Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov finds 66 PC backing Osborne’s budget but LAB’s 5pc l

SystemSystem Posts: 11,704
edited March 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov finds 66 PC backing Osborne’s budget but LAB’s 5pc lead remains

As can be seen from the Times front page the first Budget polling by YouGov finds strong support from voters for the measures in Wednesday’s statement.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Test
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    UK / Next Conservative Leader George Osborne Lay xxxxxxxxxxxxx 19-Mar-14
    09:57 6 10.00 6 20-Mar-14 17:43
  • Options
    £5 backed at Hills at 16-1 now...
  • Options
    Nice to take advantage of the Osborne mug surge ;)
  • Options
    Mike - THere IS a movement and it is the logical one.

65+ Kippers small swingback to CON.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    'The Chancellor’s dramatic announcement in Wednesday’s Budget is supported by 66 per cent in the YouGov survey published today in The Sun.'

I’d call that a success.
  • Options

'The Chancellor’s dramatic announcement in Wednesday’s Budget is supported by 66 per cent in the YouGov survey published today in The Sun.'

I’d call that a success.

It seems like a decent budget, though bookies and annuity providers have been shellacked in the market (Ask Scrapheap). I think in terms of VI movement it is too early to tell yet though 34/10 CON/UKIP hints at some oldies returning to CON from the kippers.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    If you poll giving people the freedom to do something without stating any particular downside they're generally going to be in favour. The polling that's needed here is whether or not they care.
  • Options
    This is another case where we need some placebo polling to calibrate it against. Somebody should ask the voters whether they support giving savers the freedom to reintegrate their frozen annuitized IFTAs.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,063
    Are we going to get a summary of last nights council by-elections at some point? Please.
  • Options
    smac14smac14 Posts: 1
    As you always say. Don't get excited by one poll
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Are we going to get a summary of last nights council by-elections at some point? Please.

Mike normally publishes an updated results thread later on Friday.

Mark Senior published two overnight results on the last thread. One Con GAIN and one Con HOLD. Presumably the other results are counting this morning.

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    LOOOOOOOOOOL.
  • Options
    smac14 said:

As you always say. Don't get excited by one poll

Welcome @smac14

Quite correct. We need to see a string of polls over the coming few weeks to determine whether the budget has moved the numbers. In particular ICM would be useful, we are far too reliant on YouGov because on their continuous output.

Quality not quantity is to be favoured or if you're Eric Pickles both with an added dash of excess.

• Options
    Freggles said:

LOOOOOOOOOOL.

Someone woke up and looked under the duvet ....

• Options
    mdajrtmdajrt Posts: 2
    I can't see how Labour can win in 2015, they haven't had poll leads of 15-20 points during this parliament which other Labour leaders have had and if they don't top the poll in the Euro elections then surely Miliband is a dead man walking !!!.........The Tories will win in 2015 with a majority of about 20-30
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,063
    JackW said:

Mark Senior published two overnight results on the last thread. One Con GAIN and one Con HOLD. Presumably the other results are counting this morning.

Thank you. I wasn’t able to watch the site last night; otherwise engaged. I did look back, but couldn’t find them.
    As you say “normally”. It’s a bit early for effects, and there are all sorts of local issues, but they are actual voters putting their actual crosses.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Ed Balls doesn't like the pensions reform. He is really worried that pensioners will spend all their money before he gets his hands on it
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    mdajrt said:

I can't see how Labour can win in 2015, they haven't had poll leads of 15-20 points during this parliament which other Labour leaders have had and if they don't top the poll in the Euro elections then surely Miliband is a dead man walking !!!.........The Tories will win in 2015 with a majority of about 20-30

Not sure about a majority but I have laid Labour most seats at 1.74
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,392
    I would certainly not claim to have been in a position to trade mark the phrase "voteless recovery" but I have been using it for a year now. We have discussed many times why this might be the case, the most obvious being that although the country is doing better the vast majority of those already in work are not.

Danny Alexander also almost gave the game away with his comments on R5 on the day of the budget. Asked what there was in the budget for those oppressed hard working people (and the lazy sods who spend half their day on blog sites like this one of course) he replied that the biggest single measure in the budget was the £500 increase in the basic allowance for 25m people.

