Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Cash will be obsolete within a generation – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,045
edited September 13 in General
Cash will be obsolete within a generation – politicalbetting.com

20% of Britons now say they typically use their phone to pay when out shopping, rising to 38% among 18-24 year oldsAll BritonsCard: 62%Phone: 20%Cash: 15%18-24yr oldsCard: 42%Phone: 38%Cash: 15%65+yr oldsCard: 71%Cash: 22%Phone: 6%https://t.co/Ya2nWoMFmD pic.twitter.com/B9YHDs9xwr

Read the full story here

Comments

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,992
    Cash will still be there even if most use card or phone.

Slot machines, tips in restaurants, charity collection boxes etc will all still use cash
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,572
    Using the phone is just so much more convenient.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,317
    HYUFD said:

Slot machines, tips in restaurants, charity collection boxes etc will all still use cash

All of those things are done with cards/phones now
  • Its obsolete today.

Just like cheques 20 years ago some people haven't caught up yet.
    HYUFD said:

All of those are viable with contactless already today.
  • HYUFD said:

And, beyond a certain point, processing cash will become more hassle than it's worth. Fewer and fewer transactions to sustain the cost of all the background infrastructure needed to make it work.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,992

Its obsolete today.

HYUFD said:

I still even occasionally use cheques eg to pay in advance for dinners I am going to
  • RobD said:

Using my Apple watch is even easier.

Apple are in my bad books today, I have to wait until the middle of October to receive my new iPhone 16 Pro Max.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,516
    HYUFD said:

I will admit I do still have to use cash for just 3 things and it is a pain. They are haircut, dog grooming and dog sitter. None of which should be necessary and which are a pain.

The 3 you give don't seem to be an issue anymore. Restaurant tips always take a card now, even if you offer cash. You never see slot machines that take cash anymore. In Las Vegas last year I saw no slot machines that took cash. It was cards, vouchers or plug your phone in. Ditto charity boxes and beggars now have machines.

Many places refuse cash. You can't use cash in any pub in Southwold and I now notice places advertising cash taken as if it is unusual. Eg one of the cafes on Southwold beach.

I never carry it. In Iceland a few years ago we went the whole holiday cashless.

It is doomed.

• RobD said:

100%

I added all my cards to my phone in 2020 and have never routinely carried my wallet with me since. Actual cards and cash are both obsolete to me now.

Since already carrying my phone at all times anyway, dumping all the cards and not worrying about cash is far more convenient. Especially if you use loyalty cards etc, I have all of those saved within my payment app too, so I can swipe between all my loyalty cards to use my clubcard or whatever, and swipe between my payment cards too, all handled with just the one device I always have on me anyway.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,858
    Two observations from a friend in the US, who spends part of each year in Arizona, and part in Pennsylvania: From Arizona last winter: The McCain supporters and the Trumpistas are locked in a "death match" over the control of the party.

From Pennsylvania, currently: He has seen almost no political ads -- so far. So, for many voters, the campaign there has not really begun.

(I haven't seen many ads for state races here in Washington, so far.)
  • kjh said:

HYUFD said:

I will admit I do still have to use cash for just 3 things and it is a pain. They are haircut, dog grooming and dog sitter. None of which should be necessary and which are a pain.

The 3 you give don't seem to be an issue anymore. Restaurant tips always take a card now, even if you offer cash. You never see slot machines that take cash anymore. In Las Vegas last year I saw no slot machines that took cash. It was cards, vouchers or plug your phone in. Ditto charity boxes and beggars now have machines.

Many places refuse cash. You can't use cash in any pub in Southwold and I now notice places advertising cash taken as if it is unusual. Eg one of the cafes on Southwold beach.

I never carry it. In Iceland a few years ago we went the whole holiday cashless.

It is doomed.

Why not just ping the dog groomer the money? Can do that with banking apps etc nowadays dead easily, that's how we pay the window cleaner.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,895
    edited September 13
    I have a small float that I use for FB/gumtree purchases, so it's not completely dead to me. Otherwise I use my watch.

Any charity that is taking cash only donations will be missing out on a huge swathe of revenue.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,674
    And what will I pay my drug dealer with?

