Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Crucial polling on Kamala Harris – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,048
edited August 4 in General
Crucial polling on Kamala Harris – politicalbetting.com

How do you think Kamala Harris’s name is pronounced?Kam-ala (like bam): 36%Karm-ala (like calm): 21%Kam-aah-la (like baa): 19%https://t.co/fpbd7jgLGE pic.twitter.com/bhNWmCfHUQ

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,520
    Evening Satanists PBers.
  • Oh Shit.

"BREAKING: Hezbollah directly struck a playground in the Israeli Druze town of Majdal Shams, gravely injuring over 28 people people, and killing 9 children. Israeli first responders are currently searching the area. More information to come. "

https://x.com/HenMazzig/status/1817236379098591519?t=-eHKubll78O9eWyOaLK8CQ&s=19
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,632

Evening Satanists PBers.

How is it actually pronounced?

I say 'CAR ma la' but I've really no idea.
    Crikey.

A Scottish Conservative leadership candidate has been warned by police of threats against his life, but insists it will not deter his intentions to run for party leader.

Russell Findlay, a former journalist who exposed organised crime in Scotland, has been warned by police that he is in danger from a known criminal associate of a hired hitman who was jailed for attacking him nine years ago.

William Burns, who threw acid in Findlay’s face as he answered his door at his Glasgow home in 2015, was imprisoned for ten years but is due a parole hearing this week in which he may gain early release.

The new threat came shortly before Findlay, 51, declared he was running to replace Douglas Ross as the Conservative leader at the Scottish parliament. He was informed by detectives that they had intelligence that he may be targeted.

The MSP for West Scotland said that the prisoner may regard him as “unfinished business” but the threat would not derail his leadership bid. Referring to the previous attack, he said: “Of course this has changed aspects of my life but that’s been the case for many years now.

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/scotland/article/scottish-tory-russell-findlay-i-wont-let-death-threats-stop-me-kv5p85z2k

Evening Satanists PBers.

That was some truly epic projection from today's troll.
  • Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

A good day to bury bad news?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/07/27/rachel-reeves-delay-flagship-hospital-road-building/

Rachel Reeves to delay flagship hospital and road-building projects
    Stonehenge tunnel and the Lower Thames Crossing could be under threat following an ‘audit’ of the Government’s economic inheritance

Stonehenge Tunnel Delayed? That does it. May it never be glad confident morning again for them.
    Afternoon everyone!

For me delaying or indeed abandoning, the Stonehenge Tunnel would be a good thing. Stonehenge needs a bypass, well away from it. There’s probably all sorts of historical relics close to the site.
    Indeed. Only the most stupid of Governments (and I am looking at both Labour and the Tories) could have come up with a series of plans that involved damaging a world heritage site so severely there were threats its status would be revoked.

Get a sensible bypass plan in place that doesn't cut into the World Heritage site and get it built.
    I know this is your field, but I both agree and disagree with this. There is part of me that suspects that this whole project is an English Heritage-led scheme to "reconnect Stonehenge to the ancient landscape". Sorry, I meant an English Heritage-led scheme to "prevent plebs from seeing Stonehenge from the road, and turn Stonehenge into even more of a disappointing tourist trap."

On the other hand, the entire landscape around Stonehenge has been fairly well trashed by man in the last few hundred years. Go back a hundred years, and there was an airfield right next to it. I don't think the currently-planned road scheme will cause anywhere near as much damage as some claim. Archaeologists themselves seem fairly split on it.

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/stonehenge/history-and-stories/first-world-war-aerodrome/
    The airfield was a First World War landing ground - hardly anything other than grass runways, tented hangars and Nissen huts.
    There is also the slight matter of the Army messing with the stones in the '50s and concreting in some of the ones that had fallen over to put them back up.
  • Evening Satanists PBers.

Probability of Kenneth being Leon 99% to TSE 1% now gone to Evens
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455

Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/07/27/rachel-reeves-delay-flagship-hospital-road-building/

Stonehenge tunnel and the Lower Thames Crossing could be under threat following an ‘audit’ of the Government’s economic inheritance

Stonehenge Tunnel Delayed? That does it. May it never be glad confident morning again for them.
    Afternoon everyone!

For me delaying or indeed abandoning, the Stonehenge Tunnel would be a good thing. Stonehenge needs a bypass, well away from it. There’s probably all sorts of historical relics close to the site.
    Indeed. Only the most stupid of Governments (and I am looking at both Labour and the Tories) could have come up with a series of plans that involved damaging a world heritage site so severely there were threats its status would be revoked.