Putting aside how many of those 25m were already not paying taxes this means that the biggest measure cost 25m x£100 (at 20%) = £2.5bn. Not chicken feed but pretty close for a government spending £730+bn a year.

In short the budget was as I and others predicted, a steady as she goes budget but with a very clever piece of marketing fluff added on to hide the fact. Almost a classic squirrel in fact. But for the pension reforms I am sure the question would have been is that it?

An ungrateful electorate continues to ask what is in this recovery for me. The answer, unfortunately, remains not much. Until our productivity improves real wages will not grow significantly. Increasing productivity and at the same time finding lots of new jobs for the low skilled is tricky. It will take a lot of investment and a lot of time. This year real wages will start to increase again but for most not by enough to buy that game of bingo. The tories will not win on the basis of past performance. They need to win the argument that their future performance will be better than the alternative. Balls and Miliband are doing their best but this is not an easy sell.
  • Options
    Twenty three year old L/Cpl Simon Malloney win the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross, second only to the VC, for heroism in Afghanistan.

The St. Albans man was shot in the neck by the Taleban during a fire fight but continued leading his squad for ninety minutes before being relieved.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26667333
  • Options
    Morning.... nervously looks towards 8am start of trading... there is still hope Frodo...

some of us at the coal face think the market has it wrong...

From the FT today:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/a6ea8d26-b048-11e3-8efc-00144feab7de.html#ixzz2wa30eRCJ

Ned Cazalet, an independent consultant to the insurance industry, said the stock market reaction to the announcement – close to £3bn was wiped off the value of insurance company shares – was wildly off the mark.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    I back Osborne's changes to the savings and pensions regime. I am not going to vote Tory though.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    This pension reform is not contingent on the outcome of the next GE, so why would it shift votes?
  • Options

Morning.... nervously looks towards 8am start of trading... there is still hope Frodo...

From the FT today:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/a6ea8d26-b048-11e3-8efc-00144feab7de.html#ixzz2wa30eRCJ

Ned Cazalet, an independent consultant to the insurance industry, said the stock market reaction to the announcement – close to £3bn was wiped off the value of insurance company shares – was wildly off the mark.

They will no doubt take a short term hit, then they will come up with new ways to make money in a new market. I'd be buying shares in IFAs if I could!

• Options

From the FT today:

They will no doubt take a short term hit, then they will come up with new ways to make money in a new market. I'd be buying shares in IFAs if I could!

I'll sell you 49% of my business for £1m.....
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075

I back Osborne's changes to the savings and pensions regime. I am not going to vote Tory though.

What would it take for you to vote Tory? What offer could they give that would make you consider voting for them?
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Morning all and of course it may simply be that we will discover in due course that the pogo pollsters methodology is simply out of date. I cannot be the only PB regular who feels that the daily YouGovs showing leads swinging more than the average pendulum diminishes them as pollsters. It is illogical that in the course of a single week, Labour leads could be 3,2 and 9 when there has been no dramatic, domestic news issue. Their sampling and weighting is simply now very suspect though obviously they are doing their best.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

This pension reform is not contingent on the outcome of the next GE, so why would it shift votes?

A future Labour government might decide that tax free lump sums for pensioners was something they wanted to tax, so they could spend it on benefits. They have some form...
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Wroxham is counting today , Torridge should have counted last night but result not known . Conservative vote share was down in both results declared last night even though they gained one .

• Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited March 2014
    I have 4 separate clients all seeking enhanced annuity quotes 'on the go' currently.

Guess how many want to stop seeking those now?

Clue = goose eggs.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    It's the point I made yesterday before seeing the polls - people may well feel the Budget measures had some good idea, why not? But the underlying Tory problem is that 38%ish of the electorate dislike them and want them out. It's been consistent through every kind of news - good, bad, indifferent - and it's silly to deny it. Today's YouGov has a modest bounce in approval/competence, but it comes from people outside the 38% (or 39% this time). For example, "led by people of real ability" has the Tories up by 4 from 20 to 24%. The proportion of Labour voters who agree is 4%.

