Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sunak is proving to be a very unlucky general – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214

HYUFD said:

This should be an interesting case, things always get better when lawyers get involved.

Today I have been passed the identities of 14 British citizens who have been fighting for the genocidal IDF as it massacres the people of Gaza.

This file will be passed onto lawyers with the intent of getting these people prosecuted.

https://twitter.com/RmSalih/status/1759962349144858973

How can you prosecute people fighting voluntarily for the Israeli army, the IDF is not listed as a terrorist organisation in the UK?
    War crimes.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5b02c746e5274a52093587d3/universal-jurisdiction-note-web.pdf
    You would have to prove the individuals concerned committed war crimes against civilians or the unarmed, shooting armed Hamas terrorists who haven't surrendered and who massacred 100s of Israelis earlier this year does not count!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Interesting thread from a Dem operative:

Kaivan Shroff
    @KaivanShroff
    ·
    Feb 19
    Some delusional scenario where the party instead anoints a Biden replacement at the Democratic National Convention in August, just over 3 months away from election day, and then that candidate goes on to defeat Trump is beyond even Aaron Sorkin’s imagination.

Kaivan Shroff
    @KaivanShroff
    ·
    Feb 19
    Joe Biden is the best candidate to beat Donald Trump in just 9 months. Even if he wasn’t, there is no time left and there are no alternatives.

https://twitter.com/KaivanShroff/status/1759627786455544007

The judges and juries in Trump's criminal trials may have more influence on the election result than whoever the Democratic nominee is, Biden or not
    Unless he is barred from running somehow through legal processes he is the nominee.

GOP will make him nominee even if he is in prison.

Yes but Independents will be far more likely to hold their nose and vote for Biden again if Trump is sent to jail, even if 30-40% of US voters still vote for Trump even if he is in jail on election day ie his MAGA core vote
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,545
    The Washington state legislature is currently discussing a far more important issue than the petty ones you have been commenting on today: "The Washington State Legislature is considering a bill that advocates call a Strippers' Bill of Rights. It's been championed by adult dancing activists who say Washington has archaic laws around strip clubs."
    source: https://www.npr.org/2024/02/19/1232527647/the-washington-state-legislature-is-taking-up-a-so-called-strippers-bill-of-righ#:~:text=The Washington State Legislature is considering a bill that advocates,in Seattle, Monica Nickelsburg reports.

I worry about the safety of those poor girls in those awful shoes, but, other than that, don't know enough to have a position on the bill.

(Speaking of shoes, I am hoping someone better informed than I about such matters (TSE, perhaps) will review the shoes the Loser, DJT, is selling.)
  • Options

The Washington state legislature is currently discussing a far more important issue than the petty ones you have been commenting on today: "The Washington State Legislature is considering a bill that advocates call a Strippers' Bill of Rights. It's been championed by adult dancing activists who say Washington has archaic laws around strip clubs."
    source: https://www.npr.org/2024/02/19/1232527647/the-washington-state-legislature-is-taking-up-a-so-called-strippers-bill-of-righ#:~:text=The Washington State Legislature is considering a bill that advocates,in Seattle, Monica Nickelsburg reports.

I worry about the safety of those poor girls in those awful shoes, but, other than that, don't know enough to have a position on the bill.

(Speaking of shoes, I am hoping someone better informed than I about such matters (TSE, perhaps) will review the shoes the Loser, DJT, is selling.)

The Trump shoes are the second worst shoes in human history after Crocs.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,023
    HYUFD said:

I cannot believe people think Rishi Sunak is an arrogant out of touch elitist.

Sunak faces backlash after saying farmers work for love, not money

Prime Minister’s remarks at NFU conference rebuked by union chief as polling shows Tories face rural election woe

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/02/20/rishi-sunak-faces-backlash-for-saying-farmers-work-for-love/

Not all, plenty of multi millionaire farmers round here whose families have owned their farms for generations, who live in big rustic old farmhouses and often have multiple tenants
    That's one way to describe the Duke of Buccleuch ;)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

This should be an interesting case, things always get better when lawyers get involved.

