Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The LDs would be fools to choose Cable over Alexander as sh

SystemSystem Posts: 11,701
edited March 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The LDs would be fools to choose Cable over Alexander as shadow chancellor at GE2015

There’s a little debate going on within the LDs over whether Vince Cable or Danny Alexander should by the party’s “shadow chancellor” at GE 2015. Both are cabinet ministers – Alexander is chief secretary to Treasury while Cable is the business secretary.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    edited March 2014
    Cable ? Please God no, he's been useless at BIS and would be worse at the Treasury. Even Osborne is better and it pains me to write that.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,879
    I confess to not understanding the first point. In the public mind, surely Cable is more firmly differentiated from the Tories than Alexander is?

Cable is also IMO more telegenic than Alexander or, for that matter, most of the Orange Bookers; he seems like a "wise old head" compared to Boy George.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Cable's a joke - it's impossible to take him seriously after his claims in the Daily Telegraph sting.

I've met Alexander through mutual friends, and was pleasantly surprised. Very savvy.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    To the extent that anyone can recognise a Lib Dem (or any politician) I would have thought most would assume Alexander is their shadow chancellor, considering he will have been number 2 at the Treasury for 5 years and speaking quite often on things economic (e.g. this morning)
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    While I agree that Alexander is better and points 2-4, I agree with El_Captino. It's more effective to differentiate by elevating the guy who is known to clash with the Tories, not the one who works well with them. The electorate hears too much noise for a message with the nuance you are implying ("Look, even this guy who works well with the Tories disagrees. Clearly we all disagree with them hugely.") won't make it through.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    edited March 2014
    FPT
    Happy Birthday, pb and thanks to all those who set it up and maintained it.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Is there such a thing as "Shadow Chancellor" for a party 4th in the polls? Do the Greens get one?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Thanks Mike and other commentators for the hours of amusement.
  • Options
    nestreetnestreet Posts: 8
    "Alexander has worked closely with Osborne since May 2010 and knows where “the bodies are buried“."

This argument cuts both ways. Any failings by Alexander in his current role will be well known to the CotE and his team.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    SeanT said:

Happy Birthday Mike, and big hugs to all involved.

Back on topic, that sharia law society story is just extraordinary. I am now awaiting guidance from the Fireworks Safety Association on How to Perform Suttee on Hindu Widows.

"When placing the screaming widow on the blazing funeral pyre, always use approved fire-resistant gloves. Keep pets indoors"

The Law Society wants to facilitate business - just follow the money to the lawyers' pockets.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    edited March 2014
    Good afternoon, everyone.

I concur with the thread's premise, but must admit that it's partly because I dislike Cable.

Edited extra bit: on an unrelated note, I'm rather enjoying Diplomacy, even if I am making newcomer errors.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

Since Mr Dickson has taken to posting stories I posted on the previous thread:

FPT:

4:45AM edited 4:50AM
    Details of the SIndy poll:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-new-poll-shows-yes-shift-1-3350563

And John Curtice' take on it:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/john-curtice-no-s-doom-and-gloom-misses-target-1-3350579

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2014/03/march-icm-poll-uncovers-worrying-underlying-trends-for-no/

Indeed, more generally the poll confirms the degree to which Labour support is potentially the weak link in the unionist camp; once the Don’t Knows are excluded no less than 34% of those who backed Labour in 2011 say they will vote Yes.

Somehow I doubt Malcolm will be denouncing Curtice as a Unionist stooge and lickspittle today.....
    As I observed yesterday (and have many times in the past), it really is all down to Labour in Scotland. God help us.....
    This is another new poll showing move to YES. It is very noteworthy that Curtice has modified his position, he must see which way the wind is blowingh as he sees NO heading for the toilet. Herald has moved considerably recently and only the Daily Retard and the toilet paper Scotsman are trying to pretend that NO is doing well.
    Come May when we see YES on parity or ahead it will be joyful to behold the panic.
    The No campaign's lead in the Poll of Polls headline figures :

Sep 2013 - 20.2%
    Sep 2013 - 20.0%
    Sep 2013 - 18.4%
    Oct 2013 - 17.9%
    Oct 2013 - 17.5%
    Oct 2013 - 17.4%
    Nov 2013 - 17.5%
    Dec 2013 - 17.1%
    Dec 2013 - 16.3%
    Dec 2013 - 16.2%
    Dec 2013 - 15.8%
    Jan 2014 - 14.2%
    Jan 2014 - 14.8%
    Feb 2014 - 14.8%
    Feb 2014 - 14.7%
    Feb 2014 - 15.1%
    Feb 2014 - 13.6%
    Feb 2014 - 14.0%
    Mar 2014 - 14.0%
    Mar 2014 - 14.3%
    Mar 2014 - 14.3%
    Mar 2014 - 13.6%
    Mar 2014 - 12.9%

Malcolm, I don't give a toss if we are ahead in May or not. Frankly, the later Yes go ahead the better. As long as they are panicking at 10 pm on the evening of 18 September I will be happy.
    I've been panicking for a year - I'd agree that the later the No side panic the better for your lot, as less time for them to try and change tack and shift the momentum.

