Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cameron’s handling of the Maria Miller affair: Across the b

SystemSystem Posts: 11,701
edited April 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cameron’s handling of the Maria Miller affair: Across the board voters were not impressed

The above poll, by ComRes for ITV News, was taken this afternoon after the news of Maria Miller’s resignation was announced and shows what voters thought of David Cameron’s handling of the expenses issue.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    FPT:
    taffys said:

His inability to master basic party politics will be the hallmark of his single term as PM.

Oh come on, the back benchers are just as much to blame. They complain the Miller thing is 'getting in the way of the message' and when they get their way they come out with d8ckhead tweets like that, when the affair is still raw and the press are hunting around for new angles to this story.

Fabricant prolonged the story, not Cameron. He's a senior tory party officer criticising his own bosses judgement.

Who even KNEW that Fabricant has waded in??? It's Fabricant not Boris. Journos do not hang on his every word though they do enjoy laughing at his hair.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    alawevans ‏@alawevans 1m
    "To fire someone at the first sign of trouble is a sign of weakness not leadership" Dave says on the day he sacks Fabricant....
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,322
    taffys said:

Fabricant prolonged the story, not Cameron. He's a senior tory party officer criticising his own bosses judgement.

Fabricant and his tweets have had it coming I'm afraid. He used the medium to laugh and sneer at Andrew Mitchell - the Guildford Four of Toryism - when he was being consumed by his own witch hunt.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Carola said:

Carola said:

Carola said:

'Thanks for all the lovely tweets. Look: I am still a Conservative MP and my personality and twitter fingers are undiminished! I ain't dead!' mikefabricant

'BREAKING: Veteran Tory MP @Mike_Fabricant sacked as party vice chair for tweeting "about time" re Miller going. Miserable day for Tories.' tomnewtondunn

'Been asked to resign as Vice Chairman, refused, so sacked over HS2 and my views on a recent Cabinet Minister. Still available 4 speeches etc# mikefabricant. Said thinks 'knee-jerk' decision.
    You can only p**s out of the tent for so long before you're told to leave. Knowing Fabricant, he'll go straight out and start p**sing in.
    Just wondering how it will go down with some backbenchers.
    They seemed upset that Millar was clinging on and damaging them and the party while Cammie looked on impotently. I doubt it occurred to very many of them that the actual problem was not booting out Fabricant all along.

Well they know now!

LOL

Incredible stuff. Dangerously close to omnishambles territory if this keeps going much longer.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    What else are we to expect when the great majority of voters would have burnt Miller at the stake - based on most of them being spoon-fed to their prejudices by the media?

I suppose the polling for Cameron would still have been a resounding shrug of the shoulders if he himself had covered Miller in petrol on College Green and immolated her live on the Six O'Clock news...
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Just musing on the footie and should Man Utd win through and Athletico Madrid hold out against Barcelona we might end up with semi-finals of :

Man Utd V Chelsea and equally mouth watering Real Madrid V Athletico Madrid
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    isam said:

alawevans ‏@alawevans 1m
    "To fire someone at the first sign of trouble is a sign of weakness not leadership" Dave says on the day he sacks Fabricant....

Except it isn't the first sign of trouble. Fabricant's been troublesome for some time.
  • Options
    this is my england ‏@thisismyengland 5m

Wow, it's like the a Keystone Kops version of the Night of the Long Knives in Toryland today. @Mike_Fabricant gone. Will he join UKIP?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    What else are we to expect when the great majority of voters would have burnt Miller at the stake - based on most of them being spoon-fed to their prejudices by the media?

Miller's problem was that she did not realise this.
  • Options

isam said:

alawevans ‏@alawevans 1m

Except it isn't the first sign of trouble. Fabricant's been troublesome for some time.
    Exactly. Fabricant's toupee has been a danger to anyone within five meters of him on the backbenches.

• Options

isam said:

alawevans ‏@alawevans 1m

Yes perhaps so.. but how will it play out to the public?

Fiddling expenses for personal gain? Cameron stands by you, and says he'll have you back

Criticise a much criticised project/an MP the public don't like? Sacked.

