Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Braverman’s leadership bid is like a visit to a gay bar – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,526
    In more serious news my pizza delivery guy has been less than a minute away for more than 5 minutes.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,061

pigeon said:

Liz Truss has blamed the scale of the Tories’ general election defeat on Rishi Sunak “trashing my record”.

The electorate knows three principal facts about Truss: that her economic policy caused a market panic that resulted in a great many of them being saddled with higher mortgage repayments; that she ended up being defenestrated by her own party in record time as a result; and that this happened before the lettuce went mouldy.

Trussonomics was unpicked by Jeremy Hunt, in front of her, in the Commons chamber, after she was forced to sack Kwarteng and employ him to avert a Sterling crisis. Her record was comprehensively trashed before Sunak, who had earlier warned that her plans were undeliverable, was even drafted in to replace her. What was the man meant to do, say she was right all along?
    Liz Truss was not the cause of elevated interest rates. People on PB who have far better understanding of the economic circumstances surrounding the minibidget than me (and obviously than you) have confirmed this beyond doubt. That she was, was an economically-illiterate Labour attack line.

It suited Sunak's personal ambitions to endorse, and have his lackeys continue to repeat, this attack line. A more loyal line might have been that the turbulent events surrounding the minibudget needed investigating. That the role of the Bank and why the LDI crisis happened needed investigating. That the OBR leak (that proved catastrophically inaccurate) needed investigating. The above investigations would have been no more than due dilligence. None of it happened because to trash Truss was great for the centrists, and party loyalty only applies when they expect it for themselves.
    This is 100% correct but, cutting taxes like that while giving those sorts of fuel bill subsidies, and making no effort to prune public spending was like a goalkeeper smoking a fag at the back of a goal during a penalty shootout. Gave her enemies an open goal. Sadly, for the country.

Nothing will change now until the government can no longer sell sufficient gilts to finance the bread and circuses.
    Yes, because Ms Truss was a model of fiscal rectitude whose first priority was to balance the budget and restore sound money.

Oh... errr... wait...
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,242
    edited July 13

Love the header @TSE . Now think what its like going to a gay bar with straight friends when you're in the closet and your friends can't see but the population of the gay bar's gaydar pings and you get lots of new friends...
    As for The Village. Yes. A paradise.

My friend feels your pain.

Back at university I became friends with a guy who was gay but worried as he was a virgin that might be a issue.

I took him to a gay bar and it amused/frustrated him that all the gays focussed on me and not him because they never had one of me in there and their gaydars were pinging like mad with me and they thought my friend John was my heterosexual support.

I had actual fag hags.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,263

Love the header @TSE . Now think what its like going to a gay bar with straight friends when you're in the closet and your friends can't see but the population of the gay bar's gaydar pings and you get lots of new friends...

Back at university I became friends with a guy who was gay but worried as he was a virgin that might be a issue.

I took him to a gay bar and it amused/frustrated him that all the gays focussed on me and not him because they never had one of me in there and their gaydars were pinging like mad with me and they thought my friend John was my heterosexual support.

I had actual fag hags.
    Believe me.
    That wouldn't have been an issue at all.

In more serious news my pizza delivery guy has been less than a minute away for more than 5 minutes.

I've seen movies about pizza delivery boys explaining why he is taking so much time with another customer.
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405

Deduct the service charge
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,152

https://x.com/jakesherman/status/1812229386617213191

During @JoeBiden’s call with the Congressional Progressive Caucus, the president said his staff passed him a note to “stay positive you are sounding defensive.” Biden read the note aloud to participants on the call.

Desperately trying to hide the truth basically.

Enough.
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

The venom directed at people from ethnic minorities who dissent from the liberal-progressive social agenda, from those who support it and otherwise see support of ethnic minorities as an great virtue , is a sight to behold.

Yes, it must be that.

Alternatively, there haven't been any other high profile Conservatives that have been so virulently anti-LBG in the recent past.

For what it's worth, my proviso is a simple one: treat others as you would wish to be treated. Remember, not everyone is going to believe the same as you - whether about God, trans, or anything else. And people who believe different things to you; well they are human too.

So, if someone wishes me to address them using they/them, then my personal views don't get a look in, I will address them as they wish to be addressed. Just as I wouldn't be disparaging about someone's belief in a god, even though I personally am an atheist.

Remember also, how you would feel if the boot was on the other foot. Imagine, before you try and get (say) The Perks of Being A Wallflower banned from a library, how you would feel if it was a book you cared about and believed in that was on the chopping block.

Remember too, that you will never eliminate the people that disagree with you. You need to remember that, and you need to ask yourself not how you can suppress those who think differently to you, but how you can live alongside them in harmony.
    Pathetic, simpering drivel
    Shit, well that's shown me.

