Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ed Miliband’s “No EU Referendum” move might be less of a g

SystemSystem Posts: 11,698
edited March 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ed Miliband’s “No EU Referendum” move might be less of a gamble than it looks

We are now just ten weeks away from the Euro Elections and today sees Ed Miliband make a speech in which, effectively, he rules out offering an referendum on whether the UK should stay IN or OUT.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    I don't think it makes much difference what the party leaders promise. The people who really care about this won't believe them.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Where can I read the archive threads of PB? The link to July 2007 goes to the articles but not the threads of comments. I thought they were all supposed to be safely archived somewhere?
  • Options

I don't think it makes much difference what the party leaders promise. The people who really care about this won't believe them.

Quite so.

What is perhaps worthy of further investigation is the proportion of referenda which lead to change and the proportion leading to the status quo.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060
    It's an interesting result. The Scottish Referendum shows that it is important to get all the details firmly set out before any such referenda - and in this case, it should be easier than in Scotland.

But many questions remain. What would 'leaving the EU' mean for the average person on the street? For businesses? Are there any parts of the EU we'd like to remain in, or part of, and that would require negotiation? What about EFTA?
  • Options
    Off-topic:

Germany's green plans hit trouble:
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn24914#.Ux_6bvnV9RI
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Not having a referendum would be fine. The actual policy is messy and looks duplicitous. And why have an In/Out policy on a proposed transfer of powers?

You can't be all things to all men.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    The most expensive fairy tale in history...

@TelePolitics: Alex Salmond's independence blueprint cost Scottish taxpayers £1.3m http://t.co/VAed3Gce59
  • Options
    @HenrySmithMP: That Ed Miliband/Vicky Pollard EU referendum pledge in full: No, but yer, but no, but yer, but no, but yer, but no, but...shut-up!
  • Options
    antifrank said:

You can't be all things to all men.

Clearly you've never had an input to a Party election manifesto...

My own immediate reaction was: in office, he'll discover that his preconditions for a referendum never quite get met. In fact I am unclear whether Labour and Tories don't actually have the same policy on this subject, just wearing slightly different clothes...

• Options

Off-topic:

Germany's green plans hit trouble:
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn24914#.Ux_6bvnV9RI

IIUC the coal increase is probably temporary, and the reduction in subsidies partly reflects very fast renewable growth, which mean the subsidies cost more than anticipated, and are needed less.

PS I'm not denying that they're doofuses for shutting down their nuclear plants...
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530

You surely aren't trying to imply that tory Eurosceptics are hilariously gullible when it comes to all of Cammie's Cast Iron EU Pledges are you?

If that were the case then we would have had some sign of anger and mistrust long before now from his own backbench MPs after they belatedly realised they had been taken for gullible fools. Again and again and again and again and again.

• Options
    "The finding could also help Nick Clegg who has positioned the LDs as the party of IN and, of course, he’s due to have his public debates with Nigel Farage. Maybe the niche market that Clegg was aiming for is larger than we think. "

I must have missed the part where calamity Clegg made a Cast Iron Pledge for an IN/OUT referendum. After all, who wouldn't believe a Clegg manifesto commitment these days? Luckily it will never occur to Farage to raise that with him repeatedly at the debate and bring along a prop to wave in Clegg's face.

Like this.

Tim Scott ‏@timscottukip Feb 20

Lib Dem EU Referendum leaflet: here it is, from before the last election where Clegg promises us an EU Referendum: pic.twitter.com/afWIuZzQoK
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,955
    The only problem Ed might have on this is that it might mean a few UKIPers going back to the Tories. I doubt voters inclined to Labour will be that interested.
  • Options
    @isaby: So @Ed_Miliband is to announce he's found another way of denying British people an EU referendum. Why bother getting out of bed to say that?
  • Options
    For those gullible Eurosceptics and scottish tory surgers with an amusingly short memory.
    Conservatives could hold Lisbon Treaty referendum after ratification

A Conservative government could hold a referendum on the European Union's Lisbon Treaty even if it has already been ratified, William Hague has said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/3097376/Conservatives-could-hold-Lisbon-Treaty-referendum-after-ratification.html
    No wonder Cammie's own MPs trust him so much on the EU.

LOL

:)
  • Options
    Off-topic:

A man grows an epic beard whilst walking 3,000 miles through China in a year.
    http://www.lifebuzz.com/chris-walks/

This video makes me want to hoist my rucksack onto my shoulders once more and disappear for another year. Although I doubt that Mrs J would be waiting for me when I finish...

There's something about open spaces that calls me, that makes me want to know them intimately, to experience them, to feel them with my toes and my hands. To walk across or through them. It's at the core of my being. It's also the hardest thing you can do, both physically and especially mentally. Loneliness is a killer.

Yet I yearn to go back out there, to walk (say) the European or Japanese coasts.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    Not sure I'd describe calling a referendum on a policy that has massive importance (whichever way your views on it are), but where your preferred option only has a net 2% majority support - at best - and where 15% are undecided as "less of a gamble".

