Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Swingback is happening – how far will it go?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,702
edited April 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Swingback is happening – how far will it go?

The Omnishambles Budget of 2012 was perhaps Ed Miliband’s high point of the parliament. In that response, he set the political narrative for at least a Summer and put the government, and George Osborne in particular, right on the back foot. He introduced a readily reusable slogan and one which penetrated well into public consciousness.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Only problem with the chart is the starting point. If you'd chosen January 2012 the trend would look very different. My guess is that this month would have shown a 1% LAB lead.

The reason you've not done this, as we talked, was the diffifculty of getting the data for UKIP which wasn't being separately recorded and you'd have to have gone back to the dataset of every single poll.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Second?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422

Only problem with the chart is the starting point. If you'd chosen January 2012 the trend would look very different. My guess is that this month would have shown a 1% LAB lead.

The reason you've not done this, as we talked, was the diffifculty of getting the data for UKIP which wasn't being separately recorded and you'd have to have gone back to the dataset of every single poll.

I agree. It's a shame that the UKIP figures aren't easily available for all polls since 2010. That said, I'll see if I can extend it back to the election anyway and just have the UKIP line starting midway through the series. While that wouldn't capture all of their rise, it would at least show the position for the other parties - though it'll also mean adding in the best part of a thousand more polls.

I'm not sure Jan 2012 would have been a better start - that'd have been misleading the other way - as I believe that apart from the Dec 12 / Jan 13 period, there was a fairly steady trend to Labour in the style of a classic parliamentary term, from election to mid-term. In that broader context, the veto bounce was essentially an extended blip and one which was already wearing off before the Omnishambles budget, though that just accelerated the decline back to (and briefly beyond) the broad trend.

Either way, what I hope is that as each month progresses from here in, we'll be able to track the progress of the four parties in a way that takes out a lot of the very short term effects of both events and sampling variability. It'll be an interesting contrast with the weekly YouGov and Populus combi-polls, which should be short-term enough to pick up the effects of 'events', even when these aren't particularly long-lasting.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,055
    I don't there'll be a significant improvement in LD fortunes …… with consequent decline in Labour ones ……. until Clegg goes.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Crossover might not be good enough on its own, but with it surely comes momentum? Long way to go, and I'm looking forward to another 400 days of Basils and goalposts.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    I like Rod's by-election swing model for this stuff. IIUC it's showing Labour just edging the popular vote or thereabouts (thereabouts including Lab being a couple of % clear or Con edging the popular vote) which seems to jive pretty well with the current polls.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Crossover might not be good enough on its own, but with it surely comes momentum? Long way to go, and I'm looking forward to another 400 days of Basils and goalposts.

Most people probably aren't watching the polls that closely, so if there's a positive feedback effect it'll be related to Labour people panicking and plotting against Ed. But it's getting a bit late for that stuff; You can plausibly knife a leader in mid-term, but by the last year before the election the plotting window is pretty much closed.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

RobD said:

Most people probably aren't watching the polls that closely, so if there's a positive feedback effect it'll be related to Labour people panicking and plotting against Ed. But it's getting a bit late for that stuff; You can plausibly knife a leader in mid-term, but by the last year before the election the plotting window is pretty much closed.
    Activists probably watch more than normal people though?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Activists probably watch more than normal people though?
    I suppose it could gee up some discouraged Tory activists, but I'd have thought they were mostly already assuming a non-hopeless election. And close polling underlining the possibility Five More Years has the potential to light a fire under the arses of Labour activists, too.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    New YouGov Scottish referendum poll in the "Herald" :

YES 35% .. NO 57%

Last YG poll 37/52

Caveat - Presently sequence of questions and inclusion of Devo Max may have influenced result. Await full published data.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/new-poll-a-holyrood-with-more-power-but-within-uk-is-peoples-settled-will.23950673
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    OT

Does the COE's new attack on offshore assets and income mean that this is a precursor to a wealth tax = a tax on assets wherever held - if so there will need to be a lot more double-taxation agreements.
  • Options
    More worthy of note this fine morning than a Scottish poll was that our dear leader was posting at 2:48am ....

The news, presently unsubstantiated, from Bedford is that OGH was last seen being poured out of one of the towns notorious fleshpots in the early hours .... The paparazzi had apparently seen Mike Smithson entering "Swinging Here" cocktail bar and nightclub close to midnight on the arm of a bejeweled beauty only known locally as "Jacky S"

By breakfast Mr Smithson was unavailable for comment at his luxury home "Sandal Heights" in the leafy suburbs of the county town.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,906
    Not sure that chart demonstrates "swingback".

It shows a UKIP surge 12 months ago, Labour being pretty static ever since and the Tories making a very small recovery at the expense of UKIP.

Not exactly swing back.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Morning all and excellent piece David. I suspect the real truth is that we are in unchartered territory and 2015=1992, not because their methodology is flawed but because it cant yet deal with highly mixed picture in different parts of the country. We wont know until next May but my own hunch is that the 2 main parties have been neck and neck for most of this year and the rise and fall of Labour leads is MOE froth, with both really in the 35-36 position.

Just wondering whether on Saturday 20th September as the English waken to contemplate the fixtures for Man U, Man C, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea, the Scots will waken and ask, have we really just voted to separate?

May 22nd assumes a greater importance because it is Labour who is defending the high ground and in some of the key GE2015 battlegrounds.

Meanwhile has the Independent and its sister paper the "I" taken over as lead Labour cheerleader from the Guardian? Trying to create a story about taxpayer funded Tory gay sex orgies. Sounds more like something penned by one or two leading (current or ex) UKIP figures trying to explain why there is heavy rain.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    JackW said:

YES 35% .. NO 57%

Last YG poll 37/52

Caveat - Presently sequence of questions and inclusion of Devo Max may have influenced result. Await full published data.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/new-poll-a-holyrood-with-more-power-but-within-uk-is-peoples-settled-will.23950673

Economy recovery filtering through to all polls..
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

JackW said:

YES 35% .. NO 57%

Last YG poll 37/52

Economy recovery filtering through to all polls..
    Is that you TGOHF?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Opinium offer a graph of just their polls.

http://news.opinium.co.uk/survey-results/political-polling-25th-march-2014

I like this because they are one of the more pro-UKIP pollsters, and I always wonder how true the Conservatives number is in an average as it might be skewed underestimating UKIP support.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/7744
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,378
    It has been a much harder and longer haul catching Labour than the tories might once have hoped. But as we saw in Canada recently it is rarely too late. I suspect the fact that we now have a "big 4" (at least in terms of polling if not seats) will increase the volitility of support and might well increase the level of uncertainty in the polling results.