You're dealing with low IQ Leon who previously tried to blame the closure of pubs on Muslims when the reality is the two main issues were

1) The introduction of loss leading pricing of alcohol by the supermarkets

and

2) The smoking ban.

I think Leon, like that roaster SeanT has an issue with Muslims.

Who can forget his dribblings on the Norway massacre in 2011 which he assured was down to the Muslims when a few Norway experts told him it was likely to be the far right.
    Erm point of order.

I remember the day well (as I had just finished working in Norway for the previous 15 years) and I have to point out that SeanT was just about the only person apart from me who wasn't blaming the muslims. We were the only two for over an hour who were saying it was far more likely to be a right wing attack. I remember it vividly and it helped generate a great deal of respect from me for Mr T at the time.
    Okay, replace Norway with the Glasgow bin lorry accident.
    Ah, that I do remember well.
    So do I. All @SeanT did was question whether it was really a simple accident, that's all. And this was at a time when Islamists were regularly mowing down people with lorries - in France and Germany. To speculate that it MIGHT not be a simple accident is about as bigoted as asking, after a massive bang in 1940 in London, "whoah, what was that loud explosion, was it the Germans?"
    Regarding the Glasgow bin lorry, that the driver was not charged with any traffic offences still strikes me as very odd indeed.
    Was he never charged???

The evidence against him - an irresponsible lying old git - seems fairly overwhelming

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/dec/07/glasgow-bin-lorry-crash-inquiry-harry-clarke-driver

And several died. Most peculiar if he never faced criminal charges, in that context. Corrupt council?
    No. The decision not to prosecute him was made by the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service ( my employer although this was well before my time there) not the Council. The view was taken that he was unconscious at the time of the accident and could therefore not have the mental element of recklessness that a charge of death by dangerous driving required. He had had a previous incident but it was more than 4 years in the past and it was not foreseeable that he would have a repeat on that day. An application for a private prosecution by the families of those that died was refused by the court, presumably on the same basis. He was dismissed by his employer for lying about his health and he was banned from driving an HGV vehicle for 10 years by the regulator but he never faced prosecution in the Sheriff or High Court.
    Thankyou, sincerely, for the legal elucidation. PB is great for this, so many experts in so many fields

Nonetheless. one has to ask. Given all these circumstances, how would you feel, if you were a close relative - daughter, father, sister - of one of the SIX people killed and the dozen badly injured by this feckless c*nt of a man?

Would you be satisfied with "no charges"? I would NOT

eg, from that Gaurdian report, just the opening paragraphs

"An inquiry into the Glasgow bin lorry crash that left six people dead and 15 injured has concluded that the driver Harry Clarke repeatedly lied to gain and retain jobs and licences.

Sheriff John Beckett, who conducted the fatal accident inquiry, said Clarke deliberately and systematically concealed nearly 40 years of ill health and lied to doctors about a blackout at the wheel of a bus in April 2010."
    I do not think that I would have reached the same conclusion. To me, the concealment of his medical history was a form of recklessness. He simply was not safe to be in charge of such a vehicle, just as a drug addict or an alcoholic would not be. I do not think that this was fully known when the original decision not to prosecute was made and I suspect that the Lord Advocate at the time thought once such a decision had been made it should not be gone against.

I can sort of understand that argument. In my last trial there was some indications that there had been some collaboration between witnesses and what was being said was being fed back. I took the decision not to proceed with the charges affected and did not call the other witnesses. The trial had to start again for other reasons but having made that clear to the court I accepted that I was bound by the position I had stated. There is a public interest in the State being bound by what it has publicly said. But, like you, if it had been a family member of mine that had died I would have been seriously pissed.
    I think this is spot on: his lying was a form of recklessness.

At the same time, I think - as much as possible - sentencing should be outcome blind.

If you attempt to sever someone's head off and fail, I don't see why your failure should result in a lower sentence. Likewise, if you lied to cover up an underlying medical condition and when you pass out at the wheel you are fortunate enough that no-one is killed, then why should you not be prosecuted at all?
    edited July 13
    dixiedean said:

I had actual fag hags.
    Believe me.
    That wouldn't have been an issue at all.
    I know.

You know I learned so much in those bars and clubs, apparently being a virgin isn't the issue, it is all about regular douching.

I went to university as a good Muslim and shy & naive guy and four weeks in these were the sort of convos I was party to.
    JohnO said:

eek said:

O/T I need some advice.

So I had lunch today in this working man's restaurant called The Ivy in Covent Garden, they added a 13.5% service charge but there service was really shite.