FWIW, I think In would probably win, by between 5-10% were there a referendum on existing terms, but it'd be grudging and wouldn't settle the debate. If Cameron could get the referendum on the terms he wants - whether that be a series of UK opt-outs or more fundamental reform - I'd anticipate a 20%+ majority for In. If he tries and fails, Out should win.

Actually, I think Miliband's position is potentially more of a gamble than a straight In/Out, never mind Cameron's renegotiation ploy.

By tying a vote to a Treaty, that will almost certainly have significant opposition if it plans to pass more power to Brussels, that would boost the No vote. It's not just the BOOers but those opposed to the Treaty who'd be against. After all, countries like France, Ireland, Denmark and the Netherlands have voted against treaties before. If they can, Britain can. Putting the UK's membership on the table may not be enough to swing the balance back - and if it does, it'd undermine the legitimacy of the vote by bringing in threats that wouldn't be relevant (as other countries would probably have referendums too without the same issues tied to No).
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360
    The threat of a referendum which might result in an out decision is a key part of Cameron's renegotiation strategy. He is basically saying that you have to give me something that I can sell to the British people or the second biggest paymaster in the EU may well leave.

In saying he does not want a referendum Miliband is not playing this game. So if he is elected there will be no substantive renegotiation either. Ed is pretty well wedded to the EU as it is. Labour has not really moved on (at least in his case) from their Blairite policy of being at the heart of Europe. I suspect he will want to sign up for the full panoply of opt outs as well.

So there is a choice between the parties on this subject for those that care.

For those that just want out, plain and simple, the choice is slightly more complex. A renegotiated package presented by the tories or even most tories as a reason for staying in will probably win but at least there will be a vote and a chance of obtaining their objective, probably the only chance in their lifetimes. Or they can vote for a party that makes a youtube video of a witty speech in a Parliament no one gives a damn about every few years.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    A canny move by Ed. The BOOers were never going to vote for him anyway. This way he can retain some of the soft LD voters. These LD to Labour switchers are essential for him.

Ed is most definitely not crap, and the BOOers are playing fantasy politrix.
  • Options
    More riots in Turkey:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26540220

RIP Berkin Elvan.
  • Options

A canny move by Ed. The BOOers were never going to vote for him anyway. This way he can retain some of the soft LD voters. These LD to Labour switchers are essential for him.

True. Nick's USP as the only party of In has been rather undermined by this.

• Options
    It is also more than possible that there is an element of principle in this too. Of course Miliband Senior was born in Belgium and his father in what is now Poland. This is a family with roots across the EU. Ed wants to stay in.
    DavidL said:

True. Nick's USP as the only party of In has been rather undermined by this.

• Options
    Scotland will vote NO to independence. The payoff for them, though, will then be some sort of devomax or deepening of their existing powers. Which is I suspect exactly what most Scots want anyway.

Much as it pains me to accept it, I think the UK would vote NO to leaving the EU also. But the vote would be close and the issue of the UK's continued membership would always be in doubt. Maybe the UK's payoff would be triggering some sort of devomax within the EU for the non-Eurozone countries. Maybe that's what we really want anyway.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Is there some part of "your own side doesn't trust you" the obsequious Cameroons don't get?

Telegraph News ‏@TelegraphNews

Michael Portillo says Britain should quit the EU and that Cameron's promise of a referendum is an 'insincere ploy' http://soa.li/OlB5ajl
  • Options
    Ok, here is the morning challenge: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationquestions/10690391/Can-you-pass-the-National-Numeracy-Challenge.html

I got caught out on the last one which teaches me the peril of having my wife do my VAT books for me!
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

The only problem Ed might have on this is that it might mean a few UKIPers going back to the Tories. I doubt voters inclined to Labour will be that interested.

Big danger for Ukip - If Lab win on this ticket there is a big stick for the Cons to beat them probably to death with.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Scotland will vote NO to independence. The payoff for them, though, will then be some sort of devomax or deepening of their existing powers. Which is I suspect exactly what most Scots want anyway.

Much as it pains me to accept it, I think the UK would vote NO to leaving the EU also. But the vote would be close and the issue of the UK's continued membership would always be in doubt. Maybe the UK's payoff would be triggering some sort of devomax within the EU for the non-Eurozone countries. Maybe that's what we really want anyway.

Can you - or anyone else, for that matter - point me to a site which discusses this further, ideally listing those powers which would be repatriated under such a "devomax" arrangement?

I suspect there is a rationale for the Tory & Labour parties to grope towards a common policy in this area, leaving the fanatics on either side to the two minor parties...

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Apart from nation forming referenda, such as the Scottish vote, what is all this drivel about referenda.

MP's should have their salary reduced by 50% every time they abrogate their responsibilities to the voters and opt for a referendum.

Next ....
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    Why do we need a referendum on the EU? Total sideshow - a waste of time. We are not Switzerland. Why no referendum on being a member of NATO? Or the Commonwealth?
    These are organisations we signed up to long ago.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Apart from nation forming referenda, such as the Scottish vote, what is all this drivel about referenda.

