Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Never go full Corbyn 2019 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,188
    Farooq said:

megasaur said:

Latin and French are the best languages to swear in, it is like wiping your arse with silk.

Rabelais, no slouch at swearing in french, has a whole chapter in Gargantua about what makes the best torche-cul and concludes that it is the neck of a live goose.
    The logistics of this baffle me. Are you meant to sit and.. produce.. with an actual goose standing there staring at you while it awaits an experience that its tiny mind cannot begin to predict. Or does someone fetch one to you when you're good and ready? How does it work, mechanically? Is there a risk of it pecking you in places you don't want pecked? What happens afterwards? Do you have a panicked goose running around hitting the walls, leaving unpleasant streaks at approximately neck height? Does any of this seem remotely worth the trouble?
    Oh, who am I kidding, I want still want to try it.
    Pehaps you are to have someone sedate the goose before the whole messy business begins.

I imagine it's quite peaceful to sit there, nudging a loaf out, with a goose lying on the tiles by your feet, slowly breathing a dreamless bird sleep, completely unaware of the state it's going to wake up in.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,293

Latin and French are the best languages to swear in, it is like wiping your arse with silk.

Izal was like wiping your arse with greaseproof paper.

I remember being I'm York and being so desperate for a shit that I knocked on a random house door and asking if I could use there toilet.

What we're the odds of them having f***ing Izal!
    5 hrs earlier I had proposed to Mrs BJ in a romantic gesture in an Italian Restaurant.

She wasn't impressed that 5 hrs later after 2 closed public toilets I was shuffling up to houses clenched cheek style and asking random strangers for use of their facilities.

She said I deserved Izal!
    She didn't revoke her acceptance of my proposal mind.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,924

I didn't know you were in the Matrix sequels

https://youtu.be/FNZJneLEsGM?si=9bpY9fwHnFISByFN
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,455
    Weren't we supposed to be getting an avalanche of stand downs this weekend? Has anyone since Leadsom?
    Todays family reactions to the Draft was fairly positive but 'not gonna happen is it?'
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I remember being I'm York and being so desperate for a shit that I knocked on a random house door and asking if I could use there toilet.

*Disinfectant-scented* greaseproof paper.
    Never been an effective toilet paper.
    I remember only too well. Especially if one had the runs. My school had it ...

PS Just to maintain the relevance to earlier discussion of national service - the Army compo rations given to us cadets in the 1970s also issued niggardly amounts of shiny toilet paper (unscented) in the tins with sweets and matches etc. As a friend said, one sheet up, one down, and one to polish. No fun at all in the rain in the hills.
    No wildfowl on the fell? A duck on the bluff? A swan on the muir?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,151
    edited May 26
    Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

PS Just to maintain the relevance to earlier discussion of national service - the Army compo rations given to us cadets in the 1970s also issued niggardly amounts of shiny toilet paper (unscented) in the tins with sweets and matches etc. As a friend said, one sheet up, one down, and one to polish. No fun at all in the rain in the hills.
    Hadn't got as far as Rabelais! And, in any case, feather lice and ticks ...

• Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,391
    Carnyx said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

megasaur said:

eristdoof said:

megasaur said:

EPG said:

If education can't even function with VAT, like any old retailer or professional services firm, then maybe it's a highly inefficient business that can't deliver value for money, and maybe the upper-middle class tax break pushed far too much resources into an inefficient sector.

It's not a business at all. And it's not recovering much in the way of inputs to match it's outputs like retailers do
    Private schools are businesses.
    They are not, on average. Nothing stopping them being, but the ones I went to and sent my children to (5 in all) were in all cases not for profit trusts. So unlike a business you can't hike profitability to deal with VAT shocks.
    Lots of businesses are not for profit. A charity shop's a business. If you charge service users a fee for your offer, you are a business.
    So, you favour charging VAT on charity shops then?
    They do have to pay VAT for goods they buy in. They pay no VAT for donated goods because those are treated like donations for the aims of the charity but are not subject to Gift Aid. In principle, I would have no problem with VAT on donated goods if Gift Aid were then permitted.
    Eh, Gift Aid *is* permitted on donated goods, the value being determined by the actual sale. However, this needs a recording system with sticky labels and numbers and all, so not all charities are organised enough for that.

PS Obviously this depends if the donor is a taxpayer with enough tax, and so on. I get a periodic return from one such charity for my records.
    As you say, for your typical charity shop donation of second-hand books or clothes, it will not be the case that gift aid is available. At present, the current system is a fairly low-cost substitute that is probably simpler overall to administer.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,651
    RobD said:

pigeon said:

MikeL said:

So Labour says no changes to IC and NI...so my guess would be new council tax bands, IHT threshold being cut, raid on pensions and capital gains cut to zero allowance / increase in tax rate, as a minimum to raise extra taxes.