Our table wasn't cleared often enough, at one point our table was full of four champagne glasses, three bottles of coke.

We had to ask a few times for things that we had asked for that they had forgotten.

The food was great, particularly the chocolate bomb dessert.

Would I have been out of order to ask for the service charge to have been removed?

What in the name of god is the point of ordering four glasses of champagne by the glass?
    I'm guessing it was lunch for 2 and only 1 person was drinking - so by the glass makes more sense than a bottle...
    Yup, lunch for two, and as a good Muslim I have never drunk the Devil's buttermilk.
    I was the guilty bubbly inbiber. And, as Leon is my witness, I wasn't planning on four.
    It's an easy mistake to make.

Were you at the Ivy on West Street? Or the one down by the market itself? The one on West Street is better if you can get in.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,172
    rcs1000 said:

pigeon said:

Liz Truss has blamed the scale of the Tories’ general election defeat on Rishi Sunak “trashing my record”.

The electorate knows three principal facts about Truss: that her economic policy caused a market panic that resulted in a great many of them being saddled with higher mortgage repayments; that she ended up being defenestrated by her own party in record time as a result; and that this happened before the lettuce went mouldy.

Trussonomics was unpicked by Jeremy Hunt, in front of her, in the Commons chamber, after she was forced to sack Kwarteng and employ him to avert a Sterling crisis. Her record was comprehensively trashed before Sunak, who had earlier warned that her plans were undeliverable, was even drafted in to replace her. What was the man meant to do, say she was right all along?
    Liz Truss was not the cause of elevated interest rates. People on PB who have far better understanding of the economic circumstances surrounding the minibidget than me (and obviously than you) have confirmed this beyond doubt. That she was, was an economically-illiterate Labour attack line.

It suited Sunak's personal ambitions to endorse, and have his lackeys continue to repeat, this attack line. A more loyal line might have been that the turbulent events surrounding the minibudget needed investigating. That the role of the Bank and why the LDI crisis happened needed investigating. That the OBR leak (that proved catastrophically inaccurate) needed investigating. The above investigations would have been no more than due dilligence. None of it happened because to trash Truss was great for the centrists, and party loyalty only applies when they expect it for themselves.
    This is 100% correct but, cutting taxes like that while giving those sorts of fuel bill subsidies, and making no effort to prune public spending was like a goalkeeper smoking a fag at the back of a goal during a penalty shootout. Gave her enemies an open goal. Sadly, for the country.

Nothing will change now until the government can no longer sell sufficient gilts to finance the bread and circuses.
    Yes, because Ms Truss was a model of fiscal rectitude whose first priority was to balance the budget and restore sound money.

Oh... errr... wait...
    That was the problem. It was not just the unfunded tax cuts that were going to increase what was already a serious deficit. It was the completely blank cheque that she signed at the same time giving open ended guarantees that the State would pay everyone's gas bill indefinitely*. That is what Hunt had to seriously curtail in his budget.

* Brought about by the panic caused by that arsehole Martin Lewis who, in that short period, cost the UK multiples of all the savings he has ever found anyone combined.
    rcs1000 said:

JohnO said:

eek said:

O/T I need some advice.

So I had lunch today in this working man's restaurant called The Ivy in Covent Garden, they added a 13.5% service charge but there service was really shite.

Our table wasn't cleared often enough, at one point our table was full of four champagne glasses, three bottles of coke.

We had to ask a few times for things that we had asked for that they had forgotten.

Would I have been out of order to ask for the service charge to have been removed?

What in the name of god is the point of ordering four glasses of champagne by the glass?
    I'm guessing it was lunch for 2 and only 1 person was drinking - so by the glass makes more sense than a bottle...
    Yup, lunch for two, and as a good Muslim I have never drunk the Devil's buttermilk.
    I was the guilty bubbly inbiber. And, as Leon is my witness, I wasn't planning on four.
    It's an easy mistake to make.

Were you at the Ivy on West Street? Or the one down by the market itself? The one on West Street is better if you can get in.
    It was The Ivy Market Grill in Covent Garden.

JohnO and I went to The Ivy on West Street last year, loved it.
    glw said:

She really is insufferably stupid. It was her stupid mini-budget that trashed things, and she tried to blame Kwarteng for that by sacking him, when he could only present it with her say so. A completely self-inflected crisis where they slashed taxes and said "wait and see" for the spending impact. Even as it happened Tories on here were slating the idiocy of it all.

Liz appears to be too stupid to comprehend her own actions.

Oh and Liz was by far the worst in the leadership debates, so naturally she got the job.

Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    ·
    28m
    I see Liz Truss, who lost a seat the Conservatives had held for 60 years, is giving advice on election success.
    JohnO said:

eek said:

O/T I need some advice.

