Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The post Nick v Nigel debate reaction

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited March 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The post Nick v Nigel debate reaction

My own feeling is that the real loser from tonight is David Cameron and The Tories, today and next week, Nigel Farage has been given one hour to hoover up the Euro-sceptic vote.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited March 2014
    YouGov:

Tory supporters:
    Farage 70%
    Clegg 20%

Labour supporters:
    Clegg 51%
    Farage 42%

UKIP supporters:
    Farage 93%

LD supporters:
    Clegg 77%
    Farage 20%
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Helps for the Euros. Irrelevant for a GE
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    edited March 2014
    AndyJS said:

YouGov:

Tory supporters:
    Farage 70%
    Clegg 20%

Labour supporters:
    Clegg 51%
    Farage 42%

UKIP supporters:
    Farage 93%

LD supporters:
    Clegg 77%
    Farage 20%

Given how much more popular Farage is than Clegg, not surprising that he would edge it even if Clegg has walked all over him (which clearly did not happen), but encouraging for Farage that it was so close with Labour I'd say, even if Clegg's name is mud among such people he does represent closer to their view.

Clegg won't mind 'losing', if he can gain a few points come May he'll consider it job done, and who won the debate won't actually impact things that much, it just matters if a few people are shifted in his favour as a result.
  • Options
    Nick Clegg didn't do too badly, the real losers are Cameron and Miliband in equal measure IMHO.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    All of you are wrong

It's a victory for Salmond.

( well you know it's only a matter of time until one of the nats says it )
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    The 2 things I took from tonight's debate, Farage has contempt for British workers, made outrageous remarks about Ukraine and given the chance will abolish the equal rights the LBGT community has fought hard to win.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    AndyJS said:

YouGov:

Tory supporters:
    Farage 70%
    Clegg 20%

Labour supporters:
    Clegg 51%
    Farage 42%

UKIP supporters:
    Farage 93%

LD supporters:
    Clegg 77%
    Farage 20%

Labour most divided party on Europe. Trouble at t'Miliband.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    AndyJS said:

YouGov:

Tory supporters:
    Farage 70%
    Clegg 20%

Labour supporters:
    Clegg 51%
    Farage 42%

UKIP supporters:
    Farage 93%

LD supporters:
    Clegg 77%
    Farage 20%

Hilarious 93%, they do love the taste of kool aide.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    edited March 2014
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. Easterross, d'you mean he said he'd abolish gay marriage?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    May I be the first to say,lib dem's banging on about Europe again ;-)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Telegraph poll had 79/21 so it gives a good indication of how unrepresentative their readers are: ie. about 15-20 percentage points. No surprise of course.
  • Options

The 2 things I took from tonight's debate, Farage has contempt for British workers, made outrageous remarks about Ukraine and given the chance will abolish the equal rights the LBGT community has fought hard to win.

A breakdown of Scottish viewers would be interesting.
  • Options
    UKIP are in favour of gay marriage, since approx. last week.
  • Options
    Swiss_BobSwiss_Bob Posts: 619
    Farage wins, ha ha, goodbye LibDems. Personally, and I'll agree this is somewhat immature I will take great satisfaction if they lose seats.
  • Options
    The winners tonight? Emmerdale and Coronation St of course. So no change there...

How many people in the UK even knew this debate was taking place - let alone were interested enough to watch it? A few thousand maybe?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    The YouGov poll results re, the debate, shows that people are beginning to sit up and listen to what UKIP is saying.

I gave Nigel the win by 60/40; but then thats just me.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Er, call me mister geek, but I was out shopping for hoodies (off to chilly Connemara tomorrow) and missed the debate. Was it on TV? Is there a catch-up service?

BBC i-player ?

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075
    Mrs J listened to the full hour with me. For new readers, she's a Turkish-Feminist-Pesceterian-Liberal. She slightly sided with Clegg, but got annoyed with both of them, and also thought both made good points.

That can only be seen as a win for Farage.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

And slagging off British food and cars - annoyed me.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    I agree with TSE.
  • Options
    It'll be interesting to see the viewing/listening figures.
  • Options

The winners tonight? Emmerdale and Coronation St of course. So no change there...