Out of interest, why have you been panicking for a year? A year ago things were looking pretty rosy for Alastair Darling's prospects.

- "... as less time for them to try and change tack and shift the momentum."

Darling is constantly telling the BT campaign that complacency is their biggest enemy, but for some reason lots of Unionists ignore him. Not least the usual suspects here at PB. Maybe it is just not possible for a Labour politician to lead a team comprised of Lab+Con+LD ?
  • Options
    - "Alexander is probably more vulnerable in his constituency than Cable and the bigger his public profile the better."

Alexander is 1/2 FAV in Inverness. Has anyone seen any prices for Twickenham yet?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Good afternoon, everyone.

I concur with the thread's premise, but must admit that it's partly because I dislike Cable.

Edited extra bit: on an unrelated note, I'm rather enjoying Diplomacy, even if I am making newcomer errors.

Mr. D., The most common error that new players make is to think they are playing some sort of chess and not Diplomacy. The clue is in the name. If you are nor diploming like mad, that is negotiating, making deals, exchanging information, spreading gossip (and a, very, few well chosen lies) with everyone, even your apparent enemies, every turn (especially in the early years of a game), then you are not playing optimally. The joy of the game is that no player can win without help but everyone wants to win.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Indeed, Mr. Llama. Although, isn't a draw possible?

That aside, it does seem to be a case of trying to co-operate for the minimum time possible. I was mildly amused that the Austrians treacherously attacked me at the exact same time I treacherously attacked them.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    edited March 2014
    Congrats on the 10th anniversary. I've been lurking since 2005, with the occasional post in the later years.

A decision on Alexander v Cable should only be taken after the Scots' referendum.

I would prefer Alexander with Cable taking a back seat elder statesman role.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I agree, no decision until the referendum is in. Even with an Independent win I would want someone other than Cable. He has been a waste of space at business, disloyal and is well past his utility to the party. Pension him off.

I too am enjoying Diplomacy, it works better on line than face to face, when you can see who is conferring with whom. Declaring a tie is against the spirit of the game though.

Congrats on the 10th anniversary. I've been lurking since 2005, with the occasional post in the later years.

A decision on Alexander v Cable should only be taken after the Scots' referendum.

I would prefer Alexander with Cable taking a back seat elder statesman role.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    The 'sage of Twickenham' has taken a hammering in the CoE ratings (today's YouGov):

Best CoE (vs Mar 10)
    Osborne: 29 (+15)
    Balls: 14 (-6 vs Darling)
    Cable: 13 (-11)
  • Options
    The best way that the Lib Dems are clear and distinct from the Tories is to have as Shadow Chancellor the man who has been directly associated with every single Tory economic policy and is widely seen as part of Oik's inner circle.

No, not best way, what's that other word. Worst, yes, worst way. Not that it matters to the Lib Dems electoral chances.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    It is neither achievable or wise to try to disassociate from coalition policies when the LibDems are in power. It is simply not plausible to campaign agaist everything your party leaders have done in government, better to take (rightful) credit for the good bits. The pension changes were the work of the LibDem Pensions minister and Alexander was behind the increase in the personal allowance. The economy is getting better and best not leave it to Osborne to take the credit.

The best way that the Lib Dems are clear and distinct from the Tories is to have as Shadow Chancellor the man who has been directly associated with every single Tory economic policy and is widely seen as part of Oik's inner circle.

No, not best way, what's that other word. Worst, yes, worst way. Not that it matters to the Lib Dems electoral chances.

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited March 2014
    I agree with Mike on all his points asserting Danny over Vince.

But one counter argument is being missed. Cable is still, and has always been, a very accomplished communicator, especially when addressing a non-political audience. He has a good lecturer's ability to simplify and explain clearly. His style is professorial rather than partisan.

So in tv interviews and, say, on a QT type panel he will reach further than Danny.

