getting on with - what we need is effective implementation - the HoC can focus on holding the executive to account - in particular via the Select Ctte's.

Look how much legislation Blair & Brown passed and how much good did it do us?
  • Options
    Plato said:

Ed is good! Ed is great!

Are you saying EdM is Ezeergood?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFJdUJg4wOk
    @Plato

LOL, no not quite!

That's the song I like quoting to our very own JohnO:

Esher Good! Esher Good! Eben-Esher Good!
  • Options

The Queens Speech was such a non-event, newsrooms are going to be delighted to have something to report. 3 years in and Cameron has run out of ideas.

It's ok, Ed's got plenty of blank paper Cameron can borrow...
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

One good thing about the Eastern European immigrants (apart from being Catholic) is that they do drink. Although distilling their own vodka tends to be dangerous - as Boston can testify.
  • Options
    taffys said:

A tad harsh Mr AB. I think its fairer to say he has run out of ideas he can persuade the lib dems to back...

really ? why is it I have the impression he isn't trying very hard. It's not as if there aren't enough things that need to be done or the LDs aren't up for a good old fashioned horse trade.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    OGH:
    Yes, anything may happen, but go for it. I reckon Labour support in Bedford was relatively weak last time whereas the Blues threw in the kitchen sink. The Reds will not let that happen next time.
  • Options
    UKIP will help Labour immensely.
    And they are funny.

Even funnier if their actions lead to a labour government, making their aims further in the distance than ever!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,222
    The well-used pub in the village where my in-laws live in Cumbria is likely to close down because the owner can make more money selling the land for residential development than he can by keeping it as a pub. I expect that it's the same in other areas where land values are high.

There are plenty of pubs in the general area which provide a very good service: great atmosphere, good food etc but it's a tough business. And, frankly, a lot of pubs are a bit rubbish. I'm not sure what immigration has to do with any of this, to be honest.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited May 2013
    @Sunil

Ha! I can't believe that song is 21yrs old - Jeez do I feel old...

Re pubs - we've lost about 50% of ours locally, the smoking ban, high cost of petrol and pub prices vs supermarket prices have all played a factor.

The sites have either been redeveloped as flats, a house or a kitchen showroom. 3 others are still empty. There are 2 left in the town centre.
  • Options

village pubs that do good food are still busy, I think that is the way for them to go

Also pubs that show 3pm Saturday football are popular

basically, boozers need to provide something you can't get at home

live music is another option

• Options

Too right, Alan. Queen's Speech, eh? Tsk!

Now take The King's Speech: that was a great film, brilliant performances from Messrs Rush and Firth!
  • Options

Good. The government has passed more than enough to be getting on with - what we need is effective implementation - the HoC can focus on holding the executive to account - in particular via the Select Ctte's.

CV you know how to hurt a fellow blue ! yes, 13 years of pointless legislation, you'd have thought Cameron could have repealed some of it today.
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    Right, doing some catching up (I'm sure everyone will be delighted to hear my wifi is now working properly again), I'm sorry I didn't nip this in the bud earlier when I should have.

We try to be very lenient, and prefer a nudge to a whack, consider this a very firm nudge.

Do not go after posters personally, I also mean posters talking about 'you have a sad life' etc, but for the avoidance of doubt, Tim this very definitely means you.

I don't want to hand out any enforced breaks from posting, if you don't knock it off then I will.
  • Options
    dragontreedragontree Posts: 27
    Labour are clearly targeting the seats in the midlands and northern england as the job recruitment page has solely been to recruit campaign organisers in these constituencies. Only one post outside of the 63 advertsied have been in the south/southwest/wales/scotland. All 62 have been in the midlands/north. Wirral West, Nuneaton, Rugby, Keighley, Calder Valley and Sherwood all had posts for £25,300 up to the june 2015. Not bad salary for that kind of work.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

One good thing about the Eastern European immigrants (apart from being Catholic) is that they do drink. Although distilling their own vodka tends to be dangerous - as Boston can testify.

They also make the gene poll more attractive and less obese.

• Options
    @Alanbrooke,you might like this tweet ;-)

ShippersUnbound We have a government with few ideas and an opposition with few policies. Can we just have a general election now so they have to get some?
  • Options

Now take The King's Speech: that was a great film, brilliant performances from Messrs Rush and Firth!
    Pah, Dr Prasannan, Her Maj had more to say on the economy at Xmas when she wore a party hat and fired a popper.
  • Options

Labour are clearly targeting the seats in the midlands and northern england as the job recruitment page has solely been to recruit campaign organisers in these constituencies. Only one post outside of the 63 advertsied have been in the south/southwest/wales/scotland. All 62 have been in the midlands/north. Wirral West, Nuneaton, Rugby, Keighley, Calder Valley and Sherwood all had posts for £25,300 up to the june 2015. Not bad salary for that kind of work.