At the risk of siding with unlikely bedfellows Pork and Pouter, PB really seems to be the only place Miller=Good Guy, Fabricant=Bad Guy

Seems like defending Cameron at all costs out of stubbornness
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    What do the 8% of voters who think Cameron handled this well think handling it badly looks like?! Absolute proof that some voters respond to these polls based purely on tribal loyalty and some answer totally randomly.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    ukip voters are always negative to Cameron. No change there.
  • Options
    I type "Fabricant" into twitter and this is what I get

Daniel White ‏@danwhitepr 7m
    David Cameron sacks Mike Fabricant for having an opinion on HS2 & refuses to sack Maria Miller for cheating the taxpayer. Sums him up.

MARY HALL ‏@PsychVictim 7m
    Vice-chair of Conservative Party Michael Fabricant sacked for criticising Maria Miller on Twitter http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/vicechair-of-conservative-party-michael-fabricant-sacked-for-criticising-maria-miller-on-twitter-9249392.html

Dominic McDonough ‏@torydom 8m
    Shocked to hear about @Mike_Fabricant firing. He is EXACTLY what the Conservative party needs. An opinionated individual, not a robot.

Lichfield Live ‏@LichfieldLive 9m
    Lichfield MP @mike_fabricant insists he's still loyal to David Cameron despite sacking over #HS2 comments:

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 9m
    @Mike_Fabricant I take a rare few minutes off the Twitter thingy to attend a leaving do and next thing I know you've got one of your own!

Karl Frampton ‏@Karl_Frampton 9m
    Michael Fabricant sacked for tweeting 'about time' re #MariaMiller even though Nasty Mcveigh was knife twisting even before that.

Lescromps ‏@Lescromps 9m
    So they've sacked @Mike_Fabricant over dissenting view on HS2 think Cameron and co might live regret that #kneejerk #hs2 #knivesout
    Expand

Old Holborn ‏@OHwinsAgain 10m
    Fabricant had it coming. FAR too individual to survive the Borg.

Emily Davies ‏@EmilyDTV 10m
    What... the... hell? MT @bbcmtd: Lichfield MP Michael Fabricant sacked following criticism of the HS2 rail scheme & Maria Miller

Giles Goodall ‏@GoodallGiles 10m
    Oh dear, Tories' fratricidal instincts never seem to dim, do they? http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/vicechair-of-conservative-party-michael-fabricant-sacked-for-criticising-maria-miller-on-twitter-9249392.html

Biff Bean ‏@BiffBean 11m
    @Mike_Fabricant ...gone up in my books.

ARTIST TAXI DRIVER ‏@chunkymark 11m
    Can I interview you in my taxi now?@Mike_Fabricant

Ed Wilson ‏@eddwilson 12m
    @JosephineFormby Sacking senior people is untidy. Fabricant was a joke bag-carrier.

MrCEssex ‏@MrCEssex1 12m
    Amazing. Tories support Miller yet sack Fabricant. What utter wankers.

GoodnightVienna ‏@CallingEngland 12m
    @GoldenOldieC @Mike_Fabricant Wouldn't be surprised; seems to be the way of contemporary politics. Highlighted by the sacking of MikeFab

Yosemite Sam 1979 ‏@back_samuel 13m
    @Mike_Fabricant... First time I saw him I thought he was an Ali G type p*sstake.. #justsaying

Ian Davis ‏@iandavis28 13m
    @gemini2359 Is a Fabricant someone who fabricates?

raymond turton ‏@deffmick 13m
    #skynews Michael fabricant. Sacked as Tory vice chairman ! Pmsl. Torys in meltdown.

Leon Spence ‏@CllrLeonSpence 13m
    Don't usually agree with @Mike_Fabricant, but politics needs more straight talking, not the toadying that's becoming the norm.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    Fabricant story is barely believable. Ho hum. I'm off to drink bubbly with my £40 dinner and pick the England team. I do the same every night.
  • Options

The public don;t give a t8ss about Maria no-mark and Michael no-mates. They care about jobs, immigration, the economy, taxes, the deficit, welfare, health and education.

And on many of those issues David Cameron has done a reasonable job, despite the mother of all beastings from one doom monger or another, on one side or another, on one topic or another, for the last four years.

• Options
    Richard, Avery and Bobajob have put up passionate, well thought out arguments about employment law and cabinet ministers, and being hounded out of a job. Obviously, I can't argue about the legal niceties, as I do not have a Scooby about them.
    I'm just peed off that cabinet ministers who get binned can claim 18 grand (Avery tells me that's "only" two months pay for a cabinet minister).
    The likes of Huhne, Laws and gawd knows how many New Labour failed ministers were all eligible to claim it.
    Millionaire failed ministers, collecting not far off my take home pay, even the ones who resign in disgrace, but still keeping their MP job, and all that entails.
    That just doesn't sit well.
  • Options

Do you really think hard working families have time to sit around reading what some lobby fodder with an inflated ego has to say about two politicians they have never heard of?