But in a debate with George, then I would choose Danny for the reasons Mike has stated.
  • Options
    Vince Cable is the Lib Dem's only statesman, with economics arguably his strongest brief, while Danny Alexander is an over promoted light weight. A weird suggestion Mike - I still can't really work out how you have to come to this conclusion.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Vince Cable is the Lib Dem's only statesman, with economics arguably his strongest brief, while Danny Alexander is an over promoted light weight. A weird suggestion Mike - I still can't really work out how you have to come to this conclusion.

Good afternoon, Lord Oakshott
  • Options
    There is also an age factor with Cable. Recently when in the spotlight, he looks and sounds old. Will he have the energy and agility to cope with debates and 16 hour days of campaigning when he is almost 72 at the GE?
  • Options

What has Cable achieved as Business Secretary?
  • Options

What has Cable achieved as Business Secretary?
    Higher tuition fees.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    edited March 2014
    On the European Parliament elections, i'm starting to regret not taking Mike's 10/1 on the Tories getting most votes. I can't see Labour's vote going up much at all
  • Options
    Charles said:

As per the previous thread, his real name is just plain old Matthew Oakeshott. He changed his first name to "Lord" at 13 to avoid bullying.
  • Options
    Millsy said:

On the European Parliament elections, i'm starting to regret not taking Mike's 10/1 on the Tories getting most votes. I can't see Labour's vote going up much at all

The best odds currently available are 6/1 from Corals. Labour are best-priced at 11/10 with Hills.

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    I wonder if Mr Cable's enthusiasm for mansion taxes might affect his nice majority in Twickenham. Nothing like clobbering your own constituents!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Danny Alexander doesn't look the part, Vince Cable does.

Much depends on which voters you're trying to woo. Danny Alexander will woo soft Tories better, Vince Cable will woo defectors to Labour better.

I'd go with Vince Cable.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    GeoffM said:

Charles said:

As per the previous thread, his real name is just plain old Matthew Oakeshott. He changed his first name to "Lord" at 13 to avoid bullying.
    O/T the old yomper from Dorset, was 'coldstone'.
  • Options

There is also an age factor with Cable. Recently when in the spotlight, he looks and sounds old. Will he have the energy and agility to cope with debates and 16 hour days of campaigning when he is almost 72 at the GE?

Probably not. Assuming he retains his seat he is surely now too old to become leader himself, but I guess he wants to influence the party's choice to succeed Clegg next year.

• Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Labour shortlist for St Helens South

June Hitchen (Manchester Cllr)
    Catherine McDonald (Southwark Cllr, former SpAd, born in St Helens)
    Marie Rimmer (former local council leader)
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    Conservative-LD and vice versa attack lines on the economy are quite complex to envisage. There'll be points about particular policies - the personal allowance, marriage tax break - but beyond that, there's a risk you do too much damage and it becomes easier simply attack Labour. I think the choice of candidate is dependent on how the attack lines play out.
  • Options
    Cable probably also wants to ensure, as far as he is able, that next time the LibDems get into bed with Labour and not with the Tories.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

Charles said:

O/T the old yomper from Dorset, was 'coldstone'.
    Ah, yes! I remember him being referred to frequently by opponents as "coldsore" so maybe ye olden days weren't the sunlit uplands of utter politeness that we fondly recall.

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Is it not likely that later this year Vince will announce his retirement from the Commons? He will be 72 next year at the time of the GE.
  • Options

Seventy two.

Danny la Rue!

That'll confuse them.

• Options

Cable probably also wants to ensure, as far as he is able, that next time the LibDems get into bed with Labour and not with the Tories.

I can never understand why he doesn't simply rejoin the Labour Party.
  • Options

Is it not likely that later this year Vince will announce his retirement from the Commons? He will be 72 next year at the time of the GE.

Cable gives the impression of loving political life and were he minded to retire at the next GE I think we would have heard by now.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    A very fine tribute from @Morus on the last thread on PB's 10th anniversary, to which I'll only add that, god willing, should the site still be running when I finally peg out then you'll all be in for a mighty big surprise !!

Chortle ....
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Why are these morons given the oxygen of publicity?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26697322
  • Options
    JackW said:

A very fine tribute from @Morus on the last thread on PB's 10th anniversary, to which I'll only add that, god willing, should the site still be running when I finally peg out then you'll all be in for a mighty big surprise !!

Chortle ....