One nation labour...apart from that bit down south of Birmingham....
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

Right, doing some catching up (I'm sure everyone will be delighted to hear my wifi is now working properly again), I'm sorry I didn't nip this in the bud earlier when I should have.

We try to be very lenient, and prefer a nudge to a whack, consider this a very firm nudge.

Do not go after posters personally, I also mean posters talking about 'you have a sad life' etc, but for the avoidance of doubt, Tim this very definitely means you.

I don't want to hand out any enforced breaks from posting, if you don't knock it off then I will.

Where oh where is the like button? :-)
  • Options
    Faster growing couple is british white male - eastern european woman.

Eastern european men go home as they make money from working but struggle to learn the language. Eastern european women learn the language grow in the job market are flexible working in catering, food, hospitality upgrading to office markets and settle with money for an white british male.

The eastern european woman is the silent voter we are forgetting about. They are now marrying of to an english man with english parents and they are providing a grandchild. Criticising eastern europeans for coming here is the wrong group. Its pakistani asians whose culture has come and offended the british way of life not eastern europeans. They like the irish and italians have embraced our society and in a way have a stronger sense of family values and are making english men happy.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,222
    There was a time - about 70 years or so ago - when the BBC announced there was no news that day and showed something else. I feel a little like that about the Queen's Speech today. I mean - posturing on immigration (it's the government's job to police borders not private landlords, for heaven's sake) and silly laws about dogs.

If only they ran the things they were doing now competently, that would be good enough for me.
  • Options

ShippersUnbound We have a government with few ideas and an opposition with few policies. Can we just have a general election now so they have to get some?

LOL well it's going to be an ineresting election, they'll have focussed grouped themselves out of standing for anything so it will be X Factor for best platitudes
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815

Pah, Dr Prasannan, Her Maj had more to say on the economy at Xmas when she wore a party hat and fired a popper.
    Her Majesty certainly knows how to celebrate good news, Mr. Brooke.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I'm not a fan of macho bets - I prefer making money. Why Dan Hodges didn't go to a conventional bookies is quite beyond me. Good luck to our host in persuading him to ignore the widely available prices.

Fun bets are a different matter.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Her Majesty certainly knows how to celebrate good news, Mr. Brooke.

Ah Avery, living proof the Poles contribute little to our well-being. ;-)
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    antifrank said:

Why Dan Hodges didn't go to a conventional bookies is quite beyond me.

Because the bragging rights of winning against Mike would be well worth the difference in profit?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    Isn't this the same Dan Hodges who predicted a Romney win ?

Ah well a nice easy way to get cash to run the forums and server.
  • Options

A reasonable salary but the absence of any performance related bonuses would put me off.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Amusing to see people complaining there's not much new in the Queen's speech, and then moaning that there's too much legislation!

Actually there are two massively important bills: pensions and care for the elderly. But they're not new announcements, of course: the government is indeed getting on with the serious business of implementation.

Given that we have the coalition agreement, it would be remarkable if there were anything major and new in a Queen's Speech at the start of the fourth year.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Isn't this the same Dan Hodges who predicted a Romney win ?

No, he predicted an Obama win and quite correctly said the Romney bouncelet after the first debate was a mirage.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    O/T The Labour ruling group on Harrow LBC has split . The current leader of the council Thaya Idaikkadar and 8 other Labour councillors have now formed an Independent Labour group on the council which now consists of 25 Labour 25 Conservative 9 Ind Labour 3 Independents and 1 Lib Dem , An extraordinary meeting of the council has been called for May 23rd to attempt to sort out the leadership of the council .
    With the new balance of councillors I think this will be a long drawn out process .
  • Options

The eastern european woman is the silent voter we are forgetting about. They are now marrying of to an english man with english parents and they are providing a grandchild. Criticising eastern europeans for coming here is the wrong group. Its pakistani asians whose culture has come and offended the british way of life not eastern europeans. They like the irish and italians have embraced our society and in a way have a stronger sense of family values and are making english men happy.

