Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It’s two years to the day before GE2015 and the latest Mart

SystemSystem Posts: 11,004
edited May 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It’s two years to the day before GE2015 and the latest Martin Baxter computation puts the probability of a CON majority at just 1 percent

It’s May 7th which means that it is exactly two years before the before the date laid down in the legislation introduced in October 2010 as the day of the next general election. There are provisions for this to be earlier but as long as the polling suggests that both coalition partners would get a drubbing it’s hard to envisage the circumstances in which this might happen.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    StickytrollStickytroll Posts: 30
    Preposterous!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,958
    I think the headline is a tad misleading, it suggests that if an election were held now, the chance of a majority would be 1% based on the current polling.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    @RobD Fair point. I've slightly amended it.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,958

@RobD Fair point. I've slightly amended it.

Not to worry, the real chance probably isn't that much higher ;)

• Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    What on Earth is the point of having a thread which is based on such a monstrously absurd and deranged piece of utter nonsense? Any two-minute-old brain-dead lizard would be able to tell you that the next general election is wide open and that the probabilities quoted are ultrabalderdash and megapiffle.
  • Options
    Among the early constituency betting odds, Brighton Pavilion is one which appears to offer an opportunity if one believes Martin Baxter's data.

He gives Labour a 73.6% chance of regaining this seat from the Greens at the next GE, whereas those nice people at Paddy Power are currently offering odds of 6/5 against Labour, implying that they have only a 45.5% chance of winning. PP make the Greens an 8/13 odds-on favourite, rating them as having a 61.9% chance of winning.

A very considerable difference of opinion therefore between these two.

• Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516
    This is a betting site and people don't understand odds and percentages?

As it stands at the moment, the chances of Labour winning a majority is 81% with the Conservatives on 1%. What the majority would be, if any, is disputable.

In 2 years time things may be different. Cameron could have won a war in the Falklands.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,570
    tim said:

Bit shocked by these allegations that Jimmy Tarbuck is a comedian.

On Topic
    Looks like the figures are based on a UKIP score around 14% - unlikely

As Bob Monkhouse said - "They said I'd never be a comedian - they're not laughing now!"
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    Presumably this is somewhat similar to the Nate Silver type analysis which proved so accurate in the US.

I am frankly amazed that there is a 1% chance of the tories winning an election while about 8-9% behind in the polls. I would say that is completely impossible. Labour could win a majority whilst being behind in the popular vote (although not that much behind) but not the tories.

So the tories need to improve their polling to win. The things you learn on PB!

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,916
    I'm a little puzzled at the three non-overall-majority options. The two coalitions I can understand, but does NOC mean one party's in government with "confidence and supply" support from another?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    What I wonder is how you even get a 1% chance of a Con majority on those vote shares.
  • Options
    Not one of the usual suspects:

Lord Lawson calls for UK to exit EU

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22429790
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    @Carlotta

"As Bob Monkhouse said - "They said I'd never be a comedian - they're not laughing now!"

"When I said I was going to be a comedian people laughed. They're not laughing now"
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Presumably this is somewhat similar to the Nate Silver type analysis which proved so accurate in the US.

I guess this is the equivalent of his "nowcast", which always showed a higher score for Obama than the forecast, until election day when the nowcast became the forecast. Or it may even be a stage before that, where you haven't yet factored in the probability of a polling failure. (By election day the 15% or so Silver was showing for Romney must have been almost entirely polling failure, as the polls at that point were pretty clear.)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Down here in Cornwall the surge in support for UKIP is palpable. Non political people bring them up in conversation, unprompted.

If there was a GE now I could see the kippers getting 20-25%, which renders all models useless. Including this one.

The models should be able to deal with that. Basically you throw out all the kipper votes, assume the small parties get about the same as last time and just look at the shares of the two main parties. It won't be far off.
  • Options
    Nigel Lawson's intervention is interesting and suggests that the weight of the City is starting to swing against EU membership. That would be a very material change indeed and completely change the odds on an "out" vote.

Part of this may be a drive to improve Cameron's hand in negotiations and also a strong determination to make it clear that we mean it when we say that interventions such as the FTT and proposed EU regulations are unacceptable. The government has already gone to the ECJ about this in exactly the way Osborne said we would if the euro block overreached themselves. That in itself is likely to put the matter beyond 2015 although not beyond 2017.

There is no question that our membership of the EU is a lot more finely balanced than it used to be. It really is not a simple question of whether we are in or out anymore but what sort of institution are we voting to stay "in". The way the EU has developed over the last 20 years is not to our advantage or tastes. I think it either reaches some accommodations on this or we go.

Ironically, it is the future of the euro that is the best chance of getting an EU we might like. If it were to break up the EU that emerged would be far more attractive. The latest German reservations about this are interesting in that context.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    SeanT said:

Down here in Cornwall the surge in support for UKIP is palpable. Non political people bring them up in conversation, unprompted.

If there was a GE now I could see the kippers getting 20-25%, which renders all models useless. Including this one.

SeanT said:

Whereabouts are you in Cornwall Sean?

My daughter was married last Thursday in St Ives,it was glorious, my wife's family have a long association with Cornwall.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    SeanT said:

UKIP will get a boost after the Euros, but their popularity is very volatile, they barely registered just two years ago. Increasingly voters vote differently in different elections, so not easy to forecast what will happen in a GE.