Personally ICM will remain the King until they are dethroned at a major election and I look forward to what they are saying early next week. (I have of course taken rather a shine to Populus recently as well funnily enough but ICM remain the gold standard).
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Good morning, everyone.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    DavidL said:

It has been a much harder and longer haul catching Labour than the tories might once have hoped. But as we saw in Canada recently it is rarely too late. I suspect the fact that we now have a "big 4" (at least in terms of polling if not seats) will increase the volitility of support and might well increase the level of uncertainty in the polling results.

Right now it looks like it's doing the opposite to polling volatility, because people who are narked off in mid-term can say "UKIP" instead of saying they'd support the opposition party. That way you only get half as much volatility in the two-party lead.

That said, a big unknown for 2015 is what will happen to the UKIP vote in the election campaign. We generally assume it'll drop because they'll get squeezed, which would be my best guess too, but if it behaves the way the LibDem vote has tended to then it'll actually go up, all the more so if Farage gets into the debates.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Do not forget that Populus did a methodology change in January which knocked 2% off Labour and LD figures and added 4% to UKIP figures . This effect will be diluted in an average of all posters but still present .
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,378

DavidL said:

Right now it looks like it's doing the opposite to polling volatility, because people who are narked off in mid-term can say "UKIP" instead of saying they'd support the opposition party. That way you only get half as much volatility in the two-party lead.

That said, a big unknown for 2015 is what will happen to the UKIP vote in the election campaign. We generally assume it'll drop because they'll get squeezed, which would be my best guess too, but if it behaves the way the LibDem vote has tended to then it'll actually go up, all the more so if Farage gets into the debates.
    I agree it has reduced the extent of the traditional opposition lead and therefore diminished the opportunity for classic swingback.

Polling in Scotland with 4 parties has generally been less reliable and accurate than for the UK. I think we are seeing some of that too.

• Options

I like Rod's by-election swing model for this stuff. IIUC it's showing Labour just edging the popular vote or thereabouts (thereabouts including Lab being a couple of % clear or Con edging the popular vote) which seems to jive pretty well with the current polls.

Rod's by election model's interesting and has as a basis the sound principle that by-elections always overstate the underlying position at the time but after correcting for that, are a good guide to the next election. I still favour opinion polls as a basis, because:

- There simply aren't enough by-elections these days. In the '50s, '60s and 70s, there's be dozens of by-elections in a parliament, representing a meaningful statistical sample. So far, there've been just 17, of which only one has been in a Conservative-held seat. By contrast, the 1959-64 parliament produced 62 such elections This produces two particular problems:
    - The sample can easily be regionally biased to an area of the country that behaves differently to the UK as a whole. This happened in 2005-10 when four of the 14 by-elections were held in Scotland, which subsequently swung slightly to Labour when England and Wales went more strongly to the Tories.
    - Temporal bias. Only four of this parliament's 17 elections have been since Jan 2013; there's a marked bias to the first half of the term - data which is likely to be least relevant to the prevailing political climate come the GE.
    - The model cannot capture the effects of any change during the campaign itself (debates or a 'well, alright!' moment), and doesn't particularly capture well a Falklands-type event which transforms the landscape late on, especially if it's beneficent to the government which then calls an election off the back of it. Fixed-term parliaments should take out the latter risk but cannot remove the former one.

That's not to diss it entirely. It's useful as part of a suite of information but I wouldn't trust much to it on its own.
  • Options
    F1: Haas to join in 2015:
    http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/9260767/gene-haas-has-revealed-the-fia-have-granted-his-team-a-licence-to-join-f1-in-2015

On-topic: I still think Labour will win, sadly. It's not a certainty by a long shot, though.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Another well executed article by Mr Herdson, thank you.

Probably reading the graph completely wrong, but it looks to me as though the Labour/UKip figures inversely mimic each other far more so than the other parties; the Mar 13 peak and trough for L/Ukip being a particularly noticeable.

Is there any reason for this? as it just strikes me as counter intuitive.
  • Options
    Mr. StClare, I broadly agree with that assessment.

Presumably it's the white working class (WWC) shifting from one to the other?
  • Options

Another well executed article by Mr Herdson, thank you.

Probably reading the graph completely wrong, but it looks to me as though the Labour/UKip figures inversely mimic each other far more so than the other parties; the Mar 13 peak and trough for L/Ukip being a particularly noticeable.

Is there any reason for this? as it just strikes me as counter intuitive.

UKIP not only split the right wing vote, it also split the protest vote.

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Mark Senior

I hope you will now think better and apologise for your recent remarks about Nigel Evans being charged.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    I see Jeremy Browne is exercising angst in the newspapers today. Poor man needs to look in the mirror, admit he is a Tory and then cross over to the dark (blue) side. He could be a true LibDem and fight his existing seat as the Tory candidate and gain it from himself, just as Lord Bob MacLennan did up here a generation ago when he went from Lab to SDP then LibDem.
  • Options
    In addition to the normal local elections to be held on May 22nd there will be approx 58 council by elections . Defenders will be

Labour 23
    Conservative 22
    Lib Dem 3
    UKIP 3 ( 1 elected as Con 1 elected as Ind )
    Green 2
    SNP 1 ( standing again but as an Ind )
    Ind 3
    Ind Soc 1
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    RobD said:

****** Orders more Tramadol ******
  • Options
    @Mr Dancer/Jonathan – cheers for the reply.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Mark Senior

I hope you will now think better and apologise for your recent remarks about Nigel Evans being charged.