They can only counter that by getting 40%ish themselves, and they don't seem to have a strategy for that. I'm not sure there is one, but concentrating their pre-election budget on changes to the arrangements when you retire and adding 1p off beer probably isn't it.
  • Options
    One other consequence of the brilliant squirrel of pension reform is that the "doers and makers" provisions in the budget have got very little attention. In terms of economic performance the increase in investment allowances and the additional support given for export credits will be more important.

These are not overnight fixes but they are steps in the right direction. Our balance of payments remains dreadful and shows a country that continues to live well beyond it's means.

Personally I find the idea of someone with the economic understanding of markets demonstrated by Miliband and, to a lesser extent, Balls in recent times trying to address these very difficult underlying problems quite scary. Miliband has no economic vision at all. That is why he was caught out in his reply.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789

Test

You have, in some ways, been proved right Mike. You can argue that the pensions stuff and the bingo stuff were both game changers that cancelled each other out ;-)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited March 2014
    Question is, after the credit-fuelled consumer boom over the past 15 years, what type of recovery will engender the same feel-good factor as offers of credit here there and everywhere dropping through your letter- and inbox and being pushed on the High Street? Nothing to match those times.

We are in a period of cold-turkey. Needless to say there has been a credit withdrawal overshoot (ask SME owners) but we should revert to the mean before too long as banks are assured a growing economy will allow them to rebuild their balance sheets, barring any black swan/Russian events.

It is the extension of credit which will contribute to the broad feeling of recovery but that is not to say that I am in favour of a return to the profligate times. Far from it, more a pullback from where we are now in terms of availability of credit.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    DavidL said:

One other consequence of the brilliant squirrel of pension reform is that the "doers and makers" provisions in the budget have got very little attention. In terms of economic performance the increase in investment allowances and the additional support given for export credits will be more important.

These are not overnight fixes but they are steps in the right direction. Our balance of payments remains dreadful and shows a country that continues to live well beyond it's means.

Personally I find the idea of someone with the economic understanding of markets demonstrated by Miliband and, to a lesser extent, Balls in recent times trying to address these very difficult underlying problems quite scary. Miliband has no economic vision at all. That is why he was caught out in his reply.

The allowances are long overdue and should have been done 3 years ago. Still better something than nothing but there's still a long way to go. GOs obsession with export remains a puzzle to me, he'd hit the BoP harder if he focussed on import substitution .
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    A lot of tripe being written here by some , (probably including mine), but everyone knows that the effect of a major event does not generally have an immediate effect in polling. IT may take weeks or nothing might happen, but wait we must.
  • Options
    @DavidL various reports show that productivity growth has outstripped wage growth for decades, with the gap larger than ever, and the gap is bigger the lower down the pay scale you go. The gap has been bridged for some by compensation packages added to wages (healthcare, pension) which do not hit millions of people in bog standard jobs. They just get wages and as The LSE put it "a large wegdge has opened up between median wages and productivity".

People are working harder. Their pay has declined in relative terms, and the pound buys less than it used to thanks to high inflation on essentials and a policy of devaluation. Its a "voteless" recovery because for millions of people there isn't a recovery. I go back to the supermarkets supplying the masses - the big boys all say their shoppers have less to spend, the discounters and mopping up. Less money in your pocket does not equal recovery no matter what the official stats say.
  • Options

Morning all and of course it may simply be that we will discover in due course that the pogo pollsters methodology is simply out of date. I cannot be the only PB regular who feels that the daily YouGovs showing leads swinging more than the average pendulum diminishes them as pollsters. It is illogical that in the course of a single week, Labour leads could be 3,2 and 9 when there has been no dramatic, domestic news issue. Their sampling and weighting is simply now very suspect though obviously they are doing their best.

It's just natural variance around the margin of error.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171

It's the point I made yesterday before seeing the polls - people may well feel the Budget measures had some good idea, why not? But the underlying Tory problem is that 38%ish of the electorate dislike them and want them out. It's been consistent through every kind of news - good, bad, indifferent - and it's silly to deny it. Today's YouGov has a modest bounce in approval/competence, but it comes from people outside the 38% (or 39% this time). For example, "led by people of real ability" has the Tories up by 4 from 20 to 24%. The proportion of Labour voters who agree is 4%.

They can only counter that by getting 40%ish themselves, and they don't seem to have a strategy for that. I'm not sure there is one, but concentrating their pre-election budget on changes to the arrangements when you retire and adding 1p off beer probably isn't it.