Glad to see this forum finally becoming bullish on crypto.
  • It probably will be but I don't expect to know if it is !!!!!
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,225
    I must admit, I carry cash less and less. Now you can do micropayments with your phone, what's the point?
    Those who keep citing the popular vote for the presidency in recent US elections, should also look at the total popular vote for House, since 1994. You'll find a mixed result there.

(There are some technical problems with that total vote, since the parties do not run candidates for all seats, but it would be possible to approximate those votes if you wanted to .)
  • Andy_JS said:

It's important to have a variety of ways of paying for things so that if something goes wrong with one or more of them you've got lots of backup systems.

I do, I have American Express, Visa, and Mastercard.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,351
    FPT
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Trump is ahead of Harris on the issues that matter most to voters - the economy and immigration. For me, that makes him favourite, whatever national polling might say. Harris is a better candidate than Biden but she is still a weak one. Any other Republican would be home and dry by now. Trump's unique toxicity makes it much closer than it would otherwise be but I'd still be very surprised (pleasantly so) if he did did not win.

Pennsylvania continues to be a major headache for Harris. She's only ahead by around 1% according to 538.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2024-election-forecast/pennsylvania/
    Harris can still win without Pennsylvania but she would need to win Georgia or NC instead and hold Michigan and Wisconsin and Nevada
    True but it's very unlikely to happen. The chances are whoever wins PA will win the election.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,660
    Many would argue that it is already obsolete - the question is will it still be present and usable. Non-digital watches, paintings, and books are also obsolete, but still survive because people quite like them.
    I am not ready to make a formal prediction, but as of now I think Harris has the edge, the Republicans are likely to win control of the Senate, and the Republicans may lose control of the House. Which would be interesting, as far as policy goes.
  • kyf_100 said:

You seem to have missed two letters when describing crypto.
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    kyf_100 said:

crypto
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,504
    edited September 13
    I wanted to be hugely pro-cash as befits my fuddy-duddy retired colonel golf club profile.

But realise that you can go weeks and weeks and never need it. You can, as @rcs1000 notes, pay for something for 79p by phone and so it really is not necessary for day to day life.

Plus every time you do get a pound coin in change if you have used cash, it is effectively dead money (generous offers by PB-ers to take all such coins off my hands notwithstanding).
    edited September 13
    OKC - Corruption is not a thing of the past in American states and cities. The New York City police commissioner has resigned because of an ongoing investigation. https://abc7ny.com/post/nypd-commissioner-edward-caban-resigns-fbi-probe-nyc-eric-adams/15295366/

Illinois has been so corrupt, so long, that the state is bankrupt. And so on.

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

It is doomed.

Why not just ping the dog groomer the money? Can do that with banking apps etc nowadays dead easily, that's how we pay the window cleaner.
    We would if they would let us. We pay our window cleaner and gardener by bank trf. I do bank trf all the time. I notice @hyufd says he pays in advance for a dinner he is going to by cheque. I haven't used a cheque in 10 years. Always a bank trf if I can't use a card. But some people insist on cash. I wonder why? It is either they are very old fashioned or dishonest.
  • kyf_100 said:

XMR is perfectly fine for drugs but that's no reason to invest in it as the price shouldn't appreciate appreciably.
    kjh said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

It is doomed.

I haven't used a cheque in 10 years.
    ???

How do you pay for dinner at White's when you are there as a guest and want to pay your way.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,225

RobD said:

Apple are in my bad books today, I have to wait until the middle of October to receive my new iPhone 16 Pro Max.
    Why would anyone get a new Apple, when you can get folding phones like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF2qgRXADOc
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,495
    edited September 13
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Why would anyone get a new Apple, when you can get folding phones like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF2qgRXADOc
    Huawei though.

So many red flags there.

At work nobody is allowed to bring a Huawei device on premises.
    Andy_JS said:

It's important to have a variety of ways of paying for things so that if something goes wrong with one or more of them you've got lots of backup systems.

I haven't carried cash for years now and I might come unstuck if payment points go down, but it hasn't happened to me yet.

