Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Bobby J’s choice of middle name isn’t very popular

Comments

• DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,380
    Man U have really struggled for goals this year (and last). Two in 20 minutes was notable. So, take off both the goal scorers when we are behind. Easy this management lark.

“It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place, which you have dishonoured by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice. Ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government

Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not process?

So! Take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors. In the name of God, go!”
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,946
    ydoethur said:

Dopermean said:

So....
    Jenrick odds on, Cleverly under 4 and likely to be runner up, Harris / Trump evens and too close to call.
    Are there any value punts left or is it sit tight and pick the moment to cash out?

Indie to win Nebraska senate race.

Cruz to lose in Texas.
    There’s no real value there as there’s not much of a market yet ?
    But you could lay a Republican Senate majority, where there is a reasonably active one on Betfair Exchange.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,521
    I note that Phillipe Sands is also a passionate Remainer, and "passionately" in favour of Irish Unity

It's odd how all these things often go together, in a certain type of lefty intellectual. Anything that diminishes Britain
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,674
    Leon said:

Come on, did anyone think Labour would be THIS bad after just 3 months?

Literally handing over chunks of British territory to China in a deal where WE pay? And thereby angering the USA?

As far as I can see the only British politician applauding this (outside starmer & co) is… Jeremy Corbyn

"Chunks of British Territory" - the entire BIOT, including Diego Garcia, is roughly the size of the London Borough of Redbridge.

Perhaps we should just hand over Redbridge.....

• StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,864
    IanB2 said:

US port strike update: Further to my post of a couple of days’ back, CNN is now running a piece reassuring people there isn’t going to be a shortage of toilet paper. This is going to end well….

Do you think it will make them shit themselves?
    stodge said:

Leon said:

Literally handing over chunks of British territory to China in a deal where WE pay? And thereby angering the USA?

As far as I can see the only British politician applauding this (outside starmer & co) is… Jeremy Corbyn

"Chunks of British Territory" - the entire BIOT, including Diego Garcia, is roughly the size of the London Borough of Redbridge.

It's 60,000 sq km of Indian Ocean, twit
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,698
    edited 8:51PM
    Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

And France still has the largest oceanic territory of any state in the world. (Or second largest depending on which figures you use.)
    edited 8:52PM

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

And France still has the largest oceanic territory of any state in the world.
    And the French will never be so stupid as to hand over vast chunks of it, to a third party (allied to China) in a deal where the French themselves end up paying

I'm still somewhat boggled by the utter idiocy of all this

Even if you accept that the Chagossians' rights to return supersede the rights of the West to strategically oppose China, nothing obliged Labour to make a deal this shit with.... Mauritius
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,481
    edited 8:52PM
    Do any of you frequent travellers have any tips for a Nile Cruise. Looking at 10 nights and a budget of maybe up to a bit over £4k (2 adults) ?

Companies to avoid ?
    Recommendations ?
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,864
    Opening negotiations on paying Dublin to take Northern Ireland off our hands?

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

And France still has the largest oceanic territory of any state in the world. (Or second largest depending on which figures you use.)
    The surfing in Tahiti at the Olympics was a statement of the continued reach of France.

Maybe he’s more ambitious than that and will give them Wales.
    edited 8:55PM
    Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

So the water area is slightly larger than Croatia, okay.

Just thought I'd try to stop the flow as you seem to be having such an enjoyable evening and so many more to come.

Assuming Starmer goes for an election on Thursday May 3rd 2029 by which time presuambly he'll be as popular as the Black Death that gives you 1,673 more days of Labour Government.

Enjoy.....
    Pulpstar said:

Do any of you frequent travellers have any tips for a Nile Cruise. Looking at 10 nights and a budget of maybe up to a bit over £4k (2 adults) ?

Companies to avoid ?
    Recommendations ?

