Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Could we see Reform poll higher than the Tories before the election in an opin– politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited March 12 in General
Could we see Reform poll higher than the Tories before the election in an opinion poll? – politicalbetting.com

?Lee Anderson suspended A spokesperson for Chief Whip Simon Hart said: "Following his refusal to apologise for comments made yesterday, the Chief Whip has suspended the Conservative whip from Lee Anderson MP."

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First like England versus Scotland.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,267
    edited February 24
    Depends how much crack they've done.

Oh, you said 'poll.'
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    Richard Tice must be the luckiest party leader in history if this happens.
  • Options
    Sky reporter reporting again - 'sticking the knife in'

When will they learn language matters
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    The Tory party may respond calmly but I suspect the typical Tory MP will be in panic mode..

But the problem the Tory party has now is how do you attract the Reform Islamophobic vote without scaring more moderate votes away...
  • Options
    Give him his due, Farage was pretty good at kicking out-loud racists out of his parties, preferring sly insinuation.

Would Reform even want him?

And what do GBeebies do?
  • Options
    Clutch_BromptonClutch_Brompton Posts: 422
    edited February 24

Richard Tice must be the luckiest party leader in history if this happens.

No that is still Sir Kier
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,479
    edited February 24

Give him his due, Farage was pretty good at kicking out-loud racists out of his parties, preferring sly insinuation.

And what do GBeebies do?

My 'favourite' was the UKIP councillor lady who said she wasn't a racist she just didn't like black people because of their negroid features.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579
    edited February 24
    9th.

(Knowing me, knowing you) Aha - I see the bollock he dropped.

I admit I had perceived that as merely turning twat into a verb.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012
    edited February 24
    Under FPTP I doubt it, if we had PR Reform might already be level pegging with the Sunak and Hunt Tories.

Tice is also less politically canny than Farage, pushing Thatcherite economics when most of their target voters want centrist economics and subsidised manufacturing industry and farming while still cutting immigration and being anti woke
  • Options
    MattW said:

9th.

(Knowing me, knowing you) Aha - I see the bollock he dropped.

He's the greatest sleeper agent in politics after Liz Truss.

Fair play to Labour for letting 30p Lee defect to the Tories.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,270
    On topic. Unlikely. Maybe a 15% chance

It will be entertainingly seismic if it happens
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579
    edited February 24

And what do GBeebies do?

Gloria still seems to be there, presumably as the Sane wing.

All they need is Geoff 'the complete' Hoon, and they'll have the 3 most recent MPs for Ashfield.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,841
    I would have thought Anderson would have been the perfect fit for Reform .

It certainly would raise the profile of the party . Problem for Reform now is taking Anderson would see lots of questions around whether they’re Islamophobic .

• Options
    eek said:

The Tory party may respond calmly but I suspect the typical Tory MP will be in panic mode..

But the problem the Tory party has now is how do you attract the Reform Islamophobic vote without scaring more moderate votes away...

If your main concern is Islamophobia you are almost certainly already voting Labour, LD, Green, SNP or even Galloway not Conservative anyway.

I should suspect much of the Jewish vote not just the hardcore Leaver vote would agree with Anderson too, that doesn't mean he was right to say it though of course
  • Options
    Clutch_BromptonClutch_Brompton Posts: 422
    edited February 24
    As for Anderson - you lay down with dogs and you get fleas.

I feel a sense of relief that there are still apparently enough real conservatives in the Con Party to kick this offensive grifter into touch. No apology should have been accepted and it seems amazing the Con leadership were willing to make exactly the mistake Starmer made over Rochdale

Anderson probably would stand a better chance in Ashfield under Reform colours. However, they would have to forgive his lie over being offered a bribe to defect. How do I know it was a lie? Anderson would have taken the money. That can't have impressed Tice and Farage. However, they currently have Danczuk as a candidate which suggests their standards are phenomenally low
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,354

And what do GBeebies do?

Farage has already given him an open invitation.
  • Options
    Fuck's sake.

Duhan van der Merwe is a proper Scottish name.
  • Options
    Far too many handling errors by England. Useless
  • Options
    Meanwhile news from Rochdale

After my hot tip that the Cons might be over-priced there the smart money has reacted in the only possible way.

