Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Northern Ireland [Westminster] Constituencies : Part One (Safe Seats) – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,075

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

🆕 @Moreincommon_ voting intention. Small changes but our highest Reform score yet. While Labour tick back up & lead by 16
    🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)
    Dates: 21-23/6 N: 2046 Tables: moreincommon.org.uk/our-work/votin…
    https://x.com/LukeTryl/status/1805274012135702821?s=19

Reform up but Tories will be relieved their lead over Reform for 2nd is 10% ie double the 5% lead Reform have over the LDs for 3rd
    Why should the Tories be relieved ? They will lose and then have to rebuild a party.
    Actually that is inevitable and I may be mistaken but I cannot see much change in the polling over the next 12 days

I suppose it will all come down to the 'hovering pen' over the ballot paper

For me I just want Starmer in no 10 and for the country to move on
    Twelve days? You are Laura K and I claim by fiver.
    It is 12 days to the 5th July
    It is nine and a bit days until polling day.
    24,25,26,27,28,29,30,01,02,03,04 and result day 05 = 12 days
    I am getting flashbacks to arguments with my daughter about how to count steps.

In 1 day it is the 25th, tomorrow not today, so it is 11 days until Friday evening, the day after the election.
    Do you count today or not is always a matter of some debate.

For me the debate is wrapped up by thinking its nearly 7pm and I've got a beer open, so no, today is done.

Had you said this at 8am this morning, I'd have looked at needing to work today and said yes today has to be counted.
    Bear in mind my daughter was five at the time, and I think you may want to reconsider your answer. In 1 day from 8am on a day it will then be 8am on the next day. Tomorrow.

A flat floor is not a flight of stairs with 1 step.
    1 day from 8am is 8am tomorrow, if we're going full 24 hour units, but today is a day which hasn't happened yet then too so if we're counting discrete days and not hours, then today ought to be counted.

So if we are going off discrete days the question becomes whether you round up, or round down, essentially.

Many years ago I worked in a business which very strictly operated on this principle for dating products. If a product was dated 8 days from now, then that would be a week today. Why? Because today always has to be counted was the rule. If it was dating products for 2 days, that would be today and tomorrow. If something was dated 1 day then that means by close of business today.

All day today and then all day tomorrow ≠ 1 day.
    The context was the statement, "12 days until PM Starmer."

You may have whatever strange definitions you want for other contexts, but in that context, we are effectively counting the gaps between days, because we are counting a duration of time from one point, "now" to a specific point, "then", which will be some time relatively early on July 5th - not until the end of July 5th.
    Today is a day.

Tomorrow is a day.

Today and tomorrow is two days.

The election is on day eleven, but the results come out overnight and in day 12 we will have PM Starmer.

If you want to count the gaps, then you can count the nights. 11 more nights. But like with a holiday you can get 5 days but 4 nights.
    Really?

How many days until PM Starmer?

What is your answer?
    Since its now 8pm I'll say 11.

If you'd asked at 8am I'd say 12.

I'm looking at booking my holiday for next year, we're looking at booking a 5 day, 4 night break. I'd be pissed off if I only got 4 days there.
    Yes. Those are two different contexts for use of the word day, as I explained earlier. This isn't unusual for English, why is that so difficult for you to understand?

If we assume the PM switch happens at 11am on July 5th then it's just over ten and a half days until PM Starmer, though typically people would say 11 days whatever time that question was asked today.

Thinking more about this, I think the old-fashioned way of saying something like this would be, "It's eleven days until the day we expect Starmer becomes PM."

But anyway, this is exactly analogous to counting steps on a flight of stairs, and surely you don't count a single step as two?
    You're right I don't count any step as 2, I count each as 1 - but you don't discount any either.

Just as I'd say my house has 2 stories in it, the ground floor and the top floor. You don't discount any either.

Looking at the days between now and when Starmer comes in, the total is 12.

1: Today
    2: Tomorrrow
    3: 26th
    4: 27th
    5: 28th
    6: 29th
    7: 30th
    8: 1st July
    9: 2nd
    10: 3rd
    11: 4th
    12: 5th

No double counting necessary, just single counting each day. Only way you get to less than 12 is by discounting either today or the 5th or both.
    It's already today. So on one day it is tomorrow. That's why you count one day less in this context.

In your house you move one floor up to get from the ground floor to the upper floor. Not two.

We are counting the time between two days, not counting the days themselves. Do you not see?
    No, we are not. You are, but that wasn't the original quote. The original quote was "over the next 12 days".

Over a period of time includes today. If I say on Monday morning in a meeting that over the next five days we have to get x, y and z done - then it has to be done by Friday, not a week on Monday.