• Options
    SeanT said:

JackW said:

Just musing on the footie and should Man Utd win through and Athletico Madrid hold out against Barcelona we might end up with semi-finals of :

Real v Barca is the ultimate final, tho, what with the Spanish government turning down Catalonia's bid for an independence referendum.

Perhaps the Castilians saw how *well* ours was going, and made the right call.
    No thanks - tika taka bore fest!
  • Options
    @isam

As a Vice-Chair of the party the PM was entitled to expect from Fabricant an element of loyalty to the wider party and himself. Instead Fabricant was self indulgent and for the sake of a moments self anggrandizement made himself eminently expendable.

Or as they say many a tweet makes a twat.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

alawevans ‏@alawevans 1m

Fiddling expenses for personal gain? Cameron stands by you, and says he'll have you back

At the risk of siding with unlikely bedfellows Pork and Pouter, PB really seems to be the only place Miller=Good Guy, Fabricant=Bad Guy

Perhaps some of us:
    a) Can see beyond blind party preference
    b) Don''t scream about Cameron when he has the temerity to breathe
    c) Actually read the report.

And I'm not saying Fabricant's a bad guy. It's just that as vice-chair, he's in a position where such outbursts can cause problems. And he's had several.

A better comparison would be Fabricant and Mitchell. Both had important positions in the party, and both had problems. In Mitchell's case the assault was coming from outside the party, and Cameron tried to protect him against unjustified accusations - and in hindsight he was right to do so. In the case of Fabricant, it's internal and wholly caused by Fabricant's own actions.

Fabricant's reaction will be very telling.
  • Options

Richard, Avery and Bobajob have put up passionate, well thought out arguments about employment law and cabinet ministers, and being hounded out of a job. Obviously, I can't argue about the legal niceties, as I do not have a Scooby about them.
    I'm just peed off that cabinet ministers who get binned can claim 18 grand (Avery tells me that's "only" two months pay for a cabinet minister).
    The likes of Huhne, Laws and gawd knows how many New Labour failed ministers were all eligible to claim it.
    Millionaire failed ministers, collecting not far off my take home pay, even the ones who resign in disgrace, but still keeping their MP job, and all that entails.

If 18 grand is what you earn full time as a fireman then I would say that is scandalously underpaid for someone who saves lives. I must admit I didn't realise that.
  • Options
    isam said:

Not exactly a new situation on here though, is it?

Of course in the end it's the public's fault because that doesn't sound desperate at all.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

If 18 grand is what you earn full time as a fireman then I would say that is scandalously underpaid for someone who saves lives. I must admit I didn't realise that.
    And of course who risks his own life to save those of others..

• Options
    taffys said:

Do you really think hard working families have time to sit around reading what some lobby fodder with an inflated ego has to say about two politicians they have never heard of?

twitter a reasonable assessment of what the public think I would have thought.

Where you pulling "Hard working families" from? What a strange thing to say
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    taffys said:

Miller's problem was that she did not realise this.

I had spoken to a number of Tory members. They all thought she should resign. None of them could explain to me what she had done wrong, they only skimmed the headlines. The Daily ukipgraph chose to exploit it as a successor to the expenses scandal in which they bought the date.They are still gloating.
    The ukipgraph is two-faced when it comes to supporting the Tories. Private Eye reports that the owner(s) of the DT have financially supported Nigel Farage.
    There is also no question in my mind that the paper wanted to damage Miller because of her association with press regulation. They have been vehement in their opposition.

• Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    I can't believe they have fired Mike Fabricant.

What the hell is Cameron playing at? He is just throwing his toys out the pram because he lost?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

BobaFett said:

Until you realise that all firemen do, 90% of their time, is sit around on their arses posting on political betting websites, in between the odd foray to go rescue a kitten up a sycamore.

*ducks*
    Talking of risking one's life...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

JackW said:

Real v Barca is the ultimate final, tho, what with the Spanish government turning down Catalonia's bid for an independence referendum.

Perhaps the Castilians saw how *well* ours was going, and made the right call.
    I see the point but Athletico have been playing some good excellent football this season, indeed in tonight's match should be out of sight already.

