Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Miliband’s five hurdles

124»

Comments

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Mick_Pork said:

Stick to sex tourism and gushing ECSTATICALLY about some kiddy movie. Even Gildas seems less bitter and obsessed with scottish matters than you and we all know why. ;)

Referring to him as "gushing ecstatically" about a "kiddy movie" in the same sentence as talking about "sex tourism". You're not even subtle about the way you try to impugn people between the lines.

I wouldn't worry about SeanT. He's rich enough to pay for expensive lawyers.

It's the fact it's been a concerted effort by certain left-wing posters to imply others are paedophiles. It was done to me, it was done to iSam and now it's being done to SeanT. It's a rather ugly tactic that speaks to the moral depravity of those doing it, and it makes the site a much more unpleasant experience.

Can you name these left wing posters Socrates? I have not seen anything on here remotely like that from any current or previous poster of any political persuasion. I have seen people accused of revelling in certain types of case involving certain kinds of paedophiles and sex traffikers with certain ethnic and religious backgrounds, but that is - of course - very different.

• Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited March 2014
    David Hayes MP (Ashton-under-Lyne) retirement reported by Manchester Evening News journalist. Born in 1946, elected in 2001 GE.

Aberavon CLP set to shortlist today. Race looks quite open after branches nominations.

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    edited March 2014

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Mick_Pork said:

Stick to sex tourism and gushing ECSTATICALLY about some kiddy movie. Even Gildas seems less bitter and obsessed with scottish matters than you and we all know why. ;)

Referring to him as "gushing ecstatically" about a "kiddy movie" in the same sentence as talking about "sex tourism". You're not even subtle about the way you try to impugn people between the lines.

It's the fact it's been a concerted effort by certain left-wing posters to imply others are paedophiles. It was done to me, it was done to iSam and now it's being done to SeanT. It's a rather ugly tactic that speaks to the moral depravity of those doing it, and it makes the site a much more unpleasant experience.

Can you name these left wing posters Socrates? I have not seen anything on here remotely like that from any current or previous poster of any political persuasion. I have seen people accused of revelling in certain types of case involving certain kinds of paedophiles and sex traffikers with certain ethnic and religious backgrounds, but that is - of course - very different.

Yes. tim and Mick P0rk. If you're really not picking up what people are trying to do when they say others are "salivating over child abuse" or "gushing over kiddy movies", then you're very naive.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    malcolmg said:

lead reduced by 15% over last 6 months or so

Compared to last August, Yes is up seven points and No is down seven.

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/265837-over-half-of-scots-support-no-vote-while-a-third-support-independence/
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,241

@Malcolmg - It's a bit of a push to describe the Borders as wealthy, isn't it? I thought average income there was well done on the overall Scotland amount.

Lots of wealthy Tory farmers though and many well off English retire there , so given the mix of population etc it is no surprise that it will not be a hotbed of YES support. I would be more surprised re Dumfries and Galloway which I believe is poorer, but again is on the border so has some impact.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Socrates said:

What I was criticising was your deliberate use of the term "kiddy movie", with all the overtones that implies.

For a film called "The Lego Movie"? You're actually serious? Dear god! You really are one of the most pitiful and dimwitted posters on here. You must have quite the struggle trying to grasp the Daily Mail with your intellectual prowess.

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited March 2014
    @Malcolmg

Well, some time ago we have a £50 bet that a single vote will suffice, and another more recently at £25 that the margin will be 10% or more. Feeling modestly sanguine on both...

(At least you put your money where your mouth is....unlike some!).
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    Mick_Pork said:

Socrates said:

What I was criticising was your deliberate use of the term "kiddy movie", with all the overtones that implies.

For a film called "The Lego Movie"? You're actually serious? Dear god! You really are one of the most pitiful and dimwitted posters on here. You must have quite the struggle trying to grasp the Daily Mail with your intellectual prowess.

I don't think there is dispute that it is a film aimed at children, but the term 'kiddy' certainly has bad connotations, especially in a sexual context!
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited March 2014
    Scott_P said:

@joncraig: Blockbuster speech from Len McCluskey at Labour special conference, defending Unite in Falkirk. I watched Ed Miliband, on platform, wincing!

Will Ed still be Len"s deputy in 15 months time ?
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Mick_Pork said:

Yes. tim and Mick P0rk.