MP's should have their salary reduced by 50% every time they abrogate their responsibilities to the voters and opt for a referendum.

Next ....

Oh, so Blair should have created a London mayoralty without a referendum - because he had a Parliamentary majority, because he had a majority of London MPs, or both, or what?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Big danger for Ukip - If Lab win on this ticket there is a big stick for the Cons to beat them probably to death with.
    The perfect scenario for Labour - the Right tearing themselves apart while Labour get on with governing in peace.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

Why do we need a referendum on the EU? Total sideshow - a waste of time. We are not Switzerland. Why no referendum on being a member of NATO? Or the Commonwealth?

Come to the dark side @BobaFett ....

• Options

Patrick said:

Can you - or anyone else, for that matter - point me to a site which discusses this further, ideally listing those powers which would be repatriated under such a "devomax" arrangement?

I suspect there is a rationale for the Tory & Labour parties to grope towards a common policy in this area, leaving the fanatics on either side to the two minor parties...

I can't. And I wish I could. It is one of my deep frustrations with Dave that he talks of repatriating powers from the EU but seems incapable of saying what powers. And this is why, as MickPork points out, his backbenchers don't trust him. Bad politics. He should believe something solid and state it openly.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Next ....

Agreed. We are a representative democracy, not Switzerland.
  • Options

JackW said:

Next ....

Oh, so Blair should have created a London mayoralty without a referendum - because he had a Parliamentary majority, because he had a majority of London MPs, or both, or what?
    Because Parliament is sovereign.

• Options
    @LIAMT

Mrs T abolished the GLC without a poll. Why not?
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

@LIAMT

Bless you. She never made any mistakes...

• Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Next ....

Because Parliament is sovereign.

Jack, your lesson for to-day is to go away & find out what Parliamentary sovereignty actually means.

• Options

BobaFett said:

@LIAMT

Bless you. She never made any mistakes...

Governments always make mistakes but they are mistakes founded on a parliamentary majority that the punters may expunge every five years.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Patrick said:

What do you base your expert opinion on , what makes you think it will not be YES.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

I think we should have a referendum on the EU because the EU is massively different to what was signed up to back in the 70s. A lot of the public aren't happy with the way the EU is going, all the federal, ever closer integration malarkey, and I think it's about time that we had a pause, and asked ourselves where we want to go with it.
    I'd probably vote to stay in, and I think most people would do the same, but at the minute, we're mistrustful of the EU, and of our own politicians.
    Milliband is fully signed up to the EU, and doesn't want a referendum to get in the way of his PM ambitions, and he certainly wouldn't want to be the PM that was in the hotseat if we somehow voted to leave.
    Milliband is a coward on the EU, but, no more cowardly than Clegg or Cameron. They don't trust us to have a say, and that will bite them on the arse in a few years, as kicking the can down the road now will only lead to more unrest over the next few years.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

What do you base your expert opinion on , what makes you think it will not be YES.
    @Patrick is a firm follower of McARSE and accordingly is a man of impeccable discernment.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

Erm...the polls. You're going to get about 40%. Suck it up. And then enjoy your devomax!
  • Options

Patrick said:

The answer will be silence. You get lies from people like Brown and Ming Campbell about some airy fairy future powers bollocks. It will never happen, if Scotland is stupid enough to vote NO it can look forward to being devastated as the unionists get free rein to plunder our wealth , cut our budgets and repatriate powers from Holyrood whilst cutting the meagre number of Scottish MPs.
    There are no plans to give more powers , vague promises of jam tomorrow which will disappear like snow off a dyke is the best we will see.

A NO vote is a NO HOPE vote.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    edited March 2014
    JackW said:

Next ....

Similarly for each power conferred to Brussels via treaty. :')
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    BobaFett said:

TGOHF said:

The perfect scenario for Labour - the Right tearing themselves apart while Labour get on with governing in peace.
    In peace ? Nah I'm sure. Labour will start a few illegal wars as usual.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

Erm...the polls. You're going to get about 40%. Suck it up. And then enjoy your devomax!
    So as suspected you are just a plonker blowing out his ARSE.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

The answer will be silence. You get lies from people like Brown and Ming Campbell about some airy fairy future powers bollocks. It will never happen, if Scotland is stupid enough to vote NO it can look forward to being devastated as the unionists get free rein to plunder our wealth , cut our budgets and repatriate powers from Holyrood whilst cutting the meagre number of Scottish MPs.
    There are no plans to give more powers , vague promises of jam tomorrow which will disappear like snow off a dyke is the best we will see.

Yep, voting no will cement the UK constitutional framework for an eternity

Hopeless, more like.....
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

So as suspected you are just a plonker blowing out his ARSE.
    Did I not recently offer you 20 quid if YES gets more than 45%? And you give me 20 quid if it's less than 45%? Surely that's free money if you believe what you say.
  • Options
    RobD said:

JackW said:

Next ....

Similarly for each power conferred to Brussels via treaty. :')
    No.

