Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Miliband’s five hurdles

SystemSystem Posts: 11,703
edited February 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Miliband’s five hurdles

To say there’s been no movement in the opinion polls over the last two years would be untrue.  Most obviously, UKIP’s average share doubled between early 2012 and the time of last year’s local elections, pushing the Lib Dems into a regular fourth, which remains the case despite a slight drop off for the Purples.  There’s also been a small narrowing of the gap between Labour and the Conservatives, but at a …

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Labour easily won England in 1997 and 2001:

http://www.election.demon.co.uk/ge1997.html
    328 out of 529 seats

http://www.election.demon.co.uk/ge2001.html
    323 out of 529 seats
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited February 2014
    All your points are valid to a certain degree though I agree that a Scottish YES could change everything.

The LD>LAB switching looks pretty strong and has remained constant for three years. I can't see many going back expecially, as the Ashcroft polling found, in the marginals.

My reading of the UKIP seepage is that this will be larger where it doesn't matter - not in the marginals. Where two of the main parties are fighting hard then the purples will get squeezed. This is good news for the Tories.

On leadership perceptions the blues have as big a problem as the reds. Nadine Dorries comments about "posh boys not knowing the price of bread" resonates and will continue to do so. That the CON team charged with writing the manifesto consists of six men who went to Eton and one who went to St Pauls speaks volumes. This is the Tory achilles heel and could be equally if not more damaging than the issues relating to Ed.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    UKIP have uploaded two clips from Mr Farage's recent speech to their 'Official' YouTube channel (they also seem to have a 'UKIP media' channel for TV appearances). In the past they've uploaded entire speeches from the speakers at their conferences, but this evening they've uploaded two snippets from Mr Farage's speech.

I assume they want to promote those two snippets, one of them seems to be aimed squarely at Labour, so it's _relevant to this thread_ !

The title is "Why UKIP is the only party standing up for ordinary working people".

http://youtu.be/6P_jL23QG4I
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    It'll be point five that I think does over Miliband. I think an improving an economy and Miliband's lack of statesmanness will mean he falls in the polls as we get close to the election and prevent his authority. However, the Tories failures on the EU, immigration and the big brother state will mean Labour will still get most seats. I suspect we'll then get a couple of years of a Lib-Lab government but it'll fall apart without a clear agenda or capable leadership. What happens then will all depend on who the Conservatives elect as their next leader. They need someone who can win back eurosceptics, libertarians and the working class, but I don't know enough about the party to know who can do all three.
  • Options
    "Labour gained a substantial portion of 2010 Lib Dems early on in the parliament" Or rather, Labour voters who voted Lib Dem in protest and because they saw them as a left wing alternative (!) went back to their natural home, Labour once they saw through Clegg.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Hmm, not really significant hurdles - Miliband is a very lucky leader that events have played into his hands so well.

1) The biggest wildcard and which has biggest potential rock Ed M from his confident position. The polls are consistent it should not prove a problem for him, but in the same way I've felt the situation would always come round to a Labour majority, in 2015, I've felt the same about a Scottish Yes vote, much as I would wish otherwise on the latter.

2) Nailed on, no problems. The LD switchers have shown no sign of going back, and to suddenly be willing to do so right before a GE? I don't credit it (as Susan says below, many returning to a natural home, being a soft vote), and Labour can win enough with Con reduction and Lab improving on 2010 just slightly, that even if former LDs not switching back causes a few losses for the LDs in Con-LD seats, they will be safe enough.

3) Looking pretty solid as well, and even if Con recover a lot of their lost voters, they won't get them all back, costing them at best a few percentage points, which is all Labour need.

4) Could go either way, but I suspect Labour will be lucky - it was said 2010 was a good election to lose given all the economic pain that would occur, and while things have improved, will they have enough and will voters associate that with the present gov enough (or would it be a 'bound to happen eventually' approach) to not punish them for all the cuts, and there's always the chance that since things seem better, people could risk a Labour team who are all over the place on the economy as things are stronger now.

Miliband will be fine. Clegg is reviled beyond reason, to the point that no matter any good he says or does, he won't appeal to any former LDs or Lab voters (I am beginning to doubt the LDs will force him to step down later this year as well), so Ed M being weak is secure there, Cameron has some appear beyond the Tories, but a significant minority within his own ranks despise him and that will hurt his base vote and push up the UKIP factor, while Ed M has somehow managed to avoid being tarneshed with the negatives of the last government, despite being in it up to his neck in the backroom and in the open for a decade and more, so his weakness will not drag him down too much, not least because the Tories are so confused in messaging, having switched to 'Ed M is dangerous' early autumn last year with little success. The Labour brand remains strong enough it can survive any pullback he causes.

So, Ukraine eh? Not sure what the commentariat are wanting to happen. Some becry weakness in the face of Putin's blazen actions, others suggest that is the correct course as standing up to Russia directly is not to be done, by implication saying Ukraine is not worth all this. Rough stuff.

Sadly, must to bed immediately though, about to fall asleep at the keyboard. Good night.
  • Options

328 out of 529 seats

323 out of 529 seats

Feels like a totally different place now, politically, but clearly things can change rapidly, and if Scotland were to go independent, they'd put in a lot more effort to regain the south, where at the moment they can be somewhat blase about it.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Socrates said:

It'll be point five that I think does over Miliband. I think an improving an economy and Miliband's lack of statesmanness will mean he falls in the polls as we get close to the election and prevent his authority. However, the Tories failures on the EU, immigration and the big brother state will mean Labour will still get most seats. I suspect we'll then get a couple of years of a Lib-Lab government but it'll fall apart without a clear agenda or capable leadership. What happens then will all depend on who the Conservatives elect as their next leader. They need someone who can win back eurosceptics, libertarians and the working class, but I don't know enough about the party to know who can do all three.

Surely point five favours Labour? None of the party leaders, or parties, being popular points to a low-turnout, and Labour's party machine appears to be healthier than the Conservative's.
  • Options

All your points are valid to a certain degree though I agree that a Scottish YES could change everything.

The LD>LAB switching looks pretty strong and has remained constant for three years. I can't see many going back expecially, as the Ashcroft polling found, in the marginals.

My reading of the UKIP seepage is that this will be larger where it doesn't matter - not in the marginals. Where two of the main parties are fighting hard then the purples will get squeezed. This is good news for the Tories.