Today is day one of the next 12 days. Tomorrow is day two. We aren't talking steps, we're counting all the time - at the time the quote was made there were still polls to come out today, as well as polls to come out tomorrow and ultimately the actual poll that counts on day 12.
    Most people do not include the current day. If you gave most people five days from 9.10 pm today they would expect it to be a Saturday deadline.
    Jeez. This debate is starting to give the dispute about the Filoque a run for its money as poisonous debates about pedantic semantics go.
    Don't let them get onto the subject of how many days until the start of autumn!
    Guess the Weight of Boris Johnson is the classic of the genre.
    I prefer the muscle mass percentage variant.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,157

HYUFD said:

🆕 @Moreincommon_ voting intention. Small changes but our highest Reform score yet. While Labour tick back up & lead by 16
    🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

Reform up but Tories will be relieved their lead over Reform for 2nd is 10% ie double the 5% lead Reform have over the LDs for 3rd
    Why should the Tories be relieved ? They will lose and then have to rebuild a party.
    Actually that is inevitable and I may be mistaken but I cannot see much change in the polling over the next 12 days

In 1 day it is the 25th, tomorrow not today, so it is 11 days until Friday evening, the day after the election.

For me the debate is wrapped up by thinking its nearly 7pm and I've got a beer open, so no, today is done.

Had you said this at 8am this morning, I'd have looked at needing to work today and said yes today has to be counted.
    Bear in mind my daughter was five at the time, and I think you may want to reconsider your answer. In 1 day from 8am on a day it will then be 8am on the next day. Tomorrow.

1 day from 8am is 8am tomorrow, if we're going full 24 hour units, but today is a day which hasn't happened yet then too so if we're counting discrete days and not hours, then today ought to be counted.

So if we are going off discrete days the question becomes whether you round up, or round down, essentially.

Many years ago I worked in a business which very strictly operated on this principle for dating products. If a product was dated 8 days from now, then that would be a week today. Why? Because today always has to be counted was the rule. If it was dating products for 2 days, that would be today and tomorrow. If something was dated 1 day then that means by close of business today.

You may have whatever strange definitions you want for other contexts, but in that context, we are effectively counting the gaps between days, because we are counting a duration of time from one point, "now" to a specific point, "then", which will be some time relatively early on July 5th - not until the end of July 5th.
    Today is a day.

Tomorrow is a day.

The election is on day eleven, but the results come out overnight and in day 12 we will have PM Starmer.

If you want to count the gaps, then you can count the nights. 11 more nights. But like with a holiday you can get 5 days but 4 nights.
    Really?

What is your answer?

I'm looking at booking my holiday for next year, we're looking at booking a 5 day, 4 night break. I'd be pissed off if I only got 4 days there.
    Yes. Those are two different contexts for use of the word day, as I explained earlier. This isn't unusual for English, why is that so difficult for you to understand?

If we assume the PM switch happens at 11am on July 5th then it's just over ten and a half days until PM Starmer, though typically people would say 11 days whatever time that question was asked today.

Thinking more about this, I think the old-fashioned way of saying something like this would be, "It's eleven days until the day we expect Starmer becomes PM."

But anyway, this is exactly analogous to counting steps on a flight of stairs, and surely you don't count a single step as two?
    You're right I don't count any step as 2, I count each as 1 - but you don't discount any either.

Just as I'd say my house has 2 stories in it, the ground floor and the top floor. You don't discount any either.

No double counting necessary, just single counting each day. Only way you get to less than 12 is by discounting either today or the 5th or both.
    It's already today. So on one day it is tomorrow. That's why you count one day less in this context.

In your house you move one floor up to get from the ground floor to the upper floor. Not two.

We are counting the time between two days, not counting the days themselves. Do you not see?
    No, we are not. You are, but that wasn't the original quote. The original quote was "over the next 12 days".

Over a period of time includes today. If I say on Monday morning in a meeting that over the next five days we have to get x, y and z done - then it has to be done by Friday, not a week on Monday.

Today is day one of the next 12 days. Tomorrow is day two. We aren't talking steps, we're counting all the time - at the time the quote was made there were still polls to come out today, as well as polls to come out tomorrow and ultimately the actual poll that counts on day 12.
    TEN DAYS TO SAVE THE TORY PARTY!!!!
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,438
    Is Foyle that safe? Have no knowledge on the ground in Derry. But SF are always there or thereabouts.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Is Foyle that safe? Have no knowledge on the ground in Derry. But SF are always there or thereabouts.

They haven't gone away, you know.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,635

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

Today is a day.

Tomorrow is a day.

Really?

What is your answer?

Most people do not include the current day. If you gave most people five days from 9.10 pm today they would expect it to be a Saturday deadline.
    Jeez. This debate is starting to give the dispute about the Filoque a run for its money as poisonous debates about pedantic semantics go.
    It is ALL muscle.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,237
    edited June 24
    Just had a chat with my brother in Wimbledon, who has been canvassing for Labour.

Remarkably good reception on the doorstep. I think Lab value here at 5.5 on Bet365

• Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,438
    Off topic, Switzerland looks lovely and they have 27% tax over gdp. It's not like governments spend most of their money on public beautification.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,550

First

OT: The more and more people I talk to, the more I think the story of this election is still Partygate.

The thing that annoyed middle England like nothing else - that anecdotally has turned away so many people’s ‘lifelong Tory uncles/aunts’ - is probably more responsible than anything that happened since.

And here is something that might reverberate.

If the Tories do end up on 0-50 seats: Might it improve the public standards of governments for decades to come?

If it becomes the narrative going forward, I imagine governments will become far far less tolerant of things like Gamblergate. Internal discipline will have to increase. Govts with huge majorities will no longer thing they are invulnerable - “Remember what happened to the Tories in 2024?”

