Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The fundamentals and history still favour Trump and punters agree – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,799
    edited October 15
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Taz said:

She’s at it again.

Clearly team Harris thinks there is a problem with black male support. Now support for recreational weed users.

https://x.com/kamalaharris/status/1846228061173256714?s=61

Yes it’s daft . The US elections really put ours to shame in terms of wtf moments !
    Kamala Harris campaigning to win votes of Black men, is NOT nearly as daft as Rishi Sunak launching the 2024 GE campaign in a rainstorm without an umbrella.

OR the sight of Ed Davey campaigning (successfully as it turned out) slip-sliding down water-slides & similar.
    This myth that Trump is doing well with black men gets wheeled out for now the 3rd time and come the day he crashes and burns with that cohort . My concern is that although the policies put forward mostly include not just black voters isn’t there a danger that it could be misconstrued . Since the infamous NY Times Siena poll other polls haven’t supported it .
    Doing well? It depends how you define it - he is pulling in something like 15%+ of the black vote, according to some polls.

Which is enough to cause Harris concern.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,427
    theProle said:

Ratters said:

Taz said:

She’s at it again.

Clearly team Harris thinks there is a problem with black male support. Now support for recreational weed users.

I mean, does anyone really think a 'recreational marijuana user' should go to jail for it?

Regardless of your views on legalising, punishing users with jail time (as definitely happens in the US) for something half the prosecution team and jury has also used in their lives is clearly beyond ridiculous.
    Either it needs legalising properly - all the way up the supply chain - or it needs harsh enough punishment for possession that people actually think twice.

The "blind eye" legalisation is totally dumb.

I'd rather they legalised coke personally, coke just makes people unpleasant whilst under the influence, weed makes an unfortunate subset of users permanently paranoid and psychotic.
    Alcohol and tobacco are worse from a health point of view.

Coke is the worst from the behaviour point of view.

E is best. I'm lucky in that my brain seems to produce E of its own accord.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,516

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Taz said:

She’s at it again.

Yes it’s daft . The US elections really put ours to shame in terms of wtf moments !
    Kamala Harris campaigning to win votes of Black men, is NOT nearly as daft as Rishi Sunak launching the 2024 GE campaign in a rainstorm without an umbrella.

OR the sight of Ed Davey campaigning (successfully as it turned out) slip-sliding down water-slides & similar.
    This myth that Trump is doing well with black men gets wheeled out for now the 3rd time and come the day he crashes and burns with that cohort . My concern is that although the policies put forward mostly include not just black voters isn’t there a danger that it could be misconstrued . Since the infamous NY Times Siena poll other polls haven’t supported it .
    Doing well? It depends how you define it - he is pulling in something like 15%+ of the black vote, according to some polls.

Which is enough to cause Harris concern.
    Yougov CBS now has Harris up to 87% of the black vote, the same as Biden got in 2020 but she needs them to turn out.

If they do and she wins Georgia as a result and maybe even NC she can win even if she loses Arizona, Nevada, Wisconsin and Michigan as long as she holds Pennsylvania
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-harris-poll-how-information-beliefs-shape-tight-2024-campaign/
  • theProle said:

Ratters said:

Taz said:

She’s at it again.

I mean, does anyone really think a 'recreational marijuana user' should go to jail for it?

Regardless of your views on legalising, punishing users with jail time (as definitely happens in the US) for something half the prosecution team and jury has also used in their lives is clearly beyond ridiculous.
    Either it needs legalising properly - all the way up the supply chain - or it needs harsh enough punishment for possession that people actually think twice.

I'd rather they legalised coke personally, coke just makes people unpleasant whilst under the influence, weed makes an unfortunate subset of users permanently paranoid and psychotic.
    Coke makes a significant subset of users permanently deeply unpleasant twats.

I still think it should be legal, for reasons of liberalism and that prohibition does not work, but it is a terrible drug that has a terrible effect on its users.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,341
    HYUFD said:

I have just been informed by leadership ballot is on the way and has been posted by CCHQ

When is the deadline, young HYUFD?
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,799
    a

theProle said:

Ratters said:

Taz said:

She’s at it again.

I still think it should be legal, for reasons of liberalism and that prohibition does not work, but it is a terrible drug that has a terrible effect on its users.
    It is unclear if coke

1) makes people twats
    2) brings out the inner twat
    3) is just used by twats

If there any actual science on this?
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

I have just been informed by leadership ballot is on the way and has been posted by CCHQ

31st of this month to return ballots or vote online
  • viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Your ballot for the upcoming Leadership Election has now been posted to your registered membership address (postcode ending [REDACTED]) and should arrive by Friday 18th October.

We are aware of some postal delays and therefore we will only begin to reallocate ballots from noon Monday 21st October.

You will have the option to vote either online or by post. Your ballot pack will include codes to securely vote online and a physical ballot paper and a return envelope which can be returned by post.

