Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Were you up for Sunak? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Nigelb said:

This is interesting.

UK government lawyers say Israel is breaking international law, claims top Tory in leaked recording

Ex-Foreign Office and Ministry of Defence official Alicia Kearns said at a Tory fundraiser that legal advice would mean the UK has to cease all arms sales to Israel without delay

The British government has received advice from its own lawyers stating that Israel has breached international humanitarian law in Gaza but has failed to make it public, according to a leaked recording obtained by the Observer.

The comments, made by the Conservative chair of the House of Commons select committee on foreign affairs, Alicia Kearns, at a Tory fundraising event on 13 March are at odds with repeated ministerial denials and evasion on the issue.

On Saturday night, Kearns, a former Foreign Office and Ministry of Defence official, who has repeatedly pressed ministers, including foreign secretary David Cameron, on the legal advice they have received, stood by her comments and called for the government to come clean.

“I remain convinced the government has completed its updated assessment on whether Israel is demonstrating a commitment to international humanitarian law, and that it has concluded that Israel is not demonstrating this commitment, which is the legal determination it has to make,” she said. “Transparency at this point is paramount, not least to uphold the international rules-based order.”

The revelation will place Lord Cameron and prime minister Rishi Sunak under intense pressure because any such legal advice would mean the UK had to cease all arms sales to Israel without delay.

Legal experts said that not to do so would risk putting the UK in breach of international law itself, as it would be seen as aiding and abetting war crimes by a country it was exporting arms to.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/30/uk-government-lawyers-say-israel-is-breaking-international-law-claims-top-tory-in-leaked-recording

The ICJ ruling this week says something similar.
    https://www.timesofisrael.com/icj-orders-israel-to-increase-humanitarian-aid-to-gaza-demands-report-in-30-days/
    Who actually cares about icj rulings...serious question...they can't enforce there rulings unless they can persuade a lot of countries to invade...they are more toothless than a duck. A complete and utter waste of time with highly paid people passing judgements that will never be prosecuted....abolish them or at least we should not contribute to the idiocy
    I don’t think we’d enjoy a world free of international law.
    It’s a long time since the UK was hegemonic.
    I don't think it would make any difference whatsoever.

International law is about as meaningful as the pirate code.

Nations have always, and always will, treated it more like guidelines than actual rules.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,993
    DavidL said:

ohnotnow said:

Nigelb said:
    I've always quite fancied one of these :

Statistically that has to be right. Absolutely no one is that near so many murders without being the cause. The way she was able to offload responsibility was, however, impressive.
    Almost as cunning as Miss Marple.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,714

Thanks to all for the schooling on how MRP works. It still has some *interesting* seat predictions...

Have a read of this.

https://www.survation.com/what-is-mrp/
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,727
    DavidL said:

ohnotnow said:

Nigelb said:

Statistically that has to be right. Absolutely no one is that near so many murders without being the cause. The way she was able to offload responsibility was, however, impressive.
    Aided & abetted by criminally incompetent (also visa-versa) Cabot Cove constabulary AND her quack quasi-paramour.
  • Options

Thanks to all for the schooling on how MRP works. It still has some *interesting* seat predictions...

Have a read of this.

https://www.survation.com/what-is-mrp/
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,958

TimS said:

Lx

TimS said:

MRPs are just Labour propaganda to undermine the Lib Dems in target seats.

Discuss.

That is questioning the integrity of BPC pollsters.

MRPs might be crap but they are produced honestly.
    Just to be clear, I’m not actually suggesting the pollsters are deliberately trying to undermine the Lib Dems in target seats.

That’s just the unfortunate result of their methodology.
    Ben Lauderdale who was the brains behind the original YouGov MRP said MRPs only become relevant/accurate in the three months before the election, prior to that they are noise.
    Noise that is eagerly picked up by Labour campaigners, as Nick Palmer demonstrates.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,502
    edited March 30

DavidL said:

ohnotnow said:

Nigelb said:

Aided & abetted by criminally incompetent (also visa-versa) Cabot Cove constabulary AND her quack quasi-paramour.
    Tom Bosley was the greatest police chief in America.
    Should have done a crossover in Midsomer. Feckin corpses everywhere. And that's just John Nettles acting
  • Options

TimS said:

Lx

TimS said:

Discuss.

Just to be clear, I’m not actually suggesting the pollsters are deliberately trying to undermine the Lib Dems in target seats.

Ben Lauderdale who was the brains behind the original YouGov MRP said MRPs only become relevant/accurate in the three months before the election, prior to that they are noise.
    Just like all polls.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,674

TimS said:

Lx

TimS said:

Discuss.

Ooh. any particular reasons why?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,717
    DavidL said:

ohnotnow said:

Nigelb said:

I've never understood why the house prices in Midsomer and St Marie are still so high.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,996
    HYUFD said:

As the poll shows however, if Sunak can squeeze the Reform vote he will increase the number of Tory seats won by at least 50%. So that is key.

In Scotland it still has the SNP down 7 on 2019 but I expect that to be lower with Unionist tactical voting, especially for Labour

Is it key? 150 versus 100 seats, it's not going to make much difference in the long run. I guess maybe there's a future leader in those extra 50 seats.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,090
    …..
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,883
    kjh said:

DavidL said:

ohnotnow said:

Nigelb said:

I've never understood why the house prices in Midsomer and St Marie are still so high.
    People pay a premium to get on tv
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,135
    isam said:

The quote tweets are something else!