How many people in the UK even knew this debate was taking place - let alone were interested enough to watch it? A few thousand maybe?

Certainly the well to do of Swiss Cottage were not jumping into hansom cabs like they did to rush and see Gilbert Jessup get them in singles
  • Options
    I suspect that Adam Boulton does not care for Nigel Farage.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited March 2014
    Clegg's ostrich faction are simply unable to understand the fact that calamity Clegg is toxic to a very sizeable part of the electorate. The debates were always a desperate tactic from a desperate leader of a party still heading inexorably for yet another hammering in May.

What should put the fear of god into those lib dems that are still left is the prospect of calamity Clegg in the 2015 debates where he will be put on the spot repeatedly for "no more broken promises" and which of his policies and manifesto promises of his can be trusted or are red lines. If he does this badly on Europe then it's a very safe bet voters will not be having any 'Cleggasms' his Blair lite delivery produced the last time.

That said Farage was also saying all the things that the tory base would dearly wish the Cast Iron chicken Cameron would say which is also reflected in the polling. You have to feel sorry for tories having to cheer on the missing fop. Cammie wants to stay IN Europe in case they have somehow managed to forget. It's as funny as when Cammie linked the floods to climate change and they got very upset indeed for having to be reminded what their leader believes.

The Labour spinner on Sky sounded utterly pathetic and out of his depth.
    Whoever thought it was a good idea to put him on needs a good kick up the arse.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    Clegg refusing to look at Farage and looking bored / at his notes / closing his eyes while Farage spoke should be interpreted by UKIP as establishment refusing to listen to anything that upsets their cosy status quo
  • Options

A pathetic response, if you'll forgive the harshness of tone. Of course very few people watch such things, but by that logic, anything any politician says at almost any time is meaningless because very few people see or hear it, let alone care. Such events still have an impact as they can help shape the media narrative and people not hugely interested in politics will pick things up.
  • Options

He was asked if he agreed with gay marriage and he said no. He then said that if UKIP can get UK to withdraw from ECHR UKIP would look again at the Gay Marriage legislation (with a view to abolishing it).
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Clegg's ostrich faction are simply unable to understand the fact that calamity Clegg is toxic to a very sizeable part of the electorate. The debates were always a desperate tactic from a desperate leader of a party still heading inexorably for yet another hammering in May.

What should put the fear of god into those lib dems that are still left is the prospect of calamity Clegg in the 2015 debates where he will be put on the spot repeatedly for "no more broken promises" and which of his policies and manifesto promises of his can be trusted or are red lines. If he does this badly on Europe then it's a very safe bet voters will not be having any 'Cleggasms' his Blair lite delivery produced the last time.

That said Farage was also saying all the things that the tory base would dearly wish the Cast Iron chicken Cameron would say which is also reflected in the polling.

36% isn't bad for someone toxic. Just a few percent shy off the current YES poll rating.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    It was noticeable that Labour did not put up a proper talking head for Sky afterwards.

Jon Ashworth is a pillock.
    Mick_Pork said:

That said Farage was also saying all the things that the tory base would dearly wish the Cast Iron chicken Cameron would say which is also reflected in the polling.

• Options
    I doubt this will have shifted many Labour or LD votes. Not so sure the same can be said for Tory and UKIP ones. If I were Dave I'd be ever so slightly concerned.
  • Options

He was asked if he agreed with gay marriage and he said no. He then said that if UKIP can get UK to withdraw from ECHR UKIP would look again at the Gay Marriage legislation (with a view to abolishing it).
    For that alone he deserves nil points and zero seats
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Interesting contrast re the exits - Nick hustled away by minders, Farage having a good old chinwag.
  • Options
    As someone who would vote 'yes' in the September referendum if I still lived in Scotland, can the "Better Together" campaign please be led by Nick Clegg?
  • Options
    Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft 4m

Money talks. UKIP cut from 6/4 to 11/10 at the bookies to win most votes at the Euro elections.
  • Options

I doubt this will have shifted many Labour or LD votes. Not so sure the same can be said for Tory and UKIP ones. If I were Dave I'd be ever so slightly concerned.

can't really see that, status quo I suspect. It will help UKIP with the Euros but the GE will remain on the economics.
  • Options
    Mr. Easterross, I have sympathy with the ECHR position.