Free drinks, or the revelation that you were born a lady?
  • Options
    CopperSulphateCopperSulphate Posts: 1,119
    Lib Dems should play the longer game. If as expected Labour get in and make an absolute mess of the economy, then seeming closer to the Tories on economic matters will make them seem far more competent than their main rivals for left wing votes.

Labour genuinely believe that government spending is the economy and that to reduce the deficit you've got to spend ever increasing amounts (despite all the evidence). A left wing party that could actually add up would gradually displace Labour as the main left-wing party.

Part of me thinks that the Lib Dems don't actually want power and would rather promise all things to all men from the sidelines instead.
  • Options
    Surprisingly, Baxter currently gives Cable only a 55% chance of retaining Twickenham. Personally I'd have him as a nailed-on certainty.
  • Options
    One other factor in the Cable/Alexander choice is that there need not have to be one.

Should as I expect the Coalition runs its course until election day then ministers will stay in place even though they are no longer MP's. Accordingly either Cable or Alexander may tackle the economics brief as required retaining maximum flexibility during the campaign.

An unusual situation to be sure but it throws up one of the quirks of Coalition government.
  • Options
    Scottish referendum: could they make this any easier for the Nats?
    At last year's SNP conference, a former senior party adviser told me: "If we are to attain our goal next September, then the numbers really ought to be changing in our favour round about March and April."

That the SNP now have the wind at their back as they turn towards the home straight is no real surprise following a lacklustre campaign by Better Together, lacking either imagination or enthusiasm. This, too, was easily predicted. How do you galvanise Labour activists into showing enthusiasm for the red, white and blue and a union dominated by a party whose road map out of recession rests on hammering the poor and mollycoddling the rich?

... Perhaps this is why Jim Murphy and Gordon Brown were brought in last week. Little has been seen or heard of Murphy previously during this campaign and absolutely nothing of Brown. So lamentable was the performance of each, though, that it seems probable we will not hear much from either again.

... The two areas in this campaign where the yes campaign enjoys a huge advantage are in funding and number of activists. If the yes vote can encroach to within five points of no without the nationalists having yet to deploy fully their two most potent weapons then the future for the union looks bleak indeed.
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/23/scottish-referendum-nats-independence
  • Options
    JackW said:

Chortle ....

Just how old are you now Jack? Am I correct in thinking you celebrated your 108th in January?

• Options

JackW said:

Chortle ....

As a Scot one of those two options is decidedly unlikely says JackW in a gruff deep voice.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,140
    Cable is blessed with the ability to sell 20:20 hindsight as 20:20 foresight.

Alexander is blessed with the ability to help haul the economy out of the shit.

Set against that, only Vince has the nuclear option.

Or maybe that was a typo for unclear.

• Options
    Charles said:

Opinion polls show Vince is still more popular than his Party. One way for the Lib Dems to not differentiate from the Conservatives on economic policy would be to put up their Minister most associated with Osbournomics, rather than the one most widely respected on the economy
  • Options

Perhaps his Cabinet Ministerial salary and all the perks which come with high office have something to do with it.

• Options

JackW said:

Chortle ....

Just how old are you now Jack? Am I correct in thinking you celebrated your 108th in January?

A lady never gives away her age says JackW in a gruff deep voice.

Oooppps ....

• Options

Cable is blessed with the ability to sell 20:20 hindsight as 20:20 foresight.

Alexander is blessed with the ability to help haul the economy out of the shit.

Set against that, only Vince has the nuclear option.

Or maybe that was a typo for unclear.

Good to see you in such surprisingly fine fettle today MM.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,999
    GeoffM said:

Is there such a thing as "Shadow Chancellor" for a party 4th in the polls? Do the Greens get one?

I believe it used to be only the main opposition party got to call its spokespeople Shadow Chancellor or Shadon Foreign Secretary and the like, and the others merely had, well, economic spokespeople and so on. The LDs started calling their front bench people Shadow whatever, so now everyone can I guess. As the LDs, even if severely depleted come 2015, actually have a theoretical chance that their people could have Cabinet level jobs in any coalition, there is some justification for doing so.

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

Since Mr Dickson has taken to posting stories I posted on the previous thread:

FPT:

4:45AM edited 4:50AM
    Details of the SIndy poll:

As I observed yesterday (and have many times in the past), it really is all down to Labour in Scotland. God help us.....
    Thi
    Ty.
    I've been panicking for a year - I'd agree that the later the No side panic the better for your lot, as less time for them to try and change tack and shift the momentum.
    Out of interest, why have you been panicking for a year? A year ago things were looking pretty rosy for Alastair Darling's prospects.

