Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview: February 27th 2014

SystemSystem Posts: 11,703
edited February 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview: February 27th 2014

Result of by-election held on December 19th 2013: Non Party Independent 529 (51%), Conservative 219 (21%), Liberal Democrats 148 (14%), United Kingdom Independence Party 138 (13%) (Non Party Independent GAIN from Conservative)

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Slightly confused. How many seats in this ward?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Britain should keep open possibility of joining euro, says Labour frontbencher

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/26/britain-possibility-joining-euro-labour-frontbencher
  • Options
    Cheers for this, Mr. Hayfield.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    edited February 2014
    FPT
    kle4 said:

» show previous quotes
    Like the coming of the tides, I doubt we'll have to wait long.

I must say, I really am supportive of backbenchers not being pushovers, but these Tory ones seem like the most unpleasable and miserable bunch ever conceived.

MickPorkYou don't perhaps think their trust and gullibility has been well and truly tested to destruction many, many times before now? Oh I'm 100% certain there is a small hardcore that would like nothing better than to see Cammie humiliated at every turn but let's be realistic here. It's not just a small hardcore any more nor can all the endless posturing and pledges be easily forgotten. It's a two way street and they have good reason to be miserable if they keep believing the spin. The BOOers will never trust Cammie but we know it's not just them. Syria was not out of the blue. His own backbenchers warned him. Syria was also just the last time since there's plenty of other times. So yes you are quite correct. These tory backbenchers seem like the most unpleasable and miserable bunch ever conceived. But there's a reason they are that way and I'm afraid Cammie and the chumocracy can hardly pretend that reason is nothing to do with them.

That is true. I would certainly agree with Cameron regarding the core intransigents, in that my views are far closer to his than theirs, but ultimately he is responsible for having no control over his own party, and the numbers and variety of those ranging from total opposition to him to willingness to humiliate him, shows he has no grip on them at all.
  • Options
    Only 2 candidates? Boo.
  • Options
    Indeed, Mr. kle4. Even though I think we should leave the backbenchers sometimes give the impression of having the self-control and strategic foresight of a six month old.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @ianssmart: SNP reaction to Standard Life issue is hugely revealing. Most of the diehards would genuinely not mind starving for their flag. Fair enough
  • Options

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/26/britain-possibility-joining-euro-labour-frontbencher

Err, no.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    FPT

@AveryLP‌

Another corking set of results from RBS Mr Pole. So how's getting that £46bn back for the taxpayer going ?

Mr. Brooke

I have been trying very hard to avoid answering your comment but the queue seems to have disappeared and I can only see a Warwickshire malcontent glowering.

I don't think we need to get too excited by the RBS results. Underlying profitablility is sound and the additional (non-cash flow) impairment provisions are necessary to further prepare the bank for flotation and division.

You should note that even the greatest managers have to take such hard decisions. Even St George has felt it necessary to take a £13.9 billion net provision in this year's UK National Accounts to reflect a mark down to market prices of the assets purchased by the Bank of England as part of the Quantitative Easing programme.

The legacy left by Labour is costly, Mr. Brooke and the costs, though reducing in aggregate, are still with us.

You want Ed to manage RBS?
  • Options

Err, no.
    Well, maybe a recheck every 50 years or so? Just in case the unthinkable occurs?
  • Options
    We are shite.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,913
    kle4 said:

Only 2 candidates? Boo.

Which reminds me. What is a BOOer please? (In the Tory backbench context, when the SNP MPs and Mr Balls aren't speaking, that is.)

• Options
    AveryLP said:

The guy who doesn't know how headphones work?

@JohnRentoul: Ed Balls, wearing his headphones upside down. Via @ianpatterson99 & @stephentall http://t.co/JlrSHIK7oH
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@ianssmart: SNP reaction to Standard Life issue is hugely revealing. Most of the diehards would genuinely not mind starving for their flag. Fair enough

Would he be this chappie by any chance? If so, not the most unbiased commentator.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/ian-smart-is-worse-than-a-racist-says-brother-1-2924947

• Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530

Err, no.
    It's just posturing. It happens every time Cammie manages to infuriate his own backbenches. Which is pretty regularly now.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Only 2 candidates? Boo.