The gay marriage position is not one I subscribe to, and abolishing it would be a petty, retrograde step.
  • Options
    Reminds me of Maria Hutchings.
    Carola said:

Interesting contrast re the exits - Nick hustled away by minders, Farage having a good old chinwag.

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800

the well to do of Swiss Cottage

How on earth did you ever arrive at that phrase!?

Swiss Cottage is a big roundabout - you'd only ever say that you lived there if the alternative was Kilburn, but even then I'd go for Kilburn.

• Options
    @FoxinSox - I suspect Ashworth was given that slot by Labour to see if he could hack it in a low-profile, undemanding situation with a view to possible future promotion to more high-profile stuff. He blew it. Very poor indeed.
  • Options

As someone who would vote 'yes' in the September referendum if I still lived in Scotland, can the "Better Together" campaign please be led by Nick Clegg?

so why aren't you living in Scotland ? Is it a self hate thing ?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

36% isn't bad for someone toxic.
    The lib dems have a taxi full of MSPs in scotland and are now a political irrelevance. I know Clegg is toxic. You'll see it proved yet again in May. Europe was supposedly the lib dems trump card but calamity Clegg gets easily beaten by a leader of a party that have no MPs and were at 3.1% in 2010. They won't be be 3.1% in 2015 which is why the fop chicken Cammie is terrified of the kippers.

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,895
    Evening all :)

Well, I didn't watch it and there is of course a second debate next week so as we discovered in 2010 instant post-first debate analysis and polls can be hugely misleading.

What will be interesting to see is the lessons the two participants learn from tonight with a view to next week's exchanges.
  • Options
    Carola said:

• Options

That above, if not an absolute lie comes damn close to it.
    Farage actually said that religious bodies, Church, Synagogue, Mosque, are against SSM at present and most would be against ceremonies conducted on their premises. Until this is sorted out, said Farage, UKIP would consider thinking again. He said nothing about about abolishing SSM carried out in a civil ceremony.
  • Options

Carola said:

Did you notice clegg doing his old look straight into the tv camera routine,it won't work this time cleggy.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    LBC poll (Sky News viewers tweets for)

Farage 1301
    Clegg 557

• Options
    What an odd comment.

• Options

can't really see that, status quo I suspect. It will help UKIP with the Euros but the GE will remain on the economics.

What status quo though? Farage spoke passionately about an issue that is dear to the hearts of many Tory activists and MPs. That's bad news for Dave and doubly so if Farage manages to keep a few more folk on the UKIP express.

• Options
    MikeK said:

Farage actually said that religious bodies, Church, Synagogue, Mosque, are against SSM at present and most would be against ceremonies conducted on their premises. Until this is sorted out, said Farage, UKIP would consider thinking again. He said nothing about about abolishing SSM carried out in a civil ceremony.
    Semantics - he is anti gay marriage - that came across as clear as his Putin hero worship.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Which of those were the 2 things? :P
  • Options
    He is the Ratners of British politics.

Carola said:

Did you notice clegg doing his old look straight into the tv camera routine,it won't work this time cleggy.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

The lib dems have a taxi full of MSPs in scotland and are now a political irrelevance. I know Clegg is toxic. You'll see it proved yet again in May. Europe was supposedly the lib dems trump card but calamity Clegg gets easily beaten by a leader of a party that have no MPs and were at 3.1% in 2010. They won't be be 3.1% in 2015 which is why the fop chicken Cammie is terrified of the kippers.

Clegg's toxicity is a well known fact, but your claim he was easily beaten by Farage is not a fact at all. Some will think so, some will not, but it is not something that cannot be disputed, unlike his toxicity (which I maintain reaches absurd proportions that reflect poorly on the public, but cannot be denied as his name is poison among a great many segments of the voters)

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Clegg is toxic. You'll see it proved yet again in May. Europe was supposedly the lib dems trump card but calamity Clegg gets easily beaten by a leader of a party that have no MPs and were at 3.1% in 2010. They won't be be 3.1% in 2015 which is why the fop chicken Cammie is terrified of the kippers.