How right you are. You were also right re. the gene pool ....
  • Options

One nation labour...apart from that bit down south of Birmingham....
    More like the barack obama/hillary clinton wayof campaigning. Stop wasting time/sweat/money/resources/manpower in places that the media say you need to win. Democrats were told they could only win by campaigning hard in missouri. as it was the showme state. Well they stopped campaiging there in 2004 and moved elsewhere solidifying the heartlands. Opening offices in the states making it harder for them to fold and thats what labour is doing. Tory mps should not be winning seats with votes of 20k or less. Some tory mps in the north have mps with vote totals of 14,15,16k its laughable. So by building up the base and creating a firewall it prevents the tories from winning seats again in the midlands and north. By killing the tories in these areas it reduces the map and actually enhances political success as it creates a domino effect in neighbouring wards and constituenices. By pandering to the southern voter who is disloyal and naturally conservative - dartford, swindon, gillingham - it alienates voters in the midlands and north who do the worse and dont vote and stay home.

if labour want the dartford man to vote for them instead of conservative then they will lose the woman in bakewell. Thats what labour forgot and in 2010 the dartford man voted conservative and the woman in bakewell didnt care who won or lost.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

The Labour ruling group on Harrow LBC has split .

One Nation? Can't even manage one borough...
  • Options
    edited May 2013

@tim

I don't consider mentioning Enoch Powell in connection with me as a smear or an insult as I think he was a greatly misunderstood and highly intelligent man. So don't feel the need to stop calling me a 'powellite' if it makes you think you are getting somewhere with it
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420

To be fair, both the Lib Dems and Tories have quite a few policies. Unfortunately, neither party will support the other's and you end with a classic example of the total being decidedly less than the sum of its parts.
  • Options

To be fair, both the Lib Dems and Tories have quite a few policies. Unfortunately, neither party will support the other's and you end with a classic example of the total being decidedly less than the sum of its parts.
    have they never heard of negotiating or doing a deal ? In the rest of the world it's often how you get things done.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    Scott_P said:

The Labour ruling group on Harrow LBC has split .

One Nation? Can't even manage one borough...
    Not even a single ward! ;)

• Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    An empty Queen's Speech from a bombed out, downgraded and discredited government.

This government is an absolute shower and a shambles.

A stain on the democratic history of this country that will hopefully be wiped clean in 2015 with the ejection of both Parties from power. Hopefully for good.
  • Options
    nicholaswatt Last week @David_Cameron referred to @Ed_Miliband as 'Miliband'. Now he takes interventions from 2 opposition MPs with: 'One, two'
  • Options

How right you are. You were also right re. the gene pool ....
    I think that is v unfair to Pakistanis and Asians. Any group of people that move en masse to another country where conditions are better for them are likely tô stick together and form large communities that dont bear any resemblance to the existing culture.

It's the politicians that allowed it and the people that vote for them that are to blame
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    On topic, I have a lot of sympathy with Dan Hodges on this (apart from the silly odds). Ed is crap. I am convinced that a lot of people haven't yet noticed quite how crap, though they will come the General Election. That said, the cross-references between Miliband's ratings and voting intention suggest there are plenty of underwhelmed very soft Labour identifiers. The question is whether come 2015 they'll go Blue, Purple, Red or NOTA.
  • Options
    PM to Chuka Harrison

"Can we change our Wikipedia entry? Yes we can!!"
  • Options
    paulwaugh Oooh. Chuka Umunna really didn't like that Cam jibe re Wikipedia/Obama. For once, Commons TV cameras caught reaxn spot on
  • Options

nicholaswatt Last week @David_Cameron referred to @Ed_Miliband as 'Miliband'. Now he takes interventions from 2 opposition MPs with: 'One, two'

I have often wondered why Farage raises his arm before speaking.

• Options
    elashton Chuka Umunna is not at all happy with PM's jibe: 'In the words of Barack Obama, can we change our Wikipedia entry? Yes we can!'

lol
  • Options
    BenM said:

2015 with the ejection of both Parties from power. Hopefully for good.

Some democrat! Why not just have a one party state?

• Options
    Scott_P said:

PM to Chuka Harrison

Good one on Ed too 'The weak are a long time in politics'.....

• Options
    politicshomeuk Cameron takes aim at Labour's Chuka Umanna, who is accused is comparing himself to Obama: "Can we change our Wikipedia entry? Yes we can!"

