Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » EU referendum poll blow for Farage only hours before the TV

Comments

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    Carola said:

Clegg getting better. He's finding his *passion*. Farage started with his and now he's getting a bit knackered.

He's getting rather cross. I think that will appeal to a lot of people who are angry about Europe.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    I'm not betting on this but if I was I'd rather be a Farage backer
  • Options
    Spare a thought for me, I have to write the post debate thread.

I'm guaranteed to upset someone.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Increased student fees arose from the Browne report commissioned by the last Labour government.

No matter what Clegg says or does in this debate, I keep on thinking of his pledge not to increase student fees.

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited March 2014

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Anorak said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I wonder how many people would suddenly change their views on EU membership in/out if their employers point out how much of their sales and exports (and therefore jobs) are dependent on Britain's membership of the EU. This problem will become a live issue for thousands of Scots after 19th September if their employers have to begin assessing the effect of Scotland being outside the EU and wanting in.

Dear Dear Easterross , not that old canard, we will still be in the EU and by the time we have finalised negotiations and departed the union , we will still be in the EU.
    malc I agree with that, but what none of the Nats will face up to is the terms of membership will have changed and not to Scotland's benefit. Fisheries, oil, Euro, rebates etc. , that's the price of rejoining.
    Alan, Hopefully we will not get completely rogered, we can always tell them to F off if we do not like it.
    "Hopefully we will not get completely rogered"

That's the plan is it? Hope and moonshine? Best of luck with that.
    You are obviously a bit dense and misinterpreted my witty riposte to Alan, the Scottish Government are not stupid and will obviously negotiate hard in the country's best interests. As I clearly said if the EU are not reasonable then we can tell them where to stick it. No-one can know in advance what the positions will be but it would not be surprising if they were light on Scotland to tweak London's tail.
    However, it should also be remembered that EWNI will also be in negotiations at the same time to reenter the EU, or to adjust to its new, but continuing, place in the EU (on precisely the same logic as Scotland, depending on which side of that part of the indy debate one tends to be). I for one don't believe that the EU will automatically roll over and allow EWNI to claim to be the sole continuing state without at least a poke in the biceps and a hard stare.

I think you'll be surprised! The rUK will not "claim" anything, it will be automatically recognised as the continuing member state.

The naivety is breathtaking.

Your knowledge of international law is clearly non-existent.

Maybe Dickson's seen the non existent EU legal advice on which Salmond spent £20,000 trying to keep secret?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Scott_P said:

@paulwaugh
    First proper gaffe? Did Farage just blunder by appearing to trash the UK car industry? #LBCdebate

@nicholaswatt
    Has @Nigel_Farage just said that EU cars from outside UK are better than those built in UK?

Think he was pointing out BMW 5 series are higher cost and added value than a Nissan, though it did seem clumsily expressed to me.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@paulwaugh
    First proper gaffe? Did Farage just blunder by appearing to trash the UK car industry? #LBCdebate

@nicholaswatt
    Has @Nigel_Farage just said that EU cars from outside UK are better than those built in UK?

Vorsprung Dutch Technik

• Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    The converted are being preached to, and cry out in support of their own side.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,954
    Doubt this will make much difference to anything, to be honest.

The audience must be tiny and out of those that are watching they'll mostly be converted to the "cause" one way or another.
  • Options
    Human rights act - The equivalent of a Jade Dernbach over for Farage
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Now Farage trashes British grub - too many mussels in Brussels ? What a cretin...
  • Options

Just say the winner was the person who's name began with "N" ;)

• Options
    he has scored twos and threes. Slightly missed opportunity.
  • Options
    This has changed my mind - I wouldn't vote Ukip after this - Farage is a pompous buffoon.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071

Hope you catch the match at 8pm. This is just a curtain raiser.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

@paulwaugh

@nicholaswatt

Vorsprung Dutch Technik

You referring to Cleggy?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Is it just me or does Farage look sweatier (not Nixon vs Kennedy sweaty but still).
  • Options

Hope you catch the match at 8pm. This is just a curtain raiser.
    I can multi-task.

I once wrote a PB thread from inside a gay bar.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    welshowl said:

Scott_P said:

@paulwaugh

@nicholaswatt

Think he was pointing out BMW 5 series are higher cost and added value than a Nissan, though it did seem clumsily expressed to me.
    Nigel wouldn't know. I don't think he has ever driven a Nissan.

• Options
    Nick doesn't need to win a majority; he just needs to win over some of the pro-european Conservatives and Labour. If his vote goes to 15% for the Euro vote then he is a winner.

• Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Advice can be disregarded or modified. Clegg made the promise and welshed on it.

