Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Punters unmoved by Jeremey Browne’s reported desire to succ

2»

Comments

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Afternoon all and with this talk about Scots in English seats and English in Scots seats, I was recently stunned to realise roughly 1 in 10 English MPs is actually a Scots man or woman i.e. born in Scotland. Lots of Labour MPs you wouldn't immediately think of as being Scottish and a few Tories too.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

TGOHF said:

You claimed people in Scotland vote in an anti Catholic way - you are utterly wrong.

No I didn't, you inferred that in the standard, paranoid way of your sort. My facetious comment may have just as much implied that people voted for someone because they were Catholic.

Wee, blue-nosed mooses, indulging in enraged victimhood since...well, time immemorial really.
    "JS's Catholicism might be more of a factor than the dead paedo thing."

Your words divvie - stop trying to run away from them.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,703
    Was I the only one who mis-read the previous thread as 'Labour's crotch'?

:)
  • Options

MikeK said:

The stealthy Russian takeover of Eastern Ukraine is continuing:

AJELive ‏@AJELive 7m
    Video: Pro-Russia activist claims to have seized Slovyansk airport to prevent Ukrainian airforce planes from landing. http://aje.me/1eErsZi

Nuke Moscow, simples.
    You are Kenny Everett and I claim my five out-size comedy hands!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsokGIeQFFI
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

TSE - your betting on the next LibDem leader shows certain St.johnian tendencies, aka covering the field. If I sold you a pup by suggesting Danny Alexander, I could certainly have saved you a few bob by dissuading you from investing in Vince Cable. Read my lips ..... FAR TOO OLD.

It was no pup.He was 25/1, he's now as low as 10/1.

Cable's age is no barrier, he's only four years older than Vince Cable.
    So Vince has an older doppelganger .... damn cunning these yellow peril folk ....

• Options
    There's a lesson in here somewhere

Maths teacher's £2,600 phone bill for downloading Neil Diamond album

Katie Bryan downloaded the £8.99 album from iTunes whilst on holiday in South Africa, but roaming charges cost her far more

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/10764210/Maths-teachers-2600-phone-bill-for-downloading-Neil-Diamond-CD.html
  • Options
    JackW said:

TSE - your betting on the next LibDem leader shows certain St.johnian tendencies, aka covering the field. If I sold you a pup by suggesting Danny Alexander, I could certainly have saved you a few bob by dissuading you from investing in Vince Cable. Read my lips ..... FAR TOO OLD.

So Vince has an older doppelganger .... damn cunning these yellow peril folk ....

Oops, I meant, Vince Cable is only four years older than the next President of the United States of America, Hillary Clinton.
  • Options
    isam said:

JackW said:

isam said:

felix said:

FPT

felix said:

felix said:

Who has rubbished Populus. I have just given the last six poll. One polling company has two polls that give a significantly lower Labour lead than the three companies that have done four polls giving exactly the same results.

People can make their own mind up where the real situation lies.

Lol - even funnier seeing the grammatical errors when you rush to riposte:)

If you are going to make clever comments about grammar, best to make sure you have riposted (!!!) accurately. You do know what riposte means, don't you?

Roflwmtita - as Corporal Jones put it - " they don't like it up em"

So you don't know what riposte means. Hint: you are probably best off not commenting on people's grammar on an internet message board.
    Clearly it's all a bit subtle for you:)

Perhaps. All I know is that you don't understand what the word riposte means, so you made yourself look a bit silly using it when commenting on another poster's poor grammar. But it's a minor point.

What am I missing here? Doesn't "riposte" mean "respond with a clever remark"?
    No. In the poshest parts of Surrey "riposte" means to repost and the former is pronounced with the final "e" being silent.

I am lost! I blame comprehensive education!
    Agreed on both counts.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,044

Is there a Tory constituency association that would want a leftish-leaning Europhile as its MP?