I have not seen either of those posters imply anyone is a paedophile. I have seen them and others imply that posters such as yourself seem to revel in cases involving paedophiles and sex traffikers who are moslem and/or Asian but give no attention to other cases involving sex trafficking and paedophilia; but that does not imply you are a paedophile, it implies that you like to draw attention to certain types of brutal, deeply unpleasant sex offenders to make wider points about a specific religion and ethnicity.

• Options

I have seen people accused of revelling in certain types of case involving certain kinds of paedophiles and sex traffikers with certain ethnic and religious backgrounds, but that is - of course - very different.

Curious that they didn't seem to care at all about the Vatican child abuse scandal when I made a post on that. Most curious indeed.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

JohnO said:

Er, except they ARE currently in the lead and by a comfortable margin.

@stvharry: Over half of Scots support No vote while a third support independence http://t.co/harfS4q0wo
    Cue Turnip Head proving that BT are blinkered. He is obsessed with promoting YouGov who have been consistently shown to be useless at polling in Scotland , given they use 2010 weighting , incorrectly weight for their British bias , etc etc.
    With people like Scott as cheerleaders for NO , how can any sane person think they are likely to win. Having some blinkered supporters who hate Scotland and promote that view relentlessly is unlikely to gain them a victory.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

@Malcolmg - It's a bit of a push to describe the Borders as wealthy, isn't it? I thought average income there was well done on the overall Scotland amount.

Lots of wealthy Tory farmers though and many well off English retire there , so given the mix of population etc it is no surprise that it will not be a hotbed of YES support. I would be more surprised re Dumfries and Galloway which I believe is poorer, but again is on the border so has some impact.
    Dumfries and Galloway is more mixed. Parts of Dumfries town are quite poor as are some of the old mining areas in Nithsdale. Of course the vast majority of Borderers are neither farmers nor English, but a substantial majority nonetheless look like they will vote No.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Lens speech must have decided a few DK's and now Ed is making sure...Is he for real.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,559
    As a 90% tory and 88% Lib Dem it is perhaps not surprising I find this Coalition more congenial than most.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Mick_Pork said:

Socrates said:

I don't think there is dispute that it is a film aimed at children, but the term 'kiddy' certainly has bad connotations, especially in a sexual context!
    He knows full well the connotations. The tactic is to use language that suggests paedophilia, but in a way that you can claim it is about something else when challenged. They hope it will slide by, but do it in a drip drip drip way to smear others. Seriously, let's just look at the sentence used again:

"Stick to sex tourism and gushing ECSTATICALLY about some kiddy movie"

Seriously, what is that supposed to sound like to most people glancing by?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Mick_Pork said:

Socrates said:

I often hear Scots refer to kiddies rather than kids.

• Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    edited March 2014
    Socrates/MickPork

You were both told the other day that this conversation and this type of conversation was closed.

Any more infractions from either of you and your ability to instantly post will be withdrawn.

For the avoidance of doubt until further notice neither of you are allowed to discuss anything connected to sexual crimes
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

I have seen people accused of revelling in certain types of case involving certain kinds of paedophiles and sex traffikers with certain ethnic and religious backgrounds, but that is - of course - very different.

Curious that they didn't seem to care at all about the Vatican child abuse scandal when I made a post on that. Most curious indeed.
    I have slammed the Vatican child abuse scandal a number of times, including criticising the former Pope on a personal level for his cover-up. I've also drawn attention to abuse at a Jewish school. This is just part of your campaign to smear a number of posters as racist. To be fair to you, it worked fairly well. That's probably why you moved on to the paedophile smear.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Mick_Pork said:

You mean the scandal that has had a thousand times more BBC airtime than the grooming gangs?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

lead reduced by 15% over last 6 months or so

Compared to last August, Yes is up seven points and No is down seven.

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/265837-over-half-of-scots-support-no-vote-while-a-third-support-independence/
    Scott you do realise 7+7 is almost exactly what I said, stv obviously lost 1%.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Socrates/MickPork

You were both told the other day that this conversation and this type of conversation was closed.

Any more infractions from either of you and your ability to instantly post will be withdrawn.

For the avoidance of doubt until further notice neither of you are allowed to discuss anything connected to sexual crimes

Fine, as long as Mick Pork stops implying that others are racists or paedophiles. The problem is that you only intervene when someone reacts to him. If we don't react to it, he goes on smearing people, and if we do, we get threatened with bans too. We can't win.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Mick_Pork said:

Yes. tim and Mick P0rk.

