Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Politicalbetting.com: Ten years old today and still going s

SystemSystem Posts: 11,704
edited March 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Politicalbetting.com: Ten years old today and still going strong

It began simply because I like talking about and making forecasts on electoral outcomes and I wanted a platform where I can could engage with like minded people. My son, Robert, was the catalyst and he’s played a huge part over the past decade handling the technical site from small beginnings. He suggested that I set up a blog and so we did.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    First!

And Congratulations OGH & Robert!
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Happy Birthday pb.com!
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Happy anniversary, Mike!

This is a great site, something to be very proud of. I hope it gives you a decent income as well.

You're certainly doing a good job slowly educating people who should know better (e.g. old media types) about politics, betting and polling.

I can't remember when I first popped in, well in advance of the 2010 election in any event.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Maybe this goes without saying but these Sunday Times/YouGov numbers are the best for the Tories (and for Cameron "doing well") since before the 2012 budget.

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/i9eok6bjvw/YG-Archive-Pol-Sunday-Times-results-140321.pdf
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 910
    Happy Birthday PoliticalBetting.com A great site - thanks for all your hard work Mike.
  • Options
    Millsy said:

Maybe this goes without saying but these Sunday Times/YouGov numbers are the best for the Tories (and for Cameron "doing well") since before the 2012 budget.

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/i9eok6bjvw/YG-Archive-Pol-Sunday-Times-results-140321.pdf

And Osborne - net "well" (vs 4/13): -6 (+27)
  • Options
    While Osborne is up, others are down (YouGov):

Best COE (vs 3/2010)

Osborne: 29 (+15)
    Balls: 14 (-6 vs Darling)
    Cable: 13 (-9)
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    Happy anniversary. I think I found PB in 2005 and although I've been far from regular, I've never been able to stay away for long. Feels funny to be fighting re-election to my council seat in 2 months time when it's very possible I'd never have got involved without this site.

Hope Mike and team are still finding it as rewarding and fulfilling as ever, and that JackW is still going strong for the 20th.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,062
    Happy anniversary. Among the first sites I look at daily. All sorts of informed comment, and not just on politics. Here’s to another ten years!
  • Options
    Here's an interesting snippet from YouGov. Among those with a household income of less than £25k (32% of the sample):

VI Lab lead 13%
    Govt approval -32

Doing well:
    Osbo -18
    Cam -19
    Mili -25
    Clegg -46

Best chancellor?
    Osbo 24
    Balls 16
    Cable 13

---

Just highlights Tory brand problem?
  • Options
    Who do you trust to make the right decisions regarding the economy (vs 3/2013)

Con/LD coalition: 35 (+3)
    Lab: 22 (-6)

So a 4 point verge of MOE gap has opened up to a 13 point lead.....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Happy anniversary. Among the first sites I look at daily. All sorts of informed comment, and not just on politics. Here’s to another ten years!

Yep, I enjoy coming here for discussion of breaking events too. I am not sure when I first found PB, but I think it was in 2005. Have no idea how I stumbled upon the place though!
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,973
    A very good piece. As I've been saying on here for a while the solution to Spain's Catalonia problem is to give the Catalans what the Basques already have. But for that to happen it needs a change of government in Madrid. That should happen next year.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,062
    There’s a quiz on the BBC site ” What political tribe are you”http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26689333:
    I came out as a 6. Cosmopolitan Critics: "Generally younger, more secular and urban-based, worried about growing inequality & the general direction the country is going in.”

At 75, I like the “younger”!
  • Options
    LurkioLurkio Posts: 2
    Hi Mike - Coming out from under my stone to say congratulations & all the best. (Back to lurking now)
  • Options
    Congratulations and thank-you Mike. I've been posting since 2008. I've learned a lot and had some great conversations. I've also lost my rag on occasions and have made a complete tit of myself from time to time. It's been a lot of fun. I can't see you retiring just yet - not with the entire UK constitutional settlement about to change so radically, whatever Scotland decides in September.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Ditto. I surfed in about the same time, though lurked for a long while before posting. I think I surfed in from Crammers blog.

PB is a great site to be on with my AM cup oftea, and also when insomniac.

It is the most civilized (despite occasional lapse) and intelligent interparty blog in existence. Well worth the effort. I am happy to contribute financially from time to time for such a pleasure.