This might be an optimistic take on things. But regardless of your political persuasion, I think it would send a strong “Don’t mess with the British public” message for future governments of all stripes - and that can only be good for us all.

I think the root causes of the election result, the Tories’ collapse, as austerity, Brexit and Partygate. And I suspect the Conservative Party will conclude that the root cause is that they didn’t talk enough about immigration and tax cuts.
    What austerity? They have hosed money at voters - look at the size of the National Debt.
    Pensioners have been hosed down with largesse since 2010 courtesy of the triple lock. In most other areas of expenditure it's been all about inadequate increases or outright cuts.

The deficit is down to our being a low wage, low productivity economy full to bursting with benefit dependent people (pensioners, the chronically ill, and low paid workers who can't afford to live off their pathetic wages due to the ludicrous cost of housing and, more recently, a burst of hyperinflation.) The national debt is down to that, plus a hefty penalty from Covid.

Real wages have barely recovered to 2008 levels, house prices and especially rents have spiralled out of control for much of the last fourteen years whilst rates of construction have lagged hopelessly behind what is required, both working age social security and public sector pay have been frozen or restricted to paltry rises for most of the period since 2010 (and private sector pay hasn't fared very much better,) and the average pensioner household now has a higher disposable income, after allowing for housing costs, than the average working household. The economy is bent totally out of shape and the only net beneficiaries have been wealthy retirees in big houses, landlords, and the very rich.

Now, try asking all the people who can barely afford to eat (even if they work full time,) anyone who can't get a GP appointment for a month, anyone whose children are trying to learn in a school that is falling down around them, whether they're being "hosed with money," and see what sort of response you get.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 11,091
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Fuck me, have I lucked out with the weather or WHAT

I cannot imagine a nicer thing than a free week (thank you, the French tax payer) touring the islands of Brittany in unfiltered summer sunshine, all exes paid, cars boats and hotels, plus oysters and kirs Breton included (kir Bretons? Sir Kirs Bretonnique?)

Heh

I think Kirs Breton is the more elegant formulation. As it is, I’m not massively keen on the drink (finding it too sweet). But, first world problems. Brittany is, as you say, lovely.
    One or two are perfect around 4pm on a hot afternoon, in my experience, the sweetness is perhaps akin to the desire for a scone and jam and cream at British teatime, never a bad thing - but I prefer the alcohol

Brittany is seriously lovely, It may be my new favourite region of France, overtaking Languedoc and the Basque Country

The only bits I have left to explore are parts of Normandy and the eastern fringe, tho I have been there a fair amount

The roads are, as you say, astonishingly good. They actually have beautiful roundabouts. Who the fuck has beautiful roundabouts??? Not even Switzerland or the richest corners of the USA - Connecticut- SOCA - have beautiful roundabouts. I imagine some peculiar French college of roundabout design possibly in the Cevennes or near Amboise which has been going since Louis XI expressed a need for more lovely turnpikes in the 1530s, and which still prevails

Indeed there is probably a French Guild of Roundabout Designers who elect a dozen Immortals every year but recently they are feeling threatened by South Korean motorway verge dudes so they are all going to vote Nazi
    You might actually be close to reality there.

France has the most roundabouts in the world (though we have more per km of road), and they were little known in S Korea a decade or so back.

First introduced in Jeju, in 2010, they are steadily being adopted in the name of efficient traffic management.
    Near Macon there’s the most beautifully designed roundabout in the world (well, that I’ve seen).

It evokes the Roche de Solutre. A perfectly to-scale limestone outcrop, with its neighbour the Roche de Vergisson. On the “slopes”, neatly clipped box bushes (the real rock is covered in box woods). At the base, 3 beautifully pruned and healthy rows of Chardonnay vines, which bear ripe bunches of grapes in the summer.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 11,091
    Foxy said:

Just had a chat with my brother in Wimbledon, who has been canvassing for Labour.

Remarkably good reception on the doorstep. I think Lab value here at 5.5 on Bet365

Lab/Lib 1-2 perhaps?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 40,032
    Wimbledon soon anyway. It really doesn't seem 2 years since that terrific Alcaraz Djokovic final. And gosh it's 9 years since that 2nd win of Andy's. Where does the time go?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,556

On topic (and thanks for the great thread @TheGreenMachine), the decline of the UUP is a sight to behold.

You see that UUP, Tories? That’s your future that is…

Watch the hubris, Ian.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,450

HYUFD said:

🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

Today is a day.

Tomorrow is a day.

Really?

What is your answer?

A pedant notes that it is Filioque. And this debate has to run for about another 1200 years to catch up with it. Remarkably the Episcopals in Scotland omit this notorious clause and no-one has noticed.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,556
    Foxy said:

Wimbledon could be a genuine three-way.
  • Options

Foxy said:

If this is tennis, the number is either 2 or 4. Perhaps you are referring to politics or sex or something like that.
  • Options

Foxy said:

More like a two way between Labour and Libdem if the local results in 2022 are anything to go by
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,108

On topic (and thanks for the great thread @TheGreenMachine), the decline of the UUP is a sight to behold.

Watch the hubris, Ian.
    Listen to CR, RP. Tories are experts on hubris. And they’re about to become experts on what comes after hubris.
  • Options
    LloydBanksLloydBanks Posts: 27

DougSeal said:

OT: The more and more people I talk to, the more I think the story of this election is still Partygate.

