Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Why this is still Trump’s election to lose – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,049
edited August 26 in General
Why this is still Trump’s election to lose – politicalbetting.com

3 caution points for Democrats… 1. Trump wins if the difference between the polls at this point & the result matches what we saw in 2016 or 2020.2. Trump's more popular now than at this pt in 2016 or 2020. 3. Dems don't say they're more likely to vote now than in May pic.twitter.com/E0zfPCyKS9

Read the full story here

Comments

• eekeek Posts: 27,481
    First as Trump won't be in November
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,640
    Have there been any changes to polling methodology, especially since the debacle of 2016?

Or do the pollsters not tell us that as they don't tell us anything else in American polling?

(Thank you to the British polling industry for the BPC.)
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,206
    2.2 like Reeves rising inflation number
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,886
    edited August 14
    Go forth and ... Liz Truss still opinionating that Trump will probably win because of the economy.

(Burning my image quota for the day, and acknowledging @Foxy got there first, and slightly trimming on my temporary PB-break because we are having good posts / conversation.)
    Taz said:

If it's Trumps election to lose he is certainly doing his best to lose it.

He's trying even harder than he did with Stormy...
    MattW said:

Go forth and ... Liz Truss still opinionating that Trump will probably win because of the economy.

(Burning my image quota for the day, and acknowledging @Foxy got there first, and slightly trimming on my temporary PB-break because we are having good posts / conversation.)

Linky well worth a watch: https://x.com/ByDonkeys/status/1823481596185616717
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,544
    Taz said:
    Is Goodwin still an academic? I wonder how BAME students of his feel. Can they be confident he will grade them fairly when he seems to think they have no business being in the country at all?
  • RattersRatters Posts: 1,007

Rising inflation was built in over the second half of this year. Some speculation it was why Sunak called the election while it remained on target (much help that did). This inflation print was actually lower than forecast.

Expect inflation to continue to rise the rest of 2024, but remain below 3%. But I'm not sure ordinary people will pay much attention to "what is the decimal point after "2" on an inflation statistic after a period of 10%+ inflation.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,045
    edited August 14
    "If there were an election held today... "

Just going on the current 538 state polling averages, the only state that Biden won in 2020 where Trump is now ahead in the polling is Georgia.

Harris would be favorite I think, though not by much. Although Trump's favorability is much better than at this point in 2016, and better than his approval polling in 2020, Harris's current favorability polling is better than Trump's.

Taz said:
    Is Goodwin still an academic? I wonder how BAME students of his feel. Can they be confident he will grade them fairly when he seems to think they have no business being in the country at all?
    Nope - he left the University of Kent when they were offering voluntary redundancy earlier this year - shows he has some common sense because you should always take the initial offer when the terms will be the most generous.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,702
    MattW said:

Just seems like simple harrassment?
    MattW said:

MattW said:

oh the linky is definitely worth a watch for her reaction is icy(berg)..
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,557

Taz said:
    He's just left his position at Kent, I suspect he would regard himself as an Independent Gentleman Scholar; I've known some utterly delightful and effective examples of the species.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,552

MattW said:

What woke nonsense.

It is a free speech issue.

MattW said:

It may well be - but she is going to have to get used to it, she is arguing for free speech and the first time someone, Led by Donkey, uses it against her she is getting mightly annoyed...

It's also satire so there is even more flexibility when it comes to satire and free speech...
    kamski said:

Just going on the current 538 state polling averages, the only state that Biden won in 2020 where Trump is now ahead in the polling is Georgia.

Harris would be favorite I think, though not by much. Although Trump's favorability is much better than at this point in 2016, and better than his approval polling in 2020, Harris's current favorability polling is better than Trump's.

There are also going to be a number of states with abortion rights on the agenda - that is going to bring out Democrat leaning voters..
  • MuesliMuesli Posts: 202

MattW said:

If she didn’t want people to be reminded of the lettuce, why did she dress like it? 🥬
    Harris’ or Harris’s? Apostrophe row divides grammar nerds

The Harris campaign has yet to put a full stop to the issue, which has riled up social media users

https://www.theguardian.com/science/article/2024/aug/14/kamala-harris-or-harriss-apostrophe-row-grammar-nerds
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,137

MattW said:

What woke nonsense.

That is just a typical romainey view.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,750

MattW said:

Yes, a bit cruel.