I don't think they'll cut the IHT threshold. IHT isn't popular and the basic threshold has already been frozen at £325k for 15 years. I think they'll probably leave IHT completely as it is.

But I suspect they will:

- Bring CGT rates in line with IT rates - which is a big increase

- Dramatically cut back ISAs. Firstly reduce the £20k annual investment limit to about £5k. Maybe also put a cap on the total amount you can have invested in ISAs - say £100k or £200k. If they do that, the question is what happens to people with ISAs already above the cap? But whatever the detail, it'll be a dramatic reduction in the scope for investing completely outside of tax.
    Cutting the IHT threshold just means more people put their property in trust etc.

Cutting the ISA limits seems clever - it’s well known that excessive savings are the weak point of the British economy.
    It'd be a pretty rotten thing to do to people with modest savings if they tried. Would be a less bitter pill to swallow if the wealthy were also given a good whack though. We could really do with much heavier property taxes, but failing that the abolition of higher rate tax relief on pension contributions would raise a lot of money - somewhere in the ballpark of £15bn, That'd be sufficient to raise defence spending from 2.3% to 2.5% (£4bn), abolish the two child benefit cap (£2bn), double the rate of Carer's Allowance (£3.5bn), double subsidies for bus travel in England (£2.5bn, allowing for Barnett consequentials), and still leave £3bn to spend on other goodies.

The idea that there's no money left for anything is bollocks. The main hope for meaningful change post-election is that Labour will stick to its excessively meek and cautious plans for only so long as it takes to persuade the Tory core to switch sides or sit on their hands come July 4th - and then grab them by the ankles and give them a bloody good shake as soon as the election is out of the way.
    Don't forget reducing the deficit, paying down the debt. We pay £116bn a year just to service borrowing.
    I like the idea of a, "paying off Tory debt," tax. 0.5% annual charge on all property sort of thing.

But I understand that the Treasury doesn't like hypothecated taxes.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,420
    Labour park tanks on Tory lawns on day four:

Liz Kendall
    @leicesterliz
    ·
    2h
    A message to the pensioners of Britain from the Labour Party

https://x.com/leicesterliz/status/1794801009786834961
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,963
    edited May 26
    Fuck me, the policy gets worse, I mean the NHS is buggered.

Exclusive: Rishi Sunak is considering requiring future applicants for public sector jobs to have completed National Service

It’s one of the enforcement options that would go to the Royal Commission for consideration if he gets to enact the policy

https://x.com/alexwickham/status/1794837181657493854?s=46
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Hadn't got as far as Rabelais! And, in any case, feather lice and ticks ...

Handful of moss, then. The smooth gravel from an ox-bow lake. There's always a way.
  • Options

Fuck me, the policy gets worse.

Exclusive: Rishi Sunak is considering requiring future applicants for public sector jobs to have completed National Service

It’s one of the enforcement options that would go to the Royal Commission for consideration if he gets to enact the policy

So that's indirect age discrimination right there
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,559
    @alexwickham

• Options
    EPG said:

Carnyx said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

megasaur said:

eristdoof said:

megasaur said:

EPG said:

If education can't even function with VAT, like any old retailer or professional services firm, then maybe it's a highly inefficient business that can't deliver value for money, and maybe the upper-middle class tax break pushed far too much resources into an inefficient sector.

It's not a business at all. And it's not recovering much in the way of inputs to match it's outputs like retailers do
    They are not, on average. Nothing stopping them being, but the ones I went to and sent my children to (5 in all) were in all cases not for profit trusts. So unlike a business you can't hike profitability to deal with VAT shocks.
    Lots of businesses are not for profit. A charity shop's a business. If you charge service users a fee for your offer, you are a business.
    They do have to pay VAT for goods they buy in. They pay no VAT for donated goods because those are treated like donations for the aims of the charity but are not subject to Gift Aid. In principle, I would have no problem with VAT on donated goods if Gift Aid were then permitted.
    Eh, Gift Aid *is* permitted on donated goods, the value being determined by the actual sale. However, this needs a recording system with sticky labels and numbers and all, so not all charities are organised enough for that.

PS Obviously this depends if the donor is a taxpayer with enough tax, and so on. I get a periodic return from one such charity for my records.
    As you say, for your typical charity shop donation of second-hand books or clothes, it will not be the case that gift aid is available. At present, the current system is a fairly low-cost substitute that is probably simpler overall to administer.
    Actually, the charity in question does seal with that sort of thing, albeit with a little mroe organization. It gives me is a printout of sticky labels with "my" number on it - every time I drop off a bagof stuff I put one of the labels on it, and the volunteers prepare the price labels accordingly.