• Options
    BobaFett said:

Just under 20 grand take home. I'm not complaining, I love the job, but I've been told on here when talking about our strike action, that if I didn't like my pay and conditions, no one was forcing me to be a fireman, and if I didn't like it, I was free to find a better paid job. The same surely applies to politicians and cabinet ministers.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

BobaFett said:

Until you realise that all firemen do, 90% of their time, is sit around on their arses posting on political betting websites, in between the odd foray to go rescue a kitten up a sycamore.

*ducks*
    They rescue ducks too ?!?

• Options

isam said:

isam said:

alawevans ‏@alawevans 1m

Perhaps some of us:

And I'm not saying Fabricant's a bad guy. It's just that as vice-chair, he's in a position where such outbursts can cause problems. And he's had several.

A better comparison would be Fabricant and Mitchell. Both had important positions in the party, and both had problems. In Mitchell's case the assault was coming from outside the party, and Cameron tried to protect him against unjustified accusations - and in hindsight he was right to do so. In the case of Fabricant, it's internal and wholly caused by Fabricant's own actions.

Just pointing out that the public reaction to Miller, and to Fabricant it seems, is very different to that on here from Conservative Party loyalists who like an argument.

• Options
    SeanT said:

BobaFett said:

*ducks*
    Can't climb trees, health and safety says no. You need a tree surgeon for that job, he's got the climbing kit and training.

• Options
    BobaFett said:

finger on the pulse as usual
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Useless facts:

Total number of votes polled in 2010 by the Tories in Glasgow: 17,432

Total number of votes polled in 2010 by Michael Fabricant: 28,048
  • Options
    Even I can't believe Cameron has sacked Fabricant.

What a petty, spineless, weak little bully Cameron is. He is hollowing out the Tory party for his own vanity.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

alawevans ‏@alawevans 1m

Perhaps some of us:

Just pointing out that the public reaction to Miller, and to Fabricant it seems, is very different to that on here from Conservative Party loyalists who like an argument.

Best not to confuse PB tories with actual tory voters or members. PB tories are a very peculiar breed often totally out of touch with tory thinking, never mind the public at large.
    A swift look up at that poll tells you that they are VERY from from representational.
    As does this.

Mark Wallace ‏@wallaceme 13h

Last night we revealed @ConHome that 82% of Tory Party members wanted Miller to go http://bit.ly/1sxtFPh

They didn't get the message last night, they didn't get it today and they'll keep right on going because they simply seem incapable of getting it even now.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

alawevans ‏@alawevans 1m

Perhaps some of us:

I hope you're not implying that I'm a Conservative Party loyalist! That's fighting talk. ;-)

And twitter is not a mirror of public opinion. It's a mirror of the opinion of people with twitter accounts. And we all know the sort of self-indulgent to**ers they are...

*joins SeanT in ducking for cover*
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    I like "useless facts". The more, the better.
    AndyJS said:

Useless facts:

Total number of votes polled in 2010 by the Tories in Glasgow: 17,432

Total number of votes polled in 2010 by Michael Fabricant: 28,048

• Options

SeanT said:

BobaFett said:

*ducks*
    Can't climb trees, health and safety says no. You need a tree surgeon for that job, he's got the climbing kit and training.

You DO realise that's an entire clickbait article you just gave away gratis?

*chortle*
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    The poll is further confirmation that the Tory message of "Vote Nigel,get Ed" is only going to get them so far in attracting those who say they are voting Ukip.I wonder how far it gets them if they were to try this on the 77% Ukip voters who think the PM has handled this badly.As they always say.LIB/LAB/CON are all as bad as another.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

SeanT said:

BobaFett said:

*ducks*

*chortle*
    I don't reckon Sean would use it. It's a bit too Richard Littlejohn, surely?
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Okay, I admit I don't know much about Fabricant... 'bit of a joker' is about all. Can any Tories tell me:
    Is he popular?
    If so how will backbenchers react?
    Why sack him *now* - good timing or (seems to me but hey..) bad?
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

taffys said:

twitter a reasonable assessment of what the public think I would have thought.

Where you pulling "Hard working families" from? What a strange thing to say
    There should be a variant of Cameron's adage:
    "Posting too many tweets makes you a twat."
    Gee thanks!
    Any time. ;-)

I'm a techie, but I really don't understand Twitter. I should really dip my toe in, but when I sneak a peek the signal to noise ratio is exceptionally low.
  • Options

The poll is further confirmation that the Tory message of "Vote Nigel,get Ed" is only going to get them so far in attracting those who say they are voting Ukip.I wonder how far it gets them if they were to try this on the 77% Ukip voters who think the PM has handled this badly.As they always say.LIB/LAB/CON are all as bad as another.