Increased student fees arose from the Browne report commissioned by the last Labour government.

No matter what Clegg says or does in this debate, I keep on thinking of his pledge not to increase student fees.

• Options
    This is like watching a boxing match where Clegg is getting the occasional jab\round on points but its clear who is going to win.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

This has changed my mind - I wouldn't vote Ukip after this - Farage is a pompous buffoon.

It took you until this debate to work this out? ;)

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Farage weaker on the same sex marriage
  • Options
    Is that any less honourable than the Labour party which refused to take a position before the 2010 election?

Advice can be disregarded or modified. Clegg made the promise and welshed on it.

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

TGOHF said:

It took you until this debate to work this out? ;)

To be fair this is the most of Farage I've seen - not a grower. Looks froggish too.
  • Options
    Whatever your opinion of the EU, Clegg is poison to the pro-EU side.
  • Options
    Dear oh Dear - I think that was Farage's "there you go again" moment
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

This is like watching a boxing match where Clegg is getting the occasional jab\round on points but its clear who is going to win.

Farage is very marmitey. Not sure he'll win many people over who previously did not think Europe was a hugely important issue.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Matthew Goodwin ‏@GoodwinMJ 7m

Farage proving he is no cheap populist and knows his stuff. Wonder what Cameron & Miliband thinking? #lbcdebate
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,798
    welshowl said:

Scott_P said:

@paulwaugh

@nicholaswatt

The UK is the second largest luxury car manufacturer in Europe and probably in the world.

RR, Bentley, Jaguar, Land Rover, Aston Martin, Mini ain't cheap.
  • Options
    Has anyone measured the talk time of each ?
  • Options
    Finding the "calling the questioner repeatedly by their name" trick a bit patronising and falsefacey now
  • Options
    Stick Farage on the air and the guy speaks with more faux sincerity and passion than any of the other leaders. This is the start of the UKIP election campaign - they will be covered extensively in the Euros and will speak with the clear position and simplicity that Cameroon Tories can only dream of.

The recent upswell in the Tory vote and downswell in the UKIP one? Won't last. When UKIP Get coverage their share increases. That means their position strengthens in the run up to the Yerp elections this May then the same for the GE. Which means a corresponding reversion in the Tory vote. Whilst the Labour VI stays at 38. But I'm sure that I'm wrong and Cameron with his track record of sincerity and simple position on Europe will win through on those UKIP defectees.....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,132
    Just out of Captain America 2, now on to the Farage-Clegg debate. Not a bad mix of entertainment for the evening. Yes, I'm weird.
  • Options

welshowl said:

Scott_P said:

@paulwaugh

@nicholaswatt

The UK is the second largest luxury car manufacturer in Europe and probably in the world.

RR, Bentley, Jaguar, Land Rover, Aston Martin, Mini ain't cheap.
    Sure. I suppose Farage was referring to Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Ford. I'm afraid I'm not up on the facts of the automotive balance of trade overall though.
  • Options
    Trust is a rare commodity :D Line of the night from Clegg. Climate change...
  • Options

Farage weaker on the same sex marriage

He is stronger on polygamy.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    edited March 2014
    kle4 said:

Just out of Captain America 2, now on to the Farage-Clegg debate. Not a bad mix of entertainment for the evening. Yes, I'm weird.

Was it good, going to watch it this weekend.
  • Options
    Breaking News.... As a pro-european Tory.... I'm not voting for UKIP or Lib Dem...

or indeed Tory?

Why?

Vote Mr. Speaker... Bercow land for me...
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,264
    isam said:

Did Farage just say that Ford had moved the Southampton plant to Turkey, and then a few seconds later say it moved to Poland?

These strange countries are all the same, aren't they?

No. Ferrari said Turkey, and Farage said Poland
    Ah, okay. So Farage was wrong. It's moving to Turkey.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-23432322
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Southampton_plant

These strange countries are all the same, aren't they? ;-)
  • Options

kle4 said:

I've seen it.

Very good, slightly different to the other Marvel movies.

Totally has changed the Marvel cinematic universe.

There's two post credits scene, one midway, one right at the end.

Oh and there's lot of Scarlett Johansson
  • Options

Stick Farage on the air and the guy speaks with more faux sincerity and passion than any of the other leaders. This is the start of the UKIP election campaign - they will be covered extensively in the Euros and will speak with the clear position and simplicity that Cameroon Tories can only dream of.

The recent upswell in the Tory vote and downswell in the UKIP one? Won't last. When UKIP Get coverage their share increases. That means their position strengthens in the run up to the Yerp elections this May then the same for the GE. Which means a corresponding reversion in the Tory vote. Whilst the Labour VI stays at 38. But I'm sure that I'm wrong and Cameron with his track record of sincerity and simple position on Europe will win through on those UKIP defectees.....