On leadership perceptions the blues have as big a problem as the reds. Nadine Dorries comments about "posh boys not knowing the price of bread" resonates and will continue to do so. That the CON team charged with writing the manifesto consists of six men who went to Eton and one who went to St Pauls speaks volumes. This is the Tory achilles heel and could be equally if not more damaging than the issues relating to Ed.

Potentially. Curious how certain things hit some parties harder than others. I would guess, and I may be wrong, that the Labour manifesto will be written by some bland party hack, probably a former SpAd, equally as out of touch with actual commonality as some Tory toff from Eton, but the Tories attacking Labour for being run by out of touch political elites simply doesn't work even when it is true, whereas the reverse works for Labour even if it isn't (it might well be that 6 people who went to Eton are more in touch than it seems, which would be funny)
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    edited March 2014
    Labours ace in the pack which will out weight four of them(if Scotland votes Yes, Labours battle for election gets ten times harder, though I cannot see the businesses in Scotland let it happen, so it wont)....step forward Nick Clegg. Just think, all those Lib Dem switchers seeing his face night after night, telling them how the Lib Dems has curbed the Tory Party in coalition, winding them up throughout the campaign. The cherry on the cake. What more will remind and re-enforce the Lib Dem to Labour switchers than if we have the TV debates, flash backs of new politics and ending tuition fees will see them jumping headlong into the ballot booth wanting revenge by voting Labour.

• Options

Socrates said:

Surely point five favours Labour? None of the party leaders, or parties, being popular points to a low-turnout, and Labour's party machine appears to be healthier than the Conservative's.
    It's not a matter of popularity, it's a matter of credibility. For all their weaknesses, Clegg and Cameron come over as believable leaders. Ed Miliband does not. As voters get closer to election day they'll think more about about the idea of Prime Minister Miliband and not believe it. Can you really see him flying across the Atlantic to meet President Clinton credibly? It will cost him votes.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

It's not a matter of popularity, it's a matter of credibility. For all their weaknesses, Clegg and Cameron come over as believable leaders. Ed Miliband does not. As voters get closer to election day they'll think more about about the idea of Prime Minister Miliband and not believe it. Can you really see him flying across the Atlantic to meet President Clinton credibly? It will cost him votes.
    President Clinton, do you mean Hilary? Do you lot know something about Ed owning a time machine or something. First Avery said last night that Ed's only chance was winning the 2000 General Election and now he is off to see President Clinton over the pond.
  • Options

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

President Clinton, do you mean Hilary? Do you lot know something about Ed owning a time machine or something. First Avery said last night that Ed's only chance was winning the 2000 General Election and now he is off to see President Clinton over the pond.
    Of course I mean Hillary. Though, to be fair, Miliband might not make it to 2017.
  • Options
    One for Sean T - Mildies are popping the corks tonight. Temperatures in the mid teens next week :-)
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368
    That's a fair summary of the points that have been raised. I don't myself expect much movement in voting intentions between the traditional parties. UKIP's vote is a bit harder - it's inflated quickly, and I wonder if only coming second at the Euros (which I think will hpapen) will deflate them, primarily to the Tory benefit.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Of course I mean Hillary. Though, to be fair, Miliband might not make it to 2017.
    The big problem for Cameron is that Labour percentage will not move much if any. There is nothing there to dislodge the Lib Dem to Labour switchers, in fact the more they see Clegg the more they will harden. So if Labour say slip to 36-37%, to get a Tory majority the Tories need to be in the mid 40's. Where are the 10% + votes going to come from? It would have to see Ukip fall to very small numbers, which I just don't think will happen. The only way I can see Labour not getting a workable majority is for a Scottish Yes vote, which I cannot see happening.
  • Options

The big problem for Cameron is that Labour percentage will not move much if any. There is nothing there to dislodge the Lib Dem to Labour switchers, in fact the more they see Clegg the more they will harden. So if Labour say slip to 36-37%, to get a Tory majority the Tories need to be in the mid 40's. Where are the 10% + votes going to come from? It would have to see Ukip fall to very small numbers, which I just don't think will happen. The only way I can see Labour not getting a workable majority is for a Scottish Yes vote, which I cannot see happening.

If we're talking 2015, I already said I expect Miliband to get most seats. The Tories are screwed, I agree. Cutting the 50% tax lost them a lot of working class votes, the lack of a credible plan on Europe has lost them eurosceptics, and the snoopers charter and other authoritarian crap has lost them right-leaning liberals. Cameron's big push was to get the centre-left luvvies on board, but they were always beyond the Conservatives' reach, to be honest.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    1. Scotland - agreed. Although it's been rightly pointed out that Labour would've won plenty of elections in the past without Scotland, I do think in 2015 specifically losing it would be fatal to their chances of getting a majority, as even the most optimistic Labour supporters are counting on very few gains in southern England.

2. Lib Dem switchers returning or defecting elsewhere again - the only way I can see a big Lib Dem surge is if Vince Cable becomes leader and they thoroughly disown everything they've done over the past 4 years and rule out going into coalition with the Tories again. Luckily for Labour, none of that seems on the cards. Those Lib Dem defectors going elsewhere is theoretically a possibility -- we saw in the Scottish election in 2011 that those former Lib Dems are happy to go elsewhere if there's a party more lefty than Labour on offer. But realistically there's probably too little time for a new leftwing party to break out in the rest of the UK before next year -- the Greens aren't going to do it, and Respect have if anything faded away further since the Bradford byelection.

3. UKIP voters switching to Con - Nope, well established at this point that kippers hate the Tories almost as much as Labour

4. The economy - counterintuitively, I would actually say the Tories' biggest hope is that the global economy gets worse, with another huge crisis (one potentially brewing in China?) -- rightly or wrongly, people prefer the Tories when it comes to "crisis management", so there's a real palpable sense of danger at the next election, like there was last time when the Euro looked on the brink of collapse, then the Tories' line of it being too dangerous to switch over to Labour could resonate. On the other hand, if the recovery is well-established and looks unshakeable, then it makes it much easier for Labour to set the defining question as what type of recovery we want, a Tory recovery with all the spoils going to the rich or a Labour recovery with the poor and middle benefitting.