It is a pain though having to take it out for the 3 occasions we do have to use it (see other post).
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,042
    Andy_JS said:

FPT

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Trump is ahead of Harris on the issues that matter most to voters - the economy and immigration. For me, that makes him favourite, whatever national polling might say. Harris is a better candidate than Biden but she is still a weak one. Any other Republican would be home and dry by now. Trump's unique toxicity makes it much closer than it would otherwise be but I'd still be very surprised (pleasantly so) if he did did not win.

Pennsylvania continues to be a major headache for Harris. She's only ahead by around 1% according to 538.

Harris can still win without Pennsylvania but she would need to win Georgia or NC instead and hold Michigan and Wisconsin and Nevada
    True but it's very unlikely to happen. The chances are whoever wins PA will win the election.
    538 has Pennsylvania about 17% chance of being the tipping point state, so important but there are other paths in a close race.

Of course in a landslide Pennsylvania will go to the winner like all the other swing states.
  • Andy_JS said:

I have on my phone my Amex, Debit card and Visa Credit Card. That's plenty of variety.

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Huawei though.

So many red flags there.

How very dare you. It was none other than OGS himself who put me onto Xiaomi phones and they have been fantastic. That the CCP knows my every move is but a minor inconvenience, up with which I am able to put.

Those who keep citing the popular vote for the presidency in recent US elections, should also look at the total popular vote for House, since 1994. You'll find a mixed result there.

(There are some technical problems with that total vote, since the parties do not run candidates for all seats, but it would be possible to approximate those votes if you wanted to .)

I think most people here are familiar with the House as it is the most similar to the UK House of Commons, with representatives representing individual constituencies.

The Electoral College is a stupid system that no other democracy in the world uses.
    TOPPING said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

It is doomed.

???

How do you pay for dinner at White's when you are there as a guest and want to pay your way.
    Whites? Card. Or is this a club and only the members can pay? Not used to such things, but I would do a bank trf on my phone there and then to the host.
  • TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Huawei though.

So many red flags there.

How very dare you. It was none other than OGS himself who put me onto Xiaomi phones and they have been fantastic. That the CCP knows my every move is but a minor inconvenience, up with which I am able to put.
    Apple is the best.

There is no further discussion to be had.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,762
    edited September 13
    kjh said:

Andy_JS said:

I haven't carried cash for years now and I might come unstuck if payment points go down, but it hasn't happened to me yet.

It is a pain though having to take it out for the 3 occasions we do have to use it (see other post).
    My local morrisons has a cash only notice up often enough that it would be inconvenient.Largely due to the mobile strength being patchy in my area and the machine for cards and phones not having a connection (estimate probably 15 to 20 times a year). I always have cash on me for those occasions
    kjh said:

TOPPING said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

It is doomed.

???

Whites? Card. Or is this a club and only the members can pay? Not used to such things, but I would do a bank trf on my phone there and then to the host.
    Sadly not possible.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,895
    Andy_JS said:

If things go really wrong, I have my phone set up to tell the paramedics to scavenge my organs.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,444
    edited September 13
    I was searching for an old important document yesterday evening, and came across a collection of old chequebook stubs. I used to get through chequebooks quite quickly - more than one a year at one point - but the last cheque I wrote was in March 2015.

I looked at all the people I used to pay with cheques - nursery, tradesmen, membership fees, etc - and it was obvious why I never used cheques anymore.

Why would I bother to write a cheque to pay these people when it was so easy to pay them in cash?
  • rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Huawei though.

So many red flags there.

Was your use of “red flags” here an example of the subtle puns for which you are so well known?

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Huawei though.

So many red flags there.

Apple is the best.

It is slightly (ok hugely) sad to see how completely people fall for such marketing.
    TOPPING said:

kjh said:

TOPPING said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

It is doomed.

???

Sadly not possible.
    I'm banned I guess. Won't be the first place I get banned from.
  • TOPPING said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

It is doomed.

???

I don't know what White's is but if I want to transfer someone some money, I transfer them some money.

If I want to pay a business, I pay the business.

All possible with no more than a phone.

What would I need a cheque for?
  • TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Huawei though.

So many red flags there.

Apple is the best.

It is slightly (ok hugely) sad to see how completely people fall for such marketing.
    I’ve been an Apple user since 1994.