Get a sensible bypass plan in place that doesn't cut into the World Heritage site and get it built.
    I know this is your field, but I both agree and disagree with this. There is part of me that suspects that this whole project is an English Heritage-led scheme to "reconnect Stonehenge to the ancient landscape". Sorry, I meant an English Heritage-led scheme to "prevent plebs from seeing Stonehenge from the road, and turn Stonehenge into even more of a disappointing tourist trap."

On the other hand, the entire landscape around Stonehenge has been fairly well trashed by man in the last few hundred years. Go back a hundred years, and there was an airfield right next to it. I don't think the currently-planned road scheme will cause anywhere near as much damage as some claim. Archaeologists themselves seem fairly split on it.

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/stonehenge/history-and-stories/first-world-war-aerodrome/
    The airfield was a First World War landing ground - hardly anything other than grass runways, tented hangars and Nissen huts.
    There is also the slight matter of the Army messing with the stones in the '50s and concreting in some of the ones that had fallen over to put them back up.
    See response OPT.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,046
    ydoethur said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

He was even odder than usual, wasn’t he.

Male pronoun assumed from the troll’s name.
    ydoethur said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

Kah-ma-lah.

Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

Afternoon everyone!

Keeping bored and under-employed National Servicemen busy.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,688
    edited July 27
    I thought it was pronounced pretty much like Karma but with an l.

So a week ago there was "Instant Kamala" for Trump and Vance.
    edited July 27

ydoethur said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

I think it doesn't matter. It wasn't defining a gender but demonstrating sanity that proved beyond our Ken.
    ydoethur said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

Like with Apartheid South Africa being excluded from world sport really hurts, doubly so when Russia hosted the football World Cup and Winter Olympics in the last decade.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,597
    Chris said:

I'm sure I once heard somewhere that you say 'comma' (as in the punctuation mark) and then put a 'la' on the end.

ydoethur said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

I am aware of the irony, but they didn't lack any subtlety.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    There is NO "r" in Kamala (though two in "Harris")

Perhaps this may be helpful?

Here's How To Properly Pronounce Kamala Harris
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYkZkpLQUS0

Was helpful to me, as I've been saying "Kam-AL-ah" instead of "Kah-mah-lah".

Reckon the VP is pretty laid back about it; call me whatever EXCEPT late for breakfast!
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481

ydoethur said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

Like with Apartheid South Africa being excluded from world sport really hurts, doubly so when Russia hosted the football World Cup and Winter Olympics in the last decade.
    the ban is not as complete as it was for South Africa, some of the non affiliated sportsmen/women have dubious reasons for qualifying...
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,019

ydoethur said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

Built a new track for F1 too, had a contract to start racing there last year

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igora_Drive

Oh well...
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,322
    That was awfully close to being called out.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,969
    I thought it was Kam-A-LA (like Pamala)
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,242
    Sitting in the most French bar in the most French town in the frenchiest corner of La France profonde watching France v Fiji

Sandpit said:

That was awfully close to being called out.

I thought it was. If we’re discussing the same appeal.
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,159

Chris said:

I'm sure I once heard somewhere that you say 'comma' (as in the punctuation mark) and then put a 'la' on the end.
    But that's because Americans pronounce comma as caahma.
    Good to see the Union Jack in the Fiji flag, winding up Les grenouilles

ydoethur said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

What Kremlin's most recent PB infestation demonstrates, is the homophobic basis for the slightly more subtle anti-transgender "anti-Woke" line being pushed for ideological reasons, by majority of those pushing here, and elsewhere.

NOT all. IMHO Cyclefree and some others on PB expressing legitimate concerns re: jails and (to a degree) sports.

BUT the political motivation behind much of anti-trans is clearly warmed-over anti-gay crap, in environment where, in USA, western Europe and the like, overt homophobia is a turnoff even for most social and religious conservatives.
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,159

There is NO "r" in Kamala (though two in "Harris")

Perhaps this may be helpful?

Here's How To Properly Pronounce Kamala Harris
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYkZkpLQUS0

Was helpful to me, as I've been saying "Kam-AL-ah" instead of "Kah-mah-lah".

Reckon the VP is pretty laid back about it; call me whatever EXCEPT late for breakfast!

But in standard British English we wouldn't pronounce the r in Karmala anyway.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    Come on Fiji - for some reason France are obsessed by this sevens tournament so obvs want Fiji to win.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,351
    edited July 27
    ydoethur said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

It's comma la according to Kamala's memoir in which she wrote that her name should be pronounced like the punctuation mark "comma" and "la."

ydoethur said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

What Kremlin's most recent PB infestation demonstrates, is the homophobic basis for the slightly more subtle anti-transgender "anti-Woke" line being pushed for ideological reasons, by majority of those pushing here, and elsewhere.