Not at all , I made no presumptions of guilt re Mr Evans , indeed the opposite . What I have done on this board and elsewhere , has been to point out the inconsistency of those who presume(d) guilt of Lib Dems not charged with any crime whatsoever but ignored and did not discuss a case where someone had been charged .
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I think currently the Labour lead is between 3 and 5 percent with the majority of the poll bouncing in between or moe. What is most surprising is the fact that we get an outlier outside MOE on the higher side now and again but we have hardly got any showing parity or crossover.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Not sure that chart demonstrates "swingback".

It shows a UKIP surge 12 months ago, Labour being pretty static ever since and the Tories making a very small recovery at the expense of UKIP.

Not exactly swing back.

The key is the Labour lead but you're right inasfar as how it's come about is also important.

The lead has dropped from a steady 9-11% between May 2012 and March 2013, from where it's dropped to below 4% in the most March 2014. A six-month rolling average would show a peak for the parliament of exactly 10%, again in March 2013, from where there's a drop almost every month since (the only exception is that Oct and Nov 2013 are the same). The latest rolling average is 5.3%, so even if we think that March is a low outlier, there's been a swingback of close to half the gap. Given that rolling averages themselves have a lag relative to the current position, the 3.9% for last month feels about right. Local by-elections, while not wholly reliable, tend to the same conclusion.

As for the chart, it *does* show a swingback for Con: the monthly figures dropped from 32.9% at the start of the period to a low of 28.9%, from where they've now almost recovered that ground. You're right though in saying that UKIP affected Labour at least as much, which is in itself interesting.

Labour's peak came in May to Nov 2012. For the next six months, UKIP pulled roughly equally from both main parties and in spring 2013 took their final surge almost entirely from Labour. While that surge might mask some underlying churn (i.e. some Con to UKIP was offset by some Lab to Con), it would still be significant either way.

Since then, yes, Labour's tracked fairly consistently at 37% while the Tories have recovered a little more ground at UKIP's expense. Even so, the net effect is that Labour's not won back the 5% that defected in the winter of 2012/3 and while 37% is enough for Labour to win a majority, it doesn't leave much margin for error.

The question is, how 'core' is that 37%? What it probably represents is the 8% who were 2010 LDs plus just 29% representing pre-2010 Lab voters (which is frankly pretty dire). That might be a tougher group for Con to eat into. However, even if the swingback has been indirect so far, swingback it has still been and with UKIP at around 12-13% for most of the last year, there's still scope for Con to pick up support without it coming directly from Lab.

The other unanswered question is whether the Lib Dems can start to recover from the 10% they've been stuck on for most of the parliament? Their March score was their best in a year though that may just be statistical / event-driven noise (all the last 12 months and 17 of the last 18 have seen them on 10% ± 0.7%). If they can, where will it come from?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,970
    Looks like it's going to be nip and tuck. The fundamental issue in our FPTP system is that there is a left-leaning 35% or so of the electorate that really don't like the Tories and who in 2015 - in England and Wales, at least - will only have three realistic options: vote Labour, vote LD where they can beat the Tories or stay at home. It's how that 35% behaves that will decide things.

Interesting Herald poll on independence and clearly a signpost for where the No side needs to start focusing. The problem, though, is that you can't just give Devomax to Scotland, as it will require a complete reworking of the whole UK constitutional settlement; and that's something that will have to be agreed UK-wide. However, the Yes side has shown that it's possible to get away with prevarication, obfuscation and blandishment, so it should not be beyond the wit of the No side to do the same.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,367
    As others have said, an unusual feature of this Parliament has been the arrival of UKIP to snaffle most of the protest vote. That's depressed the usual Opposition lead but also depressed most of the usual swingback, since there haven't been that many Con-Lab switchers to swing back in the first place. I don't think the LibDem-Lab switchers are going to go back while the Coalition is in place - nor do LibDems, if you ask them privately. So the action is going to be about what current UKIP voters do. In most cases, the answer seems to be to vote UKIP or abstain (as about half of them did in 2010), but of course that could change.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,995

I think currently the Labour lead is between 3 and 5 percent with the majority of the poll bouncing in between or moe. What is most surprising is the fact that we get an outlier outside MOE on the higher side now and again but we have hardly got any showing parity or crossover.

This is an apolitical point even if it doesn't sound like it but the lack of Conservative bias outliers throughout the last few years or so has been plain odd.
  • Options

Opinium offer a graph of just their polls.

http://news.opinium.co.uk/survey-results/political-polling-25th-march-2014

I like this because they are one of the more pro-UKIP pollsters, and I always wonder how true the Conservatives number is in an average as it might be skewed underestimating UKIP support.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/7744

The same argument applies the other way round, if a pollster overstates a party.

That was why I wanted to devise an average that (1) took in several firms which do use different methodologies, (2) was not hugely biased to one based on an overwhelming output of polls, but (3), which did recognise that sheer numbers will mitigate any outliers produced.

As such, taking an average each of the five firms to have consistently produced monthly polls' own average for each month, weighted to account for their accuracy in 2010 and the frequency of publication (for example, Mori and ICM are down-weighted by 25% as they only publish one a month), seemed the best way of achieving that outcome I could come up with.

For reference, the pollsters are YouGov, Mori, Opinium, ICM and ComRes.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,995
    Leveled out my red on the prem last night (Net loss of ~ £26). Liverpool's home record is frightening.
  • Options

Do not forget that Populus did a methodology change in January which knocked 2% off Labour and LD figures and added 4% to UKIP figures . This effect will be diluted in an average of all posters but still present .

Populus isn't included, partly because of the change you mention and partly because they didn't publish any polls at all in the first half of 2013.

I've excluded any pollster who didn't publish in at least 80% of months, or which had at least two consecutive non-publishing months, in order to maintain consistency. This does mean that Populus' heavy polling since July 2013 is unfortunately excluded but that's the price of maintaining consistency within the series.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

In addition to the normal local elections to be held on May 22nd there will be approx 58 council by elections . Defenders will be

Labour 23
    Conservative 22
    Lib Dem 3
    Green 2
    Ind 3
    Ind Soc 1

Well at least the Lib Dems could only lose 3.....
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,996

Populus isn't included, partly because of the change you mention and partly because they didn't publish any polls at all in the first half of 2013.