Only ever had one blue screen of death.
    Pagan2 said:

kjh said:

Andy_JS said:

My local morrisons has a cash only notice up often enough that it would be inconvenient.Largely due to the mobile strength being patchy in my area and the machine for cards and phones not having a connection (estimate probably 15 to 20 times a year). I always have cash on me for those occasions
    I'll be stuffed then. Actually my pub's IT went down one night, but I am well enough known to be able to run a tab. Elsewhere I'm snookered.
  • rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Huawei though.

So many red flags there.

Was your use of “red flags” here an example of the subtle puns for which you are so well known?
    Yes.

I even got in a subtle historical reference in as well.

If you don’t think Huawei is an organ of the Chinese state then you believe the same People’s Volunteer Army and their intervention in the Korean War.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,674

kyf_100 said:

XMR is perfectly fine for drugs but that's no reason to invest in it as the price shouldn't appreciate appreciably.
    Hah. True that.

But it's all very well and good if you're getting it in advance via telegram or the dark web, but what about that ill-advised second 8 ball at 4am? Where a handful of twenties collectively hastily gathered from the people in the room who are "up for it" is far more convenient than one person beaning his gourd off going Coinbase -> Cake wallet -> XMR -> Dealer (a process which, I'm told, can take several hours, apparently). Then asking everyone else to venmo their share the next day...

Similarly, note the pong of stale weed on every high street from Land's End to John'O'Scrotes. All of it bought with, I'd imagine, a twenty pound note or two. As long as the market for drugs exists - and that market is estimated at £9-10 _billion_ a year in the UK - there will be a market for frictionless, anonymous currency. Crypto might get there eventually, but until then, that's 9-10 billion (less whatever gets bought in crypto) happening in cash payments happening annually.

TOPPING said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

It is doomed.

???

I don't know what White's is but if I want to transfer someone some money, I transfer them some money.

To pay for dinner there.

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Huawei though.

So many red flags there.

Apple is the best.

Thing is, if you buy a phone for £200-300 it makes you a lot less worried about losing it, dropping it on the floor, etc. Plus if you are in the google ecosystem then you just log in a la your Apple ID and on you go on a new machine.
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,267
    edited September 13
    I wish I could disagree, but I can’t.

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Huawei though.

So many red flags there.

Yes.

If you don’t think Huawei is an organ of the Chinese state then you believe the same People’s Volunteer Army and their intervention in the Korean War.
    For all those remainers that hate cash perhaps a brexit benefit

 a proposalfor a regulation on the legal tender of euro banknotes and coins that provides
    for detailed rules to preserve the effectiveness of the legal tender status of cash in
    practice and thus for citizens to have access to the physical form of central bank money.
    The scope and effects of the legal tender of cash is based on Article 133 TFEU;
  • rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Huawei though.

So many red flags there.

Yes.

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Huawei though.

So many red flags there.

Yes.

I wish I could disagree, but I can’t.
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Huawei though.

So many red flags there.

Apple is the best.

Thing is, if you buy a phone for £200-300 it makes you a lot less worried about losing it, dropping it on the floor, etc. Plus if you are in the google ecosystem then you just log in a la your Apple ID and on you go on a new machine.
    Though if it's the only way you have of paying for anything then losing it might be slightly inconvenient.
  • I obviously haven't got the hang of editing messages on my phone…
    kamski said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Huawei though.

So many red flags there.

Apple is the best.

Though if it's the only way you have of paying for anything then losing it might be slightly inconvenient.
    True but it's £200 worth of inconvenience and you can get another android phone super quickly, rather than £1,500.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,600
    The Euro could be a casualty of the end of cash. It would suddenly become much easier for a country to flip to a national currency the next time there's a crisis.
    TOPPING said:

kamski said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Huawei though.

So many red flags there.

Apple is the best.

True but it's £200 worth of inconvenience and you can get another android phone super quickly, rather than £1,500.
    Go CeX they give you a 2 year warranty and get a better phone for same price
  • Pagan2 said:

 a proposalfor a regulation on the legal tender of euro banknotes and coins that provides
    for detailed rules to preserve the effectiveness of the legal tender status of cash in
    practice and thus for citizens to have access to the physical form of central bank money.