It's humiliating enough to be speaking to an empty village hall, just 2 years after being Mistress of the Universe who was going to surprise on the upside.
    Muesli said:

eek said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Little gem of a video clip there. She decided she wasn’t going to romaine on stage cos she didn’t like what was on the banner.
    She ended up the Webbs wonder.

MattW said:

Guy on the right: what's a lettuce?
    Oh come on. If he's a Trumpite he's a connoisseur of word salad.
    eek said:

MattW said:

It may well be - but she is going to have to get used to it, she is arguing for free speech and the first time someone, Led by Donkey, uses it against her she is getting mightly annoyed...

It's also satire so there is even more flexibility when it comes to satire and free speech...
    A positive sign for her that she hasn't been entirely forgotten I would have thought. Plus a useful reminder to her audience of who she is - if you say the name Liz Truss in Germany people say 'who?' but when you say 'you know - the one who was beaten by the lettuce' they immediately know who you mean. She should have welcomed it with a laugh and said 'ooh can I keep that for my next engagement?' She could adopt it as her logo!
    edited August 14
    kamski said:

eek said:

MattW said:

A positive sign for her that she hasn't been entirely forgotten I would have thought. Plus a useful reminder to her audience of who she is - if you say the name Liz Truss in Germany people say 'who?' but when you say 'you know - the one who was beaten by the lettuce' they immediately know who you mean. She should have welcomed it with a laugh and said 'ooh can I keep that for my next engagement?' She could adopt it as her logo!
    The only thing is, when she sees a lettuce, she looks like one.

She goes green with envy.

(And she was wearing a green dress as well - she really is a fool, isn't she?)
    MattW said:

In her defence, she didn't crash the economy, she crashed the markets until Jeremy Hunt and Andrew Bailey stepped in.
    edited August 14

MattW said:

In her defence, she didn't crash the economy, she crashed the markets until Jeremy Hunt and Andrew Bailey stepped in.
    I think, actually, that poster might be defamatory.

After all, the lettuce didn't crash the economy, and we have no reason to think it would have been a worse PM than Truss.
    edited August 14
    eek said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

It is a gem of a clip. In time I hope she can caeser funny side of all this.
    Foxy said:

MattW said:

Yes, a bit cruel.

It's humiliating enough to be speaking to an empty village hall, just 2 years after being Mistress of the Universe who was going to surprise on the upside.
    And the robust freedom of speech answer is- if you don't like what LBD have done here, you are fully free to criticise them and think less of them.

And Truss ultimately has a decision to make. If she doesn't want the lettuce gags every time she speaks, it might be better all round for her to leaf the public eye for a bit.

Even if you agree with Truss's views, there are better spokespeople. Aren't there?
    eek said:

kamski said:

There are also going to be a number of states with abortion rights on the agenda - that is going to bring out Democrat leaning voters..
    The really difficult bit for pollsters is to gauge likelihood of voting. That was the polling failure in the UK for vote share, though worth noting that seat numbers were not far out. Notably the LDs and Greens did well by running positive, fun campaigns, and got good voter engagement while wooden Starmer couldn't get his vote out, hobbled by having to have dreary policies because of the prospect of having to implement them.

It looks like Harris/Walz has the zeitgeist and enthusiasm, and looks like Biden dropped out at exactly the right time for a short (in American terms) campaign.

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Yes, a bit cruel.

And the robust freedom of speech answer is- if you don't like what LBD have done here, you are fully free to criticise them and think less of them.

And Truss ultimately has a decision to make. If she doesn't want the lettuce gags every time she speaks, it might be better all round for her to leaf the public eye for a bit.

Even if you agree with Truss's views, there are better spokespeople. Aren't there?
    Not to worry, Reeves will have people sending her a bucket of shite when she leaves office.

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Yes, a bit cruel.

Not to worry, Reeves will have people sending her a bucket of shite when she leaves office.
    She's already been handed a pretty massive bucket of shite thanks in no small part to Truss.
    ydoethur said:

kamski said:

eek said:

MattW said:

The only thing is, when she sees a lettuce, she looks like one.

She goes green with envy.

(And she was wearing a green dress as well - she really is a fool, isn't she?)
    Yes, she should learn to pretend to have a sense of humour, unless the summit of her ambitions is to get a few people to feel sorry for her. I don't feel particularly sorry for her because she seems to have chosen to try and cash in on her ex-PM status by going round America praising Donald fucking Trump - she should have a tiny bit of self-respect.