Treaties signed off by Parliament are fine.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

...you forgot the lamentation of your women...
  • Options
    Right, I'm off. Bridge at the U3A is calling...
  • Options
    I do not think that Miliband is a coward. Just that he wants to stay in, as do the vast majority of his party. Continued splits in the Right over the issue are his best chance of keeping power as PM for a long time. Nothing would please him more than the Tories tearing themselves up over the issue again and again, and they do seem likely to do so.

Mind you I remember when Labour was the party of out and the Tories were the party of in!

UKIP seem to be losing momentum and flagging. The Euro crisis may not be properly over, but it is certainly off our news. A poor performance in the Euros by the kippers could change a lot.

I can see Mikes tip for Conservatives top in the Euros still being value.

BobaFett said:

I think we should have a referendum on the EU because the EU is massively different to what was signed up to back in the 70s. A lot of the public aren't happy with the way the EU is going, all the federal, ever closer integration malarkey, and I think it's about time that we had a pause, and asked ourselves where we want to go with it.
    I'd probably vote to stay in, and I think most people would do the same, but at the minute, we're mistrustful of the EU, and of our own politicians.
    Milliband is fully signed up to the EU, and doesn't want a referendum to get in the way of his PM ambitions, and he certainly wouldn't want to be the PM that was in the hotseat if we somehow voted to leave.
    Milliband is a coward on the EU, but, no more cowardly than Clegg or Cameron. They don't trust us to have a say, and that will bite them on the arse in a few years, as kicking the can down the road now will only lead to more unrest over the next few years.

• Options

Not sure I'd describe calling a referendum on a policy that has massive importance (whichever way your views on it are), but where your preferred option only has a net 2% majority support - at best - and where 15% are undecided as "less of a gamble".

FWIW, I think In would probably win, by between 5-10% were there a referendum on existing terms, but it'd be grudging and wouldn't settle the debate. If Cameron could get the referendum on the terms he wants - whether that be a series of UK opt-outs or more fundamental reform - I'd anticipate a 20%+ majority for In. If he tries and fails, Out should win.

Actually, I think Miliband's position is potentially more of a gamble than a straight In/Out, never mind Cameron's renegotiation ploy.

By tying a vote to a Treaty, that will almost certainly have significant opposition if it plans to pass more power to Brussels, that would boost the No vote. It's not just the BOOers but those opposed to the Treaty who'd be against. After all, countries like France, Ireland, Denmark and the Netherlands have voted against treaties before. If they can, Britain can. Putting the UK's membership on the table may not be enough to swing the balance back - and if it does, it'd undermine the legitimacy of the vote by bringing in threats that wouldn't be relevant (as other countries would probably have referendums too without the same issues tied to No).

Cameron's plan has the same problem. He'd end up with a bit of right-wingery like opting out of the working time directive again, but he isn't prepared to let the voters reject that, which will make it hard for the "in" side to get the (mainly centre-left) vote out.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Why on earth would anyone pay any credence to a YouGov poll? Their results bounce around more than a pogo stick. 10 minutes on any busy street stopping passers-by would tell a researcher that most British people wish to leave the EU though perhaps few are aware of the potential ramifications.

The Tory onslaught on Milibland's EU position started within seconds of it being leaked on Twitter last night.

Interestingly John Rentoul that great defender of all things Blairite told me last night he expects Crossover in 6 months time.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    I always find
    Patrick said:

It is worth remembering that that's exactly what Eurozone countries want too. They want banking union. They don't want non-Eurozone members preventing them from putting in place the structures needed to make the Eurozone more durable. This means deeper integration for the Eurozone members, and the quid pro quo has to be shallower integration for non-EZ members such as ourselves, Sweden, and Denmark.

That said, there is clearly a limit: and freedom of movement across the EU is that limit. If you don't like the EU because you don't like that Romanians have the right to live and work in the UK, then there is no way that any renegotiation is going to get you anything you like.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,039
    Report yesterday, admittedly second hand from a local Conservative activist and senior local councillor, a Eurosceptic, to the effect that she’d been a briefing meeting (part of the run-up to the Euro elections) and come back saying that although she didn’t like it, Britain was better off IN.

Emphasises the idea that Cameron will offer a referendum but campaign for IN. Rather what he did with AV.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Patrick said:

malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

Revealingly Malcom was only prepared to bet on variations around 33% for Yes. In his heart he knows Jack's Arse is smack bang on the money.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    DavidL said:

Ok, here is the morning challenge: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationquestions/10690391/Can-you-pass-the-National-Numeracy-Challenge.html

I got caught out on the last one which teaches me the peril of having my wife do my VAT books for me!

@DavidL

What the Telegraph does not say but the Mail does (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2578724/Try-numeracy-test-experts-say-poor-maths-costing-economy-20bn-year.html) is that the Gold Level is equivalent to GCSE A*-C.

This shows the ghastly grade inflation that has happened and you are even invited to use a calculator for what is just simple mental arithmetic. This test shows that 50% of the adult population has the numeracy ability of a primary school child.

