Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s deficit in the cuts “blame game” tracker drops to

13»

Comments

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Given that institutions are "assets" according to Alex Salmond, surely Scotland should get their "share" of all assets of the United Kingdom. It could continue to share the Bank of England, the UK armed forces, the Foreign Office, the UK parliament....

Oh wait, institutions aren't assets and he's an idiot.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,101
    edited February 2014
    Carnyx said:

Seemingly you and Mr G are going to disagree forever on whether (a) EWNI is the continuing state and Scotland is de novo, or (b) whether they are two continuing states of the UK (1707 model as modified later) which disappears on indy day.

Mr G & my opinions are neither here nor there (unless Mr G is a closet Constitutional Lawyer with hitherto obscured expertise).

Do post an academic opinion which supports (b) - and if you can, explain why the SNP has not deployed it......The UK Government has consistently claimed (a) - the Scottish Government spent tens of thousands of pounds pretending it had opinion to support (b) - but it turned out it didn't....

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Ive had my say on the murderers of Lee Rigby a long time ago, but I would be interested to hear the argument from anyone who thinks four years is sufficient for this lowlife

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/lewis-gill-killed-andrew-young-3183689
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Those were the figures from the last of my three links. It maybe that as men tend to be more physically acive already that there is less to be gained by more. Many women (white Dee?) start near zero so more to gain.

Of couse obesity and poor exercise tolerance are correlated, but the evidence is that obese people with good exercise tolerance have life expectancy not far from their slimmer peers, and both have better longevity than those fat or thin with poor exercise tolerance.

Yep. The trade off is better if you enjoy the exercise. If exercise is pure hell then the rational approach is to sit on the sofa and die young.

@foxinsoxuk - what is "exercise tolerance"?

Exercise tolerance can be a bit complicated but is well explained in this article:

http://www.worldhealth.net/news/exercise_capacity_tied_closely_with_life/

Some articles on its relationship to mortality here:
    http://m.circ.ahajournals.org/content/117/5/614.abstract

http://doctormurray.com/new-study-shows-exercise-dramatically-increases-longevity/

It seems that an hour spent on moderate exercise gains 2.6 hours of life in men, 5.6 in women, so has a decent rate of return.

Which means in my year of walking, I got just under a year of extra life. Darned, I was expecting at least a 1:1 return. ;-)
    Why is the difference so big between women and men? It's hard to believe they get over double the advantage?
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    @malcolmg

Just because Scotland would be a new state doesn't mean it can avoid it's share of debt. If the new state is given assets by the UK (and by assets, I mean actual assets, as by the definition of the word), then it gets the same share of debt. You don't get to unilaterally decide what chunk of UK assets and liabilities you get to take and what you can leave.
  • Options
    Here is an interesting picture. It is a painting of a trooper of the Scots Greys as they would have appeared at the battle of Waterloo.

http://0.static.wix.com/media/be5318_bbd39d3fb6cef66ecc812db11ba00077.jpg_1024

On the horse behind the saddle is the soldier's valise. On the end of the valise you can (just about) see the letters D, R, B, and N.

Two fun quiz questions for our Nats.

1/ What is the correct order of those letters?
    2/ What do they stand for?

No prize, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx, Carlotta is deluded so not worth discussing rationally.

Are the two professors I quote (one a former Salmond adviser) deluded also?

How about engaging with the argument?

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    isam said:

Ive had my say on the murderers of Lee Rigby a long time ago, but I would be interested to hear the argument from anyone who thinks four years is sufficient for this lowlife

10 years minimum would attract the attention of the scumbags happy to use the fist as a weapon.

• Options
    The Royal North British Dragoons
  • Options
    isam said:

"Lucky punch" cases are really difficult. The consequences of the action were out of all proportion to the action itself. It's very doubtful that the defendant intended to kill the victim. What sentence do you think is appropriate for causing death by dangerous driving?

On the other hand, I can completely understand the deep distress caused to the family.

Do we sentence on the basis of risk to society, wickedness of the act or the consequences? Each approach will produce a different answer.

I expect the defendant wasn't a charmer. But we can't set sentences on that basis alone.

Summary: it's hard and I'm firmly on the fence on this one.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,148
    edited February 2014

Carnyx said:

Seemingly you and Mr G are going to disagree forever on whether (a) EWNI is the continuing state and Scotland is de novo, or (b) whether they are two continuing states of the UK (1707 model as modified later) which disappears on indy day.