Congratulations and thank-you Mike. I've been posting since 2008. I've learned a lot and had some great conversations. I've also lost my rag on occasions and have made a complete tit of myself from time to time. It's been a lot of fun. I can't see you retiring just yet - not with the entire UK constitutional settlement about to change so radically, whatever Scotland decides in September.

• Options
    What plans for the next 10 years, Mike?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    It's the next few years you have to worry about Mike ....

PB as a spotty acne ridden teenager, full of angst, raging hormones and no respect .... wailing "it's so unfair !!"

All to come ....

Perhaps some of the old contemptibles from 10 years back will show a leg once more as it's a celebration Sunday.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited March 2014
    - "Quite a few of the 2004 class of PBers are still with us – Sean Fear, Innocent Abroad, Nick Palmer, JackW (whoever he is) to name but a few. "

Well, I started posting way back in the first few months. I'm pretty sure I was posting long before Jack W appeared. PB and UKPR were a breath of fresh air in the political blogging world, which was really starting to take off at that point.

PB is I'm afraid a shadow of its former self. Most of the serious punters, who were the heart and soul of the site, have abandoned it long ago. They have been replaced by party staffers who are quite obviously churning out re-drafted press material, and who have access to the party rebuttal databases.

Add in some of the absolutely horrific moderating decisions over the years, and the culture of bullying which has been positively encouraged, and PB is more an agent of harm than good.

I just cannot see it lasting another 10 years, so enjoy it while it lasts.

More posters like Andrea, Edmund in Tokyo and J**** K**** please, and fewer like Mark Senior, Fitalass and Jack W.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

Happy anniversary. I think I found PB in 2005 and although I've been far from regular, I've never been able to stay away for long. Feels funny to be fighting re-election to my council seat in 2 months time when it's very possible I'd never have got involved without this site.

Hope Mike and team are still finding it as rewarding and fulfilling as ever, and that JackW is still going strong for the 20th.

Thank you @tpfkar

I'm going to give it a damn good try or die in the process !!

Hhmmmm ....

• Options
    GazGaz Posts: 45
    Congrats Mike. I used to post regularly... But it got me into trouble... Don't think I was an original 2004er though.

Now I just lurk.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,072
    Happy birthday to PB, and thanks to everyone who works behind the scenes.

PB is really the best political discussion site on the web, and I'm thankful that non-bettors are welcome to discuss HS2 in boring details squirrelsthe latest political events.
  • Options
    - "... Spain’s current government is ideologically opposed to granting any more freedom to Catalonia than it currently enjoys. Indeed, quite the contrary. In its drive to further centralise and consolidate power in Madrid, it is going in the exact opposite direction, to the increasing fury of not only Catalans but regional politicians throughout the country."

That is Spanish (and British) nationalism in a nutshell: they cut off their noses to spite their faces.
  • Options
    Just when you thought Labour's budget mess couldn't get any worse:

Ed’s in cap flap
    Labour in turmoil over call to axe benefits limit

LABOUR was in turmoil over benefits last night after letting slip plans to give claimants MORE money.
    Welfare spokesman Rachel Reeves said she wanted to reverse changes aimed at saving cash and making work pay.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/5525318/Labour-Party-in-turmoil-over-call-to-axe-benefits-limit.html
  • Options

- "Quite a few of the 2004 class of PBers are still with us – Sean Fear, Innocent Abroad, Nick Palmer, JackW (whoever he is) to name but a few. "

Well, I started posting way back in the first few months. I'm pretty sure I was posting long before Jack W appeared. PB and UKPR were a breath of fresh air in the political blogging world, which was really starting to take off at that point.

PB is I'm afraid a shadow of its former self. Most of the serious punters, who were the heart and soul of the site, have abandoned it long ago. They have been replaced by party staffers who are quite obviously churning out re-drafted press material, and who have access to the party rebuttal databases.

Add in some of the absolutely horrific moderating decisions over the years, and the culture of bullying which has been positively encouraged, and PB is more an agent of harm than good.

More posters like Andrea, Edmund in Tokyo and J**** K**** please, and fewer like Mark Senior, Fitalass and Jack W.

You can't even allow for a celebration of PB not to be an opportunity for you to whine.