The thing that annoyed middle England like nothing else - that anecdotally has turned away so many people’s ‘lifelong Tory uncles/aunts’ - is probably more responsible than anything that happened since.

If the Tories do end up on 0-50 seats: Might it improve the public standards/accountability of governments for years to come?

If ‘Partygate wot lost it’ becomes the narrative going forward - including other conduct related scandals - I imagine governments will become far far less tolerant of sloppy conduct - things like Gamblergate. Internal discipline will have to increase. Govts with huge majorities will no longer thing they are invulnerable - “Remember what happened to the Tories in 2024?”

This might be an optimistic take on things. But regardless of your political persuasion, I think it would send a strong “Don’t mess with the British public” message for future governments of all stripes - and that can only be good for us all.

Well "partygate" is such an issue because many of the british feel they were conned with the covid lockdowns and are ashamed of their part in it (for example letting people die alone). Interestingly this was where the biggest opposition to partygate came from from those who let their relatives die alone. But a large part of this is shame they let their loved ones die alone on the orders of the british state. This toxic shame leads to overwhelming hatred for those who enforced the measures/conned them.
    You are so embarrassingly bad at this I almost feel sorry for you.
    Indeed. Do they not have capitalisation of proper nouns in Russia?
    They do, but almost all other languages don't capitalise the adjectives derived from them (including Russian). COVID is apparently lowercase in Russian.

DougSeal said:

If the Tories do end up on 0-50 seats: Might it improve the public standards/accountability of governments for years to come?

If ‘Partygate wot lost it’ becomes the narrative going forward - including other conduct related scandals - I imagine governments will become far far less tolerant of sloppy conduct - things like Gamblergate. Internal discipline will have to increase. Govts with huge majorities will no longer thing they are invulnerable - “Remember what happened to the Tories in 2024?”

Well "partygate" is such an issue because many of the british feel they were conned with the covid lockdowns and are ashamed of their part in it (for example letting people die alone). Interestingly this was where the biggest opposition to partygate came from from those who let their relatives die alone. But a large part of this is shame they let their loved ones die alone on the orders of the british state. This toxic shame leads to overwhelming hatred for those who enforced the measures/conned them.
    They do, but almost all other languages don't capitalise the adjectives derived from them (including Russian). COVID is apparently lowercase in Russian.
    They use the full word коронавирус and put it in lower case. Lower case nationalities is one of the tells of Russian-influenced English (overuse of nouns where fluent English speakers use verbs is another one)

They tend to use 'coronavirus', lower case (коронавирус):
  • Options

Foxy said:

This is a family show.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,106
    Foxy said:

That wasn't my experience on the doorsteps in Wimbledon
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,401
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I cannot imagine a nicer thing than a free week (thank you, the French tax payer) touring the islands of Brittany in unfiltered summer sunshine, all exes paid, cars boats and hotels, plus oysters and kirs Breton included (kir Bretons? Sir Kirs Bretonnique?)

Heh

We’re you not moaning madly yesterday about how much hard work it all was? Enjoy it.
    I wasn’t moaning MADLY i was mildly bleating that it is harder work than it looks. It ain’t a holiday, they very often impose insanely punishing itineraries that you have to fight, eg tomorrow I am up at 6am so I can get to Belle Ile by 8 and see as much of it as possible in two days, because the locals want to show me the best of the island, food wine and cote sauvage

Yes that sounds great but jeez it can be exhausting, also you have to be nice to EVERYONE and meet lots of guides and tourist people and restaurateurs and hoteliers and express a sincere interest in EVERYTHING. It helps that I am an enthusiast by nature

And does anyone at home understand how hard it is having to do loads of amazing things and eat amazing food in amazing places for free? No they do NOT
    It’s a tough job but someone’s got to do it. Do you find that charlie helps you cope?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,920

HYUFD said:

🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

Today is a day.

Tomorrow is a day.

Really?

What is your answer?

TEN DAYS TO SAVE THE TORY PARTY!!!!
    That was long ago.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,174

Watch the hubris, Ian.
    Hubris? That was satire. Spoofing History Today…
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 29,071
    Foxy said:

The Tories could come third in Wimbledon, remarkably. LDs probably slightly more likely to win it than Labour.
  • Options

There’s a fundamental difference, though. The Tories are declining because they are too extreme. The UUP are declining because they’re not extreme enough.
  • Options
    Lib Dems in Wimbledon, my aunt works for the Labour Party there.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,851
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Heh

I think Kirs Breton is the more elegant formulation. As it is, I’m not massively keen on the drink (finding it too sweet). But, first world problems. Brittany is, as you say, lovely.
    One or two are perfect around 4pm on a hot afternoon, in my experience, the sweetness is perhaps akin to the desire for a scone and jam and cream at British teatime, never a bad thing - but I prefer the alcohol

Brittany is seriously lovely, It may be my new favourite region of France, overtaking Languedoc and the Basque Country

The only bits I have left to explore are parts of Normandy and the eastern fringe, tho I have been there a fair amount

The roads are, as you say, astonishingly good. They actually have beautiful roundabouts. Who the fuck has beautiful roundabouts??? Not even Switzerland or the richest corners of the USA - Connecticut- SOCA - have beautiful roundabouts. I imagine some peculiar French college of roundabout design possibly in the Cevennes or near Amboise which has been going since Louis XI expressed a need for more lovely turnpikes in the 1530s, and which still prevails

Indeed there is probably a French Guild of Roundabout Designers who elect a dozen Immortals every year but recently they are feeling threatened by South Korean motorway verge dudes so they are all going to vote Nazi

France has the most roundabouts in the world (though we have more per km of road), and they were little known in S Korea a decade or so back.