I have not seen either of those posters imply anyone is a paedophile. I have seen them and others imply that posters such as yourself seem to revel in cases involving paedophiles and sex traffikers who are moslem and/or Asian but give no attention to other cases involving sex trafficking and paedophilia; but that does not imply you are a paedophile, it implies that you like to draw attention to certain types of brutal, deeply unpleasant sex offenders to make wider points about a specific religion and ethnicity.

Or to highlight the double standard over the reporting of such crimes - as perfectly illustrated by the Catholic priest scandal.
  • Options
    Andrew Leavitt ‏@arleavitt 1h

Paranoid Americans think Obama is secret Kenyan Muslim, paranoid Kenyan Muslims think he's secretly gay. http://ow.ly/u7RaU

✪ Tom O'Halloran ✪ ‏@TPO_Hisself 35m

Exposed: Obama Family Part of Secret Muslim Terror Operation http://tomohalloran.com/2014/02/01/exposed-obama-family-part-secret-muslim-terror-operation/

Seriously, what is that supposed to sound like to most people glancing by?

LOL

:)
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,163
    Socrates said:

The non-Inglish place names are generally Pictish though, I understand, which is a far older culture that died out far before the early modern period. Although they'd presumably have a stronger case to be "British" than either the Scots-Inglish or the Gaels.

I seem to recall it depends where you are - in the Lothians there are strong links with the Welsh in tradition, for instance, which presumably reflect some sort of reality (Manau Gododdin and all that), while the Picts tend to be further north if only on place name evidence. But basically yes you are quite right that Scots Gaelic is not the only Celtic language manifested in Scotland (which is why I carefully did not say 'Gaelic'). Not to mention the Norse/Danish influence in the Lordship of the Isles, though that was rather later.

• Options
    @GuidoFawkes: Vaz cocks up: "I'd like to give my votes to Len McCluskey. As leader of the Labour Party...........er, Ed Miliband..."
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates/MickPork

Fine, as long as
    You can make yet more petulant demands to the moderators?

You clearly haven't learned a thing since your last hilarious flounce off of here.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

@Malcolmg

Well, some time ago we have a £50 bet that a single vote will suffice, and another more recently at £25 that the margin will be 10% or more. Feeling modestly sanguine on both...

John, I cannot remember exactly what we bet , I do remember TUD and I betting with you though on result and margins. I go on holiday on 19th September by the way so do not be surprised if I am not on site for a week after the vote. You will be able to contact me through Mike or peter the punter who have my e-mail address. Though I will be skint after holidays so in the unlikely event that I lose you may have to accept instalments of a £1 a week.
  • Options
    How did this get missed?
    Times News ‏@TimesNewsdesk 15h

Cameron urges Boris to run for Parliament http://thetim.es/1d3baeK
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Dumfries and Galloway is more mixed. Parts of Dumfries town are quite poor as are some of the old mining areas in Nithsdale. Of course the vast majority of Borderers are neither farmers nor English, but a substantial majority nonetheless look like they will vote No.
    Yes said same on other post to SO , D&G much poorer and surprising.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Mick_Pork said:

Socrates said:

Socrates/MickPork

Fine, as long as
    You can make yet more petulant demands to the moderators?

You clearly haven't learned a thing since your last hilarious flounce off of here.
    Here we have a classic case of MickPork starting the insults up again, clearly after seeing the warnings (seeing that he quoted the conversation in the post) and after I've agreed to cease. If I don't respond, he just continues without repercussions. If I respond, I also get banned.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

How did this get missed?

The tweet suggests Cameron is doing the urging, wheras the article suggests it is his allies. Which is it?
  • Options
    Shirley ‏@shirleykay11 2h

#bbcnews tories want Boris Johnson to stand in the 2015 election so he can lead the tories to a majority in 2020 pic.twitter.com/xehTU7oeAW”
    Where though?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Mick_Pork said:

How did this get missed?

The tweet suggests Cameron is doing the urging, wheras the article suggests it is his allies. Which is it?

Your problem is with the Times headline wallah though if it's Cameron's allies it does rather suggest Cameron himself is fine with it. Still raises the question of where and how though.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Mick_Pork said:

Yes. tim and Mick P0rk.