Do post an academic opinion which supports (b) - and if you can, explain why the SNP has not deployed it......The UK Government has consistently claimed (a) - the Scottish Government spent tens of thousands of pounds pretending it had opinion to support (b) - but it turned out it didn't....

I am not aware of any such statement as you suggest in your last sentence and I think you are confusing it with something else - which was nonsense anyway (and remember that the unionists have wasted far, far more public money on [edit: such things as] trying to prove that Mr Salmond didn't pay for his own biscuits and teabags when having SNP members to tea in Bute House).

On the first point, it is an academic issue, if you'll pardon my expression, as for many practical purposes the two options are indistinguishable - for instance, the Foreign Office will continue to operate out of wherever it hangs out on Whitehall, and EWNI will still operate the Washington Embassy in its current location. Of course they will, given the numerical disparities in population. I imagine also that EWNI will try to retain its nukes, its seat in the Security Council, and so on.

The critical area is in the separation agreement and as the SNP are already offering to go for one option they hardly need to pay an extra money for a legal option when it's gong to be expensive enough as it is, even with a share of the QE instruments in the Bank of England.

• Options

Here is an interesting picture. It is a painting of a trooper of the Scots Greys as they would have appeared at the battle of Waterloo.

On the horse behind the saddle is the soldier's valise. On the end of the valise you can (just about) see the letters D, R, B, and N.

No prize, I'm afraid.

It's something that historical colleagues unfamiliar to Scottish history find confusing when they find letters with the writers seemingly saying "Nota Bene" after every address ... At least the Scots tried to join in the Union. Why the southerners never did call themselves South Britain is a mystery ...
  • Options
    Socrates said:

@malcolmg

Just because Scotland would be a new state doesn't mean it can avoid it's share of debt. If the new state is given assets by the UK (and by assets, I mean actual assets, as by the definition of the word), then it gets the same share of debt. You don't get to unilaterally decide what chunk of UK assets and liabilities you get to take and what you can leave.

Course we don't. Absolutely not. But it has to be agreed by both sides. In any case ...

Ukraine leaves USSR - no debts, just has whatever is on its soil.

Czechoslovakia splits - share assets and debts.

Two precedents ...

• Options
    Carnyx said:

No prize, I'm afraid.

It's something that historical colleagues unfamiliar to Scottish history find confusing when they find letters with the writers seemingly saying "Nota Bene" after every address ... At least the Scots tried to join in the Union. Why the southerners never did call themselves South Britain is a mystery ...
    For the same reason that no one ever refers to Athens as the Edinburgh of the South.
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited February 2014
    isam said:

I don't know the facts of the case, but the judge would have been obliged to reduce the sentence by a third as a result of the guilty plea. So he would have taken six years as a starting point. The Court of Appeal gave guidance on one-punch manslaughter cases in Attorney General's Reference Nos 60, 62 and 63 of 2009 [2010] 2 Cr App R(S) 46, which binds the Crown Court. In one of the cases before the court (Bryan), the sentence was increased to five years after a guilty plea, (i.e. seven and a half years if the trial had been contested). However, in that case, the violence extended to more than one punch. The Judge in the instant case may have thought accordingly that a reduction of a quarter from the sentence imposed on Byran by the Court of Appeal was justified given that the violence of the offender he was sentencing consisted of only the single punch. Judges in the Crown Court are bound by authority and cannot depart from it.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,765
    edited February 2014
    Somerset Cybernats Wings Over Scotland make their crowdfunding target of £53k in just over 8 hours (plus a one-off donation of £10k); must be close to a record if these things are recorded. Thanks to all PBers for their contributions.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I am not aware of any such statement as you suggest in your last sentence and I think you are confusing it with something else - which was nonsense anyway (and remember that the unionists have wasted far, far more public money on trying to prove that Mr Salmond didn't pay for his own biscuits and teabags when having SNP members to tea in Bute House).

On the first point, it is an academic issue, if you'll pardon my expression, as for many practical purposes the two options are indistinguishable - for instance, the Foreign Office will continue to operate out of wherever it hangs out on Whitehall, and EWNI will still operate the Washington Embassy in its current location. Of course they will, given the numerical disparities in population. I imagine also that EWNI will try to retain its nukes, its seat in the Security Council, and so on.