I've excluded any pollster who didn't publish in at least 80% of months, or which had at least two consecutive non-publishing months, in order to maintain consistency. This does mean that Populus' heavy polling since July 2013 is unfortunately excluded but that's the price of maintaining consistency within the series.
    Desperate stuff from the yellow belly Senior
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

Mark Senior

Not at all , I made no presumptions of guilt re Mr Evans , indeed the opposite . What I have done on this board and elsewhere , has been to point out the inconsistency of those who presume(d) guilt of Lib Dems not charged with any crime whatsoever but ignored and did not discuss a case where someone had been charged .
    Speaking for myself, my problem wasn't with Rennard per se; that would get sorted one way or the other with the various reports. The problem was the hideous way the Lib Dems handled the accusations in the first place. It was utterly incompetent.

Thankfully, Conservative MPs handled the (admittedly more serious) accusations against Evans in a clearer manner.

As I've said many times passim, the political parties should be showing best practice in this area. If they expect private and public organisations to treat their employees well, then they should be doing the same themselves.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,996
    FPT @MickPork

isam said:
    » show previous quotes
    A prize what?
    I believe the correct word you might be looking for is hypocrisy. Hardly a surprise on here by now though no less hilarious too see it proved so blatantly time after time after time.

Yes I agree. Really does seem like one rule for one and one for another on here.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

This is an apolitical point even if it doesn't sound like it but the lack of Conservative bias outliers throughout the last few years or so has been plain odd.

Agreed. Given how tight the polls have been and how well received the budget was, it was very noticeable that not a single poll showed a Tory lead in its aftermath. The fact that it did not happen *may* be significant.

• Options
    timmo said:

Labour 23
    Conservative 22
    Lib Dem 3
    Green 2
    Ind 3
    Ind Soc 1

Well at least the Lib Dems could only lose 3.....
    The 3 Lib Dem defences are all pretty clear holds . They should also gain 2 of the Conservative seats and 1 of the Labour seats and the Westborough ward seat on Southend UA being vacated by an Independent . UKIP will lose 2 of the 3 seats they are defending but should hold Stowmarket North
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Agreed. Given how tight the polls have been and how well received the budget was, it was very noticeable that not a single poll showed a Tory lead in its aftermath. The fact that it did not happen *may* be significant.

One reason I think this is that Labour now holds aprox 36-37 coalition of Anti-coalition. Made up of Pro-Labour, Anti-Lib and Anti-Tory. Some have peeled away to Ukip, however, for whatever reason they personally think the best way to get rid of the coalition is sticking with Labour. Anything above this is a bonus to Labour and the fact a good proportion of these are voting against the coalition and not for Labour doesn't matter.It is still a vote for Labour.The challenge to the Tories is to get 7 percent above this figure for a majority as these people have not moved for nearly four years and look like nothing will move them between now and the election.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,953
    One unexpected feature of this Parliament has been a rightward shift among the electorate. Support for the Conservatives and UKIP has gone from 40% in 2010, to c. 46% now. That's due to the Conservatives gaining from the Lib Dems, and UKIP gaining from everybody.

Cameron said he had to get UKIP down to 5% to win. If he did that, he'd win an overall majority. I don't he think he will, but if he can get the UKIP vote down to c.8%, he's got a fighting chance of the Conservatives being the largest party.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    JackW said:

YES 35% .. NO 57%

Last YG poll 37/52

Looks seripously dodgy given Devomax is not on the ballot paper. Makes you wonder why Better Together want to ask a question that is totally irrelevant. Everyone knows Devomax would have won. Need to see the questions but looks like jump in YES even with the loaded question.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Looks like it's going to be nip and tuck. The fundamental issue in our FPTP system is that there is a left-leaning 35% or so of the electorate that really don't like the Tories and who in 2015 - in England and Wales, at least - will only have three realistic options: vote Labour, vote LD where they can beat the Tories or stay at home. It's how that 35% behaves that will decide things.

Interesting Herald poll on independence and clearly a signpost for where the No side needs to start focusing. The problem, though, is that you can't just give Devomax to Scotland, as it will require a complete reworking of the whole UK constitutional settlement; and that's something that will have to be agreed UK-wide. However, the Yes side has shown that it's possible to get away with prevarication, obfuscation and blandishment, so it should not be beyond the wit of the No side to do the same.

SO, everyone knows Devomax is not on offer and anything the unionists say on more powers is just bare faced lies. Better Together trying to keep up its numbers by doing voodoo polls including Devomax is real stupid.
    PS Difference is people trust the SNP as to date they have pretty much done what they said they would do , but everybody knows the Westminster parties always speak with forked tongue and will not be easily fooled with false promises of baubles. Offering Devomax or even a small amount of extra powers is not in their remit.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    It's ridiculously difficult to see a Tory majority without a UKIP pact, but to enter into one would be more an indication of looming defeat. Much, for me, will come down to GOTV. This should be theoretically easier for the Tories coming from defence of government. In 1997 they managed to vastly outpoll the risible 2001 effort, even though they were at their nadir of popularity and out of ideas. For Labour, they have to mobilise the change vote, although they are not polling like a party ready to sweep all before them, there is not a strong anti-govt position for them in the polls, UKIP are hoovering the protest, and it's more an anti-establishment position.can Labour or the Tories get some of this back? That, and turnout will determine who is largest party. I dont see majority either way.
    If the polls swing back to a ten point Labour lead, Ed will be PM with a majority. If we get crossover. It'll be Dave in coalition or leading a minority administration.
    Lib Dems should outperform their polling and retain 30-40 seats, UKIP might get a couple if they poll in double figures.
    Then. We have Scotland. Could Ed lose the chance of majority on the back of Yes and a huge swing to the SNP North of the border?
    For the first time since 1992, it's pretty much game on all ways around.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    malcolmg said:

SO, everyone knows Devomax is not on offer and anything the unionists say on more powers is just bare faced lies. Better Together trying to keep up its numbers by doing voodoo polls including Devomax is real stupid.
    Agree with this. It's like a shop which sells only Jammy Dodgers and Digestives asking its customers how much they love bourbon creams.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

One unexpected feature of this Parliament has been a rightward shift among the electorate. Support for the Conservatives and UKIP has gone from 40% in 2010, to c. 46% now. That's due to the Conservatives gaining from the Lib Dems, and UKIP gaining from everybody.