Or to highlight the double standard over the reporting of such crimes - as perfectly illustrated by the Catholic priest scandal.

As I have said on here before, I do think there have been double standards and I agree that one of the reasons that Asian/muslim sex traffikers and paedophiles have been able to get away with their crimes is that political correctness has shielded them from investigation (though it is not the only reason as in this country paedophilia and other crimes against children have historically been swept under the carpet or trivialised far too often). A debate around these issues on here and elsewhere is right and proper. The problem begins, I think, when the crimes of a tiny minority are used to attack a wider group of people.

• Options
    edited March 2014

malcolmg said:

Perfect example below Max, BT had one person at their meet, initial YES team 100

twitter.com/stewartbremner/status/439742077736202240/photo/1
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    Socrates said:

Fine, as long as Mick Pork stops implying that others are racists or paedophiles. The problem is that you only intervene when someone reacts to him. If we don't react to it, he goes on smearing people, and if we do, we get threatened with bans too. We can't win.

Soco,

Have you ever thought that 'The Wallonian cow-Pat' is the result of an illicit tet-a-tet between Auntie Hortence and Rudolf Hess, 1942? It may explain why Junior has struggled to keep both on a leash....

:just-a-thought:
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

#bbcnews tories want Boris Johnson to stand in the 2015 election so he can lead the tories to a majority in 2020 pic.twitter.com/xehTU7oeAW”
    Where though?

Falkirk ?
  • Options

As I have said on here before, I do think there have been double standards and I agree that one of the reasons that Asian/muslim sex traffikers and paedophiles have been able to get away with their crimes is that political correctness has shielded them from investigation (though it is not the only reason as in this country paedophilia and other crimes against children have historically been swept under the carpet or trivialised far too often). A debate around these issues on here and elsewhere is right and proper. The problem begins, I think, when the crimes of a tiny minority are used to attack a wider group of people.

Yet, some of us are not allowed to bring up these underreported issues on here because we were smeared for being racist for doing it. So the smearers have successfully shut down conversation on the topic.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

RobD said:

Mick_Pork said:

How did this get missed?

Your problem is with the Times headline wallah though if it's Cameron's allies it does rather suggest Cameron himself is fine with it. Still raises the question of where and how though.

Oh, sorry I thought you may have paywall access (I don't!).

Good question, I thought the father of the house's seat was mentioned as a possibility?
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Socrates said:

Soco,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqwDoMqyWxw
  • Options
    If YES wins will this year's Ryder Cup be the first one held at a neutral venue ?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

Where though?
    Falkirk ?

Ribble Valley?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Falkirk ?

Morley and Outwood?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited March 2014
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Mick_Pork said:

I missed that! I thought I was a BNP supporter that fantasised about having electricians for mates, not a paedophileI?!
  • Options
    isam said:

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Mick_Pork said:

I missed that! I thought I was a BNP supporter that fantasised about having electricians for mates, not a paedophileI?!
    I've been banned from discussing this any more. Sorry.
  • Options
    Sir_GeoffSir_Geoff Posts: 41
    Carnyx said:

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

your emotional hatred of the major English powers blinds you to tha

Wot's the 'major English powers' then?
    The major economic and military powers of predominantly English culture: mainly the United States and the United Kingdom, but to a lesser extent Canada and Australia.

I don't think that any of those countries would recognise themselves as being culturally "English" in any way. They all have strong British connections, but that is very, very different.

And Irish!

The idea that Canada was quintessentially English surprised me so much in view of what I have read in the past about it being a focus of Scottish emigration that I checked and indeed the Canadian census "ethnic origins" has English 21%, French 16%, Scots 15% and Irish 14%, after plain 'Canadian' 32% - the rest is Germans and so on down to and through Welsh at 1.4%. So Mr Observer is absolutely right at least for Canada.

English in the sense of being Anglophone, yes, but even then Canada has the biggest Scots Gaelic speaking population in the world.

Is a degree of this down to some of those from the 'dominant' group no longer identifying as having a distinct origin from outside their nation, so the lion's share of the 32% will be English (or British, with the precise origin lost)? Similar findings from the US census under-report English origins, a phenomenon that has grown as the generations pass.