- "... as less time for them to try and change tack and shift the momentum."

Darling is constantly telling the BT campaign that complacency is their biggest enemy, but for some reason lots of Unionists ignore him. Not least the usual suspects here at PB. Maybe it is just not possible for a Labour politician to lead a team comprised of Lab+Con+LD ?
    I've been panicking because I'm pessimistic. As much as I support the union I felt the Better Together side were too negative and not taking into account that the Yes side have the most passionate supporters, relentless drive, and the most effective leaders, so it always felt to me that as things approached the decision we would see crossover in their favour as a more positive message, even if absurd, would be more attractive.
  • Options

Why are these morons given the oxygen of publicity?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26697322

It offers a brief diversion from the regular political game.

• Options

LDs may need to be accommodated in the next govt. He's got a much greater chance of a job as a member of the surviving LDs than hidden amongst hundreds of younger Lab MPs chasing red boxes and a ministerial Jag.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    What has Vince Cable actually achieved in government? Other than regularly stirring the s##t, saying NO to a lot of things and selling hindsight as vision for the future?

I can't think of a single thing he has introduced? An idea that has he pushed through that has radically reformed / improved anything.

The answer is, once this parliament is over, he wont remember for achieving anything, even among politics geeks.

On the other hand, Alexander has consistently been seen as the steady hand on the controls and I think should get a decent amount of credit for a number of government measures, especially if the economy does get back on a firm footing.

Same as Steve Webb, who has been responsible for a lot of the work on overhauling the pension system.

Sure you can argue that Alexander is an position where he can directly impact a lot more decision making, but has Cable has basically nothing to show.

• Options

So long as he's still up for a fight, no reason to stand down at 72. If people can find the energy to be an oppresive dictator in their 80s, I'm sure Cable can handle being an MP at 72.
  • Options

Charles said:

Opinion polls show Vince is still more popular than his Party. One way for the Lib Dems to not differentiate from the Conservatives on economic policy would be to put up their Minister most associated with Osbournomics, rather than the one most widely respected on the economy
    Alexander has earned respect by delivering the goods on the economy, in particular, through his very tight control of the public finances.

Why would the Lib Dems want to renounce the unqualified success achieved by Osborne and Alexander in favour of discredited Krugmanite stimulus economics advocated by Cable?
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    FPT

@Avery on Ukraine

Agree with all that apart from

"But you are right about both the West's response and Putin's immediate intentions. There will now be a tense and uneasy stand off allowing the bear a short slumber. But the risks of it awaking are clear to all."

Not sure it's clear to all (unless they want a war).
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Cable is a bit passé. Yesterday's man. The man that saw the last crash but was wrong on how to fix it. The socialist in a world that can't afford socialism.

And he is old.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

That is because your knowledge of politics is around zero
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,140

Good to see you in such surprisingly fine fettle today MM.

Quite chipper. Your lot spared us the ignominy of falling to get through the play-off again!

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,374
    Is it certain old uncle Vince is even going to stand again? I caught a bit of his reply to that failed stand up comedian Balls in day 2 of the budget "debate" (I use the word loosely). He was quite good in the manner Avery touches on below. He took interventions in a fairly non partisan way, acknowledged good points and generally sounded reasonably coherent.

But he also sounded and looked very, very old. I think he has found the rigours of cabinet government quite hard at his age and he has no doubt found some of the compromising hard as well.

I am trying not to be too biased by the fact I always thought Vince was seriously over rated but I think his time has gone. Alexander would be much better. In fact I really wish he was a tory. He would easily have fitted into the pre Thatcher one nation tories as a wet. It is sad they have moved so far from such a position.
  • Options

I think a lightweight would have tripped up and been hounded from his position at some point before 4 years after he was promoted. As it is, if he has made any major mistakes they haven't stuck around in my memory, and he comes across as capable if not exactly dynamic. Not bad for someone who wasn't even the first pick for the job.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    *Diplomacy Post*

Morris Dancer in the previous thread asked if draws were available in Diplomacy and of course they are, normally. Not in a Death Match though. The PB Diplomacy Death Match is now open for contestants (go to PlayDiplomacy.com and under "join Game" search for "Death Match" an you will find it - the password is "cats&kittens").

Be warned though this is intended to be a no holds barred, knock em down and drag em out, no quarter asked or given fight to the death - or victory. There can only be one victor, alliance victories and draws are not permitted . Do you have the mix of cunning, skill and the ability to suck up to people you intend to destroy? Well now is your chance to prove it and win the PB Knife in the Back Trophy.