Please note, if you wish to return your vote by the post, you will need to affix a stamp to the return envelope. If voting by post, your ballot must be received by 5pm on Thursday 31st October to count. We therefore advise those who wish to return their vote by post to vote immediately after you receive your ballot pack.

Please do take the time to review the address your ballot has been mailed to and where and when you can escalate a lost or undelivered ballot.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,784
    HYUFD said:

They're sending them by post?

Suddenly, the ante being required of the final two makes more sense.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,616
    TimT said:

So this is weird. I cannot log in on the politicalbetting.com site, but I can on the vf.politicalbetting.com site. Does anyone know why that would be the case?

Dunno, but welcome back!
  • a

theProle said:

Ratters said:

Taz said:

She’s at it again.

It is unclear if coke

1) makes people twats
    3) is just used by twats

I'd say 1 or 2.

I used to know too many people who were not twats, started doing the stuff, then went down the road of becoming twats.

Not seen any actual science on it, but anecdotally its definitely a problem.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,353
    geoffw said:

TimT said:

So this is weird. I cannot log in on the politicalbetting.com site, but I can on the vf.politicalbetting.com site. Does anyone know why that would be the case?

Dunno, but welcome back!
    Thanks. Good to see so many of the old faces still here.
  • HYUFD said:

Yes mine is on it's way too. Yet again we are not being offered a decent centrist candidate. I have been a member for at least 19 years and we never seem to get a good choice. I shall vote for Kemi because I know her a little and my wife and I many years ago had a long and interesting conversation with her and her daughter in their kitchen. I found her a very pleasant person but I had no idea she was going to be an MP let alone leader. Nevertheless I think we'd have a better chance of winning the next election with soneone with more appeal to the centre.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,466

a

theProle said:

Ratters said:

Taz said:

She’s at it again.

It is unclear if coke

1) makes people twats
    3) is just used by twats

Not scientific but it's clear to me that coke makes twats into even twattier twats
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,312
    I actually think Starmer is a traitor. He's pushing to add more permanent UNSC members which dilutes out power from 1 in 5 to 1 in 10. He's a complete joke. How long until the leftist voices who hate that we have a permanent seat start to gun for it and push him to give it up entirely.

This government is absolutely terrible and I don't see any redeeming qualities.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,546
    @DecisionDeskHQ
    Nevada Elections Forecast (10/15)

Presidential - Chance of Winning
    🟦 Harris: 58%
    🟥 Trump: 42%
    [D-5 since last week]

Senate - Chance of Winning
    🟦 Rosen: 82%
    🟥 Brown: 18%
    [D+1 since last week]

Presidential - Poll Average (34 polls)
    🟦 Harris: 48.0% (+0.1)
    🟥 Trump: 47.9%
    [No Change]

Senate - Poll Average (41 polls)
    🟦 Rosen: 50.4% (+9.1)
    🟥 Brown: 41.3%
    [D+0.3 since last week]

https://x.com/DecisionDeskHQ/status/1846283655691555269
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

31st of this month to return ballots or vote online
    Thank you
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,456

IF you think that Kamala Harris making a reasoned & reasonable appeal to Black men re: convictions using marijuana, is ipso facto wacky, then check out THIS news story:

New York Times (via Seattle Times) - How a man imprisoned in New York could sway a key House race in Alaska

In the race for Alaska’s sole seat in the House of Representatives, candidates are defined by credentials specific to the state.

The Democratic incumbent, Mary Peltola, is an Alaska Native who grew up in a fishing family. Her Republican challenger, Nick Begich III, hails from an Anchorage political dynasty. John Wayne Howe, a third-party candidate, has mined for gold and battled a bear.

Then there is Inmate 00932-005, campaigning from the Otisville Federal Correctional Institution in New York, some 4,000 miles from Alaska. He is Eric Hafner, running in a state he has never set foot in and cannot visit soon.

Hafner, 33, is serving 20 years for threatening public officials in New Jersey, where he grew up. Now in his dubious quest to become one himself, he has emerged as an unlikely factor in the fight for control of Congress.

Hafner has been a fringe congressional candidate at least twice before: in Hawaii in 2016 as a Republican and in Oregon two years later as a Democrat. This year, his Alaska candidacy withstood Democratic challenges in two courts and has pundits discussing the national implications of his possibly tipping the race, which could be key to control of the House. . . .

He entered as a Democrat, even without the support of the state party, which backs Peltola.

His paltry 467 votes, less than half a percent of the 109,000 cast, left him far behind the top finishers, Peltola and Begich, but still in a respectable sixth place among 12 candidates.

That wasn’t bad for a man in a federal lockup, but wasn’t enough to advance to the top-four general election ballot next month — at least until the third- and fourth-place finishers, both Republicans, dropped out, leaving Begich as the sole Republican. With that, Hafner was smack in the middle of a House race seen as one of a handful where the Democrat is vulnerable.