The link below gives a flavour of this for the US, although I remember reading a more extensive article that put this down to the tendancy of minority groups to cling on to their culture, and thus hyphenation, because they were a minority. An Italian-American, etc was seen as being more likely to identify as such several generations after their ancestors left the old country, whereas being English-American, elicited less of a need to cling on to the old world.

http://www.businessinsider.com/largest-ethnic-groups-in-america-2013-8

• Options
    edited March 2014
    RobD said:

Mick_Pork said:

RobD said:

Mick_Pork said:

How did this get missed?

Good question, I thought the father of the house's seat was mentioned as a possibility?

Tapsell? It's possible I suppose but I also seem to remember a great deal of talk about some of Bojo's allies in the commons being prepared to step down for him. Of course if that was just talk then Boris won't be best pleased to say the least. He still has a big powerbase he's built up in London it has to be said. They too would be incredibly useful to mobilise for a by-election and Boris would be far more likely than most tories to have little trouble winning one in a reasonable seat.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Yet, some of us are not allowed to bring up these underreported issues on here because we were smeared for being racist for doing it. So the smearers have successfully shut down conversation on the topic.

I have brought it up.

• Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    edited March 2014
    Are there any high profile Tory MP's in the marginals that are going to lose their job when Labour win in 2015. I don't want to be accused of favoritism when the marginals are allocated to the Hodges.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    RobD said:

Mick_Pork said:

RobD said:

Mick_Pork said:

How did this get missed?

Good question, I thought the father of the house's seat was mentioned as a possibility?"The Chancellor, who has leadership aspirations of his own, is woven through the Times story. The desirability of Boris’s return to the front line is claimed to be “Mr Osborne’s view”."

http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2014/03/boris-should-return-to-the-commons-at-the-next-election.html

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

Where though?
    Falkirk ?

Sheffield Hallam
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

If YES wins will this year's Ryder Cup be the first one held at a neutral venue ?

Be the last GB and Europe one at least
  • Options
    edited March 2014

RobD said:

Mick_Pork said:

RobD said:

Mick_Pork said:

How did this get missed?

"The Chancellor, who has leadership aspirations of his own, is woven through the Times story. The desirability of Boris’s return to the front line is claimed to be “Mr Osborne’s view”."

http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2014/03/boris-should-return-to-the-commons-at-the-next-election.html

Well Osbrowne is the 'master strategist' nor is this all that out of the blue.
    David Cameron: Be great to get Boris Johnson back as MP

David Cameron has said he believes Boris Johnson could return to the House of Commons in 2015 and that the two "can make a very good team".

Asked whether he could envisage a return as soon as 2015, the PM said "absolutely" and stressed he would give him a "very warm welcome".

"It is a matter for him, it is his plan. All I know is that... we can make a very strong team together, we do today."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24346167
    It all seems to be a question if timing and logistics TBH. I'd presume the Times have good reason to flag it up again and as an even stronger possibility right now.
  • Options

Socrates said:

I have brought it up.

Socrates said:

I have brought it up.

Yes, but some of us are not allowed to add opinions on the matter.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

JohnO said:

Er, except they ARE currently in the lead and by a comfortable margin.

@stvharry: Over half of Scots support No vote while a third support independence http://t.co/harfS4q0wo
    Cue Turnip Head proving that BT are blinkered. He is obsessed with promoting YouGov who have been consistently shown to be useless at polling in Scotland , given they use 2010 weighting , incorrectly weight for their British bias , etc etc.
    With people like Scott as cheerleaders for NO , how can any sane person think they are likely to win. Having some blinkered supporters who hate Scotland and promote that view relentlessly is unlikely to gain them a victory.
    Yougov have been weighting their referendum polls to 2011 Holyrood weightings for some time now and not 2010 weightings . Face up to the facts , Yes is no longer TOAST but a few burnt and blackened crumbs clogging the bottom of the toaster .
  • Options
    Sir_Geoff said:

Carnyx said:

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

your emotional hatred of the major English powers blinds you to tha

Wot's the 'major English powers' then?
    The major economic and military powers of predominantly English culture: mainly the United States and the United Kingdom, but to a lesser extent Canada and Australia.

I don't think that any of those countries would recognise themselves as being culturally "English" in any way. They all have strong British connections, but that is very, very different.

And Irish!