Did anyone see chuka's face = lol
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Anyone know the background to this? Does this mean the database that was out of action for Eastleigh was still out of action for the local elections, or is it an unrelated tech fail?
    Firstly, the collapse of the Merlin system left many canvassers having to work from the printed registers. This may not be too much of a problem in urban areas but, in villages where many roads and houses are not named, a proper register, sorted into walk order makes canvassing and leafleting so much easier and quicker. However, the real problem is in the follow-up to get out the vote. Without Merlin or some other system for mailing and knocking-up there has to be a system. Where local campaigners created their own system, this took away from the time they could be out campaigning. I speak from personal experience as a candidate’s campaign manager.
    http://krmcbe.com/2013/05/04/election-reflections-4/
  • Options
    Peter_2Peter_2 Posts: 146

Faster growing couple is british white male - eastern european woman.

Its pakistani asians whose culture has come and offended the british way of life not eastern europeans. They like the irish and italians have embraced our society and in a way have a stronger sense of family values and are making english men happy.

But you are not allowed to complain about non-white immigration as NuLabour's stormtroopers will come and arrest you.
  • Options
    this Queen's speech does contain at least two landmark reforms – on social care and the future of pensions – that will be remembered by generations to come.

True, there is the usual rag-bag that Whitehall spews out. But with the banking, social care and pensions reforms, the government shows a coalition still working together to make big reform happen.

http://tinyurl.com/c4qjm39
  • Options
    'Any group of people that move en masse to another country where conditions are better for them are likely tô stick together and form large communities that don't bear any resemblance to the existing culture.'

The Raj, for example?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Labour could win more seats but red isn't pm - LDs stick with the blue devils they know.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Put it this way - 24/7 Labour poster Tim can't think of a single positive about rEd bar "not eton " - tells a story.

• Options
    taffys said:

'Any group of people that move en masse to another country where conditions are better for them are likely tô stick together and form large communities that don't bear any resemblance to the existing culture.'

The Raj, for example?

Anywhere yes, it worksthe same for White Brits going abroad. If the locals don't like it the government should listen and sort it out.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

PM to Chuka Harrison

Chuckle-Umunna-Vision?

• Options
    Gerry_ManderGerry_Mander Posts: 621
    BenM said:

An empty Queen's Speech from a bombed out, downgraded and discredited government.

A stain on the democratic history of this country that will hopefully be wiped clean in 2015 with the ejection of both Parties from power. Hopefully for good.

Why undemocratic? Have they sunk to the levels of the last lot and arrested an MP for lawfully going about his business?
  • Options
    @MrHarryCole: The face. RT @GuidoFawkes: WATCH: Dave Trashes Chukapedia: http://bit.ly/YumtVY [VIDEO]
  • Options
    oldfarteroldfarter Posts: 1
    Dan Hodges is an evil piece of work because he was rejected by the Labour party and now works for the torygraph. Bet him£1000 as it will be money for old rope
  • Options
    BenM said:

Sterling up 0.5% against dollar.

FTSE-100 up 0.4%

UK 10 year bond yields down 1.5%

Ben, you are clearly not an investor.

• Options
    Of course the mistake the Tories are making is that they can never win on this while UKIP exists to their right.

Agreed. Kind of makes you think that a UKIP/Con merger/reverse takeover is virtually inevitable at some point.
  • Options
    @dragontree

I'd be very interested to see rates of inter-marriage by national heritage, rather than the bizarre ethnic categories we have. I've never quite understood why Bangladeshis, Indians and Pakistanis are all classed as separate ethnic groups, while Black African counts as one.
  • Options
    @david_singleton
    Cameron says Labour "the party of welfare" & Tories "the party of hardworking people". The 2015 Tory campaign in a nutshell

Tessa Jowell making a speech about universal benefits helpful
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Does Janan Ganesh's support for a points system being the best one apply to European immigrants? It's also worth bearing in mind that family migration falls outside the points system.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

On topic, I have a lot of sympathy with Dan Hodges on this (apart from the silly odds). Ed is crap. I am convinced that a lot of people haven't yet noticed quite how crap, though they will come the General Election. That said, the cross-references between Miliband's ratings and voting intention suggest there are plenty of underwhelmed very soft Labour identifiers. The question is whether come 2015 they'll go Blue, Purple, Red or NOTA.