Democrats immediately began worrying that even while sitting in Otisville, about 70 miles northwest of New York City, Hafner, as a second Democrat, might pull votes from Peltola. Pundits speculated about whether he could play spoiler in a tight race between her and Begich. . . .

Federal law allows candidates to run for office in states where they do not live, as long as they plan to move there once elected. This seems difficult for Hafner, whose sentence ends in 2036 . . .

It is bizarre how the US system lets people stand for party X without party X's approval.
  • MaxPB said:

I actually think Starmer is a traitor. He's pushing to add more permanent UNSC members which dilutes out power from 1 in 5 to 1 in 10. He's a complete joke. How long until the leftist voices who hate that we have a permanent seat start to gun for it and push him to give it up entirely.

The power we have is veto power.

If the UNSC expands but it keeps veto powers then it just becomes even more deadlocked and useless, which is what it already is. I have no qualms with that.

The bigger issue is he says he wants it to be less deadlocked. That's the language of people in the EU wanted to move away from veto powers to "QMV" etc . . . that's problematic.
    MaxPB said:

To whom is he loyal if his idea of a good plan is to reduce our power in one of the few fora in which we still wield clout?
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,963
    Barnesian said:

theProle said:

Ratters said:

Taz said:

She’s at it again.

Alcohol is by some distance the worst from a behaviour point of view. The domestic violence statistics bear that out.
  • Barnesian said:

theProle said:

Ratters said:

Taz said:

She’s at it again.

Alcohol is by some distance the worst from a behaviour point of view. The domestic violence statistics bear that out.
    I don't remotely agree with that.
    MaxPB said:

I don't have an issue, you can't really argue against India, Japan, Germany, Brazil and South Africa for example having permanent seats at the UNSC as long as we keep ours too with France, China, Russia and the USA

MaxPB said:

If the UNSC expands but it keeps veto powers then it just becomes even more deadlocked and useless, which is what it already is. I have no qualms with that.

The bigger issue is he says he wants it to be less deadlocked. That's the language of people in the EU wanted to move away from veto powers to "QMV" etc . . . that's problematic.
    Yes, that's what makes him a traitor, he's looking to give up our UNSC veto. Between the UK and US holding a veto each we're actually able to block a lot of shit, especially for our allies like Israel who would very quickly get QMV'd into extinction.

Honestly, I think Harris would also be up for this folly, maybe Macron will be sane enough to shut this bullshit down.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,870

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Your ballot for the upcoming Leadership Election has now been posted to your registered membership address (postcode ending [REDACTED]) and should arrive by Friday 18th October.

We are aware of some postal delays and therefore we will only begin to reallocate ballots from noon Monday 21st October.

You will have the option to vote either online or by post. Your ballot pack will include codes to securely vote online and a physical ballot paper and a return envelope which can be returned by post.

Please note, if you wish to return your vote by the post, you will need to affix a stamp to the return envelope. If voting by post, your ballot must be received by 5pm on Thursday 31st October to count. We therefore advise those who wish to return their vote by post to vote immediately after you receive your ballot pack.

Please do take the time to review the address your ballot has been mailed to and where and when you can escalate a lost or undelivered ballot.
    Translation: Royal Mail is now so shit that we cannot rely on them delivering mail within a week never mind the one or two working days that they are contracted for.

edited October 15

HYUFD said:

Yes mine is on it's way too. Yet again we are not being offered a decent centrist candidate. I have been a member for at least 19 years and we never seem to get a good choice. I shall vote for Kemi because I know her a little and my wife and I many years ago had a long and interesting conversation with her and her daughter in their kitchen. I found her a very pleasant person but I had no idea she was going to be an MP let alone leader. Nevertheless I think we'd have a better chance of winning the next election with soneone with more appeal to the centre.
    The members clearly don't want a centrist candidate, Badenoch was miles ahead of Tugendhat for example as was Jenrick in members polls. This is not 2005 when they clearly favoured Cameron, they now want some rightwing red meat from their leader after Sunak and Hunt
    FT reporting that Reeves now saying Black Hole is £40billion
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

I don't have an issue, you can't really argue against India, Japan, Germany, Brazil and South Africa for example having permanent seats at the UNSC as long as we keep ours too with France, China, Russia and the USA
    But the reports suggest he's also looking for ideas to reduce the number of "deadlocks" at the UNSC which can only mean he wants to get rid of veto power.

Also, no, Germany, SA, Japan and Brazil at least don't deserve a seat, they have no nuclear programme and no real defence capability. India you could make a case for however, it would raise the biggest ruckus in South Asia because Pakistan wouldn't not be able to have a seat.

It has an expanding event horizon.
    There was an event yesterday I gather

a

theProle said:

Ratters said:

Taz said:

She’s at it again.