This isn't true though. Clegg is widely respected.

• Options

What status quo though? Farage spoke passionately about an issue that is dear to the hearts of many Tory activists and MPs. That's bad news for Dave and doubly so if Farage manages to keep a few more folk on the UKIP express.

Yeah, but activists aren't any more important than joe public, they both have one vote. Joe public worries about the economy employment and paying the bills. So there may be a short term UKIP boost for the Euros but at the GE its cash is king.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

What's your position on gay marriage?
  • Options

What an odd comment.

Not at all, if you don't like where you live why do you live there ? Seems daft to me.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    TGOHF said:
    Hodges sharp as ever. Even when, for once, he's not whinging about Ed. He would have called the battle of Hastings for Harold.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    isam said:

Clegg refusing to look at Farage and looking bored / at his notes / closing his eyes while Farage spoke should be interpreted by UKIP as establishment refusing to listen to anything that upsets their cosy status quo

And when someone points out Farage didn't look at him either (outside the odd glance)?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Corporeal, if you're out there, we're waiting for you to confirm on Diplomacy!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    The comments under there are going to be brilliant, can almost hear the grinding of teeth from here.

• Options
    As a Lib Dem supporter, I still thought Farage edged the debate. Nick Clegg started strongly, but seemed to lose a little energy as the hour wore on. He also got too bogged down in statistics.

Given the sizeable Eurosceptic vote, the 57-36 score isn't bad. I think he's capable of doing better in a week's time.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557

What an odd comment.

Not at all, if you don't like where you live why do you live there ? Seems daft to me.
    Just cos one likes one place does not mean one has to dislike all other places.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    corporeal said:

isam said:

And when someone points out Farage didn't look at him either (outside the odd glance)?
    Then I would say, watch it again, you've got it wrong

Sky News just ran a piece showing Clegg refusing to look at Farage, while Farage was looking at him directly, asking questions
  • Options
    Mr. Chamberlain, welcome to pb.com.

Good name for a pber.
  • Options
    LOL.
    Jonathan said:

TGOHF said:
    Hodges sharp as ever. Even when, for once, he's not whinging about Ed. He would have called the battle of Hastings for Harold.
  • Options

What an odd comment.

Guilt getting to you ?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Mick_Pork said:

Clegg is toxic. You'll see it proved yet again in May. Europe was supposedly the lib dems trump card but calamity Clegg gets easily beaten by a leader of a party that have no MPs and were at 3.1% in 2010. They won't be be 3.1% in 2015 which is why the fop chicken Cammie is terrified of the kippers.

By his ostrich faction of lib dem spinners?

LOL
  • Options
    MikeK said:

He was asked if HE was against Gay Marriage and he said he was. He was asked about the legislation and said if UK withdraws from the ECHR UKIP would look at it again. What reason would they look at it? To admire the drafting? No simply to abolish it. No other explanation from your Putin apologist leader.
  • Options
    It's perfectly ok to live somewhere other than your own nation. That well-known Yorkshireman Constantine the Great resided in Byzantium, for example.
  • Options

Mr. Chamberlain, welcome to pb.com.

Good name for a pber.

Thank you!

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,069
    Farage 'won' the debate.

But, actually, they both won.

Because they were aiming at different audiences. Farage was pitching to the 70% of Conservatives who are Eurosceptic, and may well have picked up quite a few votes. Clegg was pitching to the 30% of Conservatives who are Europhilic and the 50% of Labour-ites who are likewise: he may also have picked up a few votes.

Farage was very strong on Europe; Clegg was poor, and missed a number of opportunities.

Farage was weak when he moved away from Europe. Gay marriage and Russia/Putin are areas where UKIP can only lose votes and he needs to stay on message, otherwise the danger is that he'll be goaded into saying something pretty dumb someday.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    kle4 said:

Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

Clegg's toxicity is a well known fact, but your claim he was easily beaten by Farage is not a fact at all.
    You didn't read the thread?