5. Leadership perception - doubtful. In the Scottish election, there was a MASSIVE gap between Alex Salmond and Iain Gray. But there's little evidence that a very slender gap between leaders, as there is between Ed and Dave, has ever made much of a difference in elections.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

If we're talking 2015, I already said I expect Miliband to get most seats. The Tories are screwed, I agree. Cutting the 50% tax lost them a lot of working class votes, the lack of a credible plan on Europe has lost them eurosceptics, and the snoopers charter and other authoritarian crap has lost them right-leaning liberals. Cameron's big push was to get the centre-left luvvies on board, but they were always beyond the Conservatives' reach, to be honest.
    One of the main problems that the Conservative Party have is they just don't get why the 50% tax cut was a vote loser. With regards the centre-left luvvies, if they have seen their arse with Clegg, how the hell did he expect to win them over? We now have the ironic situation of the only real chance of the Conservative and Unionist Party winning power next time round is if there is a partial break up of the Union. I could quite imagine there will be many Tory activists praying for a Yes vote.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Why are Labour whining about Waitrose giving out free coffee when food banks give out a full 3 course meal ?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    edited March 2014
    Just got in, slightly pissed.. some bloke just spat in my face in a brentwood cab office! Nice!
    And I can almost guarantee you he was far far far to the right of me politically!

All I can say to the left wingers that answered my post on the previous thread is that if you like to live in a country where a significant minority speak another language as their first port of call, then fair enough. I think that's not for me, its not the best way for a country to live in happiness.. what more can I say?

• Options
    edited March 2014

Socrates said:

One of the main problems that the Conservative Party have is they just don't get why the 50% tax cut was a vote loser. With regards the centre-left luvvies, if they have seen their arse with Clegg, how the hell did he expect to win them over? We now have the ironic situation of the only real chance of the Conservative and Unionist Party winning power next time round is if there is a partial break up of the Union. I could quite imagine there will be many Tory activists praying for a Yes vote.
    I think the real upheaval will come in the election after the next one. Assuming Miliband does become PM, does anyone really expect him to be a good one? Even Labourites? Right now his numbers are fluffed up with voters disillusioned with the Lib Dems and the Tories. I could see him fall in the polls quickly. Especially as he won't be able to reverse the cuts. Where do those voters go? Left-leaning ones to the Lib Dems perhaps, but if the Lib Dems are in coalition? I can't see them going to the Tories either. Meanwhile, the constant stream of immigration continues... UKIP could be well placed.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Ukraine:

Russians apparently have ordered all Ukrainian forces out of Crimea.

Will the Ukrainians oblige?
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    isam said:

Just got in, slightly pissed.. some bloke just spat in my face in a brentwood cab office! Nice!
    And I can almost guarantee you he was far far far to the right of me politically!

All I can say to the left wingers that answered my post on the previous thread is that if you like to live in a country where a significant minority speak another language as their first port of call, then fair enough. I think that's not for me, its not the best way for a country to live in happiness.. what more can I say?

Kick the Welsh out of rUK then? :)
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    (FPT) People were talking about learning languages.

I have found that my knowledge and understanding of Spanish has increased significantly in the last few months, since I started fancying the Mexican diver Iván García. Before then, it was only about my 6th language (after English, French, German, Italian and Esperanto). Now it's probably about 4th.
  • Options

Any bets on how long Joanne Dennehy will be sentenced for? Surely she's a shoo-in for an all life tariff?

I can't hep but thinking that her hideous crimes have not had quite enough attention, and her victims enough sympathy.

The problem is that she pleaded guilty, so there wasn't the usual publicity of a full trial. It is interesting that the two crimes for which she expressed regret were the two attempted murders, on the grounds that she had not succeeded in killing more people.

It seems to me that she is bonkers and crazy (as well as evil) whereas Myra Hindley was evil and Rose West was a bit of both.
  • Options
    Michael Crick on Channel 4 news was not asking the important question to Neil Hamilton: Why was he wearing an American tie?

(geeky factoid: American ties have stripes going from top-left to bottom-right;
    European ties have stripes going from top-right to bottom-left)

Did Farage say something about cultural diversity on London trains?
    I have been a candidate in 3 parliamentary by-elections.
    The UKIP candidates in those by-elections were one Asian, one black and one Farage.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    @Socrates
    " Assuming Miliband does become PM, does anyone really expect him to be a good one?"

I don't expect EdM to be any worse than Cameron and he'll be a lot better than Brown which, admittedly, is not saying much. Unlike Gordon he had the courage to fight for the job of leader in the most difficult of family circumstances.

• Options
    An interesting list, but I'm not sure they are threats as some would hope they are. UKIP going back to Con and Labour going back to LibDem won't happen. The economy isn't recovering for ordinary working people so waiting for the recovery to make them feel better and vote Tory is futile.

The two interesting ones are Scotland and Perception. Let's assume that Scotland votes yes. Manna from heaven say the Tories, now we rule England forever. And people think this will have a negative impact on Labour's ability to win seats in England? People vote out of fear more than hope, and fear of the Tories would be amplified by their arrogant crowing post yes vote.

And leadership perception? I think its important but not as much as it once was - people are sick of photogenic vacuous liars. Clegg is a political dead man, Cameron sneers down his nose at people, Milliband looks odd. Could you see him meeting President Clinton someone asked - yes. People don't vote based on how they think the prospective PM will look to foreigners, they vote based on their lives. And again, people are sick of Blair clones. Clegg is one, Cameron tried to be one before the red mist took possession, David Milliband was one. Farage is not.....
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

@Socrates
    " Assuming Miliband does become PM, does anyone really expect him to be a good one?"

I don't expect EdM to be any worse than Cameron and he'll be a lot better than Brown which, admittedly, is not saying much. Unlike Gordon he had the courage to fight for the job of leader in the most difficult of family circumstances.

Agreed, I think he will be formidable and totally badass.

Whether he'll be popular or not is another question though. I could see him out-strategizing the right and staying in power for a decade by divide and rule, to the ever-increasing infuriation of two-thirds of the voters.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I agree. These are largely the antiwar voters annoyed by Blair in 2005.

DH is right with his five fairly low hurdles, so it leaves only the unexpected. Ukraine may oblige here, or Chinas slowdown. UKIP imploding or a change in leadership of any party may oblige.