Rushcliffe or Sheffield Hallam

Broxtowe has had Europhile MPs for the last 40 years regardless of party - not sure we've ever differed on the issue. We also agree on gay marriage (pro), overseas aid (pro) and opposition to overturning the hunting ban, though I'm not sure that quite adds up to leftism (and I'm not sure if Browne is sound on hunting).

Anna Soubry is to the left of you.

• Options
    Despite those probably false rumours of an imminent LibDem leadership challenge, those nice people at William Hill continue to offer Clegg NOT being the party's leader on 1 January 2016 at odds of 8/11.
    The words "rope", "money" and "old" spring to mind.

Of course if you take the opposing view even money odds are available.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,056
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. Easterross, I wonder if that could become an issue if Yes wins. To be honest, I don't think so. I wonder if there's any recent and comparable precedent. Maybe politicians in the Czech Republic and Slovakia?

Mr. Eagles, I don't buy much music, but £2,600 does seem quite expensive.
  • Options
    F1: Mercedes' technical director is leaving the team:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/27026775

Paddy Lowe, sort-of-but-not-quite team principal, will take over his responsibilities. Toto Wolff retains his position with responsibility for commerce, marketing and Arnold Schwarznegger impersonations.
  • Options

DavidL said:

The only one of that lot that looks tempting to me is Steven Webb at 20-1. I have not seen that much of Tim Farron but what I have seen has been deeply unimpressive and well short of leadership level.

Farron's big USP is that his fingerprints aren't on the Coalition. If that is judged to have been an unhappy experience with an unfortunate electoral outcome, then nobody who was involved - Alexander, Cable, Webb, Lamb, Browne etc. - will be able to compete with Farron's not-me-guv stance. It's quite possible that this will be the key factor in the next leadership selection, though it won't hurt with members that he's vaguely left of centre too.

Steven Webb is your and my sort of choice - an impressive geek who is really interested in policy and doing stuff. His nearest counterpart is Oliver Letwin, and sadly they have roughly similar chances of becoming leaders.

Another view of Farron might be that whilst other senior LibDems, including the unlikely figure of Simon Hughes, took to the trenches for the Coalition, Farron was content to snipe from the rear and not get his hands dirty.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    JackW said:

isam said:

JackW said:

isam said:

felix said:

FPT

felix said:

felix said:

Who has rubbished Populus. I have just given the last six poll. One polling company has two polls that give a significantly lower Labour lead than the three companies that have done four polls giving exactly the same results.

If you are going to make clever comments about grammar, best to make sure you have riposted (!!!) accurately. You do know what riposte means, don't you?

So you don't know what riposte means. Hint: you are probably best off not commenting on people's grammar on an internet message board.

Perhaps. All I know is that you don't understand what the word riposte means, so you made yourself look a bit silly using it when commenting on another poster's poor grammar. But it's a minor point.

No. In the poshest parts of Surrey "riposte" means to repost and the former is pronounced with the final "e" being silent.

Agreed on both counts.

Can you help me out?

What is wrong with this sentence?

"... even funnier seeing the grammatical errors when you rush to riposte"

I cannae see it
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789

Katie Bryan downloaded the £8.99 album from iTunes whilst on holiday in South Africa, but roaming charges cost her far more

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/10764210/Maths-teachers-2600-phone-bill-for-downloading-Neil-Diamond-CD.html

After getting that bill she'll be Forever in Blue Jeans
  • Options
    JackW said:

No no no. You are thinking of Vince Cable who is older than Vince Cable but slightly younger than Vince Cable.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,639
    It would seem bizarre (to me, an Englander) for an Englishman to go to Scotland in some constituency or other and then try to be an MP there.
    JackW said:

The next LibDem leader can only be of the tiny tiny minority that didn't get bitten by the vampire and vote more loyally for Tory bills than Tory MPs did. Any current member of the government is an absolute non-starter, so that does put Farron in the clear lead. Sadly for the LibDems....

Apart from the fact that they are Coalition bills not "Tory bills".

Labour partisans can't seem to reconcile themselves to the fact that if LibDems can't be their willing fools then they must be Conservative willing fools.