Today I have been passed the identities of 14 British citizens who have been fighting for the genocidal IDF as it massacres the people of Gaza.

This file will be passed onto lawyers with the intent of getting these people prosecuted.

How can you prosecute people fighting voluntarily for the Israeli army, the IDF is not listed as a terrorist organisation in the UK?
    War crimes.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5b02c746e5274a52093587d3/universal-jurisdiction-note-web.pdf
    You would have to prove the individuals concerned committed war crimes against civilians or the unarmed, shooting armed Hamas terrorists who haven't surrendered and who massacred 100s of Israelis earlier this year does not count!
    Israel has massacred THOUSANDS of Palestinians!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,384
    Shame, The Spectator will never be able to employ him now.

• Options
    edited February 20

Most famous for his court case against Deborah Lipstadt of course
  • Options
    edited February 20
    Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

Prime Minister’s remarks at NFU conference rebuked by union chief as polling shows Tories face rural election woe

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/02/20/rishi-sunak-faces-backlash-for-saying-farmers-work-for-love/

Not all, plenty of multi millionaire farmers round here whose families have owned their farms for generations, who live in big rustic old farmhouses and often have multiple tenants
    That's one way to describe the Duke of Buccleuch ;)
    Mainly farming gentry around Essex though (in the rural areas north of Loughton, Rochford, Basildon and Brentwood anyway), a few Lords and Barons is about the highest aristocracy you get in this county
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

War crimes.

There were tens of thousands of Hamas terrorists hiding under the Palestinians

How many Hamas terrorists do you want Israel to spare?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,073
    HYUFD said:

Rather more than that, though.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,542

He must have been well over 80. So not really a surprise.

One small issue. He wasn't an historian. Pop or otherwise.

His first book in English, The Destruction of Dresden, Was subtitled 'Ein Roman' when the German translation first came out, because he'd falsified so much information in it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Thank God for lawyers.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Thank God for lawyers.
    Richard Rampton, in that case.

Who, coincidentally, died about three months ago.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,666
    HYUFD said:

Given Blackpool South is only 65th in the Labour target list and a seat Labour could win and still see the Tories win most seats, the pressure in this by election may be more on Starmer than Sunak.

It is a must win for Labour, less so for the Tories and Sunak has already brushed off by election losses in far safer Tory seats than this one

The by election is not happening HY. No more by elections this Parliament are happening, even if the GE is December. This became clear to us all hours ago.

Your party won’t set a date for it, arguing the waste of money involved so close to the General Election.

And it’s the right decision, so no real opposition to it.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,870
    On topic: 2023 Local election results for Blackpool South:

Lab: 7448 (46.2%)
    Con: 6223 (38.6%)
    Ind: 1108 (6.9%)
    Green: 629 (3.9%)
    Ref: 540 (3.3%)
    LD: 172 (1.1%)

Given this starts as a marginal and one that Electoral Calculus has a 30% margin Labour win, that 7.6% local election lead is quite low.

Labour is typically gaining a further 2-8% swing over and above local results in by-elections, much depending on third party, including Independent, vote squeeze. The prospects for that are quite modest here (for the sake of argument I'm ignoring the effect of Benton as an independent here).

So, if this occurs, I wonder if we could see a lower swing than we've been used to, maybe around 12%, as I'd expect some RefUK showing.

I'm sure such a result might be interpreted as improvement for the Tories, but I think that would be a mistake.

Labour will win, but likely with their least convincing mainstream result since Uxbridge.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Thank God for lawyers.
    Richard Rampton, in that case.

Who, coincidentally, died about three months ago.
    And weeks so did Tom Wilkinson who played him in Denial.

Rampton and Julius came up with a great strategy to destroy Irving.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

His first book in English, The Destruction of Dresden, Was subtitled 'Ein Roman' when the German translation first came out, because he'd falsified so much information in it.
    Not quite... I think his first book was in 1968 about the controversial PQ17 Convoy. It resulted in a court case - Broome -v- Cassell & Co Ltd (1970).
  • Options
    Sir Charles Gray also deserves praise, his 349 page judgment against Irving was a thing of beauty on so many levels.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Not quite... I think his first book was in 1968 about the controversial PQ17 Convoy. It resulted in a court case - Broome -v- Cassell & Co Ltd (1970).
    His first book was Und Deutsche Städte Starben Nicht in 1962. The Destruction of Dresden was a development of that published by Kimber the following year.