But really we should prepare for PM Miliband, who will be a middling PM, and Ed Balls who will be a terrible chancellor. Tory infighting will give them a second term.

"Labour gained a substantial portion of 2010 Lib Dems early on in the parliament" Or rather, Labour voters who voted Lib Dem in protest and because they saw them as a left wing alternative (!) went back to their natural home, Labour once they saw through Clegg.

• Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    "By the time of the election, the economy will have been recovering for two years"

200,000 extra people at $40,000 GDP per capita = $8 billion "growth" in GDP

As all three cheeks of the political class are fully committed to unlimited mass immigration against the wishes of the public that number is likely to be at the very lowest end of the range estimate and won't include illegals etc so the actual number per year could be up to double that so

c. $8-16 billion in GDP "growth" per 200,000

c. $40-80 billion in GDP "growth" per million.

All arguments about "growth" based on GDP estimates should subtract the extra GDP being imported via unlimited mass immigration.

"if there aren’t any bumps in the road between now and May 2015. That should have fed through into a nascent feel-good effect"

These threads are like a "spot who doesn't have any relatives on zero hours contracts" game.

• Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    edited March 2014
    A good thread leader. However, I suspect there is one huge one over-riding difference now to anything previously and the implications are far too readily overlooked. It is the fact that no-one (well with one group exception) is thinking about an election. I know that might be a shock to political anoraks (the one group) but truly no-one else is focused on it at all.

The reason is obvious. We now have a fixed term parliament. It doesn't matter how opinion pollsters attempt to force people to think about the question, they aren't. They are not interested. That's right. Even in an era of general malaise to politics they aren't remotely interested in a General Election which is over a year away.

Why does this matter so much? Because the media meme just isn't election orientated. Normally at this point of the cycle we would either have a GE called, or be on the back of six months of speculation, heightening awareness and the febrile atmosphere. The fixed term has, unintentionally, killed remaining interest in politics. It's all irrelevant at the moment. Of course this site must keep soldiering on, and pollsters must battle valiantly but it's meaningless. The polls are meaningless.

To wit, what will happen come next January / February when at last minds begin to focus on the real deal? Will the economy be booming so strongly that it becomes the key driver as the Conservatives turn the screw on Labour? What happens when Boris and Cammo are seen campaigning forcefully together?

But most of all, do you really, really, think Ed Miliband will be thought of as Prime Minister material? I'd put him in that Michael Howard / IDS bracket of little or no hope. Rather like Michael Gove he just doesn't have it with the public and he will be found wanting. I think in the last six weeks of the GE campaign he will be revealed as the British Michael Dukakis, or, indeed, another example of a Neil Kinnock.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,907
    1. YES would change everything. Would deny Labour MPs, but would also probably damage Cameron fatally. A weak PM who oversaw the end of Britain would be his legacy.

2. Only a Cable leadership offers any threat of undoing the damage done by Clegg on tuition fees. No sign of that for some bizarre reason.

3. No sign of the right-wing settling down this side of 2025 let alone 2015. The British tea party is here to stay.

4. A recovering economy didn't help Major very much. With the blame increasingly shared between the two parties and Osborne as popular as herpes, I wouldn't count on this dividend if I were in no11. Change the Chancellor and the Tories might have more of a chance.

5. This is the only one labour need to really worry about. Ed still lacks the popular touch. Like Thatcher in 79 he doesn't look like a PM, and Sunny Jim (Dave) will still be more popular in 2015. But the most successful leaders never really "look like a PM" when they start out. The trick is to get into no10 and then you can change perceptions from there.

• Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited March 2014

@Socrates

Agreed. There have been very few good prime ministers since WWII. There is no reason to expect that Miliband would be any worse or better than the average. Certainly no worse than the dire Cameron. He has extremely low expectations to live up to.

Brown's appallingness was truly exceptional. It is rare was such an obviously unsuitable person to become head of a government.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Potentially. Curious how certain things hit some parties harder than others. I would guess, and I may be wrong, that the Labour manifesto will be written by some bland party hack, probably a former SpAd, equally as out of touch with actual commonality as some Tory toff from Eton, but the Tories attacking Labour for being run by out of touch political elites simply doesn't work even when it is true, whereas the reverse works for Labour even if it isn't (it might well be that 6 people who went to Eton are more in touch than it seems, which would be funny)
    "but the Tories attacking Labour for being run by out of touch political elites simply doesn't work even when it is true, whereas the reverse works for Labour even if it isn't"

It would work if they angled it right. The Con Achilles heel is being seen as a PR company for the City so straightforward attacks on wealth do the trick. The Lab Achilles heel is the quangocracy / nomenklatura i.e. the caste of people who hijacked the welfare state and turned it into their personal (and increasingly hereditary) cradle to gravy train.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    In 2017 this thread needs to be revived so those who thought ed would be a good pm can give us their update. The cuts have to be bigger in the next parliament and he has opposed everyone bought in so far. He will increase taxes and destroy the economy following Hollandes model. People think the 50% cut was a terrible decision. How has our economy done since that decision?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

So, Ukraine eh? Not sure what the commentariat are wanting to happen. Some becry weakness in the face of Putin's blazen actions, others suggest that is the correct course as standing up to Russia directly is not to be done, by implication saying Ukraine is not worth all this. Rough stuff.

Sadly, must to bed immediately though, about to fall asleep at the keyboard. Good night.

The EU's ex Maoist, ex Leninist, ex Stalinist and ex Trotskyist student activists blundered their way into threatening Russia's most, (second-most?), important naval base. It'd be like Russia sponsoring a coup in Portsmouth back before the europhile political class started dismantling Britain's armed forces.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

5. Leadership perception - doubtful. In the Scottish election, there was a MASSIVE gap between Alex Salmond and Iain Gray. But there's little evidence that a very slender gap between leaders, as there is between Ed and Dave, has ever made much of a difference in elections.