But for me it's as much about recycling unwanted goods as far as possible.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,088
    edited May 26

I joked down thread about Sunak proposing reintroducing corporal punishment....I am not sure it is pie in the sky.
  • Options
    @AllieHBNews

Monday’s GUARDIAN: “Sunak’s national service plan is ‘bonkers,’ says ex-military chief” #TomorrowsPapersToday
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,644
    edited May 26

Wouldn't it make more logical sense to require those with private sector jobs to complete national service?

I'm really not sure that brainstorming enforcement mechanisms is the angle they want to focus on here.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Fuck me, the policy gets worse.

So that's indirect age discrimination right there
    But all right for the Tories' chums in the private sector.

And what about anyone who wants to be an apprentice at 16 in the public sector?
  • Options
    edited May 26
    Scott_xP said:

@AllieHBNews

Monday’s GUARDIAN: “Sunak’s national service plan is ‘bonkers,’ says ex-military chief” #TomorrowsPapersToday

It is bonkers, but the ex-military chief is former Labour minister Lord West (which the Guardian forgets to mention).
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,380

I joked down thread about Sunak proposing reintroducing corporal punishment....I am not sure it is pie in the sky.
    About 10 minutes ago I joked about them making national service a requirement to vote... I'm not laughing now. This latest development makes me think they would, if they could.

The Conservative Party is beyond parody at this point.
  • Options
    megasaurmegasaur Posts: 586
    Carnyx said:

EPG said:

Carnyx said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

megasaur said:

eristdoof said:

megasaur said:

EPG said:

Actually, the charity in question does seal with that sort of thing, albeit with a little mroe organization. It gives me is a printout of sticky labels with "my" number on it - every time I drop off a bagof stuff I put one of the labels on it, and the volunteers prepare the price labels accordingly.

"Dead white man’s clothes
    It’s the dirty secret behind the world’s fashion addiction. Many of the clothes we donate to charity end up dumped in landfill, creating an environmental catastrophe on the other side of the world."

Troubling stuff

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-12/fast-fashion-turning-parts-ghana-into-toxic-landfill/100358702
  • Options
    The Telegraph has the splash that National Service would also include Royals

I wonder when Richi will notice that every Royal serves already...
  • Options
    megasaur said:

Carnyx said:

EPG said:

Carnyx said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

megasaur said:

eristdoof said:

megasaur said:

EPG said:

"Dead white man’s clothes
    It’s the dirty secret behind the world’s fashion addiction. Many of the clothes we donate to charity end up dumped in landfill, creating an environmental catastrophe on the other side of the world."

Troubling stuff

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-12/fast-fashion-turning-parts-ghana-into-toxic-landfill/100358702
    Undoubtedly. But frankly most of my clothes are so worn out they end up as fabric recycling or DIY work wipes..

Most of my donations are books and oddments.
  • Options
    edited May 26
    kyf_100 said:

About 10 minutes ago I joked about them making national service a requirement to vote... I'm not laughing now. This latest development makes me think they would, if they could.

I just can't work out what focus groups they have done that have said #1 priority not inflation, not cost of living, not interest rates, not crime, not immigration, not getting GP appointment, not NHS waiting lists....no its making kids do voluntary work....two days and counting worth of media.
  • Options
    edited May 26
    33% strategy. The Tories are running a William Hague strategy, get 33% or as close as possible and save as many as you can. It will be a red meat election. Strategically in a lost cause its sensible and with the fury over Farage deserting the good ship UK it could work with a Reform vote to target, and by 'work' I mean hold 200 seats.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Harking back to the 1940s when QEII-to-be was an ATS mechanic. Deliberately so.
  • Options

• Options

kyf_100 said:

I just can't work out what focus groups they have done that have said #1 priority not inflation, not cost of living, not interest rates, not crime, not immigration, not getting GP appointment, not NHS waiting lists....no its making kids do voluntary work.
    involuntary ...
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,096
    Foxy said:

To me instinctively, it feels like Labour have the most impressive social media campaign they've ever had.

That probably doesn't mean an awful lot - but the Tories were very good in 2019 so I find it odd they seem to have left the field. Cummings to his credit, understood this. Something they did very intelligently, was to run lots of ads for most of the campaign, check their response and then run the best ones in the last week.

I think the other parties had prepped for a May election as a precaution so had stuff ready to go.

I think this is further evidence that the Tory campaign is not ready, ant Sunak caught his own party on the hop.
    Our Lib Dem election leaflet was being delivered the evening of the 4th July announcement. We had it printed and bundled and ready to go.
  • Options
    edited May 26

33% strategy. The Tories are running a William Hague strategy, get 33% or as close as possible and save as many as you can. It will be a red meat election. Strategically in a lost cause its sensible and with the fury over Farage deserting the good ship UK it could work with a Refirm vote to target, and by 'work' I mean hold 200 seats.

I agree the theory is sound in focusing on core vote red meat to salvage as best they can.