Which reminds me. What is a BOOer please? (In the Tory backbench context, when the SNP MPs and Mr Balls aren't speaking, that is.)

Better Off Out (of the EU)
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    @Avery

given his utterings maybe Ed will do a better job on RBS than George. He's more likely to just break it up.

Despite your best attempts to polish the turd, on today's results we'd need a multiple of about 20 to get the taxpayer back to par. Ambitious to say the least.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Err, no.

We are shite.

Err,yes,according to labour front bencher,yes in the lords though ;-)
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Only 2 candidates? Boo.

Ah! Thank you very much.
  • Options

@Avery

given his utterings maybe Ed will do a better job on RBS than George. He's more likely to just break it up.

Despite your best attempts to polish the turd, on today's results we'd need a multiple of about 20 to get the taxpayer back to par. Ambitious to say the least.

As a matter of genuine interest, do you have an informed opinion on the law suit over the shares issue? I have to deal with the bumf on it for an elderly relative.

• Options
    smithersjones2013smithersjones2013 Posts: 740
    edited February 2014

Europhiliac former Blairite EU SPAD and EU gravy train insider repeats the same old garbage he's been spouting for 20 years. Go figure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Liddle
  • Options

We are shite.

So are the rest of English/welsh sides in European competitions this season ;-)

• Options
    Carnyx said:

@Avery

As a matter of genuine interest, do you have an informed opinion on the law suit over the shares issue? I have to deal with the bumf on it for an elderly relative.

In which context ? Is your relative a minority shareholder in RBS ?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

AveryLP said:

@JohnRentoul: Ed Balls, wearing his headphones upside down. Via @ianpatterson99 & @stephentall http://t.co/JlrSHIK7oH
    Perhaps he didn't want to mess his hair up or needed extra support for his double chin?
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Europhiliac former Blairite EU SPAD and EU gravy train insider repeats the same old garbage he's been spouting for 20 years. Go figure.

Well he's on one of ed's/labours front benches,go figure.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

"@chrisdeerin: Heeheehee RT @bobscartoons: Merkel meets the Queen. Tomorrow's @Telegraph cartoon pic.twitter.com/YJfUwbLrQy"

— Mark Tyrrell UKIP (@MarkTyrrellUKIP) February 27, 2014
  • Options
    I see from the number of Labour figures on this council that with the GE looking pretty decent and years of gains, Labour see no need to put any effort in in the Con-LD council areas. Save that effort for the Con-LD Parliament marginals I guess.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

"@chrisdeerin: Heeheehee RT @bobscartoons: Merkel meets the Queen. Tomorrow's @Telegraph cartoon pic.twitter.com/YJfUwbLrQy"

— Mark Tyrrell UKIP (@MarkTyrrellUKIP) February 27, 2014
    Very good indeed.In his defence, few leaders in Europe would do otherwise, particularly when they need her as desperately as Cameron does.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

@Avery

A very minority one, who was sold shares in the final share issue which the action group reckons was not fully informed.

• Options

Scott_P said:

AveryLP said:

Perhaps he didn't want to mess his hair up or needed extra support for his double chin?
    I think it notable Balls and Osborne are both sporting their headphones in unconventional fashions (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26374698) - I knew I couldn't trust those two weirdos. ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2014

@Avery

Well RBS has knocked Lloyds down with it but LBG is still around (0.80 per share from recent peak of c. £0.86, (Treasury breakeven c. £0.71). So I doubt George will be selling another tranche of Lloyds this fiscal year. He may be waiting for Lloyds's TSB IPO scheduled for May before selling.

Reason I mention Lloyds is twofold:

1. Recovering value of the original taxpayer investment is as much time related as 'multiples' driven. RBS is probably trading well below its real value and its underlying profits prospects are probably much higher than £2-3 bn recorded this year. So give RBS a couple more years and the extent of the payback will be clearer and easier to predict.

2. Lloyds is sailing and will pay dividends this year even if George decides not to sell. So dividend income and/or 'profits' made on the disposal of Lloyds shares may end up balancing the overall books.

