Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tories slip back sharply in the latest PB YouGov Weekly

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited April 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tories slip back sharply in the latest PB YouGov Weekly Average as UKIP jumps 2pc

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress
with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First!!
  • Options
    5% Labour lead (39% vs 34%) according to the latest YouGov Polling Report. The would-be crossover looks to be light years away.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Not sure the evidence supports your claim "the budget bounce is over".

Surely more likely is that the Tories gained some from the budget (partially offset by Royal Mail) and then Farage gained some (mainly from the Tories) from the EU debate? I suspect the Tories would be worse off if the budget hadn't been so effective...
  • Options
    That 8/1 from Ladbrokes for Labour winning 351 - 375 GE seats is still available, mmm ..... looks tasty!
    DYOR
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    That would be about 90 gains, wouldn't it? Seat moves as big as that are quite rare.

4/1 on 326-350 though may be a better option.

That 8/1 from Ladbrokes for Labour winning 351 - 375 GE seats is still available, mmm ..... looks tasty!
    DYOR

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,360
    Uncharacteristic silence from me for two days - I've been staying in a house which turned out to be without internet access. Just temporarily accessing at the moment - back to normal tomorrow night. Apologies to Diplomacy allies!

On topic, as I said in Budget week that Labour's vote was quite constant in the 37-40 range with YG, it's only fair to say it's not going up either. I think there's a quite stable underlying position - approaching 40% simply want to get the government out and there's only one obvious way to do that; they aren't influenced by budgets, leader ratings or anything else much. The Tory challenge is to exceed that. If they can get to 41 or so, it should be possible. But is that credible?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    FPT:
    Ninoinoz said:

And if it was supported by a substantial majority of the public, why no referendum? I think you know the answer.

Errrr... the answer being that, as a country, we have very few referendum?

Here is a list of some other things we don't have referendum on:

1. Whether murder should be illegal
    2. Whether Chelsea is the best football team
    etc etc etc
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Incidentally, what happens to these bets if the number of seats changes, such as no GE in Scotland following a Yes vote?

That would be about 90 gains, wouldn't it? Seat moves as big as that are quite rare.

4/1 on 326-350 though may be a better option.

DYOR

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,003
    Good evening, everyone.

Mr. Palmer, I'm watching that game to see how people who understand the rules do things. I was horrified to see someone in the Shoutbox compare you to Ed Miliband.

F1: no spoilers, but if you're the sort who sometimes watches F1 highlights and sometimes doesn't, today is a day you definitely should.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

DYOR

Aye, DYOR. Then do some more...

i) Polls this far out are pants as predictors.
    ii) Under FPTP, seats shift at least twice as fast as the votes do...

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    The importance of cracking down on crime from an early age: http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2014/04/05/mohammed_musa_nine_month_old_boy_accused_of_murder_in_pakistan.html

And can I recommend those PBers with a mathematical or programming bent check out: http://projecteuler.net/about
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    rcs1000 said:

And can I recommend those PBers with a mathematical or programming bent check out: http://projecteuler.net/about

If only I had 10 extra lifetimes, I would, honestly!
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,894
    Can still back a Lab Majority at 2.72 on Betfair and Lab most seats at 1.77
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    Hope people managed to take advantage of the ridiculously generous prices for 18:00-18:59 yesterday. Profitable day but I'd be gladder if Cambridge had won.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

Good evening, everyone.
    F1: no spoilers, but if you're the sort who sometimes watches F1 highlights and sometimes doesn't, today is a day you definitely should.

I only listened to it, but it was a great race. I'll definitely be staying up late to watch the highlights.

If you go onto YouTube, you can find a video of the most dangerous moment of the race. It's quite spectacular. I'd give Estaban a nine for style, and eight for execution. ;-)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047

Good evening, everyone.

Mr Dancer my 10 year old grandson has gone to watch the race, courtesy of his father. His first experience of F1.

• Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    RodCrosby said:

DYOR

You sticking to your May 1 crossover forecast Rod?
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, I actually watched the race (for unexpected reasons I was able to see it on Sky), so I've already seen it. My views on the empty-headed Maldonado are well-known.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited April 2014

Uncharacteristic silence from me for two days - I've been staying in a house which turned out to be without internet access. Just temporarily accessing at the moment - back to normal tomorrow night. Apologies to Diplomacy allies!