It is unclear if coke

1) makes people twats
    3) is just used by twats

Millions use it every weekend as a regular party enhancer and are perfectly sociable, similar to alcohol. Neither of the drugs are without risks or consequences though and their users would be better off sticking to mushrooms from a health perspective!

How much of that is her own doing? Economy slowing, wage growth slowing, unprecedented rise in the public sector salary bill.

She's absolutely useless, another irredeemable part of this government. I really hope those idiot Tories who stayed home on election day are happy with this. We could have had 200+ seats and forced Labour into minority government if the 1m deserters turned out.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,758

So instead of a single shafting, we should expect a double shafting from the punishment beating budget?

MaxPB said:

It absolutely won’t dilute the UK’s power of veto. It will simply make it even more impossible for the UNSC to act in precisely those moments when it needs to act under Chapter 7, I.e. when there is a genuine threat to international peace and security, as 5 other regional/global powers who might be the bad actor in that scenario will now also have the power of veto.
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

But the reports suggest he's also looking for ideas to reduce the number of "deadlocks" at the UNSC which can only mean he wants to get rid of veto power.

Also, no, Germany, SA, Japan and Brazil at least don't deserve a seat, they have no nuclear programme and no real defence capability. India you could make a case for however, it would raise the biggest ruckus in South Asia because Pakistan wouldn't not be able to have a seat.
    They are big economies though and all the main nuclear powers would be represented anyway if you added India (plus I suppose Pakistan)
  • HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

They are big economies though and all the main nuclear powers would be represented anyway if you added India (plus I suppose Pakistan)
    The UNSC isn't about economics.

If Germany want to be on the UNSC they should start spending more on defence and projecting that power.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,510

Someone else need a pay rise?

Barnesian said:

theProle said:

Ratters said:

Taz said:

She’s at it again.

The statistics and research are clear.
  • Barnesian said:

theProle said:

Ratters said:

Taz said:

She’s at it again.

The statistics and research are clear.
    No they're not.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 48,080
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

And Israel, and North Korea...
    TimT said:

MaxPB said:

It absolutely won’t dilute the UK’s power of veto. It will simply make it even more impossible for the UNSC to act in precisely those moments when it needs to act under Chapter 7, I.e. when there is a genuine threat to international peace and security, as 5 other regional/global powers who might be the bad actor in that scenario will now also have the power of veto.
    No the suggestion seems to be majority or QMV style council votes, it is a dilution of our veto power which as we know worked brilliantly for us when Labour gave up our EU veto. That was a huge act of self harm by the previous Labour government and now this new one wants to make an even bigger mistake. This kind of proposal would make the world a worse place and weaken our influence as well as the influence of the western world.
    MaxPB said:

How much of that is her own doing? Economy slowing, wage growth slowing, unprecedented rise in the public sector salary bill.

She's absolutely useless, another irredeemable part of this government. I really hope those idiot Tories who stayed home on election day are happy with this. We could have had 200+ seats and forced Labour into minority government if the 1m deserters turned out.
    It's a myth that Tory voters stayed home.

https://bsky.app/profile/robfordmancs.bsky.social/post/3l65vtphzee2c
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

But the UNSC isn't about money, it's about military power, mainly which is why both European representatives are nuclear powers with some force projection capability.
    Alcohol gets a really easy ride as a drug because it’s legal and its use is so widespread. But it’s a very hard drug, with severe social consequences around its misuse.

Professor David Nutt was hired as drugs tsar to propose an evidence-based drugs strategy for the UK.

When he showed Blair’s government the evidence, they sacked him.

(The graph in the news story below ranks most recreational drugs in terms of risk.)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11660210
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,985
    MaxPB said:

Your first part is true, but in terms of events this absolutely needed to happen. They needed to come into Government. They're going to destroy the left for a generation.
    @kaitlancollins

Roughly 252,000 ballots were cast in Georgia today, shattering the previous record of 136,000 in 2020.

https://x.com/kaitlancollins/status/1846290997354836391
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,706
    Scott_xP said:

@kaitlancollins

Roughly 252,000 ballots were cast in Georgia today, shattering the previous record of 136,000 in 2020.

Vote early, vote twice.
  • Alcohol gets a really easy ride as a drug because it’s legal and its use is so widespread. But it’s a very hard drug, with severe social consequences around its misuse.

Professor David Nutt was hired as drugs tsar to propose an evidence-based drugs strategy for the UK.

(The graph in the news story below ranks most recreational drugs in terms of risk.)

Which doesn't make it more harmful than coke, it means 1 person argues that - and people argue things that are not true all the time.

Alcohol misuse is a problem but most users do not misuse it.
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

It's a myth that Tory voters stayed home.

https://bsky.app/profile/robfordmancs.bsky.social/post/3l65vtphzee2c
    Reads like utter rubbish to me.
    MaxPB said:

You’d be better focusing your ire on the 4m twats who thought voting for Reform was a good idea. I find myself somewhat unconcerned that many of them will now be hammered for tax.