As I understand it, the Germans have been very reluctant to move away from cash. I don’t know if that is still the case.
    Pagan2 said:

TOPPING said:

kamski said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Huawei though.

So many red flags there.

Apple is the best.

Also true. I find that warranties aren't always as reliable as you would like.

My current phone (of 3yrs standing) is a Xiaomi Redmi cost me £170 from the company itself and hasn't put a foot wrong. Not the fastest out there but perfect for what I want or need.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481
    edited September 13

Pagan2 said:

As I understand it, the Germans have been very reluctant to move away from cash. I don’t know if that is still the case.
    That's very much the case - Eek twin A didn't buy something last week as the stall was cash only (even though the item was €140) and the only cashpoint was in a bank that looked locked (the area where the cashpoint was wasn't actually locked but she only discovered that far later).

The only other place I've had to get cash out recently is a shop in Antalya - which given that he sold hand made tile mosaics wasn't that surprising.
    TOPPING said:

Pagan2 said:

TOPPING said:

kamski said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Huawei though.

So many red flags there.

Apple is the best.

Also true. I find that warranties aren't always as reliable as you would like.

My current phone (of 3yrs standing) is a Xiaomi Redmi cost me £170 from the company itself and hasn't put a foot wrong. Not the fastest out there but perfect for what I want or need.
    Never needed yet to use the warranty and my last four phones have been from there so no idea how good the warranty is in practise
    edited September 13
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

It is doomed.

???

To pay for dinner there.
    I've just looked up Whites. Apologies for my ignorance.

I have this very strong feeling that me not having a cheque book is not going to be an inconvenience to them or me any time soon.

A bit like James May on being banned from Clarkson's pub. He said it was like being banned from the golf club. It didn't matter as he had no intention of going to either anyway.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    edited September 13
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cx2x202v2ejo

A teacher who carried a placard at a pro-Palestinian protest depicting Rishi Sunak and Suella Braverman as coconuts has been found not guilty of a racially aggravated public order offence.

EDIT: I should read the story. This was a bloody judge!
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,449

RobD said:

What colour are you going for?
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,442
    edited September 13
    kamski said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Huawei though.

So many red flags there.

Apple is the best.

Not really, far less worrying than losing your wallet.

I keep a spare old phone home as an emergency backup. I smashed my phone last year, I got home and took my old device out, put in the SIM card, logged onto my apps and all my cards were transferred over and I was back up and running immediately.

Olden days I'd have had to wait to get new cards printed and sent out, and even older days any cash I had would have been just lost.

When I got my new phone then I just transferred everything back immediately.

Plus its an option to have everything on your watch too, so can use that when phone is unavailable.

TOPPING said:

kamski said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Huawei though.

So many red flags there.

Apple is the best.

I take the view that anything I’m going to be using for hours a day ( so a mattress, laptop, phone, shoes, that one chair in just the right spot in front of the TV/in the sweet spot of your speakers) should be as “costly … as thy purse can buy”.
    Wow you use your phone hours a day? I pick mine up about once every 3 days
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,449
    Cash has been used for exchange for 4 or 5,000 years if not longer.

It 'aint going to disappear.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,726

Its obsolete today.

HYUFD said:

They're viable, but not ubiquitous.

I reckon cash has a good decade left in it. I still got to the cashpoint, and use it to pay for coffee etc, but largely to get change for the homeless guys.
  • TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

It is doomed.

???

To pay for dinner there.
    No idea why I'd need a chequebook to pay for dinner there, I'd pay contactless same as I do everywhere else and if they don't accept contactless I'll take my business elsewhere.

I don't have a chequebook. 🤷‍♂️
    edited September 13

Cash has been used for exchange for 4 or 5,000 years if not longer.

Horses were used for transportation for over 5,000 years too.
    Off topic: Congratulations! I see that "Czar" Putin has expelled some of your diplomats. I think this reflects credit on both your current prime minister, and his predecessor. And, probably, Boris Johnson.