On topic, as I said in Budget week that Labour's vote was quite constant in the 37-40 range with YG, it's only fair to say it's not going up either. I think there's a quite stable underlying position - approaching 40% simply want to get the government out and there's only one obvious way to do that; they aren't influenced by budgets, leader ratings or anything else much. The Tory challenge is to exceed that. If they can get to 41 or so, it should be possible. But is that credible?

I still think it's wrong for Labour people to get complacent despite the poll situation improving a bit. You're right that there's a solid block of approaching 40% who hate the current government and won't be voting for either coalition party no matter what, but Labour's grip on those voters is extremely shaky, as shown by the extremely poor specific questions about Labour (not just Miliband's personal ratings -- there was a poll last week which showed a huge proportion of nominal Labour supporters agreed that the party was out of touch with "normal people" and that their plans were too timid and/or they hadn't set out what they stood for). And I think it's far too relaxed to assume that (a) all those voters will even bother turning out next year, and (b) that they won't drift off to another small party because they're so unenthused by Labour.

Also, as I've said a million times, despite the delusional media wittering on about how Labour has little appeal to so-called "Middle England", the real weakspot in their support is among working-class so-called "core" Labour voters (the type who voted for them even in 2010 which has led the leadership to complacently assume they'll vote for them no matter what) than among middle-class Lib Dem defectors.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

"by May" means by May 31st, round where I live...

;-)
  • Options
    King Cole, a cracking race for him to see.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,360
    Danny565 said:

I still think it's wrong for Labour people to get complacent despite the poll situation improving a bit. You're right that there's a solid block of approaching 40% who hate the current government and won't be voting for either coalition party no matter what, but Labour's grip on those voters is extremely shaky, as shown by the extremely poor specific questions about Labour (not just Miliband's personal ratings -- there was a poll last week which showed a huge proportion of nominal Labour supporters agreed that the party was out of touch with "normal people" and that their plans were too timid and/or they hadn't set out what they stood for). And I think it's far too relaxed to assume that (a) all those voters will even bother turning out next year, and (b) that they won't drift off to another small party because they're so unenthused by Labour.

Also, as I've said a million times, despite the delusional media wittering on about how Labour has little appeal to so-called "Middle England", the real weakspot in their support is among working-class so-called "core" Labour voters (the type who voted for them even in 2010 which has led the leadership to complacently assume they'll vote for them no matter what) than among middle-class Lib Dem defectors.
    I wouldn't disagree with most of that, except the "extremely shaky" bit - if it was that shaky it'd dip sharply now and then when we have a bad week. As for complacency - well, I'm the only candidate in my patch who has been actively canvassing for months, seven hours a week. This weekend is that first I've taken off since Christmas. To use the old phrase, it's a marathon, not a sprint. But, trying to be objective, I do think the market are right to see a Tory lead as very unlikely.
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, I actually watched the race (for unexpected reasons I was able to see it on Sky), so I've already seen it. My views on the empty-headed Maldonado are well-known.

Lucky you. ;-) I'm trying to get some work done now, to make up for the fact I'll stay up late to watch the GP and sleep in tomorrow morning. I do all my best work before nine o'clock, and get worse as the day goes on...

Maldonado should have the book thrown at him for that, *unless* it was a car brake issue.

Mercedes are magnificent in every way: the car is brilliant, the drivers both excellent, and the team need rewarding for letting their drivers race even to the end. Red Bull and Ferrari might have a few more supporters if they'd allowed Vettel and Schumacher's team mates do that more often.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    RodCrosby said:

BobaFett said:

;-)
    You could come a full time PB Hodge with that goalpost movement.I anticipate a '' I didn't say which May'' on the first of June.

• Options
    F1: post-race analysis (here there be spoilers, if you're waiting for the highlights, don't click the link):
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/bahrain-post-race-analysis.html
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, I still wish it was on the BBC. That organisation's short-sighted stupidity has robbed a great many people of the opportunity to watch a sport which is largely made in Britain.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    RodCrosby said:

BobaFett said:

;-)
    That's a bit like "ne'er cast a clout till May is out". Does it mean until the may blossom is out, or until 1 June?

• Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited April 2014
    Cllr Marie Rimmer has been selected today by St Helens South CLP as their new PPC.

She has been Labour group leader (and council leader when in power) on St Helens Council for decades until last year when she was ousted by an internal rival. It seemed it was the end of an era for St Helens Labour...but we spoke too soon!

It was an AWS and the other shortlisted candidates were a Manchester Cllr and a Southwark Cllr. She won on first round

She was kept out from 2001 shortlist by NEC (to help Woodward getting the nomination). Now she gets it 13 years later.