PQ17 was five years after that. I think it was his first court case though. He had to pay £40,000 damages including £25,000 in exemplary damages.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,663

isam said:

And with current Tory voters, Boris beats Cameron 41-17 with the rest nowhere

Which has been the best Conservative PM since 2010?

Boris Johnson: 21%
    David Cameron: 19%
    Theresa May: 12%
    Rishi Sunak: 6%
    Liz Truss: 1%
    Don't know: 41%

https://x.com/yougov/status/1759997144864522418?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

Braindead the lot of them.

Cameron is clearly the best by a country mile.
    Style over substance.
    I am glad you're finally understanding what Boris Johnson is like.
    Compare Cameron's response to Russian agression with Johnson's.
    Cameron has been spot on the thug running the Israeli Government. For that he has my support.

Voted for his party before, would do so again if he was the leader.
    That's also style over substance. Cameron supports dismantling Gaza's military capability, so his criticism of Netanyahu is superficial.
    There's a good article on this (Cameron's long standing tendency to say whatever sounds good at any one moment before any one audience) over on Conhome. He was always a massive lightweight.

https://conservativehome.com/2024/02/20/cameron-has-gone-native-at-the-foreign-office/
  • Options
    Rather fitting that a large number of David Irving’s supporters have concluded that he has died without any real evidence.

https://twitter.com/HackBlackburn/status/1760046163741557197
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,062

Looking forward to him denying it despite the overwhelming proof.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,663
    HYUFD said:

Exactly. Sunak does have an odd habit of going around the country proudly displaying his very limited knowledge of various industries, regional identities etc. He just doesn't seem too bright.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

His first book was Und Deutsche Städte Starben Nicht in 1962. The Destruction of Dresden was a development of that published by Kimber the following year.

PQ17 was five years after that. I think it was his first court case though. He had to pay £40,000 damages including £25,000 in exemplary damages.
    Thanks, Ydoethur - I am happy to stand corrected. Incidentally, and for the record, I don't make a study of the writings of fascistic wannabe historians - it's just that my grandparents had a copy, and I remember the fuss at the time.
  • Options
    I can exclusively verify the David Irving diaries as genuine.

https://twitter.com/StephenCVGraham/status/1760042782742216885/photo/1
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Exactly. Sunak does have an odd habit of going around the country proudly displaying his very limited knowledge of various industries, regional identities etc. He just doesn't seem too bright.
    Oxford man.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,775

Rather fitting that a large number of David Irving’s supporters have concluded that he has died without any real evidence.

https://twitter.com/HackBlackburn/status/1760046163741557197

Surely, it should be that his supporters deny it happened, despite overwhelming testimony and physical evidence?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Thanks, Ydoethur - I am happy to stand corrected. Incidentally, and for the record, I don't make a study of the writings of fascistic wannabe historians - it's just that my grandparents had a copy, and I remember the fuss at the time.
    I do.

But for the record, that is because one of my early jobs was to rebut them...

Incidentally, we had commentary on Richard Carrier a few days ago from @148grss - Carrier's use of Irving as a reliable source to support an untenable thesis was what alerted me to the fact that Carrier is a loon...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Of course you can't, its clear nonsense. An attention whore and money making scam by someone.

British law is entirely clear that British citizens (both dual national and exclusively British nationals) are perfectly entitled to fight for other countries legal armies.

And if those British nationals are dual-nationals, they might be in their own (other) nation's army in which case what on earth do you think you're going to do about it?
    Who actually decides what is legal in this case? The United Nations?

What if the other countries legal army were actually the villains of the piece, stolen someone’s land, and the other protagonist were the good guys fighting for land and freedom?