First introduced in Jeju, in 2010, they are steadily being adopted in the name of efficient traffic management.
    The US has far too few roundabouts, with the result that no-one knows how to handle them. I can only think of two:* one is somewhere in northern New Hampshire and I'll never find it again, the other is adjacent to the rear entrance of Mar-a-Lago. Approaching it on Route A1A I feel a knot in my stomach as I realise I'm the only driver in the vicinity who knows what to do and all the others are heavily armed.

*I'd exclude Columbus Circle because it's controlled by lights. The point of a proper roundabout is to obviate the need for them.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

Counting is an ancient problem, and is mostly about exclusive and inclusive counting, and a bit of a puzzle for lawyers too.

Anciently, the tradition 'three days' from death to resurrection of Jesus is odd; death on Friday afternoon. Resurrected by early Sunday morning, is a day and a half to us.

Is a school half term (Mon-Fri) really 5 days, or is it really the Friday 3.30 to 8 am Monday, 10 days later?
    Indeed. Counting is a modern problem too, if you are Laura K or Big G.
    I understand the Romans banned time. You weren’t allowed to have clocks or watches. Was that a PB discussion?
  • Options
    TimS said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Heh

Near Macon there’s the most beautifully designed roundabout in the world (well, that I’ve seen).

It evokes the Roche de Solutre. A perfectly to-scale limestone outcrop, with its neighbour the Roche de Vergisson. On the “slopes”, neatly clipped box bushes (the real rock is covered in box woods). At the base, 3 beautifully pruned and healthy rows of Chardonnay vines, which bear ripe bunches of grapes in the summer.
    Isn’t there one neat Toulouse with a Mirage on it ?
  • Options

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

Today is a day.

Tomorrow is a day.

Really?

What is your answer?

It is ALL muscle.
    Especially between the ears.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

Counting is an ancient problem, and is mostly about exclusive and inclusive counting, and a bit of a puzzle for lawyers too.

Anciently, the tradition 'three days' from death to resurrection of Jesus is odd; death on Friday afternoon. Resurrected by early Sunday morning, is a day and a half to us.

Is a school half term (Mon-Fri) really 5 days, or is it really the Friday 3.30 to 8 am Monday, 10 days later?
    I understand the Romans banned time. You weren’t allowed to have clocks or watches. Was that a PB discussion?
    I’m sure it has been covered at some point.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,780

HYUFD said:

🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

Today is a day.

Tomorrow is a day.

Really?

What is your answer?

I think it's incredibly gauche to carry such a debate forward into a new thread.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Heh

Isn’t there one neat Toulouse with a Mirage on it ?
    No, it’s real.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,970
    edited June 24
    Always appreciate a bit of detail from Northern Ireland.

Only a bit mind you. Never go full Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    Italy on the verge of exiting the Euros!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Wimbledon soon anyway. It really doesn't seem 2 years since that terrific Alcaraz Djokovic final. And gosh it's 9 years since that 2nd win of Andy's. Where does the time go?

A pedant speaks: Djokovic v Alcaraz was last year. Two years ago was Djokovic v Kyrgios.
  • Options
    It's a party trait, not just a leader trait

THE man standing for Reform UK in Salisbury has come under fire after he said Vladimir Putin "seemed very good".

Julian Malins KC told a hustings audience that the Russian president "is not the Austrian gentleman with a moustache come alive again" on Sunday evening, June 23.

https://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/24407670.reform-uk-salisbury-candidate-says-putin-seemed-good/
  • Options

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

Not tempus fugit, so much as tempus, fookit ?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Always nice when a seat could genuinely go multiple ways.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,697

Watch the hubris, Ian.
    Was that The Mary Whitehouse Experience?

Milky, milky...
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,398
    pigeon said:

kinabalu said:

A pedant speaks: Djokovic v Alcaraz was last year. Two years ago was Djokovic v Kyrgios.
    This year. Last year. Two years ago.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,429

They'll go through as a top 3rd placed team surely?
  • Options
    Thanks @TheGreenMachine for an interesting header.

Do you think SF will have their popularity dented by events South of the border?

Some Scottish tips would be very welcome if our Caledonian contingent would like to contribute.
  • Options

They should still qualify as one of the best third place finishers… I think.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,106

Lib Dems in Wimbledon, my aunt works for the Labour Party there.

I've canvassed four times in Wimbledon in different places. . Found Tories, very few Labour plenty of LibDems. I think they are favourites.
    Canvassed a heavily tattooed fellow. Ex Tory. He wanted me to join him and his wife for a paella. Asked if I knew Nigel Farage. I put him down as a Maybe. No not really.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Only a bit mind you. Never go full Northern Ireland. Never go full Northern Ireland.