Fools they may or may not be but they'll have earned the credit or approbrium for being part of a Coalition government. Further it will LibDem members who'll decide the next leader not "Rochdale Pioneers" and they will see things very differently to you.

The left are furious at the LDs for not refusing to enter a coalition government on left wing principle. Because adhering to what the Labour Party thinks is appropriate principled behaviour should trump being in actual power.

Off-topic, I can't but help see those pictures of Dave & Sam on holiday without feeling a certain fondness for a now departed poster....
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

JackW said:

No no no. You are thinking of Vince Cable who is older than Vince Cable but slightly younger than Vince Cable.

I am Vince Cable!
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @DavidL

' I have not seen that much of Tim Farron but what I have seen has been deeply unimpressive and well short of leadership level.'

The fact that Farron is one of the few Lib Dem MP's not to have had any position in the coalition speaks volumes. .
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,267
    Scott_P said:

You're actually taking something Polly Toynbee says seriously??? How cute.

She was also wrong, and said so on air. She did not mean 'any Scot', she meant any politician of any Nationality representing a Scottish constituency.
    No she did not she said any Scot in a Scottish seat, she only clarified the "Scottish seat" when pulled up by shreddie.
  • Options

JackW said:

Oops, I meant, Vince Cable is only four years older than the next President of the United States of America, Hillary Clinton.
    Ah, but men age more quickly than women [sob], so he's really around 10 years older than HRC. Furthermore, probably on age grounds, she won't be the next POTUS.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    David Laws trying to woo back the LD-Labour switchers at the ATL conference. (That horse has bolted I reckon...) Says should avoid continued politicisation of ed policy/need period of stability. Also that teachers should be qualified.

His arm's in a sling - broke his elbow tripping over a kerb out delivering leaflets.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited April 2014
    isam said:

JackW said:

isam said:

JackW said:

isam said:

felix said:

FPT

felix said:

felix said:

Agreed on both counts.

Can you help me out?

I cannae see it
    Indeed, unless it's the tautology of "rush to" and "riposte". Although as a graduate of the sciences, my English is not gud.
  • Options
    His arm's in a sling - broke his elbow tripping over a kerb out delivering leaflets.

That's his story and he's sticking to it!
  • Options
    Anorak said:

isam said:

JackW said:

isam said:

JackW said:

isam said:

felix said:

FPT

felix said:

felix said:

Agreed on both counts.

Can you help me out?

I cannae see it
    Indeed, unless it's the tautology of "rush to" and "riposte". Although as a graduate of the sciences, my English is not gud.
    Ok, it should be?

" even funnier seeing the grammatical errors when you riposte"

Blimey, does anyone fancy a pint?

• Options
    isam said:

JackW said:

isam said:

JackW said:

isam said:

felix said:

FPT

felix said:

felix said:

Agreed on both counts.

Can you help me out?

I cannae see it
    It's a clumsy sentence. The construction is poor and the use of "when" is misplaced. Perhaps the following might been more appropriate :

"Your riposte was even funnier given the grammatical errors."

But each to their own. We all have our own style on forums of this type.

• Options
    Carola said:

David Laws trying to woo back the LD-Labour switchers at the ATL conference. (That horse has bolted I reckon...) Says should avoid continued politicisation of ed policy/need period of stability. Also that teachers should be qualified.

The LDs must be worried about the teacher vote, the ATL would normally be a haven of LD support, but not these days.

Of course, if you're wee Nicky Clegg, with a constituency full of students, you'd be more worried about the undergraduate vote.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Vince Cable = Vince Cable +4
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

JackW said:

Another excellent example of tremendous value from the Coalition.

"Buy One Get Two Free"

• Options
    Mr. W, fora*

Second declension neuter accusative plural, old bean.

[Actually, I forget (from very limited knowledge to start with) whether on forums would be accusative or dative].
  • Options

That's his story and he's sticking to it!