But is this really what the Tory core vote was looking for? I know a lot of Tories, and to be fair I haven't had a chance to check in with most of them since the announcement in an organic way, but I struggle to think this is the sort of thing that would get their pulses racing.

Increased funding for the military, a deeper crackdown on benefit scroungers, more word on Rwanda, that's what I'd have expected.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

I just can't work out what focus groups they have done that have said #1 priority not inflation, not cost of living, not interest rates, not crime, not immigration, not getting GP appointment, not NHS waiting lists....no its making kids do voluntary work....two days and counting worth of media.
    They haven't. They are filling the void between call and manifesto with red meat.
  • Options
    edited May 26

33% strategy. The Tories are running a William Hague strategy, get 33% or as close as possible and save as many as you can. It will be a red meat election. Strategically in a lost cause its sensible and with the fury over Farage deserting the good ship UK it could work with a Reform vote to target, and by 'work' I mean hold 200 seats.

Surely then you go low tax, raise IHT threshold, tough on crime, much stronger rules on work visas....that's red meat to the core strategy.
  • Options
    Rishi Sunak is considering requiring future applicants for public sector jobs to have completed National Service

https://x.com/alexwickham/status/1794837181657493854
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,288
    carnforth said:

viewcode said:

Fight an election on protecting private schools and you will lose.

Nothing to do with arguments or morality it is simply a case of numbers.

I know that. But morality should play a part. I am no fan of private schools either in concept or execution but they are merely an expression of the urge of the wealthy to give their children the best education they can pay for, and for the life of me I don't feel the need to stop them. Wealth redistribution should be done via redistributive taxation, not thru actions like this.
    Remembered earlier about the Assisted Places Scheme, which New Labour also canned:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_Places_Scheme

Too many working class people getting ideas above their station, no doubt.
    Well it is the opposite of For the Many, Not the Few.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,986

Definite waste of your image for the day, and no dog for scale…
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,406
    edited May 26
    EPG said:

Carnyx said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

megasaur said:

eristdoof said:

megasaur said:

EPG said:

I think Carynx is wrong anyway. According to the Charity Tax Group, Gift Aid only applies to money. It does not apply to donated goods.

https://www.charitytaxgroup.org.uk/tax/donations/gift-aid/gift-aid-on-donated-goods/
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,078
    So you want to be a teacher? Sorry, you didn't join the army first so you aren't eligible.

COMING SOON: Voters need to have gone to Private School to get a vote
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Harking back to the 1940s when QEII-to-be was an ATS mechanic. Deliberately so.
    Harry was on the frontline in Afghanistan

Under Richi's scheme he would have had to join the Army for a year...

Oh, wait.
  • Options
    There is a Labour mole.

And he's the Prime Minister.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

33% strategy. The Tories are running a William Hague strategy, get 33% or as close as possible and save as many as you can. It will be a red meat election. Strategically in a lost cause its sensible and with the fury over Farage deserting the good ship UK it could work with a Refirm vote to target, and by 'work' I mean hold 200 seats.

I agree the theory is sound in focusing on core vote red meat to salvage as best they can.

But is this really what the Tory core vote was looking for? I know a lot of Tories, and to be fair I haven't had a chance to check in with most of them since the announcement in an organic way, but I struggle to think this is the sort of thing that would get their pulses racing.

Increased funding for the military, a deeper crackdown on benefit scroungers, more word on Rwanda, that's what I'd have expected.
    It's not an anathema to them i'd think. I assume this is targeted at Faragists, with the assumption it doesn't drive away core voters
  • Options
    edited May 26

There is a Labour mole.

Deep state...taps nose.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

It's a question they will now legitimately be asked. They'll say that's ridiculous.

But why would it be? If they are restricting jobs based on whether you've done national service why not other things?
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

Three rancid and bitter pensioners in their late 80s who well up every time they hear Vera Lynn.

• Options

Surely then you go low tax, raise IHT threshold, tough on crime, much stronger rules on work visas....that's red meat to the core strategy.
    Manifesto for the core, fill the void until it with Faragist friendly fun
  • Options

kle4 said:

It's not an anathema to them i'd think. I assume this is targeted at Faragists, with the assumption it doesn't drive away core voters
    Well I fear they may have missed the mark on that one. Staying at home was a real risk already, it may have increased.
  • Options
    Tories now saying that teenagers who agree to do a year of military service could get 'fast tracked interviews for grad schemes in private and public sectors' afterwards.

Sunak: "We want to make sure Britain's future generations can get the most out of national service."

https://x.com/HugoGye/status/1794836849124405431

They are literally making it up as they go along, aren't they?
  • Options
    edited May 26

Tories now saying that teenagers who agree to do a year of military service could get 'fast tracked interviews for grad schemes in private and public sectors' afterwards.

Sunak: "We want to make sure Britain's future generations can get the most out of national service."