P.S. Due to the lunacies of Windows 8 Email system I have lost the details of those that has previously expressed an interest in this project. Sorry.

P.P.S. The capacity for insider knowledge and fixing of results in this game is going to be enormous, betting on it is not for the feint-hearted.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

That is because your knowledge of politics is around zero
    Oops, clearly touched a nerve there.

Is it something to do with Barcharts?
  • Options
    Surprisingly, Baxter currently gives Cable only a 55% chance of retaining Twickenham. Personally I'd have him as a nailed-on certainty.

Quite, but I'd also have a sharply reduced majority as a nailed on certainty.

Same goes for Ed Davey in Kingston and Surbiton. Retain, but with a bloody nose.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Quite, but I'd also have a sharply reduced majority as a nailed on certainty.

Same goes for Ed Davey in Kingston and Surbiton. Retain, but with a bloody nose.

Clegg?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    MrJones said:

FPT

@Avery on Ukraine

"But you are right about both the West's response and Putin's immediate intentions. There will now be a tense and uneasy stand off allowing the bear a short slumber. But the risks of it awaking are clear to all."

I think Nick was arguing that the West is only pretending to oppose Putin and Putin is only pretending he is about to invade Eastern Ukraine.

I agreed that was probably correct provided there was no attempt by either side to secure a major advantage in the interim.

What we'll probably see is localised internal conflict with minor incursions from Russia; statements from Kiev that its territory has been violated; more promises of EU resolve and support for the Ukraine; and two more apparatchiks added to the US naughty step each time it happens.

The bear won't be disturbed from its sleep while all this goes on.
  • Options
    Clegg?

I don;t know Sheffield at all I'm afraid, but if I was to hazard a guess I'd say same sort of thing. Hold with reduced majority.

If one of the three was vulnerable I would say maybe Davey, but I think they will all get through.
  • Options

FWIW Baxter of Electoral Calculus gives Danny Alexander only a 23% chance of retaining his Inverness seat - I just wish the betting odds reflected him having an equally slim chance (in fact Ladbrokes give him a 67% chance) so that I could lump onto him winning.

• Options
    FPT Populous tribes thing

AB & public sector C1:
    cosmopolitan critics, comfortable nostalgia, optimistic contentment

C2 & private sector C1:
    calm persistence

DE:
    hard pressed anxiety & long-term despair
  • Options
    Cable is a big plus for the LibDems partly because of his age and experience. Voters like a calm emollient approach from an individual who doesn't frighten the horses especially in relation to economic affairs.

Cable has the air of a traditional bank manager of old. Someone who you would trust with your money and most unlikely to swan off and blow it all on a Lamborghini.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    Villa have gone from 1-0 to 1-3. Can they turn it around?

I've got 24.0 on Villa to win.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    @kle4
    "I've been panicking because I'm pessimistic. As much as I support the union I felt the Better Together side were too negative and not taking into account that the Yes side have the most passionate supporters, relentless drive, and the most effective leaders, so it always felt to me that as things approached the decision we would see crossover in their favour as a more positive message, even if absurd, would be more attractive."
    Perhaps if more Unionists were pessimists like yourself then you might be doing better in the polls.

The almost total complacency of the anti-independence campaign has lead to you lot focussing far too much on core supporters, instead of reaching out to the persuadable waverers in the middle, ie. the people who will decide the actual outcome.

Yes Scotland speaks to these people constantly. In fact, we almost totally ignore our core supporters, as they will vote Yes anyway, come hell or high water.

I'm astonished that BT have been allowed to be so blatantly incompetent. Have none of the bright sparks in the Unionist camp noticed how useless they are? Nobody ever wins an election by appealing to their core vote.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,374
    Having Alexander take part in the debates of the Shadow Chancellors would be Ball's worst nightmare. He would talk in detail about specific numbers rather than Vince's rather more airy approach giving no room to hide.

He is completely signed up to the need to reduce the deficit as set out in the red book but he is not in agreement as to how. So we would have someone on top of the numbers agreeing the deficit reductions were essential and making it clear that this is going to require increased taxes on the better off. Not to increase or improve spending but to keep what we have and simply moderate the level of cuts required, especially on the poor.

So Balls would have some horrendous choices. He either admits that there is no money (without chunky tax increases) to reverse any existing cuts or planned future cuts and gets crucified on every unfunded promise they make in new services or benefits or has to seek to outbid the Lib Dems in the taxes they would increase. I am sure that is not the game plan at all.