If we have no changes in the leadership of any party we will have a choice between several lackluster parties, and a UKIP manifesto that will fall under much more scrutiny.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I guess this is the equivalent of his "nowcast", which always showed a higher score for Obama than the forecast, until election day when the nowcast became the forecast. Or it may even be a stage before that, where you haven't yet factored in the probability of a polling failure. (By election day the 15% or so Silver was showing for Romney must have been almost entirely polling failure, as the polls at that point were pretty clear.)
    That is the way I saw it. What I find bizarre is the way that a poll of several million in the locals is so blithely and quickly ignored and we go back to presuming that Labour has these kind of leads. If the Labour lead was 4% and UKIP was over 20% I think the chances of a tory win, although small, would be more than 1% if only because the model would be completely unpredictable at that stage given the lack of precedents.

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,038
    SeanT

You mentioned your lunching lefty friends were clueless about economics.

Do you have details ? I like to start the day off with some amusemement.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Off topic, but potentially remunerative.

My financially savvy, day trading brother, who lives in Canada, just sent me a link to a house for sale in Valencia province, Spain.

It's got four bedrooms and a swimming pool. And it's about £150k. It's pretty hideous, but still.

At some point even the Spanish property market will turn, as prices get so low bottom-feeders move in. We could be nearing that crucial turning-point.

Calling the bottom on these things is notoriously difficult but Spain's own forecasts are that house prices will continue to fall for the next 18 months. I fear it may be even worse because there is a completely enormous overhang of property that should have been repossessed but the law has stopped them from doing so.

I would stay well clear for some time to come. If Spain were to leave the euro on the other hand...
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

UKIP will get a boost after the Euros, but their popularity is very volatile, they barely registered just two years ago. Increasingly voters vote differently in different elections, so not easy to forecast what will happen in a GE.

If we have no changes in the leadership of any party we will have a choice between several lackluster parties, and a UKIP manifesto that will fall under much more scrutiny.

I don't think UKIP vote is an anti EU vote at the moment that would require a far more through thought process than many voters actually have.

The current UKIP vote is a vote for change. They have seem the impact of austerity, have seen how it is hurting them and then looked at Labour only see more of near enough the same (in a possibly less presentable package).

The idea that people are voting UKIP for an EU referendum is not accurate. If you look at the UKIP vote as the equivalent of a none of the above vote that will explain what the problem is.

How the parties go around and fix it I don't know but if all they offer is a referendum and a few other similar items its not going to help them get the missing votes back.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Off topic, but potentially remunerative.

At some point even the Spanish property market will turn, as prices get so low bottom-feeders move in. We could be nearing that crucial turning-point.

"Never try to catch a falling knife"
  • Options
    Anyone seen the full page letter / Advert from Martin in the Times.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

That is the way I saw it. What I find bizarre is the way that a poll of several million in the locals is so blithely and quickly ignored and we go back to presuming that Labour has these kind of leads. If the Labour lead was 4% and UKIP was over 20% I think the chances of a tory win, although small, would be more than 1% if only because the model would be completely unpredictable at that stage given the lack of precedents.

Strictly speaking Electoral Calculus should be calling it a "projection" rather than a "prediction". I think common sense would say the lead will be smaller in 2015. Governments tend to recover, the local election results didn't exactly scream "Ed-mania sweeps the nation", and Rod's swingback thing looks more like a tie for the popular vote, and a majority of not much or negative not much.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    eek said:

I don't think UKIP vote is an anti EU vote at the moment that would require a far more through thought process than many voters actually have.

The current UKIP vote is a vote for change. They have seem the impact of austerity, have seen how it is hurting them and then looked at Labour only see more of near enough the same (in a possibly less presentable package).

The idea that people are voting UKIP for an EU referendum is not accurate. If you look at the UKIP vote as the equivalent of a none of the above vote that will explain what the problem is.

How the parties go around and fix it I don't know but if all they offer is a referendum and a few other similar items its not going to help them get the missing votes back.
    Well maybe, but as was pointed out downthread, voters are getting slightly more sophisticated and voting different parties in different elections. I suspect the general dissatisfaction with the EU is more likley to drive voters who vote to send two fingers to Brussels; whereas those who don't care are more likely to stay at home. It ends up being more of a thoughts of the nation vote than a party one.
  • Options
    eek said:

Quite. "EU referendum" is a symptom of their malaise - but not remotely a cure. The idea that after a referendum they would suddenly become happy with the status quo is delusional. Does anyone remotely think that the Scottish Nationalists will say "oh, ok then" if they lose next year's referendum? We will have years of "it wisnae fair" and "we was dun!" Ditto UKIP supporters.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

sent me a link to a house for sale in Valencia province, Spain.

It's got four bedrooms and a swimming pool. And it's about £150k. It's pretty hideous, but still.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-2317127/Expats-head-home-Spain-forced-declare-overseas-assets.html may give you a clue as to why prices are dropping. some people are panicking after Cyprus and may want out at virtually any price.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    eek said:

There is an element of none of the above, it would be foolish to deny that, but there is also a huge 'what has the EU done for us' vote as well, which will only be further enhanced by statements like those of Lord Lawson.

People are sick to death of the EU and no other party is seriously interested in opposing it.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Good morning, everyone.

I've got to agree with those who say these percentages are a little silly. 1% for a blue majority? I think it's unlikely, but not Jenson Button winning the world title unlikely.