Time for a new Bond film, possibly?
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,268
    edited September 13
    I'm obviously a trailblazer, being one of the mere 6% of over-65s who uses their phone to pay for pretty much everything.
    More importantly, I need to use the app on my phone to claim the 10% discount that my local offers on every pint I purchase.
    eek said:

Pagan2 said:

That's very much the case - Eek twin A didn't buy something last week as the stall was cash only (even though the item was €140) and the only cashpoint was in a bank that looked locked (the area where the cashpoint was wasn't actually locked but she only discovered that far later).

The only other place I've had to get cash out recently is a shop in Antalya - which given that he sold hand made tile mosaics wasn't that surprising.
    Cash is still king in Germany. Not going anywhere anytime soon, at least for smaller payments.

I'm probably one of the few people here who actually works on a till, and cash is still used more frequently than cards. I see lots of people getting their wallets out and passing over the 2 or 3 cards they have to pull out some cash.

Cash payers are much more likely to leave a tip.

And it happens at least once a day that someone tries to pay with a card and it doesn't work, so they pay cash. And more often that someone tries to pay by phone and it asks them to "insert their card".

Some people on here have never had the experience of needing cash, but they tend to be the people I anyway suspect of rarely leaving their basement, and doing all their shopping online.

I also don't personally know any child who doesn't get their pocket money in hard cash.

Its obsolete today.

HYUFD said:

I still use cheques occasionally.
    edited September 13
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

till you lose your phone
    As far as making payments are concerned it is less inconvenient and more easily replaceable than losing your wallet.

Still have a watch even if lose phone, and can transfer onto a brand new (or old) phone just by logging into the apps. Easily done. No waiting for replacement cards to be issued.
    kamski said:

Andy_JS said:

FPT

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

538 has Pennsylvania about 17% chance of being the tipping point state, so important but there are other paths in a close race.

Of course in a landslide Pennsylvania will go to the winner like all the other swing states.
    I know the chance is being put at 17% but in reality I'd put it at more like 60%.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,660
    FPT:
    kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

Nigelb said:

Mught we have a couple of these on PB ?

‘Plants are trying to kill you’: why carnivore influencers claim we should eat only meat
    https://www.theguardian.com/food/2024/sep/12/carnivore-diet-meat-plants
    ...“Plants are trying to kill you,” Chaffee says within the first few minutes of our first video call. “We have some defenses, and that’s why some plants are edible, but they still cause harm with long-term exposure over years and decades,” he continues, comparing the long-term health impacts of eating salad to those of cigarettes and alcohol.

Chaffee is one of the leading exponents of the carnivore diet, the latest trend in the wellness universe, in which people claim they turned around their health – and their lives – by eating bowls piled high with ground beef and boiled eggs...

He is exaggerating somewhat but this is true: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_defense_against_herbivory

It wouldn't be true of a fruit like an apple, where the tree 'wants' it to be eaten, but where plants being eaten isn't a part of their lifecycle they have these compounds.
    Except it's bollocks.

There are also actually poisonous fruits.
    Um, of course there are poisonous fruits. I said of a fruit like an apple.
    Of course there are fruits that aren't poisonous. Just like there are salads that aren't poisonous. Just pointing out that your 'argument' is shit.
    It has nothing to do with being 'poisonous' and I'm not making 'an argument' I am highlighting an established fact. Of course the vegetables we eat are not 'poisonous' or we would have stopped eating them millennia ago. It is true however that they do contain small amounts of harmful compounds that scientists believe are present as defences against consumption by herbivores. Have your cornflakes or coffee or whatever you need and stop being such an almighty bellend.
    Your point is simplistic to the point of being infantile. "harmful compounds that scientists believe are present as defences" might be beneficial or harmful depending on which animals are eating them, which plants are being eaten, and the dosage. In exactly the same way as fruit that the tree "wants to be eaten" might be harmful or beneficial depending on exactly the same factors.

As a simple example, have you not noticed that plants that have made themselves taste bitter as a defence are also sometimes very good for us?
    Would you care to list some examples?
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,941
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Hah. True that.

But it's all very well and good if you're getting it in advance via telegram or the dark web, but what about that ill-advised second 8 ball at 4am? Where a handful of twenties collectively hastily gathered from the people in the room who are "up for it" is far more convenient than one person beaning his gourd off going Coinbase -> Cake wallet -> XMR -> Dealer (a process which, I'm told, can take several hours, apparently). Then asking everyone else to venmo their share the next day...