Well Stuart, if you find PB so much "an agent of harm" why don't you just bugger off and ask for your refund at the exit.

Tsk ....

• Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    OGH, thank you for ten years of education, information, and entertainment.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
    Happy anniversary, Mike.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB

Another #IndyRef poll, this time from ICM, has YES getting closer
    See pic.twitter.com/d2oikvtyuX

No - 46% - 3 Yes - 39% + 2

Coming together nicely.

Will Con crossover precede Yes crossover? Cause and effect?
    Only will help and may I say from the yes side,thanks ed ;-)
    Thanks Ed. And Ed. And George. And Johann. And Dave. And Anas. And...
  • Options

- "... Spain’s current government is ideologically opposed to granting any more freedom to Catalonia than it currently enjoys. Indeed, quite the contrary. In its drive to further centralise and consolidate power in Madrid, it is going in the exact opposite direction, to the increasing fury of not only Catalans but regional politicians throughout the country."

That is Spanish (and British) nationalism in a nutshell: they cut off their noses to spite their faces.

Spanish nationalism was born out of Francoism and taps into a particularly Spanish form of stubborness which sees compromise as unGodly. You see the same kind of thing among a lot of Catalan nationalists, ironically enough. British nationalism has always struck me as being rather more pragmatic - hence the referendum.

The reason why Devomax could not have been on the ballot in September is that it would involve a decision of everyone in the UK, not just the Scots, whereas independence Yes or No is a Scottish only issue.

• Options

Then why has further power been devolved to Scotland in the 2012 Act that is already on the books?

. A No vote is guaranteed to mean that devolution will change and develop. How do I know this? I know it because it’s already been legislated for, in the Scotland Act 2012. This Act, described at the time of its enactment by the then Secretary of State for Scotland as the largest transfer of fiscal powers within the United Kingdom in its history, will bring to Holyrood a substantial degree of fiscal devolution. These new powers — as long as Scotland votes No to independence — will come fully into force in 2015 and 2016. Now, this is not “jam tomorrow”, as Nationalists sometimes claim: it has already been legislated for.

http://notesfromnorthbritain.wordpress.com

It may not be enough for you, but to assert, as some Nats do, that a "no" will lead to a roll-back of devolution - when more is already on the statute books is to use Malcolm's favourite charge - a "lie".
  • Options

Spanish nationalism was born out of Francoism and taps into a particularly Spanish form of stubborness which sees compromise as unGodly. You see the same kind of thing among a lot of Catalan nationalists, ironically enough. British nationalism has always struck me as being rather more pragmatic - hence the referendum.

The reason why Devomax could not have been on the ballot in September is that it would involve a decision of everyone in the UK, not just the Scots, whereas independence Yes or No is a Scottish only issue.

Thanks Johann!

Labour plan ‘boosts Yes vote’
    Labour's plans to let Holyrood raise taxes for higher earners if Scots vote against independence would drive entrepreneurs away and could persuade supporters of the Union to vote Yes, according to business leaders.
    http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/scotland/article1391336.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2014_03_2

Southam, when is Ed MIliband going to sort out his worse-than-useless North British branch operation?
  • Options

Thanks Johann!

Labour plan ‘boosts Yes vote’
    Labour's plans to let Holyrood raise taxes for higher earners if Scots vote against independence would drive entrepreneurs away and could persuade supporters of the Union to vote Yes, according to business leaders.
    http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/scotland/article1391336.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2014_03_2

Southam, when is Ed MIliband going to sort out his worse-than-useless North British branch operation?

I have no idea. It does strike me as strange, though, that Scottish Labour is not an independent party that is essentially in alliance with Labour in England. But I know little of how Labour functions. It's not a huge interest of mine.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    OKC,

"There’s a quiz on the BBC site ” What political tribe are you”http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26689333: "

I got 'calm persistence' - common in all parties but it explains why I don't trust any.

Well done OGH and Robert for your calm persistence.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Since Mr Dickson has taken to posting stories I posted on the previous thread:

FPT:
    4:45AM edited 4:50AM
    Details of the SIndy poll:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-new-poll-shows-yes-shift-1-3350563

And John Curtice' take on it:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/john-curtice-no-s-doom-and-gloom-misses-target-1-3350579

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2014/03/march-icm-poll-uncovers-worrying-underlying-trends-for-no/

Indeed, more generally the poll confirms the degree to which Labour support is potentially the weak link in the unionist camp; once the Don’t Knows are excluded no less than 34% of those who backed Labour in 2011 say they will vote Yes.