Its also totally unconservative.
  • Options

EPG said:

Carnyx said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

megasaur said:

eristdoof said:

megasaur said:

EPG said:

I think Carynx is wrong anyway. According to the Charity Tax Group, Gift Aid only applies to money. It does not apply to donated goods.

https://www.charitytaxgroup.org.uk/tax/donations/gift-aid/gift-aid-on-donated-goods/
    Ah - I've got where we are at cross purposes. THis is what happens: "However, a charity can offer to act as an agent for supporters and sell goods on their behalf. If the supporter agrees to donate the sale proceeds, and signs a Gift Aid declaration, that donation can then qualify for Gift Aid, under the Retail Gift Aid scheme."

Another charity wanted to apply that to clearing a relative's house, but they left it too late - by the time it was happening, it was the executors rather than a beneficiary who were handing over the stuff so no GA to confer. Point is it does happen.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

It's a distraction from the exemption his kids will get as they will be living in California.

• Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 986
    Does being an MP count as public sector?
  • Options
    DM_Andy said:

I see the cunning plan there.
  • Options
    Can I refer you back to Peter Mannion MP?

"You Idiot, thats Fucking Mental"
  • Options

There is a Labour mole.

I mean, there are some people who think Martin McGuinness was a British agent, so it wouldn't be that outlandish.
  • Options

Can I refer you back to Peter Mannion MP?

"You Idiot, thats Fucking Mental"

Even Stuart Pearson is thinking this stuff is nuts.
  • Options
    edited May 26
    Carnyx said:

EPG said:

Carnyx said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

megasaur said:

eristdoof said:

megasaur said:

EPG said:

Ah - I've got where we are at cross purposes. THis is what happens: "However, a charity can offer to act as an agent for supporters and sell goods on their behalf. If the supporter agrees to donate the sale proceeds, and signs a Gift Aid declaration, that donation can then qualify for Gift Aid, under the Retail Gift Aid scheme."

Another charity wanted to apply that to clearing a relative's house, but they left it too late - by the time it was happening, it was the executors rather than a beneficiary who were handing over the stuff so no GA to confer. Point is it does happen.
    Yep. I was thinking more of the people just wandering in and donating books to Oxfam etc. Unless they are set up as a regular donation with the money signed over to the charity at the end of each fiancial year then gift aid cannot apply.

I assume that in theory gift aid could apply to Prvate School fees if they are charities. Is this something that is already done? If not it seems an obvious way to offset the VAT imposition.
  • Options
    DM_Andy said:

No. Self-employed.

Hence the way they behave in the workplace ... in all seriousness.
  • Options

I think that ship sailed a long time ago frankly.
  • Options
    Leaked documents suggest teens would be jailed for refusing National Service, despite senior Tories claiming otherwise

https://x.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1794842931406266625
  • Options
    edited May 26

Sunak was supposed to be a return to it. Instead he is making Truss look good.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,018
    edited May 26
    Foxy said:

AlsoLei said:

Pro_Rata said:

MJW said:

Scott_xP said:

For the Conservatives to lose to him... that means the public must really hate the Tories.

And they do. And a lot of it is utterly self-inflicted.

To return to Casino's school problem for a moment (sorry), if we accept the premise that the school is closing "because Labour are going to win", then the blame for that falls squarely on

BoZo
    Truss
    Richi

Casino should be focusing his righteous anger on those cretins for screwing the pooch so completely
    I think this is one you're struggling with as the reality of a Labour government comes into focus somewhere deep in the annals of your mind, so instead you're trying to fingerpoint to what you're comfortable fingerpointing toward instead.

The school operated on just a 2% gross margin last year. A 20% demand shock (everyone knows Labour is going to win) has led to a significant drop in the pupil roll for next year and that's been enough to put it into administration.

That wouldn't have happened were it not for Labour's VAT on private schools policy. It's killed it off.
    If it helps, I think the scenario you present is all too plausible. I'm sorry that it's happened, and for the parents, pupils and teachers affected.

The pushback you're getting on this is interesting.
    The pushback I'm getting is because absolutely no-one wants to hear anything negative about Keir Starmer and our prospective new Labour government.
    Isn't the pushback more about not seeing the bigger picture? I'm sure it's sad that this school has financial problems. But we're talking about a change to tax policy that affects a group of the most privileged people in the country, one that many other private schools and parents will negotiate, and which will allow more money to be spent on the education of the 93% of kids who don't have the privilege of private schooling.

It's always possible to pick sad stories of those on the wrong end of a policy. And it's not like Tories have given a jot about the misery they've inflicted on far less privileged people over the past 14 years. But I guess the kids Tory policies pushed into poverty deserved it, unlike Tarquin and Jocasta - who might now have to mix with the hoi polloi. For shame.
    Except, (a) it doesn't affect the most privileged in the country - that's just the rhetoric - because they won't be affected; it's hard-working professionals and the small independent schools that will be, (b), it will not allow more money to be spent on the education of the 93% and will actually cost the taxpayer, and, (c) your last point seems to be an eye for an eye, which isn't invalidates what little merit your first two points have.