I actually feel sorry for Liz Truss. The Led By Donkeys stunts have been a thing for a while, and the "lets stick a banner behind them" thing is effective.

Why do I feel sorry for Truss? Its BEFORE the banner. She is sat in what sounds like an almost empty room, shilling for Trump, and giving her opinion on how the average American is doing based on no experience at all. Her opinion is literally worthless and baseless, but she is hoping that her notoriety means she can feed at the Trump table and still be relevant.

I know that we all think politicians are thick skinned, and she is truly thick. But this must be hard work, even for her. Like the 4th member of the crap boyband after the get dumped by the record label thinking that anyone wants to hear their attempts to write their own songs or sing without autotune.

Another struggling substantive political commentator!

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Yes, a bit cruel.

We won't know that until the budget in the Autumn but (granted) at the moment it doesn't look good...
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,508
    Shame @Leon has gone (for however long).

He's not wrong there has been a long-standing antipathy towards him from many posters.

It doesn't need a degree in psychology to see that for the most part that antipathy is motivated by jealousy and insecurity.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,778

Patience, Alan.
    You'll no doubt find good reasons to have another pop at Reeves, in due course.
    This isn't one of them.

I actually feel sorry for Liz Truss. The Led By Donkeys stunts have been a thing for a while, and the "lets stick a banner behind them" thing is effective.

Why do I feel sorry for Truss? Its BEFORE the banner. She is sat in what sounds like an almost empty room, shilling for Trump, and giving her opinion on how the average American is doing based on no experience at all. Her opinion is literally worthless and baseless, but she is hoping that her notoriety means she can feed at the Trump table and still be relevant.

I know that we all think politicians are thick skinned, and she is truly thick. But this must be hard work, even for her. Like the 4th member of the crap boyband after the get dumped by the record label thinking that anyone wants to hear their attempts to write their own songs or sing without autotune.

You mean Truss or RochdaleP? If the latter I thought his comment was rather good, especially the boyband comparison.
    TOPPING said:

He's not wrong there has been a long-standing antipathy towards him from many posters.

It doesn't need a degree in psychology to see that for the most part that antipathy is motivated by jealousy and insecurity.

I have a pop at him because
    - he started it
    - he seems to enjoy it
    edited August 14
    eek said:

kamski said:

I'm glad somebody read my thread header! :smile:

This is where the states are right now: https://ballotpedia.org/2023_and_2024_abortion-related_ballot_measures

Note that Missouri and Arizona have both confirmed a pro-abortion amendment will be put to voters since I wrote the header. Both have Senate elections too.

Also, a new poll in Florida (one of the states with an abortion ballot) suggesting Harris has cut Trump's lead in Florida substantially and is getting close to MoE territory: https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4826106-florida-harris-trump-rfk-jr-2024/

We still don't have confirmation of either measure in Nebraska, Montana, or a resolution to the train crash the SoS has overseen in Arkansas.

OK, some of it is the natural bullishness that a politician needs in order to function at all. As you know.

But most PMs who leave office do fade into the background to a large degree. Not completely, but they target their interventions for the handful of things that really matter to them. Or quietly make oodles of cash in the very private sector. Or both.

Truss and Johnson seem like outliers here, and not in a way that's healthy.
    kamski said:

TOPPING said:

- he started it
    - he seems to enjoy it
    Leon has even been known to argue with himself when other fields are dull.

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Yes, a bit cruel.

The last line is the killer.

I appreciate that we are in the silly season before politics restarts in September, but there really is no-one in the Tory contest really making a case for Free Enterprise and Capitalism. They are either bogged down with navel gazing culture wars or simply dull as ditchwater.

Simply promising unfunded tax cuts does not equate to a coherent right wing vision. It shouldn't be a difficult case to make against Starmer/Reeves vision of cheese paring grey state corporation.

• EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,910
    TOPPING said:

Better that than simpering adulation.
    edited August 14
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Yes, a bit cruel.

She's already been handed a pretty massive bucket of shite thanks in no small part to Truss.
    Rofl, I thought dear teacher you went on the facts. She has been handed a mixed bag, reasonable growth, inflation backdown but a tight fiscal position. She has responded by undermining her credibility by lying on the size of that position and making it worse with inflationary pay rises.