It was the discussions of Robert Jenrick, Suella, or Priti Patel as Tory leader that tipped you into the fourth glass.
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,276

JohnO said:

eek said:

O/T I need some advice.

It was the discussions of Robert Jenrick, Suella, or Priti Patel as Tory leader that tipped you into the fourth glass.
    And then on to the glass of white wine to purge the thought.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,172
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

The venom directed at people from ethnic minorities who dissent from the liberal-progressive social agenda, from those who support it and otherwise see support of ethnic minorities as an great virtue , is a sight to behold.

Yes, it must be that.

Alternatively, there haven't been any other high profile Conservatives that have been so virulently anti-LBG in the recent past.

For what it's worth, my proviso is a simple one: treat others as you would wish to be treated. Remember, not everyone is going to believe the same as you - whether about God, trans, or anything else. And people who believe different things to you; well they are human too.

So, if someone wishes me to address them using they/them, then my personal views don't get a look in, I will address them as they wish to be addressed. Just as I wouldn't be disparaging about someone's belief in a god, even though I personally am an atheist.

Remember also, how you would feel if the boot was on the other foot. Imagine, before you try and get (say) The Perks of Being A Wallflower banned from a library, how you would feel if it was a book you cared about and believed in that was on the chopping block.

Remember too, that you will never eliminate the people that disagree with you. You need to remember that, and you need to ask yourself not how you can suppress those who think differently to you, but how you can live alongside them in harmony.

You're dealing with low IQ Leon who previously tried to blame the closure of pubs on Muslims when the reality is the two main issues were

and

2) The smoking ban.

Who can forget his dribblings on the Norway massacre in 2011 which he assured was down to the Muslims when a few Norway experts told him it was likely to be the far right.
    Erm point of order.

I remember the day well (as I had just finished working in Norway for the previous 15 years) and I have to point out that SeanT was just about the only person apart from me who wasn't blaming the muslims. We were the only two for over an hour who were saying it was far more likely to be a right wing attack. I remember it vividly and it helped generate a great deal of respect from me for Mr T at the time.
    So do I. All @SeanT did was question whether it was really a simple accident, that's all. And this was at a time when Islamists were regularly mowing down people with lorries - in France and Germany. To speculate that it MIGHT not be a simple accident is about as bigoted as asking, after a massive bang in 1940 in London, "whoah, what was that loud explosion, was it the Germans?"
    Regarding the Glasgow bin lorry, that the driver was not charged with any traffic offences still strikes me as very odd indeed.
    Was he never charged???

The evidence against him - an irresponsible lying old git - seems fairly overwhelming

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/dec/07/glasgow-bin-lorry-crash-inquiry-harry-clarke-driver

And several died. Most peculiar if he never faced criminal charges, in that context. Corrupt council?
    No. The decision not to prosecute him was made by the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service ( my employer although this was well before my time there) not the Council. The view was taken that he was unconscious at the time of the accident and could therefore not have the mental element of recklessness that a charge of death by dangerous driving required. He had had a previous incident but it was more than 4 years in the past and it was not foreseeable that he would have a repeat on that day. An application for a private prosecution by the families of those that died was refused by the court, presumably on the same basis. He was dismissed by his employer for lying about his health and he was banned from driving an HGV vehicle for 10 years by the regulator but he never faced prosecution in the Sheriff or High Court.
    Thankyou, sincerely, for the legal elucidation. PB is great for this, so many experts in so many fields

Nonetheless. one has to ask. Given all these circumstances, how would you feel, if you were a close relative - daughter, father, sister - of one of the SIX people killed and the dozen badly injured by this feckless c*nt of a man?

Would you be satisfied with "no charges"? I would NOT

eg, from that Gaurdian report, just the opening paragraphs

"An inquiry into the Glasgow bin lorry crash that left six people dead and 15 injured has concluded that the driver Harry Clarke repeatedly lied to gain and retain jobs and licences.

Sheriff John Beckett, who conducted the fatal accident inquiry, said Clarke deliberately and systematically concealed nearly 40 years of ill health and lied to doctors about a blackout at the wheel of a bus in April 2010."
    I do not think that I would have reached the same conclusion. To me, the concealment of his medical history was a form of recklessness. He simply was not safe to be in charge of such a vehicle, just as a drug addict or an alcoholic would not be. I do not think that this was fully known when the original decision not to prosecute was made and I suspect that the Lord Advocate at the time thought once such a decision had been made it should not be gone against.