None.
    People who can afford today’s private school fees are certainly at the top end of “hard-working professionals”. 7% of kids go to private schools and that’s very closely correlated with income, i.e. the top 7% earners.
    1 in 5 adults in the UK has attended a private school as a child (20%) and it's actually higher amongst younger age groups:

It's much more common than you think.
    I went to the source and not much background data on, for instance, the questions used to get these figures. But I'm going to call bullshit on the output number.
    It implies that most of those 18-24 year olds who attended private school at some point, did so for only one or two years each. Is that really likely? What would be driving that sort of behaviour?
    Example: My niece was sent to a wanky private school for a year before she started infant school. Presumably that would be included in the stats.
    Mrs Foxy went to private school for a year when she came from Africa, but hated it as all of the other kids were much posher and had ponies and such. She transferred to the local Comp and was much happier there.
    The discussion suggests the UK independent sector but I wonder:

- Given that, iirc, 15% of the UK population is foreign born and that is a percentage that will vary with age, might some element of private schooling involved institutions abroad where the balance of state and private provision might be different.
    - Given the source is a tutor organisation, might it include the sort of private hour a week top up tuition that is prevalent especially in grammar areas? (in which case my kids, at mainstream state schools throughout, would class as privately
    educated for around an hour a week for a year or two)

I think if 5.9% are in private education as their full time provision at any given time, and that that number has risen, it suggests to me that the commonly quoted 7% for the numbers that go to UK private schools full time weren't too far wide of the mark, but may be slightly out of date.
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 986

Carnyx said:

EPG said:

Carnyx said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

megasaur said:

eristdoof said:

megasaur said:

EPG said:

Yep. I was thinking more of the people just wandering in and donating books to Oxfam etc. Unless they are set up as a regular donation with the money signed over to the charity at the end of each fiancial year then gift aid cannot apply.

I assume that in theory gift aid could apply to Prvate School fees if they are charities. Is this something that is already done? If not it seems an obvious way to offset the VAT imposition.
    Isn't Gift Aid only on donations? If you go to a National Trust property and buy a keepsake from the shop the National Trust can't claim 25% on top of the sale price.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,097
    Sunak to Truss, “hold my pint”
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

At this rate, he will be banning pints too.
  • Options

They are a bit stuck with IHT. Already under heavy Labour fire for the totally unfunded destruction of the pension fund known as NI. If they now say IHT will be slashed then another massive hole.

I think they will do it anyway.

• Options

Leaked documents suggest teens would be jailed for refusing National Service, despite senior Tories claiming otherwise

Jailed? Where? The Tories can't even jail murderers and rapists and PPE fraudsters as the jails are full.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,232

Jonathan said:

He'll bring back £sd to help improve the standard of arithmetic.
  • Options
    DM_Andy said:

Carnyx said:

EPG said:

Carnyx said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

megasaur said:

eristdoof said:

megasaur said:

EPG said:

Isn't Gift Aid only on donations? If you go to a National Trust property and buy a keepsake from the shop the National Trust can't claim 25% on top of the sale price.
    Not sure. There are various places I have visited (zoo's etc) where I have paid entry fee and been asked to sign a gift aid form so they get the tax back on my entry fee.

To be honest I have never really looked closely at this area so don't know. It just seemed like a bit of a whizzer scheme if it were allowed. :)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,306

Source? This twitter account is notoriously bad.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Pints are fine. Proper Imperial units. Making petrol stations be required to sell fuel in gallons is a potential policy announcement though.
  • Options
    BatteryCorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorse Posts: 2,407
    edited May 26
    RobD said:

https://x.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1794844011796316338/photo/1
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,381
    kle4 said:

kyf_100 said:

It's a question they will now legitimately be asked. They'll say that's ridiculous.

But why would it be? If they are restricting jobs based on whether you've done national service why not other things?
    It's that "yes and ho" brainstorming scene played out on the front pages of the Conservative press.

On one level, I know it's a particularly silly game the Conservatives are playing, and I don't recall Brown in 2010 or Major in 1997 taking the piss quite so shamelessly.

But leaving aside the rights and wrongs, it's worth remembering that the public sector is famous for having a huge excess of applicants for jobs. The government really really doesn't hold the cards here.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

EPG said:

Carnyx said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

megasaur said:

eristdoof said:

megasaur said:

EPG said:

Quite so.

On the private schools, my impression from dealing with subs etc for learned and county societies and the like is that it's OK to pony up to support their activities with gift aid, and HMRC doesn't mind too much if you get the Proceedings of the Barsetshire Antiquarian and Natural History Society every year, but that's pretty much generalised and part of the normal doings for everyone. It'd be different if you paid them for a specific service like classifying your potsherd collection, etc.