NOT all. IMHO Cyclefree and some others on PB expressing legitimate concerns re: jails and (to a degree) sports.

BUT the political motivation behind much of anti-trans is clearly warmed-over anti-gay crap, in environment where, in USA, western Europe and the like, overt homophobia is a turnoff even for most social and religious conservatives.
    What a load of bollocks. Do you have friends who’ve kids have been captured by this hideous ideology and had dangerous puberty blocking drugs and horrible weird breast suppressing clothes prescribed for them at the age of 13?? I do
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,767

Evening Satanists PBers.

Don't talk shite.

1) I don't need a socket puppet account to troll PBers

2) And even more importantly I would never denigrate the Ukrainians, they have to win. Cucks like Farage will sell them out, I never will.
    Good evening, Your Satanic Majesty.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,860
    Off topic, but important for understanding American voters.

First in a series.

In recent years I have been more and more struck by the stories that our “mainstream” news organizations cover — and those that they don’t cover. And I have seen many examples at our local monopoly newspaper, the Seattle Times.

This example, in my opinion, could be a deliberate, long-running parody, but I don’t think it is — intentionally.

What, in your opinion, is the most important event in World War II? Different people will give different answers to that question, especially if they come from different nations. (In “Pacific Crucible”, Ian Toll argues that it is the attack on Pearl Harbor, and I tend to agree with him, though it might not have been, if Hitler had not declared war on the US a few days later.)

For the Seattle Times the most important event is the internment of Japanese Americans. In fact, if we judge importance by the number of column inches, the internment is more important to the newspaper than all the other events in WW II, combined. Seriously.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internment_of_Japanese_Americans

But, even so, only part of the event makes it into the newspaper. I can not recall seeing them mention, in recent years, the efforts of our government to make it up to the internees, later, notably in 1948 under President Truman, again in 1988 under President Reagan, and again in 1992 under President Bush.

Nor does the newspaper mention the heroic service of many Japanese Americans in the 442nd Infantry Regiment.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/442nd_Infantry_Regiment_(United_States)

I repeat: I don’t think those running the newspaper intend this as a parody. But it is funny.
    boulay said:

Come on Fiji - for some reason France are obsessed by this sevens tournament so obvs want Fiji to win.

It’s because they lost the rugby World Cup at home which they completely expected to win. This is the consolation prize. It’s not much but it’s something
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,351
    Continuing slow steady drift in Trump's price. Now 1.72 (58%) to Harris 2.52 (40%).
    The captions in the FRENCH tv Olympics coverage are all in English

Eg it just flashes up

“Olympic rugby sevens final: Fiji v France. Gold medal decider”

Quite unexpected. I guess it’s a global feed so they have to do that?
    Leon said:

boulay said:

It’s because they lost the rugby World Cup at home which they completely expected to win. This is the consolation prize. It’s not much but it’s something
    Yes, I’m just very salty that the country who invented it can’t be in it and the GB team were crap. Little French kids must be growing up thinking rugby is French which won’t do.
    France deservedly leading. That was a good try
    The twatty pundit called DuPont an “all time GOAT”. How the hell can DuPont be called a GOAT yet alone an all time GOAT?
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,689
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

What a load of bollocks. Do you have friends who’ve kids have been captured by this hideous ideology and had dangerous puberty blocking drugs and horrible weird breast suppressing clothes prescribed for them at the age of 13?? I do
    Is homosexuality an ideology? Is being straight an ideology? Does it have a coherent set of political beliefs, or aims? How would a homosexual government manage the economy? Would a trans government be pro or anti wealth taxes?

The idea that one's sex or sexuality is "ideological" is weird and says a lot more about you than it does about the people who just want to be left alone to their own bodies and live their own lives.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,965
    Barnesian said:

ydoethur said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

It's comma la according to Kamala's memoir in which she wrote that her name should be pronounced like the punctuation mark "comma" and "la."
    Which would be kuhma with a short uh in standard American pronunciation.
    Nigelb said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

Don't talk shite.

1) I don't need a socket puppet account to troll PBers

2) And even more importantly I would never denigrate the Ukrainians, they have to win. Cucks like Farage will sell them out, I never will.
    Good evening, Your Satanic Majesty.
    My biggest regret in life is not pursuing a career with the Foreign Office, I would have loved to have been addressed as Your Excellency and honoured with the customary GCMG (God Calls Me God.)