I can sort of understand that argument. In my last trial there was some indications that there had been some collaboration between witnesses and what was being said was being fed back. I took the decision not to proceed with the charges affected and did not call the other witnesses. The trial had to start again for other reasons but having made that clear to the court I accepted that I was bound by the position I had stated. There is a public interest in the State being bound by what it has publicly said. But, like you, if it had been a family member of mine that had died I would have been seriously pissed.
    I think this is spot on: his lying was a form of recklessness.

At the same time, I think - as much as possible - sentencing should be outcome blind.

If you attempt to sever someone's head off and fail, I don't see why your failure should result in a lower sentence. Likewise, if you lied to cover up an underlying medical condition and when you pass out at the wheel you are fortunate enough that no-one is killed, then why should you not be prosecuted at all?
    It's tricky though. Very small amounts of carelessness can have fatal consequences. Someone deprived of a child or a spouse finds it impossible to accept that this is dealt with by a modest fine. There is also an argument that if we are all aware that there are very significant consequences for even small mistakes that cause a death we all drive just that bit more carefully. It's a bit like Clarkson's idea of the best safety device being a 6 inch spike on the steering wheel.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,597
    I do confess to being less interested in the Tory fallout and much more interested in the SNP fallout. My God, they really don't get it. Wings (over Scotland) gets it, albeit from the other angle. Great hearing Wings and various other posters defending my rights as a (NewScot) "recent migrant" to actually have a say.

As I point out. I live here. My kids go to school here. I moved my business here and started another business here. I participate in here. And through my million views on YouTube show off Scotland to non-Scotland.

If I tell them I am half-fag I'll probably drive them nuts...
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,892

O/T I need some advice.

You just say, "Is it OK if I don't pay the service charge?"

They'll be too embarrassed to ask why and it saves the unpleasantness of explanations.
    I know I was 66/1. And had I - like various other long shots - actually been elected it would have turned our lives upside down. But I have looked at the 72 LibDem MPs getting sworn in. Doing social media stuff in Westminster. Getting to grips with the place. And wonder what it would have been like.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,508

During @JoeBiden’s call with the Congressional Progressive Caucus, the president said his staff passed him a note to “stay positive you are sounding defensive.” Biden read the note aloud to participants on the call.

It's like they have Ron Burgundy as President.

"Go fuck yourself, San Diego."
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,508

I've seen movies about pizza delivery boys explaining why he is taking so much time with another customer.
    The ones where she has no money to pay?
    I also wrote an Apple explainer on TwiX. Partly because old frield / old colleague / current big client liaison is bemused by my Apple conversion

https://x.com/ianincyaak/status/1812226806889546128
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,171
    "Why I’m sticking with Joe
    His lack of oratorical gifts is a blessing
    Howard Jacobson"

https://unherd.com/2024/07/why-im-sticking-with-joe/
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,133
    FF43 said:

O/T I need some advice.

They'll be too embarrassed to ask why and it saves the unpleasantness of explanations.
    Or just pay it and quit whining. I’m sure they had a good time.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,792

Enough.
    The whole Biden fitness for office issue is so bad that every time you read another story or rumour you think "that can't be real, it must be a joke." Not that any of it is funny, it's sad for Biden and his family, and it's terrifying for anyone who has an inkling of what may be coming with another Trump Presidency. And even if Biden was way ahead in the polls it is clear that he will not be able to serve until 2029.

We've reached the point where both sides of the election are offering candidates that by any normal measure are preposterous, this is a political crisis (two bad candidates) and government crisis (neither fit to govern) no matter what the outcome is.

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes, it must be that.

and

2) The smoking ban.

Erm point of order.

Was he never charged???

Regarding the previous incident "He had not disclosed that incident on his heavy goods vehicle licence renewal application, despite such self-reporting being mandatory."

Surely that in itself was enough? Someone was done for causing death by dangerous driving after running out of petrol on the M25 and Parking on the hard shoulder, then being struck by a lorry that strayed into the hard shoulder killing her passenger. She was done because neglecting to fill up before going on a motorway meant her driving fell far below the standards of a careful and competent driver.

So how come neglecting to inform of a previous blackout as you are required to do by law before driving your employers HGV isn't falling below the standard of a careful and competent driver?

I'm sure Lawyerly explanations will be forthcoming but the whole thing reeks of the authorities twisting interpretation of the law to suit their own purposes, possibly for nefarious reasons.
    Yeah, I don't buy any of it. This is clearly outrageous. He should be doing Time, and tons of it

Six people died!
    After the incident he had his licence pulled but didn't appear to think this matter was material and subsequently, just a few months later, got done for driving a car while not in possession of a valid driving licence.

The sentence: "Clarke was given a community payback order with a 12-month supervision requirement and 150 hours’ unpaid work."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/31/glasgow-bin-lorry-death-crash-driver-avoids-jail-for-new-incident
    I certainly haven't forgotten about this case.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,977

FF43 said:

O/T I need some advice.