You could likewise send a cheque to Borchester College for the warm feeling in your heart, and get GA, but not if you send your brat there.

IANAE, but I've noticed that there's a tendency to split the commercial/operating activities from the charitable organization in many museums and schools, too, which hints that this is a real issue.
  • Options

Jailed? Where? The Tories can't even jail murderers and rapists and PPE fraudsters as the jails are full.
    Tomorrow's announcement is young people will build their own prisons.
  • Options

Sorry Mrs Jones, we can't deal with the armed robbery on your shop as we are tied up right now trying to find your son as he missed his National Service induction. And aggravated the crime by saying some nasty things about Mr Sunak on Tiktok.
  • Options

They are a bit stuck with IHT. Already under heavy Labour fire for the totally unfunded destruction of the pension fund known as NI. If they now say IHT will be slashed then another massive hole.

I think they will do it anyway.

Almost certainly
  • Options

Sunak was supposed to be a return to it. Instead he is making Truss look good.
    She needs to up her game.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,295
    Scott_xP said:

No they don’t.

Top tip - if you want to assume a smart arse tone, try and make sure you actually know what you’re talking about.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,306

RobD said:

Thanks. I think they got into trouble during the last election for their scummy way of not attributing their stories.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,068
    Pro_Rata said:

Foxy said:

AlsoLei said:

Pro_Rata said:

MJW said:

Scott_xP said:

For the Conservatives to lose to him... that means the public must really hate the Tories.

To return to Casino's school problem for a moment (sorry), if we accept the premise that the school is closing "because Labour are going to win", then the blame for that falls squarely on

BoZo
    Truss
    Richi

Casino should be focusing his righteous anger on those cretins for screwing the pooch so completely
    I think this is one you're struggling with as the reality of a Labour government comes into focus somewhere deep in the annals of your mind, so instead you're trying to fingerpoint to what you're comfortable fingerpointing toward instead.

The school operated on just a 2% gross margin last year. A 20% demand shock (everyone knows Labour is going to win) has led to a significant drop in the pupil roll for next year and that's been enough to put it into administration.

That wouldn't have happened were it not for Labour's VAT on private schools policy. It's killed it off.
    If it helps, I think the scenario you present is all too plausible. I'm sorry that it's happened, and for the parents, pupils and teachers affected.

The pushback I'm getting is because absolutely no-one wants to hear anything negative about Keir Starmer and our prospective new Labour government.
    Isn't the pushback more about not seeing the bigger picture? I'm sure it's sad that this school has financial problems. But we're talking about a change to tax policy that affects a group of the most privileged people in the country, one that many other private schools and parents will negotiate, and which will allow more money to be spent on the education of the 93% of kids who don't have the privilege of private schooling.

It's always possible to pick sad stories of those on the wrong end of a policy. And it's not like Tories have given a jot about the misery they've inflicted on far less privileged people over the past 14 years. But I guess the kids Tory policies pushed into poverty deserved it, unlike Tarquin and Jocasta - who might now have to mix with the hoi polloi. For shame.
    Except, (a) it doesn't affect the most privileged in the country - that's just the rhetoric - because they won't be affected; it's hard-working professionals and the small independent schools that will be, (b), it will not allow more money to be spent on the education of the 93% and will actually cost the taxpayer, and, (c) your last point seems to be an eye for an eye, which isn't invalidates what little merit your first two points have.

None.
    People who can afford today’s private school fees are certainly at the top end of “hard-working professionals”. 7% of kids go to private schools and that’s very closely correlated with income, i.e. the top 7% earners.
    1 in 5 adults in the UK has attended a private school as a child (20%) and it's actually higher amongst younger age groups:

I went to the source and not much background data on, for instance, the questions used to get these figures. But I'm going to call bullshit on the output number.
    It implies that most of those 18-24 year olds who attended private school at some point, did so for only one or two years each. Is that really likely? What would be driving that sort of behaviour?
    Example: My niece was sent to a wanky private school for a year before she started infant school. Presumably that would be included in the stats.
    Mrs Foxy went to private school for a year when she came from Africa, but hated it as all of the other kids were much posher and had ponies and such. She transferred to the local Comp and was much happier there.