Simple Union Jack?
  • Options

They'll only have three points. Might not be enough. This will doubtless be discussed after the match if they fail to equalise.
  • Options

They should still qualify as one of the best third place finishers… I think.
    D'oh! I forgot about that :blush:
  • Options

https://x.com/redfieldwilton/status/1805269652861231157?s=46

Redfield and Wilton

Labour leads Reform by 23%.

Joint-highest Reform %.

Joint-lowest Conservative %.

🇬🇧 Westminster VI (21-24 June):

Labour 42% (–)
    Reform UK 19% (–)
    Conservative 18% (–)
    Lib Dem 12% (+1)
    Green 6% (+1)
    SNP 3% (–)
    Other 2% (+1)

BAXTERED

LAB 501
    LIB DEMS 60
    CONS 38
    REFUK 5
    GRN 2

Absolutely disastrous for the conservatives given it includes faragegate. No impact whatsoever on polling.
    Welcome GrandCanyon. Are you bit of a wide boy?

It’s impossible for taking Putin’s side in the Ukraine war, like MAGA do, not to hurt Reform by quite a lot actually. British voters are different culture than the MAGA crowd, European, different history, not instinctively isolationist as US history, and political and media establishment that condemns Putin for his crimes. Let’s look again next Monday to see if Ref have dropped quite a lot across all the polls. Like Tory’s 26, Ref no more than 12.
    Look at your own post. You had to exaggerate NF's words, because on their own, they're not sufficient to make your case. Everything to do with Ukraine is completely heightened and exaggerated - every bit of the political and media class is totally invested in pushing the 'Putin evil' message, and there is no room for even a little descent. That opens up what I will call a 'common sense gap' for Farage that he can step into, where he can say something fairly mild - something that Boris once said, something not entirely unsupported by the facts of the case; the entire political and media will mobilise against him, and people who are sick of being told what to think will rally to his side.
    But Farage is still wrong though. The point of the EU “is” to peel Slavonic states away from Russia allegiance to create a super bloc that abides by democracy, fair capitalism, better living standards, education and infrastructure for everyone.
    How does that point make him wrong?
    It’s so obvious why. Peeling them away from Russia to give them those things is so much better for the people living in those states.
    Yes, so how does that make what he said (that they gave him the excuse to invade Ukraine) wrong?
    Because if an Independent Scotland said they are joining the EU, and will then allow EU snoop devices along the border with us, on their side, we would be completely in the WRONG to invade them. Would we not? Simples.
    Nobody is saying that Putin wasn't wrong to invade Ukraine. Farage has suggested that the EU expanding into Ukraine gave Putin a pretext to invade. Putin being 'wrong' to do so is neither here nor there - we're not 5 years old.
    I’m sorry, I thought he had gone further than saying “just a pretext”.
    Well why don't you watch the interview then?

And whilst you're at it, here's TalkTV's voodoo Youtube question thing that popped up on my feed: http://youtube.com/post/UgkxPJs6ePq2pnDITgxgWVt-ToF8_oJeMlyE?si=LWKFEjzKNR6lrsPh

Now, it's rightwing Youtube, headbanging comments are to be expected, but with it being a Murdoch/pro Tory channel, might one expect 15%, 10%, even 5% of the commentors to be negative toward Farage's remarks? Where are these disgusted Redwall voters who will flock back to Sunak?
    You are enjoying all this, aren’t you? Should you be enjoying all this though?

If Lady Thatcher could come back now, she would spank you on your bare bottom 🍑
  • Options
    New Ukraine military shakeup: Zelensky replaced Lt. Gen. Yuriy Sodol with Brig. Gen. Andriy Hnatov as commander of Joint Forces of the army hours after serious complaints about Sodol's conduct were aired publicly by Bohdan Krotevych, chief of staff of Azov National Guard Brigade.
    https://x.com/ChristopherJM/status/1805305880331583641
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 1,003
    carnforth said:

Hard to underestimate the sewage stuff too. That has seriously angered people.
    Wrongly, in the main: we are just measuring it better. But the government has such shit comms no one knows that.
    Shit shit comms, then...
  • Options
    Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 314

DougSeal said:

Good spot.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,325
    edited June 24
    Nigelb said:

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

Not tempus fugit, so much as tempus, fookit ?
    No. They had sundials and waterclocks. But the length of the hours varied with the time of year, which didn't help (the 12 hours of the day = the time between dawn and dusk). So when Pliny says it was about the seventh hour - hora fere septima - that Vesuvius blew its top, he meant a bit later than 1300 GMT, because it was late August and the summer hours were longer.

Edit: but in the interests of scholarly evenhandedness, see this:

https://archaeologymysteries.com/2023/03/19/the-debate-on-the-date-of-the-eruption-of-vesuvius-in-79/
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,492
    edited June 24
    Italy 1:1

Sixty seconds to go
  • Options
    Oh wow, Italy score in injury time! 1-1 against Croatia
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,398
    That's why we enjoy football.
  • Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 582

Hard to underestimate the sewage stuff too. That has seriously angered people.
    And yet the 'sewage stuff' might all just be data measurement issues...
    I think it’s got worse recently but also we only know it’s got worse because they are forced to measure and report it. I simply cannot square the dead rivers of the 1970s being somehow cleaner than those of 2024, albeit there are specific issues in some places. Many rivers 50 years ago were essentially dead, now salmon and trout have returned all over the land.
    They have not. Salmon fishing beats (bits of riverbank) in Scotland change hands for 10% of what they did 50 years ago. Admittedly that's not necessarily because of river water quality, but still a fact.
  • Options
    edited June 24

kle4 said:

Only a bit mind you. Never go full Northern Ireland. Never go full Northern Ireland.