In fact the Gold Level questions are far below the standard of my poor village school when we prepared for the 11+ , at a time when mental arithmetic was separated from written arithmetic.

I have a workbook written by a girl of 8 dated 1843 who completed far harder questions than the Gold Level.

No wonder we are bringing over maths teachers from Shanghai to show us what we had forgotten from the 1950s-1960s. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-26533428) and the UK is split between the readers and non-readers (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-26515836).

How much longer must we continue to fund teachers who cannot teach, schools that are not competent and teaching methods advocated by academic educationalists which are proven failures.

Yet we expect our children to compete in a global economy when they finish their education!! At this rate the world will export its rubbish to the UK (instead of India and Africa) for recycling as that is all our descendants will be able to do.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

The Unionist parties should actually state that devolution has gone as far as it is going. If Westminster devolves any more powers to Holyrood then it might as well just give Scotland independence.

Scots are vastly over represented by politicians. Assuming we get a NO vote, all 59 Westminster seats should be culled. Instead the 56 Regional MSPs should automatically represent Scotland at Westminster. Scottish MPs at Westminster frankly have little or nothing to do at Westminster if they are not involved in legislation which affects only England, Wales or NI so there is no need for 59 MPs and 129 MSPs for 5 million people. I am delighted to learn that there is likely to be a 25% cut in the number of councillors in some councils but alarmed at the suggestion of creating more in areas where there is "poverty". More councillors in areas where almost no-one votes is a monumental waste of money. Better to kick them up the arse and tell them to get a grip instead of constantly playing the victim. It really is time to get tough on Benefit Street.
  • Options
    "Milliband is a coward on the EU"

I am not sure how that works. If the EU is a defining issue in British politics and the British electorate really are clamouring for a chance to say Yes or No to continued membership, then ruling that out except under very specific circumstances is not cowardly. It may be stupid, but that is very different.

David Cameron is absolutely right: the only way to get a referendum on EU membership in the next few years is to vote Tory. Now we'll see just how many voters view it is a priority. That is a good thing surely.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626

Interestingly John Rentoul that great defender of all things Blairite told me last night he expects Crossover in 6 months time.

Where is Compouter when you need him?
    ;-)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Report yesterday, admittedly second hand from a local Conservative activist and senior local councillor, a Eurosceptic, to the effect that she’d been a briefing meeting (part of the run-up to the Euro elections) and come back saying that although she didn’t like it, Britain was better off IN.

Emphasises the idea that Cameron will offer a referendum but campaign for IN. Rather what he did with AV.

Conservative supports the status quo.

I am quite bowled over.
  • Options
    @Patrick - It is one of my deep frustrations with Dave that he talks of repatriating powers from the EU but seems incapable of saying what powers. And this is why, as MickPork points out, his backbenchers don't trust him. Bad politics. He should believe something solid and state it openly.

Dave cannot set out his red lines before the GE because they would bring his carefully balanced house of cards down. A redrawing of the working time directive - ie the right for the UK government to reduce job security and holiday entitlements, and to extend working hours, will alienate many voters - and will certainly not assuage the Tory right.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    edited March 2014
    rcs1000 said:

I always find

Patrick said:

It is worth remembering that that's exactly what Eurozone countries want too. They want banking union. They don't want non-Eurozone members preventing them from putting in place the structures needed to make the Eurozone more durable. This means deeper integration for the Eurozone members, and the quid pro quo has to be shallower integration for non-EZ members such as ourselves, Sweden, and Denmark.

That said, there is clearly a limit: and freedom of movement across the EU is that limit. If you don't like the EU because you don't like that Romanians have the right to live and work in the UK, then there is no way that any renegotiation is going to get you anything you like.
    Pragmatically I think you are correct, the EuroZone requires a deeper integration and banking union but non EuroZone countries would not sanction that so a two speed Europe would seem inevitable.

How the new treaties would be drawn up to shape this two speed approach is anyone's guess

However, how can you retain influence in "the heart of Europe" whilst not being at its centre?

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Conservative supports the status quo.

I am quite bowled over.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Well done Ed.

Showing again he's much smarter than the flaccid Tory propaganda about him tries to make it appear.

Let the Tories implode over the EU. Ed's given them a whole year to do it and I'm sure the they will take the opportunity now afforded to them.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

Scotland is stupid enough to vote NO it can look forward to being devastated as the unionists get free rein to plunder our wealth , cut our budgets and repatriate powers from Holyrood whilst cutting the meagre number of Scottish MPs.
    Project Fear.......

On topic, I have a suspicion that Miliband has been 'too clever by half',tying treaty change to 'in/out', rather than as current legislation, the change itself. In any case, its being presented as 'No EU Vote from Labour' so the details may not matter much.....
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,881
    edited March 2014
    Scott_P said:

@TelePolitics: Alex Salmond's independence blueprint cost Scottish taxpayers £1.3m http://t.co/VAed3Gce59

As usual, the SNP (not just Mr Salmond please) can't win. There were incessant howls, show us the details.