BREAKING: FARAGE WINS. Nigel beats Nick 57-36 - @YouGov/Sun poll: http://bit.ly/1p7HCRv
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Omnium said:

Mick_Pork said:

LOL

No, mainly by people that listen and think.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Omnium said:

Mick_Pork said:

Why do you say that? In the leader ratings polls he places last.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    POWLWAS.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-26754300

Lose lose situation for Labour over Welsh NHS.
  • Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVnWLRVJkwM

*chortle*

At least she turned up though, unlike the fop chicken. ;)
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,069

Omnium said:

Mick_Pork said:

When Omnium says "widely respected", what he actually means is "liked by his wife and mother; tolerated by his children."
  • Options
    saddened said:

TGOHF said:
    The comments under there are going to be brilliant, can almost hear the grinding of teeth from here.

Hodges is a genius. I don't he is always right - in fact I usually think he is wrong - but he has this talent for knowing how to perfectly stir things up to infuriate or please the Telegraph Commenters depending on the topic. I think he has a lot of fun in his job.
  • Options
    isam said:

corporeal said:

isam said:

Then I would say, watch it again, you've got it wrong

Sky News just ran a piece showing Clegg refusing to look at Farage, while Farage was looking at him directly, asking questions
    Must have been later on when he forgot himself a bit. He spent at least the first half tilting his body but always looking outwards.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

MikeK said:

He was asked if HE was against Gay Marriage and he said he was. He was asked about the legislation and said if UK withdraws from the ECHR UKIP would look at it again. What reason would they look at it? To admire the drafting? No simply to abolish it. No other explanation from your Putin apologist leader.
    The gay marriage stuff puts Farage firmly in Nasty Party territory. Loathsome man.
  • Options

Spot on.

Yet another non-event that PBers get excited about but normal people barely notice.
  • Options

I believe the YouGov poll had just under half Labour supporters backing Mr Farage, and 20% of LD supporters too.
  • Options

Spot on.

Yet another non-event that PBers get excited about but normal people barely notice.
    Stop stealing my thread ideas while I'm still writing them.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Mick_Pork said:

kle4 said:

Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

Clegg's toxicity is a well known fact, but your claim he was easily beaten by Farage is not a fact at all.
    You didn't read the thread?

BREAKING: FARAGE WINS. Nigel beats Nick 57-36 - @YouGov/Sun poll: http://bit.ly/1p7HCRv
    You didn't read my comment? A fact cannot be disputed - and that Clegg is toxic cannot be disputed, even if some might think it is unfair on him to a certain degree - and a significant minority in that poll apparently think Clegg won. A majority may well think otherwise, but labelling that opinion as a fact in the mould of Clegg being toxic is not true.

We appear to have reverted to the old habit of 'kle4 and Mickpork cannot agree on semantic definitions' on this one.

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

Spot on.

A bit like the Scottish Independence referendum then.
  • Options
    FPT

OGH: "It is amongst this group where you can get the longer odds and our friend Shadsy has just tightened the 8/1 that I put £100 on in one seat to 4/1. I’m not revealing which one because I hope to get good value from other bookies."

I fancy Mike was referring here to his bet on the LibDems holding Brent Central which Ladbrokes do indeed have on offer at 4/1.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    On topic, I haven't seen any real coverage of the debate, in which I'm probably in 99%+ of the population. As such, ref

My own feeling is that the real loser from tonight is David Cameron and The Tories, today and next week, Nigel Farage has been given one hour to hoover up the Euro-sceptic vote

I would be a lot more concerned as a Conservative if the elections were closer than 8 weeks away and if the debate were seen by a substantial portion of the population.
  • Options
    Katy Hopkins with a dick.
    kle4 said:

saddened said:

TGOHF said:

Hodges is a genius. I don't he is always right - in fact I usually think he is wrong - but he has this talent for knowing how to perfectly stir things up to infuriate or please the Telegraph Commenters depending on the topic. I think he has a lot of fun in his job.
  • Options

Sure, he's earned no votes. He has however demonstrated that coalition is possible, is workable, and is an option. I doubt there's an MP that wouldn't class that as an enormous achievement. The public will catch up. I don't imagine that it changes votes though.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Omnium said:

Mick_Pork said:

Omnium said:

Mick_Pork said:

LOL

No, mainly by people that listen and think.
    By the mythical 'Alarm Clock Britain' Calamity Clegg was banging on about before that inept spin was laughed out of politics?