That's what I thought ;)
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

Afternoon all and with this talk about Scots in English seats and English in Scots seats, I was recently stunned to realise roughly 1 in 10 English MPs is actually a Scots man or woman i.e. born in Scotland. Lots of Labour MPs you wouldn't immediately think of as being Scottish and a few Tories too.

It should come as no surprise. It's well-known that the English are the most tolerant and open-minded people in the world.

• Options
    JackW said:

isam said:

JackW said:

isam said:

JackW said:

isam said:

felix said:

FPT

felix said:

felix said:

Agreed on both counts.

Can you help me out?

I cannae see it
    It's a clumsy sentence. The construction is poor and the use of "when" is misplaced. Perhaps the following might been more appropriate :

Jack - You refer of course to fora ..... Oi!

• Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

Mr. W, fora*

Second declension neuter accusative plural, old bean.

[Actually, I forget (from very limited knowledge to start with) whether on forums would be accusative or dative].

I think it's "into" or "onto" = accusative, "in" or "on" ablative (or locative as appropriate).
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,179
    The world is looking better indeed. Alistair Cook has just scored a century for Essex.
  • Options
    JackW said:

isam said:

JackW said:

isam said:

JackW said:

isam said:

felix said:

FPT

felix said:

felix said:

Agreed on both counts.

Can you help me out?

I cannae see it

Crikey

Amazing the things some people like to get smart arsey about on here!

It wasn't my sentence by the way
  • Options
    Miss Carola, a friend of mine at school had a sprained wrist once. He got quite a lot of mockery for that.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited April 2014
    Some points that have been missed.

Vince could be caretaker. He has been before after all. That would save the lib dems from the agony of choice and some of those leadership challengers who fear the Clegg toxicity is contagious might just want to wait and see if Vince rapidly becomes a toxic coalition sh*t magnet like Clegg now is.

A great many lib dem MPs do actually know how bad things are. Clegg's ostruch faction only ever succeed in deluding themselves. The reason so many lib dem MPs seem fine with things is the same reason so many tory MPs have been so unhappy. To keep the lib dem MPs onside they were give a great many of the available slots for jobs at a junior ministerial level and other 'perks' of that kind. They were in effect bought off and it has worked.

That also meant there was far less of that to go around for the tory MPs which partly explains why so many of them seem less than pleased with the chumocracy and the Cameroons.

Sooner or later those jobs end but for right now it's a far happier place to be to keep imagining things will all turn round for Clegg than to contemplate leaving those comfortable postings and possibly even stop being an MP altogether.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    isam said:

felix said:

FPT

felix said:

felix said:

You're missing nothing - Southam can't bear to have any of his lefty friends criticised - it might be cute if it wasn't so sad.
  • Options
    @Morris_Dancer .. @Grandiose .. @peter_from_putney

Oh bugger - Three wise monkeys !!
  • Options
    There now appear to be as many as six Vince Cables. Hang on, who's this?

It's Vince Cable - slightly to the right of Anna Soubry but to the left of Dr Nick Palmer and Vince Cable.
  • Options

Miss Carola, a friend of mine at school had a sprained wrist once. He got quite a lot of mockery for that.

Yep, lads get a lot of that with wrist injuries :)

I've got a load of metal in my shoulder at the moment after a spectacular stairwell fall at the start of last summer (hopefully coming out at some point). I had months of: 'Were you pissed?' (no), and 'Better watch out for the security gate at the airport, hahahaha!' (wan smile)
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Sean_F said:

Is there a Tory constituency association that would want a leftish-leaning Europhile as its MP?

Broxtowe has had Europhile MPs for the last 40 years regardless of party - not sure we've ever differed on the issue. We also agree on gay marriage (pro), overseas aid (pro) and opposition to overturning the hunting ban, though I'm not sure that quite adds up to leftism (and I'm not sure if Browne is sound on hunting).

Less dangerous than her being behind you.