The Cons have gone from 66-1 to 150-1
  • Options
    Am so bored of mediocre England rugby teams. Ford is weak. Lawrence is weaker
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,771

You must really like ConHome
  • Options
    CatMan said:

You must really like ConHome
    They were first when I posted that.
  • Options

After my hot tip that the Cons might be over-priced there the smart money has reacted in the only possible way.

I wonder if we might see a Rochdale poll this weekend.

Nota bene, I am not aware of any Rochdale polling.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,317
    edited February 24

And what do GBeebies do?

Did we do this?

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/gb-news-co-owner-denies-163626807.html
    "GB News co-owner denies 'Islamophobia' after Twitter history exposed"
  • Options
    The Scots are savages, why did they boo such a brilliant drop goal?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,797
    edited February 24

Fuck's sake.

Friend of mine from the Borders went out to RSA. Found he could, if he relaxed, understand what the local Afrikaners were saying about the rooinek (ie him) in front of him.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,193
    nico679 said:

It certainly would raise the profile of the party . Problem for Reform now is taking Anderson would see lots of questions around whether they’re Islamophobic .

Surely, in your book, it’s all faux outrage.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,993

did not age well
  • Options
    edited February 24
    malcolmg said:

did not age well
    Aged like a carton of milk that's been on a radiator for fifteen days.
  • Options
    Leon said:

good losers as ever
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Fuck's sake.

Friend of mine from the Borders went out to RSA. Found he could, if he relaxed, understand what the local Afrikaners were saying about the rooinek (ie him) in front of him.
    The Dutch are very snooty about Afrikaans. They call it “kitchen Dutch” and say it sounds childish and primitive
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,447

As for Anderson - you lay down with dogs and you get fleas.

I feel a sense of relief that there are still apparently enough real conservatives in the Con Party to kick this offensive grifter into touch. No apology should have been accepted and it seems amazing the Con leadership were willing to make exactly the mistake Starmer made over Rochdale

Anderson probably would stand a better chance in Ashfield under Reform colours. However, they would have to forgive his lie over being offered a bribe to defect. How do I know it was a lie? Anderson would have taken the money. That can't have impressed Tice and Farage. However, they currently have Danczuk as a candidate which suggests their standards are phenomenally low

They were content to have him as deputy chairman of the party. Just now hopes for the red wall have gone so has the need for big boorish Lee. All the red wall MPs will be discarded. They don't fit the home counties mould of what a Conservative should be.

Houchen et al should be worrying.
  • Options
    eek said:

I’d expect many Tory MPs are considering a life after politics.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Leon said:

good losers as ever
    I stand by my prediction. Scotland to win by about 10
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Fuck's sake.

The Dutch are very snooty about Afrikaans. They call it “kitchen Dutch” and say it sounds childish and primitive
    Oh, really? Odd, as it's pretty much what they used to speak!
  • Options

Fuck's sake.

In the same way that Shoaib Bashir is a proper English name :)
  • Options
    Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

good losers as ever
    I stand by my prediction. Scotland to win by about 10
    long way to go
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Leon said:

good losers as ever
    Not even as if they have actually lost yet!
  • Options
    'Trump suggests black voters like him more because of his mugshot and criminal indictments: 'What's happening to me happens to them''
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13121095/trump-black-voters-like-mugshot-criminal-indictments.html
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977

Hasn't the Tory candidate gone on holiday?
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,841
    Taz said:

nico679 said:

Anderson has a history of controversial comments and clearly the Tories have a problem with Islamophobia . Labour had a bad few days with the Ali controversy.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Fuck's sake.

I believe the French are similarly disdainful of Quebecois? So it’s probably a known linguistic pattern
  • Options
    edited February 24
    CatMan said:

Fuck's sake.

In the same way that Shoaib Bashir is a proper English name :)
    Hush.

I do not take defeat well.

I am at Wembley tomorrow and experiencing PMT.

Pre match tension.
  • Options
    Evidence from these boards suggests he will have to work hard to hive it off from the Greens.
  • Options
    I think Ford’s poor handling cost us both tries
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    HYUFD said:

Under FPTP I doubt it, if we had PR Reform might already be level pegging with the Sunak and Hunt Tories.