Cameron said he had to get UKIP down to 5% to win. If he did that, he'd win an overall majority. I don't he think he will, but if he can get the UKIP vote down to c.8%, he's got a fighting chance of the Conservatives being the largest party.

That assumes all current UKIP voters are instinctively right wing. It could equally be the case that frothy UKIPers are actually more leftward-leaning, but are socially conservative and anti-immigration. Many UKIP posters on here believe a lot of the party's current vote is Old Labour, so it's possible that come election time they'll either go home or stay at home. If either happens an actual 8% UKIP vote next year is likely to do significant harm to the Tories.

• Options

malcolmg said:

Agree with this. It's like a shop which sells only Jammy Dodgers and Digestives asking its customers how much they love bourbon creams.
    A better comparison is with Panelbase doing polls for SNP and wings Over Scotland .
  • Options

malcolmg said:

I agree, but it's not as if Yes has not been profoundly economical with the truth on any number of subjects - it's been like Project Fear v Project Fib. People will hear what they want to hear. And if Scots want Devomax within the UK, it should not be beyond the wit of the No side to frame a message accordingly. The added bonus would be that it would be good for all of us.

• Options
    The way posters spin these figures to their tribe's advantage makes me chuckle.
    Roughly, the polls show that a little over a third of the voters are prepared to go for Labour, just under a third of them want Conservative, and the rest either don't know or go for the minor parties. So, pretty much, on any given day, two thirds of people polled don't want Labour involved, and two thirds don't want the Tories involved.
    Fair play to the two main parties, though, as they will crow, come May 2015, when real votes have been cast, that "The People have Spoken", and they've got the mandate (probably with the Lib Dems as kingmakers) to save the country from the last lot.
    Truth is none of the parties are very appetising, and with luck, the Press war on MPs Sex, Drugs and Rock'n'Roll lifestyles might take a few of them down.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

That assumes all current UKIP voters are instinctively right wing. It could equally be the case that frothy UKIPers are actually more leftward-leaning, but are socially conservative and anti-immigration. Many UKIP posters on here believe a lot of the party's current vote is Old Labour, so it's possible that come election time they'll either go home or stay at home. If either happens an actual 8% UKIP vote next year is likely to do significant harm to the Tories.

About 25% of UKIP supporters do view themselves as left-wing, according to Yougov. I would assume that if the UKIP vote drops from its current 13% or so, to 8% or so, they'd split about 4: 1: 1 to Conservatives, Labour, Lib Dem.

• Options

malcolmg said:

A better comparison is with Panelbase doing polls for SNP and wings Over Scotland .
    How do you work that out unless you are libelling panelbase. All the questions and data on those polls were published and done by a bona fide company. They asked the question that is on the ballot paper unlike this poll which asked on something that will not be voted on.
    So completely different. Scotsman has already been forced to print a grovelling apology after questioning Panelbase reputation.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    DH - Thank you for a well thought out review - as you say we are fishing in murky waters and it is difficult to see which bait is attracting the fat trout and if they are biting or just tasting.

I do expect that the LDs will end up around 15% but where that extra 5-6% will come from I am not sure.

As EdM does not have the confidence of 40% of Labour's VI as the person to be 'best PM' and as a good leader, Labour's VI could be fragile.

However, the Coalition/Cons have not been able to solve five of GB's legacies.
    (a) The 2000/2007 false house price bubble - the effects of which have had a great impact on families and renters,
    (b) The overgenerous benefit and tax credit system (which for some has made them workshy) - once sweeties have been given away it is very difficult to withdraw them - even partially.
    (c) The almost unrestricted immigration policy and its effects on the capacity of UK's services to deliver.
    (d) The decline of our education standards compared with the increasing standards of our competitors.
    (e) The inability of our banks (through bad/no regulation) to invest in new UK technology and energy to enable the UK to compete on a global stage,
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

JackW said:

YES 35% .. NO 57%

Last YG poll 37/52

Looks seripously dodgy given Devomax is not on the ballot paper. Makes you wonder why Better Together want to ask a question that is totally irrelevant. Everyone knows Devomax would have won. Need to see the questions but looks like jump in YES even with the loaded question.
    Not quite sure where you get a jump in YES from ?

It may be the actual referendum question wasn't offered. The actual numbers show a NO jump of +7 but comparing apples with pears. IMHO it's likely no change and within MoE.

• Options
    We are now in a political situation like the 1920s. FPTP is good for two-party systems, much less so for four-party ones - which is what we have now, seeing UKIP as an English party, and with apologies to the Greens (who do, after all, have an MP which UKIP doesn't).

I rarely agree with Sean Fear, so it's pleasant to be able to say that I do this morning: the electorate has moved to the right (as of course has the Labour party) and it has done so because race is now as important as class as a source of political cleavage in England. Globalisation means that non-graduate labour, at least, which has to be performed in this country (e.g. harvesting) will - where it cannot be mechanised - be performed by immigrants and increasingly by young, single immigrants who live in dormitories and intend to return home a.s.a.p.

The "proletariat" in any sense recognisable to Marx has removed out of Europe and the English-speaking world and won't be returning any time soon, if ever.

The next problem for any government is to reduce the amount of healthcare available to pensioners so we die off sooner.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Mark Senior

You are quite right about Lib Dems not being charged. Here is one who was not

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2602802/How-Liberal-party-police-MI5-concealed-MP-Cyril-Smiths-industrial-scale-child-abuse.html
  • Options

malcolmg said:

I agree, but it's not as if Yes has not been profoundly economical with the truth on any number of subjects - it's been like Project Fear v Project Fib. People will hear what they want to hear. And if Scots want Devomax within the UK, it should not be beyond the wit of the No side to frame a message accordingly. The added bonus would be that it would be good for all of us.

SO , they cannot frame it as they cannot commit to anything. They will never agree between the 3 sets of liars and even then it would be open to next government to just shelve it. So there will be no offer, it is too little too late. They were pushed into not having it on the ballot paper , over confident as ever and will pay the ultimate price for their folly.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Sean_F said:

I'm wondering if UKIP can keep the Conservative vote down in this year's local elections.