Cancel growth she doesnt know how to do it.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,650
    kamski said:

You mean Truss or RochdaleP? If the latter I thought his comment was rather good, especially the boyband comparison.
    I read it as aimed at Truss! As for the Leon reference and the alleged antipathy towards him from some, I like him more than I dislike him. Yes he's a preening narcissist, but at least he's open about it. He'll be back. He always comes back. His ego needs us.
    Nigelb said:

Patience, Alan.
    You'll no doubt find good reasons to have another pop at Reeves, in due course.
    This isn't one of them.
    Of course not its just plain trolling - I confess.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,214

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Yes, a bit cruel.

Rofl, I thought dear teacher you went of the facts. She has been handed a mixed bag, reasonable growth, inflation backdown but a tight fiscal position. She has responded by undermining her credibility by lying on the size of that position and making it worse with inflationary pay rises.

Was she handed a mixed salad bag?
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,155

Desmond
  • I actually feel sorry for Liz Truss. The Led By Donkeys stunts have been a thing for a while, and the "lets stick a banner behind them" thing is effective.

OK, some of it is the natural bullishness that a politician needs in order to function at all. As you know.

But most PMs who leave office do fade into the background to a large degree. Not completely, but they target their interventions for the handful of things that really matter to them. Or quietly make oodles of cash in the very private sector. Or both.

Truss and Johnson seem like outliers here, and not in a way that's healthy.
    Surely Keir Starmer is proving to be Liz Truss's saviour. Some day soon he will go past her time in office but few think that is because he is a better prime minister than she was. Quite an achievement on his part.

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Yes, a bit cruel.

Rofl, I thought dear teacher you went of the facts. She has been handed a mixed bag, reasonable growth, inflation backdown but a tight fiscal position. She has responded by undermining her credibility by lying on the size of that position and making it worse with inflationary pay rises.

The facts are whatever the headline figures we do not have a 'tight' fiscal position we have a large structural deficit on top of an enormous debt pile on top of a critical spending crisis in the public sector.

Now, the trick to carrying that position was to keep interest rates low to ensure the borrowing was affordable. Truss' folly caused them to soar an astonishing twentyfold, and while some of that would have happened anyway her bizarre fiscal proposals made everything much worse.

So I stand by my statement. The lettuce would have been better.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,650
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Yes, a bit cruel.

I appreciate that we are in the silly season before politics restarts in September, but there really is no-one in the Tory contest really making a case for Free Enterprise and Capitalism. They are either bogged down with navel gazing culture wars or simply dull as ditchwater.

Simply promising unfunded tax cuts does not equate to a coherent right wing vision. It shouldn't be a difficult case to make against Starmer/Reeves vision of cheese paring grey state corporation.

Yes, and I've been pointing that out for ages - the Tories have stopped being the party of business, of enterprise, of the market. They are owned by oligarchs and shill for them instead.

I assume that at some point they will rediscover capitalism and think "oooh thats a good policy". Until then they deserve all of the kickings they have had and the inevitable kickings to come.
    edited August 14
    Eabhal said:

TOPPING said:

Better that than simpering adulation.
    I haven't seen your interactions with him but perhaps you are one of the insecure ones. Several posters also are a bit befuddled by his imaginative flights of fancy, it's all a bit non-grey isn't it, and perhaps you are one of those also.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Yes, a bit cruel.

The facts are whatever the headline figures we do not have a 'tight' fiscal position we have a large structural deficit on top of an enormous debt pile on top of a critical spending crisis in the public sector.

Now, the trick to carrying that position was to keep interest rates low to ensure the borrowing was affordable. Truss' folly caused them to soar an astonishing twentyfold, and while some of that would have happened anyway her bizarre fiscal proposals made everything much worse.

Reeves needs to cut spending and remove legislation to get growth.

She will do the opposite in both cases.
    kamski said:

TOPPING said:

- he started it
    - he seems to enjoy it
    Of course. But there is a group of people on PB who resent him. Whether this is because he somehow shines a light on their own existence who knows but several for some strange reason take it all so personally.
    After her ill considered endorsement, Haley is slowly edging away from Trump again.
    Albeit in a manner which tries to have it both ways.

Haley: I want this campaign to win. But the campaign is not going to win talking about crowd sizes. It's not going to win talking about what race Kamala Harris is. It's not going to win talking about whether she is dumb. You can’t win on those things
    https://x.com/Acyn/status/1823488662732202266
    edited August 14

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Yes, a bit cruel.