It's a case now of "vote politician, get politician".

• Options

BobaFett said:

Just under 20 grand take home. I'm not complaining, I love the job, but I've been told on here when talking about our strike action, that if I didn't like my pay and conditions, no one was forcing me to be a fireman, and if I didn't like it, I was free to find a better paid job. The same surely applies to politicians and cabinet ministers.
    Well I don't agree with those sentiments. Presumably your skills (and indeed your rare bravery) are those of a fireman? It's reasonable for skilled labour to organise to get the best possible deal in their calling. I would advocate much higher wages than £27k ish for those who are prepared to put their lives on the line for others in the line of work.
  • Options
    isam said:

BobaFett said:

finger on the pulse as usual
    LOL. I forgot that I am dealing with the Man Who Speaks For London.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

Well I don't agree with those sentiments. Presumably your skills (and indeed your rare bravery) are those of a fireman? It's reasonable for skilled labour to organise to get the best possible deal in their calling. I would advocate much higher wages than £27k ish for those who are prepared to put their lives on the line for others in the line of work.
    Good God I think Im gonna puke
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Ever consider a transfer to this lot?:http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2011/12/07/9272989-firefighters-let-home-burn-over-75-fee-again

Now there is an organisation that knows its taxpayers!

SeanT said:

BobaFett said:

*ducks*

• Options
    IOS said:

Even I can't believe Cameron has sacked Fabricant.

What a petty, spineless, weak little bully Cameron is. He is hollowing out the Tory party for his own vanity.

At last the PB Millerphiles and the PB Millersceptics are united!
  • Options
    Mike Fabricant has always been one of the most socially liberal Conservative MPs, although fairly right-wing on economic issues. A classical liberal, in other words.

He was chairman of Brighton Pavilion Tory association at one point, his home town.
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826

I'm a techie, but I really don't understand Twitter. I should really dip my toe in, but when I sneak a peek the signal to noise ratio is exceptionally low.

How do you know? Just through searches?

When you sign up, you can decide who you want to follow (and un-follow). It is a different experience from dipping in.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Mick_Pork said:

SeanT said:

BobaFett said:

*ducks*

*chortle*
    I don't reckon Sean would use it. It's a bit too Richard Littlejohn, surely?
    No quite Littlejohn enough surely? It would not be terribly difficult to transpose that situation into the chaos of today for the Cameroons. Cammie as firefighter, Miller as helpless kitten and the press as evil 'elf and safety foiling them. I suppose Fabricant could come in as the tree surgeon. It certainly seem random enough for him after tonight's hilarity.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Mike Fabricant has always been one of the most socially liberal Conservative MPs, although fairly right-wing on economic issues. A classical liberal, in other words.

He was chairman of Brighton Pavilion Tory association at one point, his home town.

Even the Tories are lefties in Brighton Pavilion!
  • Options
    Game on!!
  • Options
    isam said:

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

Too many champagne dinners?

• Options
    Well that didn't last long.....
  • Options
    Carola said:

Okay, I admit I don't know much about Fabricant... 'bit of a joker' is about all. Can any Tories tell me:
    Is he popular?

I believe we may just find out sooner than perhaps Cammie would like.

Harpreet Khara ‏@HarpreetKhara 54m

@LOS_Fisher @tnewtondunn colourful and popular MP. Seems OTT if true @Mike_Fabricant —how about a @ConHome poll?
  • Options
    JackW said:

SeanT said:

BobaFett said:

*ducks*
    They rescue ducks too ?!?

Lol! You see you can do new jokes!
  • Options
    PB Golf Brains Trust Call

Might I ask of the collective wisdom of the sundry Sunday hackers hereabouts if perchance there is a tasty morsel of collective grey matter on the likely recipient of that male garment of the blazered green variety.

In short - a tip for the US Masters ?
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

isam said:

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

No it was your excruciating crawling

• Options
    Bollocks. Can't watch the game - not got Sky at the moment.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,004
    Good evening, everyone.

Mr. Llama, expenses aren't the problem, income is.