In alternate universe I could be our man in Washington or Paris.
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

Is homosexuality an ideology? Is being straight an ideology? Does it have a coherent set of political beliefs, or aims? How would a homosexual government manage the economy? Would a trans government be pro or anti wealth taxes?

The idea that one's sex or sexuality is "ideological" is weird and says a lot more about you than it does about the people who just want to be left alone to their own bodies and live their own lives.
    I fundamentally disagree with you but I’m not going to get into this hideous debate

I got angered by @SeaShantyIrish2 inane, offensive and ignorant remarks

I now withdraw from the argument and reluctantly congratulate France on a deserved victory in the sevens

*ungrits teeth*
    Jesus Christ calm down it’s the rugby 7s not a world war victory
  • No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,386
    Leon said:

Sitting in the most French bar in the most French town in the frenchiest corner of La France profonde watching France v Fiji

Good luck getting served then?

Off topic, but important for understanding American voters.

First in a series.

In recent years I have been more and more struck by the stories that our “mainstream” news organizations cover — and those that they don’t cover. And I have seen many examples at our local monopoly newspaper, the Seattle Times.

This example, in my opinion, could be a deliberate, long-running parody, but I don’t think it is — intentionally.

What, in your opinion, is the most important event in World War II? Different people will give different answers to that question, especially if they come from different nations. (In “Pacific Crucible”, Ian Toll argues that it is the attack on Pearl Harbor, and I tend to agree with him, though it might not have been, if Hitler had not declared war on the US a few days later.)

For the Seattle Times the most important event is the internment of Japanese Americans. In fact, if we judge importance by the number of column inches, the internment is more important to the newspaper than all the other events in WW II, combined. Seriously.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internment_of_Japanese_Americans

But, even so, only part of the event makes it into the newspaper. I can not recall seeing them mention, in recent years, the efforts of our government to make it up to the internees, later, notably in 1948 under President Truman, again in 1988 under President Reagan, and again in 1992 under President Bush.

Nor does the newspaper mention the heroic service of many Japanese Americans in the 442nd Infantry Regiment.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/442nd_Infantry_Regiment_(United_States)

I repeat: I don’t think those running the newspaper intend this as a parody. But it is funny.

Your humor less funny perhaps for actual Japanese American internees and their families.

Was good friends with the late Ruth Woo (née Oya), a major presence in Seattle politics for many decades. Who spent much of her teenage years in the camps. Afterwards, she became a significant presence, starting as secretary to two Seattle mayors and then WA Gov. Dan Evans, a moderate Republican. Ruth then went on to become political mentor to future Gov. Gary Locke, the first Asian governor on the US mainland, and numerous other politicos.

Ruth was above all a straight talker. Have a pretty good idea what she'd have to say about this "analysis".
    A longer video of the Manchester “police assault”

Shows a very very different picture indeed

https://x.com/ticerichard/status/1817260404546105410?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
    Leon said:

Apparently this “will go down as one of the greatest moments in French rugby history”. It’s the Olympic sevens. Tell us when they win the World Cup. I’m going to go down the road to the beach and moon at France.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455

Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

Afternoon everyone!

Keeping bored and under-employed National Servicemen busy.
    Wasn't - was the MoW. And archaeologists.

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/inspire-me/blog/blog-posts/excavation-restoration-stonehenge-1950s-60s/
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,907
    Fanastic win for France in the Rugby 7’s .

Very happy to see them win , Dupont is an absolute legend and great for the host nation to get an early Gold Medal.
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Apparently this “will go down as one of the greatest moments in French rugby history”. It’s the Olympic sevens. Tell us when they win the World Cup. I’m going to go down the road to the beach and moon at France.
    To be fair to the French fans here they treated it with the proper amount of celebration. Some cheers and huzzahs and applause and then ten seconds later they all moved on to talking about something else - like how to find a decent restaurant within
    100 km

I don’t reckon they see this as “one of the greatest moments in French rugby history”
    nico679 said:

Very happy to see them win , Dupont is an absolute legend and great for the host nation to get an early Gold Medal.

I shake my head at you.

With respect to ideologically driven anti-trans agitation being warmed over homophobia, neglected to say that, in addition to legitimate concerns re: jails and sport, also think concerns re: children are also very valid.

Personally am VERY skeptical about medical intervention on sexual identity basis those under 18 years of age.