As Nigel Farage can attest.
  • Options
    Mr. Grandiose, ah. I recalled one case was for movement and the other less so.
  • Options
    Miss Carola, I hope it's not too painful, and can be removed fairly soon.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    AveryLP said:

Sean_F said:

Less dangerous than her being behind you.

As Nigel Farage can attest.

............................................................................

You put your finger on the problem there.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,611

DavidL said:

The only one of that lot that looks tempting to me is Steven Webb at 20-1. I have not seen that much of Tim Farron but what I have seen has been deeply unimpressive and well short of leadership level.

Farron's big USP is that his fingerprints aren't on the Coalition. If that is judged to have been an unhappy experience with an unfortunate electoral outcome, then nobody who was involved - Alexander, Cable, Webb, Lamb, Browne etc. - will be able to compete with Farron's not-me-guv stance. It's quite possible that this will be the key factor in the next leadership selection, though it won't hurt with members that he's vaguely left of centre too.

Steven Webb is your and my sort of choice - an impressive geek who is really interested in policy and doing stuff. His nearest counterpart is Oliver Letwin, and sadly they have roughly similar chances of becoming leaders.

Yep, that sounds about right for both of us!

I don't know if you saw my posts but I had great fun canvassing in Bridge of Don. By the afternoon I had been "promoted" and was responsible for running a team and collating the results which was rather less exciting.

During the morning I only got attacked by 1 dog (and it was quite small) and met a charming lady in her PJs who funnily enough did not seem totally engaged with my questions and seemed to want to be elsewhere. No real abuse from anyone. I may be hooked.

• Options
    Is Vince Cable running for president??
  • Options
    isam said:

felix said:

FPT

felix said:

felix said:

Sam

That is its primary meaning today, both as a verb and noun, but its origin is as a fencing term, meaning a fast attack after a parry, similar to a counter-punch in boxing.

Here is how to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y98ukMekKdA

If fencing with SO, may I suggest you remove the blunt tip from the foil first.
  • Options

"Strained wrists" were commonplace when I was a lad, but now simply referred to I believe as "RSI".
  • Options
    @DavidL

Is this another "confessions of a canvasser" story? I seem to recall both Sean Fear and Nick Palmer both encountering attractive women in their nightwear on their ventures with Jane Public
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

After getting that bill she'll be Forever in Blue Jeans

LOL. Excellent.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

@DavidL

Is this another "confessions of a canvasser" story? I seem to recall both Sean Fear and Nick Palmer both encountering attractive women in their nightwear on their ventures with Jane Public

I had the distinct impression I had interrupted something and in true tabloid style made my excuses and left.
  • Options

Miss Carola, I hope it's not too painful, and can be removed fairly soon.

Thanks - hope so... the metal's causing quite a lot of discomfort and I've not had a proper night's sleep with it for the best part of a year. Think I was stupid, with hindsight, to go straight back to work in the September. I had a number of injuries - A&E thought I'd been in a side impact car accident - but it could have been worse. Found out fairly recently that someone with a similar but less complex fracture was off for five months!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Carola said:
    Very little chance of Laws prevailing over Gove.

Look who is right behind Gove. St. George concluding his speech to the 'American Enterprise Institute' at the IMF Annual Conference:

But there is one area of reform that I believe is more important for our long term prosperity than all the rest – that can deliver growth rather than stagnation and simultaneously ensure that the gains from growth are shared.

And that is education.

The education policies we’ve been implementing, led by our Education Secretary Michael Gove, have been influenced by, and reflect, the work of education reformers in the US and elsewhere around the world.

The pioneering work of Mike Bloomberg and Joel Klein in New York, Bobby Jindal in Louisiana, Bill Haslam in Tennessee, Mitch Daniels in Indiana and Jeb Bush in Florida has inspired our approach.

You have – quite rightly – identified schools reform as the civil rights issue of our time.

The emphasis the AEI has placed on policies to advance greater social justice is nowhere clearer than in your work on education.

In both our countries poor children are disproportionately likely to go to poor schools.