I can't see this affecting the Labour or LD vote shares very much.

• Options
    Rob Ford (England) ‏@robfordmancs 41s

Not good for Farage when he's forced to discuss paying his wife EU money. Looks like just another greedy politician.
  • Options
    Cleggs come back into this slightly but F garage has won
  • Options
    Farage comes out for Putin - bizarre when there was no need to.
  • Options

isam said:

Did Farage just say that Ford had moved the Southampton plant to Turkey, and then a few seconds later say it moved to Poland?

A minor error that doesn't matter here or there Id say
  • Options
    Android iPhone spell autochecker !
  • Options
    Spare a thought for the staffers hunched over laptops trying churn out instant memes almost before the sentence is finished.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,167
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/mar/26/advert-scottish-media-banned-glasgow-political

O/T (sorry Watcher et al) but a very amusing story with some serious wider implications for what happens if the mainstream media is not telling the full story.
  • Options
    Final verdict:

A NO SCORE BORE DRAW
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    IndyRef betting news

Ladbrokes cut Yes from 4/1 to 7/2. New best prices:

Yes 7/2 (various)
    No 2/9 (various)
  • Options
    Dan Hodges calls it an easy win for Clegg.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    corporeal said:

Spare a thought for the staffers hunched over laptops trying churn out instant memes almost before the sentence is finished.

They knew what they were getting into, I have no sympathy for such minions.

I believe Avery's analysis would have been the preferred narrative no matter what (I only saw 20 minutes so cannot speak for the whole thing as to whether it would be accurate), but of course it depends how one judges it. Of course a debate on the EU is boring, of course few people will have watched it and of course there will be no consensus as to who 'won'. But those are unchangable facts, and judging it for what it was and what those involved hoped to achieve? People are talking about it. Positive or negative, that is all any of them wanted as a minimum.

And I've seen far more boring political debates. The small bit I saw was interesting enough for what it was.

• Options
    Full of Sound and Fury, signifying nothing
  • Options

Exactly. Nor did the budget. Or indeed much else. The variance in the lead has pretty much all been Tories and Ukip swapping a few swingers. But strengthen the kipper score and you weaken the Tories score.

• Options

kle4 said:

Captain America 2 is the usual Marvel rubbish. Very entertaining rubbish though. ;-)

The Big Boss is obvious the moment (s)he appears, and the nemesis is also obvious far too early. It plays to the genre, but does it very well.

As an aside, I'm going to start a company that advises large futuristic corps and evil organisations on designing space- and air- craft. For instance, putting central computer consoles at the end of long gangways with long drops below always ends in disaster, especially when the gangways only have puny handrails. Such craft having large voids with glass floors below is also a no-no.

I'll make a fortune.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,850
    Clegg just blew his argument. His motivation now seems to be distinguishing himself from the other mainstream politicians. Daft!
  • Options
    Farage 5 lengths in front at the turn. Clegg closing Garage by half a length.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Well chaired I think.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Love that people think it's worthwhile cherry picking tweets that reinforce their own view as if it proves something.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Exactly. Nor did the budget. Or indeed much else. The variance in the lead has pretty much all been Tories and Ukip swapping a few swingers. But strengthen the kipper score and you weaken the Tories score.

Nothing can stop the Lab maj nailed on ?
  • Options
    Well I enjoyed that. I'd be slightly worried if I was Dave.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

It does matter for his argument: Turkey is outside the EU, but has a FTA with the EFTA. Does this mean that Farage would leave EFTA as well as the EU?
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

It does matter for his argument: Turkey is outside the EU, but has a FTA with the EFTA. Does this mean that Farage would leave EFTA as well as the EU?
    Leave it x
  • Options
    What's the verdict of the worm ?
  • Options
    saddened said:

Love that people think it's worthwhile cherry picking tweets that reinforce their own view as if it proves something.

Shhh. You'll ruin the magic of political theatre.

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    TGOHF said:

Dan Hodges calls it an easy win for Clegg.

Farage win it is, then.

• Options
    saddened said:

obv aimed at me..

I thought it would be better to quote an independent source rather than say it myself as I am so obviously biased, that's all

• Options
    I enjoyed that surprisingly a lot. The format was better than the sterile way the 2010 debates were held.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

What's the verdict of the worm ?

LBC one popped its clogs half way though. The Guardian one - not sure by the end.
  • Options
    Seriously, what the eff was Farage's answer about Ukraine all about?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    A good debate that Nigel won by a canter.
    Cammo and Millipede 2nd class, must be gnashing their tootipegs in frustration that they were not present.