That does NOT invalidate my basic point about the connection between anti-gay > anti-trans.
    Those guys in Manchester are extremely lucky they weren’t shot dead. All this in an AIRPORT
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,017
    edited July 27
    enrick currently ahead with Tory MPs ahead of close of nominations next week with 4.

Cleverly and Petel tied for second with 3 each, Tugendhat and Badenoch joint 3rd with 2 each.

Braverman and Stride look to go out at the first hurdle with 0 MPs backing them at present

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eXBJ7cVfNYj0pR-39kzFep4LWoIWcb47DBQ347LoNOY/edit?gid=0#gid=0
    Another suspect for our recent troll.

Speaker Johnson blasts Olympics for mocking Christians, Last Supper
    https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4796094-olympic-opening-ceremony-criticism/

Also held up Ukraine aid for six months.

I rest my case.
    Trump clearly prefers the 3rd option
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,096
    edited July 27
    FF43 said:

Barnesian said:

ydoethur said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

And closer to the British pronunciation of comma, as Indians often say cam, if you see what I mean. Also, often the middle syllable almost disappears, as in the Irish Colm; I thought at first President Biden gabbled her name but that seems to be it.

One is reminded of Colin Powell, universally Coh-lin except he admitted his parents used the traditional British pronunciation with the short o.
    If I violently assaulted an armed police officer IN AN AIRPORT and then came back to do it AGAIN five seconds later I would fully expect to be shot dead and I would not want my family to complain

What an utter utter load of contrived race-baiting bolleux
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,026
    Leon said:

https://x.com/ticerichard/status/1817260404546105410?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

Do you remember the Rodney King incident in Los Angeles which prompted riots? That was not entirely dissimilar. The preceding footage of King repeatedly attempting to drive his car at speed at policemen didn't come out until later.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,907
    edited July 27

nico679 said:

I shake my head at you.

Why ! I love France and have lived there in the past. Beautiful country , and lovely people. Parisians can though be a bit annoying and irritate the rest of France!
    edited July 27

Evening Satanists PBers.

One thing that seems to have united Christians and Muslims on twitter is condemnation of that drag themed last supper at the opening ceremony, whether intentional or not.

Also united US House Speaker Johnson, Elon Musk and Le Pen's niece in opposition
    https://x.com/SpeakerJohnson/status/1817229481972473922
    https://x.com/MarionMarechal/status/1816925819077296174
  • pancakespancakes Posts: 34
    FF43 said:

Barnesian said:

ydoethur said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

No. Americans pronounce "comma" the same way that Brits pronounce "karma". (They are different in American English, not because of the vowel but because of the "r".)

Americans don't have a short o sound - they substitute the "ah" of "father" or "calm".

She is recommending kar-mala, although Americans would never transcribe the sound as "ar" because to most Americans "ar" denotes a rhotic sound.

With respect to ideologically driven anti-trans agitation being warmed over homophobia, neglected to say that, in addition to legitimate concerns re: jails and sport, also think concerns re: children are also very valid.

Personally am VERY skeptical about medical intervention on sexual identity basis those under 18 years of age.

That does NOT invalidate my basic point about the connection between anti-gay > anti-trans.

Fair enough. But you should have said this crucial part in your first ill-advised remark

For many many people it’s THIS that really troubles them. The medical and physical interventions and brainwashing of kids under 18, under 16, even under 12. It’s sick and it’s wrong and it’s much more common than many people realise

Lots of families have been destroyed by this
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    edited July 27
    Leon said:

Just checking, the semi- or unconscious tazered prone guy at the end of that clip was the same one who had his head kicked and stamped on in the follow on clip? What do you think the cop was trying to achieve with his boot?

Leon said:

Just checking, the semi or unconscious tazered prone guy at the end of that clip was the same one who had his head kicked and stamped on in the follow on clip? What do you think the cop was trying to achieve with his boot?
    The cop should have shot them
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

I shake my head at you.

Why ! I love France and have lived there in the past. Beautiful country , and lovely people. Parisians can though be a bit annoying and irritate the rest of France!
    The French tried to assault and tear gas me two years ago because they and UEFA screwed up.
    Interesting thread.

In 2020 I led a study on gendered abuse and disinfo against women political candidates. We found 336k pieces of abuse & disinfo targeting 13 candidates; 78% of that targeted Kamala Harris. After Biden’s endorsement, here are some narratives and tropes we should look out for: (1/)
    https://x.com/wiczipedia/status/1815114243265708128
    Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

To be fair to the French fans here they treated it with the proper amount of celebration. Some cheers and huzzahs and applause and then ten seconds later they all moved on to talking about something else - like how to find a decent restaurant within
    100 km

I don’t reckon they see this as “one of the greatest moments in French rugby history”
    I quite enjoyed that. We were debating whether to support France becaùse Fiji always win, or Fiji because France will win plenty of othet medals. We went for Fiji, but France played so well it was hard not to enjoy their victory.