The critical area is in the separation agreement and as the SNP are already offering to go for one option they hardly need to pay an extra money for a legal option when it's gong to be expensive enough as it is, even with a share of the QE instruments in the Bank of England.

In international law, both sides have to agree before Scotland can become an independent country. Everything else is just detail. The issue is how you get to an agreement when one side can live with things as they are and the other cannot. What bargaining tools does Scotland have? In practice, the Scots will be almost entirely dependent on the goodwill of the rUK side. And that essentially means an agreement the rUK dictates.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Salmond's piece in the New Statesman 'Scottish' edition:

http://tinyurl.com/phmyvft

Interestingly Salmond does not seek to dispute this:

The Treasury further argued that the UK is the continuing state in international law, and so Scotland is not entitled to a share of the Bank of England, among other things.
    The background is that, in terms of public international law, what would e rUK and an independent Scotland.
    Adam Tomkins, John Millar Professor of Public Law at the University of Glasgow

http://notesfromnorthbritain.wordpress.com/2014/01/28/the-hidden-costs-of-independence/
    Yes and surprise surprise all the debt becomes the debt of the rUK, as Salmond has said many times recently. Now you are beginning to see the light.
    To quote Professor John Kay, former advisor to Cameron:

the suggestion Scotland might walk away from UK debt is another example of playground bluster).

And Professor Alan Tomkins

As for Scotland refusing its share of the national debt, this is basket-case economics. The debt is currently the UK’s. In order to reassure creditors (and to preserve its credit-rating) the Treasury has made plain that it will continue to honour the debt even in the event of Scottish independence. But this does not mean that Scotland would be born debt-free. On the contrary, as part of the separation negotiations the rUK would secure from Scotland an agreement to service an equitable share of the UK’s debt. There is no chance that Scotland could walk away from this obligation without punishing consequences being imposed at the hands of the international money markets.
    So you are another one that believes rUK can just take all the assets but dump the debt onto Scotland, you are dreaming.
    I am quoting two Professors - one of Economics, the other of Law....

You are confusing 'institutions' which stay with rUK, with 'assets and liabilities' which are apportioned between the two parties.

Sterling is not an 'asset' - its a monetary instrument of the UK Government.

The Bank of England is not an 'asset' - its an institution of the UK.

British Embassies are not 'assets' - they are part of the 'institution' of the UK.

But go ahead, cite a Professor of Law or Economics who shares your view......

To be fair, though, the BoE FX reserves and the real estate used as embassies has a monetary value. So although it makes no sense for Scotland to receive a portion of those organisations, the monetary value should be considered as part of the overall division of assets
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Carnyx said:

No prize, I'm afraid.

For the same reason that no one ever refers to Athens as the Edinburgh of the South.
    No good. The one came chronologically before the other ,,,

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,784
    @isam

Please send me your back details so I can send you money!

My username at gmail.com

Thanks
  • Options
    Nick Clegg making those post-election coalition negotiations with Labour that bit easier:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/feb/26/tessa-jowell-harriet-harman-daily-mail-paedophila-row
  • Options
    antifrank said:

isam said:

"Lucky punch" cases are really difficult. The consequences of the action were out of all proportion to the action itself. It's very doubtful that the defendant intended to kill the victim. What sentence do you think is appropriate for causing death by dangerous driving?

On the other hand, I can completely understand the deep distress caused to the family.

Do we sentence on the basis of risk to society, wickedness of the act or the consequences? Each approach will produce a different answer.

I expect the defendant wasn't a charmer. But we can't set sentences on that basis alone.

I think the sentence is being reviewed on the back of complaints from the public

Do we take into account the victims mental illness? I guess the guy that killed him couldn't have been sure of that, but to say he thought he might pull a gun seems a bit frivolous

I don't think you have to take the defendants personality into account too much. I don't think of myself as a bad person at all, but if I punched a mentally challenged person in broad daylight for any reason other than self defence, I would then be a bad person no matter what

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

In international law, both sides have to agree before Scotland can become an independent country. Everything else is just detail.

I don't think that is true; the principle of the right to self-determination is fundamental to international law. The correct position is: in international law, the Scots have an unfettered and unconditional right to independence if that is what they want. Agreement with anyone on anything is just detail.