As for breaking up the banks, you can't do this unless the resulting bits are sellable. But Ed wouldn't understand that. Don't let him anywhere near the decision, Mr. Brooke.

I would rather have Pork as PM.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

@Avery

A very minority one, who was sold shares in the final share issue which the action group reckons was not fully informed.

I wasn't a shareholder so I'm not really that up to speed. However from the outside I'd say the board has a case to answer. These cases however tend to move at a lawyerly pace so I doubt there will be a quick outcome.
  • Options
    splutter.
  • Options
    Mr. Scrapheap, are you alright?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
    FPT, Avery LP, my firm no longer does criminal law. If it did, I would defend a client charged with sexual offences against minors.

I would not argue that sexual acts between adults and minors should be lawful. Nor would I link up with an organisation that campaigned for such legalisation.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789

@Avery

I don't doubt it, comrade. I am available at the right price if you would like me to have a gentle word with George.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Only 2 candidates? Boo.

Would turn Gibraltar into a non-EU enclave. Which could be interesting!

• Options
    edited February 2014
    AveryLP said:

@Avery

Well RBS has knocked Lloyds down with it but LBG is still around (0.80 per share from recent peak of c. £0.86, (Treasury breakeven c. £0.71). So I doubt George will be selling another tranche of Lloyds this fiscal year. He may be waiting for Lloyds's TSB IPO scheduled for May before selling.

1. Recovering value of the original taxpayer investment is as much time related as 'multiples' driven. RBS is probably trading well below its real value and its underlying profits prospects are probably much higher than £2-3 bn recorded this year. So give RBS a couple more years and the extent of the payback will be clearer and easier to predict.

2. Lloyds is sailing and will pay dividends this year even if George decides not to sell. So dividend income and/or 'profits' made on the disposal of Lloyds shares may end up balancing the overall books.

As for breaking up the banks, you can't do this unless the resulting bits are sellable. But Ed wouldn't understand that. Don't let him anywhere near the decision, Mr. Brooke.

Ah Pole dancing I see. :-)

Time is money Avery old bean and there's no way in the short or medium term the taxpayer is getting his money off RBS. The Bank of Mordor may be a different matter.

I'm afraid with RBS we've burned the cash and it's not coming back, a range of smaller banks from RBS would serve the economy much better. And as for a sale or float I thought that's what you London chappies were paid extortion fees for. If you're stuck I'll do it from the Midlands pro bono.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

FPT, Avery LP, my firm no longer does criminal law. If it did, I would defend a client charged with sexual offences against minors.

I would not argue that sexual acts between adults and minors should be lawful. Nor would I link up with an organisation that campaigned for such legalisation.

Sean

Would that be a personal decision (and a defence of the right for individual solicitors/firms to decline) or one you would argue all solicitors and their firms should follow?

• Options
    edited February 2014

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

@Avery

I wasn't a shareholder so I'm not really that up to speed. However from the outside I'd say the board has a case to answer. These cases however tend to move at a lawyerly pace so I doubt there will be a quick outcome.
    Many thanks; duly advised. Fortunately the relative is more interested in his greenhouse than worrying about this.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

@Avery

Ah Pole dancing I see. :-)

Time is money Avery old bean and there's no way in the short or medium term the taxpayer is getting his money off RBS. The Bank of Mordor may be a different matter.

I'm afraid with RBS we've burned the cash and it's not coming back, a range of smaller banks from RBS would serve the economy much better. And as for a sale or float I thought that's what you London chappies were paid extortion fees for. If you're stuck I'll do it from the Midlands pro bono.
    I trust you are a member of the BONUS union, Mr Brooke?

My membership list suggests there are no members to be found between Watford and Edinburgh.

• Options
    Never in dou......
  • Options

No.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
    AveryLP said:

Sean_F said:

Sean

Would that be a personal decision (and a defence of the right for individual solicitors/firms to decline) or one you would argue all solicitors and their firms should follow?

My own view is that you take your clients as you find them. Solicitors are officers of the Court, so there are rules against lying on behalf of a client, and other forms of unethical conduct, but subject to that, you defend them as best you can. If a client admits guilt to you, you can't argue for their innocence, but you can require the Prosecution to prove their case.