Anyway, I'm hoping some people will buy Malevolence and enjoy Saxon & Khan enough to give my other books a try:
    http://shop.ticketyboopress.co.uk/index.php?id_product=1&controller=product

Two other short stories waiting to be seen (sci-fi and steampunk[ish], neither of which are my usual fare). Hopefully one or both will get the nod.

On the plus side, my F1 race/qualifying bets are going strangely well. It's most unsettling.
  • Options
    isam said:

BobaFett said:

isam said:

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

Nah. My genuine view - if you don't agree, tell us yours
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,322
    Carola said:

Is he popular?

I imagine those who hate Cameron - be they Labour, UKIP or Tory - will make some brief and perfunctory attempts to turn Fabricant into a martyr. However, the Miller tweet stuff is just guff. The role of Tory vice-chairman is solely a gift of the leader. Once he'd declared he'd campaign against the leader's favourite infrastructure project, then Fabricant's position in the post was at an end:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/former-whip-michael-fabricant-lead-6928963
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

isam said:

BobaFett said:

isam said:

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

I agree fireman should be paid a lot more, I didn't disagree with the sentiment just your cringeworthy way of putting it
  • Options
    isam said:

BobaFett said:

isam said:

BobaFett said:

isam said:

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

I agree fireman should be paid a lot more, I didn't disagree with the sentiment just your cringeworthy way of putting it
    Fair enough, I can see how you read it that way. Not intended.
  • Options

Ever consider a transfer to this lot?:http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2011/12/07/9272989-firefighters-let-home-burn-over-75-fee-again

SeanT said:

BobaFett said:

*ducks*

I love stories like that, its just plain barmy. Seriously, the standards of firefighter training, competence and procedures in the US is just so random, it's scary. It veers from gungho to keystone cops and all points in between, from FDNY to Hicksville. Whenever I give a watch technical training lecture, I always manage to find a YouTube vid from America on how NOT to do it.

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    Ed really doesn't come off well in this coverage. Obviously this is mainly about the Tories having to back up, and that's quite right - however despite the reasonably careful lengths that Labour have taken to not be seen to be schoolboys in a playground remarkably Ed seems to have circumvented them.

Fabricant seems to want to rush into the Zulu spears. Ho hum.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    On Topic

Why don't any of the bars on the charts add up to 100%?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    "I would advocate much higher wages than £27k ish for those who are prepared to put their lives on the line for others in the line of work."

How much higher would think is acceptable?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Next said:

How do you know? Just through searches?

When you sign up, you can decide who you want to follow (and un-follow). It is a different experience from dipping in.
    I don't know for sure. But there hasn't yet been a time when I've thought: "Oh my goodness, I missed something really important because I'm not on Twitter." But perhaps I don't know I'm missing something.

It was such a moment that finally got me onto FB.

It also seems to bring out the worst in people.
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    SeanT said:

Why should they be paid "a lot more"? Seriously? Just because it's a job that *sounds* brave?

Ludicrous. If they can recruit enough firemen to do the job at £18k a year - presumably attracted by the macho image, the occasional excitement, the endless women in love with the uniform, the ability to post on pb during the 90% of the day when there's nothing to do (and good luck to firemen who sign on for that, I hope they all get laid) - then £18k is the right salary.

Or maybe we should just give them £90k cause it sounds nice.

Interesting. Using similar logic, please tell us how much you think MPs should be paid.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

SeanT said:

BobaFett said:

*ducks*

I love stories like that, its just plain barmy. Seriously, the standards of firefighter training, competence and procedures in the US is just so random, it's scary. It veers from gungho to keystone cops and all points in between, from FDNY to Hicksville. Whenever I give a watch technical training lecture, I always manage to find a YouTube vid from America on how NOT to do it.

That's all very well but how would you cope with a mockney emergency? No laughing matter as these cheeky loveable scamps are hard as nails yet all too prone to combusting into effete columnists flaming and prancing all over the place shouting "Gertcha!" and "mashed potatoes!" A danger to others and a danger to themselves if not immediately doused in water.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805

Carola said:

Is he popular?

I imagine those who hate Cameron - be they Labour, UKIP or Tory - will make some brief and perfunctory attempts to turn Fabricant into a martyr. However, the Miller tweet stuff is just guff. The role of Tory vice-chairman is solely a gift of the leader. Once he'd declared he'd campaign against the leader's favourite infrastructure project, then Fabricant's position in the post was at an end:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/former-whip-michael-fabricant-lead-6928963
    What do you reckon re the timing?
  • Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516

SeanT said:

BobaFett said:

*ducks*

Watched firemen "rescue" a cat from a particularly high tree a few years ago. Forget the ladders, a firehose at just enough pressure to reach the cat and a soggy moggy decided to come down on its own. Did it go up to the firemen to thank them? Nope, once it reached touch down on earth it was off at full speed.