Somehow I doubt Malcolm will be denouncing Curtice as a Unionist stooge and lickspittle today.....
    As I observed yesterday (and have many times in the past), it really is all down to Labour in Scotland. God help us.....
  • Options

Pathetic, and ungracious.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    PB ..The eye of the political storm, where all is serenity, heheh... Well done OGH and team.. Brilliant
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited March 2014
    for NICK PALMER (from prev thread)

You stated on more than one occasion that 37 or was it 38% of the voters had made up their minds and wanted the Coalition out and Labour in. I call that overconfidence... just because the current state of play has been relatively stable, it doesn't mean its going to stay that way, Of course you might be right, but I wouldn't be too confident about if it I were you.
  • Options

FPT:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-new-poll-shows-yes-shift-1-3350563

http://www.scotsman.com/news/john-curtice-no-s-doom-and-gloom-misses-target-1-3350579

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2014/03/march-icm-poll-uncovers-worrying-underlying-trends-for-no/

Indeed, more generally the poll confirms the degree to which Labour support is potentially the weak link in the unionist camp; once the Don’t Knows are excluded no less than 34% of those who backed Labour in 2011 say they will vote Yes.

Somehow I doubt Malcolm will be denouncing Curtice as a Unionist stooge and lickspittle today.....
    As I observed yesterday (and have many times in the past), it really is all down to Labour in Scotland. God help us.....

It's down to the Scots. If they want independence that's what they'll vote for. It looks like we're getting to the point where enough Scottish voters want to separate. If something is coming to an end, it's best to have a clean break. It'll be sad to see the UK go - and, no doubt, traumatic for unionist Scots - but we'll all get over it soon enough, particularly as it will give us the chance to start again from a constitutional perspective.

• Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,236
    Great stuff for pb.c to reach 10 Mike.. I posted a little back in 2005 or so under another name (andyc?), then disappeared and returned last year. People seem more entrenched latterly, and there is clearly more rigid adherence to party spin. The rise of UKIP has added a new dimension, but some of the better liberal posters e.g. Matthew Huntbach, Tabman have moved on. Interestingly, the left has always been outnumbered on the site.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

FPT:

It's down to the Scots. If they want independence that's what they'll vote for. It looks like we're getting to the point where enough Scottish voters want to separate. If something is coming to an end, it's best to have a clean break.
    Agreed - which is why Salmond's horse feathers about "social unions" and "currency unions" is worrying - if Scotland wakes up to "Yes" on the 19th, it will be a very different "Yes" from the one the SNP have sold them.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    Congratulations Mike, also many thanks to Robert for reinstating me after the numerous times I have been barred!

I joined a year or two ago, there isn't much I don't know about punting on football, horses or sport in general but I knew next to nothing about punting on politics. Had a few nice touches as a result of PB, Eastleigh being one, so thanks to the wider audience.

The only thing that I don't like is the tribal politics but that is a reflection of the electorate in general.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Let Mike enjoy his day without making snarky comments, okay?

Congratulations Mike - I'm a relative newbie - first turned up (I think) in about 2009. Took me 6 months to pluck up the courage to post the first time...
  • Options

Great stuff for pb.c to reach 10 Mike.. I posted a little back in 2005 or so under another name (andyc?), then disappeared and returned last year. People seem more entrenched latterly, and there is clearly more rigid adherence to party spin. The rise of UKIP has added a new dimension, but some of the better liberal posters e.g. Matthew Huntbach, Tabman have moved on. Interestingly, the left has always been outnumbered on the site.

@Tabman has popped in very infrequently when the rigours of sublime family domesticity allow.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be ?!? .... Certainly it would be nice to see some of the other old and bold return if only to say hello .... so come on finish breakfast and give PB a high five for old time sake.

• Options
    Congratulations and many thanks, Mike.

The outstanding success of the Site owes much to your tolerance and light control of an occasionally rowdy bunch of which I am pleased to count myself a member.

Well done, and here's to the next ten years.
  • Options
    Yes indeed, many many thanks, Mike (and Robert and everybody else...) Oh, and thanks too for the namecheck.