Similarly, note the pong of stale weed on every high street from Land's End to John'O'Scrotes. All of it bought with, I'd imagine, a twenty pound note or two. As long as the market for drugs exists - and that market is estimated at £9-10 _billion_ a year in the UK - there will be a market for frictionless, anonymous currency. Crypto might get there eventually, but until then, that's 9-10 billion (less whatever gets bought in crypto) happening in cash payments happening annually.

So if the illegal drugs market is the number 1 customer for cash, wouldn't abandoning cash be a means of combating illegal drugs?

Good evening, everybody

kamski said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Huawei though.

So many red flags there.

Apple is the best.

I keep a spare old phone home as an emergency backup. I smashed my phone last year, I got home and took my old device out, put in the SIM card, logged onto my apps and all my cards were transferred over and I was back up and running immediately.

Olden days I'd have had to wait to get new cards printed and sent out, and even older days any cash I had would have been just lost.

Plus its an option to have everything on your watch too, so can use that when phone is unavailable.
    Why are you replying to me you fucking troll? fuck off
  • Pagan2 said:

TOPPING said:

kamski said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Huawei though.

So many red flags there.

Apple is the best.

I take the view that anything I’m going to be using for hours a day ( so a mattress, laptop, phone, shoes, that one chair in just the right spot in front of the TV/in the sweet spot of your speakers) should be as “costly … as thy purse can buy”.
    Wow you use your phone hours a day? I pick mine up about once every 3 days
    On good days I use it to listen to music or audio books as I walk. On bad days it keeps me occupied as I’m waiting for something to happen at a hospital. On any day it keeps me organised with alarms, diary, contacts, etc. I do use it to pay for most things. It’s often the best camera I own: I.e. the one I have on me when I want to take a photo. It gives me access to an almost infinite amount of knowledge, which I mostly use to answer arguments. Sometimes I even use to make phone calls.
  • kamski said:

kamski said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Huawei though.

So many red flags there.

Apple is the best.

You're the troll that's being abusive, I was just politely taking part in a conversation.

If you want to be abusive why don't you just go back to taking the AfD/Russia's side against Ukraine again.
  • Cash has been used for exchange for 4 or 5,000 years if not longer.

Horses haven’t gone away you know…
  • mercatormercator Posts: 815

FPT:

kamski said:

kamski said:

kamski said:

Nigelb said:

Mught we have a couple of these on PB ?

‘Plants are trying to kill you’: why carnivore influencers claim we should eat only meat
    https://www.theguardian.com/food/2024/sep/12/carnivore-diet-meat-plants
    ...“Plants are trying to kill you,” Chaffee says within the first few minutes of our first video call. “We have some defenses, and that’s why some plants are edible, but they still cause harm with long-term exposure over years and decades,” he continues, comparing the long-term health impacts of eating salad to those of cigarettes and alcohol.

Chaffee is one of the leading exponents of the carnivore diet, the latest trend in the wellness universe, in which people claim they turned around their health – and their lives – by eating bowls piled high with ground beef and boiled eggs...

He is exaggerating somewhat but this is true: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_defense_against_herbivory

It wouldn't be true of a fruit like an apple, where the tree 'wants' it to be eaten, but where plants being eaten isn't a part of their lifecycle they have these compounds.
    Except it's bollocks.

There are also actually poisonous fruits.
    Um, of course there are poisonous fruits. I said of a fruit like an apple.
    Of course there are fruits that aren't poisonous. Just like there are salads that aren't poisonous. Just pointing out that your 'argument' is shit.
    It has nothing to do with being 'poisonous' and I'm not making 'an argument' I am highlighting an established fact. Of course the vegetables we eat are not 'poisonous' or we would have stopped eating them millennia ago. It is true however that they do contain small amounts of harmful compounds that scientists believe are present as defences against consumption by herbivores. Have your cornflakes or coffee or whatever you need and stop being such an almighty bellend.
    Your point is simplistic to the point of being infantile. "harmful compounds that scientists believe are present as defences" might be beneficial or harmful depending on which animals are eating them, which plants are being eaten, and the dosage. In exactly the same way as fruit that the tree "wants to be eaten" might be harmful or beneficial depending on exactly the same factors.