Yes: ten nights is way too much, the only great bit is Luxor/Aswan, and that's done in three nights

Do three nights then travel by air, train or car
  • ManOfGwentManOfGwent Posts: 68

Maybe he’s more ambitious than that and will give them Wales.
    They can have Gwynedd, less agitating Welsh speakers to deal with.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,108
    stodge said:

Leon said:

Come on Stodge, this is a huge piece of ocean, valuable strategically to the west and environmentally to the world. Gone. For what?
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,218
    Leon said:

I note that Phillipe Sands is also a passionate Remainer, and "passionately" in favour of Irish Unity

It's odd how all these things often go together, in a certain type of lefty intellectual. Anything that diminishes Britain

That's what these lefties want, it's going to be a long five years for this country. I just hope that the next Tory leader is able to capitalise on these mistakes and betrayals and get back in power in 2029.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,930
    stodge said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Just thought I'd try to stop the flow as you seem to be having such an enjoyable evening and so many more to come.

Assuming Starmer goes for an election on Thursday May 3rd 2029 by which time presuambly he'll be as popular as the Black Death that gives you 1,673 more days of Labour Government.

Enjoy.....
    That did make me laugh . I’m having somewhat of a schadenfreude experience here . Knowing the frustration of those who don’t support Labour realizing they’re stuck with this for years . Just as many anti-Tories felt that pain for years . So as you said enjoy ....
    edited 9:01PM
    Where does Mauritius' original claim to the Chagos Islands arise ? I can't see reference in the icj report to it. I mean the Maldives is closer.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,584
    Oh piss off you busted has-been felon.

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    8m
    Friday’s Daily TELEGRAPH: “Johnson: UK needs referendum on ECHR” #TomorrowsPapersToday
    nico679 said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Enjoy.....
    That did make me laugh . I’m having somewhat of a schadenfreude experience here . Knowing the frustration of those who don’t support Labour realizing they’re stuck with this for years . Just as many anti-Tories felt that pain for years . So as you said enjoy ....
    But you're not dumb

You know this is a terrible deal, not just for the UK, but for the whole of the West, and indeed not good for the bloody Chagossians

WHY??

Is it just "sticking it to the Tories", "hahahah look at the Imperial nostalgists crying lol"

That's all irrelevant. This is a really really stupid thing to do, and even lefty defense experts are saying it on TwiX
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,610
    Pulpstar said:

Where does Mauritius' original claim to the Chagos Islands arise ? I can't see reference in the icj report to it. I mean the Maldives is closer.

I think it's because the Chagos islands were separated from the colony of which Mauritius is the successor state.
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

That's what these lefties want, it's going to be a long five years for this country. I just hope that the next Tory leader is able to capitalise on these mistakes and betrayals and get back in power in 2029.
    We may have to go full-on Reform, mate

The Tories started this cascade of horror, maybe they need to die
    Pulpstar said:

Simple fact for a short time under British rule they were a single colonial unit. They weren't anything to do with the islands before.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,269
    I hope all the pollsters add Diego Garcia to their issues polling because it's clearly a topic that will be on everyone's lips soon, judging by comments here. LOL.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,177
    stodge said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Enjoy.....
    Actually Leon is wrong. But not in a way that helps your argument. It is not 60,000 square Km, it is 640,000 square Km. So to use your analogy, not an area slightly larger than Croatia but an area around 2.5 times the entire British Isles.

Pulpstar said:

Simple fact for a short time under British rule they were a single colonial unit. They weren't anything to do with the islands before.
    Little known fact: Mauritius wasn't even inhabited before the European colonial era

That's how stupid this is. No one was deprived of anything
    The respective front pages do make a remarkable contrast.

My hypothesis: Any historian of our era will say that the Jack Smith dossier about Donald Trump is 1000x more important than HRC emails found on Anthony Weiner's cell phone.

My question: Do we detect any subtle difference in the way these two news breaks were played?

https://x.com/JamesFallows/status/1841864564595728694
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,829
    That Lammy press conference: "I have to tell you now that no such undertaking has been received, and that consequently, this country is now at war with Ireland..."

stodge said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Enjoy.....
    Actually Leon is wrong. But not in a way that helps your argument. It is not 60,000 square Km, it is 640,000 square Km. So to use your analogy, not an area slightly larger than Croatia but an area around 2.5 times the entire British Isles.
    Apols!
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,822
    edited 9:09PM
    Pulpstar said:

Companies to avoid ?
    Recommendations ?

I went some years ago, from Aswan to Luxor, including some stops on the way.

While the archeology was interesting, and the guides expert, what really surprised me was the beauty of the landscape. It was like a trip back in time watching the farmers from the boat, life unchanged for centuries, as well as magnificent desert and cliffs.