I don't know of any "horrifying" moderation decisions, Stuart - but then I'm just glad I haven't been roped in as part of the moderation team. I've always said that when we post on this - or indeed any other - site, we are in effect entering someone's drawing room and ought to behave accordingly. (The fact that other people, such as the wretched Paul Staines, don't see comments on a blog in this light doesn't make it any less true IMO.)

Party hacks are of course entitled to try it on here: it is up to the rest of us, if we want to, to call them out - in a civilised manner of course.

Could the site be improved? The only change I can think of is some way of allowing us all to wear our preferred rosette, if we have one.

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Congrats on your 10 year anniversary , Mike , means I have been posting on here for nearly 9 years .
  • Options

FPT:

It's down to the Scots. If they want independence that's what they'll vote for. It looks like we're getting to the point where enough Scottish voters want to separate. If something is coming to an end, it's best to have a clean break.
    Agreed - which is why Salmond's horse feathers about "social unions" and "currency unions" is worrying - if Scotland wakes up to "Yes" on the 19th, it will be a very different "Yes" from the one the SNP have sold them.

Without question. But why would Salmond or the SNP care? They'll have what they want.

• Options
    I fall into the group Optimistic Contentment. It is an interesting classification system.

Some of each are found in each party.

CD13 said:

OKC,

"There’s a quiz on the BBC site ” What political tribe are you”http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26689333: "

I got 'calm persistence' - common in all parties but it explains why I don't trust any.

Well done OGH and Robert for your calm persistence.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Oh dear - too much vinegar on the herrings this morning.
  • Options
    Monksfield [8.11am] the left has always been outnumbered on the site

I think this is true beyond this site. People on the right tend to think that their opinion matters more, have a higher opinion of themselves & so on.
  • Options
    re: the BBC/Populus test

I got Optimistic Contentment:

Confident & comfortable, they are more highly educated, of a higher social grade & have higher incomes than the other groups. They are patient, prudent & tolerant but also think Britain is a soft touch. They believe people can get on if they work hard & that too much is expected from government

Sounds reasonably accurate!
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

You petty little man .
  • Options

FPT:

Without question. But why would Salmond or the SNP care? They'll have what they want.

And curiously the "non-SNP" nationalists are indifferent to that.....
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Charles said:

Confident & comfortable, they are more highly educated, of a higher social grade & have higher incomes than the other groups. They are patient, prudent & tolerant but also think Britain is a soft touch. They believe people can get on if they work hard & that too much is expected from government

ditto but I'm sure that will surprise you :-)
  • Options

Congratulations Mike, also many thanks to Robert for reinstating me after the numerous times I have been barred!

I joined a year or two ago, there isn't much I don't know about punting on football, horses or sport in general but I knew next to nothing about punting on politics. Had a few nice touches as a result of PB, Eastleigh being one, so thanks to the wider audience.

The only thing that I don't like is the tribal politics but that is a reflection of the electorate in general.

All the best PBers have had a red card.

Yes even impoverished Scottish nobles !!

I recall getting my marching orders from Mike during the election campaign of 2005 when I wrote a skit on Iain Dale and his campaign to wrest Norfolk North from Norman Lamb. Twas a trifle risqué but Iain to his credit LOLed and both the article and I were reinstated on appeal.

• Options

FPT:

Hopefully, the Scots would build on their good fortune, ditch the SNP and forge ahead with better and more honest politicians.

I'm in the 'Better Apart' camp; I can see the benefits of being separated. Those who might be left in rUK should have been given a say in Scottish Independence too.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,006
    Good morning, everyone.

Congratulations, Mr. Smithson, on reaching 10 years.

I joined in 2007. I recall because I started viewing many political blogs (this is the only one I still visit often) as I was deeply concerned Brown would call and win a snap election. That would've put me in an uncomfortable position regarding the despicable ID card scheme (either accepting something which is intolerable or breaking the law).

I started writing regular articles for pb2 (more recently on http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/ for reasons of a purely technical nature) about F1 in 2009, around halfway through the season (the second race I ever wrote articles for remains my most profitable). So, there have been F1 articles for almost half of pb's existence (you lucky people).