Osborne would net get off Scot free either but he has a philosophical and economic position that there comes a point when increased taxes are counter productive and simply reduce the size of the cake. It looks as if he will have the numbers to back that up on the 45p rate (although you can argue about that all day long). Balls is missing such a philosophy or coherent position: he just wants to make it up.
  • Options
    ''Someone who you would trust with your money and most unlikely to swan off and blow it all on a Lamborghini.''

Is that the same trusty old bank manager who would happily boot some old dear out of the family home she's had for decades in Twickenham because she can't pay the mansion tax?

The tories should be attacking big liberal beasts like Cable and Davey hard in 2015. Their records in government are high profile and well known. Are they really that popular in leafy south west London constituencies?

• Options
    Scottish Labour's income tax confusion leaves relaunch dented
    Whether Scottish Labour's mis-step on devolving income tax was a muddle or an implosion, its opponents have a ready-made weapon to attack its relaunch
    So if Scottish Labour want Holyrood to control 15p in the £ on income tax, where would a 10p starting rate leave the new tax-collecting agency Revenue Scotland? Wouldn't it be starting out with a -5p deficit for all tax payers on the starting rate?

Consternation. As another reporter was initially told the 10p rate would be set by Westminster, Scottish Labour regrouped and after several hours came back to report that no, it would be under Holyrood's control, and if that new rate was introduced, its negative impact would be absorbed within the overall tax take.

... as the referendum battle intensifies over coming weeks and months, we can expect Salmond, Nicola Sturgeon, the deputy first minister and John Swinney, the Scottish finance minister, to continue punching at the bruise with some glee.

After all, they believe Lamont looked decidedly uncomfortable and out of her depth on tax, and the complications of housing benefits' merger with universal credit under the Tories, in a Newsnight Scotland interview last week.

... So a prudent Labour leader would be planning on how to rescue the party from several months of pain, before the punches rain down.
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/scottish-independence-blog/2014/mar/23/scottish-independence-labour-incometax
  • Options
    Danny Alexander's only credible opposition in Inverness is surely the SNP whom Baxter rate as favourite with a 43% chance of winning.
    This compares with Ladbrokes' current odds of 4/1, implying that the SNP have only a 20% chance.
    PfP taps his nose ...... this price looks way too big, but DYOR!
  • Options
    stjohn said:

Villa have gone from 1-0 to 1-3. Can they turn it around?

I've got 24.0 on Villa to win.

Good luck St. Jude!

• Options
    taffys said:

''Someone who you would trust with your money and most unlikely to swan off and blow it all on a Lamborghini.''

Is that the same trusty old bank manager who would happily boot some old dear out of the family home she's had for decades in Twickenham because she can't pay the mansion tax?

The tories should be attacking big liberal beasts like Cable and Davey hard in 2015. Their records in government are high profile and well known. Are they really that popular in leafy south west London constituencies?

If "we're all in it together" as we should be, then the Coalition need to apply the ten bedroom tax (Mansion Tax) with the same vigour as the spare room subsidy (Bedroom Tax) .... or neither. It should be neither.

But if it is applied then what's good for the Bolsover goose is good for the Twickenham gander.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Chortle ....

As a Scot one of those two options is decidedly unlikely says JackW in a gruff deep voice.

Free drinks it is then
  • Options
    Perhaps one of the reasons there is less engagement with politics these days is we don't have 15 million viewers tuning in to watch programs like Spitting Image every week?

BBC Documentary is worth watching for those of us old enough to remember - and probably an eye-opener for those not:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03yg3yn/arena-whatever-happened-to-spitting-image
  • Options

@kle4

"I've been panicking because I'm pessimistic. As much as I support the union I felt the Better Together side were too negative and not taking into account that the Yes side have the most passionate supporters, relentless drive, and the most effective leaders, so it always felt to me that as things approached the decision we would see crossover in their favour as a more positive message, even if absurd, would be more attractive."
    Perhaps if more Unionists were pessimists like yourself then you might be doing better in the polls.

The almost total complacency of the anti-independence campaign has lead to you lot focussing far too much on core supporters, instead of reaching out to the persuadable waverers in the middle, ie. the people who will decide the actual outcome.

Yes Scotland speaks to these people constantly. In fact, we almost totally ignore our core supporters, as they will vote Yes anyway, come hell or high water.