The debate though, will be a boon to both Ukip and the L/dems.
  • Options
    Peter Bone looks scarily like the Demon Headmaster.
  • Options
    The Guardian conclusion is that Farage won on points. Now for the YouGov poll.
  • Options

Putin man love was a bit weird. As was slagging off British food and cars.
  • Options
    In order to get away from the four freedoms including freedom of movement, Britain would have to leave EFTA and EEA.

Farage is like Salmond, he doesnt care about collateral damage and has no plans for much afterwards, as long as he gets out of the Union.

isam said:

isam said:

• Options
    edited March 2014

kle4 said:

I've seen it.

Very good, slightly different to the other Marvel movies.

Totally has changed the Marvel cinematic universe.

There's two post credits scene, one midway, one right at the end.

Oh and there's lot of Scarlett Johansson
    I'd agree. It's hardly a smart movie, but I dislike things being labelled as rubbish as a result (even fun rubbish), and like the first Captain America it's tone and style feels distinct from the others, and yet as it is not a WW2 movie, it is also distinct in tone from the first. I like movies that have no pretensions and are designed to be fun without going for crazily dumb fun territory.

Some good character work for new or underdeveloped characters, and agreed, has a major impact on the cinematic movie universe (about something which needed addressing, but does make me wonder what they'll do to follow it up). Johansson is actually good for once.

Didn't know about the second post credits scene. You just love to catch us out, huh, Marvel?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Sky News indicate the LBC worm edged it to Farage by a whisker.
  • Options
    I'm supposed to be doing a YouGov post debate survey..... but the site's just crashed.
  • Options

Correct but should never have been stated.
  • Options
    BlueberryBlueberry Posts: 408
    God knows how the public will measure that. Probably through the media I should think since most won't have seen it. And those that did already had a position.

I think Clegg messed up when he said "read the small print" though. Ouch. That'll get thrown back at him again.

Lot of wrangling about figures. Could do with the ONS for Europe. Not that anyone would trust it.
  • Options
    isam said:

saddened said:

obv aimed at me..

I thought it would be better to quote an independent source rather than say it myself as I am so obviously biased, that's all

nope, it's a general observation. Some are more Looney than others in their bias, yes MikeK I'm looking at you, but we all do it to some extent.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited March 2014

Well I enjoyed that. I'd be slightly worried if I was Dave.

Farage and Clegg in their different ways were both going for the Labour vote. Both were effective. EdM should be very worried.

• Options
    Carola said:

Well chaired I think.

Is that LBC-"well chaired", from the LBC panel. No complaint about that, but it does rather grate.

However, three LBC cheers for the LBC debate!

• Options
    Omnium said:

Carola said:

Well chaired I think.

Is that LBC-"well chaired", from the LBC panel. No complaint about that, but it does rather grate.

Er... wot?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Danny Alexander: Nick Clegg clear winner of the debate.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,039
    Good evening, everyone.

In the end I didn't watch it (partly due to Futurama, but I also came up with a short story idea). The fact they were using a worm greatly depresses me.
  • Options
    Jon Ashwarth falling flat on Sky News afterwards, only wanted to rabbit on about cost of living. The worst of Leicesters MPs, and that includes Vaz.

I see that all the senior LDs are there to back Clegg.
  • Options
    Farage won. Not by much. But he did win
  • Options
    BlueberryBlueberry Posts: 408
    I like Nick Ferrari. Used to listen to Five Live in the mornings. But got pissed off with them covering women's football and the like, just to be inclusive. Made me feel like I was being socially engineered. Ferrari, and many on LBC, are noticeably to the right of the BBC, but in a matter of fact, common sense way. Very refreshing.
  • Options
    Andrew Mitchell: score draw.
  • Options
    Carola said:

Omnium said:

Carola said:

Well chaired I think.

Er... wot?
    Probably just me, but I felt rather overwhelmed by the logos etc.
  • Options
    Danny Alexander better in 2 minutes than Clegg in an hour.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Sky News - YouGov Poll 1003 sample 57/36 win for Farage
  • Options
    YouGov calling it for Farage.
  • Options
    YouGov:

Farage 57%
    Clegg 36%
    DK 7%
  • Options
    YouGov:

Tory supporters:

Farage 70%
    Clegg 20%

Labour supporters:

Clegg 51%
    Farage 42%

UKIP supporters:

Farage 93%

LD supporters:

Clegg 77%
    Farage 20%
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Farage won. Not by much. But he did win

Considering it's supposed to be his specialist, in fact only, subject that must be disappointing for the faithful.

This discussion has been closed.