Not a good idea in my opinion. First thing that comes to mind is kids will be bullied at school over this

🚨 NEW: The Tories are planning a league table for migrant crime

[@Telegraph]

https://x.com/politlcsuk/status/1773842969176469547?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

This was discussed a little earlier today, and it does rather make you wonder what the Government intends to do with the information (apart from courier it to the gutter press so that they can organise a hate campaign against whichever nationalities make the top end of the list.)
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,815
    Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

Elon Musk calls for peace in ukraine tonight.

It was a tragic waste of life for Ukraine to attack a larger army that had defense in depth, minefields and stronger artillery when Ukraine lacked armor or air superiority! Any fool could have predicted that.

My recommendation a year ago was for Ukraine to entrench and apply all resources to defense. Even then, it is tough to hold land that doesn’t have strong natural barriers.

There is no chance of Russia taking all of Ukraine, as the local resistance would be extreme in the west, but Russia will certainly gain more land than they have today.

The longer the war goes on, the more territory Russia will gain until they hit the Dnepr, which is tough to overcome. However, if the war lasts long enough, Odessa will fall too.

Whether Ukraine loses all access to the Black Sea or not is, in my view, the real remaining question. I recommend a negotiated settlement before that happens.
    6:35 PM · Mar 30, 2024
    ·
    View
    https://x.com/elonmusk/status/1774143429720596865?s=20

Elon’s been pushing Putin propaganda (whether out of ignorance of malice) for a while now.
    About the only thing you and he have in common.
    Maybe hes more rational than you, not difficult by the way.
    I think I've found a picture of you

• Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803
    Trent said:

It was a tragic waste of life for Ukraine to attack a larger army that had defense in depth, minefields and stronger artillery when Ukraine lacked armor or air superiority! Any fool could have predicted that.

My recommendation a year ago was for Ukraine to entrench and apply all resources to defense. Even then, it is tough to hold land that doesn’t have strong natural barriers.

There is no chance of Russia taking all of Ukraine, as the local resistance would be extreme in the west, but Russia will certainly gain more land than they have today.

The longer the war goes on, the more territory Russia will gain until they hit the Dnepr, which is tough to overcome. However, if the war lasts long enough, Odessa will fall too.

Whether Ukraine loses all access to the Black Sea or not is, in my view, the real remaining question. I recommend a negotiated settlement before that happens.
    ·
    View

I don't think that Musk is a natural at military strategy. He probably just wants the war to end like everyone does but doesn't come across well simplifying the situation like this. Lots of predictions about Ukraine have been revealed to be wrong.
  • Options
    TrentTrent Posts: 150
    kjh said:

Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

·
    View

Elon’s been pushing Putin propaganda (whether out of ignorance of malice) for a while now.

@Trent on the last thread you made an outrageous post which I responded to, but the thread ended so I repeat it here because I was gobsmacked by it:

You said 'The last years of peoples lives especially in dementia care homes can be utterly miserable. And we have to ask can we afford it.'

You said that without any solution. I asked if we decide we can't afford it what do you propose? We can't just exterminate people because of cost. That is an appalling suggestion.

People sign a document which states if they get dementia and it progresses past a certain point its fine for their life to be voluntarily brought to an end.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,540
    kjh said:

DavidL said:

ohnotnow said:

Nigelb said:

Oxford is the same. Incredible murder rate. Basically at least one a week, often more.
  • Options

This is interesting.

UK government lawyers say Israel is breaking international law, claims top Tory in leaked recording

Ex-Foreign Office and Ministry of Defence official Alicia Kearns said at a Tory fundraiser that legal advice would mean the UK has to cease all arms sales to Israel without delay

The British government has received advice from its own lawyers stating that Israel has breached international humanitarian law in Gaza but has failed to make it public, according to a leaked recording obtained by the Observer.

The comments, made by the Conservative chair of the House of Commons select committee on foreign affairs, Alicia Kearns, at a Tory fundraising event on 13 March are at odds with repeated ministerial denials and evasion on the issue.

On Saturday night, Kearns, a former Foreign Office and Ministry of Defence official, who has repeatedly pressed ministers, including foreign secretary David Cameron, on the legal advice they have received, stood by her comments and called for the government to come clean.

“I remain convinced the government has completed its updated assessment on whether Israel is demonstrating a commitment to international humanitarian law, and that it has concluded that Israel is not demonstrating this commitment, which is the legal determination it has to make,” she said. “Transparency at this point is paramount, not least to uphold the international rules-based order.”

The revelation will place Lord Cameron and prime minister Rishi Sunak under intense pressure because any such legal advice would mean the UK had to cease all arms sales to Israel without delay.

Legal experts said that not to do so would risk putting the UK in breach of international law itself, as it would be seen as aiding and abetting war crimes by a country it was exporting arms to.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/30/uk-government-lawyers-say-israel-is-breaking-international-law-claims-top-tory-in-leaked-recording

It's nonsense like this which is why Israel is being so restrained and fighting this war with kid gloves and one hand tied behind its back.

They should be far more aggressive than they are. They should have gone into Rafah ages ago.

But I respect the way they're trying to minimise civilian casualties. Unlike Hamas who aim to maximise them. And Egypt and the rest of the world kettling Palestinians into the war zone with no escape or safe haven for refugees outside it, as would be granted in any other conflict.
    Where do you swallow this propaganda, Bart? How is mass starvation minimising civilian casualties?
  • Options
    pigeon said:

isam said:

The quote tweets are something else!