In the last plugging news, Journey to Altmortis is now up on Amazon for the criminally generous £1.98 ($2.99): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Journey-to-Altmortis-ebook/dp/B00COAEOS8/

Of course, if you're poorer than a church mouse who has just had an enormous tax bill on the day his wife ran off with another mouse, taking all the cheese, you can use the code XK87G and buy it on Smashwords for just $1.02: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/313503

F1: I'm going to put up the early discussion thread later today.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Well maybe, but as was pointed out downthread, voters are getting slightly more sophisticated and voting different parties in different elections. I suspect the general dissatisfaction with the EU is more likley to drive voters who vote to send two fingers to Brussels; whereas those who don't care are more likely to stay at home. It ends up being more of a thoughts of the nation vote than a party one.

I don't think voting for the best party locally and a different party nationally is relevant here. Most people thought (and possibly even hoped) that their UKIP vote wasn't going to get them elected but they still went out and voted for them to express their discontent at the other options.

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    A Labour government to ruin us yet more.

What a depressing thought to wake up to.
  • Options
    eek said:

I don't think voting for the best party locally and a different party nationally is relevant here. Most people thought (and possibly even hoped) that their UKIP vote wasn't going to get them elected but they still went out and voted for them to express their discontent at the other options.

if you're saying people want to protest vote without consequence, then there is no better place to do it than the Euros. And it's PR so none of the voting for my enemy's enemy calculations either.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Morning! And what a lovely one it is too.

There's a pretty polemic article in the DT from Brendan O'Neill re the Lefts attitude to disability and how its changed since WW2.

"If we are to believe Left-wing observers, the worst thing the government can say to a disabled person is: “You are fit for work.” Over the past two years of government trimming of welfare benefits, nothing has infuriated the pro-welfare, Tory-hating lobby more than cuts to disability and incapacity benefits, and the accompanying idea that it's better for disabled people to work for a living rather than live on state charity. Which is weird because, in the postwar period at least, the Left was at the forefront of arguing that disabled people should work rather than being viewed as “incapable” simply because of a physical or mental impairment. The Left’s recent reversion to an older, Dickensian view of disabled people as vulnerable and weak is a shocking about-face.

The language used by Leftists to describe disabled people is increasingly demeaning, like something out of one of those sensationalist Victorian “newspapers” that salaciously pored over the depravity of poor people’s lives. Concerned commentators tell us disabled people will be propelled into “destitution” by the government’s overhaul of disability benefits. They claim disabled people will commit suicide in droves if their benefits are changed or removed. They refer to disabled people as “the vulnerable”, as “this country’s most vulnerable people”..." http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/brendanoneill2/100215053/left-wing-activists-treatment-of-disabled-people-as-objects-of-pity-is-far-more-disgusting-than-anything-the-government-has-done/
  • Options
    SeanT said:

eek said:

SeanT said:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-2317127/Expats-head-home-Spain-forced-declare-overseas-assets.html may give you a clue as to why prices are dropping. some people are panicking after Cyprus and may want out at virtually any price.
    Well, yes. Prices are crashing. But that's my point - or my brothers point. The house he mentioned in Valencia had just been knocked down a further 15%.

At this rate of decline Spain - for all its faults still an attractive, First World place to live, with great food, great climate etc - will become tempting to overseas buyers. That moment could arrive sooner than we expect.
    It could but it also could soon be the moment when nasty vampiric foreigners who buy up cheap property from bankrupt Spaniards become rather unpopular.

And wasn't much of the recent Spanish property built without proper planning permission / not paying proper taxes / bribing local officials ?

Might be an excuse to levy some hefty fines if that property is now owned by nasty, vampiric foreigners ;-)
  • Options
    Plato said:

There's a pretty polemic article in the DT from Brendan O'Neill re the Lefts attitude to disability and how its changed since WW2.

"If we are to believe Left-wing observers, the worst thing the government can say to a disabled person is: “You are fit for work.” Over the past two years of government trimming of welfare benefits, nothing has infuriated the pro-welfare, Tory-hating lobby more than cuts to disability and incapacity benefits, and the accompanying idea that it's better for disabled people to work for a living rather than live on state charity. Which is weird because, in the postwar period at least, the Left was at the forefront of arguing that disabled people should work rather than being viewed as “incapable” simply because of a physical or mental impairment. The Left’s recent reversion to an older, Dickensian view of disabled people as vulnerable and weak is a shocking about-face.

The language used by Leftists to describe disabled people is increasingly demeaning, like something out of one of those sensationalist Victorian “newspapers” that salaciously pored over the depravity of poor people’s lives. Concerned commentators tell us disabled people will be propelled into “destitution” by the government’s overhaul of disability benefits. They claim disabled people will commit suicide in droves if their benefits are changed or removed. They refer to disabled people as “the vulnerable”, as “this country’s most vulnerable people”..." http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/brendanoneill2/100215053/left-wing-activists-treatment-of-disabled-people-as-objects-of-pity-is-far-more-disgusting-than-anything-the-government-has-done/

Oh well The Left never run out of people to proclaim victims whether they like it or not.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, it's interesting to note that numerous generals of the ancient world would be classed as disabled now. Antigonus Monopthalmus, of course, only had one eye, as did Hannibal after he lost one to exposure during the march through the Arnus Marshes. Caesar and Alexander were both epileptic (Caesar *may* have had Crohn's as well).

Tamerlane's not ancient, but being lame in one leg and one arm is still pretty difficult for a warlord.