Or just pay it IN CASH and quit whining. I’m sure they had a good time.
    :innocent:

• GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,862

She really taking the piss now...
    JohnO said:

eek said:

O/T I need some advice.

You are fooling yourself. One always knows deep down how to one intends to drink.

I also wrote an Apple explainer on TwiX. Partly because old frield / old colleague / current big client liaison is bemused by my Apple conversion

A familiar tale. I have mates who have been on a similar journey.

I've been apple since apple II but had a long hiatus whilst forced to work for other people and their kit. On setting
    my own business up it was straight back to apple.

• CookieCookie Posts: 12,795
    I went to somewhere in Manchester's gay village with some work colleagues.
    I was some way out of my comfort zone. But also, some way away from having a good time.
    I don't get why a preference for same sex relationships should be so strongly correlated with loud, cheesy pop music and crap beer. I have no objection to gays, but as someone with a preference for shouty guitar music and real ale, it ticked no boxes whatsoever.

(I did also once visit a gay bar in Prague. But the music was all heavy metal and the beer pretty good. So a good night.)

I don't really understand how this relates to Suella however.
    glw said:

Enough.
    The whole Biden fitness for office issue is so bad that every time you read another story or rumour you think "that can't be real, it must be a joke." Not that any of it is funny, it's sad for Biden and his family, and it's terrifying for anyone who has an inkling of what may be coming with another Trump Presidency. And even if Biden was way ahead in the polls it is clear that he will not be able to serve until 2029.

We've reached the point where both sides of the election are offering candidates that by any normal measure are preposterous, this is a political crisis (two bad candidates) and government crisis (neither fit to govern) no matter what the outcome is.
    Crying out for a serious, sane, centrist 3rd party candidate to run frankly.

That would massively upset the whole apple cart.

Is there no one in America??
    Cookie said:

I was some way out of my comfort zone. But also, some way away from having a good time.
    I don't get why a preference for same sex relationships should be so strongly correlated with loud, cheesy pop music and crap beer. I have no objection to gays, but as someone with a preference for shouty guitar music and real ale, it ticked no boxes whatsoever.

(I did also once visit a gay bar in Prague. But the music was all heavy metal and the beer pretty good. So a good night.)

Why? Because Cruella is going for ther homophobe vote. And they are all closeted benders.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,467

glw said:

Enough.

Crying out for a serious, sane, centrist 3rd party candidate to run frankly.

That would massively upset the whole apple cart.

Is there no one in America??
    Kanye West.

Oh.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,474

pigeon said:

Agree. I'd have gone:

1. Energy subsidy, package it in with fracking and other energy supply side reforms in an Energy Crisis Bill, and dare the opposition to vote it down in the face of public bills being sky high.
    2. Minibudget - timed *not* to coincide with the Banks bond selloff announcement to avoid any crossover.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,474

It's like that Anchorman scene when he says 'Fuck you San Diego' because they put it on the autocue. But in real life.

Could you do a tldr for non twitter/x users? I can only see as far as '/1'.
    Wes Streeting MP
    @wesstreeting
    ·
    29m
    It’s always someone else’s fault.

Let that be the Conservative Party’s epitaph.

Never forget what they did to our country. Never let them do it again.
    Is it even possible to have a "record" after 49 days as PM?

I mean she lasted just long enough to see off our beloved Queen, trashed the economy and destroyed a 200 year old political party so there's that I suppose...
  • CookieCookie Posts: 12,795

Cookie said:

Why? Because Cruella is going for ther homophobe vote. And they are all closeted benders.
    eh?
    Cookie said:

You'd be amazed how many gay people don't go in for "out, loud and proud" (and Kylie) and just get on with their lives,,,
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,761

Not a fan of Apple or Windows. But I was struck by your dislike of Word. Why? Seems totally fine for me and does the job. What’s the beef?

Cookie said:

Bollocks. This is real "only gay in the village" stuff.

Mind you, I think the line in the last airbender about "when your mother first realised you were a bender" is the funniest unforced error in the history of Hollywood, so I am probably a homophone.

Wes Streeting MP
    @wesstreeting
    ·
    29m
    It’s always someone else’s fault.

Let that be the Conservative Party’s epitaph.

Never forget what they did to our country. Never let them do it again.

Countdown begins on when Labour jump the shark on '.. because the previous Tory government'.

Cookie said:

Mind you, I think the line in the last airbender about "when your mother first realised you were a bender" is the funniest unforced error in the history of Hollywood, so I am probably a homophone.
    In my experience there is a reason why men are so outspokenly anti-gay. Its because of their inner demons craving cock.