In 2013, in addition to their wins, UKIP got ~800 (?) second place results. If UKIP can hang onto some of their EU Parliament voters in the locals, they could give us a jaw-dropper result.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

How do you work that out unless you are libelling panelbase. All the questions and data on those polls were published and done by a bona fide company. They asked the question that is on the ballot paper unlike this poll which asked on something that will not be voted on.
    So completely different. Scotsman has already been forced to print a grovelling apology after questioning Panelbase reputation.
    You have conveniently forgotten the Panelbase/SNP poll with leading questions in October last year which not surprisingly put Yes in a 1 point lead . You are presuming that you know the actual questions that Yougov have asked , we will not know until they publish the data tables .
  • Options
    JackW said:

malcolmg said:

JackW said:

YES 35% .. NO 57%

Last YG poll 37/52

Not quite sure where you get a jump in YES from ?

It may be the actual referendum question wasn't offered. The actual numbers show a NO jump of +7 but comparing apples with pears. IMHO it's likely no change and within MoE.

I believe the last Better Together poll, which may not have been YouGov had YES at 28% or 29%. If the questions are as suggested then this is just not worth looking at , need to see them first.
  • Options
    Making Scottish Labour fully independent of London would be a big move and one that would certainly make sense if there is to be Devomax. It won't happen, unfortunately, but if it were to prior to the Indy vote it would be sending a very strong message to Scottish voters.
  • Options
    Lib Dems are going from bad to worse..................
    The Liberal Democrats Are 'Pointless', Says Their Own MP Jeremy Browne

The Liberal Democrats have become pointless, one of the party’s most senior MPs has claimed.

In a fresh attack on the direction the Lib Dems are being taken in, former minister Jeremy Browne said there was a lot of "conservatism" in the party and raised concerns that it "protects the state and the status quo".
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/04/12/jeremy-browne-liberal-democrats-pointless-_n_5137383.html?utm_hp_ref=tw
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

You have conveniently forgotten the Panelbase/SNP poll with leading questions in October last year which not surprisingly put Yes in a 1 point lead . You are presuming that you know the actual questions that Yougov have asked , we will not know until they publish the data tables .
    I am not conveniently forgetting anything. Any poll not using the correct questions (ie leading questions ) is easily ignored. Indications are that the questions in this re having more powers is pointless as it is not on offer.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    edited April 2014
    malcolmg said:

Lib Dems are going from bad to worse..................
    The Liberal Democrats Are 'Pointless', Says Their Own MP Jeremy Browne

The Liberal Democrats have become pointless, one of the party’s most senior MPs has claimed.

In a fresh attack on the direction the Lib Dems are being taken in, former minister Jeremy Browne said there was a lot of "conservatism" in the party and raised concerns that it "protects the state and the status quo".
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/04/12/jeremy-browne-liberal-democrats-pointless-_n_5137383.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

I notice the HuffPo picked a snapshot of Browne wearing a blue tie...

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    malcolmg said:

JackW said:

YES 35% .. NO 57%

Last YG poll 37/52

Malcolm, a post from 'another place' we're not allowed to link to. It compares apples and apples.

'Calum Findlay said...

Let's compare this with Better Together's Jan poll:

Jan YouGov/BT
    Independence: 30%
    More Powers/Status Quo: 61%
    Don't Know: 9%

April YouGov/BT
    Independence: 35%
    More Powers: 57%
    Don't Know: 8% '
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

SO , they cannot frame it as they cannot commit to anything. They will never agree between the 3 sets of liars and even then it would be open to next government to just shelve it. So there will be no offer, it is too little too late. They were pushed into not having it on the ballot paper , over confident as ever and will pay the ultimate price for their folly.

The Yes side cannot make any promises either, but it has not stopped them. What Yes has understood much better up to now, though, is that the campaign is not about "reality" or "truth", but about giving voters a message they want to hear.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

Mark Senior

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2602802/How-Liberal-party-police-MI5-concealed-MP-Cyril-Smiths-industrial-scale-child-abuse.html
    That story really is quite chilling, both for the alleged crimes and the cover-ups. I also like the way that the Daily Mail have managed to get PIE into the story...
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I love fake science. There's something about the smell of pentapeptides that really gets the blood coursing in the veins.

Detailed analysis of swingback is in just that category.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

JackW said:

YES 35% .. NO 57%

Last YG poll 37/52

Malcolm, a post from 'another place' we're not allowed to link to. It compares apples and apples.

'Calum Findlay said...

Let's compare this with Better Together's Jan poll:

Jan YouGov/BT
    Independence: 30%
    More Powers/Status Quo: 61%
    Don't Know: 9%

April YouGov/BT
    Independence: 35%
    More Powers: 57%
    Don't Know: 8% '
    TUD, thanks , so my brain was correct, so it follows the trend even if the stupid "more powers" is a joke.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

I'm wondering if UKIP can keep the Conservative vote down in this year's local elections.

In 2013, in addition to their wins, UKIP got ~800 (?) second place results. If UKIP can hang onto some of their EU Parliament voters in the locals, they could give us a jaw-dropper result.
    In terms of projected national vote share, I'd expect UKIP to do as well in local elections as they did last year (22%). They won't field a full slate of candidates, so actual vote share will be rather less than this. I think that a gain of 150-200 council seats is within reach (4,300 are being contested in total). I'd look out for the results in places like Thurrock, Barking & Dagenham, Havering, Bexley, Plymouth, Dudley, Rotherham, Great Yarmouth.
  • Options

The next problem for any government is to reduce the amount of healthcare available to pensioners so we die off sooner.

I think there are ways around this, since technology is continually improving and allowing us to make more stuff with less effort, so we should be able to look after an ever increasing population of non-productive people, and that's before we look at things they could be doing that would be productive. But if the government does decide to encourage old people to die, there are more positive things they could be doing than reducing available healthcare, like reaching out to the elderly to promote extreme sports and fun-but-dangerous drug-taking.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,899
    edited April 2014

Making Scottish Labour fully independent of London would be a big move and one that would certainly make sense if there is to be Devomax. It won't happen, unfortunately, but if it were to prior to the Indy vote it would be sending a very strong message to Scottish voters.