In both our countries inequality is perpetuated by a lack of educational opportunity for disadvantaged children.

And in the United Kingdom we are creating the British equivalent of charters – academies and free schools – to provide disadvantaged children with greater opportunities than ever before.

A majority of our secondary schools – broadly equivalent to US high schools – are now academies.

And even though our nation is a sixth the size of the US, we have more students in total in academies and free schools in the UK than there are children in charters in the US.

This is a revolutionary breakthrough in extending school autonomy – and parental choice.

We are also following in the footsteps of the great work being done in the US – from Tennessee to D.C – to ensure that teachers are properly evaluated on the impact they make in the classroom and rewarded for good performance.

[My bolding]
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited April 2014
    Back on topic -

If Jeremy Browne is indeed considering mounting a leadership challenge (rather than simply defecting to the Tories), then surely he is doing so as a stalking horse.
    If that is the case, who is the real candidate? Answer that and it might be possible to make a few bob.
  • Options
    Yep, everything's rosy Ave. Gove will be leaving quite a legacy. I'm sure he'll be remembered for it.
  • Options
    @DavidL

She was a Yes, Yes, Yes voter?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

BobaFett said:

@DavidL

I had the distinct impression I had interrupted something and in true tabloid style made my excuses and left.
    True tabloid style would have involved you offering a couple of grand, calling up a photographer and getting the neighbours involved.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    AveryLP said:

isam said:

felix said:

FPT

felix said:

felix said:

Sam

That is its primary meaning today, both as a verb and noun, but its origin is as a fencing term, meaning a fast attack after a parry, similar to a counter-punch in boxing.

Here is how to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y98ukMekKdA

If fencing with SO, may I suggest you remove the blunt tip from the foil first.
    Spot on - although of course the pen is mightier than the sword:)
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,231
    edited April 2014

It should come as no surprise. It's well-known that the English are the most tolerant and open-minded people in the world.

Don't know what that makes the Scots - this analysis suggests that the comparable figure for Scotland is 23% ... to be honest, I think some of that may be 'no data', Unfortunately I can't get the charts to view on my PC, just the map.

Edit] Rather more relevantly to the original question, it may have the data in the charts (or may not).

http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/53041/1/Richard Berry-democraticaudit.com-MPs_are_much_less_local.pdf

• Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

Back on topic -

If Jeremy Browne is indeed considering mounting a leadership challenge (rather than simply defecting to the Tories), then surely he is doing so as a stalking horse.
    If that is the case, who is the real candidate? Answer that and it might be possible to make a few bob.

I think he's running for himself tbh. Trying to take advantage of being outside the government and the freedom that brings.

He may end up being the stalking horse, but I think his intention is to take a longshot at being either the leader or at least enough of a contender (trying to take the Anyone but Farron support at least).
  • Options
    Miss Carola, my sympathies.

I've never been properly wounded, thankfully, but I recall especially bad sleep really having a bad effect on my waking hours.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

JackW said:

Ah, but men age more quickly than women [sob], so he's really around 10 years older than HRC. Furthermore, probably on age grounds, she won't be the next POTUS.
    Have heard a well sourced rumour about a currently undeclared candidate for the Democratic nomination. Who's best to bet with for something like that?
  • Options
    JackW said:

isam said:

JackW said:

isam said:

JackW said:

isam said:

felix said:

FPT

felix said:

felix said:

Agreed on both counts.

Can you help me out?

I cannae see it

I'm not sure that "riposte" could/should be used as a verb. It's the same as repartee - a noun describing an action from an epee duel
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    Charles said:

JackW said:

isam said:

JackW said:

isam said:

JackW said:

isam said:

felix said:

FPT

felix said:

felix said:

Agreed on both counts.

Can you help me out?