Now we're back to bloody Claire Balding. Stop talking and show us some sport, Claire. In particular stop talking about people's feelings. One of the glories of sport is that it gives us a break from talking about people's feelings.
    HYUFD said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

One thing that seems to have united Christians and Muslims on twitter is condemnation of that drag themed last supper at the opening ceremony, whether intentional or not
    And Russian trolls and MAGA types. Funny thing is it barely registered at the time, and don't recall PB's finest minds picking up on it. Did someone post a tweet from Le Pen?
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,119
    HYUFD said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

One thing that seems to have united Christians and Muslims on twitter is condemnation of that drag themed last supper at the opening ceremony, whether intentional or not.

Also united US House Speaker Johnson, Elon Musk and Le Pen's niece in opposition
    Every opening ceremony worth its salt needs something to annoy online right wingers. We had the weird NHS bed jumping scene in 2012.

It’s only fair. The entire fact of hosting the olympics seems to have annoyed online French left wingers. So they’re even.
    HYUFD said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

It was intentional. The idiot creator, a gay guy called Thomas jolly, says he wanted to provoke and polarise people

Brilliant idea. At an Olympics opening ceremony

@Tweedledee amusingly called it the “Woke Waterloo”

I doubt that’s right but let’s hope so
    edited July 27
    HYUFD said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

Also united US House Speaker Johnson, Elon Musk, Salvini, the French Catholic Bishop's Conference and Le Pen's niece in opposition
    https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/international/us/olympics-2024-opening-ceremony-last-supper-act-sparks-controversy-elon-musk-catholic-church-react-sharply/articleshow/112068374.cms?from=mdr
  • Nigelb said:

Another suspect for our recent troll.

Speaker Johnson blasts Olympics for mocking Christians, Last Supper
    https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4796094-olympic-opening-ceremony-criticism/

Also held up Ukraine aid for six months.

I rest my case.

Presumably you think the entire Catholic Bishops Conference of France are also suspect for our recent troll after condeming that vile sectarian display?
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Just checking, the semi or unconscious tazered prone guy at the end of that clip was the same one who had his head kicked and stamped on in the follow on clip? What do you think the cop was trying to achieve with his boot?
    The cop should have shot them
    He was lucky not to be shot so fully deserved a deliberate attempt to give him brain damage with a boot? Ok.

HYUFD said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

One thing that seems to have united Christians and Muslims on twitter is condemnation of that drag themed last supper at the opening ceremony, whether intentional or not
    And Russian trolls and MAGA types. Funny thing is it barely registered at the time, and don't recall PB's finest minds picking up on it. Did someone post a tweet from Le Pen?
    I breezed through briefly at the time and thought: "typical - French - gratuitously weird - Olympics - probably woke." But in the 10 seconds I had to gain an impression I hafn't picked up they were parodying the last supper.
    It upset me briefly because it was shit and unnecessary and unnecessarily shit, but not enough not to blandly go back to the cricket highlights in the other room.
    TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

Every opening ceremony worth its salt needs something to annoy online right wingers. We had the weird NHS bed jumping scene in 2012.

It’s only fair. The entire fact of hosting the olympics seems to have annoyed online French left wingers. So they’re even.
    It’s all fine to mock until a populist or similar country hosts and it’s all goose stepping and marvelling at the prowess of that country and the lefties get triggered, I seem to remember Beijing ceremony triggering a lot of the left due to the control and organisation and celebration of China above all else.

Obvs the left don’t get triggered watching re-runs of Berlin and all that?

Maybe at a global event just don’t rub anyone’s noses in it. Or rub everyone’s noses in it but that takes a bit of bravery.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,472

Leon said:

Just checking, the semi- or unconscious tazered prone guy at the end of that clip was the same one who had his head kicked and stamped on in the follow on clip? What do you think the cop was trying to achieve with his boot?
    I criticised the initial video for starting too late, and wondered what it was not showing of what happened earlier. It is clear that that the point it started to show the action had been carefully chosen to show the police in the worst possible light.

I will likewise criticise this video for ending too early; it does not show the whole incident. Did the kicking happen immediately after it ended, or some time after?