I went with Kuoni in January, a good time for sightseeing and less food poisoning than in the summer heat.

I highly recommend, though some of the places we went are now off limits because of Islamism. I went 1990. Of all the places that I have travelled, including India, Morocco and a fair bit of Africa it is the most hassle place in terms of touts and people wanting to be guides etc. Having a trustworthy guide keeps the others away.

It's one of my trips that I most fondly remember. Cruise is far better than hotel.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,321
    "A reminder that the Republic of Mauritius is actively forcibly depopulating a largely Black island to make room for an Indian base… which Mauritians themselves have noted is repeating the wrong done to the Chagossians. These are not fit stewards."

https://x.com/legalstyleblog/status/1841932157314597147
    edited 9:07PM

I hope all the pollsters add Diego Garcia to their issues polling because it's clearly a topic that will be on everyone's lips soon, judging by comments here. LOL.

Reality check

🚨 Labour's approval rating drops to new low (-39)

✅ Approve 18% (-3)
    ❌ Disapprove 57% (+1)

Via
    @YouGov
    , 28-30 Sep (+/- vs 22 Sep)

https://x.com/LeftieStats/status/1841805425437491246
    Cookie said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Come on Stodge, this is a huge piece of ocean, valuable strategically to the west and environmentally to the world. Gone. For what?
    Mauritius votes on 30th November - the incumbent Militant Socialist Movement (calm down) faces the opposition Labour Party. In 2019 the MSM won 42 seats to Labour's 17 with the Mauritian Militant Movement on 9.

I just wonder if there's a coincidence between the timing of this agreement (which will presumably be popular in Mauritius) and the election.

As to the "For What", I don't know - there may be plenty of clauses and guarantees in the agreement of which we aren't aware.

I do agree it would be good to preserve the environmental diversity of the ocean area but the concept of the Marine Protected Area, which we set up in 2010, has been legally challenged. I have no idea whether the Mauritian Government has agreed to continue to preserve the atolls and the coral reefs - it would be good to think so.
    carnforth said:

"A reminder that the Republic of Mauritius is actively forcibly depopulating a largely Black island to make room for an Indian base… which Mauritians themselves have noted is repeating the wrong done to the Chagossians. These are not fit stewards."

https://x.com/legalstyleblog/status/1841932157314597147

That’s clearly an anti-imperialist act to strengthen the BRICs defences against the West.
    nico679 said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Enjoy.....
    But given that you have been railing against Starmer the last few days as well, do you think that it is fair that I, as someone who didn't support any of the main parties, should have a schadenfreude experience, seeing you realise you are also stuck with him for the next 4 years. Surely it is far worse to see someone who is nominally 'your side' doing stupid and harmful things and bringing your beliefs into disrepute. I now some Tories very much felt that way over the last few years.
    Those who say they would be likely to vote (X) if they were running for president:

Lincoln: 76%
    JFK: 70%
    Washington: 67%
    Theodore Roosevelt: 62%
    Jefferson: 58%
    FDR: 54%
    Barack Obama: 52%
    Eisenhower: 51%
    Reagan: 49%
    Truman: 47%

YouGov / Aug 12, 2024

https://x.com/USA_Polling/status/1841890594563699112

If there weren’t term limits…
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,829
    Nigelb said:

Those who say they would be likely to vote (X) if they were running for president:

YouGov / Aug 12, 2024

Wot - no Biden?
    edited 9:11PM
    Leon said:

nico679 said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Enjoy.....
    But you're not dumb

You know this is a terrible deal, not just for the UK, but for the whole of the West, and indeed not good for the bloody Chagossians

WHY??

Is it just "sticking it to the Tories", "hahahah look at the Imperial nostalgists crying lol"

That's all irrelevant. This is a really really stupid thing to do, and even lefty defense experts are saying it on TwiX
    Thanks I’ll take that as a huge compliment from you . Leon I just can’t muster much angst over this as there’s so much else going on that seems a lot more worrying . Starmer has been a huge disappointment and has severely pissed me off over his refusal to even think about an EU youth mobility scheme .
    stodge said:

Cookie said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Mauritius votes on 30th November - the incumbent Militant Socialist Movement (calm down) faces the opposition Labour Party. In 2019 the MSM won 42 seats to Labour's 17 with the Mauritian Militant Movement on 9.