Rofl, I thought dear teacher you went on the facts. She has been handed a mixed bag, reasonable growth, inflation backdown but a tight fiscal position. She has responded by undermining her credibility by lying on the size of that position and making it worse with inflationary pay rises.

I wouldn't describe it as a tight fiscal position, it's an impossible one due to Hunt's unjustified NI tax cuts..
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,477
    TOPPING said:

Or because he is, in fact, a shit. I'm not jealous of him; I think his own insecurity is why he has to shower us with monotonous stories of his travels, where he sees little and learns less. I have a good life; and I fear I am more content and happier than he is. What has he got for me to be jealous of?

I hope he stays, or comes back soon, for he is part of this site. But so was Tim, and others that he has bullied off this site over the years.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Yes, a bit cruel.

Yes, and I've been pointing that out for ages - the Tories have stopped being the party of business, of enterprise, of the market. They are owned by oligarchs and shill for them instead.

I assume that at some point they will rediscover capitalism and think "oooh thats a good policy". Until then they deserve all of the kickings they have had and the inevitable kickings to come.
    I think any party of government after a long time in power (no matter how many iterations of the party there have been during that time) will lose its sense of purpose and begin to look inwards. It's not as though Lab has a searing vision for the country and the future save not being the Cons.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,463
    edited August 14

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Yes, a bit cruel.

Payrises higher than inflation are a good thing. The problem is when inflation (and benefits which are tied to it) are going up higher than pay.

To paraphrase Mr Micawber: Annual inflation 2.0%, pay inflation 2.1%, result happiness. Annual inflation 2.0%, pay inflation 1.9%, result misery.

TOPPING said:

Or because he is, in fact, a shit. I'm not jealous of him; I think his own insecurity is why he has to shower us with monotonous stories of his travels, where he sees little and learns less. I have a good life; and I fear I am more content and happier than he is. What has he got for me to be jealous of?

I hope he stays, or comes back soon, for he is part of this site. But so was Tim, and others that he has bullied off this site over the years.
    We need to get Tim back
    edited August 14

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Yes, a bit cruel.

Truss decided to try to borrow money to cut taxes.

Remind me how that went in terms of growth.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,463
    edited August 14
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Yes, a bit cruel.

I wouldn't describe it as a tight fiscal position, it's an impossible one due to Hunt's unjustified NI tax cuts..
    Oh drop this outright lie already.

Hunt put up taxes far more than he cut them. Extending the freeze on tax thresholds at a time of inflation much more than paid for NI cut, there were more taxes going up than down as @RochdalePioneers repeatedly said pre-election.

NI cuts benefit those who are working for a living and were funded by those who have unearned incomes having lower thresholds.

And NI is such an outrageous tax that any cut on it, especially a fully funded one like Hunt did, is entirely justified.
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Yes, a bit cruel.

We'll see if Reeves increases NI, She has after all a whole public sector demanding pay rises. Will she say no to GPs? Can she say no to the police ?

Taz said:
    I don't think that's fair. He isn't a racist. Far from it.

TOPPING said:

We need to get Tim back
    That would be good. He was fun, when he wasn't going off on one over Plato.

TOPPING said:

For someone who is not jealous or insecure you are doing a lot of telling us how happy and content you are.

MattW said:

I don't think holding up a poster is "harassment", but if she wishes to complain to the police she is free to do so.

It speaks more to her incompetence in organising her speaking tour. She is a walking, talking self-lampoon.

Harrassment / harassment :smile:.

TOPPING said:

We need to get Tim back
    tim not Tim
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Yes, a bit cruel.

Hunt
  • eek said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Yes, a bit cruel.

We'll see if Reeves increases NI, She has after all a whole public sector demanding pay rises. Will she say no to GPs? Can she say no to the police ?
    She's mad if she does.

She should abolish NI altogether and merge it into Income Tax.

Let those who aren't working for a living pay their fair share towards the public sector getting a pay rise.

If public sector jobs aren't worth doing, they should be abolished altogether. But if they do need doing, they should be paid appropriately. Same for the private sector too.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Yes, a bit cruel.

Hunt
    Please tell me they're not going to spend time obsessing about that again. Michael Foster and Dennis Skinner are not MPs any more, there's no reason for it.

eek said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Yes, a bit cruel.

oh I don't think tax rises in that area are on the agenda although it would be the easiest way of fixing the issue.