Subject to anti-discrimination legislation, solicitors' firms can accept or reject any client.
  • Options
    Mr. Scrapheap, perhaps some wine would fortify your health and embolden your spirit?
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

GeoffM said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Only 2 candidates? Boo.

I'm not sure it will be very interesting at all. In fact it will be very predictable.

The border was closed from 1969 - 1985 so many of us have already lived for a significant period of our lives reliant on goods brought in by sea. We've maintained complete independence in terms of water and electricity since then (just in case) so a renewed Spanish blockade would be deja vu.

The Spanish will close the border and the air routes again and we'll0 just settle back into siege mode again. Only hopefully this time the whole Rock won't have to keep switching between butter and margarine depending on which supply ship came in last.

• Options

Britain should keep open possibility of joining euro, says Labour frontbencherk

Problem is that if you say never, then, and if, circumstances change, you end up looking like a complete Cammieclegg.

The US $ is very dodgy, I don't think we should use that currency as an alternative, the rouble, yuan and yen have their own problems. I really don't think Salmond's fantasy currency plan is going to fly either.

So, if a new currency comes along, do we say, "our pound has done us well since time immemorial, we are going to stick our heads up our backsides" or are we going to see what possibilities there may be.

Let us consider that in the event of a currency union of whatever kind, who would actually be disadvantaged : obviously, the currency exchangers and speculators will be out of a job.

I can buy through PayPal, from any where in the world, with a very good result, goods and delivery. Believe it or not, it is a UK company (only 1) that is causing me problems. A minor, although annoying cost is the exchange rate. As more people buy and sell their products and services across the globe, then there will be a lot of pressure for a single currency.

Now, this may seem difficult to understand, but do we use a currency used by 60 million in one country, or do we use a one in use by 300 million to a billion people that we could just possibly have an input into.

I can actually remember the change from £sd to £p. We had been warned that it would take 6 months, it actually took, practically, 24 hours.
  • Options
    @Scrapheap.

Paddy Power ‏@paddypower 1m

If Soldado fell into a barrel of tits right now he'd come up sucking his own thumb.
  • Options

No.
    Is this the right time to argue the cause of the Russian East of the Ukraine, Scrapheap?

• Options
    Sean_F said:

AveryLP said:

Sean_F said:

Sean

My own view is that you take your clients as you find them. Solicitors are officers of the Court, so there are rules against lying on behalf of a client, and other forms of unethical conduct, but subject to that, you defend them as best you can. If a client admits guilt to you, you can't argue for their innocence, but you can require the Prosecution to prove their case.

Subject to anti-discrimination legislation, solicitors' firms can accept or reject any client.
    Thanks, Sean.

I know the difficulties second hand having shared a big chunk of my life with a family law barrister who ended up specialising in child abuse cases (on both sides).

It is not easy work.

• Options
    Edin_Rokz said:

the globe, then there will be a lot of pressure for a single currency.

Now, this may seem difficult to understand, but do we use a currency used by 60 million in one country, or do we use a one in use by 300 million to a billion people that we could just possibly have an input into.

I can actually remember the change from £sd to £p. We had been warned that it would take 6 months, it actually took, practically, 24 hours.
    GeoffM said:

BobaFett said:

I'm not sure it will be very interesting at all. In fact it will be very predictable.

The border was closed from 1969 - 1985 so many of us have already lived for a significant period of our lives reliant on goods brought in by sea. We've maintained complete independence in terms of water and electricity since then (just in case) so a renewed Spanish blockade would be deja vu.

The Spanish will close the border and the air routes again and we'll0 just settle back into siege mode again. Only hopefully this time the whole Rock won't have to keep switching between butter and margarine depending on which supply ship came in last.

I'd love to visit Geoff - never been. I'm fascinated by this avaricious obsession the Spanish have with the place. I understand they still sometimes close the border today. It's now the only controlled border in Western Europe. An interesting place.

• Options
    Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics · 45 secs
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead now five points: CON 34%, LAB 39%, LD 8%, UKIP 12%

• Options

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead now five points: CON 34%, LAB 39%, LD 8%, UKIP 12%

Dropping by the day!

• Options
    Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 1m

• Options

Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 1m

Old news!