The great problem is that for some disabled people working is impossible or very difficult indeed, whereas for others it's the very best thing they could do.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BBCNormanS: Nick Clegg says Lord Lawson "completely wrong" over call to leave EU - "wd jeapordise up to 3 million jobs"

@BBCNormanS: Nick Clegg opposes EU referendum @bbcr4today cos not "address concerns most people want us to address" ie economy/squeeze

@DanHannanMEP: 'I think what people want is...' says Cliché Cleggie. Actually, 82% of voters want the In/Out referendum which he used to promise.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@BBCNormanS: Nick Clegg says Lord Lawson "completely wrong" over call to leave EU - "wd jeapordise up to 3 million jobs"

@BBCNormanS: Nick Clegg opposes EU referendum @bbcr4today cos not "address concerns most people want us to address" ie economy/squeeze

@DanHannanMEP: 'I think what people want is...' says Cliché Cleggie. Actually, 82% of voters want the In/Out referendum which he used to promise.

Clegg is going to get called out on this 3 million jobs nonsense. Where are the 3 million jobs at risk ?
  • Options
    Clegg has a point, Mr. P. If there's one thing the EU's about it's a prosperous economy and rising employment.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    SeanT said:

eek said:

SeanT said:

Well, yes. Prices are crashing. But that's my point - or my brothers point. The house he mentioned in Valencia had just been knocked down a further 15%.

At this rate of decline Spain - for all its faults still an attractive, First World place to live, with great food, great climate etc - will become tempting to overseas buyers. That moment could arrive sooner than we expect.
    I think you are projecting what would happen in a country that could adjust properly. The reality is that the Spanish currency can not devalue, inflation is being kept low across the Eurozone, and thus it will take a decade for prices to adjust to become competitive with Germany. That means long term unemployment and a depressed economy.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

if you're saying people want to protest vote without consequence, then there is no better place to do it than the Euros. And it's PR so none of the voting for my enemy's enemy calculations either.

Well they used to do it in the Euros but the parties still didn't listen. Now the same voters seem to be doing it more and more often because the other parties are doing things that actually hurt them in the pocket.

• Options

Miss Plato, it's interesting to note that numerous generals of the ancient world would be classed as disabled now. Antigonus Monopthalmus, of course, only had one eye, as did Hannibal after he lost one to exposure during the march through the Arnus Marshes. Caesar and Alexander were both epileptic (Caesar *may* have had Crohn's as well).

Tamerlane's not ancient, but being lame in one leg and one arm is still pretty difficult for a warlord.

The great problem is that for some disabled people working is impossible or very difficult indeed, whereas for others it's the very best thing they could do.

Indeed Mr Dancer, would Nelson have been better advised to sit at home instead of procreating with Lady H and shooting up french fleets ?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,284
    One, Two, Three - Big Hug.

Ed, you're supposed to smile.

https://www.facebook.com/CountyDurhamLabourParty

Thanks to Andrea_Parma who spotted it first.
  • Options
    F1: Lewis Hamilton achieves a state of Zen mastery (:p).

Nothing controls him now:
    http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/story/107179.html

Being serious, it really does seem like he's in a very good psychological state, and Mercedes is a different kettle of fish to McLaren.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Scott_P said:

@BBCNormanS: Nick Clegg opposes EU referendum @bbcr4today cos not "address concerns

most people want us to address" ie economy/squeeze

Poor Clegg , his seemingly inevitable job on the EU Commission gravy train would cease to exist.

• Options
    This Lord Lawson thing is huge. He has now put out a clear economic case for the sizable benefits of leaving the EU, and this is coming from a former Chancellor. The Very Serious People who live in London and previously dismissed leaving as just a xenophobic impulse will now be prepared for a genuine open minded conversation about this stuff. It could really be game changing. I don't have access to the Times, but it sounds like he made all the solid arguments that were needed.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

eek said:

SeanT said:

It could but it also could soon be the moment when nasty vampiric foreigners who buy up cheap property from bankrupt Spaniards become rather unpopular.

And wasn't much of the recent Spanish property built without proper planning permission / not paying proper taxes / bribing local officials ?

Might be an excuse to levy some hefty fines if that property is now owned by nasty, vampiric foreigners ;-)
    My guess is the average homeowning Spaniard would be just delighted if loads of rich Asians started buying Spanish property, thereby rescuing house prices and boosting a moribund economy.
    Will Spain follow Cyprus offer of EU citizenship too? While recent Spanish unemployment figures have edged downward to the merely atrocious, they are still terrible:

Spain Is Beyond Doomed: The 2 Scariest Unemployment Charts Ever
    This is what a permanent underclass looks like.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/04/spain-is-beyond-doomed-the-2-scariest-unemployment-charts-ever/275324/
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If we left the EU would Clegg lose his EU pension?

Edited extra bit: to clarify, I mean that I think it can be withheld if an ex-EU employee doesn't basically do everything they possibly can to promote the EU. If we, say, had a referendum in this Parliament would that be an issue for Clegg (in pension terms)?
  • Options
    Socrates said:

This Lord Lawson thing is huge. He has now put out a clear economic case for the sizable benefits of leaving the EU, and this is coming from a former Chancellor. The Very Serious People who live in London and previously dismissed leaving as just a xenophobic impulse will now be prepared for a genuine open minded conversation about this stuff. It could really be game changing. I don't have access to the Times, but it sounds like he made all the solid arguments that were needed.

"The Very Serious People who live in London and previously dismissed leaving as just a xenophobic impulse will now be prepared for a genuine open minded conversation about this stuff."

if they need "permission" to think then they're a bunch of dimwits who can't work things out for themselves.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    eek said:

Just as there are a small number of SNP voters who do not want independence, there must be some kippers who do not want to leave the EU. Polling for a referendum is different, I am pro EU but would be happy to have a vote on it to settle the issue for a bit.