I just wonder if there's a coincidence between the timing of this agreement (which will presumably be popular in Mauritius) and the election.

As to the "For What", I don't know - there may be plenty of clauses and guarantees in the agreement of which we aren't aware.

I do agree it would be good to preserve the environmental diversity of the ocean area but the concept of the Marine Protected Area, which we set up in 2010, has been legally challenged. I have no idea whether the Mauritian Government has agreed to continue to preserve the atolls and the coral reefs - it would be good to think so.
    OF COURSE THEY FUCKING WON'T YOU TWAT

Their main trading partner is China. And the Chinese are desperate for new fishing grounds and mineral exploitation rights. They will absolutely plunder this region, now

Why would Mauritius, a small island nation, say No to China? Jesus wept
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,610
    nico679 said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Enjoy.....
    But you're not dumb

WHY??

Thanks I’ll take that as a huge compliment from you . Leon I just can’t muster much angst over this as there’s so much else going on that seems a lot more worrying . Starmer has been a huge disappointment and has severely pissed me off over his refusal to even think about an EU youth mobility scheme .
    I thought the mobility scheme was now on, now that the pesky election is out of the way?

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    8m
    Friday’s Daily TELEGRAPH: “Johnson: UK needs referendum on ECHR” #TomorrowsPapersToday

I am truly sorry both to you and to Leon.... (Genuinely)

When I read your first line I thought you were referring to our Knapping Today correspondent. I feel suitably ashamed now.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,207
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

We may have to go full-on Reform, mate

The Tories started this cascade of horror, maybe they need to die
    Reform can't beat Labour without Tory support now and vice versa
    Leon said:

stodge said:

Cookie said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

OF COURSE THEY FUCKING WON'T YOU TWAT

Their main trading partner is China. And the Chinese are desperate for new fishing grounds and mineral exploitation rights. They will absolutely plunder this region, now

Why would Mauritius, a small island nation, say No to China? Jesus wept
    It's been 15 years since the last capital letter response from you back in the days of Gaylord Ponceyboots.

I've missed it - you've made my evening complete.

Buenos Noches...

Nigelb said:

YouGov / Aug 12, 2024

Wot - no Biden?
    Give it a couple of years…
    nico679 said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Enjoy.....
    But you're not dumb

WHY??

I entirely agree. I think the new EU Youth Mobility Offer (absenting universities) is now fine. Starmer should take it. But I am a Liberal Leaver, I never had a problem with FoM in the first place

Either way, Starmer seems to be upsetting everyone, and pleasing no one - apart froim Jeremy Corbyn today (while angering by far our most important ally, the USA)

This may go down as the worst government in the modern history of Britain. which, given the recent history of the Tories, is quite special
    stodge said:

Cookie said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

So we're making a massive strategic concession, possibly, to influence an election in Mauritius? Why?
    The Mauritian government may continue to preserve its atolls and coral reefs. Or it may let the Chinese, who essentially own Mauritius, do what they want. I know what my money is on.
  • maxhmaxh Posts: 1,071

nico679 said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Enjoy.....
    But given that you have been railing against Starmer the last few days as well, do you think that it is fair that I, as someone who didn't support any of the main parties, should have a schadenfreude experience, seeing you realise you are also stuck with him for the next 4 years. Surely it is far worse to see someone who is nominally 'your side' doing stupid and harmful things and bringing your beliefs into disrepute. I now some Tories very much felt that way over the last few years.
    Agreed although if it is someone from 'your side' there is always at least the hope that the next thing they do might counterbalance some of the stupid and harmful.

Not much chance of that in the Tory years...

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    8m

I am truly sorry both to you and to Leon.... (Genuinely)

When I read your first line I thought you were referring to our Knapping Today correspondent. I feel suitably ashamed now.
    As if I would refer to our travel correspondent in such a manner!

• SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 7,084
    I do think you've buried the lead with this article, TSE.