MaxPB said:

Your first part is true, but in terms of events this absolutely needed to happen. They needed to come into Government. They're going to destroy the left for a generation.
    But what's left after this government gets booted out. No UNSC veto, overseas territories given up, oil and gas development dead, record levels of tax, public sector client state bigger than ever.

The fact that our only hope is Macron and an IMF bailout to force the government to cut spending is quite awful.

Alcohol gets a really easy ride as a drug because it’s legal and its use is so widespread. But it’s a very hard drug, with severe social consequences around its misuse.

Which doesn't make it more harmful than coke, it means 1 person argues that - and people argue things that are not true all the time.

Most users don’t overuse most drugs. Yet alcohol has a particular role in violence. Unfortunate, but undeniable.

https://www.ias.org.uk/uploads/pdf/IAS report Alcohol domestic abuse and sexual assault summary briefing.pdf
    @IAPolls2022
    #NEW -
    @TheEconomist
    Forecast (10/15)

Chance of winning
    🟦 Harris: 54%
    🟥 Trump: 45%

Electoral Votes
    🟦 Harris: 276 🏆
    🟥 Trump: 262
    ——
    Swing States (chance of winning)

Michigan - 🔵 Harris 59-41%
    Nevada - 🔵 Harris 55-45%
    Pennsylvania - 🔵 Harris 53-47%
    Wisconsin - 🔵 Harris 53-47%
    Georgia - 🔴 Trump 57-43%
    Arizona - 🔴 Trump 60-40%
    North Carolina - 🔴 Trump 61-39%
    ——
    @Polymarket
    U.S. House Odds
    🟦 Democrats: 55%
    🟥 Republicans: 45%

Polymarket swing states odds 👇
    https://polymarket.com/elections

https://x.com/IAPolls2022/status/1846214599747494341
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

But what's left after this government gets booted out. No UNSC veto, overseas territories given up, oil and gas development dead, record levels of tax, public sector client state bigger than ever.

The fact that our only hope is Macron and an IMF bailout to force the government to cut spending is quite awful.
    Macron?

geoffw said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Macron?

To block these idiotic proposals to water down veto power at the UNSC.
    Scott_xP said:

@kaitlancollins

I think I am right in saying that Georgia is one of the states that doesn’t record party allegiance. Do we have any idea who they were voting for?
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I would say will the last one out remember to turn off the lights, but with Ed Miliband in charge of the power....
  • theProletheProle Posts: 1,140

a

theProle said:

Ratters said:

Taz said:

She’s at it again.

It is unclear if coke

1) makes people twats
    3) is just used by twats

I've always presumed it's 3) with a side helping of 2).

One the other hand, working as I do in the world of the C2DE, I can think of several decent blokes who got a bit of weed habit and gradually went completely mental - one of best welders I ever knew went down this road, if he's still alive now he'll be a dollie.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,347
    MaxPB said:

geoffw said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Macron?

Vetoes are seriously undemocratic.
    MaxPB said:

geoffw said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Macron?

Ah, okay, but the other UNSC members presumably also. Only our man is Skir Self-harmer

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

@kaitlancollins

I think I am right in saying that Georgia is one of the states that doesn’t record party allegiance. Do we have any idea who they were voting for?
    Does it show mail-ins by precinct? That could be one way if so?
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

But the UNSC isn't about money, it's about military power, mainly which is why both European representatives are nuclear powers with some force projection capability.
    It is about both, economic sanctions are part of its remit as much as use of military force
    geoffw said:

MaxPB said:

geoffw said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Macron?

Ah, okay, but the other UNSC members presumably also. Only our man is Skir Self-harmer

Kamala Harris could probably be baited into it. China and Russia would probably be up for it because they would unashamedly buy the votes they need to get a majority.

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I would say will the last one out remember to turn off the lights, but with Ed Miliband in charge of the power....
    ... they'll be off anyway

• Alcohol gets a really easy ride as a drug because it’s legal and its use is so widespread. But it’s a very hard drug, with severe social consequences around its misuse.

Most users don’t overuse most drugs. Yet alcohol has a particular role in violence. Unfortunate, but undeniable.

https://www.ias.org.uk/uploads/pdf/IAS report Alcohol domestic abuse and sexual assault summary briefing.pdf
    Which says absolutely nothing about causation or risk.
    Scott_xP said:

@IAPolls2022
    #NEW -
    @TheEconomist
    Forecast (10/15)

Chance of winning
    🟦 Harris: 54%
    🟥 Trump: 45%

Electoral Votes
    🟦 Harris: 276 🏆
    🟥 Trump: 262
    ——
    Swing States (chance of winning)

Michigan - 🔵 Harris 59-41%
    Nevada - 🔵 Harris 55-45%
    Pennsylvania - 🔵 Harris 53-47%
    Wisconsin - 🔵 Harris 53-47%
    Georgia - 🔴 Trump 57-43%
    Arizona - 🔴 Trump 60-40%
    North Carolina - 🔴 Trump 61-39%
    ——
    @Polymarket
    U.S. House Odds
    🟦 Democrats: 55%
    🟥 Republicans: 45%

Polymarket swing states odds 👇
    https://polymarket.com/elections

https://x.com/IAPolls2022/status/1846214599747494341

Right now I would bite your hand off for that (even although I think NC is much closer than that).
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I agree it's dire, but can you imagine Rishi had limped on and nobody would have known the Starmer Government was this useless? Would never have flown - they'd have been in before that lame duck Government's first term was out.