The idea that Canada was quintessentially English surprised me so much in view of what I have read in the past about it being a focus of Scottish emigration that I checked and indeed the Canadian census "ethnic origins" has English 21%, French 16%, Scots 15% and Irish 14%, after plain 'Canadian' 32% - the rest is Germans and so on down to and through Welsh at 1.4%. So Mr Observer is absolutely right at least for Canada.

English in the sense of being Anglophone, yes, but even then Canada has the biggest Scots Gaelic speaking population in the world.

Is a degree of this down to some of those from the 'dominant' group no longer identifying as having a distinct origin from outside their nation, so the lion's share of the 32% will be English (or British, with the precise origin lost)? Similar findings from the US census under-report English origins, a phenomenon that has grown as the generations pass.

The link below gives a flavour of this for the US, although I remember reading a more extensive article that put this down to the tendancy of minority groups to cling on to their culture, and thus hyphenation, because they were a minority. An Italian-American, etc was seen as being more likely to identify as such several generations after their ancestors left the old country, whereas being English-American, elicited less of a need to cling on to the old world.

http://www.businessinsider.com/largest-ethnic-groups-in-america-2013-8

Right. I don't think anyone ever said that Canada was *quintessentially* English either. But broadly of English culture, aside from Quebec, I think is accurate. The Germans, Irish etc that have settled in the place have largely adopted the dominant English culture.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    malcolmg said:

JohnO said:

@Malcolmg

John, I cannot remember exactly what we bet , I do remember TUD and I betting with you though on result and margins. I go on holiday on 19th September by the way so do not be surprised if I am not on site for a week after the vote. You will be able to contact me through Mike or peter the punter who have my e-mail address. Though I will be skint after holidays so in the unlikely event that I lose you may have to accept instalments of a £1 a week.
    OK, will bear that in mind. My other bets on the referendum are with James Kelly (who is one up so far having correctly predicted that the voting age would be lower than 18).
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Which political party are you? This short quiz is fun http://uk.isidewith.com/political-quiz?from=FYSmDJNf7

83% conservative - lol

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Adil Ray ‏@adilray 2h

I agree totally with Nigel Farage. Shocking how parts of Britain can't speak the English. Like this eejit. http://youtu.be/kjuNuqIev8M

*chortle*

This also passed by without much comment at the time. It seems Boris has been ingratiating himself with the Cameroons for quite some time now.

Xlibris1 ‏@Xlibris1 10m

Catching up ! Boris: 'Don't include Farage in political TV debates' http://www.itv.com/news/update/2014-02-24/boris-dont-include-farage-in-political-tv-debates/
  • Options

Ed Miliband ✔ @Ed_Miliband
    Delegates are voting. Let’s change our party. Let’s build a movement. So we can change our country. #OneNationPolitics

Let's be more. Productive by using. Only short sentences. So thickos. Get it. No more. Slogans here. Full stops for. The masses.
  • Options

2011 Holyrood

Where little Ed and SLAB were supremely confident that the SNP were TOAST and yet that's not what happened, was it? So I think we can file your analysis of the polling right alongside all the other lib dem SURGES at the local elections.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,559
    edited March 2014
    The tories simply do not have enough talent or populist appeal to fail to use Boris in this way. It is a matter of giving yourself a chance. In the unlikely event that the tories are going to get a majority as opposed to simply being the largest party they are really needing to pick up at least 10 seats inside the M25. Boris could be a great help with that. Having him stand anywhere else would be a waste.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

Be the last GB and Europe one at least
    Won't affect the team though...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The tories simply do not have enough talent or populist appeal to fail to use Boris in this way. It is a matter of giving yourself a chance. In the unlikely event that the tories are going to be the largest party they are really needing to pick up at least 10 seats inside the M25. Boris could be a great help with that. Having him stand anywhere else would be a waste.

Correct. He might not play as well elsewhere but he's still the conference darling and he could make a big difference for the tory activist base who seem rather less than pleased with the way things are going right now. From all the noises it would seem that the hatchet has, if not been totally buried, then at least placed in a box for the Cameroons and Boris to fight over at a later date.
  • Options

Which political party are you? This short quiz is fun http://uk.isidewith.com/political-quiz?from=FYSmDJNf7

83% conservative - lol

Wont disclose my score - let's just say I definitely deserve the moniker PB Tory ;-)
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