Nick you are obviously very confident of success, like you the Labour Party is basing their whole strategy on "people hate tories" , decent policies are irrelevant, the tories are horrible get them out!
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

So 62% don't dislike them then?
  • Options

But the underlying Tory problem is that 38%ish of the electorate dislike them and want them out. It's been consistent through every kind of news - good, bad, indifferent - and it's silly to deny it.

True, but like visits to the dentist, sometimes pain is necessary. And I believe (ie I wishfully think) that a proportion of that 38% will realise that much as it is easier to gorge yourself on sweeties, that nagging pain in your mouth needs attention.

The key issue will be, in the polling booth, does the electorate *really* trust Labour not to c*ck it up again.
  • Options

Oh come on Southam, come to the dark side.

• Options

From the FT today:

I'll sell you 49% of my business for £1m.....

Hmmmm. Let me think about it ...

• Options
    currystar said:

like you the Labour Party is basing their whole strategy on "people hate tories"

It worked so brilliantly in Crewe...
  • Options
    DavidL

The biggest negative in our balance of payments is energy imports. From a national financial strategic perspective we should really push to maximise UK energy output. That means incentivising North Sea investment. But most of all it means fracking.

If we can produce significant volumes of shale gas there may or may not be some downward pressure on gas bills. (Nice to have but not the main driver). There will be some good job creation in the north west. (Nice to have but not the main driver). BUT..we will produce our own gas and stop having to import it. This is massive. And it's taxable. The impact on our national finances (fiscal deficit, trade deficit) would be huge and positive.

Any government of left or right should legislate to overcome nimbyism and get fracking.
  • Options

What would it take for you to vote Tory? What offer could they give that would make you consider voting for them?

I'd need to see a lot more evidence that they see the world from the bottom up rather than the top down, that they see the state and the public sector as powerful forces for good, that they did not dislike trade unions, that they recognised the major flaws in the Anglo-Saxon capitalist model and that they would not continually tack to the right in order to pander to UKIP switchers.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    Good morning my fellow travellers through time and space.

I said as much on Weds that I didn't expect the Labour figures to shift by much as a direct consequence of the budget. Rather a shift back from the older kippers, and a firming up of the Lib Dem share.

Been a good day for me so far, won on a radio quiz this morning and the roads were very quiet on the way to work.. Sun is out and no sign of rain, so my lunchtime run today should be ok too.

• Options

I'd need to see a lot more evidence that they see the world from the bottom up rather than the top down, that they see the state and the public sector as powerful forces for good, that they did not dislike trade unions, that they recognised the major flaws in the Anglo-Saxon capitalist model and that they would not continually tack to the right in order to pander to UKIP switchers.
    You could have just said "Nothing" ;-)
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    BBC - Petrol prices at three-year low says AA

"This week, the Chancellor, George Osborne, unveiled another fuel duty freeze in his annual Budget." - cheers George.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26669614
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Scott_P said:

currystar said:

like you the Labour Party is basing their whole strategy on "people hate tories"

It worked so brilliantly in Crewe...
    Yes indeed it did , Labour won every seat in Crewe in the UA elections in 2011
  • Options
    @gabyhinsliff: Ed Mili's big anti-SNP argument today appears to be basically his anti-Tory argument with the names changed http://t.co/kaGuahIhqv
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    I note that Labour gained the Portsoken ward in the City of London. The Labour councillor is the only party representative on the corporation.
  • Options

Those are both consistent with an underlying position of 6, and there's probably a bit of movement from day to day depending on the news, weather and sport. Per their MoE one day in 20 should be outside the range you mention even without any underlying change, so what we're seeing doesn't seem at all wonky. If anything it would be odd if it was more stable than it's been.
  • Options

I used to vote Labour because that is what I was brought up to do. But I have developed a way of looking at the world that is my own, so I like to think that there are circumstances under which the Tories might become a possibility for me. But it is unlikely, I admit. I just do not see most things in the same way as the Tories do.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

DavidL

The biggest negative in our balance of payments is energy imports. From a national financial strategic perspective we should really push to maximise UK energy output. That means incentivising North Sea investment. But most of all it means fracking.