Tice is also less politically canny than Farage, pushing Thatcherite economics when most of their target voters want centrist economics and subsidised manufacturing industry and farming while still cutting immigration and being anti woke

Perhaps that's actually what he believes will work - imagine a party leader basing policy on that.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Fuck's sake.

I believe the French are similarly disdainful of Quebecois? So it’s probably a known linguistic pattern
    And the English of Americans. It'll be founder effect, in part, oen district being more sampled than others, and partly simple divergence - some of the differences will be old in one polity, old in the other, so plenty of scope for blaming each other for being 'primitive'.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    The French have deported someone after 38 years in France because he called the French flag "satanic"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68378736

On Thursday, Mr Darmanin wrote on X that he had asked for an expulsion order to be issued for Mahjoub Mahjoubi, and praised tough new immigration laws that makes it easier for France to deport foreign residents.

"Without the immigration law, this would not have been possible. Firmness is the rule", the interior minister wrote.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    Credit where it's due for the suspension. I'm sure these things involve a few fevered phone and conference calls before the decision is cast, as in normal life, so the appearance of a degree of confusion (and media love adding to that sense of confusion) is unavoidable.

As with Labour's Rochdale candidate the other week.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,543
    As to the question asked above; Yes we could. Whether we shall depends a lot on how, and how much, and with what media coverage, Farage goes absolutely up front in campaigning mode.

I doubt if he will be able to resist this, and the defenestration of Anderson suggests that the Tories have boundaries, ones which Farage does not intend to operate within at the moment.

So if Farage is to be Nigel the Kingmaker, the only king in sight is neither a Henry nor an Edward but a Keir.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Fuck's sake.

Just don't suggest that Scots is a dialect of English and you'll be fine
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Credit where it's due for the suspension. I'm sure these things involve a few fevered phone and conference calls before the decision is cast, as in normal life, so the appearance of a degree of confusion (and media love adding to that sense of confusion) is unavoidable.

As with Labour's Rochdale candidate the other week.

The interesting thing is how Anderson refused to apologise. Sunak has little control over his MPs
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,976
    Leon said:

Sunak has little control over his MPs

They are not his MPs. He inherited them from BoZo
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543
    Doesn't the Anderson affair cast more doubt on Sunak's political judgement? Sunak was quite happy to appoint him as Vice Chair of the party.

Meanwhile, I await Braverman's suspension following her anti-Islam tirade in the DT on Thursday, which was as bad as Anderson's. I think I'll have a long wait.
  • Options

Doesn't the Anderson affair cast more doubt on Sunak's political judgement?

No.

Because that would imply there was doubt remaining...

(I do hope Braverman is also de-whipped, and then loses her seat. That would be funny.)
  • Options

Fuck's sake.

He qualified as he lived in Edinburgh for 3 years, despite being South African born and raised and not having any Scottish family.

He is clearly winning this game for Scotland but in the rules he was eligible to play for them so fair enough
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Taz said:

nico679 said:

Anderson has a history of controversial comments and clearly the Tories have a problem with Islamophobia . Labour had a bad few days with the Ali controversy.
    Good point.labour has no history whatsoever with anti semitism at all.,just a bad few days.

😂😂😂😂
  • Options
    Great try. Deserved lead

ANOTHER fuck up by England
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210
    Liz Truss ought to lose the whip, frankly.

(The Tory one, for those of you with filthy minds.)
  • Options
    I don’t swear much but I reckon 95% of the times I do swear it involves the England rugby team.
  • Options
    What a stupid TMO stoppage
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    nico679 said:

You mean they want to be seen as unambiguously Islamophobic?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Liz Truss ought to lose the whip, frankly.

(The Tory one, for those of you with filthy minds.)

They can't afford it, it would risk further leakage to Reform given they have already had to suspend Anderson to the fury of the populist right
  • Options

And their candidate would you believe is on holiday
  • Options

The French have deported someone after 38 years in France because he called the French flag "satanic"

On Thursday, Mr Darmanin wrote on X that he had asked for an expulsion order to be issued for Mahjoub Mahjoubi, and praised tough new immigration laws that makes it easier for France to deport foreign residents.

"Without the immigration law, this would not have been possible. Firmness is the rule", the interior minister wrote.