Mr Observer, that's a very interesting point which I for one had not considered. Whether One Nation Labour HQ in London would ever permit it is another matter, as you clearly say.

What is even more interesting is that the SNP have just parked their tanks on Ms Lamont's front pavement with the guns poking into the wally close to - effectively - encourage the Labour voters and (I am sure) also the lower level party activists and members in Scotland to think separately from London [edit: HQ]. This is very clear in the speeches by Ms Sturgeon and Mr Salmond whose approach may surprise some and is certainly a very interesting tactical move -

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/apr/12/alex-salmond-labour-voters-scottish-independence

Which, on the standard Scottish Labour principle of waiting for the SNP to say X and then plimping for the complete opposite, will make the Labour hierarchy and nomenklatura even more determined that indy for SLAB of the kind you suggest will not happen. It would be seen as a defeat for Labour per se. Which will increase the tensions within SLAB still further.
  • Options

Mark Senior

That story really is quite chilling, both for the alleged crimes and the cover-ups. I also like the way that the Daily Mail have managed to get PIE into the story...
    The timing of the story is rather interesting, what has been revealed that has not been known for years and openly discussed on this very forum? - has the last remaining bigwig of the lizard conspiracy finally popped his clogs.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I do not think so. Many migrants have degrees and good educations, even if starting in modest jobs. I think it more likely that it will be Poles working in the government services and small businesses that will become frustrated by our own lumpenproletariat.

I have employed another couple of Eastern european doctors this week, to work with our Spanish and Portuguese nurses. This is what the future looks like to me.

We are now in a political situation like the 1920s. FPTP is good for two-party systems, much less so for four-party ones - which is what we have now, seeing UKIP as an English party, and with apologies to the Greens (who do, after all, have an MP which UKIP doesn't).

I rarely agree with Sean Fear, so it's pleasant to be able to say that I do this morning: the electorate has moved to the right (as of course has the Labour party) and it has done so because race is now as important as class as a source of political cleavage in England. Globalisation means that non-graduate labour, at least, which has to be performed in this country (e.g. harvesting) will - where it cannot be mechanised - be performed by immigrants and increasingly by young, single immigrants who live in dormitories and intend to return home a.s.a.p.

The "proletariat" in any sense recognisable to Marx has removed out of Europe and the English-speaking world and won't be returning any time soon, if ever.

• Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    The YES price has plummeted at Betfair during the last 6 months. It is not long ago that I was managing to buy at prices between 6.4 and 6.8

Betfair - Scottish independence referendum
    Latest prices

Yes 2.84
    No 1.33

Matched: £264,534
  • Options
    CopperSulphateCopperSulphate Posts: 1,119
    It's going to be a strange election, since Labour don't actually need to 'win' in terms of vote share or anywhere near it. They were only a couple of seats short of attempting a rainbow coalition last time even though the Tories got 7% more than them.

It means Labour don't need to try and win the main political arguments, just coast along throwing mud at the Tories and relying on enough sticking to pick up a couple of points along the way.

The fact that they can get in despite having clearly less votes is a ludicrous situation.
  • Options
    @Carnyx - It is an absurdity that Scottish Labour is not already independent of London given there is a Scottish Parliament. I guess that in the past this has not happened because it would make it much harder (though certainly not impossible) for Scottish Labour MPs to sit in Labour cabinets or to become PM. But the past is the past. Whatever happens in September everything is going to change and Labour's best Scottish talent is bound to be primarily focused on Scotland. It makes sense to recognise that now and to accept that there will be diverging priorities and policies between the London and Edinburgh parties, even though overall they share the same beliefs and world view. But unfortunately I can't see it happening.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276

I

The fact that they can get in despite having clearly less votes is a ludicrous situation.

True, makes you wonder why the tories oppose fair votes so much
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,899

@Carnyx - It is an absurdity that Scottish Labour is not already independent of London given there is a Scottish Parliament. I guess that in the past this has not happened because it would make it much harder (though certainly not impossible) for Scottish Labour MPs to sit in Labour cabinets or to become PM. But the past is the past. Whatever happens in September everything is going to change and Labour's best Scottish talent is bound to be primarily focused on Scotland. It makes sense to recognise that now and to accept that there will be diverging priorities and policies between the London and Edinburgh parties, even though overall they share the same beliefs and world view. But unfortunately I can't see it happening.

Keir Hardie was a great Home Ruler - one of his three aims (another was temperance, and I'm ashamed to say the third slips my mind). But as you say the past is the past.

As for Labour's best Scottish talent, that's no doubt true for future talent, yes. But one very interesting little point is that Labour in Holyrood is already selecting its MSP candidates for the 2016 Scottish elections - in other words making dam' sure that those comradely MPs who don't find safe Labour seats and peerages down south in the event of a Yes can't just come home and push them off the chairs with a sideways shove of the bum. Which makes it all even odder that the MPs aren't all coming north and fighting. Some months to go, mind.
  • Options

The YES price has plummeted at Betfair during the last 6 months. It is not long ago that I was managing to buy at prices between 6.4 and 6.8

Latest prices

Yes 2.84
    No 1.33

That's quite a dive.
    However I'm sure the Yes price will balloon after yesterday's game changing Yougov. Or not.

The guy (if he exists) holding a 100k slip from Hills at 1/6 must be feeling great.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    I have heard many commentators say that they expect the Tories to win most seats, but not enough for a majority. To achieve this, they would need to be about 3% ahead of Labour in terms of votes. I think this would be a hard task, unless a significant number of UKIP flirters return to the Tories. If UKIP do very well in the EU elections and Farage is given more media coverage during the general election campaign, I think it will be difficult for the Tories to regain people from UKIP. Labour will also have a problem with leaked votes to UKIP, but not as much. Then there is the tactical voting to keep the Tories out, which is still quite strong. About a third of the 2010 Lib Dem votes are expected to go to Labour. Labour supporters will back the Lib Dem candidate in Lib Dem/Tory marginals.

If I were putting money on the general election outcome, I would put a small bet on Labour winning between 290 and 310 seats. Labour should achieve a net gain of atleast 40 seats, given that 2010 was one of their worst ever performances. In 2010 Labour would have had anti-government votes, given the financial crash and Brown not being popular with middle England. Labour also suffered lost votes to Lib Dems, due to the Iraq war.