Cookie said:

In my experience there is a reason why men are so outspokenly anti-gay. Its because of their inner demons craving cock.
    And their deep faith. Very deep. Oh... so deep.
  • SteveSSteveS Posts: 150

pigeon said:

I am one of the people you mention in your first para and I disagree. Truss’ policies lead very quickly to a loss of confidence and a perceived increase in risk which lead to an increase in interest rates. You may choose to argue whether the perceived increase on cris was justified or not, but in a capitalist society it was very predictable.
    The government should make it compulsory that all new warehouses and factories have solar panels on the roof.

Cookie said:

The air bender franchise cracked me up. Clearly no-one had a clue about the U.K. usage…

Cookie said:

Disappointed that @Leon, on his recent visit to Transnistria, didn't go on a bender in Bender!

SteveS said:

pigeon said:

I am one of the people you mention in your first para and I disagree. Truss’ policies lead very quickly to a loss of confidence and a perceived increase in risk which lead to an increase in interest rates. You may choose to argue whether the perceived increase on cris was justified or not, but in a capitalist society it was very predictable.
    Yep.
    Quite astonishing how radical free marketeers simply don't understand how markets actually work.
    See also Public sector recruitment.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,352
    @RochdalePioneers what did you do for Nature?
    Andy_JS said:

The government should make it compulsory that all new warehouses and factories have solar panels on the roof.

And houses.
    Jonathan said:

Sold display advertising 1999 - 2002

Cookie said:

The incorrect assumption there that I am heterosexual makes that an hilariously self-pwning post. Also are you sober enough to be posting?

Cookie said:

The air bender franchise cracked me up. Clearly no-one had a clue about the U.K. usage…
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_considered_the_worst#The_Last_Airbender_(2010)

Cookie said:

The incorrect assumption there that I am heterosexual makes that an hilariously self-pwning post. Also are you sober enough to be posting?
    Where did I say anything about you? We're talking about outspoken Tories prone to consider voting for Braverman.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,724
    stodge said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes, it must be that.

and

2) The smoking ban.

It wasn’t so much loss leader (though that hasn’t helped) as the end of one of the pieces of Rip Off Britain.

In the Goode Olde Days, shops charged about the same as pubs. A bit less, but not enough to make a big difference.

When the supermarket accountants really organised things, they had computerised data on profit per line. They quickly realised that cheap booze could still make a profit, but pile the punters in. So started the race to the cheapest lagers etc.

In the same period, wages and everything else rose. The days of paying your bar staff tuppence a fortnight went and many other costs rose as well.

So here we are with a pint in a London pub costing £7:50 and that also being the price of a pack of cans across the road in Tesco Local.
    It is noticable in South London that in areas where demographic change brought in those in favour of Temperance , pubs have virtually been wiped out, but that is localised and not the primary cause.

I would say that the primary cause is Central Heating and affordable heating, along with television and now t'internet.

Go back to a fifties winter and you sat at home cold and alone and had to go to pubs for chatz like we have on pb.
    Islam is definitely a factor in the death of pubs in East and Soutb London. Denying this is futile

But it's also irrelevant. Cultures change, pubs rise and fall, drink comes and goes, London used to have about 200,000 whores in the late 19th century, is it a great cultural regret they have gone?

*shuffles nervously*

However, if the UK becomes way more homophobic, because we import homophobes from Christian Africa and the Islamic world, then that really is a damn shame. And should be resisted. But so few are willing to address the issue. See this PB debate. Far more comfortable to focus on a non-existent threat of gay bashing white Tory pensioners
    All right - it's Saturday evening, and I'll play.

I've lived in East London for over 20 years and yes, there are fewer pubs than before. The old corner boozers went a long time ago and have become corner shops usually run by Indians or Sri Lankans yet still keep the old name hence "Altmore Arms" for the one in Altmore Road and in truth they provide a convenient local service if you want something urgently. I have four within a 200 yard radius and if I need a pint of milk or a bottle of scotch at 10.30pm, it's not a problem.

The two pubs in the Barking Road are still there - the Denmark Arms was ruined by the pandemic and bad management while the Millers Arms was our local Spoons but Tim Martin gave up on it and it's now being run by a group of Indians. I'll be honest, the Hindus enjoy a drink or several as do the non-devout Muslims and most of the other migrants. Indeed, Newham's latest wheeze is to put sloping lids on the large commercial rubbish bins to stop them being used as bars.

As to why people choose to drink out on the street rather than in the pubs, I have no insight but presume it's economics - perhaps if the supermarkets and corner shops charged the same as the pubs for booze there'd be less of a problem. As to whether there's a wider alcohol problem, that's another question.
    You need minimum pricing. It helps protect pubs.