Time we had proper immigration laws
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Oui

Why can’t we do this? Boff. On the plane. Deported
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Perhaps that's actually what he believes will work - imagine a party leader basing policy on that.
    We had one - Truss and we know how that ended
  • Options
    Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Oui

Shamina says "hello".
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Totally agree, for example we should deport anybody who calls the Union Jack the Butcher's Apron.
  • Options

I don’t swear much but I reckon 95% of the times I do swear it involves the England rugby team.

Alba gu br... er, I mean Come on, England! :blush:
  • Options

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Oui

Shamina says "hello".
    Really? How did she get back into the country?
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,217
    Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Oui

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/if-france-can-ignore-the-echr-why-cant-we/
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Oui

Shamina says "hello".
    Really? How did she get back into the country?
    Well, she has been stripped of citizenship.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,382
    Have Scotland got de Kock out yet?
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Oui

Anybody who wants us to be more like France should also be deported.
  • Options

carnforth said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Oui

Anyone who talks like a Frog should be punished until they croak?
  • Options

Have Scotland got de Kock out yet?

They're just fiddling at the edges right now.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,430

carnforth said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Oui

Fuck around and find out.
  • Options
    The expectation that Scotland might win this game is more painful than the usual despair
  • Options
    As I was saying...
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Oui

Tempting. But I think losing the tory whip is probably sufficient for now. And Reform are welcome to him.
  • Options
    edited February 24
    Scott_xP said:

The expectation that Scotland might win this game is more painful than the usual despair

Given only Van Der Merwe's tries have put Scotland ahead, maybe more accurate to suggest this could be a victory for a Scottish South African alliance. He has about as much connection to Scotland as an English student studying for 3 years at Edinburgh university, given it was only his 3 year Edinburgh residency that qualified him. Otherwise he was South African born and South African raised with no Scottish ancestry
  • Options
    England have some talented youngsters, this Scottish kid Finn Smith, nice, Feyi-Aboso, get Marcus Smith back, and somehow Henry Arundell, suddenly we look more piercing

But this game is lost to the genius of Van Der Merwe
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,382

carnforth said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Oui

Isn't that the unofficial motto of France?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Given only Van Der Merwe's tries have put Scotland ahead, maybe more accurate to suggest this could be a victory for a Scottish South African alliance. He has about as much connection to Scotland as an English student studying for 3 years at Edinburgh university, given it was only his 3 year Edinburgh residency that qualified him. Otherwise he was South African born and South African raised with no Scottish ancestry
    He is a superb player, likewise Finn Russell

Scotland are blessed with two of the best players in the world. If they could find maybe two or three more they could win Slams and maybe the next World Cup
  • Options
    Lawrence AGAIN

FFS. He must never play another England game
  • Options
    edited February 24
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

He is a superb player, likewise Finn Russell

Scotland are blessed with two of the best players in the world. If they could find maybe two or three more they could win Slams and maybe the next World Cup
    He is excellent and has won this match for Scotland fair enough.

I hope we get no more complaints form Scottish Nationalists about non Scottish born English residents of Scotland helping No to victory in 2014 though on the same basis
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,285
    Leon said:

“Bored with”…
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,430
    A

carnforth said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Oui

Isn't that the unofficial motto of France?

"My dear sir, if you did anything so foolish you would probably enlarge the two limited titles of our village inns by giving us 'The Dangling Prussian' as a signpost. The Englishman is a patient creature, but at present his temper is a little inflamed, and it would be as well not to try him too far.
  • Options
    Lamentable errors from England, deserved win for Scotland - van der Merwe is a tremendous talent

I said Scotland by 10! They did it by 9

No one is going to stop Ireland
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    edited February 24
    AlsoLei said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

If your main concern is Islamophobia you are almost certainly already voting Labour, LD, Green, SNP or even Galloway not Conservative anyway.

I should suspect much of the Jewish vote
    not just the hardcore Leaver vote would agree with Anderson too, that doesn't mean he was right to say it though of course
    The Tories have been playing a dangerous game here.

Sarah Hall tried it in October, when she claimed that some of the Jewish community are "frightened" of Khan. That earned her a rebuke from the Board of Deputies, who went on to say that Khan had always treated Jewish communities "with friendship and respect".