Indeed. The Salmond-Gray gap was like watching FC Barcelona duff up Oban Saints AFC by 34 goals to nil. In such circumstances the Scottish electorate would have to be certifiable to give Gray the league trophy. With Cameron and Miliband it is more a shrug of the shoulders and a toss of the coin. Heads you lose; tails you lose.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited March 2014

328 out of 529 seats

323 out of 529 seats

Yes, Sunil. We know that. But it was with a leader and tone that was perceived as much more centrist and appealed to 'Middle England'. People are not saying Labour *can't* win in rUK but that they will need to reposition themselves
  • Options
    It seems that everyone in Labour knew Brown was bonkers, but Ed and Ed backed him anyway. That is a major concern. On the charisma side, I think this overrated, the most highly thought of Labour PM was famously uncharismatic. Miliband is no Attlee though.

I agree with audreyanne that fixed term parliaments have changed a lot of discourse, taking away the possibility of a snap election.

@Socrates

Agreed. There have been very few good prime ministers since WWII. There is no reason to expect that Miliband would be any worse or better than the average. Certainly no worse than the dire Cameron. He has extremely low expectations to live up to.

Brown's appallingness was truly exceptional. It is rare was such an obviously unsuitable person to become head of a government.
  • Options

A good thread leader. However, I suspect there is one huge one over-riding difference now to anything previously and the implications are far too readily overlooked. It is the fact that no-one (well with one group exception) is thinking about an election. I know that might be a shock to political anoraks (the one group) but truly no-one else is focused on it at all.

There is another group currently thinking about an election: the Scots.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Cameron is doing alright as PM. In fact I think he's pretty good. Holding together a coalition isn't easy and he has made a very good job of it, and presided over the economy coming back on track.

I'd put Miliband in the Neil Kinnock category for a reason. He's not in the same league as Gordon Brown in terms of personality malfunction but he's still conniving and slippery. His posturing on points just to massage public opinion suggests a nasty trait of doing and saying anything to look good. That's not leadership. It's unprincipled politicking of student union type. But he's also dangerous because, like Uriah Heap, he jumps in on topics in a way that makes him sound 'every so humble and sincere'. And he will stop at nothing to succeed, even shafting his own brother. Actually because of that I think he's worse than Kinnock. I'm not actually sure we have seen his equivalent in British politics since the Second World War. You can see why the Conservative leadership think he's a c***.

These people are always found out eventually. The key will be whether it happens before the vote or after. That it will happen is inevitable.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    At some point Milliband will have to explain how he is going to turn back the Climate Change..It can only cost Brits more money...just what they need..meanwhile the rest of the world will just carry on as normal.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,072
    isam said:

Sorry to hear you were spat at; that's never pleasant.

I answered your post and disagreed with you; you say that you're an ex-Labour voter, and so I'm probably to the right of you in some ways. As with most things in politics, immigration and languages has far from a perfect left<->right split.

Besides you were using figures of 22% for London, and now saying the entire country?

Last night's thread should be a must-read for anyone interested in the fear that people have about immigration. I mean, a burly man feeling afraid to walk through Whitechapel Market!
  • Options
    I think we have yet to see what Miliband stands for, he is largely holding a near blank sheet of paper that only has one line: "we are not the Tories". I think he will be like Brown, adept at the politics at gaining power but fairly clueless and battered by events once he has gained it. For all his faults it was clear what Blair wanted to do in 1997.

I see him as better than Brown, a fairly low bar, but still an enigma. I do not blame him for standing against his brother, primogeniture is no way to pick a party leader, but he does have an admirable ruthless streak.

Cameron is doing alright as PM. In fact I think he's pretty good. Holding together a coalition isn't easy and he has made a very good job of it, and presided over the economy coming back on track.

I'd put Miliband in the Neil Kinnock category for a reason. He's not in the same league as Gordon Brown in terms of personality malfunction but he's still conniving and slippery. His posturing on points just to massage public opinion suggests a nasty trait of doing and saying anything to look good. That's not leadership. It's unprincipled politicking of student union type. But he's also dangerous because, like Uriah Heap, he jumps in on topics in a way that makes him sound 'every so humble and sincere'. And he will stop at nothing to succeed, even shafting his own brother. Actually because of that I think he's worse than Kinnock. I'm not actually sure we have seen his equivalent in British politics since the Second World War. You can see why the Conservative leadership think he's a c***.

These people are always found out eventually. The key will be whether it happens before the vote or after. That it will happen is inevitable.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    currystar said:

In 2017 this thread needs to be revived so those who thought ed would be a good pm can give us their update. The cuts have to be bigger in the next parliament and he has opposed everyone bought in so far. He will increase taxes and destroy the economy following Hollandes model. People think the 50% cut was a terrible decision. How has our economy done since that decision?

As an aside I've spent a few days in Paris taking the tempature recently. Hollande has performed a complete volte face, at least in word. Everything about entrepreneurs now (what is the French word for that again?).

The fundamental reason why he is so unpopular though us that people voted *against* Sarkozy not for Hollande. I suspect Ed May face the same challenge.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Which PM does Ed remind me of? Not a PM, but a former Labour leader - Michael Foot. Well-meaning, but one who did better when he wasn't on TV too much. As PM, he'll inspire a sycophantic fan club alongside a complete mullering from the media.

Note ... I voted Labour throughout the eighties, but I'd never vote for Ed.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Why anyone should seriously believe anything any politician says is now beyond me. They are all deceitful and only in it for themselves. That said, when the electorate TAKE A LONG HARD LOOK at Miliband they will recoil from putting him into NO 10.
  • Options

I think we have yet to see what Miliband stands for, he is largely holding a near blank sheet of paper that only has one line: "we are not the Tories". I think he will be like Brown, adept at the politics at gaining power but fairly clueless and battered by events once he has gained it. For all his faults it was clear what Blair wanted to do in 1997.

I see him as better than Brown, a fairly low bar, but still an enigma. I do not blame him for standing against his brother, primogeniture is no way to pick a party leader, but he does have an admirable ruthless streak.

It's worse than that: the policies he has been coming up with (e.g. the energy freeze or on housing) are actively dangerous to those sectors. I'm amazed the way so many intelligent Labour supporters ignore that.

He's being a purely reactionary leader: a focus group tells him the public don't like something, and his team daydreams a radical solution. They don't care it won't work and will cause harm; they say it anyway.

His problem will be if he has to try to implement those policies.