• Options
    Mr. Eagles, still can't believe the Lib Dems are on 8%. It's almost smaller than the margin between Labour and the Conservatives.

Anyway, having hit the word count I'm off to reward myself with some orange jelly.
  • Options
    Edin_Rokz said:

The US $ is very dodgy, I don't think we should use that currency as an alternative, the rouble, yuan and yen have their own problems. I really don't think Salmond's fantasy currency plan is going to fly either.

So, if a new currency comes along, do we say, "our pound has done us well since time immemorial, we are going to stick our heads up our backsides" or are we going to see what possibilities there may be

There isn't really any currency* that has any real value - the US dollar is being devalued to death, Sterling drowning on a sea of debt, the Euro is finished in its current form. You could argue that Scotland would be nuts to web itself to a currency like Sterling that faces so many problems.

*The exception is the Yuan, with China buying thousands of tons of discounted gold in the recent price crash engineered (once again) by the central banks to bail out the (once again) broken bullion banks. None of the various kinds of fiat scrip have any more value than the faith given to it by its users and the government who insists on receiving tax payments in it. But they are currency, not money. Money is gold and silver.
  • Options
    Ok - time to do some work...

Cross-over tonight too?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Indeed, Mr. kle4. Even though I think we should leave the backbenchers sometimes give the impression of having the self-control and strategic foresight of a six month old.

Which is why they remain backbenchers, one surmises
  • Options
    edited February 2014

I'd love to visit Geoff - never been. I'm fascinated by this avaricious obsession the Spanish have with the place. I understand they still sometimes close the border today. It's now the only controlled border in Western Europe. An interesting place.

I must confess still to getting confused about the whole situation about Gibraltar, as the description I often see about it is that the Spanish 'dispute sovereignty' of the place, which makes it sound like a Falklands type dispute, when despite disputes about the exact extent of and interpretation of the treaty regarding Gibraltar, I always thought they didn't actually dispute the sovereignty in legal terms, they just think it should be given back. That is, they want it back, but don't have the reasoning the argentines (correct or not) use to actually formally demand it back, which if they disputed the sovereignty of they would, right? I don't know.

We really need to teach more of the details in schools. But then again, my school never even touched upon the British Civil Wars for goodness sake.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Fascinating prog on BBC2 about the great British architecture of the Noughties and on. I find myself, oddly, cheering Ken Livingstone for pushing through the planning on the Gherkin, et al.

London has been returned to its status as - maybe - the greatest city in the world - by an eerie combination of lefty politicians and Tory moneymen.

I'm a big fan of the Gherkin I must say, and the Shard, despite my sometimes sneeting attitude toward modern architecture. Not just purely Tory moneymen behind the status lift though, surely? True moneymen know no nation or political affilation I would guess.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    BobaFett said:

GeoffM said:

BobaFett said:

You'd be very welcome and I'd be delighted to buy you a drink; as I would any PBer passing through here on holiday or on business.

That is unless you were a member of the Labour government which went behind the back of the people of Gib and tried to give us to the Spanish against our will. Yes NPxMP, I'm talking about you.

{EDIT: to try to fix or at least organise the blockquotes}
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Fascinating prog on BBC2 about the great British architecture of the Noughties and on. I find myself, oddly, cheering Ken Livingstone for pushing through the planning on the Gherkin, et al.

London has been returned to its status as - maybe - the greatest city in the world - by an eerie combination of lefty politicians and Tory moneymen.

Livingstone was a swashbuckling entrepreneur with the London skyline - he made his mark.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

BobaFett said:

GeoffM said:

BobaFett said:

You'd be very welcome and I'd be delighted to buy you a drink; as I would any PBer passing through here on holiday or on business.

That is unless you were a member of the Labour government which went behind the back of the people of Gib and tried to give us to the Spanish against our will. Yes NPxMP, I'm talking about you.

Not a member of any party, never mind a government @GeoffM
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Anna Soubry on QT tonight, for eager followers of Broxtowe.
    GeoffM said:

BobaFett said:

GeoffM said:

BobaFett said:

• Options
    Edin_Rokz said:

Well I've not bothered responding to the rest of your rather meandering piece because the crux of it comes down to the highlighted paragraph that your analysis doesn't do justice to because the real question is.