Cookie said:

Where did I say anything about you? We're talking about outspoken Tories prone to consider voting for Braverman.
    Um, ok
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

pigeon said:

Oh... errr... wait...
    That was the problem. It was not just the unfunded tax cuts that were going to increase what was already a serious deficit. It was the completely blank cheque that she signed at the same time giving open ended guarantees that the State would pay everyone's gas bill indefinitely*. That is what Hunt had to seriously curtail in his budget.

* Brought about by the panic caused by that arsehole Martin Lewis who, in that short period, cost the UK multiples of all the savings he has ever found anyone combined.
    I knew Mr Lewis before he was famous. He was a nice chap then, but I haven't had any contact with him for about twenty years.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,995
    Someone taking pot shots at Donald Trump.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 47,897

Ask Uncle Enzo for your money back.

If the diver does arrive, but has a katana, pay him. Unless you think you are the Protagonist.

Cookie said:

Um, ok
    Yes, ok. This is a thread about Cruella. You asked how the gay village anecdotes relate to her.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,352

Jonathan said:

Interesting. Small world. I rebuilt nature.com.
    Andy_JS said:

It costs very little to install panels if you are doing as part of a housebuild, and the panels themselves are now so cheap, that I am staggered that anyone would buy a house without panels today. And as batteries get cheaper, you can install them later, and move increasingly off grid.

Cookie said:

This is a proper bender

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

And I was really close to being published in nature, but ended up as just an acknowledgement.
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Do I blame you for removing "freepass" as the username and password for full access to the site?

Used to say "welcome Dr Freepass"
    edited July 13
    Some sort of incident at a Trump rally in Pennsylvania. Shots fired.

https://news.sky.com/watch-live
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,424
    edited July 13
    Possible assassination attempt against Trump:

https://x.com/realamvoice/status/1812249146616910276
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,724

JohnO said:

eek said:

O/T I need some advice.

You are fooling yourself. One always knows deep down how to one intends to drink.
    I bet it would only have been a couple of glasses if the service was faster.

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

And I was really close to being published in nature, but ended up as just an acknowledgement.
    Nature Structural Biology way back in 1999!
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,290

Reports of shots fired at a Trump rally

https://x.com/meridithmcgraw/status/1812248766172512373

Hit in the ear?

Cookie said:

This is a proper bender

Bending is his middle name.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,770
    edited July 13

Trump down, looks hit, secret service dragged him away quickly
    "Shots fired at Donald Trump rally in Pennsylvania as former president is seen with blood across his face"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ushome/index.html
    JohnO said:

eek said:

O/T I need some advice.

Planning?

Average how many glasses you drink when lunching with very modest lawyers with quiet shoes.

The order the whole bottle anyway.
    HYUFD said:

Christ - yes, I know he’s Trump. But no, this is could be the worst possible thing. Worse even than a Trump presidency.

HYUFD said:

Christ - yes, I know he’s Trump. But no, this is could be the worst possible thing. Worse even than a Trump presidency.
    Looks like he’s fine.
    edited July 13
    Blood coming from his right ear on the video footage.
    Gosh!
    "Trump Shot" adds another 10 points to his lead
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,399
    edited July 13
    Barnesian said:

Hit in the ear?
    Definitely.

Not sure what kind of weapon though. A lot of shots fired but nobody else obviously hit.

Fired from stage left.
    Barnesian said:

Hit in the ear?
    Fight Club.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 79,948
    edited July 13
    This is the full footage....

https://x.com/KarluskaP/status/1812249240904630704

Trump holds his hand to his ear and later blood coming out.

"Trump Shot" adds another 10 points to his lead

Yep.

If he survives (and it looks like he will on the video) it's won him the 2024 US Presidential Election.
    Barnesian said:

Hit in the ear?
    Looks like it.
    This was my message to a PBer a few hours ago.

Events permitting, I'll be publishing your piece tomorrow morning.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 79,948
    edited July 13
    Looks like Trump literally dodged a bullet to the head.

This was my message to a PBer a few hours ago.

Events permitting, I'll be publishing your piece tomorrow morning.

Dear Boy...
    He's Jesus Christ.
    At the third election he rose again.

Thing I cannot work out, how was nobody behind him was hit?
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,995

Grassy knoll?

You Bad Man. You are David Warner on Titanic.
    edited July 13
    A colleague texts to say Donald Trump is just like me, after getting hit he was worried about his shoes.

Someone said the shots came from the left?

Also in an auditorium, think from above.

Remember “The Dead Zone”?
This discussion has been closed.