Some up to date polling on several items in the UKIP manifesto would be interesting, and perhaps illuminate the discussion on whether their vote will hold up in a GE.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    edited May 2013
    Plato said:

Morning! And what a lovely one it is too. /

Good Morning Plato: A lovely morning here as well - went mad and came in to work without a coat!! No doubt the gods will be delighted to prove me wrong this evening and wreak their vengeance in the form of storms, wind, thunder and lightning.

Re disability: since WW2 so many manual jobs that required full physical ability have disappeared and a lot have been replaced by seated, electronic employment - so the same "qualifications" for disability are no longer relevant. Our IT guru has ME, is a registered disabled, but does about three half days a week with us.

Of course there is an increase in people who say they are suffering from stress, but it can be nowhere near the same order of stress suffered by WW2 civilians who did not know from one day to the next whether they would be bombed out of their home or how many of their family would be left alive the next day - yet they worked more than a 40 hour week.

• Options
    SeanT said:

Socrates said:

SeanT said:

eek said:

SeanT said:

I think you are projecting what would happen in a country that could adjust properly. The reality is that the Spanish currency can not devalue, inflation is being kept low across the Eurozone, and thus it will take a decade for prices to adjust to become competitive with Germany. That means long term unemployment and a depressed economy.
    Two bedroom apartment for sale in sunny Andalusia.

€26,000

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/property-40122383.html
    Sure. But Andalusia has an unemployment rate of more than 35% and growing. That means the domestic demand will continue to fall. There aren't enough wealthy Europeans with twenty five grand to spare to make up for the number of Andalusians that are falling out the middle class. That means prices will continue to head downwards.

Plus think of what long-term 35% unemployment does to a place. That's what it was in the old mining towns in the North of England after Thatcherism. Except it's not just individual towns here, it's the whole damn region, with the rest of the country at 26% and growing.
  • Options
    HM QEII not going to CHOGM in Colombo - Prince of Wales going instead - recognition of her age - which some will present as issue over Sri Lanka human rights.
  • Options
    On the doorstep, wearing a UKIP rosette, I found no interest in the EU. Among supporters, and 'waverers', the commonest single view expressed was that only one party leader was showing any 'leadership'. It was never made clear what that meant, but if that's what the semi-detached voter feels, it cannot be ignored. Dave or Ed might suddenly become charismatic leaders over the next 24 months, but that doesn't seem to be likely, does it?
    Our voters will not be bothered that some expert is able to show that UKIP's numbers don't add up.
    There were other reasons for voting UKIP, but none is easy for one of the established party leaders to counter.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BBCNormanS: EU President spokesman Richard Corbett warns of "huge negative consequences" for UK if it leaves the EU @bbcr4today
  • Options

Socrates said:

"The Very Serious People who live in London and previously dismissed leaving as just a xenophobic impulse will now be prepared for a genuine open minded conversation about this stuff."

if they need "permission" to think then they're a bunch of dimwits who can't work things out for themselves.
    It's human nature, unfortunately. When an opinion is seen as culturally alien, most people will instantly reject it until it is expressed by someone whose culture you understand. It's like acceptance of homosexuality in working class circles. It was seen as an effete metropolitan thing, until working class people started coming out in large numbers, and then tolerance boomed.
  • Options
    Ch4 Fact Check on Clegg's repeated "3 million jobs" claim:

"A cloud of uncertainty hangs over the whole question of whether Britain loses or gains economically by its continued membership of the EU.

Some of the world’s top economists disagree about the numbers, and it’s impossible to say what the ultimate political costs of pulling out could be.

On paper, Britain ought still to be able to trade freely with Europe, but would there be a backlash from Brussels designed to damage Britain’s interests if we turned our back on the single market?

What is fairly clear though, is that while Clegg’s right about the number of jobs dependent on trade with Europe, he should be very wary about suggesting that those jobs are automatically at risk if Britain’s relationship with the EU changes.

According to the people who did the research, talk of mass redundancies if Mr Cameron goes for a European exit strategy is just scaremongering."

http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-what-happens-to-the-economy-if-we-pull-out-of-the-eu/8376
  • Options
    Who do you think you are kidding, Mr. Corbett?
  • Options
    Nick Clegg's estimates about job losses are all based on us not having an FTA with the EU or anyone else after we leave. It's a ridiculous statistic and eurosceptics need to get into the habit of challenging it every time it's used.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Scott_P said:

@BBCNormanS: EU President spokesman Richard Corbett warns of "huge negative consequences" for UK if it leaves the EU @bbcr4today

" Huge negative consequences " for Mr Corbett and his ilk , you bet.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    edited May 2013

Oh well The Left never run out of people to proclaim victims whether they like it or not.

Lest we forget it was Maggie who chucked millions on the sick to massage the unemployment figures.

We on the Left welcome the Right's epiphany.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,799
    SeanT said:

Actually, the "UKIP are strong in the South-West" meme wasn't borne out in the council election results. 4 councillors in Devon, 6 in Cornwall, 3 in Somerset, 1 in Dorset.

• Options

Ch4 Fact Check on Clegg's repeated "3 million jobs" claim:

"A cloud of uncertainty hangs over the whole question of whether Britain loses or gains economically by its continued membership of the EU.

Some of the world’s top economists disagree about the numbers, and it’s impossible to say what the ultimate political costs of pulling out could be.