• Options
    The Edinburgh of the South is surely the delightful city of Dunedin in New Zealand, it even has a statue of Burns in its central "square" the Octagon: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunedin

Better climate than the one in the north of Britain, and I am told more pipe bands also.
    antifrank said:

Carnyx said:

No prize, I'm afraid.

• Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    Ishmael_X said:

In international law, both sides have to agree before Scotland can become an independent country. Everything else is just detail.

I don't think that is true; the principle of the right to self-determination is fundamental to international law. The correct position is: in international law, the Scots have an unfettered and unconditional right to independence if that is what they want. Agreement with anyone on anything is just detail.

In reality, nothing in international law is ever quite that simple.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Call to arms from Mr Tebbit:

"Both Labour and Conservative Party memberships are in freefall. If all those deploring where the geat parties have gone wrong were to get out there, join up and take control from the bottom up, which is what my friends and I did in the late Sixties, they could put things right. It is harder work that sitting at a computer, but it is the way forward. If you don't take it then you are consenting to what is being done by those who did."

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/normantebbit/100261368/david-cameron-cannot-admit-the-coalition-was-a-mistake-but-he-knows-it-must-be-put-out-of-its-misery/

There's a reason why political parties are in long term decline. Blaming the public for not joining them is like record companies blaming the public for not buying CDs.
    I'm quite politically aware but I really don't see the benefits of joining any political party. What benefits, if any, are there to membership?

Back in the day one grandfather was a small businessman and used to go to the Con club where he lived a lot. It was no doubt good for networking and so on. My other grandfather used to go to the working man's club, which I guess had ties with Labour.

It seems that the benefits there were to party membership have largely disappeared.
  • Options

Somerset Cybernats Wings Over Scotland make their crowdfunding target of £53k in just over 8 hours (plus a one-off donation of £10k); must be close to a record if these things are recorded. Thanks to all PBers for their contributions.

Yep. The trade off is better if you enjoy the exercise. If exercise is pure hell then the rational approach is to sit on the sofa and die young.

@foxinsoxuk - what is "exercise tolerance"?

Exercise tolerance can be a bit complicated but is well explained in this article:

http://www.worldhealth.net/news/exercise_capacity_tied_closely_with_life/

Some articles on its relationship to mortality here:
    http://m.circ.ahajournals.org/content/117/5/614.abstract

http://doctormurray.com/new-study-shows-exercise-dramatically-increases-longevity/

It seems that an hour spent on moderate exercise gains 2.6 hours of life in men, 5.6 in women, so has a decent rate of return.

Which means in my year of walking, I got just under a year of extra life. Darned, I was expecting at least a 1:1 return. ;-)
    Why is the difference so big between women and men? It's hard to believe they get over double the advantage?
    I assumed it was because they are smaller and physically weaker, hence the gearing of the exercise is greater. I have no idea though!
  • Options
    isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

I think the sentence is being reviewed on the back of complaints from the public

Do we take into account the victims mental illness? I guess the guy that killed him couldn't have been sure of that, but to say he thought he might pull a gun seems a bit frivolous

I don't think you have to take the defendants personality into account too much. I don't think of myself as a bad person at all, but if I punched a mentally challenged person in broad daylight for any reason other than self defence, I would then be a bad person no matter what

Sure, but what kind of bad person.

Many people have thrown punches on the street, with varying levels of provocation.

Are they not as bad as Gill because they were luckier in the consequences of their similar actions?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,306
    edited February 2014

I assumed it was because they are smaller and physically weaker, hence the gearing of the exercise is greater. I have no idea though!

Sad to see a regular poster go! safe travels out there (and you'll be back, PB can be pretty addictive!) ;-)

• Options
    corporeal said:

Ishmael_X said:

In reality, nothing in international law is ever quite that simple.
    True, and international law is a pretendy construct anyway because of lack of sanctions. But self-determination does make it into Art. 1 of the UN Charter.

• Options
    antifrank said:

"Both Labour and Conservative Party memberships are in freefall. If all those deploring where the geat parties have gone wrong were to get out there, join up and take control from the bottom up, which is what my friends and I did in the late Sixties, they could put things right. It is harder work that sitting at a computer, but it is the way forward. If you don't take it then you are consenting to what is being done by those who did."