Not a good idea in my opinion. First thing that comes to mind is kids will be bullied at school over this

🚨 NEW: The Tories are planning a league table for migrant crime

[@Telegraph]

https://x.com/politlcsuk/status/1773842969176469547?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

This was discussed a little earlier today, and it does rather make you wonder what the Government intends to do with the information (apart from courier it to the gutter press so that they can organise a hate campaign against whichever nationalities make the top end of the list.)
    I discussed it with a friend, it just reinforces my view that Rishi & co treat 2019 Tories/Leave voters as some kind of caricature, as if we are all Alf Garnett because we wanted immigration controls.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,585
    What would Sunak care if Richmond falls? He's no doubt got the job opps already lined up.
  • Options

TimS said:

Lx

TimS said:

Discuss.

Ooh. any particular reasons why?
    People become more focussed the closer to the election, right now they are responding on what they think about the government.
  • Options
    edited March 30
    Pagan2 said:

ajb said:

The big question for me is, why are the LibDems doing so badly? I want to see the Tories lose, but I would rather see the Libdems become the official opposition than see Labour with a 300 seat majority. Or even a 200 seat majority! I mean, most of the electorate now know in their gut that to vote Tory is to vote for a greater chance of dying of untreated cancer, but the Lib dems are still losing to them. If they aren't going to overtake them now, they will never do it - they might as well shut up shop.

Because the lib dems are neither liberal nor democratic and compulsive liars. No one wants to vote for a party like that. I would vote count binface rather than vote lib dem as would most
    I know this is unfair of me because I backed off a long discussion on this before because of time but:

There are numerous LD posters here including myself and I know you don't think I am not liberal or undemocratic or a compulsive liar from our past discussions and I'm sure you don't think that of the other LD posters here who all come over as extremely reasonable (he says being unbiased :wink: )

So do you think we are all deluded to be taken in by illiberal, undemocratic liars?
  • Options
    This is very worrying for ukraine.

80% of DTEK's energy capacity damaged, destroyed after Russian March attacks.

In March, Russian attacks damaged or completely destroyed 80% of the thermal generating capacity of Ukraine's largest private energy company, DTEK, the company's executive director said on March 30.
    5:31 PM · Mar 30, 2024
    ·
    Views

https://x.com/KyivIndependent/status/1774127344774480326?s=20

This links in to what Musk said today.

• Options
    Trent said:

In March, Russian attacks damaged or completely destroyed 80% of the thermal generating capacity of Ukraine's largest private energy company, DTEK, the company's executive director said on March 30.
    ·
    Views

Do you condemn Putin for these crimes against humanity?
  • Options

Trent said:

This is interesting.

It's nonsense like this which is why Israel is being so restrained and fighting this war with kid gloves and one hand tied behind its back.

They should be far more aggressive than they are. They should have gone into Rafah ages ago.

But I respect the way they're trying to minimise civilian casualties. Unlike Hamas who aim to maximise them. And Egypt and the rest of the world kettling Palestinians into the war zone with no escape or safe haven for refugees outside it, as would be granted in any other conflict.
    Its posts like this that let us know who you are and it aint pretty.
    I know Moscow supports Hamas, you don't need to tell us.

Israel is fighting an existential war for its survival, it's entitled to proportionately seek to destroy Hamas and its doing so.

Some people here object to the very notion of seeking to destroy Hamas and don't want Israel to win this war.
    How is Israel fighting an "existential war for its survival"? Hamas clearly has no ability whatsoever to destroy Israel.

Israel is fighting an asymmetric war against an enemy that killed many Israelis in a sneak attack. Hamas's actions were horrendous, a war crime, but exaggerating the threat posed just makes you look silly. The IDF have walked over Gaza without any difficulty.
  • Options
    ajbajb Posts: 124
    pigeon said:

ajb said:

The big question for me is, why are the LibDems doing so badly? I want to see the Tories lose, but I would rather see the Libdems become the official opposition than see Labour with a 300 seat majority. Or even a 200 seat majority! I mean, most of the electorate now know in their gut that to vote Tory is to vote for a greater chance of dying of untreated cancer, but the Lib dems are still losing to them. If they aren't going to overtake them now, they will never do it - they might as well shut up shop.

Minor party squeeze, which applies to everyone except Con, Lab & SNP. Besides which, they have almost no identifiable platform in the public imagination.
    Okay, but doesn't minor party squeeze happen every General Election? They've definitely had more seats than this projection despite it. Is there a reason why it would be worse this time?

Not having a platform is definitely a thing though, I agree. An LD activist I know (who'd been a candidate, so pretty committed) has backed off because he says he doesn't know what the party is for any more.
  • Options
    Tories should try and resurrect their half arsed partnership with the UUP, they might find South Antrim is not only their only gain but the only seat.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,704
    Trent said:

kjh said:

Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

·
    View

@Trent on the last thread you made an outrageous post which I responded to, but the thread ended so I repeat it here because I was gobsmacked by it:

You said 'The last years of peoples lives especially in dementia care homes can be utterly miserable. And we have to ask can we afford it.'

You said that without any solution. I asked if we decide we can't afford it what do you propose? We can't just exterminate people because of cost. That is an appalling suggestion.

People sign a document which states if they get dementia and it progresses past a certain point its fine for their life to be voluntarily brought to an end.
    One of the difficulties of assisted dying (which I support) is that there is a strong trend for the position that whatever advice and drugs etc are provided, the person themselves must be the one who takes the fatal dose for themselves. This would exclude many cases.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,561
    Trent said:

·
    Views

What's your view on the BA pilots story?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,540
    Very very poor first half by Man U. Very fortunate to be level at half time. Liverpool seems a long time ago already.
  • Options
    Perhaps it's overlooked the Vicar's notice, but it's MRS Zelensky, the First Lady of UKR, who is Orthodox and NOT her hubby.