Simple Union Jack?
    On 17 July [1978], Paisley interrupted the opening proceedings of the European Parliament to protest that the Union Jack outside the building was flying upside down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Paisley
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,473

Watch the hubris, Ian.
    That's you that is 👍
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,454
    Scott_xP said:

Watch the hubris, Ian.
    Was that The Mary Whitehouse Experience?

Milky, milky...
    The post Mary Whitehouse Experience Punt and Dennis sketch "spot the stiff" is more relevant.

(Premise: watching old war films, you can tell who won't make it to the end.

"When this war is over, I'm going to marry my girl Masie..."
    DEAD)

Hello, I'm your Conservative cand...
    DEAD

• Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,142
    Croatia: Twinned with Scotland
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,934
    England through to the second round
  • Options
    Blimey. Feel sorry for Croatia. But they were so wasteful in possession at the death. Why didn’t they just run the ball into the corner and run down the clock?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,639
    Good predictions, I agree Upper Bann likely closest but DUP should just hold off SF
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,810
    Croatia out unless England win by three.

They are so fooked....
  • Options
    Nunu5 said:

DougSeal said:

Good spot.
    Why don't they use The Guardian style sheet?
  • Options

There’s a fundamental difference, though. The Tories are declining because they are too extreme. The UUP are declining because they’re not extreme enough.
    No, the Tories are declining as they are leaking massively to Farage and Reform voters Boris won in 2019 as well as to Labour as the UUP declined by leaking heavily to Paisley's DUP who in turn are now leaking to the even more extreme TUV.

However I think this election UUP may make a gain or 2, Robin Swann likely gains S Antrim from the DUP and they were very close in Fermanagh and S Tyrone with SF last time and the other Unionist parties have given them a free run. They will also likely squeeze the Alliance votes in both seats
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 40,032
    pigeon said:

kinabalu said:

Ok. But I was on Bart time.

(has to be Alcaraz or Sinner this year imo. The new Big 2)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,358
    Left-wing commentator Aaron Bastani has been quite interesting on the political trends in Europe at the moment:

https://x.com/aaronbastani/status/1805340775233867997

• Options
    edited June 24

Foxy said:

Getting as naughty as the new Bridgerton!
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 12,169
    Fucking depressing after all these years how well Sinn Fein still do. I still think Mo Mowlam's approach essentially amounted to pandering to the extremists and nullified the moderates on each side.
  • Options
    Deltapoll

Labour 43%
    Tories 19%
    Reform 15%
    LDs 13%
    Greens 5%
    SNP 2%
    https://x.com/DeltapollUK/status/1805285893973938177
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,805
    HYUFD said:

No, the Tories are declining as they are leaking massively to Farage and Reform voters Boris won in 2019 as well as to Labour as the UUP declined by leaking heavily to Paisley's DUP who in turn are now leaking to the even more extreme TUV.

However I think this election UUP may make a gain or 2, Robin Swann likely gains S Antrim from the DUP and they were very close in Fermanagh and S Tyrone with SF last time and the other Unionist parties have given them a free run. They will also likely squeeze the Alliance votes in both seats
    No, the Tories are declining as they are leaking massively to Labour.

Reform aren't going to beat Tory candidates, Labour will, and every vote lost to Labour is worth 2 votes lost to Reform.
  • Options
    TheGreenMachineTheGreenMachine Posts: 1,060

Is there an unwritten agreement between SF and SDLP that one won't stand in South Belfast and the other wont stand in Upper Bann?

SF are not standing in Belfast South because they are endorsing a candidate in which they believe is progressive, Kate Nicholl or Claire Hanna.

SF & SDLP are running in Upper Bann but DUP should win by a few thousand votes.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,545
    OT. Very surprised to see Simon Jenkin in the Guardian coming out in support of Farage's Ukraine comments.

I think he is wrong and his arguments are partial but mention it as the Guardian was the last place I expected to see any support for Farage.
  • Options
    edited June 24

HYUFD said:

No, the Tories are declining as they are leaking massively to Labour.

Reform aren't going to beat Tory candidates, Labour will, and every vote lost to Labour is worth 2 votes lost to Reform.
    32% of 2019 Tory voters now back Reform but only 8% of 2019 Tory voters now back Labour with Yougov.

11% of 2019 LDs now back the Tories but that is nowhere near enough to counter the leakage above
    https://d3nkl3psvxxpe9.cloudfront.net/documents/Sky_VI_240618_w.pdf
  • Options

OT. Very surprised to see Simon Jenkin in the Guardian coming out in support of Farage's Ukraine comments.

I think he is wrong and his arguments are partial but mention it as the Guardian was the last place I expected to see any support for Farage.