If we can produce significant volumes of shale gas there may or may not be some downward pressure on gas bills. (Nice to have but not the main driver). There will be some good job creation in the north west. (Nice to have but not the main driver). BUT..we will produce our own gas and stop having to import it. This is massive. And it's taxable. The impact on our national finances (fiscal deficit, trade deficit) would be huge and positive.

Any government of left or right should legislate to overcome nimbyism and get fracking.

I agree fracking is going to be important but we also cannot overlook the effect of renewables. As someone who is deeply sceptical about all this green tosh I have been very impressed by the proportion of our energy coming from this. If it can be made price competitive this could be a major step in improving our balance of payments. If it can't it becomes a drag on economic performance, hence the steps to reduce costs for our major energy users in the budget.

I also agree with alanbrooke that import substitution should not be overlooked. We continue to make progress on the supply chain for car manufacturing and to some extent pharma but we need much, much more to make us better off as a nation.

• Options

I used to vote Labour because that is what I was brought up to do. But I have developed a way of looking at the world that is my own, so I like to think that there are circumstances under which the Tories might become a possibility for me. But it is unlikely, I admit. I just do not see most things in the same way as the Tories do.
    Hold your nose?

:)
  • Options

I agree with all of that. I would argue that you are not giving Cameron and in particular Osborne credit for what they have achieved in that direction but more steps would be welcomed. The Coalition has helped in this respect.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Easterross, there is a lot of bouncing around with YouGov's numbers. I wonder if this is to be expected, given the frequency and volume of polls produced. On the other hand, a psych test aims to have at least a 0.95 p value, meaning that there's a 95% chance (minimum) that the results are due to accurately measuring whatever issue(s) are sought rather than random chance. By that measure 1 out of 20 (or fewer) test results would be due to random factors and 19 out of 20 (or more) would be because of the test accurately measuring what it sets out to measure.

If opinion polls were the same, that'd mean we'd only get something even like a rogue once every three to four weeks or so. On the other hand, psych tests can be more involved, time-consuming and should have double-back questions (so, you might ask "Do you agree Ed Miliband is crap?" and, later "Do you agree Ed Miliband is super?").
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

ComRes, Populus, Mori and Opinium have all registered polls with Labour at 35% or below in the last month. So your confidence in there being already in place an immovable election-winning bloc of voters for Labour already is demonstrably misplaced, unless you regard YouGov as the only pollster of note.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Patrick said:

DavidL

I agree fracking is going to be important but we also cannot overlook the effect of renewables. As someone who is deeply sceptical about all this green tosh I have been very impressed by the proportion of our energy coming from this. If it can be made price competitive this could be a major step in improving our balance of payments. If it can't it becomes a drag on economic performance, hence the steps to reduce costs for our major energy users in the budget.

I also agree with alanbrooke that import substitution should not be overlooked. We continue to make progress on the supply chain for car manufacturing and to some extent pharma but we need much, much more to make us better off as a nation.
    The biggest problem for renewables isn't generation, as technology advances efficiency improves. The problem is storage and timed delivery of supply.
    We need a good mix of generation including renewables, nuclear, and carbon to ensure the lights don't go out.
  • Options

The state and public sector is like a knife: an invaluable tool and a lethal toy. Governments of all stripes treat the state as a plaything with the entirely predictable results, and then expect our sympathy.
  • Options
    Mr. Barber, I wonder if we could fit new homes with photovoltaic windows (mentioned here some time ago by others) and the like, so that the energy needs of each individual house is lower, reducing the overall need for energy generation (on a national level).
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    (OT) Do they have a weird bumpkin accent in Wyoming? I watched "Brokeback Mountain" the other day and I had to put the subtitles on because it was difficult to understand it a lot of the time. I wasn't sure if it was because of the accent, or just because they were mumbling a lot of the time.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

The state and public sector is like a knife: an invaluable tool and a lethal toy. Governments of all stripes treat the state as a plaything with the entirely predictable results, and then expect our sympathy.

Bad night's sleep antifrank??!!

• Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    edited March 2014
    The main thing about the budget is that there was very little to really disagree with and that is why EdM found it difficult to criticise.

Many would have wanted more tax relief etc, but GO had very little to play with.