Do we use a currency used by 60 million which is controlled totally by ourselves and can always be used in our interests or do we use one used by hundreds of millions of people that requires a consensus of multiple nations to control and at anyone time may be used in a manner that is against an individual nations best interests (much as it has been used in manner that is against the interests of the PIGS countries in recent years).

Of course until the whole globe adopts the Euro (I will not be holding my breath) there will continue to be the inconvenience of exchange rate commission to be paid. In my view, for this country that's a small price to be paid to ensure that little old UK with its paltry population of 60 million keeps total control over its financial future.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

BobaFett said:

GeoffM said:

BobaFett said:

I do hope UKIP have been delivering leaflets in Broxtowe again. Its so much fun watching the soon to be former MP of Broxtowe spit her dummy out and talk drivel.......

• Options
    It's a shame both of them can't lose.

GeoffM said:

BobaFett said:

GeoffM said:

BobaFett said:

• Options
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

I'm a big fan of the Gherkin I must say, and the Shard, despite my sometimes sneeting attitude toward modern architecture. Not just purely Tory moneymen behind the status lift though, surely? True moneymen know no nation or political affilation I would guess.
    It's not just Tory moneymen and it's not just lefty pols, but that unique combination was behind many or most of the brilliant buildings that have transformed London since 1995.

I love the Gherkin and the Shard. The Shard is like some miracle. It has, by itself, given London's skyline the most extraordinary, world class Wow factor - I think it is up there with the Eiffel Tower in iconicity and pzazz.

I heard a story the other day (was it on pb?) of a bunch of provincial kids on a bus coming to London - 30 miles out they were crowding to the windows saying "the Shard! the Shard!" - I can well believe it.

I drove the A2 the other day and from northern Kent the Shard is this glittering and Arthurian crystal sword, towards which the A2 is inexorably headed. It is mystical.
    The Walkie Talkie physically attacks people though, which is impressive in its way of course.

I actually think a balance between all skyscapers and no skyscapers is quite a good one. Gives it some character even as things change (I recall reading a piece about Mecca destroying a lot of historic buildings without a care, in one sad example). Certainly as much as I do not think I could live in London - too much of a small town lad - it is a hugely compelling place visually, aided by such modern ministrations. London needs to be a city both historical and timeless, not easy to pull off.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Ukraine: Oh so predictable

No one can be surprised by events in the Crimea in the last 24-36 hours. That the Ukrainians made a go of suggesting the UN turn up in Crimea is an indication of how keen they were to head off the actions now taking place. The build up of Russian military activity since Sunday in Crimea and around Ukraine's eastern borders was spotted a mile away.

When you get Russian officials suggesting they are talking to the Ukraine military (the government being bypassed) about restoring order you do wonder. Bearing in mind the man the ousted President put in charge of the Ukrainian Army after the former Chief of Staff refused to put tanks on the street is still in that post it all starts to look tricky.

The problem for Kiev is that they cant just sit and watch and they aren't but are in a position where to restore some kind of order down in Crimea means a likely head top head with ever enlarging Russian forces. They are putting security forces around the Crimea (but not in it) and I'd find it doubtful that the Maidan activists will take what looks to be brewing laying down.

Ukrainians in Crimea have called on Kiev for protection, elements in the Tatar community have called out to Turkey for the same.

The irony of all this is that though there is the popular oversimplification that this is a Pro Europe vs Pro Russia conflict stoked by ethnic divisions one of the protesters' primary causes for going on the street was that they'd had enough of the corrupt state, the suppression of democratic process and associated liberal society right and the feeling that they had tied to the yoke of Russia. What drove many many people was that they wanted democracy and liberal democratic principles in their truest sense.

Now, however, it is very much much about pro and anti Russian sentiment.

Ousted President reportedly in Rostov, not too far from the South Eastern border of Ukraine. Still president apparently. Who says? Russian officials.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    It looks like the sun as taken the baton from the mail.