The big story today in the Tory leadership election is Chagos islands. Cleverly's involvement in opening negotiations is very damaging amongst Tory MPs. It plays into the idea he's a nice enough bloke but lacks intellect and ability. It may not break through outside the bubble... but we remain totally inside the bubble until the final two.
    edited 9:22PM
    A bleak thread on how we are basically surrendering all this to China, for nothing (while we pay for it)

"I will say more about the surrender of the Chagos shortly. But it's a craven decision, made against the wishes of the Chagossians. A deeply distressing development."

https://x.com/yuanyi_z/status/1841842267218190443
    Is there a significant shy Dem vote this year, or are all the stories like this just hot air ?

My wife's aunt lives in the largest senior condo in Clearwater FL, something like 15,000 residents. She says the ladies there are planning an insurrection against their MAGA husbands by voting for Harris and not telling them.
    https://x.com/ian15974/status/1841873082400579639
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,189

stodge said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Enjoy.....
    60 sq. km. of land, 54,000 sq. km. of water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Indian_Ocean_Territory
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Little known fact: Mauritius wasn't even inhabited before the European colonial era

But that's like saying there were no white folks in America or Australia before the colonial era.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,454

The big story today in the Tory leadership election is Chagos islands. Cleverly's involvement in opening negotiations is very damaging amongst Tory MPs. It plays into the idea he's a nice enough bloke but lacks intellect and ability. It may not break through outside the bubble... but we remain totally inside the bubble until the final two.

You can open negotiations with absolutely no intent of agreeing to anything.

Unfortunately it wouldn't be very diplomatic to say so.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,439
    edited 9:24PM
    Leon said:

A bleak thread on how we are basically surrendering all this to China, for nothing (while we pay for it)

"I will say more about the surrender of the Chagos shortly. But it's a craven decision, made against the wishes of the Chagossians. A deeply distressing development."

https://x.com/yuanyi_z/status/1841842267218190443

Is it a coincidence that the government have signalled they are going back to a lot more friendly engagement with China as we saw in early years of Coalition government?

Yeah, I think this finishes Cleverly - or it should

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

But that's like saying there were no white folks in America or Australia before the colonial era.
    No it's not. There were no humans on Mauritius until the Europeans. Do you understand that?

nico679 said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Enjoy.....
    It’s not fair I agree . I’m shocked at how awful Labour have been but Bozo re-appears to soften the pain and reminds me of his time in office .
    Leon said:

Reality check

✅ Approve 18% (-3)
    ❌ Disapprove 57% (+1)

Via
    @YouGov

And we haven't even had the punishment beating budget yet...nor the already programmed in rises in IC / NI left by the last government.
    Someone mentioned "It Ain't Half Hot Mum" upthread, it's on That's TV2 (Freeview 56) at 10.50pm.
    Leon said:

I agree with the first part of your statement, albeit not with the second.

This clearly matters to Tory MPs and clearly helps Tugendhat over Cleverly in a significant way.

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

It's nothing like that. There were no people in Mauritius AT ALL. Hence, dodos.

You can open negotiations with absolutely no intent of agreeing to anything.

Unfortunately it wouldn't be very diplomatic to say so.
    If you're explaining, you're losing. That's Cleverly's problem.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,207
    edited 9:31PM
    Leon said:

I think Jenrick v Tugendhat looks a more likely final 2 tonight, with Jenrick winning but making Tugendhat his Shadow Foreign Secretary or Shadow Defence Secretary

Leon said:

This clearly matters to Tory MPs and clearly helps Tugendhat over Cleverly in a significant way.
    Cleverly has eased out to 4.5

Leon said:

Was this just done to spike Cleverly's leadership bid? In some ways I almost hope so. At least it would be a reason. It would show some strategic thinking, albeit evil strategic thinking.
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

If you go to Mauritius - as I have - they are quite open and happy about this. They regard it as a good thing. There is no lingering racial resentment, everyone is the same, a newcomer (even if centuries old). The island has its problems but they also have a booming tourist sector and GREAT food (thanks to the intense mixing of English, French, Indian, African, Chinese, Malay, etc)

It's quite a prosperous place. It's not Monaco but it ain't The Congo, either

The concept that we are PAYING them to give them British territory leaves me quite befuzzled
    The latest leader ratings, I was quite surprised how poor the unknown stuntman's were.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

No it's not. There were no humans on Mauritius until the Europeans. Do you understand that?
    Probably. The Austronesians reached Madagascar, not that far away to the WEST of Mauritius.

stodge said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Enjoy.....

land that will be swallowed by the sea with the changing climate.