I’ll give you an example, going back quite a few thousand years, if the UN existed, do you think it would have sided with Egyptian Pharaohs against the stateless Jews?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,810
    Tonight, I found out that "growing the beard" is the opposite of "jumping the shark".

Yup. Jonathan Frakes playing William T Riker going into Season 2 of Star Trek: The Next Generation. That beard.

What an epitaph.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

He's not dim, but unfortunately he does seem to see most of the country as cells on a spreadsheet. (There's a line in Alan Clark's diaries about his view that very intelligent people can only think very short term or very long term with nothing in between. I wonder if there's something similar here.)

Meanwhile, this is glorious;

https://x.com/keiranpedley/status/1759970566776197307?s=20
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,073
    edited February 20

HYUFD said:

Of course you can't, its clear nonsense. An attention whore and money making scam by someone.

British law is entirely clear that British citizens (both dual national and exclusively British nationals) are perfectly entitled to fight for other countries legal armies.

And if those British nationals are dual-nationals, they might be in their own (other) nation's army in which case what on earth do you think you're going to do about it?

What if the other countries legal army were actually the villains of the piece, stolen someone’s land, and the other protagonist were the good guys fighting for land and freedom?

I’ll give you an example, going back quite a few thousand years, if the UN existed, do you think it would have sided with Egyptian Pharaohs against the stateless Jews?
    Never mind the UN, it's covered by UK law. The Foreign Enlistment Act 1870 covers fighting wars. Or if it isn't, I'd like to see a reasoned argument why not.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,681
    edited February 20
    eek said:

pigeon said:

algarkirk said:

I notice electoral calculus is showing the Tories on 99. That must be the fewest seats on the website, surely?

They, Electoral Calculus, do have a rather broad spread. Their current prediction is basically that Labour will get a majority of between 24 and 420. Even this broad prediction is outside what I think the result (NOM) will be.
    Someone else who thinks the likelihood of the Torypocalypse, as much as they deserve it, has been overdone. There aren't many of us left!

But yes, the boundaries on Electoral Calculus are vast. It'd be mildly interesting to know whom the shell shocked 99 survivors are meant to be, though I'd bet one of them would be ours. Two factors discourage me from bothering to turn out to vote: the conviction that Labour are unlikely to do much better than the current dross, and the total immovability of the incumbent.
    Given that you expect NoM can you tell me how that is going to be achieved based on the current polling (15-20% gap in party polling and a 40+% gap in net approval rating)?

These ratings have now been consistent for over a year - I just can't see anything that is going to shift them especially the amount needed to end up with a hung Parliament...
    It's a guess. That's how the future is. I think something like this will happen: Dirty and long campaign; Labour are subject to external attack on left and other issues; many DKs and Reform voters return to the Tories; Labour find ways of shooting themselves in the foot over tax, anti semitism, Islamism, Burgon appears on tellyism; very low turnout by the centre and the left; Starmer fails to galvanise the young vote to turn out; less tactical voting than expected. Also, between now and the election another black swan of some sort. This will be bad for Labour because they start so well they have no upside. Tories unite to fight campaign.

Result: Labour about 310 seats - a gain of 108 seats, which is remarkable but still a NOM.

One sliver of evidence: Kingswood swing only 16%. Labour have said nothing, but actually PB and Labour expected a much better result.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

You thinking of anyone in particular… 🫣
  • Options

Tonight, I found out that "growing the beard" is the opposite of "jumping the shark".

Yup. Jonathan Frakes playing William T Riker going into Season 2 of Star Trek: The Next Generation. That beard.

What an epitaph.

Don't tell me he's snuffed it as well.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,044

HYUFD said:

He's not dim, but unfortunately he does seem to see most of the country as cells on a spreadsheet. (There's a line in Alan Clark's diaries about his view that very intelligent people can only think very short term or very long term with nothing in between. I wonder if there's something similar here.)

Meanwhile, this is glorious;

https://x.com/keiranpedley/status/1759970566776197307?s=20
    The only surprise there is that the difference is so small.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    algarkirk said:

eek said:

pigeon said:

algarkirk said:

I notice electoral calculus is showing the Tories on 99. That must be the fewest seats on the website, surely?