Friday's Sun front page - "Labour chiefs: It's ok to have sex with 10-yr-olds" #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers pic.twitter.com/XaLhd4jGd0

https://twitter.com/TheSunNewspaper
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    SeanT said:

Earlier in the week, there was an excellent program by the marmite Jonathon Meades. I normally hate brutalism with a passion (*), but the program actually made me think about it differently. He may even have changed my mind. But not the Tricorn. Never the Tricorn. -)

http://www.retrowow.co.uk/architecture/60s/tricorn/reflections.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/death-brutalism-and-prepubertal-sex-jonathan-meades-embraces-some-difficult-subjects-in-his-tv-series-and-memoir-9144497.html

(*) In general. There is certainly a functional grace in slipformed water cooling towers, and there are some good brutalist buildings. But generally they can age awfully, and I hate them.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Observer/Pix/pictures/2010/1/8/1262962773146/goal-hanging-squirrel-001.jpg
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Ousted President reportedly in Rostov, not too far from the South Eastern border of Ukraine. Still president apparently. Who says? Russian officials.

Well of course, there's no hard and fast rule about what constitutes a proper head of state, other than that people treat you as one. A corrollary to the Charles I 'You have no legal authority to try me' technique used by the justly and unjustly ousted througout history.

A murky situation though - usually I at least feel like there is an accepted train of thought in popular opiniom, right or wrong, about whether something is good or bad, but at the moment everyone still seems disputed over whether Putin is on the backfoot, still has the upper hand due to USA and EU traditional dithering, or anything in between.

That is surprising and interesting news that the Chief of Staff has not been replaced by his predessor though.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    edited February 2014
    YouGov Polling in The Times

57% of voters believed that the failure by any party to win a majority would lead to “weak government.

87% of Tory voters would prefer another coalition with the Lib Dems than see Ed Miliband become PM.

On a minority govt vs a second coalition.

48% of Tory Voters would prefer a minority govt and GE after a year or two, 44% would prefer a second coalition with the LDs

Of all voters

33% want a Labour majority, 30% a Tory majority, 10% a Lib-Lab coalition and 7% wanted another deal between the Lib Dems and the Conservatives.

The YouGov poll was conducted among 2,062 people online on Tuesday and Wednesday.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    It is perfectly possible for both to lose, vote Lib Dem!

Possible, but unlikely...

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

BobaFett said:

GeoffM said:

BobaFett said:

• Options

Friday's Sun front page - "Labour chiefs: It's ok to have sex with 10-yr-olds" #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers pic.twitter.com/XaLhd4jGd0

Jesus! When was the last time there was a headline that inflammatory, or do I not read the papers enough?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    kle4 said:

Jesus! When was the last time there was a headline that inflammatory, or do I not read the papers enough?
    Agree, the inflammatory bit ;-)

• Options
    edited February 2014

57% of voters believed that the failure by any party to win a majority would lead to “weak government.

87% of Tory voters would prefer another coalition with the Lib Dems than see Ed Miliband become PM.

48% of Tory Voters would prefer a minority govt and GE after a year or two, 44% would prefer a second coalition.

Of all voters

33% want a Labour majority, 30% a Tory majority, 10% a Lib-Lab coalition and 7% wanted another deal between the Lib Dems and the Conservatives.

The YouGov poll was conducted among 2,062 people online on Tuesday and Wednesday.

I'm surprised that so many Tory voters would be pragmatic enough to prefer a coalition than see Ed M become PM, as the slavering beasts of the backbenches and pundit websites make it seem like most would prefer to see a straight out defeat than suffer such humilation again. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by voters being more reasonable than the commentariat, who need to talk a tough game.

• Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Ah so thats why Hewitt has been flushed out .
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    edited February 2014
    kle4 said:

Blimey! No matter what the truth is, and the papers don't care anyway, this is bad for Labour.

• Options
    kle4 said:

48% of Tory Voters would prefer a minority govt and GE after a few years, 44% would prefer a second coalition.

Of all voters

I'm surprised that so many Tory voters would be pragmatic enough to prefer a coalition than see Ed M become PM, as the slavering beasts of the backbenches and pundit websites make it seem like most would prefer to see a straight out defeat than suffer such humilation again. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by voters being more reasonable than the commentariat, who need to talk a tough game.