2011 Holyrood

Where little Ed and SLAB were supremely confident that the SNP were TOAST and yet that's not what happened, was it? So I think we can file your analysis of the polling right alongside all the other lib dem SURGES at the local elections.
    You will have to remind me which Lib Dem surges I have predicted at local elections . I have forecast net losses at each of the last 3 sets of local elections .
    The Scots have mostly made up their minds how they will vote in September . Hearts may be telling some of them that they would like Independence but their heads are telling them that they will be better off staying in the Union and that is how the majority will vote .
  • Options
    @JohnRentoul: Downfall parodies are so yesterday. Apart from this one by @LeCreusetFiend via @LouiseMensch #CostaLivingCrisis https://t.co/SMU2K7yTaF
  • Options
    edited March 2014

The Scots have mostly made up their minds how they will vote in September .

You think that was what calamity Clegg was telling himself when Yes to AV was leading months out from that referendum vote? Well at least Clegg's yellow tory spinners have Lords Reform to fall back on as some kind of tangible solid achievement for their time as Cammie's little helpers. (apart from making the lib dems a political irrelevance in scotland and so many other places) Oh that's right, they don't even have Lords Reform either, well done. :)
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

You think that was what calamity Clegg was telling himself when Yes to AV was leading months out from that referendum vote? Well at least Clegg's yellow tory spinners have Lords Reform to fall back on as some kind of tangible solid achievement for their time as Cammie's little helpers. (apart from making the lib dems a political irrelevance in scotland and so many other places) Oh that's right, they don't even have Lords Reform either, well done. :)

No I don't , and the fact that you think the Independence and AV referenda are remotely similar shows up your immature view and knowledge of politics .
  • Options
    " Lib Dem switchers returning or defecting elsewhere again

Labour gained a substantial portion of 2010 Lib Dems early on in the parliament and they’ve been solidly in the Red column ever since, but then the Lib Dems have been solidly in a Con-LD coalition ever since. Polling and anecdotal evidence suggests that the switchers see themselves as likely to stay there. Labour must hope they do as they account for more than the party’s whole polling lead; there has been virtually no net direct swing between Con and Lab."

The only thing you can say for certain about those lost lib dems are that they are lost. The lib dems flatlining at around 10% since late 2010 speaks for itself. Sure, it's very likely that most of them went to labour but not all of them. A portion might just go to NOTA and sit on their hands while they wait for the lib dems to get rid of Clegg. Another chunk will have went to other parties. The fact that Labour's lead has not been uniform since the lib dems tanked to 10% does tend to indicate a fair degree of churn and that there is a sizable number of floating voters not yet settled on any one party.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,038
    edited March 2014
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Worst day yet for Red Bull. Vettel got in four corners. Not even half an installation lap.

Edited extra bit: as a point of comparison, Caterham's Ericsson (with a Renault engine) has got in over 100 laps. It's not down just to Renault, the Red Bull itself is wrong.
  • Options

Mick_Pork said:

No I don't , and the fact that you think the Independence and AV referenda are remotely similar shows up your immature view and knowledge of politics .
    More likely it shows that Clegg's ostrich faction of inept spinners don't like to be reminded of the facts. They are both referenda and Clegg was and is a toxic liability for both of them.
  • Options
    new thread...
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

More likely it shows that Clegg's ostrich faction of inept spinners don't like to be reminded of the facts. They are both referenda and Clegg was and is a toxic liability for both of them.
    If as you say Clegg is a toxic liability to the Scottish No campaign , it will be even more humiliating to you when Yes is heavily defeated .
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,427
    RobD said:

83% conservative - lol

Wont disclose my score - let's just say I definitely deserve the moniker PB Tory ;-)
    93% Tory , 91% UKIP, 84% lib dem ,30% Green 29% BNP 25% Labour -seems about right in terms of order I would choose to vote for
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

If as you say Clegg is a toxic liability to the Scottish No campaign , it will be even more humiliating to you when Yes is heavily defeated .
    Right you are stuarttruth. LOL Time you realised that having a taxi full of lib dem MSPs in scotland is absolute proof of Calamity Clegg's virulent and amusing toxicity in scotland.
    Unprincipled yellow tories do have that effect on the voter. :)
  • Options
    wumperwumper Posts: 35
    Who says beside yourself that Labours economic policies are all over the place????? I thought you were supposed to be politically neutral but you are obviously not. I am so disappointed in your column and i have now lost faith in anything you and your cohorts say
This discussion has been closed.