The other point I would make is that the Lib Dems are still doing really well against Tories in some areas of the country. I think there have been a number of local election results, where the Lib Dems had unexpectedly beaten the Tories. In Eastleigh the Lib Dems achieved a good result. So many Lib Dems in England will retain their seats and I even expect the Lib Dems to win a few seats from the Tories. My instinct is that the Tories will lose over 40 seats in 2015, as in 2010 they won many seats with wafer thin majorities and I am not sure the incombency factor will save them.
  • Options
    Big dive, but not as big as Rosberg to win the drivers' title, which has fallen (on Betfair) from about 23 to 3.75 or so.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Keir Hardie was a great Home Ruler - one of his three aims (another was temperance, and I'm ashamed to say the third slips my mind). But as you say the past is the past.

As for Labour's best Scottish talent, that's no doubt true for future talent, yes. But one very interesting little point is that Labour in Holyrood is already selecting its MSP candidates for the 2016 Scottish elections - in other words making dam' sure that those comradely MPs who don't find safe Labour seats and peerages down south in the event of a Yes can't just come home and push them off the chairs with a sideways shove of the bum. Which makes it all even odder that the MPs aren't all coming north and fighting. Some months to go, mind.
    Will be interesting to see all the rats running up from London to scramble for seats in the independent parliament in 2016, those that have not managed to bag a rumpUK seat in 2015.
  • Options

Latest prices

Yes 2.84
    No 1.33

That's quite a dive.
    However I'm sure the Yes price will balloon after yesterday's game changing Yougov. Or not.

The guy (if he exists) holding a 100k slip from Hills at 1/6 must be feeling great.
    Indeed.

I also seem to recall Mike Smithson or Shadsy naming a couple of vast NO bets placed at miniscule odds. I can imagine that an awful lot of people who place significant NO bets last year are kicking themselves at their own stupidity.
  • Options

I

True, makes you wonder why the tories oppose fair votes so much
    Beacuse the party managers are still in the 50's/60's, when things were the other way round!
  • Options

Big dive, but not as big as Rosberg to win the drivers' title, which has fallen (on Betfair) from about 23 to 3.75 or so.

Hope you were on :)

• Options
    Mr. Divvie, only Rosberg, alas. The Yes bet would be rather hedgeable now, as you mentioned.
  • Options

Mark Senior

The timing of the story is rather interesting, what has been revealed that has not been known for years and openly discussed on this very forum? - has the last remaining bigwig of the lizard conspiracy finally popped his clogs.
    For much of his time on Rochdale Council, certainly when he was Chair of the Education Committee, Big Cyril was a Labour councillor (and Alderman).
  • Options

Mr. Divvie, only Rosberg, alas. The Yes bet would be rather hedgeable now, as you mentioned.

Rather surprised to see CON drifting today on Betfair.

Euros - Most votes

Lab 6/5 Lad
    UKIP 5/4 Lad
    Con 10/1 Betfair
    LD 400/1 Betfair

• Options
    hucks67 said:

I have heard many commentators say that they expect the Tories to win most seats, but not enough for a majority. To achieve this, they would need to be about 3% ahead of Labour in terms of votes. I think this would be a hard task, unless a significant number of UKIP flirters return to the Tories. If UKIP do very well in the EU elections and Farage is given more media coverage during the general election campaign, I think it will be difficult for the Tories to regain people from UKIP. Labour will also have a problem with leaked votes to UKIP, but not as much. Then there is the tactical voting to keep the Tories out, which is still quite strong. About a third of the 2010 Lib Dem votes are expected to go to Labour. Labour supporters will back the Lib Dem candidate in Lib Dem/Tory marginals.

If I were putting money on the general election outcome, I would put a small bet on Labour winning between 290 and 310 seats. Labour should achieve a net gain of atleast 40 seats, given that 2010 was one of their worst ever performances. In 2010 Labour would have had anti-government votes, given the financial crash and Brown not being popular with middle England. Labour also suffered lost votes to Lib Dems, due to the Iraq war.

The other point I would make is that the Lib Dems are still doing really well against Tories in some areas of the country. I think there have been a number of local election results, where the Lib Dems had unexpectedly beaten the Tories. In Eastleigh the Lib Dems achieved a good result. So many Lib Dems in England will retain their seats and I even expect the Lib Dems to win a few seats from the Tories. My instinct is that the Tories will lose over 40 seats in 2015, as in 2010 they won many seats with wafer thin majorities and I am not sure the incombency factor will save them.

The Lib Dems may gain a seat or two from the Tories, but they certainly won't make net gains from them.

• Options
    Mr. Dickson, sometimes odds are just wrong. Cf Rosberg.

I can see why the blues would be third, but to such an extent is quite contrary to the polling.
  • Options
    WelshBertieWelshBertie Posts: 124

Pulpstar said:

One reason I think this is that Labour now holds aprox 36-37 coalition of Anti-coalition. Made up of Pro-Labour, Anti-Lib and Anti-Tory. Some have peeled away to Ukip, however, for whatever reason they personally think the best way to get rid of the coalition is sticking with Labour. Anything above this is a bonus to Labour and the fact a good proportion of these are voting against the coalition and not for Labour doesn't matter.It is still a vote for Labour.The challenge to the Tories is to get 7 percent above this figure for a majority as these people have not moved for nearly four years and look like nothing will move them between now and the election.
    I'm sure quite a few of them were voters who tactically chose the yellow peril to keep a tory out. The problem for Labour is that a lot of these may go back to the Libdems at the election so are currently overstating Labour's position and the ones that don't may be enough to see Tory gains in those libdem seats.

As for crossover (Yes, I said the dreaded word!) occurring, it might not necessarily just be a case of swingback. More well-timed interventions from Osborne (PBUH) or other cabinet colleagues could be enough to tip the balance. We shall have to wait and see what unfolds.

• Options
    F1: seems the Haas F1 team may be based in Brussels, which would be a shame:
    "He also owns factory facilities in Brussels, which are likely to be key for a European base."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/27001113
This discussion has been closed.