She was born in 1947, so the likely oldest member from 2020 new intake
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Cllr Marie Rimmer has been selected today by St Helens South CLP as their new PPC.

She was born in 1947, so the likely oldest member...

As I mentioned on the previous thread, she's the second oldest woman ever (by a short margin) to be embarking on a parliamentary career...
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    The Survation poll confirms the findings of the ComRes one: the Scottish Tories look to be in deep trouble.

Euro voting intention - Scotland

Survation
    Scottish sub-sample = 97 respondents
    (+/- change from Euro 2009)

SNP 48% (+19)
    Lab 31% (+10)
    UKIP 9% (+4)
    Con 6% (-11)
    LD 4% (-8)
    Grn 1% (-6)
    BNP 1% (-2)

ComRes
    Scottish sub-sample = 188 respondents

SNP 44% (+15)
    Lab 26% (+5)
    UKIP 8% (+3)
    Con 7% (-10)
    LD 6% (-6)
    BNP 5% (+2)
    Grn 4% (-3)
  • Options
    @RodCrosby

Joe Benton is having troubles with his reselection in Bootle.
  • Options
    Malcolm Chisholm MSP is retiring in Edinburgh North & Leith...because Labour today selected a new candidate: Cllr Lesley Hinds
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Sri Lanka comfortably winning the World t20:20 has the irony that only England beat them in the competition in one of the most thrilling of games.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    RodCrosby said:

DYOR

I thought your miracle predictor and Dr. Fisher's based your projections on polls which you now describe this far out as "pants".

Could that not be said about your projections ?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Re indyref, it should be remembered that NO and BT still have an ace to play.

If the polls narrow very seriously - or YES takes the lead - then I reckon the three Westminster parties will come up with some dramatic offer of Devomax.

Which is what Cameron should've done in the first place, the halfwit that he is.

Hard to see how the ferrets fighting in the BT sack could ever come up with a cogent plan.

Remember, they have already tried, and failed, to come up with a united plan for what a 'No' result would mean. Devomax is an impossibility.
  • Options

Malcolm Chisholm MSP is retiring in Edinburgh North & Leith...because Labour today selected a new candidate: Cllr Lesley Hinds

He was one of the few intelligent Labour MSPs.

Here are the current odds for the Westminster seat:

Lab 1/20
    LD 8/1
    SNP 50/1
    UKIP 100/1
    Con 100/1

Result 2011

Lab (Malcolm Chisholm) 12,858
    SNP 12,263
    Con 2,928
    LD 2,836
  • Options

@RodCrosby

Joe Benton is having troubles with his reselection in Bootle.

Think he's trying to go for the record of oldest MP in modern times...

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    But I thought our wise PB analysis said that the European debates wouldn't have any influence on the polls because no-one cares? It's almost like polling changes take a few days to come through, as people mull over their intentions...
  • Options

The Survation poll confirms the findings of the ComRes one: the Scottish Tories look to be in deep trouble.

Survation

SNP 48% (+19)
    Lab 31% (+10)
    UKIP 9% (+4)
    Con 6% (-11)
    LD 4% (-8)
    Grn 1% (-6)
    BNP 1% (-2)

ComRes

SNP 44% (+15)
    Lab 26% (+5)
    UKIP 8% (+3)
    Con 7% (-10)
    LD 6% (-6)
    BNP 5% (+2)
    Grn 4% (-3)

So what's that - 4 SNP MEPs, 2 LAB?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    JackW said:

Sri Lanka comfortably winning the World t20:20 has the irony that only England beat them in the competition in one of the most thrilling of games.

You forgot to point out that whilst England is looking for a coach amongst losers, the winning team had an Englishman as the coach.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    surbiton said:

I thought your miracle predictor and Dr. Fisher's based your projections on polls which you now describe this far out as "pants".

Could that not be said about your projections ?

The "raw" polls are pants.

That's why it is necessary to work statistical magic on them (Fisher), substitute a better polling indicator (Lebo & Norpoth), or ignore them completely (Swingback, and Chris Prosser's local elections model)...
  • Options
    The Survation Aberdeenshire sub sample of 1 has seen a dramatic move to "NO" as the YES camp suffered a dramatic 100% loss of support.