- Given that, iirc, 15% of the UK population is foreign born and that is a percentage that will vary with age, might some element of private schooling involved institutions abroad where the balance of state and private provision might be different.
    - Given the source is a tutor organisation, might it include the sort of private hour a week top up tuition that is prevalent especially in grammar areas? (in which case my kids, at mainstream state schools throughout, would class as privately

I think if 5.9% are in private education as their full time provision at any given time, and that that number has risen, it suggests to me that the commonly quoted 7% for the numbers that go to UK private schools full time weren't too far wide of the mark, but may be slightly out of date.
    Good point. Most of my Subcontinental and African colleagues were educated privately in their original countries. I am not sure how they would fit these stats.
  • Options
    @Tomorrow'sMPs
    @tomorrowsmps
    ·
    42m
    🔵 I reckon the Conservatives don't
    yet have candidates in 32 of the seats they currently hold (quite apart from the 150 or so other seats where they don't
    seem to have picked candidates yet either). Contrast that with Labour who now lack candidates in only 31 seats of all kinds
  • Options
    edited May 26
  • Options

That's fine. Use National Service Prison Guards to staff special prisons for National Service refuseniks... That doesn't work, does it.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DM_Andy said:

No. Self-employed.

Engage pedant mode. Pedant mode engaged.

They are “office holders”, not employees or self employed. It is its own thing with its own rules.

Your substantive point still stands.

• Options
    @ftukpolitics

Sunak doubles down on national service plan as Tory discontent mounts
  • Options
    @AllieHBNews

Monday’s Daily MAIL: “Rishi Fights Back After His National Service Plan Is Ridiculed” #TomorrowsPapersToday
  • Options

Why bother? It seems that under Sunak the country will be one big prison.
  • Options
    edited May 26
    Foxy said:

Pro_Rata said:

Foxy said:

AlsoLei said:

Pro_Rata said:

MJW said:

Scott_xP said:

BoZo
    Truss
    Richi

None.

Good point. Most of my Subcontinental and African colleagues were educated privately in their original countries. I am not sure how they would fit these stats.
    Very easily answered. The stat would be a big fat zero. Not allowed to apply to be your colleagues in the NHS without completed UK national service card, see.

Well, how else can it be interpreted?
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,120
    Scott_xP said:

@ftukpolitics

Sunak doubles down on national service plan as Tory discontent mounts

I'm guessing the answer to my previous question(s) of 'can you link to the tweet - otherwise this is worthless' is "no".
  • Options
    Foxy said:

We should aim to be a gated community.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Carnyx said:

DM_Andy said:

No. Self-employed.

They are “office holders”, not employees or self employed. It is its own thing with its own rules.

Thank you - quite right. Definitely needed correction. Or amendment.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,081

EPG said:

Carnyx said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

megasaur said:

eristdoof said:

megasaur said:

EPG said:

Is that right? I donate my old books and old clothes to Barnardo's. Every year I get a letter saying how much my donations have raised and how much Gift Aid the Government has chipped in.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Thanks. I think they got into trouble during the last election for their scummy way of not attributing their stories.
    ‘Failed to rule out’ doing the heavy lifting, I think. I’d like to say that I am failing to rule out divorcing my wife and eloping with Millie Gibson…
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,120
    Foxy said:

A private prison though. Full of entrepreneurial spirit! Imagine how many spiv's we could spawn! Their cheap, wet suits making Arthur Daley look posh!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Pro_Rata said:

Foxy said:

AlsoLei said:

Pro_Rata said:

MJW said:

Scott_xP said:

BoZo
    Truss
    Richi

None.

Very easily answered. The stat would be a big fat zero. Not allowed to apply to be your colleagues in the NHS without completed UK national service card, see.

Well, how else can it be interpreted?
    I was thinking of the 20% private education stat, but good point about whether international recruits would need to do National Service first.
  • Options
    The same ex military chief who is a Labour peer?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

biggles said:

Carnyx said:

DM_Andy said:

No. Self-employed.

Thank you - quite right. Definitely needed correction. Or amendment.
    It is an interesting point. Could we make them employees of the House of Commons to give them a taste of the actual standards the rest of us are held to? Don’t see why not? They need freedom to vote with their conscience but that’s all.

Would make things like the Boris discipline case easy, because you could just make lying to the House gross misconduct and the burden of proof would be that of an employment tribunal.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,812
    Foxy said:

Bit like the Covid lockdowns.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@AllieHBNews

Monday’s Daily MAIL: “Rishi Fights Back After His National Service Plan Is Ridiculed” #TomorrowsPapersToday

That is not good for Sunak.
  • Options

EPG said:

Carnyx said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

megasaur said:

eristdoof said:

megasaur said:

EPG said:

Is that right? I donate my old books and old clothes to Barnardo's. Every year I get a letter saying how much my donations have raised and how much Gift Aid the Government has chipped in.
    According to this,

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/gift-aid-what-donations-charities-and-cascs-can-claim-on

the loophole is that the shop sells the item on the donor's behalf, the donor of the copy of Gyles Brandreth's 'Breaking the Code' or whatever donates the cash to the charity and then the charity claims gift aid on that.

Seems like a rum way to run a country.

(See also the admission price/donation with free admission thrown in thing.)
This discussion has been closed.