I cannae see it

I'm not sure that "riposte" could/should be used as a verb. It's the same as repartee - a noun describing an action from an epee duel
    Riposte can be either noun or verb I believe, similar to parry.
  • Options
    Charles said:

JackW said:

Have heard a well sourced rumour about a currently undeclared candidate for the Democratic nomination. Who's best to bet with for something like that?
    Simply check out the best prices on Oddschecker (preferably passing on the candidate's name to me beforehand). If he/she doesn't yet appear in the betting, either write off the "tip" as nonsense or ask that nice Mr. Shadsy to offer you some nice long odds.
  • Options
    Charles said:

JackW said:

If it's Eva Longoria, then Paddy Power

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2016/democrat-candidate
  • Options

Back on topic -

Put up job?

Everyone's talking about him now. No proper speculation about any of the real candidates. They'll all be Jonnie-come-latelies if they do start
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    According to news reports no. 20 Grosvenor Square has partially collapsed.
  • Options

Nick — what share of the vote do you predict UKIP will poll in Broxtowe in the Euros?
  • Options

Charles said:

JackW said:

Simply check out the best prices on Oddschecker (preferably passing on the candidate's name to me beforehand). If he/she doesn't yet appear in the betting, either write off the "tip" as nonsense or ask that nice Mr. Shadsy to offer you some nice long odds.
    It's nonsense from someone who has just joined a presidential committee...
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    AndyJS said:

Former European HQ of US Naval Department, sold in 2009 for £250 million and currently being redeveloped. Also Eisenhower's HQ during WWII.

Suspect a construction error rather than collapse through natural deterioration.

Big lawsuits to follow!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,197
    AveryLP said:

And even though our nation is a sixth the size of the US, we have more students in total in academies and free schools in the UK than there are children in charters in the US.

[My bolding]

You could argue that that actually makes things easier for Gove not harder. Academies are directly under his funding control and hence he can change priorities without middle tiers (local authorities) interfering...
  • Options
    Support for Tories falls as post-budget boost is deflated after Maria Miller row
    Guardian/ICM polls finds Conservatives down three points at 32%, with Labour on 37%, Lib Dems on 12% and UKip on 11%

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/apr/14/support-tories-falls-budget-boost-deflated-maria-miller-row?CMP=twt_fd
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,197
    edited April 2014
    AveryLP said:

AndyJS said:

Former European HQ of US Naval Department, sold in 2009 for £250 million and currently being redeveloped. Also Eisenhower's HQ during WWII.

Suspect a construction error rather than collapse through natural deterioration.

Big lawsuits to follow!
    From a quick search

This also marks the expansion of Finchatton’s luxury portfolio, having previously focused on small to medium developments and private commissions, 20 Grosvenor Square will be a great step for them. Also with values expected to achieve around £6,000 per sq ft 20 Grosvenor Square could prove to be a highly lucrative development for Finchatton.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

Back on topic -

...... I think his intention is to take a longshot at being either the leader or at least enough of a contender (trying to take the Anyone but Farron support at least).
    Well yes, I can certainly see the merit in that - Farron certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea.

• Options
    Changes on VI

Lab 37 (-1)

Con 32 (-3)

LD 12 (nc)

UKIP 11 (+2)
  • Options
    Guardian ICM EUROS poll

Lab 36 (+1)

Con 25 (nc)

UKIP 20 (nc)

LD 6 (-3)

Green 6 (-1)

Others 7 (+3)
  • Options
    In the Westminster poll, support for the minor parties was: Scottish National party 4%, Plaid Cymru 1% and Green party 2%.
  • Options
    JackW said:

DavidL said:

BobaFett said:

@DavidL

True tabloid style would have involved you offering a couple of grand, calling up a photographer and getting the neighbours involved.

Or they join in.

LOL
  • Options

Guardian ICM EUROS poll

Lab 36 (+1)

Con 25 (nc)

UKIP 20 (nc)

LD 6 (-3)

Green 6 (-1)

Others 7 (+3)

According to this poll support for Labour is going to rise from 15.7% to 36%. That's a pretty big increase in the space of one election.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    The spread of numbers from the different pollsters for the Euros is bizarrely disparate

EDIT: You could say the same for the GE VI numbers as well really
  • Options

Support for Tories falls as post-budget boost is deflated after Maria Miller row
    Guardian/ICM polls finds Conservatives down three points at 32%, with Labour on 37%, Lib Dems on 12% and UKip on 11%

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/apr/14/support-tories-falls-budget-boost-deflated-maria-miller-row?CMP=twt_fd

Poor timing for the Cons on the ICM ref the budget and Miller - them's the breaks.