Interviewee Miss Fiona MacEck, 73 of Ardenboshan said :

"I've taken a wee fancy to that nice Mr Darling's eyebrows and my vote is his"

Order order .... The eye(brows) have it .. the eye(brows) have it.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,063

Oh dear how desperate
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Survation

SNP 48% (+19)
    Lab 31% (+10)
    UKIP 9% (+4)
    Con 6% (-11)
    LD 4% (-8)
    Grn 1% (-6)
    BNP 1% (-2)

ComRes

SNP 44% (+15)
    Lab 26% (+5)
    UKIP 8% (+3)
    Con 7% (-10)
    LD 6% (-6)
    BNP 5% (+2)
    Grn 4% (-3)

Where are the figures from the sub sample in the Yougov poll , guess the fact that you have not given them does not confirm the other findings Let me have a look
    Lab 36 SNP 29 Con 16 UKIP 10 LD 6

Nope !!!

• Options
    surbiton said:

JackW said:

You forgot to point out that whilst England is looking for a coach amongst losers, the winning team had an Englishman as the coach.
    Well quite.

• Options
    DavidL said:

Sorry Socrates but some things are barely worth discussing and the leadership qualities of a man who thought it was a good idea to have a bye election in one of the safest seats in the country to try and prove a point and then found himself out manouvred when the others simply refused to play is one of them.

Davies had been a pain ever since he lost to Cameron and this is just yet another example. Such indiscipline and inability to think ahead more than a few minutes at a time is why he would have been a disastrous leader.

Oh right. Because he should follow David Cameron's astute tactical manouvers? Like his decision to back Maria Miller to the hilt? Perhaps he should have Cameron's wise planning, like an immigration target that we need to hit our higher education sector to attempt, but still fails because the measure is so badly designed.

Or maybe Cameron's long term thinking? Such as saying we'd have a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty, and then not downplaying expectations about it until the thing actually passed, as could have been predicted for months? Or remedying the EU issue with a claim of repatriation that is clearly never going to work out? Or cutting the UK's military just as Russia is getting back on its feet as an imperialist power, with invasions to potential NATO candidates.

Davis' decision to run for a by-election over civil liberties probably was a mistake, but the man was clearly tearing his hair out how the supposed "liberal Conservative" he was serving under turned out to be a Blair-style authoritarian. Cameron mocked those that care about individual freedom while supporting the shadow areas of government being able to access the content of our private conversations without a warrant. When you have a PM that is so committed to government power over individual privacy, it's hard to know what you can honestly do.

Perhaps people would not need to be such a "pain" to the leadership, if Cameron wasn't making such disastrous issues on the EU, on civil liberties, on defence, etc.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited April 2014
    JackW said:

The Survation Aberdeenshire sub sample of 1 has seen a dramatic move to "NO" as the YES camp suffered a dramatic 100% loss of support.

I always knew that there was something peculiar about you JackW, but now you have completely flipped your lid.
    As a jacobean spoof it falls flat on it's back. Get up off your arse and sniff the winds of change.
  • Options

Survation

SNP 48% (+19)
    Lab 31% (+10)
    UKIP 9% (+4)
    Con 6% (-11)
    LD 4% (-8)
    Grn 1% (-6)
    BNP 1% (-2)

ComRes

SNP 44% (+15)
    Lab 26% (+5)
    UKIP 8% (+3)
    Con 7% (-10)
    LD 6% (-6)
    BNP 5% (+2)
    Grn 4% (-3)

Where are the figures from the sub sample in the Yougov poll , guess the fact that you have not given them does not confirm the other findings Let me have a look

Nope !!!
    No need for conspiracy theories Mark. Unlike you I am not an obsessive. I was unaware that there was a YouGov Euro poll out.

LD scores of 6, 4 and 6. Oh dear.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    O/T. I notice the Hungarians have managed to almost halve the number of MPs in parliament under their new electoral arrangements...

Just about the correct size now, according to Taagepera's Rule.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

O/T. I notice the Hungarians have managed to almost halve the number of MPs in parliament under their new electoral arrangements...

It's a handy method for the executive to reduce the independence of the legislature.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Oh dear how desperate
    Hinds would fit in well with the rest of the clowns on the Labour benches. But without Chisholm's personal charm and personal vote it is doubtful she will ever get there.

Chisholm looked like a giant because he was surrounded by dwarves.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Survation

SNP 48% (+19)
    Lab 31% (+10)
    UKIP 9% (+4)
    Con 6% (-11)
    LD 4% (-8)
    Grn 1% (-6)
    BNP 1% (-2)

ComRes

SNP 44% (+15)
    Lab 26% (+5)
    UKIP 8% (+3)
    Con 7% (-10)
    LD 6% (-6)
    BNP 5% (+2)
    Grn 4% (-3)

Nope !!!
    No need for conspiracy theories Mark. Unlike you I am not an obsessive. I was unaware that there was a YouGov Euro poll out.