Which explains methinks why their kids were baptized . . . but the President is NOT?

John 11:35
  • Options
    …..
  • Options

Trent said:

·
    Views

All decent people do but it doesnt negate the point Elon Musk made today.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Pagan2 said:

ajb said:

Because the lib dems are neither liberal nor democratic and compulsive liars. No one wants to vote for a party like that. I would vote count binface rather than vote lib dem as would most
    I know this is unfair of me because I backed off a long discussion on this before because of time but:

There are numerous LD posters here including myself and I know you don't think I am not liberal nor undemocratic nor a compulsive liar from our past discussions and I'm sure you don't think that of the other LD posters here who all come over as extremely reasonable (he says being unbiased :wink: )

So do you think we are all deluded to be taken in by illiberal, undemocratic liars?
    I lived in slough for a long while, used to get ld leaflets through the door for elections, also had good friends in maidenhead they used to get ld leaflets too.....reading both sets you wouldn't believe they were from the same party because they were so often contradictory.

I believe most ld supporters here are sincere....I just don't think the party you support is sincere. I suspect 2/3 of ld votes in any election are mere protests and if you just had believers voting for you then you would come behind the greens.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928
    HYUFD said:

As the poll shows however, if Sunak can squeeze the Reform vote he will increase the number of Tory seats won by at least 50%. So that is key.

In Scotland it still has the SNP down 7 on 2019 but I expect that to be lower with Unionist tactical voting, especially for Labour

In what sense is the Tories winning 150 seats instead of 98 'key'?
  • Options
    Trent said:

Trent said:

·
    Views

Are you a decent person?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,187
    Maybe a coalition between the Tories and Reform under Boris's leadership would turn things round. Even so, how to get there from here?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

It’s Easter tomorrow and we seem to be on the timeline where Donald Trump is selling signed Bibles and the Moscow Patriarch is calling us Satanists and the two of them are part of a larger effort to abuse Christianity to bring about violent oligarchical fascism.
    https://twitter.com/TimothyDSnyder/status/1774160648462557261

Zelensky is Eastern Orthodox and Biden Roman Catholic, both Christians too
    As SSI has pointed out, Zelensky is Jewish.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,459
    edited March 30
    Trent said:

kjh said:

Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

·
    View

What is that point - who decides - frankly you are very unpleasant and clearly verging on supporting euthanasia for dementia
  • Options

Perhaps it's overlooked the Vicar's notice, but it's MRS Zelensky, the First Lady of UKR, who is Orthodox and NOT her hubby.

Which explains methinks why their kids were baptized . . . but the President is NOT?

He is Jewish.
  • Options
    edited March 30
    Trent said:

kjh said:

Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

·
    View

That is not what you said. You said: 'And WE have to ask can WE afford it'.

That is not the same as someone voluntarily agreeing to have their life terminated. You said 'WE' that is you and me and others deciding to end another person's life. That is unacceptable and an outrageous suggestion. That is, as it stands until you get your way, murder.
  • Options

Trent said:

kjh said:

Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

·
    View

What is that point - who decides - frankly you are very unpleasant and clearly verging on supporting euthanasia for dementia
    Have you seen the misery in dementia care homes. I have.
  • Options
    kjh said:

DavidL said:

ohnotnow said:

Nigelb said:

Personally speaking, Midsomer Murders (broadcast in US by PBS and now by one El Cheapo TV re-run channel) has taught me a LOT about typical English life.

For example, that you are all a pack of sex-crazed homicidal super-loonies.
  • Options
    Vorderman has found the poll and is gushing over it because MRP is 'the most accurate form of polling'.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,815
    Trent said:

Trent said:

kjh said:

Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

·
    View

Do you think this guy have dementia?

• Options

Trent said:

Trent said:

·
    Views

Are you a decent person?
    Im too humble to praise myself. If others want to praise me though thats fine by me. My actions are always motivated by morality though.
  • Options
    Trent said:

Trent said:

kjh said:

Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

·
    View

Of course I have and frankly your views disgust me
  • Options

This is interesting.

As a matter of interest who are Israel's main arms suppliers ?
    USA and I think Germany.
    Same as Ukraine if that’s the case.
    https://theconversation.com/where-do-israel-and-hamas-get-their-weapons-220762

68% from US, 28% from Germany, which leaves 4% from everyone else.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,958

Trent said:

Trent said:

·
    Views

Are you a decent person?
    He’s very concerned. Very “concerned” indeed.

Musk is right that Ukraine is fighting with one hand tied behind its back. That’s as far as his rightness goes. Let’s untie that hand.

• Options

Trent said:

kjh said:

Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

·
    View

Dementia destroys lives not only of those with dementia but also the people around them however is something to bear in mind. My father has dementia, he is driving his girlfriend to an early grave she has now been described anti depressants. I have had official warnings from work because he does stupid shit and I need to take immediate time off by telling my boss sorry I need to go because he did something stupid.

How many people can he take down with him before those around him say enough? Or should we just drop contact and refuse responsibility when he is already an unrecogisable shell of himself?
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,156

Aren't MRPs fun? My highlight on this one is Hazel Grove. I can see the Cons losing it - but to Lab? I doubt it. The method is very harsh on third parties. So the Greens and Scot Cons lose all of their seats. The Lib Dems win 22 but Lab come from nowhere to win South Cambridgeshire. The massively expanded Montomeryshire and Glyndwr going Lab is almost pedestrian concerned to that.

Meanwhile, a big Survation poll had Lab 19% ahead and Reform UK on 8%. Cons plus Reform are on 34.7% - still more than 10% behind Lab.