This video does show the violence that the police had been subjected to, and it was worse than I expected. But I doubt it will change many minds.
    HYUFD said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

The mullahs and priests in nighties and frocks should be the only ones allowed to drag up, as any fule kno.
    edited July 27
    TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

The NHS bed jumping scene was nowhere near as provocative as this and we had Churchill and Brunel and the Industrial Revolution and Shakespeare in London's too. Where were Napoleon, Charlemagne, Moliere, De Gaulle, Joan of Arc, Monet in the Paris ceremony?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470
    Leon said:

The problem is social media.

Half the bloody world has made their minds up based on some grainy iphone footage before a date can even begin to be found for a jury of peers can be even assembled.

You can't uninvent things.

But...jeez...

social media...
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470
    Ignore the politics of this. How bloody bizarre is this? A gathering of golf carts?

Is this normal in USA?

https://x.com/joncoopertweets/status/1817254491076653544
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 27
    HYUFD said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

I recall that when Vermin decided to put statues of the Virgin Mary in some of their shops, it was militant Islamic protestors (peace be upon them) who put an end to it in short order.
    One easy way to tell Kamala was not the “border czar” is that 214 House Republicans voted to impeach *a different member of the cabinet* over the border situation.

https://x.com/stanveuger/status/1817184240783532157
    HYUFD said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

The NHS bed jumping scene was nowhere near as provocative as this and we had Churchill and Brunel and the Industrial Revolution and Shakespeare in London's too. Where were Napoleon, Charlemagne, Moliere, De Gaulle, Joan of Arc, Monet in the Paris ceremony?
    Napoleon was there, wasn't he, or am I just remembering the BBC chap wittering on about Austerlitz as they passed under the bridge? There did seem to be a lot of un-French stuff, from Lady Gaga to Roger Federer.

Liberté, égalité, fraternité was an organising theme. Did the trans last supper come under égalité?
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,448

kamski said:

KnightOut said:

Tom Tugendhat was labelled as the 'centrist' or 'liberal' or my favourite 'one nation' Tory but here he is standing up for the Jews at a general election hustings in a way one would normally only associate with hard right culture warriors.

https://x.com/lewisUTBdenison/status/1816503419743404219

'Hard-right culture warriors stand up for the Jews'?

Have you read any 20th century history?
    Post-war Soviet Revisionism rather than history per se.

We've allowed a specific narrative to take hold, but contemporary Western reporting of the rise of Nazism didn't generally describe it as hard or far right. Or 'right' at all. Totalitarian, Nationalistic, Fascist - it was described in many ways but not really as a position on a Left-Right spectrum.

In the years they followed it became very important for the Eastern Bloc to distance and differentiate their own brand of Authoritarianism by othering the defeated regime. Communism was already accepted as far left, so it was convenient to forge a narrative where Nazism was the opposite, and therefore 'far right', conflating that side with evil and their own with good.

It was reductive, simplistic and absolutely fucking bollocks of course, but it stuck.

History being written by the winners is nothing new, but it's interesting to see how the terminology gets retconned and how different the tone of contemporaneous accounts frequently is.

Any examples of these contemporary accounts? Hitler was supported by the right in Germany and abroad, outlawed persecuted and murdered leftwingers in Germany etc. It's news to me that calling the Nazis far right is just an invention of soviet revisionism
    Hitler was a contemporary socialist. A nationalist socialist but a socialist nonetheless.

Yes Hitler murdered leftwingers in Germany. He also murdered Jews, centrists, right wingers and anyone else who could be a threat to his regime or didn't tow the line sufficiently.

Soviet Russia and Maoist China and the Khmer Rouge also murdered a lot of leftwingers too.

The violence between branches of leftwingers whether it be between Bolsheviks and Trots or anyone else is nothing new.

The phrase "tankie" dates bank to the Soviets sending tanks to murder left wingers rising up in Hungary.

If killing leftwingers makes you far right, then Joseph Stalin must be far right too with the amount of leftwing blood he had on his hands.
    I accept the politics horseshoe theory of course but you have to stretch credibility a bit to claim Hitler was a left-winger.

Were the Nazis not fascists or are fascists not right-wing in your opinion?
    Fascists are not right wing in my opinion.

They are authoritarian.

Right wing is a belief in a free market, left wing is a belief in a managed economy.