If you expect us to believe that you are deluded .

• Options
    Socrates said:

RodCrosby said:

It's a handy method for the executive to reduce the independence of the legislature.
    Not if it's about the right size now.
  • Options

Survation

SNP 48% (+19)
    Lab 31% (+10)
    UKIP 9% (+4)
    Con 6% (-11)
    LD 4% (-8)
    Grn 1% (-6)
    BNP 1% (-2)

ComRes

SNP 44% (+15)
    Lab 26% (+5)
    UKIP 8% (+3)
    Con 7% (-10)
    LD 6% (-6)
    BNP 5% (+2)
    Grn 4% (-3)

Nope !!!

If you expect us to believe that you are deluded .

Is that the royal "us" Mark? The delusion is entirely yours.
  • Options

Survation

SNP 48% (+19)
    Lab 31% (+10)
    UKIP 9% (+4)
    Con 6% (-11)
    LD 4% (-8)
    Grn 1% (-6)
    BNP 1% (-2)

ComRes

SNP 44% (+15)
    Lab 26% (+5)
    UKIP 8% (+3)
    Con 7% (-10)
    LD 6% (-6)
    BNP 5% (+2)
    Grn 4% (-3)

So what's that - 4 SNP MEPs, 2 LAB?
    Yes, but that is profoundly unlikely.

My best guess a few months ago was:

Lab 3 MEPs (+1)
    SNP 2 MEPs (n/c)
    Con 1 MEP (n/c)
    LD 0 MEPS (-1)

However, I am now beginning to contemplate the possibility of Struan Stevenson MEP (Con) being in serious trouble. If you look at the artithmetic UKIP just might manage it.

The other uncertainty is whether LAB or SNP will take the LD seat. I was resigned to LAB getting it, but recent polling (by recent I mean last couple of months) has led me to consider reviewing that call.
  • Options
    Hungary

FPTP (53% of the seats)
    D'Hondt [closed list, 5% threshold; parallel, not compensatory] (47% of the seats)

There's also (ethnic) Minority Lists, where even if the list fails the threshold its top candidate can sit in Parliament to speak, but not vote.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Re indyref, it should be remembered that NO and BT still have an ace to play.

If the polls narrow very seriously - or YES takes the lead - then I reckon the three Westminster parties will come up with some dramatic offer of Devomax.

Which is what Cameron should've done in the first place, the halfwit that he is.

Darling is looking increasingly shaken. I'm surprised. I was truly concerned when Cameron first appointed him. Now it looks like a very poor choice, and it is far too late to find a new placeman.

The main problem is if you're going to run a negative campaign you really need someone who relishes it (John Reid springs to mind). Darling's USP was calm, sensible dignity; he's trashed that and he knows it, which adds to his evident discomfiture.

John Reid would have been in his element. There was a man who detested the campaign for self-government with every fibre of his body. Darling just looks like a fish out of water. He clearly hates his job.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    Socrates said:

DavidL said:

Sorry Socrates but some things are barely worth discussing and the leadership qualities of a man who thought it was a good idea to have a bye election in one of the safest seats in the country to try and prove a point and then found himself out manouvred when the others simply refused to play is one of them.

Davies had been a pain ever since he lost to Cameron and this is just yet another example. Such indiscipline and inability to think ahead more than a few minutes at a time is why he would have been a disastrous leader.

Oh right. Because he should follow David Cameron's astute tactical manouvers? Like his decision to back Maria Miller to the hilt? Perhaps he should have Cameron's wise planning, like an immigration target that we need to hit our higher education sector to attempt, but still fails because the measure is so badly designed.

Or maybe Cameron's long term thinking? Such as saying we'd have a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty, and then not downplaying expectations about it until the thing actually passed, as could have been predicted for months? Or remedying the EU issue with a claim of repatriation that is clearly never going to work out? Or cutting the UK's military just as Russia is getting back on its feet as an imperialist power, with invasions to potential NATO candidates.

Davis' decision to run for a by-election over civil liberties probably was a mistake, but the man was clearly tearing his hair out how the supposed "liberal Conservative" he was serving under turned out to be a Blair-style authoritarian. Cameron mocked those that care about individual freedom while supporting the shadow areas of government being able to access the content of our private conversations without a warrant. When you have a PM that is so committed to government power over individual privacy, it's hard to know what you can honestly do.