Every time I read a post like this I remember the posts confidently predicting a Brown epiphany to be experienced by the electorate in time for the 2010 general election.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @OblitusSumMe Gordon Brown's Labour party polled 29%.
  • Options
    @MrHarryCole: Cannot work out why Chuka didn't at least try to pretend to laugh. He's only one to give this story legs. Like being in Ibiza when it broke
  • Options
    In all the discussion about immigration, I think the settlement numbers also tell a clearer story than the immigration numbers. There are some informative charts here:

http://www.migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/sites/files/migobs/Settlement Briefing_0.pdf

In terms of those settling here, family migration and asylum total more than those coming to work.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    I read the Telegraph blogs quite a lot and it's getting me increasingly worried about just what UKIP are up to. I fear, though haven't been able to yet confirm, that they must be dabbling with genetic engineering. It seems clear to me that they have at some point plucked a hair from our 'tim' and produced about 30 clones of him, then educated them at ukipperversity.

Nothing else I can think of could explain the massive proliferation of insanely repetitive posters over there. I just had a scroll through the comments on Toby Young's blog supporting a referendum in this parliament and decided to have a look at a random UKIP poster's disqus page ("ryeatley" was the first I found with a disqus profile). He's posted over 13,000 times, and by scrolling through his last 24 hours of posting then searching for "UKIP" found that he's mentioned them 30 times in that time. Checking back further to make sure it wasn't a fluke I found it mentioned over 100 times (where my iPad stops counting) within 4 days. It's been similar statistically for all the other Ukippers I can find on disqus.

I'm scared. If these guys are prepared to clone tim then they're obviously prepared to put their short term advantage ahead of the interests of the country. Too many tims would rapidly use up all of the bandwidth available and rob the rest of us of the internet entirely.

And if they'll even clone a tim, just think who else they might be prepared to clone to advance their cause.

I think Farage owes us an explanation.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

@OblitusSumMe Gordon Brown's Labour party polled 29%.

Which was a lot more than predicted by some, and more than in many an opinion poll.

The so-called Brown epiphany did not happen. Those who had a negative opinion of Brown had formed it before the election campaign, and told pollsters accordingly.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    O/T there's an excellent summary of the County Council elections results from Andy JS. Only the figures for Suffolk, Somerset and Isle of Wight remain to be added.

Once we have those, the overall numbers will probably be something like Conservative 35%, Labour and UKIP 21% each, Lib Dem 14%, Others 9%. For those who wonder why the Conservatives are still committed to FPTP, this vote share gave them 50% of the seats.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dDFzVlVSWGtOaGlNQllBQjBmVzc0Mnc#gid=0
  • Options

I read the Telegraph blogs quite a lot and it's getting me increasingly worried about just what UKIP are up to. I fear, though haven't been able to yet confirm, that they must be dabbling with genetic engineering. It seems clear to me that they have at some point plucked a hair from our 'tim' and produced about 30 clones of him, then educated them at ukipperversity.

Nothing else I can think of could explain the massive proliferation of insanely repetitive posters over there. I just had a scroll through the comments on Toby Young's blog supporting a referendum in this parliament and decided to have a look at a random UKIP poster's disqus page ("ryeatley" was the first I found with a disqus profile). He's posted over 13,000 times, and by scrolling through his last 24 hours of posting then searching for "UKIP" found that he's mentioned them 30 times in that time. Checking back further to make sure it wasn't a fluke I found it mentioned over 100 times (where my iPad stops counting) within 4 days. It's been similar statistically for all the other Ukippers I can find on disqus.

I'm scared. If these guys are prepared to clone tim then they're obviously prepared to put their short term advantage ahead of the interests of the country. Too many tims would rapidly use up all of the bandwidth available and rob the rest of us of the internet entirely.

And if they'll even clone a tim, just think who else they might be prepared to clone to advance their cause.

I think Farage owes us an explanation.

It is why the kippers want to reinstate Pullman cars and steam engines on old railtrack and connect every village pub to high speed broadband lines.

• Options
    Some of the numbers in that last link are very interesting. It shows a completely different picture to the immigration data. I'm just eyeballing this off the chart, but it looks like about 130k out of about 165k come from Asia and Africa. 28% of settlement comes from just two countries: India and Pakistan. China and the Philippines are third and fourth.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

In all the discussion about immigration, I think the settlement numbers also tell a clearer story than the immigration numbers. There are some informative charts here:

http://www.migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/sites/files/migobs/Settlement Briefing_0.pdf

In terms of those settling here, family migration and asylum total more than those coming to work.

From the report:

"Family settlements mainly spouses and children; most spouses granted settlement have
    British partner."

So the only way to restrict this would be by insisting that British people who wanted to marry the nationals of non-EU countries had to emigrate. You could do this, but it's not something I would want to do, given my own experience of falling in love with a foreigner.
This discussion has been closed.