On the nostalgic notes: there may be something in that, but the best way to either improve the site or return to the 'glory' days is to try and offer more objective analysis, be willing to criticise 'your own' side and to offer tips.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    Real Madrid are good value at 5/4 to beat Barcelona tonight.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Cograts to PB on 10 years
  • Options

Charles said:

ditto but I'm sure that will surprise you :-)
    Not really. I suspect you are less grumpy in real life than you pretend to me on here...
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    Very many congratulations Mike! Long may PB continue.

While I have not posted for a bit - pressure of work and family matters - it remains by far my favourite site. (And thank you also for letting my post a thread header once.)
  • Options
    I am a Cosmopolitan Critic. That sounds about right; though I am not young, I am not single, I don't work in the public sector and I do not live in a big urban centre!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,391
    Congratulations Mike. To keep something like this going for 10 years is an incredible achievement.

Personally I think I have been here about 5 years and on many, many occasions I have turned to PB for better insight on the issues of the day than the MSM does. I particularly remember Edmund's posts about the Japanese tsunami and its aftermath and YOkel's contributions on Libya and more recently Syria.

I have learned a great deal about the mechanics of polling, AV (way more than might have been necessary in that case) and topics such as energy, housing and transport. Some of my own prejudices have been challenged and corrected.

As someone who is not a big gambler this has been a strength of the site for me although people have been moaning about the falling away of "serious punters" ever since I have joined. I started with the belief that following the money might give a better indication as to how things were likely to turn out. I am not sure about that now but the banter and differing viewpoints are always entertaining.
  • Options

Congrats on your 10 year anniversary , Mike , means I have been posting on here for nearly 9 years .

You'll have noted your goodself, @fitalass and I have made the @Stuart_Dickson expulsion list.

It has the makings of a "Free The PB Three" campaign.

Titters ....

• Options

I am a Cosmopolitan Critic. That sounds about right; though I am not young, I am not single, I don't work in the public sector and I do not live in a big urban centre!

Compared to my village your in NYC :-)
  • Options
    Indeed, Mr. L. Y0kel's often been ahead of the plodding mainstream media when it comes to matters from that part of the world.
  • Options

FPT:

They'll have got what they want too. Nationalists want an independent Scotland. Whether most Scots are better off or not as a result is a very secondary issue. But that's nationalism. Look at that article on Catalonia you linked to: Catalan nationalists are prepared to declare independence unilaterally and to fundamentally damage the Catalan economy to get what they want.

• Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Many Happy returns to PB - The only place where you will find Hodges, Loons, Cyber Nats, Fruitcakes, Squirrels, Scottish Tory Surgers and Yellow Boxes all in one place. Quite unique.
  • Options
    As a matter of interest is there any party staffers just spouting the party line, as Stuart claims?

My impression is that those on here who have party positions are all more intelligent and nuanced than that, and all deviate at times from official positions.

I do find the prospect of six more months of Scotnat posting a little depressing, little rays of sunshine that they are.

• Options

Compared to Southam Leamington is NYC, London and Beijing all rolled into one.

As a middle aged Cosmopolitan Critic I feel I should dump the fleece and slippers, grow my hair a bit longer and start going clubbing again. But I just can't be arsed.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    A significant anniversary for a very significant site. Thank you to our host for a brilliant virtual meeting place, and thank you to all those involved in running the site. It must be hard work.
  • Options
    JackW said:

You'll have noted your goodself, @fitalass and I have made the @Stuart_Dickson expulsion list.

It has the makings of a "Free The PB Three" campaign.

Titters ....

Jack set aside the ill-temper of the Neep ( Scottish Swede ) the chap is a little fraught what with the long and dreary campaign his colleagues have unleashed. It simply shows his Scotland is a petty minded midden with no goodwill for those around it. Like so many cybernatties he won't want to live there himself.
  • Options
    I tallied Optimistic Contentment. Neither of those are words I would use to describe myself.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    Well done Mike and Robert and mod team!

As one of the longest-standing contributors, I think it remains an excellent site - one of the fastest ways to pick up political trends, one of the few where people with very different views talk on a mostly amicable basis, and sometimes a good site to pick up tips too, the original intention.

People have always grumbled that it isn't something else. It's not a place where almost anything goes in the way of abuse and hysteria, like Guido. It's not a place where discussion is brief and sober, like UK Polling Report. It's not a place where partisans of a different view to yours are prevented from persistently droning on. It is what it is, and hasn't really changed that much.