Perhaps people would not need to be such a "pain" to the leadership, if Cameron wasn't making such disastrous issues on the EU, on civil liberties, on defence, etc.
    My own view is that Cameron's leadership has been terminal for the Conservatives, and that 2015 will be their last hurrah.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,311
    The averages have been calculated wrongly in the thread header - average Lab lead for the week is 4.8, not 5.2.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    edited April 2014
    Sean_F said:

My own view is that Cameron's leadership has been terminal for the Conservatives, and that 2015 will be their last hurrah.

Why do you say terminal? IMO you would not be in power without him. And what do you mean by last hurrah? A weak win?

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

BobaFett said:

;-)
    I verified this at the time as I recall. It was May 1.
    But that's very interesting, that you are getting bearish.
  • Options
    Off-topic:

Rory Stewart's proggie on Northumberland on BBC2 atm is absolutely fascinating, and rather well shot: lots of bleak hillsides and walking through mist. Shame I missed the first one last week.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

You recall wrong.

;-)
  • Options
    MikeK said:

JackW said:

I always knew that there was something peculiar about you JackW, but now you have completely flipped your lid.
    As a jacobean spoof it falls flat on it's back. Get up off your arse and sniff the winds of change.
    I've been noted as many things but never "jacobean"

Do you infer :

Jacobean theatre - A drama queen ? .... Well possibly
    Jacobean architecture ? .... Sturdy, robust and classical ? ..... Quenby Hall, thank you
    Jacobean banquet ? .... Pass a suckling pig ....
    Jacobean literature ? .... Many have said it.

• Options
    Interesting programme on Sir Keith Joseph coming up tomorrow...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26877869
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

RodCrosby said:

BobaFett said:

;-)
    http://officiallyscrewed.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Moving-The-Goalposts.jpg
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    BobaFett said:

RodCrosby said:

BobaFett said:

;-)
    Did you really...
  • Options

Lab 3 MEPs (+1)
    SNP 2 MEPs (n/c)
    Con 1 MEP (n/c)
    LD 0 MEPS (-1)

However, I am now beginning to contemplate the possibility of Struan Stevenson MEP (Con) being in serious trouble. If you look at the artithmetic UKIP just might manage it.

Realistically, only if

i) INT(SNP/CON) + INT(LAB/CON) >=6, or

ii) The Tories drop to 4th place, and INT(SNP/CON) + INT(LAB/CON) >=5

Neither of which seems likely...
  • Options
    isam said:

BobaFett said:

RodCrosby said:

BobaFett said:

;-)
    Did you really...
    Yep. A reverse ferret by Mr Crosby this evening.

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

Lab 3 MEPs (+1)
    SNP 2 MEPs (n/c)
    Con 1 MEP (n/c)
    LD 0 MEPS (-1)

Realistically, only if

i) INT(SNP/CON) + INT(LAB/CON) >=6, or

ii) The Tories drop to 4th place, and INT(SNP/CON) + INT(LAB/CON) >=5

Neither of which seems likely...
    Agree it is unlikely, but I am mulling over the possibility.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Interesting question. I wonder how many Scots will view the Euros as a practice vote for the Indy Ref?
  • Options
    Sky News - Norwich sack their manager Chris Hughton
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

BobaFett said:

You recall wrong.

;-)
    No. I recall correctly. And I have quoted May 1 back at you on a number of occasions, which you left unchallenged.

But there's no shame in changing your mind.

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Michael Weiss @michaeldweiss

Tomorrow the Russian Foreign Ministry will issue a statement about "dangerous" developments and Kyiv's loss of control over eastern regions

Anne Applebaum @anneapplebaum

Some russian tanks on ukrainian border already painted with 'peacekeeping' slogans. How much longer until the 'humanitarian intervention'

Here we go again.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

RodCrosby said:

BobaFett said:

You recall wrong.

;-)
    No. I recall correctly. And I have quoted May 1 back at you on a number of occasions, which you left unchallenged.

Prove him wrong! Re post the verification!
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

RodCrosby said:

You recall wrong.

;-)

I must have been otherwise engaged [I'll show you her pic if you like!], and not noticed your witterings....

I definitely recall someone over a month ago saying "May 1st", and I instantly corrected them.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Interesting question. I wonder how many Scots will view the Euros as a practice vote for the Indy Ref?