99 years is enough frankly.
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

So, are you saying that we should keep Mauritius too?

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Was this just done to spike Cleverly's leadership bid? In some ways I almost hope so. At least it would be a reason. It would show some strategic thinking, albeit evil strategic thinking.
    I know what you mean but sadly I think not. I reckon this is just clueless midwit lefty virtue signalling, and as others have noted, Starmer probably did not expect to be in this dire and unpopular place, he probably thought he could squeeze this out during the honeymoon and his lefty UN lawyer friends would all love him so "Fair Dos", and the kerfuffle would fizzle swiftly

I see no evidence of strategic thought from Labour. They're not playing 5D chess. They're not even playing 1D chess. They are barely playing "Snap"
    Foxy said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

So, are you saying that we should keep Mauritius too?

Oh, FFS, stop being a moron
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

I doubt it.

Ultimately, I think the decision was right - and I know it places me at odds with a few people here.

I'm simply making the point that it clearly hurts Cleverly badly in the process he's in.
    Blair wouldn’t have done this.

https://x.com/tomhfh/status/1841794543256993896

Tony Blair to Jonathan Powell and Alastair Campbell after the handover of Hong Kong:

"We shouldn't lose any more territory."

"After Hong Kong, we mustn't lose any more territory. Britain's not big enough."

Tony Blair to Jonathan Powell and Alastair Campbell after the handover of Hong Kong:

"After Hong Kong, we mustn't lose any more territory. Britain's not big enough."

Are you suggesting that we need lebensraum?

Is that why we repopulated the islands, and refused the islanders British citizenship?

FFS. Quarter of a century has passed.

edited 9:43PM

stodge said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Enjoy.....

No, it won't. They are coral islands.

The coral grows best in shallow water and breaks up in the seas to form a low lying island. They cannot grow any higher than the waves.

If the sea level rises, so will the coral, and so will the island.

The Bahamas originally formed on a base which is now _4000m_ below the sea surface. They have survived 200 million years of climate change.

Only concreting over the surface and preventing these natural processes will sink the islands (yes, you, Maldives).

He did Iraq instead...

He’s the yardstick for modern Labour PMs.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,448

Bring back Tony as PM.
    The United Nations Palestinian refugee agency (UNRWA), the International Court of Justice and U.N. chief Antonio Guterres are among the favourites for this year's Nobel Peace Prize, experts said, in a year marked by the wars in Gaza and Ukraine.

https://www.reuters.com/world/nobel-peace-prize-could-honour-unrwa-icj-un-chief-guterres-2024-10-03/

Well they would certainly be interesting choices.

stodge said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Enjoy.....

The coral grows best in shallow water and breaks up in the seas to form a low lying island. They cannot grow any higher than the waves.

The Bahamas originally formed on a base which is now _4000m_ below the sea surface. They have survived 200 million years of climate change.

Only concreting over the surface and preventing these natural processes will sink the islands (yes, you, Maldives).
    But the Bahamas were much, much larger during the lower sea level during the Ice Age, say 20,000 years ago. Same with the Maldives.
    By the way, does this mean that the sun has finally set on the British Empire?

Pitcairn and BIOT had kept the never ending daylight going.
    edited 9:50PM
    So Chagos.

A place consisting a few bits of coral in the ocean and of which very few had heard of until this lunchtime.

Suddenly now a new front in the culture wars as a ton of twitter-based and GB News radical right decide it is the end of Olde England as we know it.

Pathetic.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,673

The latest leader ratings, I was quite surprised how poor the unknown stuntman's were.

He needs to keep going bigger or he’s going to get forgotten. It’s time to start jumping double deckers on motorbikes.

Yep, no way would Blair have done this

Blair had a sense of the British national interest, and was a genuine patriot, I think. Iraq was a monumental blunder but he was and is also geopolitically intelligent. He would have dismissed this idea - PAYING to cede British sovereign territory - as laughably mad. I would take him back in a second, he's clever and cunning

Starmer is a vain, poseur lawyer with a middling brain and deep moral and social insecurities, he is a disaster and the disaster will get worse

stodge said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Enjoy.....