His time as head of DECC should act as a warning.
  • Options
    It's good to see a raft of posters below starting to counter Mike's rose-tinted view of Miliband. If the penny doesn't drop for the public before the vote then I think we're in for a pretty dreadful premiership and, as Josias mentions, actually quite dangerous.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    I think there's a vague possibility I may have noted this before but :

Ed Miliband Will Never Be Prime Minister
  • Options
    General secretary Len McCluskey has said he suspected only 10% of Unite's one million members affiliated to the Labour Party would opt to stay in if they were asked now

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2014-03-01/unite-wants-members-engaged-with-grassroots-labour/
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,006
    Good morning, everyone.

Depressingly, Miliband is favourite to become PM after the next election.

Mr. Y0kel, cheers for that rather worrying post.

F1: Mercedes delayed getting out due to changing a high mileage part (precautionary). They've had troubles at every day of the final test so far. However, they've still done (I think) more than twice the laps of Red Bull. The latter team does seem to finally be getting somewhere.

The biggest question marks are perhaps over McLaren and Ferrari. Both have been pretty solid and done a lot of miles. Magnussen could be a challenger for the title. [Hope so, I put a little on him at 50/1].
  • Options
    I think that you are spot on with your second comment. Being elected on an anti-whatever ticket does not cause much of an electoral honeymoon. I remember Major winning in 1992 on a "not Maggie" ticket, but that did not last long, and we can see how that ended. Ditto Brown as "not Blair".

I see Miliband as more like Wilson, tactician rather than grand strategist, with perceptions of enemies all around. I think that because of how he rose to power Miliband will see plots and enemies around himself, probably mostly imagined rather than real. These will handicap his administration as much as "events" and the economy do.
    Charles said:

currystar said:

As an aside I've spent a few days in Paris taking the tempature recently. Hollande has performed a complete volte face, at least in word. Everything about entrepreneurs now (what is the French word for that again?).

The fundamental reason why he is so unpopular though us that people voted *against* Sarkozy not for Hollande. I suspect Ed May face the same challenge.
  • Options
    SNP (partly independence, partly domestic politics) news: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/scottish-politics/10669195/Major-SNP-split-emerges-over-ministers-vitriolic-corroboration-speech.html

Got to say I'm somewhat concerned by this notion that the response to rape convictions being 'too low' is to try and lower the bar for conviction. Victims deserve justice, and the innocent deserve a fair trial. Rape usually (because of the crime's nature) involves one man and one woman in a private place. If court procedures can be altered to make it easier, or at least less harrowing, for victims then that should be done. However, lowering the bar for conviction is no justice at all.

As well as increasing the chances of the innocent being convicted, that means the guilty may be likelier to get away with it (if an innocent man is accused, arrested, charged and convicted the case is closed and the rapist will remain at large).
  • Options
    Ukraine latest - The invasion begins

Russian troops were on the move inside Ukrainian territory on Friday

Russia’s Foreign Ministry confirmed in a statement that armoured units were operating inside Ukraine

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ukraine-latest--the-invasion-begins-armed-russianspeaking-gunmen-with-crimea-in-their-grip-as-barack-obama-warns-moscow-9161476.html
  • Options
    Mr. Dickson, hard to see any military response. The guarantors (according to the news the other day) of Ukraine's territorial integrity are Russia, France, the UK and the US. Obama won't get involved, and it's hard to see us and the frogs alone directly opposing Russia, particularly when they already have forces on the ground and the theatre of operations is so near Russia itself.

Still, Obama and the EU have a Nobel Peace Prize each, so I'm sure they'll make it alright.
  • Options

Mr. Dickson, hard to see any military response. The guarantors (according to the news the other day) of Ukraine's territorial integrity are Russia, France, the UK and the US. Obama won't get involved, and it's hard to see us and the frogs alone directly opposing Russia, particularly when they already have forces on the ground and the theatre of operations is so near Russia itself.

Still, Obama and the EU have a Nobel Peace Prize each, so I'm sure they'll make it alright.

Be careful, according to one Scottish Nationalist it's all Washington and London's fault, with the EU blameless ...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @MrCEssex1: The right wing smear campaign continues against Hewitt,Harman etc. This time planting a story in the Guardian. http://t.co/xGeE2mNX80

Also...

@hugorifkind: My Week: Harriet Harman (£) http://t.co/ff5GlYzoXm
    I went on Newsnight yesterday to clear the air. It’s complete nonsense, I told them, to suggest that my work with the National Council for Civil Liberties was in any way influenced by pie. I mean, it was the 1970s. We were the trendy Left. So there was a lot more fondue.

Gradually, though, I began to realise that they were talking about a different sort of pie. But that wasn’t an influence, either. And this morning I’ve circulated a picture from the Daily Mail of a 12-year-old in a bikini to my 60,000 Twitter followers. That should scotch these suggestions that I’m in any way relaxed about child pornography!
  • Options
    @DPJHodges: On the day Labour attempts to "reconnect people with politics" the party tries to ban free Waitrose coffee.
  • Options
    @Mr_Eugenides: The day after the #IndyRef No, the SNP should seize BBC Scotland and the airports, and call for Norwegian assistance in restoring order.
  • Options
    An interesting piece. Not sure where unionism/seperatism comes into the debate apart from paranoia.

More interesting still was the obituary for Stuart Hall:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/10629087/Stuart-Hall.html

He sounds very prescient, both in his preelection comments in 1979 and 1997, and some of his other writings. It sounds as if his socialogical essays are worth still worth reading.

SNP (partly independence, partly domestic politics) news: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/scottish-politics/10669195/Major-SNP-split-emerges-over-ministers-vitriolic-corroboration-speech.html

Got to say I'm somewhat concerned by this notion that the response to rape convictions being 'too low' is to try and lower the bar for conviction. Victims deserve justice, and the innocent deserve a fair trial. Rape usually (because of the crime's nature) involves one man and one woman in a private place. If court procedures can be altered to make it easier, or at least less harrowing, for victims then that should be done. However, lowering the bar for conviction is no justice at all.

As well as increasing the chances of the innocent being convicted, that means the guilty may be likelier to get away with it (if an innocent man is accused, arrested, charged and convicted the case is closed and the rapist will remain at large).

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    O/T Free Waitrose coffee..does'nt every hairderesser provisde coffee and newspapers-mags..for free... they used to when I needed to visit.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Satisfaction ratings (net) (yes, the questions are slightly different, and it is IPSOS vs YouGov...)