• Options
    "Michael Fabricant ‏@Mike_Fabricant 21h

And after dinner and my talk to Holborn & St Pancras Conservatives, I climbed Primrose Hill. 1st time. What a view! pic.twitter.com/OcA6VB5tjD"

twitter.com/Mike_Fabricant/status/453660258989518848
  • Options
    SeanT said:

isam said:

BobaFett said:

isam said:

BobaFett said:

isam said:

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

Why should they be paid "a lot more"? Seriously? Just because it's a job that *sounds* brave?

Ludicrous. If they can recruit enough firemen to do the job at £18k a year - presumably attracted by the macho image, the occasional excitement, the endless women in love with the uniform, the ability to post on pb during the 90% of the day when there's nothing to do (and good luck to firemen who sign on for that, I hope they all get laid) - then £18k is the right salary.

Or maybe we should just give them £90k cause it sounds nice.

I get the feeling you're being argumentative for the sake of it because of the Londoner thing (as last night you tried to bring a racial element into the debate that hadn't previously existed with your Pakistani comment), but anyway, I didn't say £90k, I just think they should take home more than £18k even if a lot of the time they are on standby.

Feel free to disagree, its not a big deal
  • Options
    Welcome to pb.com, Mr. Barnes.

Could be worse. The Coalition could've continued Labour's work and introduced ID cards whilst at the same time shafting the economy.
  • Options
    Bit blunt yet I somehow doubt it's a rogue viewpoint after todays minishambles.

Brydon ‏@Brydon_N 29m

Cameron backs Miller then sacks Fabricant for stating the f**king obvious .. My loyalty and support now strained #Tory #DavidCameron
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    These squalls come and go for all governments. I doubt the effects will be particularly long lasting, though the timing is unfortunate with the euro elections so close.

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Welcome to pb.com, Mr. Barnes.

Could be worse. The Coalition could've continued Labour's work and introduced ID cards whilst at the same time shafting the economy.

Or missing a open goal ;-)

http://order-order.com/2014/04/09/ed-westland-miliband-misses-open-goal/
  • Options
    Mr. Johnno, are you suggesting Ed Miliband is the Pastor Maldonado of British politics?
  • Options
    @Seant

Or maybe we should just give them £90k cause it sounds nic

You're right, it's not like Backdraft or Chicago Fire every minute of the day, any firey who says it is is a Walt, but it has it's moments. There's no sitting around drinking tea, no snooker tables, no volleyball. It's training, equipment tests, fire safety, visits, water plans, more training.
    I've never posted from work, as far as i can remember, we have a restrictive mobile phone policy. I can't fault your logic, on the ladies, I've always punched above my weigh, no complaints!
    I'm not asking for more money, I manage on 28 grand a year (19 takehome). I wouldn't mind a bit more, obviously. If they could have just left my pension alone, though....

• Options
    SeanT said:

"I would advocate much higher wages than £27k ish for those who are prepared to put their lives on the line for others in the line of work."

How much higher would think is acceptable?

I'd be interested to know how much they think we should give British Army soldiers, if they are so worried about underpaid firemen.

Firemen risk occasional injury, and, very very rarely, death. About 7 or 8 die a year, as far as I can see from a quick Google. Also from a swift Google, there seems to be about 35,000 firefighters in the UK.

So you'd have to be a fireman for about 4,000 years before you're likely to die, in the job, on average.

4000 years.

Fishermen, by contrast, die at FAR greater rates.

Indeed if America is anything to go by, firefighting is one of the safest jobs you can have, not much riskier than being a... cashier.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2013/01/08/168897140/the-deadliest-jobs-in-america-in-one-graphic

Sentimental lefty halfwits. It is always a challenge to underestimate their intelligence.
    You also have to take into account the perks of the job. Firemen get to play with some cool kit. Soldiers, on the other hand, get to play with some *seriously* cool kit. Although I daresay after twenty years said kit is probably no longer either fun or cool.

On that account, my job must have less perks that a McD's burger flipper. No-one ever got pulled by saying: "Hey doll, I was just playing with my new handheld spectrum analyser!"