• Options

Guardian ICM EUROS poll

Lab 36 (+1)

Con 25 (nc)

UKIP 20 (nc)

LD 6 (-3)

Green 6 (-1)

Others 7 (+3)

LD 5th spot a possibility ?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,338
    Disappointing ICM poll for Con.

The Wiki polling graph was updated yesterday and the Lab line is now showing a pretty solid, consistent downtrend.

The latest Con move is also down but only very marginally - Con is essentially flat over the last 6 months.

But that Lab line gives quite a bit of encouragement for Con.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Poor timing for the Cons on the ICM ref the budget and Miller - them's the breaks.

Aye, interesting Labour also fell
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,338
    ICM Euros poll - UKIP figure looks quite a way out of line.

I've posted this before but I think a key issue in Euros polling is how the question is asked - in particular if people asked GE voting intention first and then Euros afterwards it is a subconscious prompt to give a different answer.

So is ICM asking the Euros question in a different way to other pollsters?

The "correct" way to poll the Euros is one question - ie how will you vote in the Euros - with no mention at all of GE.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    AndyJS said:

Guardian ICM EUROS poll

Lab 36 (+1)

Con 25 (nc)

UKIP 20 (nc)

LD 6 (-3)

Green 6 (-1)

Others 7 (+3)

According to this poll support for Labour is going to rise from 15.7% to 36%. That's a pretty big increase in the space of one election.
    Fine print says that it's without the usual ICM modifications that assume doubters return to their parties and Labour would otherwise be marginally higher:

The poll's headline findings may appear to suggest that Labour supporters for Westminster are more inclined to stay loyal to their party than for the European vote, but this seeming difference is produced by ICM's adjustments to the Westminster figures, which assume that many voters who refuse to say how they will vote next time but do report what they did last time, will revert to type. History suggests that this adjustment works well for Westminster, but the approach does not transfer so well to other elections. Without the adjustment, very similar proportions of Labour (87%) and Conservatives (84%) indicate they will stick with their party in the European ballots.

• Options
    isam said:

The spread of numbers from the different pollsters for the Euros is bizarrely disparate

EDIT: You could say the same for the GE VI numbers as well really

I'm sort of guest editing the site over the next couple of days, I'm hoping to do a piece trying to explain why there are such differences between the pollsters.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    I think ICM is right, incidentally - I'm meeting quite a few voters who say they'll vote Labour next year but UKIP now.

The general shifts are in line with the other polls - UKIP up a bit in Westminster at Tory expense, Labour largely unchanged.
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    The other thing to remember about this leadership 'speculation' is that calamity Clegg and his media idiots/spinners are exceedingly stupid.

They've 'floated' leadership names before to the press to try to nullify them as a threat and paint them as untrustworthy and disloyal. Farron has seen plenty of this as has Vince. Now it would seem that anyone who could be a possible threat on the right is getting 'the treatment' as a desperate Clegg tries to gloss over his own extraordinary failure over Farage and keep himself safe.

Problem is if you cry wolf long enough then sooner or later what becomes the story isn't WHO wants to replace Clegg but WHY he hasn't he been replaced already?
    The more leadership speculation there is then the less people will care about 'loyalty' or shifting the blame away from a self-evidently toxic Clegg.

You know who didn't make a calamitous fool of themselves with a Farage 'master strategy'? Every single one of those leadership replacement names including Browne and Ed Davey.

(though to be fair since wee Danny is in the quad and so close to Clegg it's inconceivable he didn't give it the green light and think it was a great idea, as usual)
This discussion has been closed.