Feb 1996 / 2014
    Govt: -66 / -27
    PM: -40 / -16
    LotO: +19 / -31
    LibD: +16 / -54
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Ed Milliband is no Foot or Kinnock more like a Wilson.

As can be seen today, with the late John Smith wife and Anthony Blair agreeing with his proposed reforms.

Many a conservative as can be seen below, are fighting a re run of the election of 92, I think this will be a big mistake. They should be looking at how to beat a Wilsonesque type of an opponent not a 80s Labour leader.
  • Options
    Mr. Foxinsox, the independence issue is because the minister involved had some sort of ramble about a Tory-led unionist conspiracy being behind those who opposed the proposal.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Russia's meddling in Ukraine has been disgraceful, but given its history I can understand them wanting to take the chance to reclaim the Crimea. Its status as part of Ukraine is an anomaly.

That's not to say that we should stand idly by if we have an option. The problem is that we don't seem to have an option.
  • Options
    @reporterboy: Please please please can a have-been Labour spokesperson denounce the FT Waitrose coffee story as "media froth".
  • Options
    Meanwhile.....there will be no Plan B:

It looks like those calls for a Plan B are falling on deaf ears. Rather, the plan over the next few days is to prove just why Mr Osborne is bluffing.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/columnists/why-plan-a-is-the-only-way-for-salmond.23543641
  • Options
    The FT calls for more from business.....and Labour:

Business is not the only constituency that needs to roll up its sleeves. More is required from Britain’s political leadership. While the Conservatives and the Liberal Democrats have pitched in, they lack support in the key marginal constituencies, particularly in the west of Scotland. The Labour party needs to put its shoulder more firmly behind the unionist campaign.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4be81142-a07a-11e3-8557-00144feab7de.html#ixzz2uhRMXYfi
  • Options
    Waitrose must be delighted to have the advantages of their loyalty scheme advertised. You can't buy that kind of publicity.
  • Options

Meanwhile.....there will be no Plan B:

It looks like those calls for a Plan B are falling on deaf ears. Rather, the plan over the next few days is to prove just why Mr Osborne is bluffing.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/columnists/why-plan-a-is-the-only-way-for-salmond.23543641

Eck's "heavyweight" committee are going to affirm that staying in the union is Scotland's best option.

Awesome.
  • Options
    @blairmcdougall: With 200 days until #indyref new YouGov poll shows @UK_Together up as growing majority want Scotland to remain in UK. Y35 N53 #nocomplacency
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Storm in a coffee cup. Costa Miliband.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Waitrose must be delighted to have the advantages of their loyalty scheme advertised. You can't buy that kind of publicity.

I wonder how quickly they could get a mobile coffee cart outside the venue?
  • Options
    Project Cuckoo.....

Earlier this week, Mr Swinney published analysis about what would happen if, in the event of a Yes vote, Westminster held its line on not having a currency union. This, he pointed out, would lead to those living south of the Border having an extra £130 billion of debt dumped on them, resulting in around £5bn a year in additional interest payments and equivalent to a penny on income tax.

Then, Mr Salmond argued that if a currency union were agreed between Edinburgh and London, the good folk of England, Wales and Northern Ireland would not have a say on such a matter through their own referendum.

The words land, cloud and cuckoo spring to mind. The idea that all three main Westminster parties, having firmly rejected a currency/monetary/banking union, then, after a Yes vote, suddenly cave in, blithely change their minds and agree to one without seeking the mandate of the people of the UK, is for the birds.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/columnists/inside-track-three-key-issues-that-will-unlock-the-future.23541929
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Scott_P said:

@blairmcdougall: With 200 days until #indyref new YouGov poll shows @UK_Together up as growing majority want Scotland to remain in UK. Y35 N53 #nocomplacency

The last YouGov on 5th of Feb was Yes 34 No 52, so no change.
  • Options
    Miliband's Costa Living Crisis.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    -------------------------- Diplomacy, PB game looking for one more player -----------

77399. PB 2014 Mk2 Diplomacy game needs a final player

http://www.playdiplomacy.com

"Mollusc" whoever he was has decided its not for him.

Very simple rules http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0RLSs7IL9 very fun though.

Liberal 3 day/2 day/2 day deadlines so no rush either.

Password is OGH
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,970
    edited March 2014
    A few random thoughts:

Hollande's main problem is one that faces all French presidents that win power - the absolute refusal of a large number of French voters to face reality. He did not win because he was the anti-Sarkozy, he won because he told them what they wanted to hear. If you look at what the FN is saying now it is essentially the same thing: you can keep your short working hours, long holidays, guaranteed holidays, great pensions etc. Where they differ from Hollande 2012 is that they say France's problems are all the fault of immigrants and the EU.

I don't think we live in the same kind of country. And I think that because of FPTP voters here do tend to be more "anti" than "pro" when casting their ballots. That actually gives governments a bit of leeway. People here broadly accept that public spending has to come down, the issue is much more about how it is done. That gives EdM a lot of wriggle room. I don't think he is dangerous. I think he is totally uninspiring as a leader. However, he has identified issues that go to the heart of why so many people feel so dissatisfied with things, even if his solutions are not the best.

I have believed we'll get another hung Parliament after GE 2015 since the autumn of 2010 and I see no reason to change my mind. Around 35% of voters in England are first and foremost implacable, left of centre, anti-Tories and because of the Coalition the LDs are no longer an option for them. In Wales that figure is higher, in Scotland it is higher still but the referendum and the SNP muddy the water - and I'd expect Labour to lose a few seats there in 2015, whether Yes or No wins. Putting all that together, this means Labour will win more votes than it did in 2010 and will probably win most seats. But not enough for a majority.
  • Options
    But earlier this week, pb's Greek chorus of cybernats were telling us that Plan B had always been stark staring obvious. I look forward to their explanation as to why the absence of a Plan B is entirely consistent with this.

Calling the Yes campaign a shambles on this point is to insult your ordinary hard-working shambles.
  • Options
    It is worth noting that Wilson won 4 elections, possibly the best since Gladstone.
    Yorkcity said:

Ed Milliband is no Foot or Kinnock more like a Wilson.

As can be seen today, with the late John Smith wife and Anthony Blair agreeing with his proposed reforms.