On paper, Britain ought still to be able to trade freely with Europe, but would there be a backlash from Brussels designed to damage Britain’s interests if we turned our back on the single market?

What is fairly clear though, is that while Clegg’s right about the number of jobs dependent on trade with Europe, he should be very wary about suggesting that those jobs are automatically at risk if Britain’s relationship with the EU changes.

According to the people who did the research, talk of mass redundancies if Mr Cameron goes for a European exit strategy is just scaremongering."

http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-what-happens-to-the-economy-if-we-pull-out-of-the-eu/8376

Some jobs would go and others would be created, it could be a net loss or a net gain. Clegg talking nonsense on numbers he doesn't kmow will go pear shaped for him at some point.
  • Options
    BenM said:

Lest we forget it was Maggie who chucked millions on the sick to massage the unemployment figures.

Did you roll it all back ? No thought not, you entrenched it further.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

eek said:

Just as there are a small number of SNP voters who do not want independence, there must be some kippers who do not want to leave the EU. Polling for a referendum is different, I am pro EU but would be happy to have a vote on it to settle the issue for a bit.

Some up to date polling on several items in the UKIP manifesto would be interesting, and perhaps illuminate the discussion on whether their vote will hold up in a GE.
    YouGov polled UKIP voters just before the locals. The EU was the 2nd most popular reason for voting UKIP.

1. immigration
    2. EU
    3. unhappy with major parties

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/05/03/immigration-and-europe-give-ukip-appeal/
  • Options
    Here's another Eurocrat getting panicky:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/top-eu-official-british-mps-know-nothing-about-europe-and-pulling-out-of-the-eu-would-be-a-clear-disaster-for-britain-8605212.html

Some choice bits:

Mr Gucht, 59, said that talk of rejecting the greater clout offered by membership of the biggest trading bloc in the world was “a little bit cheap,” asking: “Why would you do it alone when you can do it together and get better results?

Right. Better results. Must be why Canada and Iceland have access to bigger free trade blocs than the EU does.

Next:

“You have a central bank that has the kind of absolute authority and powers to do whatever is needed to get out of an economic crisis and nevertheless they do not manage to do so,”

I laughed out loud at this. Because the ECB has been famously activist in this crisis. You know they cut their interest rates to 0.5% last week, just FOUR YEARS after the Bank of England did the same. What we'd give for that sort of system!

Eurocrats really do think anything connected to the EU is good, don't they? They are completely immune to the facts.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

So said Sooty as Corbett's two handed attempt was firmly rejected !!

• Options
    Apols to the PBer who mentioned this article the other day - but its bang on. As a non-Kipper but increasingly sympathetic to what they're trying to do i.e. upset the status quo - I enjoyed it.

"A divide has opened in British politics. It is not between north and south, or left and right, but between hedgehogs and foxes.

Isaiah Berlin first popularized the idea (taken from a fragment of the Greek poet Archilochus) that "the fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing." He used the notion to categorize the difference between various thinkers. But since last week's local-election upset for the U.K.'s major political parties, it is a way to understand our changing politics.

For some years, in Britain and the rest of Europe, politics has been dominated by foxes who knew (or at least pretended to know) many things. They were of varying quality: some sleek and impressive, others akin to those mangy specimens you find in cities. But whatever their attributes, the foxes also presided over a still-ongoing, continent-wide car crash. So today, in a time of apparently endless and insoluble crises, the attraction of those who know one big thing is very considerable. And if that one big thing happens to be the big thing of your day? Well then perhaps it is right that we've arrived at the age of the hedgehog.

Certainly there could be no better exemplar of a political hedgehog than U.K. Independence Party (UKIP) leader Nigel Farage. A plain-speaking, pint-drinking fellow, it is fair to say that he is not your typical bureaucrat. Yet In Thursday's local-council elections in England, UKIP won almost a quarter of the vote, becoming the third-largest political party in the country. By projected national share of the vote, that puts UKIP only two points behind the Conservatives and nearly 10 points ahead of the Liberal Democrats. What had been recently dismissed as a protest vote turns out to have been an attempt by a large portion of the British public to say something loud and clear.

UKIP's appeal and success have grown in recent years thanks to Mr. Farage's high-profile, full-frontal savagings of the foxes in Brussels. His plucky and bristling assaults on Herman von Rompuy, Catherine Ashton and the rest from his seat in the European Parliament have been mocked by his mainstream political counterparts. But they've also reflected a growing public intuition. For as Brussels and its foxes throughout Europe kept crashing the continent into walls, they also kept pretending that their way of ordering things—an undemocratic, increasingly expensive United States of Europe—was the only reasonable option. When critics began pointing out growing flaws that ought to have been impossible to ignore, the foxes (David Cameron for instance) chose to insult the dissenters and their own electorates instead of engaging with their concerns.... " http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323372504578464704081223308.html
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited May 2013

SeanT said:

Actually, the "UKIP are strong in the South-West" meme wasn't borne out in the council election results. 4 councillors in Devon, 6 in Cornwall, 3 in Somerset, 1 in Dorset.

Good morning. Yes the S.West was a surprise for for me, I thought that logically, UKIP would pick up many of it's seats there. If that had happened, UKIP could have exceeded 200 seats overall.

However UKIP did lay a firm base in the area for further advancement. Those wishing away UKIPs May 2nd achievements have many, many, more disappointments to come.
  • Options
    JackW said:

My inner pedant feels compelled to point out that Sooty doesn't say anything...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Just read that Channel 4 fact check on Clegg's 3 million claim.