It is certainly a trial run for the GOTV teams. Watch and learn.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    RodCrosby said:

BobaFett said:

RodCrosby said:

You recall wrong.

;-)

I must have been otherwise engaged [I'll show you her pic if you like!], and not noticed your witterings....

I definitely recall someone over a month ago saying "May 1st", and I instantly corrected them.
    You are just delaying the inevitable, which gives you longer to make a better excuse up. Or you could do an Avery and predict another date after a few weeks and hope no one notices.
  • Options
    isam said:

BobaFett said:

RodCrosby said:

BobaFett said:

You recall wrong.

;-)

Prove him wrong! Re post the verification!
    I would love to but it would require me to go through hundreds of posts. Life's too short.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

BobaFett said:

RodCrosby said:

You recall wrong.

;-)

Looks like a reverse ferret to me, but I'm not going to trawl through hundreds of posts to prove it.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

Why do you say terminal? IMO you would not be in power without him. And what do you mean by last hurrah? A weak win?

One of my political friends who is actually a politician thinks roughly the same. He reckons the Tory membership is now so old and endangered they won't have anyone to work for them by 2020. And he knows whereof he speaks (and he's neither Tory nor Labour).

I can see UKIP and the Tories forming an electoral pact for 2020 (and winning, esp if Scotland goes): by then the Tories won't have much choice.

Brexit by 2023? Could very easily happen.

The Tory membership is certainly old. Even the younger Tories lack vim. This Saturday UKIP and Labour were out. Can't remember the last time I saw a blue rosette working at it.

Was reflecting on Cameron's leadership. Whilst relatively charismatic, his leadership has turned out to be insipid and vanilla. After four years, I have absolutely no idea where he wants to take the country.

EdM, whilst still half-way to becoming a Marmite politician, seems at least to have some direction.

• Options
    @Isam FPT

What do you consider to qualify someone as a Londoner?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    edited April 2014
    Avery's Prediction Power

"Sir Roderick has it right that May is crossover month but we may get Basil with a long-sight sniper shot before May."

Source: http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2014/03/22/tories-jump-4-ukip-and-lds-each-drop-3-in-post-budget-survation-poll-for-mail-on-sunday/

RodCrosby's Manly Intuition

"No, that's just my hunch. And to be clear, I'm predicting a Tory lead in some poll by May. Then it'll be nip-and-tuck until about January 2015. Then the Tories will pull away decisively..."

Source: http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2014/02/24/based-on-current-polls-the-betting-markets-are-understating-labours-chances-of-an-overall-majority/

Watch out for post hoc edits
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Tomorrow the Russian Foreign Ministry will issue a statement about "dangerous" developments and Kyiv's loss of control over eastern regions

Some russian tanks on ukrainian border already painted with 'peacekeeping' slogans. How much longer until the 'humanitarian intervention'

Here we go again.

You can hardly blame Putin. The entire western response to his Crimean Anschluss was to flick two tiny ink pellets in his general direction, then hide under the desk.

He must think he is on a roll. I'm not sure we would respond militarily if he seized all Ukraine.

Also, the news is really boring, so I hope he does have a bash, at least at Donetsk.
    The stock markets hated the Crimean crisis. I wonder if an Eastern Ukraine crisis might cause more serious and longer term problems?
  • Options
    Alez' Alez Alez oh! :-)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Here we go again.

You can hardly blame Putin. The entire western response to his Crimean Anschluss was to flick two tiny ink pellets in his general direction, then hide under the desk.

He must think he is on a roll. I'm not sure we would respond militarily if he seized all Ukraine.

Also, the news is really boring, so I hope he does have a bash, at least at Donetsk.
    I wonder how much more humiliation,western Ukrainians can take if Russian army crossed eastern border.

Ukraine crisis: Pro-Russian movement creeps closer to Kiev

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ukraine-crisis-pro-russian-movement-creeps-closer-to-kiev/
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Avery's Prediction Power

"Sir Roderick has it right that May is crossover month but we may get Basil with a long-sight sniper shot before May."

Source: http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2014/03/22/tories-jump-4-ukip-and-lds-each-drop-3-in-post-budget-survation-poll-for-mail-on-sunday/

"No, that's just my hunch. And to be clear, I'm predicting a Tory lead in some poll by May. Then it'll be nip-and-tuck until about January 2015. Then the Tories will pull away decisively..."