As a simple example, have you not noticed that plants that have made themselves taste bitter as a defence are also sometimes very good for us?
    Would you care to list some examples?
    It's a tiny bit ironic that you have just mentioned coffee...
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,415
    I see PB is having fun. A couple of people need to get a room. Not to mention @TheScreamingEagles crush on Kemi.

Two observations from a friend in the US, who spends part of each year in Arizona, and part in Pennsylvania: From Arizona last winter: The McCain supporters and the Trumpistas are locked in a "death match" over the control of the party.

From Pennsylvania, currently: He has seen almost no political ads -- so far. So, for many voters, the campaign there has not really begun.

(I haven't seen many ads for state races here in Washington, so far.)

The Trumpistas won the AZ deathmatch, I think ?

Almost no ads in PA yet ? Wow.
    You got me searching.

For the Senate races, Montana is a massive outlier in spend per voter;
    Pennsylvania some way down the list:
    https://x.com/AdImpact_Pol/status/1834599448640385038

These stats don't look great for my Florida bet (though that may change this month, with the closer polls ?):
    https://x.com/AdImpact_Pol/status/1834580226732425299
    FL Presidential ad spending in August 2020:
    🔵$21.7m 🔴$8m

FL Presidential ad spending in August 2024:
    🔴$176k 🔵$174k

You'd have noticed in Georgia;
    Campaigns ran nearly 700 ads in Atlanta on day of the Harris, Trump debate

Ah, here's PA.
    As far as your friend is concerned, both campaigns are wasting a heap of cash.
    https://x.com/AdImpact_Pol/status/1834260862313382038
    "Harris will ban all fracking...that will immediately put tens of thousands of Pennsylvanians out of work."

Trump's newest ad attacks Harris on fracking. #PAPol has seen $260m in aired Presidential spending since Super Tuesday, making up 23% of all aired Presidential spending.

...Harris then got free debate airtime for her pro-fracking declaration.

But they are obsolete as the primary mode of transportation is concerned.

Now they're a niche hobby for people, which was not the case in the past.

Same with cash, there might remain niche people who use it in the future but as far as a mode of exchange is concerned, its obsolete.
    rcs1000 said:

I must admit, I carry cash less and less. Now you can do micropayments with your phone, what's the point?

It really depends on where you live.

Cash is obsolete, and would be pointless, if there weren't still a significant minority of folk who depend on it. I'm not going to be the one to tell them tough shit.
    edited September 13
    The US border patrol still uses horses, in places. There are places in the US (and, probably Canada) where horses are part of the best solutions.

(Amazon, a very practical operation, uses mules to deliver packages in the Grand Canyon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0YPY50LnRo )
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,242

kamski said:

kamski said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Huawei though.

So many red flags there.

Apple is the best.

You're the troll that's being abusive, I was just politely taking part in a conversation.

If you want to be abusive why don't you just go back to taking the AfD/Russia's side against Ukraine again.
    He doesn't want you to reply to his posts so why do it?
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,703

HYUFD said:

And, beyond a certain point, processing cash will become more hassle than it's worth. Fewer and fewer transactions to sustain the cost of all the background infrastructure needed to make it work.
    It’s already more of a hassle for a few factors.

Cash processing fees for businesses are generally higher than card processing fees.

The reduction of the bank branch network.

Insurance costs are rather high if you have cash onsite/overnight.
    It is infuriating when you still encounter cash only businesses. A pizza house near us only accepts cash on the door, yet I can order by food hub!!!, which obviously involves cards etc.

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

It is doomed.

???

To pay for dinner there.
    No idea why I'd need a chequebook to pay for dinner there, I'd pay contactless same as I do everywhere else and if they don't accept contactless I'll take my business elsewhere.

I don't have a chequebook. 🤷‍♂️
    That'll teach them.

But they are obsolete as the primary mode of transportation is concerned.

Now they're a niche hobby for people, which was not the case in the past.

Same with cash, there might remain niche people who use it in the future but as far as a mode of exchange is concerned, its obsolete.
    True: you don’t see many horses in central London these days. But the number isn’t zero either.