I think the economic situation is too dire to allow them doing anything tooo stupid. The economy will bump along and get slowly worse, but survivably so. I don't think IMF will happen. Then we get a proper right wing Government geared totally toward reviving the economy and it's game on.

Victims perceived the offender(s) to be under the influence of alcohol in 53% of violent incidents measured by the 2013/14 CSEW. This is equivalent to an estimated 704,000 ‘alcohol-related’ violent incidents. While the volume of incidents has fallen, the proportion of violent incidents that were ‘alcohol-related’ has remained relatively steady over the last ten years

Alcohol was a particularly prevalent factor in violent incidents between strangers, 64% of which were perceived to be alcohol-related (CSEW 2013/14)

In the combined datasets of the 2012/13 and 2013/14 CSEW, 70% of violent incidents occurring at the weekend, and 70% of violent incidents occurring in the evening or night, were alcohol-related

The proportions of violent incidents that were alcohol-related increased as the afternoon and evening progressed, from 23% of violent incidents occurring between noon and 6pm, to 52% were between 6pm and 10pm and 83% occurred between 10pm and midnight

70% of violent incidents which took place in a public space were alcohol-related compared with 40% of incidents that occurred in the home and 43% of incidents that happened in and around the workplace

Where injuries were sustained these were typically more severe in incidents of alcohol-related violence compared with other violent incidents. Victims in alcohol-related violent incidents were more likely to have received cuts (15%, compared with 9% of victims in non alcohol-related incidents) or to have suffered concussion or loss of consciousness (5%, compared with 1% of victims in non alcohol-related incidents) as a result of the incident

Victims perceived the offender(s) to be under the influence of alcohol in 53% of violent incidents measured by the 2013/14 CSEW. This is equivalent to an estimated 704,000 ‘alcohol-related’ violent incidents. While the volume of incidents has fallen, the proportion of violent incidents that were ‘alcohol-related’ has remained relatively steady over the last ten years

Alcohol was a particularly prevalent factor in violent incidents between strangers, 64% of which were perceived to be alcohol-related (CSEW 2013/14)

In the combined datasets of the 2012/13 and 2013/14 CSEW, 70% of violent incidents occurring at the weekend, and 70% of violent incidents occurring in the evening or night, were alcohol-related

The proportions of violent incidents that were alcohol-related increased as the afternoon and evening progressed, from 23% of violent incidents occurring between noon and 6pm, to 52% were between 6pm and 10pm and 83% occurred between 10pm and midnight

70% of violent incidents which took place in a public space were alcohol-related compared with 40% of incidents that occurred in the home and 43% of incidents that happened in and around the workplace

Where injuries were sustained these were typically more severe in incidents of alcohol-related violence compared with other violent incidents. Victims in alcohol-related violent incidents were more likely to have received cuts (15%, compared with 9% of victims in non alcohol-related incidents) or to have suffered concussion or loss of consciousness (5%, compared with 1% of victims in non alcohol-related incidents) as a result of the incident

Pretty sure weed is a common thread in a vast number of mass killings. Frankly I think if any drug was used as frequently as alcohol, it would cause far more social issues. Alcohol is a wonderful thing. Like all wonderful things, you can have too much.
  • General Sir Mike Jackson has died.

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I agree it's dire, but can you imagine Rishi had limped on and nobody would have known the Starmer Government was this useless? Would never have flown - they'd have been in before that lame duck Government's first term was out.

I think the economic situation is too dire to allow them doing anything tooo stupid. The economy will bump along and get slowly worse, but survivably so. I don't think IMF will happen. Then we get a proper right wing Government geared totally toward reviving the economy and it's game on.
    The road the IMF bailout has already begun, by 2028/29 the UK is going to need someone to step in to buy our external debt.
    theProle said:

a

theProle said:

Ratters said:

Taz said:

She’s at it again.

It is unclear if coke

1) makes people twats
    3) is just used by twats

I've always presumed it's 3) with a side helping of 2).

One the other hand, working as I do in the world of the C2DE, I can think of several decent blokes who got a bit of weed habit and gradually went completely mental - one of best welders I ever knew went down this road, if he's still alive now he'll be a dollie.
    Yes,chronic weed users are quite paranoid and aggressive when not being apathetic.