Many a conservative as can be seen below, are fighting a re run of the election of 92, I think this will be a big mistake. They should be looking at how to beat a Wilsonesque type of an opponent not a 80s Labour leader.

• Options
    I got that bit. I couldnt understand how it was a Unionist conspiracy to maintain the Scottish legal system. It just sounded like a paranoiac who sees every issue through a Yes campaign prism.

Mr. Foxinsox, the independence issue is because the minister involved had some sort of ramble about a Tory-led unionist conspiracy being behind those who opposed the proposal.

• Options
    Ed isn't the crema in Waitrose coffee.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    On topic, David's' points are irrelevant the big predictor of the government is the colour of the league champions shirts. With David Moyes in place Cameron's nailed on.
  • Options
    @PickardJE: Interesting comments under my Waitrose Labour scoop in FT http://t.co/vWKVVHMiW8
  • Options

It just sounded like a paranoiac who sees every issue through a Yes campaign prism.

It's not like we ever see that here, is it?

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@PickardJE: Interesting comments under my Waitrose Labour scoop in FT http://t.co/vWKVVHMiW8

It is classic Labour though - defending producer (coffee shop owner) rather than consumer (shopper) interests - in any case, surely the free Waitrose coffee/newspaper has helped in the 'Costa Living Crisis'?

• Options
    edited March 2014
    I find comparing Miliband to Wilson problematic. I never much liked Wilson (who did apart from the unions?) and he certainly shared the ability to connive and collude but he was still a heavyweight. I might not have liked his politics but I never listened to him and thought 'oh dearie me.' When I heard Miliband's leadership victory speech I felt like one of the audience to Marlin's joke in Finding Nemo. See their expressions around 30s? ;)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRad4Y3FPdM

Miliband is younger at the same stage but can I see him ever having Wilson's gravitas? You must be joking, right?

As said below, he simply isn't Prime Minister material.
  • Options
    By the way, to Scott, I loathe the Hate Mail and its smears but they were onto something with this PIE story and if you watch the following day's Newsnight you will see just how much of a mess up the BBC admitted to, and how Harman had to retract a lot of what she said.
    The only real defence is to say that people thought differently in the 1970's about a lot of things and permitting a paedophile pressure group to have influence was one of them. Trying to re-write history just makes Harman look a fool.
  • Options
    one of the comments from Kirkbride 2...

Better get used to going to coffee shop # 1 and queue for an hour for a cup of National Café Service coffee if Labour gets in next time
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

one of the comments from Kirkbride 2...

Better get used to going to coffee shop # 1 and queue for an hour for a cup of National Café Service coffee if Labour gets in next time

Finally Labour have a policy for the manifesto. Nationalise Starbucks!
  • Options
    I was quite young when Wilson was PM, but he was not too bad, and also benefited from having the unlikeable Ted Heath as his opponent. Wilson did have a very capable cabinet though, much more heavyweight than Labours current front bench.

I find comparing Miliband to Wilson problematic. I never much liked Wilson (who did apart from the unions?) and he certainly shared the ability to connive and collude but he was still a heavyweight. I might not have liked his politics but I never listened to him and thought 'oh dearie me.' When I heard Miliband's leadership victory speech I felt like one of the audience to Marlin's joke in Finding Nemo. See their expressions around 30s? ;)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRad4Y3FPdM

Miliband is younger at the same stage but can I see him ever having Wilson's gravitas? You must be joking, right?

As said below, he simply isn't Prime Minister material.

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,970
    antifrank said:

But earlier this week, pb's Greek chorus of cybernats were telling us that Plan B had always been stark staring obvious. I look forward to their explanation as to why the absence of a Plan B is entirely consistent with this.

Calling the Yes campaign a shambles on this point is to insult your ordinary hard-working shambles.

One thing is clear: the Yes side has not lost support, despite the clear incoherence of its position.

What Swinney now seems to have said is that unless Scotland gets a currency union after independence it will unilaterally declare independence. That is totally extraordinary and would be an utter catastrophe for Scotland. But if the SNP can convince enough voters otherwise, Yes wins. That's all nationalists really care about. For them an independent Scotland excluded from membership of all international bodies, unable to access funding on the markets except at penal rates and subject to trade tariffs in its single biggest export market (so that Scotland's UK debt contributions can be paid) are preferable to remaining part of the UK. But that's nationalism for you. At its heart it is always a reactionary credo.

• Options
    New MOD Summary for Indyref:

In the event of vote in favour of leaving the UK, Scotland would become an entirely new state. Companies based in an independent Scottish state would therefore no longer be eligible for contracts that the UK chose to place or compete domestically for national security reasons; this would also apply to Scotland-based subsidiaries of UK companies. Where they could continue to compete they would be pitching for business against other international competitors.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/285961/Scotland_infographics_26022014.pdf

No doubt 'statement of the bleeding obvious' will be denounced as bullying and bluster.......
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    edited March 2014

Scott_P said:

It is classic Labour though - defending producer (coffee shop owner) rather than consumer (shopper) interests - in any case, surely the free Waitrose coffee/newspaper has helped in the 'Costa Living Crisis'?

worse Carlotta

Ed sides with tax dodging multinational Starbucks against UK worker-owned Waitrose.

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Ed sides with tax dodging multinational Starbucks against UK worker-owned Waitrose.

Wait until the dailies get wind of this....
  • Options

antifrank said:

What Swinney now seems to have said is that unless Scotland gets a currency union after independence it will unilaterally declare independence. That is totally extraordinary and would be an utter catastrophe for Scotland. But if the SNP can convince enough voters otherwise, Yes wins. That's all nationalists really care about. For them an independent Scotland excluded from membership of all international bodies, unable to access funding on the markets except at penal rates and subject to trade tariffs in its single biggest export market (so that Scotland's UK debt contributions can be paid) are preferable to remaining part of the UK. But that's nationalism for you. At its heart it is always a reactionary credo.
    I wonder if the SNP's panel of economic experts might be tempted to offer a view on the wisdom of unilaterally abrogating Scotland's share of debt? I see they have a Professor from Mid-West USA who seems sympathetic to their view on the consequences of rUK as continuing state (sole responsibility for the debt) - but that does seem to be very much a minority opinion.....
  • Options

Scott_P said:

worse Carlotta

True - I had wondered where these 'struggling local coffee shops' were......

This discussion has been closed.