Is that the guy with a column in both times and Guardian? His Times articles antagonisingly left leaning, his Guardian commentary provocatively right wing positions - the winner being his bank balance 🤑

Or have I got it wrong?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,545

Is that the guy with a column in both times and Guardian? His Times articles antagonisingly left leaning, his Guardian commentary provocatively right wing positions - the winner being his bank balance 🤑

Or have I got it wrong?
    I genuinely don't know. I have never liked him or what he has to say so I must admit I don't follow him. His Guardian article came up on my MSN feed.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,551

Or have I got it wrong?
    Jenkins is widely ridiculed for always taking the wrong position on any topic. God knows how he's not been shuffled off into retirement.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,600

They are so fooked....

Feel sorry for Modric. He really put his heart into that game. Probably his last for Croatia.

It would be rather nice to see England thrash Slovenia both for their own self respect and to throw Croatia a lifeline. (The fact my wife has picked Croatia in the work's draw has nothing to do with this I might add...honest)
    My two darkhorse bets were Netherlands and Croatia.

Come on England!!! Stick in the three!!
  • Options

No worries, glad you like it. There are too many political parties within each country of the UK and Ireland.

I actually think Allen is okay, however the majority of UUP are not great.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,473

They are so fooked....

Feel sorry for Modric. He really put his heart into that game. Probably his last for Croatia.

It would be rather nice to see England thrash Slovenia both for their own self respect and to throw Croatia a lifeline. (The fact my wife has picked Croatia in the work's draw has nothing to do with this I might add...honest)
    It is quite plausible England win by 3 tomorrow. Let's see.
  • Options
    edited June 24

Jenkins has been a nutty contrarian for some while now.
    The Guardian has a pretty laissez écrire attitude towards its opinion contributors.
    Most of them are slightly nuts (though not so often completely bonkers like their Telegraph counterparts).
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,363

First

If the Tories do end up on 0-50 seats: Might it improve the public standards of governments for decades to come?

If it becomes the narrative going forward, I imagine governments will become far far less tolerant of things like Gamblergate. Internal discipline will have to increase. Govts with huge majorities will no longer thing they are invulnerable - “Remember what happened to the Tories in 2024?”

I think the root causes of the election result, the Tories’ collapse, as austerity, Brexit and Partygate. And I suspect the Conservative Party will conclude that the root cause is that they didn’t talk enough about immigration and tax cuts.
    What austerity? They have hosed money at voters - look at the size of the National Debt.
    Not all voters are hosed equally.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,805

Its horseshoe theory.

The nutters on the far left and the far right have more in common with each other than with the centre left and centre right.
  • Options

Simon Jenkins was brought in to the Guardian to offer a contrary voice. You could think of him as a [political] diversity hire.

The Guardian broadly speaking have three types of columnists. The columnist who says what you (a lefty) already thinks, but with more wit, anger and style then you can manage. The columnist who tells you something a bit new, that you didn't know before, or hadn't joined the dots before. The columnist who provides the contrary viewpoint that you can reassuringly easily demolish.

Jenkins is the last. A bit like a pet. I haven't bothered to read his columns in a long time.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,418
    @RochdalePioneers sorry, I was busy earlier and didn't reply on the old thread til well after this one started. TSE, my reply there also applies to the point you made.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Considering SF are running a relatively unknown low key candidate, I think Eastwood has done enough within Foyle to get the majority of his voters to vote for him again.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,600
    Keiran Pedley
    @keiranpedley
    ·
    2h
    Keir Starmer really seems to have grown into this campaign.

https://x.com/keiranpedley/status/1805314355233538474
  • Options

Keiran Pedley
    @keiranpedley
    ·
    2h

I've criticised him for being timid, but perhaps the confidence of a landslide election victory will blow that away, and we'll see a different Starmer as PM.
  • Options

Pretty much spot on, however they are viewed as the most misogynist local party as there are very few females within the party.

The thing is the Loyalist paramilitaries vote for DUP, therefore UUP are told to not to stand within certain areas.

Hopefully, that has eased up.
  • Options
    Front of the Telegraph, a source close to cabinet office accuse the police of leaking names of Tories involved in the betting scandal. There doesn’t appear to be any evidence in the article, except they suspected gambling commission did but have now ruled them out, and that the police had been given advanced heads up of the announcement by Rishi.

Apart from that article, GambleGate hasn’t made the front pages, so is it Tory’s themselves keeping the story alive breathing this headline into it? Also, the ship of state is the only ship that leaks from the top, what makes them so sure it was the police to go as far as publicly blaming them? 🫢
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Only a bit mind you. Never go full Northern Ireland.

Lol.
  • Options
    Interesting to see that even now the Northern Ireland Conservatives have bothered to put up 5 candidates, which is more than they put up in 2019, even if way fewer than 16 in 2015.

They get nowhere, obviously, less than 1% of the vote usually, but I still like that they even bother. People go for the parties that are strong locally, but they should have the opportunity to vote for parties which have a bigger footprint across the UK if they want.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Thanks @TheGreenMachine for an interesting header.

Do you think SF will have their popularity dented by events South of the border?

Some Scottish tips would be very welcome if our Caledonian contingent would like to contribute.

Highly unlikely in my honest opinion.
  • Options

Keiran Pedley
    @keiranpedley
    ·
    2h

Keir really impressive there. Glad he was given time to expand on what he meant.