Re: VI. The public sector know that there is a more fat to be removed and also that more services will be moved away from LA financial and political control. So probably they are looking to Labour for their salvation.
  • Options

antifrank said:

A very good night's sleep, as it happens. My point is very serious. The good that the state and public sector can do is usually sabotaged from poor management from the top. I agree with you that the state and public sector are good things, but too many on the left are far too blasé about the risks of state intervention.
  • Options
    Financier said:

The main thing about the budget is that there was very little to really disagree with and that is why EdM found it difficult to criticise.

Many would have wanted more tax rleief etc, but GO had very little to play with.

Re: VI. The public sector know that there is a more fat to be removed and also that more services will be moved away from LA financial and political control. So probably they are looking to Labour for their salvation.

How does that explain Labour's poll lead among those working in the private sector?

• Options
    Turkey: Erdogan appears to have blocked Twitter: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26677134

Not a great sign.
  • Options

Financier said:

Many would have wanted more tax rleief etc, but GO had very little to play with.

How does that explain Labour's poll lead among those working in the private sector?

If you look at the polls as mini bye-elections it is easy to develop a theory whereby, by indicating Lab support, you are sticking it to the Cons/Coalition.

"That'll show them" would be one easy to understand motive.

Different from GE2015 when more dispassionate assessment is required.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

A very good night's sleep, as it happens. My point is very serious. The good that the state and public sector can do is usually sabotaged from poor management from the top. I agree with you that the state and public sector are good things, but too many on the left are far too blasé about the risks of state intervention.

Glad to hear you slept well - your replies to me and NickP had me worried!

Agree with you about the traditional left and the state; Labour went horribly wrong on that front when it was in power. But I do not buy into the private sector good/public sector bad mantra that so many Tories on here and more generally seem to espouse. The state has achieved extraordinary things in this country and tens of millions have benefited. It also seems to work pretty well in many other countries. It's something that's worth sticking with and trying to get right, not abandoning.

• Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

Wroxham is counting today , Torridge should have counted last night but result not known . Conservative vote share was down in both results declared last night even though they gained one .

Thank you Mark

• Options
    macisbackmacisback Posts: 382

Mr Osbourne hasn't a lot of money to throw around though and I think the Pensions idea should sell well with all people 40 plus. I would have like to have seen some move towards making the NI thresholds match tax, opportunity missed there I think. I don't see Labour getting more than 35% of the total vote, with a fairly uninspiring leadership team. The key will be the Tory Labour marginals like yours and mine Derby North, we are confident here with a very poor unpopular MP. You are up against quality in Anna. The pension changes may help push her over the line, so don't dismiss them too lightly.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Glad to hear you slept well - your replies to me and NickP had me worried!

Agree with you about the traditional left and the state; Labour went horribly wrong on that front when it was in power. But I do not buy into the private sector good/public sector bad mantra that so many Tories on here and more generally seem to espouse. The state has achieved extraordinary things in this country and tens of millions have benefited. It also seems to work pretty well in many other countries. It's something that's worth sticking with and trying to get right, not abandoning.

Southam,

Interesting to hear your views on the parties. My take is that the state should only be involved in matters of national significance and having a very narrow definition of that. The easy ones are defence, health (in the UK's method of provision), economy (taxation etc). After this are the other main areas where I see the state having a major role, infra-structure development, long term demographic planning, limited social safety net.

All else should be left to the individual and the role of government would be to allow that to happen.
  • Options
    OT- This low cost epidemic could spread to Europe

"Heroin abuse in the US has been spreading beyond inner cities, resulting in a sharp rise in addiction and death. Chicago is a hub for cheap, pure and plentiful heroin, much of it supplied by Mexican drug cartels.

Chicago's "L" train green line leads directly to the open-air drug markets on the city's west side.

As we travel the route with one of the addicts, Jason, he phones his contact. He wants two bags of heroin, each costing just $10 (£6). The dealer meets us, and within seconds two tiny bags are handed over.

This part of Chicago has been ground down by neglect, drugs and crime, and residents talk openly about the narcotics on sale."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26672422
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, obviously both sectors are essential, but a critical difference is that the private sector adds to the Treasury and the public sector diminishes it. More private sector and fewer public sector jobs means a better state of affairs financially.