Fascism is a belief in a militarised managed economy. It is more left than right, but the thing that makes it distinctive is the militarised authoritarianism more than either left or right.
    ‘All children of the world, you must look at this tweet so we can check how wrong this is’

https://x.com/jasonreiduk/status/1817224047798735133?s=61&t=LYVEHh2mqFy1oUJAdCfe-Q
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,607

One easy way to tell Kamala was not the “border czar” is that 214 House Republicans voted to impeach *a different member of the cabinet* over the border situation.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/biden-taps-harris-lead-coordination-efforts-southern-border-n1261952

Biden tasks Harris with 'stemming the migration' on southern border

The vice president is expected to focus on both curbing the current flow of migrants and coordinating with countries in the region to address the root causes of migration.
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

It was intentional. The idiot creator, a gay guy called Thomas jolly, says he wanted to provoke and polarise people

Like the renaming of the Brecon Beacons. And indeed drag queen story time. So much of what the right get annoyed at is because those in minor positions of power are actively thinking "what can we do which will annoy people?"

The NHS thing at the London Olympics doesn't really fall into that category. Right wing people's reaction wasn't a furious " we are offended by the existence of the NHS" but a weary "must we really venerate this institution? It's like venerating the DVLA."

That's not conclusive.

The House Republican caucus are such a bunch of dumbarses they would impeach the Pope for being anti-abortion if Trump suggested it.

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

I shake my head at you.

The French tried to assault and tear gas me two years ago because they and UEFA screwed up.
    In fairness, it wasn't all 65 million of them.
    And we can't hold their rugby team responsible for the actions of their football authorities and police.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,874
    edited July 27
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

I think the idea of causing offence for no reason except self-indulgence is absurd and nihilistic. He could just have easily have hit himself in the face with a brick for all the value attaching to it.

The closest parallel I can recall is probably someone in my class aged about 13 who mooned out of a coach window on the M1. The gent he mooned at took down the number.

He subsequently got to iirc repeat his performance * for the Deputy Head, a modest amount of cane for the application of - this being ~1980.

* TBF I am not clear on whether it was Sans Cullottes or not.

HYUFD said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

I recall that when Vermin decided to put statues of the Virgin Mary in some of their shops, it was militant Islamic protestors (peace be upon them) who put an end to it in short order.
    Jesus though is a prophet to Muslims too though, they just don't believe in the Trinity
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,650
    Evening all. Only been dipping in and out for the last few weeks as so ludicrously busy. After my 14 hour late arrival home last weekend I then set off back south on the Sunday on a 4 day trip. Next week? London and Newmarket.

I’m my own worst enemy. Started another business this week, and spend various unspecified time sorting things out for setup on that. Including all day today faffing with my office and in the stockrooms to basically shift client webstore stock out of the way to make room for my soon to be incoming webstore stock…
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,736
    HYUFD said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

Lost opportunity in not including Joan of Arc at the lighting of the Olympic flame....
    edited July 27
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

If he wanted a way to swing provincial France further towards Le Pen in 2027 that was it, it might be clever in largely leftwing and woke Paris it won't have played so well beyond
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,448
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

Like the renaming of the Brecon Beacons. And indeed drag queen story time. So much of what the right get annoyed at is because those in minor positions of power are actively thinking "what can we do which will annoy people?"

The NHS thing at the London Olympics doesn't really fall into that category. Right wing people's reaction wasn't a furious " we are offended by the existence of the NHS" but a weary "must we really venerate this institution? It's like venerating the DVLA."
    What the f##k is wrong with drag time story time?

I loved Mrs Doubtfire as a kid.

Drag has an ancient history in kids stories. Get over yourself if that bothers you.
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

If he wanted a way to swing provincial France further towards Le Pen in 2027 that was it, it might be clever in leftwing Paris it won't have played so well beyond
    Woke Danny Boyle responsible for Brexit and associated unflushable turds?!
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 27
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

Jesus though is a prophet to Muslims too though, they just don't believe in the Trinity
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Evening Satanists PBers.

Indeed, and they don't much like prophet #2 in rank being mocked, or His mother [Mary / Miriam] who they venerate greatly.

They have also got wise to atheist elites trying to use them for divide and rule.
    HYUFD said:

enrick currently ahead with Tory MPs ahead of close of nominations next week with 4.

Cleverly and Petel tied for second with 3 each, Tugendhat and Badenoch joint 3rd with 2 each.

Braverman and Stride look to go out at the first hurdle with 0 MPs backing them at present

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eXBJ7cVfNYj0pR-39kzFep4LWoIWcb47DBQ347LoNOY/edit?gid=0#gid=0

So that is just 4 + 3 + 3 +2 + 2 = 14 MPs out of 121 so about 100 still up for grabs.
This discussion has been closed.