I'm astonished that BT have been allowed to be so blatantly incompetent. Have none of the bright sparks in the Unionist camp noticed how useless they are? Nobody ever wins an election by appealing to their core vote.

Bright sparks and unionists are mutually exclusive. It is arrogance and stupidity that will be their downfall.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    JackW said:

taffys said:

If "we're all in it together" as we should be, then the Coalition need to apply the ten bedroom tax (Mansion Tax) with the same vigour as the spare room subsidy (Bedroom Tax) .... or neither. It should be neither.

But if it is applied then what's good for the Bolsover goose is good for the Twickenham gander.

No subsidy, no mansion tax?
  • Options
    Its made it into the Guardian!

Just what we needed!

Oh well, its not like the two Eds have anything else to panic about......

• Options
    edited March 2014
    malcolmg said:

@kle4

Bright sparks and unionists are mutually exclusive. It is arrogance and stupidity that will be their downfall.Well thank you for that insult. As a unionist who thinks the SNP will win, apparently I must be wrong because as a unionist I am so stupid? Perhaps you meant bright sparks and those who think No will win are mutually exclusive?

• Options
    malcolmg said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Chortle ....

Free drinks it is then
    As I'm banned from PB libatory events it may be that it is unlikely I'll avail PBers of drinkies in this world from the next !!

• Options
    AveryLP said:

MrJones said:

FPT

@Avery on Ukraine

I think Nick was arguing that the West is only pretending to oppose Putin and Putin is only pretending he is about to invade Eastern Ukraine.

I agreed that was probably correct provided there was no attempt by either side to secure a major advantage in the interim.

What we'll probably see is localised internal conflict with minor incursions from Russia; statements from Kiev that its territory has been violated; more promises of EU resolve and support for the Ukraine; and two more apparatchiks added to the US naughty step each time it happens.

The bear won't be disturbed from its sleep while all this goes on.
    Well you seem to know about this area so I'll take your word for that. Personally I don't see how the Russians could take anything from the coup in Kiev other than the US are going to continue their color revolutions region by region in an attempt to dismantle the Russian Fed - so basically a declaration of war.

Three times is enemy action and all that.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

@kle4

Bright sparks and unionists are mutually exclusive. It is arrogance and stupidity that will be their downfall.
    Well thank you for that insult. As a unionist who thinks the SNP will win, apparently I must be wrong because as a unionist I am so stupid? Perhaps you meant bright sparks and those who think No will win?

kle4, don't be so sensitivie I was talking about the unionist campaigns and the donkeys that are running them. However it does amaze me that intelligent people are happy to put these people into positions of power.
  • Options

JackW said:

taffys said:

No subsidy, no mansion tax?
    Both policies are flawed and lack merit.

• Options
    JackW said:

malcolmg said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Chortle ....

Free drinks it is then
    As I'm banned from PB libatory events it may be that it is unlikely I'll avail PBers of drinkies in this world from the next !!

cheque or cash will do nicely, you could deposit it with Mike in anticipation.
  • Options

Charles said:

Welcome to PB!

And I think you'll find Vince's 'best Chancellor' rating has pretty much halved (24>13) since the last GE.

I agree with OGH, a pleasant departure from the norm on the site's tenth birthday!

• Options
    malcolmg said:

@kle4

Bright sparks and unionists are mutually exclusive. It is arrogance and stupidity that will be their downfall.While modesty and sagacity are the hallmarks of the Nats.....along with impeccable manners and free-flowing compliments.....

• Options
    malcolmg said:

JackW said:

malcolmg said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Chortle ....

Free drinks it is then

cheque or cash will do nicely, you could deposit it with Mike in anticipation.
    As a tribute to you I'll action that request in the new post independence Scottish currency ....

Oooppps ....

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,989
    First the yellows need to differentiate themselves from the blues and having Alexander,George's dogsbody for four years ;)

Fixed it for you.

Having Alexander out there will reinforce Lab -LD switchers whereas Cable could get the soft left back onside.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

@kle4

Well thank you for that insult. As a unionist who thinks the SNP will win, apparently I must be wrong because as a unionist I am so stupid? Perhaps you meant bright sparks and those who think No will win?

kle4, don't be so sensitivie I was talking about the unionist campaigns and the donkeys that are running them. However it does amaze me that intelligent people are happy to put these people into positions of power.
    I'm not sensitive - I just think the remark needed clarifying due to its unintended implications, and I did think it unintended. You would surely not deny the Yes side would not get their backs up in the face of such a generalization, given they are the subject of them all the time.
This discussion has been closed.