But the Bahamas were much, much larger during the lower sea level during the Ice Age, say 20,000 years ago. Same with the Maldives.
    I don't think the Maldives are any bigger?

The islands will not sink unless the coral is killed off.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,564

So Chagos.

A place consisting a few bits of coral in the ocean and of which very few had heard of until this lunchtime.

Suddenly now a new front in the culture wars as a ton of twitter-based and GB News radical right decide it is the end of Olde England as we know it.

Pathetic.

One day they'll worry about Wales. Or, god forfend, Cornwall.

It does is the southern Hemisphere winter.

Pitcairn!
    Gibraltar!
    Akrotiri und Dekhelia!
    Falklands!
    Guernsey!
    Jersey!
    Man!
    Bermuda!
    Ascension!
    Tristan da Cunha!
    St Helena!
    Anguilla!
    Caymans!
    Montserrat!
    Turks und Caicos!
    South Georgia!
    British Virgin Islands!
    British Antarctica!

So Chagos.

Pathetic.

It is in a pivotal strategic position in the Indian Ocean, we have a vital base there (as well as environmental protection of a huge oceanic reserve). We have ceded all this and endangered the US/UK base - for literally nothing, or worse, we are paying. Recall we are now likely engaged in a 100 year Cold War with China - and this makes that war notably harder

And the reason for doing this is the Chagossians? - who, it turns out, are deeply unhappy about this and weren't even consulted. How bad does it have to be before you admit, yeah, this is shit

stodge said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Enjoy.....

I don't think the Maldives are any bigger?

The islands will not sink unless the coral is killed off.
    They WERE bigger during the Ice Age.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,785
    edited 9:56PM
    Leon said:

Reality check

✅ Approve 18% (-3)
    ❌ Disapprove 57% (+1)

Via
    @YouGov

Polls must be wrong.

Starmer is a political titan who will restore competence to our government, honesty to our politics and prestige to our position in the world. He is the kind of incorruptible, supremely competent technocrat we've been crying out for since the departure of his alter ego, Ted Heath.

And anybody who points out that he's actually a strikingly centitled, arrogant and corrupt medocrity who's never held a real private sector job, and has no political antennae or governmental competence is clearly either wilfully blind or a member of the BNP.
  • PhilPhil Posts: 2,215
    Leon said:

So Chagos.

Pathetic.

It is in a pivotal strategic position in the Indian Ocean, we have a vital base there (as well as environmental protection of a huge oceanic reserve). We have ceded all this and endangered the US/UK base - for literally nothing, or worse, we are paying. Recall we are now likely engaged in a 100 year Cold War with China - and this makes that war notably harder

And the reason for doing this is the Chagossians? - who, it turns out, are deeply unhappy about this and weren't even consulted. How bad does it have to be before you admit, yeah, this is shit
    1) This is a bit shit

but

2) As I understand it we now have a 100 year lease on DG which we can renew unilaterally at the end of the current term. Which puts DG on a stronger legal footing than it was before I suspect.
    https://x.com/politicoeurope/status/1841807740324208912

Washington and Beijing are leaving the European Union lagging behind, French President Emmanuel Macron said in pessimistic remarks.

“The EU could die, we are on a verge of a very important moment,” he said.

It's certainly got The League of Empire Loyalists harrumphing.

stodge said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Enjoy.....

Wrong. The Chagos MPA is 640,000 square Km.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chagos_Marine_Protected_Area
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,555
    Leon said:

Yep, no way would Blair have done this

Blair had a sense of the British national interest, and was a genuine patriot, I think. Iraq was a monumental blunder but he was and is also geopolitically intelligent. He would have dismissed this idea - PAYING to cede British sovereign territory - as laughably mad. I would take him back in a second, he's clever and cunning

Starmer is a vain, poseur lawyer with a middling brain and deep moral and social insecurities, he is a disaster and the disaster will get worse
    Starmer is showing himself up to be an incredibly poor PM, in my opinion. A shame, because I thought he had tremendous promise. We could’ve done with a steady, strong leader at the wheel after the last 8 or so years of crisis and chaos. It’s still early days, but the signs really aren’t good.