Then the WP came out.

Now the unionists are going: we don't want to see the details, we don't think sorting out Scottish independence is worth less than one per cent of the money bungled by MoD on refitting the electronics of a few helicopters ...

• Options
    Scottish independence: balancing the books

"Beware: incoming statistics. GERS is back on Wednesday morning.

Government Expenditure and Revenue Scotland isn't the most riveting read, but it matters a lot in the independence debate.

It is the assessment of Scottish government statisticians of how much Scotland raises in tax, and how much is spent by government on Scots.

This will be the 20th set of these annual figures. They were first devised as a means by which Conservative ministers could demonstrate how generously Scotland was treated by Whitehall."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-26538402

A bit of a convoluted read, but interesting.
  • Options

Why on earth would anyone pay any credence to a YouGov poll? Their results bounce around more than a pogo stick. 10 minutes on any busy street stopping passers-by would tell a researcher that most British people wish to leave the EU though perhaps few are aware of the potential ramifications.

The Tory onslaught on Milibland's EU position started within seconds of it being leaked on Twitter last night.

I suspect John Rentoul has been expecting cross-over for a while now.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

As usual, the SNP (not just Mr Salmond please) can't win. There were incessant howls, show us the details.

Then the WP came out.

Now the unionists are going: we don't want to see the details, we don't think sorting out Scottish independence is worth less than one per cent of the money bungled by MoD on refitting the electronics of a few helicopters ...

The point is the SNP should foot the bill for its propaganda document, not the general public.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Financier said:

DavidL said:

@DavidL

What the Telegraph does not say but the Mail does (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2578724/Try-numeracy-test-experts-say-poor-maths-costing-economy-20bn-year.html) is that the Gold Level is equivalent to GCSE A*-C.

This shows the ghastly grade inflation that has happened and you are even invited to use a calculator for what is just simple mental arithmetic. This test shows that 50% of the adult population has the numeracy ability of a primary school child.

In fact the Gold Level questions are far below the standard of my poor village school when we prepared for the 11+ , at a time when mental arithmetic was separated from written arithmetic.

I have a workbook written by a girl of 8 dated 1843 who completed far harder questions than the Gold Level.

No wonder we are bringing over maths teachers from Shanghai to show us what we had forgotten from the 1950s-1960s. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-26533428) and the UK is split between the readers and non-readers (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-26515836).

How much longer must we continue to fund teachers who cannot teach, schools that are not competent and teaching methods advocated by academic educationalists which are proven failures.

Yet we expect our children to compete in a global economy when they finish their education!! At this rate the world will export its rubbish to the UK (instead of India and Africa) for recycling as that is all our descendants will be able to do.
    Ridiculously simple questions. Common Entrance in 1965 was a lot harder than that.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

I have to say I was thinking this morning that I have seldom seen more of a shambles.

I have been assured for months (including by some on this site) that the No campaign don't have to say what a No vote means because it is just the same old business as usual (as if the UK economy isn't circling the cistern ready to go down the U bend, never mind the other problems with the UK polity). Now even the prime merchants in the No campaign are falling over themselves to tell me a whole range of completely different stories - from Ruth Davidson's no further change to - oh, fill in the blanks yourselves.

And we have people complaining that the SG actually did a White Paper, after spending months asking for detail detail detail.

If it is the usual No campaign strategy of spreading confusion and sharn like the manure spreader on the farm field up the hill, then there may be some rationale to it, but it's no way to run a country or to involve an informed electorate, never mind the consequences of the lies that have been spr.

• Options
    From Eds point of view UKIP on about 10% is about right. Not enough to have major impact on his own vote, big enough to be a threat to the Tories that they cannot ignore. If the kippers go back down to 5% then the Tories would look like a much stronger side, if the kippers go up to 15% in a UK election they will have an agenda hard to ignore.

Ed is running a canny campaign and is definitely not crap, at least at political tactics.
    BenM said:

Well done Ed.

Showing again he's much smarter than the flaccid Tory propaganda about him tries to make it appear.

Let the Tories implode over the EU. Ed's given them a whole year to do it and I'm sure the they will take the opportunity now afforded to them.

• Options
    Who needs a EU referendum at the cost of £Zillions and with the economic uncertainty that rides with it when come the general election all bases are covered :

Ukip - OUT regardless
    LibDem - IN regardless
    Con - IN with tinkering
    Lab - IN or OUT and shake it all about
    SNP - IN but OUT temporarily if YES win
    PC - IN bilingually
    Green - OUT environmentally
  • Options

"Milliband is a coward on the EU"

I am not sure how that works. If the EU is a defining issue in British politics and the British electorate really are clamouring for a chance to say Yes or No to continued membership, then ruling that out except under very specific circumstances is not cowardly. It may be stupid, but that is very different.

David Cameron is absolutely right: the only way to get a referendum on EU membership in the next few years is to vote Tory. Now we'll see just how many voters view it is a priority. That is a good thing surely.