I didn't realise that, not only does it assume we wouldn't sign FTAs elsewhere, but it also is based on the belief that we wouldn't have ANY EXPORTS AT ALL to the EU if we left! Clearly a ridiculous proposition. The author of the report has criticised interpreting in terms of job losses.

Nick Clegg is just outright lying about this, and must know it. People say the eurosceptics are dishonest regarding the odd leaflet's claims. But here we have possibly the most senior europhile in the country completely lying about a number to scaremonger as central to the case for staying in the EU. Is there any journalist worth his salt that will confront him about this in an interview?
  • Options
    edited May 2013

SeanT said:

The BBC have a nice map showing density of elected councillors. There is a clear pattern to it.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/67403000/jpg/_67403985_ukip_map_624.jpg

Vote share would be better.

EDIT
    The England Expects blog produced a UKIP vote share map of the 2010 election.

http://englandexpects.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/vote-map-ukip-percentages.html
  • Options

BenM said:

Did you roll it all back ? No thought not, you entrenched it further.
    You'll be telling us next that Labour didn't reopen the coal mines.
  • Options
    F1: early discussion for Spain is up here:
    http://politicalbetting.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/spain-early-discussion.html

Should be many upgrades, so the running order may shift slightly. That said, I don't expect (possibly excepting an unlikely McLaren resurrection) the battle at the sharp end to involve any other teams than Red Bull, Ferrari, Lotus and Mercedes.
  • Options
    Plato said:

JackW said:

What! After Tarbuck, they're not going after Sooty, are they?

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    @anotherDave

"The BBC have a nice map showing density of elected councillors. There is a clear pattern to it."

Not too sure we require a map for thicky councillors. Just follow the trail of fruitcake wrappers !!
  • Options
    Not sure I like the new look of Ladbrokes' site.

On Betfair, Raikkonen shouldn't be 8.2. Backed him with a little at about 7.4 or so a week or two ago. If I hadn't, I'd be very inclined to put a little on him at those odds.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Plato said:

JackW said:

What! After Tarbuck, they're not going after Sooty, are they?

Ha! It's the Flowerpot Men that makes me wonder...

IIRC Bob Monkhouse loathed Jimmy Tarbuck - I never ever liked him on any level. Bob's autobiog is a compelling read if a trifle too much at times. The list of those arrested is eye-popping. The revelations about Mr Hall stunned me - its Savile stuff re use of BBC premises.
  • Options
    Daniel Hannan ‏@DanHannanMEP
    Cliché Cleggie: "If we were to leave the EU we would jeopardise up to 3m jobs in this country..." Why not 6m? Or 12? The sillier the better.

Roger Helmer ‏@RogerHelmerMEP
    Nick Clegg is still claiming that leaving the EU "puts 3 million jobs at risk". He must know that this is quite simply untrue. It's a lie.

Clegg the liar will become a familiar refrain.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Scott_P said:

Clegg is going to get called out on this 3 million jobs nonsense. Where are the 3 million jobs at risk ?
    It's the same 3m jobs which would have been lost if we didn't join the euro...

oh wait...
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Cliché Cleggie: "If we were to leave the EU we would jeopardise up to 3m jobs in this country..." Why not 6m? Or 12? The sillier the better.

Nick Clegg is still claiming that leaving the EU "puts 3 million jobs at risk". He must know that this is quite simply untrue. It's a lie.

The desperate nature of such porkies speaks volumes - its been as plain as day since Cleggers uttered this Big Lie. And the public aren't falling for it anymore. It's rather similar to global warming. When it doesn't get warmer for 15yrs - the benefit of the doubt is eroded.

Now the EU is a total basketcase - we all have eyes, and can make up our own minds about it.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Tories split on Europe. Who'd have thunk it?
  • Options
    MikeK said:

As it should. I have previously thought that Nick Clegg was a pretty decent guy, but he clearly turns into a Blair-style conman over his signature issue. Eurosceptics in general - and UKIP in particular - need to murder Clegg over this. It should be used the way Blair's 45-minutes lie was used against him. It really reveals the dishonesty at the heart of the case for the EU, from a man who has personally benefited from the gravy train, and likely will do in future. It also fits in nicely with UKIP's argument about the same old dishonest politicians doing what's best for them.
  • Options
    tim said:

@Nigel_Farage: Lord Lawsons article in "The Times" today legitimises the UKIP position and exposes serious divisions in the Tory Party.

Next move to Iron Dave

I wonder which Labour politician will have the guts to expose the divisions about the EU within Labour.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    SeanT said:

Electoral Calculus have an article on their projections for UKIP.

24% ~ 5-40 seats
    28% ~ 79-188 seats
    32% ~ 222-241 seats
    36% ~ 256-405 seats

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/Analysis_UKIP.html

EDIT
    "The calculations assume that UKIP support is fairly evenly distributed, or at least it is evenly created from defecting Conservative and Liberal Democrat voters. The calculations have not used local election results to estimate possible locations of heavy UKIP support. If UKIP support is concentrated, rather than being evenly spread, then they will get more MPs despite lower levels of popular support."
  • Options
    Yup

Paul Waugh @paulwaugh
    No10 strategist, cited by @Rachelsylveste1:"In Eastleigh we tested to destruction the idea that we can win by trying to outbid Nigel Farage"
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,284
    Density of councillors etc - nothing compared to the density of lousy data published by councils on the local elections.
  • Options
    The most telling Lawson comment:

".....any changes achieved by David Cameron's attempts to renegotiate the terms of the UK's relations with the EU would be "inconsequential".