My main advice for enjoying it is to pick up the hard news, eye the opinions in a detached way, enjoy the obscure discussions off topic, ignore the posters commenting on other posters, and try not to do it yourself. And if someone's unpleasant about you, just reply politely: most people will side with the more civilised side almost regardless of the issue.

As for Mike's future plans, it's up to him, obviously, but I imagine that deals are available allowing editorial freedom. If Murdoch can do it with the Times, so can others. As an old critic of Ashcroft, for instance, I'd trust him to own the site and let Mike and team be as objective and forensic as he wants to be. Equally, if Mike is happy, it doesn't need fixing and he should just relax and have fun.
  • Options

Compared to Southam Leamington is NYC, London and Beijing all rolled into one.

As a middle aged Cosmopolitan Critic I feel I should dump the fleece and slippers, grow my hair a bit longer and start going clubbing again. But I just can't be arsed.

"But I just can't be arsed."

That's the correct response. You could also buy a Harley.
  • Options

As a matter of interest is there any party staffers just spouting the party line, as Stuart claims?

My impression is that those on here who have party positions are all more intelligent and nuanced than that, and all deviate at times from official positions.

I do find the prospect of six more months of Scotnat posting a little depressing, little rays of sunshine that they are.

The only group that never criticise their own party are the Scot Nats/SNP.

UKIP and the Lib Dems are usually pretty forgiving of their own parties, Labour, and in particular Con, less so....

• Options
    edited March 2014
    This is where Salmond's white paper went wrong, mixing his manifesto with the meaning of independence. Nationalists can be from the far right to the far left, who agree on little else.

I think a Yes vote would be good for Scottish politics, it will force Scots to grow up and take responsibility for their own lives. As a contented optimist, I consider that a good thing.

FPT:

They'll have got what they want too. Nationalists want an independent Scotland. Whether most Scots are better off or not as a result is a very secondary issue. But that's nationalism. Look at that article on Catalonia you linked to: Catalan nationalists are prepared to declare independence unilaterally and to fundamentally damage the Catalan economy to get what they want.

• Options
    NickPalmer [8.48am] Do you really believe that the Times has editorial freedom from Murdoch? I know there was a bit of paper, but surely it was no more than a fig-leaf?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Thanks a lot, Mike, I choose PB because of it's robustness of arguments [ debate ? ].
    I could have chosen to go into Labour List etc. [ likeminded for me ] but what's the point.

Thanks again. You have allowed amatuer arm chair politicos like me an avenue to express opinions . I have been here since late 2009, I think.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I tallied Optimistic Contentment. Neither of those are words I would use to describe myself.

I'm sure many of us who have read your posts over the years can think of two words to describe you. Shall we open a thread on it ? ;-)

Be honest you wanted to be a Cosmopolitan but Norfolk shone through !

• Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736
    Congratulations Mike - must mean that I have been here and posting intermittently for 9 odd years which is a bit of a scary thought! Here's to the next 10.
  • Options
    F1: just read many comments on Joe Saward's blog about the fuel flow business:
    http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/03/22/the-red-bull-appeal/#comments

Interesting that there seems to be very little sympathy for Red Bull (although more for Ricciardo), and a general feeling the team's arrogant, needs taking down a peg or two, and is trying to play politics to get the rules changes to their advantage (see Pirelli last year, although that also had some safety considerations).
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Another betrayal by our so called betters:

Bas ‏@Hillchaser 46m
    Islamic law is adopted by British legal chiefs | via @Telegraph http://fw.to/E4bhjwG
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

There’s a quiz on the BBC site ” What political tribe are you”http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26689333:
    I came out as a 6. Cosmopolitan Critics: "Generally younger, more secular and urban-based, worried about growing inequality & the general direction the country is going in.”

Did you notice how similar Labour and Lib Dem voters are ? Tories are from a different planet, of course.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Hope you crack open a bottle of Bedford's Best Bubbly to celebrate.

Congrats too from another 2004 old pb timer. And Colin W's mum also sends her best wishes.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,014
    edited March 2014
    Many congratulations - and more importantly thanks - Mike. We have had our disagreements and arguments over the years but the site itself is a huge achievement and that is down primarily to your light touch moderation and the hard work of Robert and all the other moderators.