In these circumstances why on earth would the blessed Nigel call off the dogs. He needs the Cons to know just how much they need him and a result anywhere within a hundred miles of this will do that in spades!

The thing in is - in the actual election there will be some such surprises, I'm sure. Just not necessarily these ones.
  • Options

Trent said:

Trent said:

kjh said:

Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

·
    View

Well its a free country we are allowed to disagree. I regard my views as moral so your criticism doesnt concern me.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,022
    DavidL said:

kjh said:

DavidL said:

ohnotnow said:

Nigelb said:

Oxford is the same. Incredible murder rate. Basically at least one a week, often more.
    It’s back to normal, since Morse left town. And yes, I’ve heard that St Mary Mead used to be twinned with Bogotá.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Trent said:

·
    View

I don't think that Musk is a natural at military strategy. He probably just wants the war to end like everyone does but doesn't come across well simplifying the situation like this. Lots of predictions about Ukraine have been revealed to be wrong.
    All Elon Musk wants is more money. Obtained by exploiting nexus between tech & govt.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,187

This is interesting.

USA and I think Germany.

I thinks those are percentages of their imports. They have substantial domestic supplies. Your source says "Israel has gone from being a net weapons importer to the world’s 10th-largest arms exporter."

• Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469
    HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

We must be approaching the time when people swallow their pride & admit that getting rid of Boris was a horrendous, possibly fatal, mistake by the Tories now.

Yes, removing Boris has cost 150 Tory MPs on this poll, even if Rishi squeezes Reform it will still have cost 100 Tory MPs their seats.

Had Truss remained it would have cost 200 Tory MPs their seats. Had Conservative members had a choice to keep Boris in 2022 or not they would have kept him. Tory MPs by removing him may ultimately have got a more competent PM in Sunak but it has cost far more of them their seats given even when he resigned polls had the Conservatives on 250+ seats with Boris.

In Opposition therefore expect the membership to back a Boris loyalist and rightwinger as Leader of the Opposition and next Conservative Leader
    Watching Ch4s ‘The Rise & Fall of Boris Johnson’ it seems unlikely to be that he’s given up on being leader/PM again.

Indeed, if Trump makes his comeback after defeat in 2020 and comes back to win in November and beat Biden in a rematch, I suspect Boris will try and make a comeback in Opposition. By then Sunak and Hunt, his main enemies in the party and former leadership rivals, will have likely led the party to crushing defeat and left the scene along with Cameron. Starmer will then have to deal with the economy, cost of living and the unions as PM. Boris' hero Churchill of course made a comeback in 1951 after defeat in 1945
    He may, but in the meantime someone else will have become party leader. If he/she fails to make progress it is quite easy to imagine Boris coming back into contention after a triumphant result in a by election. Stranger things...
  • Options
    edited March 30

Trent said:

Trent said:

kjh said:

Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

·
    View

MAID in Canada ought to put everyone off this ghoulish idea
  • Options
    edited March 30
    Trent said:

Trent said:

kjh said:

Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

·
    View

Yep my mum died of it in a care home. It wasn't pleasant. However that is no excuse for legalising murder because as you said 'We have to ask can we afford it'

'We have to ask can we afford it' Outrageous statement.

Can we afford prisons, the disabled, the old on pensions, people critically ill, etc, etc. Why not put them down as well because they are expensive.

Where would you like to draw the line. This is calling out for the use of Godwin's law. In mean literally this is Nazi stuff.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,811
    kjh said:

Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

·
    View

“We can't just exterminate people because of cost. That is an appalling suggestion.”

By ending such Ballast Existences, we can save the country x hundred grams of animals fats*, y amount of money, z amount of work force effort. That can be repurposed to The National Goal of a bigger living room in The East

*they were always banging on about amounts of animals fats in their documents. Makes a dog of lard seem sinister, really.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,264
    eek said:

isam said:

We must be approaching the time when people swallow their pride & admit that getting rid of Boris was a horrendous, possibly fatal, mistake by the Tories now.

Nope - it was the election of Bozo that was the horrendous, fatal, mistake that will destroy the Tories.

I said as much 4 years ago..
    When I talk to my family about politics, it's Truss that comes up again and again. Boris rarely gets a mention these days.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,022
    Trent said:

Trent said:

kjh said:

Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

·
    View

I think the ones in the UK are actually rather more humanely run than the ones in Moscow.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

This is interesting.

USA and I think Germany.

I thinks those are percentages of their imports. They have substantial domestic supplies. Your source says "Israel has gone from being a net weapons importer to the world’s 10th-largest arms exporter."

Yes, those are percentages of imports. They make plenty locally.
  • Options
    Joe Biden
    @JoeBiden
    ·
    55m
    Donald, my offer to play golf still stands.

I’ll let you take three strokes off your game if you carry your own bag.

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1774168075631210841
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Trent said:

kjh said:

Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

·
    View

Dementia destroys lives not only of those with dementia but also the people around them however is something to bear in mind. My father has dementia, he is driving his girlfriend to an early grave she has now been described anti depressants. I have had official warnings from work because he does stupid shit and I need to take immediate time off by telling my boss sorry I need to go because he did something stupid.

How many people can he take down with him before those around him say enough? Or should we just drop contact and refuse responsibility when he is already an unrecogisable shell of himself?
    My father in law died with dementia here in our home after months of distress for my wife and children and he passed way with his family around him as we held his hand

Additionally both my son in laws parents suffered dementia in homes for 4 years before both passing last year

There is no easy answer but euthanasia is not one of them
  • Options

This is interesting.