He likens any likely outcome to that which Harold Wilson achieved in 1975 which were so trivial no one today remembers what they were....

• Options
    Socrates said:

MikeK said:

As it should. I have previously thought that Nick Clegg was a pretty decent guy, but he clearly turns into a Blair-style conman over his signature issue. Eurosceptics in general - and UKIP in particular - need to murder Clegg over this. It should be used the way Blair's 45-minutes lie was used against him. It really reveals the dishonesty at the heart of the case for the EU, from a man who has personally benefited from the gravy train, and likely will do in future. It also fits in nicely with UKIP's argument about the same old dishonest politicians doing what's best for them.
    TBH, who believes a thing Clegg says nowadays? Even his own voters think he's crap. His approval rating is circa Minus 53. He's got zero credibility with anyone who isn't a die-hard fan.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    I may be wrong on this, but many of the celebrities that have been arrested in respect of very old allegations, have had active involvement with a main political party, attending party conferences and fund raising events. It just struck me this morning that this was the case, with a number of those recently arrested. This is nothing to do with the political party concerned, but it is interesting whether people who commit the alleged crimes, have a general lust for power in all its forms.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530

No surprise the nasty party's most inept spinner is going after the disabled.
    No surprise a "serial labour voting" "floating voter" is glossing over the fact that they boasted about voting for Cammie in the locals and pretending to be kipper friendly now.
    No surprise PBtories have learned nothing and are banging on about Europe and how upset they are over scare tactics.

Bit of a surprise they don't realise why that is so hilarious. ;^ )

• Options
    How quickly they forget:

"Labour votes to leave the EEC

A one-day conference held by the Labour Party to debate Britain's membership of Europe has voted by almost 2-1 to leave the European Economic Community.

The result underlines the deep splits within the party over the issue, which goes to a national referendum on 5 June."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/april/26/newsid_2503000/2503155.stm

But that's all gone away, hasn't it.....?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    tim said:

Next move to Iron Dave

Quick! Draft an EU referendum bill or something. Farage and UKIP will believe that.
    Won't they? ;)

• Options

".....any changes achieved by David Cameron's attempts to renegotiate the terms of the UK's relations with the EU would be "inconsequential".

He likens any likely outcome to that which Harold Wilson achieved in 1975 which were so trivial no one today remembers what they were....

You're right. It's key. In the UK, the whole "In" position rests entirely on the argument that "in with major reform" is the best option. It's the opinion of huge swathes of the influential power-brokers in the UK, from the top of the Conservative party, to the CBI, to all sorts of centrist and centre-right journalists. If it turns out that major reform won't happen, that we still have to pay for the enormously destructive Agricultural Policy, that we still ultimately have to accept unrestricted immigration from Eastern Europe, that we still can't sign our own trade deals, then this whole position collapses. And then we're left with the status quo - gradual integration through non-treaty measures and the odd big integration through Labour governments - versus a network of free trade agreements. That's an argument the europhiles just can't win.
  • Options

I've never quite seen why so much credibility/airtime is given to long past CoE or indeed any politician. Lawson managed to make a colossal mess re MIRAS amongst other things - I hold no candle for his opinions and he's been out of the loop for a decade or two.

I can see worth in Darling saying something - but vanishingly so. Frankly, I don't give a fig what Lawson or any of the pre-97 lot have to say.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Yup

Paul Waugh @paulwaugh
    No10 strategist, cited by @Rachelsylveste1:"In Eastleigh we tested to destruction the idea that we can win by trying to outbid Nigel Farage"

So they're going to give UKIP a free run? Crazy!

• Options
    Harmony over the EU in the tory party, guaranteed.
    Bill Cash ‏@BillCashMP

Give us EU Referendum b4 General Election – EU Trade Yes, EU Government No. Retweet this and save Britain & British business
    Bernard Jenkin MP ‏@bernardjenkin

My article in Telegraph online on UKIP: The time has come for a 'mandate' referendum on our EU membership @Telegraph http://soa.li/Iub32MI
    Daily Telegraph News ‏@TelegraphNews

EU referendum Bill would fail, say Hammond and Hague http://soa.li/CLDJdHQ
    Banging on about Europe. An Osbrowne master strategy Nigel Farage thoroughly approves of.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,897

SeanT said:

Electoral Calculus have an article on their projections for UKIP.

24% ~ 5-40 seats
    28% ~ 79-188 seats
    32% ~ 222-241 seats
    36% ~ 256-405 seats

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/Analysis_UKIP.html

EDIT
    "The calculations assume that UKIP support is fairly evenly distributed, or at least it is evenly created from defecting Conservative and Liberal Democrat voters. The calculations have not used local election results to estimate possible locations of heavy UKIP support. If UKIP support is concentrated, rather than being evenly spread, then they will get more MPs despite lower levels of popular support."
    Surely UKIP will be putting resources heavily into Thanet, Boston, Thurrock & Basildon now for GE2015. And if they aren't, they should be.
  • Options
    Plato said:

I've never quite seen why so much credibility/airtime is given to long past CoE
    In the 'long serving CoE stakes' I'd rate Lawson well ahead of Brown - and as Heaven rejoiceth for every sinner that repenteth, that a former pro-European proponent of the ERM should now say 'we should get out of Europe' is non-trivial......

This discussion has been closed.