As for the police I cannot remember a time when the independently recommended pay award for the police wasn't paid in full. Can you show me a time when it didn't happen?
    ydoethur said:

eek said:

kamski said:

This is where the states are right now: https://ballotpedia.org/2023_and_2024_abortion-related_ballot_measures

Note that Missouri and Arizona have both confirmed a pro-abortion amendment will be put to voters since I wrote the header. Both have Senate elections too.

Also, a new poll in Florida (one of the states with an abortion ballot) suggesting Harris has cut Trump's lead in Florida substantially and is getting close to MoE territory: https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4826106-florida-harris-trump-rfk-jr-2024/

We still don't have confirmation of either measure in Nebraska, Montana, or a resolution to the train crash the SoS has overseen in Arkansas.
    Montana is important because it is probably the hardest of the many difficult seats Dems have to defend in order to have a chance to keep control of the senate.

Currently 51-49 to Dems (including 3 independents with Dems)

West Virginia will be a Republican gain

Dems are unlikely to pick any up (though Florida and/or Texas could just about be in play)

So they need to hold on to all of (plus win the presidency for the casting vote)
    Montana
    Michigan
    Nevada
    Ohio
    Arizona
    Pennsylvania
    Wisconsin

The last 3 of those they should win, and they have a good chance in Ohio, Michigan and Nevada, but Tester is behind in the polls in Montana.

eek said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Yes, a bit cruel.

Hunt put up taxes far more than he cut them. Extending the freeze on tax thresholds at a time of inflation much more than paid for NI cut, there were more taxes going up than down as @RochdalePioneers repeatedly said pre-election.

NI cuts benefit those who are working for a living and were funded by those who have unearned incomes having lower thresholds.

And NI is such an outrageous tax that any cut on it, especially a fully funded one like Hunt did, is entirely justified.
    Just because the thresholds haven't increased doesn't mean the the NI cuts can be justified - you shouldn't be cutting taxes (randomly) while running a structural budget deficit...
    Foxy said:

MattW said:

Yes, a bit cruel.

Even before it appears she seems somewhat hesitant and lacking in confidence. Not the gravitas of a former PM at all.

I seriously think she needs some help and maybe to look at a bit of a career change.
    kamski said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

kamski said:

Montana is important because it is probably the hardest of the many difficult seats Dems have to defend in order to have a chance to keep control of the senate.

Currently 51-49 to Dems (including 3 independents with Dems)

West Virginia will be a Republican gain

Dems are unlikely to pick any up (though Florida and/or Texas could just about be in play)

So they need to hold on to all of (plus win the presidency for the casting vote)
    Montana
    Michigan
    Nevada
    Ohio
    Arizona
    Pennsylvania
    Wisconsin

The last 3 of those they should win, and they have a good chance in Ohio, Michigan and Nevada, but Tester is behind in the polls in Montana.
    MIssouri is also a state where the Republican incumbent could have done without an abortion ballot measure, especially as he and his wife are prominent anti-abortion activists.

Three point swing on last time required for a Dem gain.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,477
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

For someone who is not jealous or insecure you are doing a lot of telling us how happy and content you are.
    I was just showing that you are wrong in saying that the 'antipathy' is motivated by jealousy and insecurity. It isn't.

But if it makes you feel less jealous and insecure to think so, feel free. ;)
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,079

The Harris campaign has yet to put a full stop to the issue, which has riled up social media users

https://www.theguardian.com/science/article/2024/aug/14/kamala-harris-or-harriss-apostrophe-row-grammar-nerds

In the UK 'Harris's' is more usual; the problem with " 'Harris' " is that it is awkward WRT the sound. We say something like 'Richard Harrises garden' not 'Richard Harris garden'.

My own preference is to abolish apostrophes for all inflections, only retaining them for elisions and glottal (or glo'al) stops (isn't; bu'er (as in butter)). This will assist greengrocers who can stop writing 'We aint got no banana's'.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,702

MattW said:

What woke nonsense.

I don’t deny anyone's right to call Liz Truss a lettuce. It seems very intrusive to hack or break in to her meeting room to mock her before an invited audience though. Whether it's illegal, I have no idea, but it's certainly worthy of criticism - that's me exercising my free speech.
  • eek said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Yes, a bit cruel.