There will always be disagreements about how things are run but considering the site attracts political activists and commentators who must be amongst the most outspoken and opinionated people on planet earth then I think it is remarkable it has kept going essentially unchanged in its basic format and atmosphere for a decade.

Certainly looking forward to many more years of disagreeing with people from the comfort of my own armchair :-)

Edit... I think I joined in 2005 or 2006.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Happy anniversary Mike. Heartfelt thanks for hosting the site and continuing to make it available even though financially it has been a bit troublesome. I've only managed to make it to one PB get together but found it entertaining and really good to put faces to some of the names, and TSE, I owe you a dinner :-)

Really looking forward to the Yorkshire meet up this year and hope to meet some more PB regulars.

I've enjoyed the chance to express my views and receive (sometimes) reasoned and objective responses. Keep it up and here's to the next 10 years.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Happy 10th Birthday to PB, Mike. Looking forward to the next ten years.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I started with the belief that following the money might give a better indication as to how things were likely to turn out. I am not sure about that now but the banter and differing viewpoints are always entertaining.

Your initial belief was correct: prices are important fragments of information in markets, including political markets.

And, if Shadsy's prices are any guide (and they usually are) the long-heralded Scottish Tory "surge" is still not with us.

Ladbrokes - West Aberdeenshire & Kincardine (LD maj = 3,684)

LD 8/11
    Con 6/4
    SNP 8/1
    Lab 33/1
    UKIP 100/1

That seat really should be "nailed-on" for Davidson's bunch. Just look at its demographics. The fact that you are not FAV has a lot to do with the laughable state of the SCon GOTV operation.

No-backers: beware the GOTV.

• Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516
    10 is a good age for a birthday, I hope that there are many more.

I have given up on mine since I found out that the candles cost more than the cake.
  • Options
    Congratulations on ten years, Mike. Here's to the next ten!
  • Options

antifrank said:

I'm sure many of us who have read your posts over the years can think of two words to describe you. Shall we open a thread on it ? ;-)

Be honest you wanted to be a Cosmopolitan but Norfolk shone through !

Only two words, Field Marshal? I'm disappointed.

• Options
    So not a Contented Optomist I suppose...
    MikeK said:

Bas ‏@Hillchaser 46m
    Islamic law is adopted by British legal chiefs | via @Telegraph http://fw.to/E4bhjwG

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

NickPalmer [8.48am] Do you really believe that the Times has editorial freedom from Murdoch? I know there was a bit of paper, but surely it was no more than a fig-leaf?

Broadly yes. Perhaps I'm too trusting! But it's in his interest (commercial and reputational) not to mess around with it, and he'd need to be really obsessive about British politics to override that. The current editor is clearly more pro-Tory and Murdoch might have had a hand in deciding that, but I'd be surprised to hear he interferes in content.

• Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    surbiton said:

Did you notice how similar Labour and Lib Dem voters are ? Tories are from a different planet, of course.
    I came out 100% Optimistic Contentment!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,072

F1: just read many comments on Joe Saward's blog about the fuel flow business:
    http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/03/22/the-red-bull-appeal/#comments

Interesting that there seems to be very little sympathy for Red Bull (although more for Ricciardo), and a general feeling the team's arrogant, needs taking down a peg or two, and is trying to play politics to get the rules changes to their advantage (see Pirelli last year, although that also had some safety considerations).

It sounds as though they're bang to rights. In a race, you don't ignore directions given to you by the authorities. If anything, Ricciardo should have been warned with a half-black flag, and if that was still ignored, a black flag a few laps later.

As well as PB, it's my birthday today, and I'm having to set up a new laptop Mrs J bought me for my personal work. It now means that we now have eight PCs / laptops between the two of us, as well as a sundry of tablets, PICs and other devices.

It's my first time setting up a Win 8.1 machine, and so far I quite like it. It's nowhere near as intrusive as Apple's setup process for the iPad I got Mrs J for Christmas. (end gratuitous Apple fan baiting).
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Bas ‏@Hillchaser 46m

Great to see you standing up for the Human Rights Act and fighting against non-human rights compliant practices!

• Options
    It would have been more fun if Populus had given those groups more candid names like Insufferably Smug, Wet Lettuce, Batshit Mental and so on.
This discussion has been closed.