There's a distinction between Tory voters and Tory activists.
  • Options
    That's a hell of a Sun front page headline. Could get messy.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Y0kel said:

Ah so thats why Hewitt has been flushed out .

Will Harman be flushed away?

However, a note of thanks for another clear synopsis of another brewing crisis.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    kle4 said:

48% of Tory Voters would prefer a minority govt and GE after a few years, 44% would prefer a second coalition.

Of all voters

Tory voters shouldn't be confused with Tory Party members.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sun editor on Sky paper review jut explained what is in the story
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Will Harman be flushed away?

Jack Dromey was on the committee. No sign of Harriet so far
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387

I have always wondered how the average tory backbencher would get on with the deferred gratification test. In the test young children have a sweet put in front of them without any obvious supervision but are told that they will get 2 sweets if they wait for their mother to get back. All children eventually eat the sweet but the time they wait is a remarkably accurate forecast of their future academic and professional progress.

I really wonder if the average tory backbencher would wait long enough to hear the explanation before they swallowed the sweet and demanded more.

• Options
    DavidL said:

I have always wondered how the average tory backbencher would get on with the deferred gratification test. In the test young children have a sweet put in front of them without any obvious supervision but are told that they will get 2 sweets if they wait for their mother to get back. All children eventually eat the sweet but the time they wait is a remarkably accurate forecast of their future academic and professional progress.

I really wonder if the average tory backbencher would wait long enough to hear the explanation before they swallowed the sweet and demanded more.

While complaining it wasn't the type of sweet they wanted in the first place.

• Options

It does look like payback time for Hacked Off. I loathe the patronising, moneygrubbing, advisor to private health care companies, and all round swine, Patricia Hewitt, but she is no child molester.

kle4 said:

Blimey! No matter what the truth is, and the papers don't care anyway, this is bad for Labour.

I wonder if this is payback for newspaper regulation and the Labour stitch up with Hacked Off.

It does look like payback time for Hacked Off. I loathe the patronising, moneygrubbing, advisor to private health care companies, and all round swine, Patricia Hewitt, but she is no child molester.

kle4 said:

I wonder if this is payback for newspaper regulation and the Labour stitch up with Hacked Off.
    I can see another event such as when The Mail went for Ed Milibands father.
  • Options
    @cathynewman: Actor Steve Coogan tells #c4news if Patricia Hewitt apologises for past mistakes, Daily Mail should do so too. VIDEO http://t.co/IiMDQQikcD

If Hacked Off had their way this would never have come to light
  • Options
    I'm absolutely stunned by that Sun headline.
  • Options
    Ten out of ten for effort here; I salute you for that :-)

It is perfectly possible for both to lose, vote Lib Dem!
    Possible, but unlikely...

GeoffM said:

• Options
    I don't see why people are stunned by The Sun headline, I have said this type of propganda will be the norm for the next election. Expect an awful lot more of this from The Sun/The Mail/The Express.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    SeanT said:

I like the view from the north end of Waterloo bridge looking across the river. You can see the Shard looming over the OXO building, aggressively. Maybe I'm perverse, but the latter fills me with confidence in Anglo-Saxon solidity, enduring and four square. One's eye---missing The London Eye, a carbuncle that can come down as easily as it went up---sweeps across the river to Wren's rather good effort.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    BobaFett said:

Surely either this will knock Labour's lead, or we can start to wonder if the repeated newspaper attacks on Labour are getting diminishing returns.

• Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    So when is this event from?1983 or 1903.Let`s see how much mud can be thrown at Labour.Shows how desperate these Tory papers are to avoid a Miliband government.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

There has to be something going on behind the scenes.

Is a big 'anti-tory' paedophile revelation about to break?

Or is it simply a reinvigorated press getting revenge for Leveson?

Very strange to see The Sun take over the baton from The Daily Mail.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Arguably if they don't really nail Labour with salient facts they're going to get into a boy cried wolf scenario.
  • Options

I don't see why people are stunned by The Sun headline, I have said this type of propganda will be the norm for the next election. Expect an awful lot more of this from The Sun/The Mail/The Express.

The mirror,The people

This discussion has been closed.