They, Electoral Calculus, do have a rather broad spread. Their current prediction is basically that Labour will get a majority of between 24 and 420. Even this broad prediction is outside what I think the result (NOM) will be.
    Someone else who thinks the likelihood of the Torypocalypse, as much as they deserve it, has been overdone. There aren't many of us left!

But yes, the boundaries on Electoral Calculus are vast. It'd be mildly interesting to know whom the shell shocked 99 survivors are meant to be, though I'd bet one of them would be ours. Two factors discourage me from bothering to turn out to vote: the conviction that Labour are unlikely to do much better than the current dross, and the total immovability of the incumbent.
    Given that you expect NoM can you tell me how that is going to be achieved based on the current polling (15-20% gap in party polling and a 40+% gap in net approval rating)?

These ratings have now been consistent for over a year - I just can't see anything that is going to shift them especially the amount needed to end up with a hung Parliament...
    It's a guess. That's how the future is. I think something like this will happen: Dirty and long campaign; Labour are subject to external attack on left and other issues; many DKs and Reform voters return to the Tories; Labour find ways of shooting themselves in the foot over tax, anti semitism, Islamism, Burgon appears on tellyism; very low turnout by the centre and the left; Starmer fails to galvanise the young vote to turn out; less tactical voting than expected. Also, between now and the election another black swan of some sort. This will be bad for Labour because they start so well they have no upside. Tories unite to fight campaign.

Result: Labour about 310 seats - a gain of 108 seats, which is remarkable but still a NOM.

One sliver of evidence: Kingswood swing only 16%. Labour have said nothing, but actually PB and Labour expected a much better result.
    That’s very funny 🥲

In the real world, LLG is 60% and ready for some blue toppling with tactical voting. If Labour do hit some problems, does the LLG drop very much, or just shared in a different way?
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162

Does Rishi Sunak have any common sense at all? At this point it feels like he is doing it on purpose.
    Spread bet on Tory seats?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

War crimes.

That happens in wars, especially in wars fought in urban areas where the defender makes a policy of using civilians and civilian infrastructure as defensive shields (which is itself a war crime).

There is no obligation on combatants to avoid civilian casualties, only to minimise them as far as is possible within the context of fighting legitimate targets. FWIW, I don't think Israel has always done that, nor has it made adequate provision for civilian support in the areas it has occupied but those are issues that sit far higher up the command chain.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,775
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Never mind the UN, it's covered by UK law. The Foreign Enlistment Act 1870 covers fighting wars. Or if it isn't, I'd like to see a reasoned argument why not.
    It is perfectly possible to prosecute someone fighting in any army for war crimes.

They have to have been responsible for committing such a crime, as defined in the various conventions and treaties on the subject.

From the tenor of the Twatter messages, I will bet that they will be trying for a novel interpretation, trying to make service in the Israeli army itself, a crime.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,315
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Interesting thread from a Dem operative:

Kaivan Shroff
    @KaivanShroff
    ·
    Feb 19
    Some delusional scenario where the party instead anoints a Biden replacement at the Democratic National Convention in August, just over 3 months away from election day, and then that candidate goes on to defeat Trump is beyond even Aaron Sorkin’s imagination.

Kaivan Shroff
    @KaivanShroff
    ·
    Feb 19
    Joe Biden is the best candidate to beat Donald Trump in just 9 months. Even if he wasn’t, there is no time left and there are no alternatives.

https://twitter.com/KaivanShroff/status/1759627786455544007

The judges and juries in Trump's criminal trials may have more influence on the election result than whoever the Democratic nominee is, Biden or not
    Unless he is barred from running somehow through legal processes he is the nominee.

GOP will make him nominee even if he is in prison.

Yes but Independents will be far more likely to hold their nose and vote for Biden again if Trump is sent to jail, even if 30-40% of US voters still vote for Trump even if he is in jail on election day ie his MAGA core vote
    Plenty of Republicans say they won't vote for Trump if he is convicted of something that puts him in jail.
This discussion has been closed.