Just because the thresholds haven't increased doesn't mean the the NI cuts can be justified - you shouldn't be cutting taxes (randomly) while running a structural budget deficit...
    Of course it means the NI cuts can be justified. A net tax rise means that, net, taxes have gone up not down.

Freezing tax thresholds and cutting NI means that taxes on PAYE working for a living are going down fully-funded (and then some!) by putting UP taxes on both those working for a living and more importantly on those with incomes they aren't working for.

That's entirely justified.
    eek said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Yes, a bit cruel.

oh I don't think tax rises in that area are on the agenda although it would be the easiest way of fixing the issue.

As for the police I cannot remember a time when the independently recommended pay award for the police wasn't paid in full. Can you show me a time when it didn't happen?
    Im sure they'll pay, it's just that I think the police will ask for a lot more on the back of the riots.
    algarkirk said:

In the UK 'Harris's' is more usual; the problem with " 'Harris' " is that it is awkward WRT the sound. We say something like 'Richard Harrises garden' not 'Richard Harris garden'.

My own preference is to abolish apostrophes for all inflections, only retaining them for elisions and glottal (or glo'al) stops (isn't; bu'er (as in butter)). This will assist greengrocers who can stop writing 'We aint got no banana's'.
    Greetings, George Bernard Shaw.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Yes, a bit cruel.

On planning regulation (which is a biggie), it's pretty clear that the government is deregulating.

And for cutting spending, there are two honest options and one dishonest one.

The honest ones are to cut government functions, or do serious re-engineering to do them more efficiently. If you have concrete ideas- great. Tell me what they are and why the outgone government didn't do them.

The dishonest one is to pretend that you can get staff for public sector functions for less than they actually cost. Given the recruitment and retention problems all over the place, it's pretty clear that the government's recent offers haven't been enough.
    edited August 14

Without Leon, this place won't be as much fun, or as informative on crazy subjects that don't usually pop up.
    PB is a lesser place without him. I haven't gone through the last thread so don't know why he flounced, but I hope he comes back.

I certainly relied on him to keep me abreast of the latest thinking on the far-right fringes of Twitter!

He left because he was threatened with a ban for going on too much about pets.
  • Foxy said:

MattW said:

Yes, a bit cruel.

Even before it appears she seems somewhat hesitant and lacking in confidence. Not the gravitas of a former PM at all.

I seriously think she needs some help and maybe to look at a bit of a career change.
    The voters in SW Norfolk helped by offering her some fairly clear careers guidance counselling last month.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,621
    I expect Leon will be back. I like Leon. Don't always agree with him but he is always interesting.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,852
    eek said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Why on earth did she do that? I didn’t think the stunt was original or funny but she handled it very badly
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,332

MattW said:

Guy on the right: what's a lettuce?
    Its something you take off your burger before you eat it.

Without Leon, this place won't be as much fun, or as informative on crazy subjects that don't usually pop up.
    PB is a lesser place without him. I haven't gone through the last thread so don't know why he flounced, but I hope he comes back.

The dog eater thinks cat and dog owners are selfish lonely losers as their pets are ruining the environment.

He got into a huff when a few people pointed out if he was so concerned about the environment would he be giving up plane travel.

In short he’s just like Polly Toynbee.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,477
    kamski said:

I certainly relied on him to keep me abreast of the latest thinking on the far-right fringes of Twitter!

He left because he was threatened with a ban for going on too much about pets.
    Says he's definitely going for good this time. Apart from the odd holiday photo.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,852

It’s a complicated issue; her judgement leaves a question mark!
    eek said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Yes, a bit cruel.

As Micawber said of the balance between income and expenditure.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,229
    MattW said:

MattW said:

What I find most astonishing about that clip is just how bored the interviewer looks. And if he's bored, imagine how the audience must feel.
    TOPPING said:

kamski said:

TOPPING said:

- he started it
    - he seems to enjoy it
    Of course. But there is a group of people on PB who resent him. Whether this is because he somehow shines a light on their own existence who knows but several for some strange reason take it all so personally.
    Perhaps not unconnected with his habit of being persistently abusive towards a few chose targets, on a regular basis ?

I don't have a problem with Leon (other than finding his certainty on any number of matters somewhat ridiculous), and I'd rather he were still here.
    And he can, when he chooses, be both perceptive and charming.

But I'm not as puzzled as you about why some folk don't like him.
This discussion has been closed.