Source: http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2014/02/24/based-on-current-polls-the-betting-markets-are-understating-labours-chances-of-an-overall-majority/

Avery last predicted crossover for December 2013.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Avery's Prediction Power

This place will be like a polling prediction battlefield come May. There will be PB predictive reputation corpses a.o.t.s.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

One of my political friends who is actually a politician thinks roughly the same. He reckons the Tory membership is now so old and endangered they won't have anyone to work for them by 2020. And he knows whereof he speaks (and he's neither Tory nor Labour).

I can see UKIP and the Tories forming an electoral pact for 2020 (and winning, esp if Scotland goes): by then the Tories won't have much choice.

Brexit by 2023? Could very easily happen.

The Tory membership is certainly old. Even the younger Tories lack vim. This Saturday UKIP and Labour were out. Can't remember the last time I saw a blue rosette working at it.

Was reflecting on Cameron's leadership. Whilst relatively charismatic, his leadership has turned out to be insipid and vanilla. After four years, I have absolutely no idea where he wants to take the country.

EdM, whilst still half-way to becoming a Marmite politician, seems at least to have some direction.

I wouldn't want to be a tory in some area's,even in area's where tories hold the seat,like Norwich north.

I have a friend there who witnessed a conservative knocking on doors and been chased out of the area with the cuts on family credits he found out why later.

• Options
    BobaFett said:

@Isam FPT

Someone born in or who went to school in London
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    BobaFett said:

Freggles said:

Avery's Prediction Power

That one in December fell just like the ones he made for April, June, August, and October. Avery predictions are the junk stock of PB.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Here we go again.

I wonder how much more humiliation,western Ukrainians can take if Russian army crossed eastern border.

Ukraine crisis: Pro-Russian movement creeps closer to Kiev

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ukraine-crisis-pro-russian-movement-creeps-closer-to-kiev/
    Drip. Drip. Drip.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    BobaFett said:

Are you implying that a Conservative who frequents this site has a tendency to be incorrect, and fail to gain knowledge from the experience?
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Evening all. The 2nd episode of Rory the Tory's Middle Land documentary series on the Scots/English borders was excellent.

The Scots Tories will be 3rd in the Euro elections and Struan Stevenson is retiring so we will have a new young MEP.

I think it more likely the SNP rather than Labour will get the 3rd MEP replacing the LibDems as George Lyon returns to talk to his barley fields and sheep.

Jack W is not Jacobean. My house is Jacobean i.e. dating from the reign of James VI and I. Jack has Jacobite sympathies (1688-1746).

It was announced at the Tory Spring Conference that the party membership has risen. I seem to recall the number quoted for new total membership was either 170,000 or 180,000.

Now off to watch 'The Crimson Field' the new BBC1 drama series partly based on the real life exploits of Millicent, Duchess of Sutherland and her nurses who nursed on the front line and at one point found themselves behind German lines. Millie summoned the German Field Marshal and insisted her repatriate her wounded, her nurses and the German wounded too. Before the war she had known him well. She was quite a woman.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

BobaFett said:

Are you implying that a Conservative who frequents this site has a tendency to be incorrect, and fail to gain knowledge from the experience?
    As hard as that may be to believe, that is what I am saying. It's a dangerously controversial view, but I stand by it.
  • Options
    isam said:

BobaFett said:

@Isam FPT

Seems a very, very narrow definition. Do you include the Essex suburbs or just postal London?
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    FPT
    Charles said:

Ninoinoz said:

Incidentally, on writing my reply to JackW, I was reminded of why Maria Miller is such a despicable character.

When the Jimmy Savile scandal exploded into the open, the Conservative Party conference was imminent.

So, what does the DCMS minister (Maria Miller) decide to address the conference about? Gay marriage.

So, gay marriage tops endemic child abuse in the nation's lead broadcaster? Only in Cameron's warped cabinet.

So you would have preferred her to try and make political capital out of some despicable actions by a dead man?
    I would have preferred her to start cleansing the BBC of its child abuse culture and start the restitution to its victims.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    Freggles said:

BobaFett said:

Richard Nabavi is a Conservative well worth listening to here, particularly if you are interested in making cash.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

isam said:

BobaFett said:

@Isam FPT

Seems a very, very narrow definition. Do you include the Essex suburbs or just postal London?
    Not really very narrow. If you were born in Manchester and come to London at 18 you're not a Londoner

Essex suburbs would be a stretch maybe, but wouldn't be outrageous to say they were a Londone if they lived nr a tube station I guess
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    The Screaming Eagles also.
This discussion has been closed.