Clegg's an idiot. He thought yet more public exposure would somehow negate his toxicity with the voters. It hasn't and it won't. He's been doing his amusing radio phone-in for all this time in a feeble effort to repeat Blair's 'masochism' strategy. Yet he he somehow hasn't realised it didn't work for Blair or that the lib dems have been flatlining on 10% since late 2010 and show no sign whatsoever of 'surging' away from that.
  • Options

What an odd comment.

Guilt getting to you ?
    You are behaving oddly. Probably best to just ignore you today.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Really??

Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft 6m

Bookies make it 11/10 that UKIP win a seat at the General Election.

13/8 UNIBET Yes
    4/6 Ladbrokes No
  • Options
    The more time passes - since the debate - the more Farage is deemed the winner.
    This time on the Telegraph poll, Farage is now leading by 80% v Clegg's 20%.
  • Options

Spot on.

A bit like the Scottish Independence referendum then.
    Try asking Scots if they have noticed the indyref. Must be pretty close to 100 %. Then ask them if they noticed Farage-Clegg. Must be pretty close to zero.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Spot on.

So what? Hardly anyone watches PMQs, or Daily Politics when you compare to the population at large, but they still make headlines and soundbites. All this was expected to do, it achieved. That normal people won't care is not even really relevant here.

The implication when people make arguments about the 'non-event' status of these things is that this is apparently a shock, as though political debates would be expected to have a direct impact on people in a major way and thus, gosh, what a let down. Of course it is non event if you assess it on those terms. Assess it on the terms of what it actually was and was intended to be - a little watched but, its participant's hope, possibly much talked about event which helps set a narrative and generates some easy headlines and soundbites - and on those terms? We shall have to wait for the full assessment, but given nearly all political events are only of interest to political wonks like ourselves, it did the job well enough
  • Options
    kle4 said:

A pathetic response, if you'll forgive the harshness of tone. Of course very few people watch such things, but by that logic, anything any politician says at almost any time is meaningless because very few people see or hear it, let alone care. Such events still have an impact as they can help shape the media narrative and people not hugely interested in politics will pick things up.

Sure, I'll forgive the tone of your first sentence - you obviously took my jokey comment seriously... :/

There's nothing I can particularly take issue with in the remainder of your post.

• Options
    edited March 2014

On topic, I haven't seen any real coverage of the debate, in which I'm probably in 99%+ of the population. As such, ref

My own feeling is that the real loser from tonight is David Cameron and The Tories, today and next week, Nigel Farage has been given one hour to hoover up the Euro-sceptic vote

I would be a lot more concerned as a Conservative if the elections were closer than 8 weeks away and if the debate were seen by a substantial portion of the population.

I think UKIP had the eurosceptic voters last week.

The real danger for the Conservatives and Labour is if Mr Clegg's gambit pays out, and the pro-EU voters do treat the LDs as "the party of in" when they cast their EU Parliament votes.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Tarage looked most uncomfortable when confronted with his own antics over troughing, and as soon as he entered non europe related topics entered fruitcake territory, slagging off British cars, food and gay marriage.

The poor performance of Kipper MEPs in terms of voting and sleaze should be highlighted. I find it hard to believe that Farages wife is preparing papers at midnight for Nigel, so he can not bother speaking or voting on them the next day.

As a Lib Dem supporter, I still thought Farage edged the debate. Nick Clegg started strongly, but seemed to lose a little energy as the hour wore on. He also got too bogged down in statistics.

Given the sizeable Eurosceptic vote, the 57-36 score isn't bad. I think he's capable of doing better in a week's time.

This discussion has been closed.