I don't support legalisation. A fat, stoned, poorly educated British workforce is not a recipie for economic success, it is accelerating our decline as surely as opiates in Appalachia.

Pretty sure weed is a common thread in a vast number of mass killings. Frankly I think if any drug was used as frequently as alcohol, it would cause far more social issues. Alcohol is a wonderful thing. Like all wonderful things, you can have too much.
    I mean, I drink. I love wine and ale, and cocktails. But booze is a hard drug. There is simply no two ways about it.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,344
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Why are Labour governments so bad at international relations? They seem to be driven by notions of fairness - which would be fine were it not for the case that every other country in the world operates by naked self-interest. This reminds me of when Blair gave up the rebate from the EU in return for a vague promise from the French to review the CAP, which, naturally, didn't happen.
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

@kaitlancollins

To put it in context, that 250k represents 5% of the total vote in GA in 2020.

General Sir Mike Jackson has died.

Don't blame it on the moonlight, don't blame it on the good times...

(Too soon?)
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,466
    edited October 15
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

IMF!? What are you smoking Max?

Tax rises will be used to address the terrible financial situation the Tories have left behind, not IMF bail-outs.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The members clearly don't want a centrist candidate, Badenoch was miles ahead of Tugendhat for example as was Jenrick in members polls. This is not 2005 when they clearly favoured Cameron, they now want some rightwing red meat from their leader after Sunak and Hunt
    What's the point of managerialism if it gives us transgender bathrooms in schools, highest level of taxation outside of war time and an online safety act that will be used to drown out conservative voices.
    If you are going to pitch at technocracy, at least be good at it.
  • Labours weight loss jabs for obese, unemployed people does feel like a desperate, out of ideas pitch like Alan Partridge to the BBC controller -"Monkey tennis? 😏🥴 Aha! 😏
    Where is @Leon when we need a ruling on whether someone is too senile to be POTUS?

Acyn
    @Acyn
    ·
    4h
    Reporter: Should Google be broken up?

Trump: Virginia cleaned up its voter rolls and got rid of thousands and thousands of bad votes

Reporter: The question was about Google

https://x.com/Acyn/status/1846242042785288257

Where is @Leon when we need a ruling on whether someone is too senile to be POTUS?

Acyn
    @Acyn
    ·
    4h

Trump: Virginia cleaned up its voter rolls and got rid of thousands and thousands of bad votes

https://x.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1846272789885460525
    Thomas Tuchel as England manager...interesting choice given his recent record.
    A good site for tracking early voting, at least in WI, NC, PA and FL. I presume they plan to add others as they have data.
    https://projects.votehub.us/pages/early-voting-tracker

A high percentage of No Party Affiliation (NPA) voting in FL - 18.3%. I wonder which way eager non-affiliated voters will break. My guess is Dem, but that could just be wishful thinking.
    The Daily Heil comes out against a German taking over the national side.

It is hard to keep up sometimes...

https://x.com/hendopolis/status/1846299383593423206
    TimT said:

A good site for tracking early voting, at least in WI, NC, PA and FL. I presume they plan to add others as they have data.
    https://projects.votehub.us/pages/early-voting-tracker

A high percentage of No Party Affiliation (NPA) voting in FL - 18.3%. I wonder which way eager non-affiliated voters will break. My guess is Dem, but that could just be wishful thinking.

Angry right to choose/abortion supporters?

Acyn
    @Acyn
    ·
    4h

Watch the whole interview. It was horrendous. Train wreck does not begin to describe it.
    @henningwehn
    A foreign England manager?! This isn’t the Brexit I was promised.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 22,035

Labours weight loss jabs for obese, unemployed people does feel like a desperate, out of ideas pitch like Alan Partridge to the BBC controller -"Monkey tennis? 😏🥴 Aha! 😏

Yeah, sounds like the kind of mad idea a government would come up with after a decade in power, rather than just 3 months...
    If England were going down the foreign manager route, why not Poch or Klopp?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 69,464
    Interesting announcement.
    Of far greater economic utility than CCS.

Highview Launches Second Phase of its Long Duration Energy Storage (LDES) Programme with 2.5GWH Power Plant at Hunterston, Ayshire

https://highviewpower.com/news_announcement/highview-launches-second-phase-of-its-long-duration-energy-storage-ldes-programme-with-2-5gwh-power-plant-at-hunterston-ayrshire/
    ..Supported by the Scottish Government, Hunterston is the first project in Highview Power’s second phase, which comprises four projects across Scotland and Northern England. The 2.5GWh LAES plant at Hunterston will deliver an 8-fold increase in storage capacity on Carrington – to deliver enough power 650,000 homes for 12.5 hours..

Located on Peel Ports site in North Ayrshire, Highview Power has already successfully secured the developing rights for Hunterston. The plant will be built in two stages; the first will be the grid connection and works to provide grid stability services; the second phase will be a full LAES build-out – the planning process will now commence for the second phase. The Hunterston project will support 1,000 jobs onsite during construction and 650 jobs in the supply chain….