We'll have to disagree. I think all our main party leaders are scared of an EU In/Out referendum. It'd be the defining issue of their premiership. It's much easier for them to waffle and set conditions that will never be met. Milliband doesn't want the hassle of it, and thinks it can be brushed under the carpet for the 5 or 10 years that he'll be PM. Cameron is between a rock and a hard place with his views, he'd like to do the same as Milliband, but his back benchers and Farage are breathing down his neck.
    I just think that we can't carry on as we are, with all our politicians saying that the EU needs reform, but all of them unwilling to tell us what that reform means.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,355

Why on earth would anyone pay any credence to a YouGov poll? Their results bounce around more than a pogo stick. 10 minutes on any busy street stopping passers-by would tell a researcher....

PB regular claims scientific polls are rubbish and voodoo polls better, sigh. Why do we bother?
    DavidL said:

100% numerate. I so knew my PhD would prove useful one day.

• Options
    Totally OT

Brilliant images of nature and parts of the body - well worth a look.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26464400
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,999
    Good morning, everyone.

It's noise. In and Out are basically the same. Miliband seems to be trying Brown's 'five tests to join the euro' line (the first being the Archangel Gabriel descending to earth and telling Brown it was ok).

We do need a referendum. Nobody has ever been asked if we wanted to cede so much sovereignty or join a political organisation that dreams of statehood. Decades ago some people were asked (after we joined) about remaining in a trade agreement. If you agree to be a roommate and then your landlord tries to shag you, you've got the right to rethink the arrangement.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Sorry, didn't edit my last in time. The other point about the differing devomax promises is that neither Mr Brown nor Mr Campbell is in power, a cabinet minister, shadow or otherwise, so there is no question of promises being considered to bind their respective parties. And it is highly significant that Mr Darling is also of this status. Now if Mr Cameron had fronted it and had to commit himself ...

And even then there is that Westminster doctrine that successive gmts aren't bound by their predecessors. Not as if the Tories or the LDs will have many more MPs to lose in Scotland when they do break their promises - though Labour might have a different idea. The Scottish Labour conference will be interesting, but will they manage to produce something more useful than airgun regulation, and more coherent than their plans for child care which fall down because the Treasury grabs all the income tax gained on newly working people so the Scottish Gmt can't use that to offset the cost of child care?.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

BobaFett said:

TGOHF said:

In peace ? Nah I'm sure. Labour will start a few illegal wars as usual.
    Wanna bet? I'll offer you £100 at even money that they won't.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Looking at Douglas Carswell's explosion on twitter last night Cameron's position on the EU is clearly untenable.

Carswell represents the intemperate and deluded anti-EU position held by most Tory backbenchers whose demands Cameron cannot placate in any way at all.

When thinking about renegotiation what comes to the minds of most people? Number one is probably the end of free movement of labour, and there is no way, none, zilch, nada, that is going to happen.

Cameron can tinker around the edges with irrelevant posturing on the mirage of benefits tourism or attacking worker rights. But that won't cut it as far as the likes of Carswell are concerned.

Cameron is a busted flush.
  • Options
    BenM said:

Looking at Douglas Carswell's explosion on twitter last night Cameron's position on the EU is clearly untenable.

Carswell represents the intemperate and deluded anti-EU position held by most Tory backbenchers whose demands Cameron cannot placate in any way at all.

When thinking about renegotiation what comes to the minds of most people? Number one is probably the end of free movement of labour, and there is no way, none, zilch, nada, that is going to happen.

Cameron can tinker around the edges with irrelevant posturing on the mirage of benefits tourism or attacking worker rights. But that won't cut it as far as the likes of Carswell are concerned.

John Mann was on Radio 5Live this morning saying that benefits tourism was a major concern of his.

• Options
    Oh, and the slavery legal action is completely bloody insane. It goes back literally 200 years. This is the same as if the British and French sued one another over damages in the Napoleonic Wars.

It'd be despicable if the legal action won.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    @Morris_Dancer wrote :

"If you agree to be a roommate and then your landlord tries to shag you, you've got the right to rethink the arrangement."

Indeed .... but you don't need to ask the nation if it prefers you to have a shag with the landlord or a bottle of tizer with the roommate. You decide !!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Financier said:

DavidL said:

@DavidL

I would suspect that - even without grade inflation - that numeracy would decline post school these days, simply because everyone has a mobile or smartphone on them at all times. There is simply no reason to use your head for mental arithmitic, post primary education, any more.

And like any other skill, lack of use will cause waning ability.

What we can do about this is another matter altogether.

The other day I was comparing an A Level maths paper from the early 1970s (http://www.mel-lambert.com/Ruskin/Artwork/Images/Neil_Graham/GCE_Exams/June-1970-Pure-Maths-2-3.jpg) and one from 2013 (http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/resources/A Level Past Papers/Core 1/2013 - Jan/AQA-MPC1-QP-JAN13.PDF) and what is remarkable is how little has changed. It's pretty much the same set of differential and integral calculus questions. That said, the more modern paper spells out much more exactly *how* the questions are to be answered (i.e. "use the remainder theorem") .
  • Options
    Mr. W, are you suggesting we could leave without a referendum?
  • Options

Mr. W, are you suggesting we could leave without a referendum?