Where do you swallow this propaganda, Bart? How is mass starvation minimising civilian casualties?
    I don't endorse mass starvation and I don't believe Israel is responsible for it.

Hamas are the ones attacking aid convoys, not Israel.

Of course my preference would be for innocent Palestinians not be kettled into a war zone in part as getting aid into a war zone is very difficult.

Unfortunately while civilians in almost every other war are able to flee to safe ground outside the war zone, that right is being denied to Palestinians. For shame.

But it's not Israel denying them that right either.
  • Options
    Trent said:

Trent said:

Trent said:

kjh said:

Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

·
    View

Well its a free country we are allowed to disagree. I regard my views as moral so your criticism doesnt concern me.
    Moral? Moral? You want to exterminate people because of the cost. They were your words.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,228

There are suggestions he converted to Christianity years ago.

'However, Boleslav Kapulkin, the spokesman for Chabad Lubavitch in Odessa, said that he is under the impression that Zelensky converted to Christianity.

“I don’t know for sure if he converted, but I heard that he mentioned that he is the godfather of his friends’ children, or that they are the godparents of his children, something like that,” Kapulkin said.

Indeed, five years ago, numerous Ukrainian news outlets reported that Zelensky christened his son Kirill in one of the oldest churches in the Ukrainian capital. As gifts, the baby received a Christian Bible and a cross on a chain.'

https://www.timesofisrael.com/is-ukraines-top-presidential-candidate-jewish-even-his-spokesman-wont-comment/
  • Options
    Pissed me off when the Vicar was smirking here on PB, that the Ukrainians had zero chance against Putin, and should just surrender (or words to that effect).

Still pisses me off.

Now pissing me off that the Vicar is spouting his typical horseshit about President Zelenskyy's personal religious beliefs.

HAVE YOU NO SHAME?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928
    edited March 30
    Pagan2 said:

Trent said:

kjh said:

Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

·
    View

Sympathies for your difficult situation Pagan.

I appreciate this was not the thrust of your post but just to say I think your employer (assuming you are employed and not a self-employed contractor) may be on dodgy ground if they are giving you official warnings when you suddenly have to take time off work to care for your father or deal with the effects of his condition. You might want to politely point out your rights.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/time-off-work/time-off-work-overview/
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Trent said:

kjh said:

Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

·
    View

My father in law died with dementia here in our home after months of distress for my wife and children and he passed way with his family around him as we held his hand

Additionally both my son in laws parents suffered dementia in homes for 4 years before both passing last year

So what do you suggest we do, he is killing her via stress and her doctors have told her she needs to avoid it but she cant if she stays with him. His demands are putting my job on the line and if I get fired not going to be easy to find another as I am approaching 60. He is no longer rational, doesnt remember what he had for lunch 10 minutes after he ate it. He barely remembers us.

Should we abandon him to institutional care and just forget about him because he is only going to get worse.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Trent said:

kjh said:

Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

·
    View

Oh I agree with all of that. My mum's dementia was awful, particularly the angry stage where she was still ok but seeing non-existent people and the confusion made her very angry.

However @Trent's motivation for killing these people was cost. Quote 'We have to ask can we afford it'. How does that differ from Hitler or Pol Pot?
  • Options

Pissed me off when the Vicar was smirking here on PB, that the Ukrainians had zero chance against Putin, and should just surrender (or words to that effect).

Still pisses me off.

Now pissing me off that the Vicar is spouting his typical horseshit about President Zelenskyy's personal religious beliefs.

HAVE YOU NO SHAME?

I never once said that, I said that as Ukraine was a non NATO member and we shouldn't send ground troops into Ukraine to fight Putin, only aid
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

'However, Boleslav Kapulkin, the spokesman for Chabad Lubavitch in Odessa, said that he is under the impression that Zelensky converted to Christianity.

“I don’t know for sure if he converted, but I heard that he mentioned that he is the godfather of his friends’ children, or that they are the godparents of his children, something like that,” Kapulkin said.

Indeed, five years ago, numerous Ukrainian news outlets reported that Zelensky christened his son Kirill in one of the oldest churches in the Ukrainian capital. As gifts, the baby received a Christian Bible and a cross on a chain.'

https://www.timesofisrael.com/is-ukraines-top-presidential-candidate-jewish-even-his-spokesman-wont-comment/
    I guess you've no experience of raising children when the parents are of different faiths.

Spoiler alert: It's complicated, technically my kids are Catholics thanks to their mother but guess what they follow a halal diet.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Still pisses me off.

HAVE YOU NO SHAME?

I never once said that, I said that as Ukraine was a non NATO member and we shouldn't send ground troops into Ukraine to fight Putin, only aid
    You are twisting your words yet again. As per usual.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Pagan2 said:

Trent said:

kjh said:

Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

·
    View

Oh I agree with all of that. My mum's dementia was awful, particularly the angry stage where she was still ok but seeing non-existent people and the confusion made her very angry.

However @Trent's motivation for killing these people was cost. Quote 'We have to ask can we afford it'. How does that differ from Hitler or Pol Pot?
    Mine is not about costs but currently he (and not his fault merely the disease) is destroying two other lives
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Trent said:

kjh said:

Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

·
    View

Have you been in contact with social services about support?
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Trent said:

kjh said:

Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

·
    View

Sorry but it absolutely bloody is one of them if that's what the patient wants. If and only if that.