…Julian Leslie, Director of Strategic Energy Planning and Chief Engineer, NESO, added: “Technology such as Highview Power’s LDES proposals will quite simply unlock the power of renewable energy in our energy system, stabilise our grid system, and allow for the delivery of a 100% zero carbon electricity system. In our Holistic Transition Pathway, we have identified a 81GWh requirement for LDES by 2030 to decarbonise the grid and this announcement paves the way to realise this goal.”

Highview Power’s programme of four will also include a project in Aberdeenshire, strategically positioned to support the onshoring of renewable energy resources from the North Sea and the critical need for grid stability at this location. Further details on this next phase will be forthcoming over the coming months.

The Department for Energy Security and Net Zero’s (DESNZ’s) recently announced investment support scheme will provide further momentum to technologies such as Highview Powers’ helping to unlock investment and accelerate decarbonisation plans.

Highview Power’s June funding round was led by the UK Infrastructure Bank (UKIB) and the British multinational energy and services company Centrica, alongside a syndicate of investors including Sumitomo, Rio Tinto, Goldman Sachs, KIRKBI and Mosaic Capital…
    Who would want to be the Editor of Bloomberg, trying to get senile Trump through an interview and trying to get him to stay even vaguely in touch with some smatterings of reality?

Thankless.

Who would want to be the Editor of Bloomberg, trying to get senile Trump through an interview and trying to get him to stay even vaguely in touch with some smatterings of reality?

Thankless.

It’s just weird watching that. He seems completely doolally.
    edited October 15
    "Tariff is the most beautiful word in the dictionary" says Trump before quickly moving onto outlining what he calls 'The Weave' which is his word for the long, rambling, incoherent digressions from whatever the question actually is.

Total meltdown at Bloomberg interview but it will not move one vote frankly.

If only the vote could be today because what is the point of anymore of this crap?

The Daily Heil comes out against a German taking over the national side.

It is hard to keep up sometimes...

https://x.com/hendopolis/status/1846299383593423206

The editorial is a disgrace. You can be for or against the appointment but the xenophobia in that comment piece is sinister.

Thankless.

It’s just weird watching that. He seems completely doolally.
    He's totally gone.

And yet. They'll elect him in three weeks.

If England were going down the foreign manager route, why not Poch or Klopp?

I would have hung on for Pep, but the Tuchel contract is only 18 months so let’s give him a whirl. Could be an interesting ride.
  • theProletheProle Posts: 1,140
    Nigelb said:

Interesting announcement.
    Of far greater economic utility than CCS.

Highview Launches Second Phase of its Long Duration Energy Storage (LDES) Programme with 2.5GWH Power Plant at Hunterston, Ayshire

https://highviewpower.com/news_announcement/highview-launches-second-phase-of-its-long-duration-energy-storage-ldes-programme-with-2-5gwh-power-plant-at-hunterston-ayrshire/
    ..Supported by the Scottish Government, Hunterston is the first project in Highview Power’s second phase, which comprises four projects across Scotland and Northern England. The 2.5GWh LAES plant at Hunterston will deliver an 8-fold increase in storage capacity on Carrington – to deliver enough power 650,000 homes for 12.5 hours..

Located on Peel Ports site in North Ayrshire, Highview Power has already successfully secured the developing rights for Hunterston. The plant will be built in two stages; the first will be the grid connection and works to provide grid stability services; the second phase will be a full LAES build-out – the planning process will now commence for the second phase. The Hunterston project will support 1,000 jobs onsite during construction and 650 jobs in the supply chain….

…Julian Leslie, Director of Strategic Energy Planning and Chief Engineer, NESO, added: “Technology such as Highview Power’s LDES proposals will quite simply unlock the power of renewable energy in our energy system, stabilise our grid system, and allow for the delivery of a 100% zero carbon electricity system. In our Holistic Transition Pathway, we have identified a 81GWh requirement for LDES by 2030 to decarbonise the grid and this announcement paves the way to realise this goal.”

Highview Power’s programme of four will also include a project in Aberdeenshire, strategically positioned to support the onshoring of renewable energy resources from the North Sea and the critical need for grid stability at this location. Further details on this next phase will be forthcoming over the coming months.

The Department for Energy Security and Net Zero’s (DESNZ’s) recently announced investment support scheme will provide further momentum to technologies such as Highview Powers’ helping to unlock investment and accelerate decarbonisation plans.

Highview Power’s June funding round was led by the UK Infrastructure Bank (UKIB) and the British multinational energy and services company Centrica, alongside a syndicate of investors including Sumitomo, Rio Tinto, Goldman Sachs, KIRKBI and Mosaic Capital…

Isn't the problem with the sort of storage that the round cycle losses are truly horrible?