That's not the only consideration, of course. We need provision for vital public services, but they must be paid for.

Incidentally, it seems the pensions changes won't be permitted for public sector defined benefit pensions (ie they can't shift to defined contribution and take a big lump sum) on the basis the Treasury would rather pay a little each year than a large one-off sum.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

Turkey: Erdogan appears to have blocked Twitter: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26677134

Not a great sign.

I bet Cameron wishes he could do it sometimes.
    antifrank said:

ComRes, Populus, Mori and Opinium have all registered polls with Labour at 35% or below in the last month. So your confidence in there being already in place an immovable election-winning bloc of voters for Labour already is demonstrably misplaced, unless you regard YouGov as the only pollster of note.

The same polls generally have the Tories lower too - the difference is mostly down to whether you think that ex-non voter UKIP voters will turn out or not. From the viewpoint of who wins the election it doesn't actually matter much, though it will matter in the Euros.

I do realise that my posts saying nothing much is happening and Labour is stably 5% ahead must look at best complacent and at worst smug, and I try not to do it every day. But it needs to be said, not least on a betting site, as there is a very strong PB tendency to overreact to things that most people barely notice.

I think there are two potential game-changers - the perception of the Euro result in terms of what it does to the kipper vote, and the Indyref. Otherwise, we should be OK.

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Ed Balls doesn't like the pensions reform. He is really worried that pensioners will spend all their money before he gets his hands on it

Labour's gobsmacked response to the pension reforms means the conservatives are quite at liberty to run all sorts of scare stories about labour pension plans.

• Options

Financier said:

Please can you give a reference.

I was referring mainly to OGH's previous thread that showed public sector employees preferring Labour by a large margin.
  • Options
    Mr. Palmer, nonsense. Cameron understands Twitter better than any other politician.

"Too many tweets might make a..." - as he wisely predicted.

On a serious note, a country with aspirations of joining the EU seems to be sliding ever more towards an oppressive state.
  • Options

Not a great sign.

antifrank said:

The same polls generally have the Tories lower too - the difference is mostly down to whether you think that ex-non voter UKIP voters will turn out or not. From the viewpoint of who wins the election it doesn't actually matter much, though it will matter in the Euros.

I do realise that my posts saying nothing much is happening and Labour is stably 5% ahead must look at best complacent and at worst smug, and I try not to do it every day. But it needs to be said, not least on a betting site, as there is a very strong PB tendency to overreact to things that most people barely notice.

I think there are two potential game-changers - the perception of the Euro result in terms of what it does to the kipper vote, and the Indyref. Otherwise, we should be OK.

There's a big difference between a 5% lead on 35% and a 5% lead on 39%, as I'm sure you appreciate. Today's YouGov poll is very comforting for Labour, but there has been more than enough variation in polling in the last month to indicate that voters have not simply made their mind up just yet.

If the Conservatives hold their nerve, they will probably overtake Labour in the polls this year. That's quite a big if though.
  • Options

Not a great sign.

antifrank said:

Very complacent and smug sounding. I would think the election campaign might be the most obvious game changer. How much will Os have learnt from the last one and how will Ed fare under the most microscopic scrutiny. On your side how the British people view his suitability for PM when the day comes must cause concern.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Not a great sign.

antifrank said:

There's a big difference between a 5% lead on 35% and a 5% lead on 39%, as I'm sure you appreciate. Today's YouGov poll is very comforting for Labour, but there has been more than enough variation in polling in the last month to indicate that voters have not simply made their mind up just yet.

If the Conservatives hold their nerve, they will probably overtake Labour in the polls this year. That's quite a big if though.
    A 'prediction' where you cannot be proved wrong ;-)
  • Options
    Financier said:

Financier said:

I was referring mainly to OGH's previous thread that showed public sector employees preferring Labour by a large margin.

The poll Mike quoted in that thread also showed Labour ahead among private sector workers.

• Options
    BobaFett said:

antifrank said:

Not a great sign.

antifrank said:

A 'prediction' where you cannot be proved wrong ;-)
    Unwisely, I make and publicise more predictions than most people on this site. While bad for my credibility, it's very helpful for developing my thinking, actually, because I can't duck where I go wrong and I try to learn from my mistakes.