Then there was the 'Sadiq Khan says the quiet part out loud' selectively-edited video posted on Twitter by the official @Conservatives account, and leading Tory figures' repeated refusals to apologise for spreading misinformation.

And now Lee Anderson, previously the Tory Deputy Chair.

The reality is that Khan has constantly spoken in favour of Jewish Londoners and their interests, and against not just antisemitism but also anti-Zionism and BDS. He's been a frequent visitor to Jewish community projects, has taken part in Jewish festivals, and has instructed the MPS to take a zero-tolerance approach to antisemitic hate crimes.

The "Jewish vote" isn't really a thing - Jews aren't a monolithic bloc. Traditionalist, conservative Jews tend to lean Tory and liberal, secular Jews tend to vote Labour... but, as ever, the words "tend to" are doing a lot of work, and cover a great deal of complexity.

I know plenty of liberal Jewish people who would not have voted for Corbyn's Labour party at a general election, but who have always been entirely relaxed about Khan as mayor. I won't pretend that they're a particularly representative bunch - but then, who is?

What is for certain is that trying to tar Khan with an antisemitic brush is untrue, unfair, and deeply unpleasant.

And whilst Islamophobia may not be at the top of many Tory voters' list of concerns, neither do many (hopefully most!) of them want to be associated with Islamophobes or Islamophobia. Hall and Anderson's behaviour is just as likely to drive decent Conservatives (© Big_G_NorthWales) away as it is to attract the nuttier end of Refukers.
    They should leave and join Reform as that is the party for these divisive attitudes
  • Options
    Leon said:

Lamentable errors from England, deserved win for Scotland - van der Merwe is a tremendous talent

I said Scotland by 10! They did it by 9

No one is going to stop Ireland

Without the handling errors that might have been interesting. They lost all confidence after a good start. Think Lawrence was rushed back too soon never seen him play quite so badly.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796

AlsoLei said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

not just the hardcore Leaver vote would agree with Anderson too, that doesn't mean he was right to say it though of course

Sarah Hall tried it in October, when she claimed that some of the Jewish community are "frightened" of Khan. That earned her a rebuke from the Board of Deputies, who went on to say that Khan had always treated Jewish communities "with friendship and respect".

Then there was the 'Sadiq Khan says the quiet part out loud' selectively-edited video posted on Twitter by the official @Conservatives account, and leading Tory figures' repeated refusals to apologise for spreading misinformation.

The reality is that Khan has constantly spoken in favour of Jewish Londoners and their interests, and against not just antisemitism but also anti-Zionism and BDS. He's been a frequent visitor to Jewish community projects, has taken part in Jewish festivals, and has instructed the MPS to take a zero-tolerance approach to antisemitic hate crimes.

The "Jewish vote" isn't really a thing - Jews aren't a monolithic bloc. Traditionalist, conservative Jews tend to lean Tory and liberal, secular Jews tend to vote Labour... but, as ever, the words "tend to" are doing a lot of work, and cover a great deal of complexity.

I know plenty of liberal Jewish people who would not have voted for Corbyn's Labour party at a general election, but who have always been entirely relaxed about Khan as mayor. I won't pretend that they're a particularly representative bunch - but then, who is?

What is for certain is that trying to tar Khan with an antisemitic brush is untrue, unfair, and deeply unpleasant.

And whilst Islamophobia may not be at the top of many Tory voters' list of concerns, neither do many (hopefully most!) of them want to be associated with Islamophobes or Islamophobia. Hall and Anderson's behaviour is just as likely to drive decent Conservatives (© Big_G_NorthWales) away as it is to attract the nuttier end of Refukers.
    They should leave and join Reform as that is the party for these divisive attitudes
    The only issue is that they take a significant number of voters with them.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Sunak has little control over his MPs

They are not his MPs. He inherited them from BoZo
    That must be why he's doing so much to reduce their numbers.
  • Options
    darkage said:

AlsoLei said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

Unlikely.

The Tories' voter numbers right now suggest they don't have significant numbers to take anyway.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    edited February 24
    darkage said:

AlsoLei said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

If so then that may have to happen

I do not support the right of the conservative party bring a one nation conservative most of my life ( though did vote for Blair twice)
This discussion has been closed.