Your job has some of the best perks. Git.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

BobaFett said:

isam said:

BobaFett said:

isam said:

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

I get the feeling you're being argumentative for the sake of it because of the Londoner thing (as last night you tried to bring a racial element into the debate that hadn't previously existed with your Pakistani comment), but anyway, I didn't say £90k, I just think they should take home more than £18k even if a lot of the time they are on standby.

Feel free to disagree, its not a big deal
    I'm not disagreeing, I am - once more - pointing out, with accompanying evidence, that you are completely misinformed and entirely wrong.

There is a difference between disagreement and comprehensive rebuttal, which you would do well to learn.

Here are the death stats for firemen in the USA, I doubt the UK is much different.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2013/01/08/168897140/the-deadliest-jobs-in-america-in-one-graphic

Perhaps we should pay cashiers £100k a year, for bravely risking death by till-explosion.
    "Completely misinformed and entirely wrong" for saying I think fireman should get a lot more than £27k a year?

I think you're trying too hard
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    I think PB is turning into a religious site. The piety of some on here suggests that they should be talking holy orders.
  • Options
    Barnes said:

Is a Telegraph blogger, let's say for the sake of argument, more valuable to society than a fireman?

A mockney is the most valuable of all. The gift to comedy is simply priceless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJuIH721oIk

:)
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,893

SeanT said:

BobaFett said:

*ducks*

How about two or three links to your favourites?

• Options
    Mr. Root, is this a reference to my forthcoming ascension to the Archbishopric of Canterbury?
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Mick_Pork said:

Barnes said:

Is a Telegraph blogger, let's say for the sake of argument, more valuable to society than a fireman?

A mockney is the most valuable of all. The gift to comedy is simply priceless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJuIH721oIk

Phoney cockneys are called mockneys. Should we call fake Scots like you Mock Jocks ?
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Evening all, have I missed anything from the master of PR tonight? Rumours are he has fecked up even more, just to get Miller off the front pages. On the bright side at least we know he wouldn't just sack anyone at the first sign of trouble....oh no.

• Options

I think PB is turning into a religious site. The piety of some on here suggests that they should be talking holy orders.

Bless you my son ....

• Options
    "The newly discovered Heartbleed bug is being called the Web’s worst security bug ever.

It allows hackers to steal passwords and login details when users visit vulnerable sites — undetected. That’s the bad part: affected sites probably have no idea they’re vulnerable. The bug is subject to an emergency security advisory. Some experts are estimating that up to 66% of the Internet’s servers could be affected. Each server has to be fixed manually. So it could take a while."

http://www.cultofmac.com/273524/heartbleed-security-bug-apple-users-need-know/#AeoCfkZkwt3vKtad.99
  • Options
    Fabricant was / is a tory grassroots champion.

I'm guessing a couple of hundred more members leave and join UKIP.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    JackW said:

PB Golf Brains Trust Call

Might I ask of the collective wisdom of the sundry Sunday hackers hereabouts if perchance there is a tasty morsel of collective grey matter on the likely recipient of that male garment of the blazered green variety.

In short - a tip for the US Masters ?

I can give you three likely and one unlikely winner of this years masters.
    1. Matt Kuchar
    2. Jason Day
    3. Dustin Johnson

And in the unlikely event that he starts playing well, Ernie Els. I would love to see Ernie in a Green Jacket.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Andrew Ducker ‏@andrewducker 58m

The photographer who could not capture Tony Blair, because "there was nothing there" http://bcove.me/hsfj3s20

All too true but sadly likely to upset those who adore Blair like monica.

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

BBC Breaking News ✔ @BBCBreaking

Lord Myners quits board of UK Co-operative Group after criticism of his proposals to reform the troubled mutual http://bbc.in/1qjfQSH

• Options
    Mr. T, just curious (as I've been thinking about this lately), when you're writing do you plan in detail ahead of time, or work more spontaneously?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

SeanT said:

BobaFett said:

*ducks*

How about two or three links to your favourites?

I'm on a tablet that doesn't play well with YouTube, but try this one. It's private fire departments, same as the link that DoctorFox posted. We like to use this one as an argument against privatisation!

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=MrFFU5OOFMGV7AbnhoH4Dw&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhD_5T4F7aw&cd=1&ved=0CCsQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNEocq5T5DqbhCmC9CdU0xt6Im0fBQ&sig2=O3baZBQ9v7vTk8xHUISj6g
This discussion has been closed.