Yes.

If that is what Parliament decides.

• Options
    JackW said:

@Morris_Dancer wrote :

"If you agree to be a roommate and then your landlord tries to shag you, you've got the right to rethink the arrangement."

Indeed .... but you don't need to ask the nation if it prefers you to have a shag with the landlord or a bottle of tizer with the roommate. You decide !!

Although the sovereign government of the day chose at every turn not to rebuff the landlord's advances.
  • Options
    Am I the only one who thinks Ed forcing Europe back on to the agenda may be quite smart? The Tories below are already fighting about it. Ideal scenario for Labour is that this continues for the next year or so which, given that Tories like nothing more than battling like cats in a sack about an issue nobody gives a stuff about, is perfectly possible, if not (yet) probable.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

JackW said:

@Morris_Dancer wrote :

Although the sovereign government of the day chose at every turn not to rebuff the landlord's advances.
    They both enjoy the sex !!

• Options
    Mr. 1000, the In/Out referendum we had was over a trade agreement. Politicians then chose to go much further than the British people ever voted for. That's clearly unjust.

It's also worth mentioning that all parties promised a vote on Lisbon, and Labour reneged.

The Lib Dems used to want an In/Out vote, but have since decided that is clearly a stupid policy.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,039
    rcs 100 said "There is simply no reason to use your head for mental arithmitic, post primary education, any more”

Given the popularity of darts, that’s quite surprising!
  • Options

BenM said:

John Mann was on Radio 5Live this morning saying that benefits tourism was a major concern of his.

Benefits tourism could be stopped in an afternoon: income support, housing benefit, etc all require three years NI contributions.

Hardly a high hurdle.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Financier said:

DavidL said:

@DavidL

I would suspect that - even without grade inflation - that numeracy would decline post school these days, simply because everyone has a mobile or smartphone on them at all times. There is simply no reason to use your head for mental arithmitic, post primary education, any more.

The other day I was comparing an A Level maths paper from the early 1970s (http://www.mel-lambert.com/Ruskin/Artwork/Images/Neil_Graham/GCE_Exams/June-1970-Pure-Maths-2-3.jpg) and one from 2013 (http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/resources/A Level Past Papers/Core 1/2013 - Jan/AQA-MPC1-QP-JAN13.PDF) and what is remarkable is how little has changed. It's pretty much the same set of differential and integral calculus questions. That said, the more modern paper spells out much more exactly *how* the questions are to be answered (i.e. "use the remainder theorem") .
    @rcs1000

In general I would agree, but nowadays we find that many graduates do not have the ability to know whether an answer is in the right order of magnitude or not as they have not been taught/do not use mental arithmetic.

However, when I return to my country village where I was born, people at the weekly cattle (etc) market are not using any form of calculator but automatically do their calculations in their head and they are rarely wrong.
  • Options

Mr. 1000, the In/Out referendum we had was over a trade agreement. Politicians then chose to go much further than the British people ever voted for. That's clearly unjust.

It's also worth mentioning that all parties promised a vote on Lisbon, and Labour reneged.

The Lib Dems used to want an In/Out vote, but have since decided that is clearly a stupid policy.

No, that's parliamentary sovereignty. The people of the day chose politicians that made choices.

If the people want to leave the EU, they can vote for a party which advocates that.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

Am I the only one who thinks Ed forcing Europe back on to the agenda may be quite smart? The Tories below are already fighting about it. Ideal scenario for Labour is that this continues for the next year or so which, given that Tories like nothing more than battling like cats in a sack about an issue nobody gives a stuff about, is perfectly possible, if not (yet) probable.

That's what pees me off. Both Labour and the Tories are only concerned with the politics of it, never what's best for the country.
    To say that "no one gives a stuff about it" is also a little naive. Sure, it's not the sort of thing that will drive the majority of people's vote, but everyone I know has an opinion on it, and it is important. You just don't want the hassle of it.

• Options
    BobaFett said:

UKIP has been making major inroads into the traditional Labour vote, EdM's No to a referendum will accelerate that trend. An election losing error from Ed.

• Options
    Financier said:

rcs1000 said:

Financier said:

DavidL said:

@DavidL

@rcs1000

In general I would agree, but nowadays we find that many graduates do not have the ability to know whether an answer is in the right order of magnitude or not as they have not been taught/do not use mental arithmetic.

However, when I return to my country village where I was born, people at the weekly cattle (etc) market are not using any form of calculator but automatically do their calculations in their head and they are rarely wrong.
    I wonder how we can change this. From a process of casual empiricism I've deduced that most children at seven know the times tables as well as I did (my six year old daughter knows her times tables much better than I did at the same age).

But once they get to 11 or 12 (just as they did in my day), then they stop using their heads and start using calculators. When they leave university, they've not done mental arithmetic for a decade.

I simply don't know what the right solution is.
This discussion has been closed.