Would you support banning putting down dogs who are terminally sick? Why do we treat those who are sick and able to express their own interests with less sympathy and humanity than we do our pets?
  • Options
    On the topic:

((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    2h
    Things will only get...oh, what's the point. If Sunak wants to lead his party off a cliff, good luck to him.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1774152366721216636
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Trent said:

kjh said:

Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

·
    View

They won't do anything nor will the doctors. All we can do is put him in a home but he has to agree to it which he wont
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Trent said:

kjh said:

Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

·
    View

So what do you suggest we do, he is killing her via stress and her doctors have told her she needs to avoid it but she cant if she stays with him. His demands are putting my job on the line and if I get fired not going to be easy to find another as I am approaching 60. He is no longer rational, doesnt remember what he had for lunch 10 minutes after he ate it. He barely remembers us.

Should we abandon him to institutional care and just forget about him because he is only going to get worse.
    In our case we had continual social services monitoring the effect on our family but ultimately he contracted pneumonia and passed away

Not only did he not recognise us his personality changed completely

It is a hard decision but maybe in the interest of your family he needs to go into specialist dementia care
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Trent said:

kjh said:

Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

·
    View

Sorry but it absolutely bloody is one of them if that's what the patient wants. If and only if that.

Would you support banning putting down dogs who are terminally sick? Why do we treat those who are sick and able to express their own interests with less sympathy and humanity than we do our pets?
    I would support it at maximum for those with terminal illness and less than 6 months to live, in severe pain and verified by doctors.

Any more than that and we risk the situation in Canada now, where even the mentally ill can seek euthanasia
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Trent said:

kjh said:

Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

·
    View

In our case we had continual social services monitoring the effect on our family but ultimately he contracted pneumonia and passed away

Not only did he not recognise us his personality changed completely

It is a hard decision but maybe in the interest of your family he needs to go into specialist dementia care
    Apparently he has to agree and he won't so we are stuck having to go and find him at 1am when we get a call saying he is waiting for a bus to goto a dentist appointment he doesn't have (the last incident)
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,034
    The SNP as resilient as ever in this MRP. But, as others have noted, the model does not pick up some local factors (Edinburgh West, for example).

It would be cool to see a MRP with a sensible tactical voting adjustment made to it. Would produce some even more unlikely results, but provide a better feel for the actual totals. Difficult to get that adjustment right in Scotland.

As an aside, ignoring legal advice to continue providing arms to Israel provides Starmer with a great opportunity to attack the government on "law and order" grounds while simultaneously picking up more support from the left. He should take it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I guess you've no experience of raising children when the parents are of different faiths.

Spoiler alert: It's complicated, technically my kids are Catholics thanks to their mother but guess what they follow a halal diet.
    Yup. Zelensky is Jewish, his wife is Orthodox, IIRC. So under the maternal line thing….
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

kjh said:

Pagan2 said:

Trent said:

kjh said:

Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

·
    View

Mine is not about costs but currently he (and not his fault merely the disease) is destroying two other lives
    Yes I know and you have my sympathy. We weren't going to put my mum into a home, but eventually there was no choice. The whole thing was awful. I won't bore you with all the stories, but we had incidents of her hitting my dad, I had to collect her from a neighbour on another occasion when she was causing havoc. I had her screaming down the phone at me another time. Luckily it was me who picked up the phone, but it meant we had to sit the children down and go through it all with them in case it happened to them one day. Awful stuff. The Alzheimer Society were a great help, if that helps.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162
    Trent said:

Trent said:

·
    Views

That’s not an answer

Do *you* condemn Putin for these crimes against humanity?
  • Options

This is interesting.

I don't endorse mass starvation and I don't believe Israel is responsible for it.

Of course my preference would be for innocent Palestinians not be kettled into a war zone in part as getting aid into a war zone is very difficult.

Unfortunately while civilians in almost every other war are able to flee to safe ground outside the war zone, that right is being denied to Palestinians. For shame.

Can inhabitants of Gaza flee into Israel (the country with which Gaza has its longest border)? No. That is because Israel is stopping them. One could also criticise Egypt, but that would be whataboutery.

As for aid convoys getting into Gaza, I have to ask again what propaganda are you reading? Gaza could have all the aid it needed if Israel cooperated. Here's an AP summary of the situation (which Bart presumably thinks is all lies): https://apnews.com/article/israel-hamas-war-humanitarian-aid-gaza-1ce556a8a839803c8a1624b1b69b0a13
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Trent said:

kjh said:

Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

·
    View

Sadly that's exactly what happens.

My better half works in a care home. She cares a lot, sadly not all her colleagues do. She has volunteered a few times to hold the hands of those who are dying and been in the room a few times when people have finally passed away. She says she wants someone in there with them who cares, and it's too difficult for the families, that when it reaches that stage most families do stop visiting as it's too tough on them.

Every day residents beg to die. Many are miserable and want to die but can't.

It's an horrific end to life and she's made her wishes very clear to me that she'd rather die sooner than end up like that. Wouldn't wish it upon anyone.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Trent said:

kjh said:

Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

·
    View

They won't do anything nor will the doctors. All we can do is put him in a home but he has to agree to it which he wont
    The doctors won’t/can’t diagnose him as unable to make decisions for himself?
  • Options
    SteveSSteveS Posts: 68
    kjh said:

Trent said:

Trent said:

kjh said:

Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

·
    View

Yep my mum died of it in a care home. It wasn't pleasant. However that is no excuse for legalising murder because as you said 'We have to ask can we afford it'

'We have to ask can we afford it' Outrageous statement.

Can we afford prisons, the disabled, the old on pensions, people critically ill, etc, etc. Why not put them down as well because they are expensive.