This one can be measured by metrics. There is an element of feedback loop, I grant you.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,019

Unfortunately I consider both the State and much of the Public Sector at best a necessary evil.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Easterross, there is a lot of bouncing around with YouGov's numbers. I wonder if this is to be expected, given the frequency and volume of polls produced. On the other hand, a psych test aims to have at least a 0.95 p value, meaning that there's a 95% chance (minimum) that the results are due to accurately measuring whatever issue(s) are sought rather than random chance. By that measure 1 out of 20 (or fewer) test results would be due to random factors and 19 out of 20 (or more) would be because of the test accurately measuring what it sets out to measure.

If opinion polls were the same, that'd mean we'd only get something even like a rogue once every three to four weeks or so. On the other hand, psych tests can be more involved, time-consuming and should have double-back questions (so, you might ask "Do you agree Ed Miliband is crap?" and, later "Do you agree Ed Miliband is super?").

A very long post when you could simply have written "margin of error"!
  • Options
    macisback said:

Very complacent and smug sounding. I would think the election campaign might be the most obvious game changer. How much will Os have learnt from the last one and how will Ed fare under the most microscopic scrutiny. On your side how the British people view his suitability for PM when the day comes must cause concern.

Because expectations of Ed Miliband are low, he is highly likely to outperform them in the election campaign.
  • Options
    Mr. Antifrank, a similar thing occurs for my F1 tips.

For those wondering, if you backed Rosberg I'd probably advise hedging now if you haven't already (he was 17 and 24 or so with Ladbrokes and Betfair respectively, and is now about 4). Magnussen was 51 and is now around 24 (I'm leaving that for the time being. The McLaren may be more reliable than the Mercedes, and, although slower, is very close to the Red Bull and better than probably all others save perhaps Williams).
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,916
    http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/mar/21/student-fees-policy-costing-more

O/T - a report on the student fees situation and public spending.
  • Options

Financier said:

Financier said:

The poll Mike quoted in that thread also showed Labour ahead among private sector workers.

Shush! This fact does not fit the PB Conservative story!
  • Options
    antifrank said:

macisback said:

Because expectations of Ed Miliband are low, he is highly likely to outperform them in the election campaign.
    Indeed. An insightful post.
    Leave some fight for the ring.
    And please no policies until the autumn.
  • Options
    Polls are still mood music for me, especially because labour have revealed so little of what they actually intend to do in government, and also because they have said they will keep most of what the coalition are doing.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/mar/21/student-fees-policy-costing-more

O/T - a report on the student fees situation and public spending.

hardly surprising, the system is riddled with holes. No Brains Willetts has cocked it up.
  • Options
    TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited March 2014

Mr. Observer, obviously both sectors are essential, but a critical difference is that the private sector adds to the Treasury and the public sector diminishes it. More private sector and fewer public sector jobs means a better state of affairs financially.

That's not the only consideration, of course. We need provision for vital public services, but they must be paid for.

Incidentally, it seems the pensions changes won't be permitted for public sector defined benefit pensions (ie they can't shift to defined contribution and take a big lump sum) on the basis the Treasury would rather pay a little each year than a large one-off sum.

I'm obviously biased, but the key for me is the phrase "but they must be paid for".

Either way, privatised or public, the state (well, taxpayers) pay for it. Taking my job as an example, I guess it comes down to whether you think a company like G4S or AssetCo can deliver the service required at a price that enriches their shareholders, at least as well as it's done by the public sector.
    I'd argue that they can't, but I guess we could go back and forth on that all day.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Nice to see Ed finally entering the Sindy Ref debate.

Yes lead soon ?

• Options

LOL

The shorter the period of scrutiny the better, right?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

macisback said:

You might be right and his integrity and sincerity are beyond question, unlike most politicians, which could be used to his advantage. I am not so sure though and Balls and Burnham could be serious liabilities.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

antifrank said:

macisback said:

Indeed. An insightful post.
    Leave some fight for the ring.
    Yes, because a crap policy revealed in the autumn will stand the test of criticism much better than one revealed now. It's nonsense.

Reveal at the last minute and you lose the chance to quietly kill off the duds and you can't build a narrative round the good stuff.

This discussion has been closed.