Where would you like to draw the line. This is calling out for the use of Godwin's law. In mean literally this is Nazi stuff.
    l

I guess the point is that we already ration healthcare and as a nation we have decided that some life-prolonging treatments are too expensive. What’s a QALY worth these days?

But I agree that is very different to actively ending life on cost grounds.

Personally, if I get severe dementia, I would like my life to end early for dignity reasons, but cost should not come in to it.

Steve

• Options

This is interesting.

Can inhabitants of Gaza flee into Israel (the country with which Gaza has its longest border)? No. That is because Israel is stopping them. One could also criticise Egypt, but that would be whataboutery.

As for aid convoys getting into Gaza, I have to ask again what propaganda are you reading? Gaza could have all the aid it needed if Israel cooperated. Here's an AP summary of the situation (which Bart presumably thinks is all lies): https://apnews.com/article/israel-hamas-war-humanitarian-aid-gaza-1ce556a8a839803c8a1624b1b69b0a13
    It's not whataboutery, in no war ever that I can recall have refugees all fled into the opposing nation fighting.

Do you expect Ukrainians to flee into Russia?

It's third party nations that offer refuge during war.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162
    Trent said:

Trent said:

kjh said:

Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

·
    View

The new generation of homes are much nicer (eg circular footprint with no corners).

But I guess they don’t have those in St Petersburg
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Trent said:

kjh said:

Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

·
    View

Sadly that's exactly what happens.

My better half works in a care home. She cares a lot, sadly not all her colleagues do. She has volunteered a few times to hold the hands of those who are dying and been in the room a few times when people have finally passed away. She says she wants someone in there with them who cares, and it's too difficult for the families, that when it reaches that stage most families do stop visiting as it's too tough on them.

Every day residents beg to die. Many are miserable and want to die but can't.

It's an horrific end to life and she's made her wishes very clear to me that she'd rather die sooner than end up like that. Wouldn't wish it upon anyone.
    I have held peoples hands while they die, in my case though as a volunteer and usually people who want to go but know the family will push to keep them alive. My father however thinks there is nothing wrong with him and refuses point blank any sort of intervention. He is not miserable he just is causing it in all around him by being stubborn and refusing any help.
  • Options
    AP (via Seattle Times) - Biden wins the North Dakota Democratic primary

BISMARCK, N.D. — President Joe Biden has won North Dakota’s Democratic presidential primary.

The state party on Saturday announced the results of the mostly mail-in primary. The party began circulating ballots in February to voters who asked for them.

Biden’s victory was virtually assured, though seven other candidates were on the primary ballot.

Former President Donald Trump won the North Dakota Republican Party’s March 4 presidential caucuses, taking all 29 delegates. . . .

NYT - with 100% reported:

Joseph R. Biden Jr.
    840 92.4% 13 delegates
    Marianne Williamson
    31 3.4%
    Dean Phillips
    16 1.8%
    Cenk Uygur
    13 1.4%
    Eban Cambridge
    4 0.4%
    Stephen Lyons
    3 0.3%
    Jason Palmer
    2 0.2%
    Armando Perez-Serrato
    0 0.0%
    Total reported

SSI - Calling a statewide vote, with less than a thousdand actual "votes" cast, is a truly bad joke.

Sad day for the (once) great Flickertail State.

BTW & FYI, a "flickertail" is a ground squirrel. Which makes perfect sense in this context!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

Trent said:

kjh said:

Trent said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

·
    View

I would support it at maximum for those with terminal illness and less than 6 months to live, in severe pain and verified by doctors.

Any more than that and we risk the situation in Canada now, where even the mentally ill can seek euthanasia
    I think we should recognise the limitations of medical prognostication. You can't know whether someone has <6 months to live. (My aunt was given about 6 months to live... about 6 years ago.)
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

kjh said:

Pagan2 said:

ajb said:

There are numerous LD posters here including myself and I know you don't think I am not liberal nor undemocratic nor a compulsive liar from our past discussions and I'm sure you don't think that of the other LD posters here who all come over as extremely reasonable (he says being unbiased :wink: )

I lived in slough for a long while, used to get ld leaflets through the door for elections, also had good friends in maidenhead they used to get ld leaflets too.....reading both sets you wouldn't believe they were from the same party because they were so often contradictory.

I believe most ld supporters here are sincere....I just don't think the party you support is sincere. I suspect 2/3 of ld votes in any election are mere protests and if you just had believers voting for you then you would come behind the greens.
    We are the party. I am not just a supporter. In my time I have been an agent, a constituency chair and served on a regional executive. I think others here will have served similar roles, certainly there are some who have been councillors. I have met hundreds of members and MPs. They are not dishonest. They hold sincere convictions. Nobody joins the LDs for other motives. You don't join for power nor the money as we have neither.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,890
    edited March 30
    Hasn’t MRP turned out to be reasonably accurate on the past?

Such an overwhelming Labour majority is actually scary.

Just not as scary as leaving the Tories under any illusion that the country wants a bar of their bankrupt malfeasance.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,034
    edited March 30

This is interesting.

It's not whataboutery, in no war ever that I can recall have refugees all fled into the opposing nation fighting.

Do you expect Ukrainians to flee into Russia?

It's third party nations that offer refuge during war.
    But according to your previous comments, Israel is targeting Hamas, not Gazans in general. So Israel is not an "opposing nation". Indeed, your post implies that you recognise Gaza as a nation, I think? Or Palestine? And that Israel has declared war?

Difficult to keep up with you. If I didn't know better, I'd think you were spouting any old nonsense to justify a disturbing bloodlust for innocent civilians.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,890
    Good evening from sunny Long Island by the way.
This discussion has been closed.