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/normantebbit/100261368/david-cameron-cannot-admit-the-coalition-was-a-mistake-but-he-knows-it-must-be-put-out-of-its-misery/

There's a reason why political parties are in long term decline. Blaming the public for not joining them is like record companies blaming the public for not buying CDs.
    To carry that metaphor on, that they're not buying CDs doesn't mean they're not interested in music.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    corporeal said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

Sure, but what kind of bad person.

Many people have thrown punches on the street, with varying levels of provocation.

Are they not as bad as Gill because they were luckier in the consequences of their similar actions?
    Im not claiming to have the answer but I would think the level of provocation and the size/mental capacity/sex of the victim should be factors also

Don't think it can get much worse than this one really.. the footage is on the news and he was not provoked at all
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

The problem is when that unfettered right runs up against realpolitik. Scotland's alternatives are: (1) unilaterally declaring independence, with all the disastrous consequences that entails - forfeiture of all UK assets, trade sanctions, inability to access financial markets, exclusion from all international bodies etc; or (2) negotiating a separation agreement with the rUK. And that's it.

• Options
    isam said:

Im not claiming to have the answer but I would think the level of provocation and the size/mental capacity/sex of the victim should be factors also

Don't think it can get much worse than this one really.. the footage is on the news and he was not provoked at all

The issue is less provocation but intention. The defendant did not intend to kill or to cause grievous bodily harm. He falls to be sentenced on that basis.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Wot he said: Guilty-plea for man-slaughter: Maybe the CPS are becoming more effective? Or maybe, if he was a 'convert', Keir-today-no-sentence-ever...?

• Options

Ishmael_X said:

The problem is when that unfettered right runs up against realpolitik. Scotland's alternatives are: (1) unilaterally declaring independence, with all the disastrous consequences that entails - forfeiture of all UK assets, trade sanctions, inability to access financial markets, exclusion from all international bodies etc; or (2) negotiating a separation agreement with the rUK. And that's it.

Yes, but faced with a Yes vote and that unfettered right rUK won't be in a position to play unlimited hardball in negotiations. I imagine we may end up with some sort of supranational conciliation and mediation commission to sort out the details.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,425

The Edinburgh of the South is surely the delightful city of Dunedin in New Zealand, it even has a statue of Burns in its central "square" the Octagon: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunedin

Better climate than the one in the north of Britain, and I am told more pipe bands also.

antifrank said:

Carnyx said:

No prize, I'm afraid.

The scots aren't much good at piping these days.
  • Options
    Charles said:

To be fair, though, the BoE FX reserves and the real estate used as embassies has a monetary value. So although it makes no sense for Scotland to receive a portion of those organisations, the monetary value should be considered as part of the overall division of assets

And Scots' banknotes are underwritten by PLCs: And therefore their share-holders should have BoE protection from eejit rapacious Scots' politicians? So that is a 50% devaluation* come the - welcomed feck-orf - Scots' Independence-Day, no?

:to-share-or-bleat-ask-the-scots-nats-sheep:

* Assets are English (with pocket-money for the Welch and the Ulster-Sctos)....

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,422

Which is what the Militant Tendency did!
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

So the nats get indy because they've wheeled out the Osborne bogeyman and the first thing they have to do is negotiate with the Osborne bogeyman with all that goodwill.

I sometimes get the feeling they've not really thought this through.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

Yes, but faced with a Yes vote and that unfettered right rUK won't be in a position to play unlimited hardball in negotiations. I imagine we may end up with some sort of supranational conciliation and mediation commission to sort out the details.

Only if both sides agree. You cannot force conciliation and mediation on anyone. And there will be internal political calls to make before going ahead - will it be binding and/or will it have to be approved by referendum in both Scotland and the rUK, for example? But if we do end up with that, we are talking about a process that is going to last for a very long time. That won't be an issue for the putative rUK, of course - although it could become one if the SNP holds the balance of power at Westminster.

• Options

Ishmael_X said:

So the nats get indy because they've wheeled out the Osborne bogeyman and the first thing they have to do is negotiate with the Osborne bogeyman with all that goodwill.

The ones who believe Scotland should have its own currency have thought it through. The rest have either not bothered, or have but don't like the consequences. My guess is that it's the latter mostly - at least among the SNP leadership.
  • Options
    Get plenty of exercise on youf travels. I tracked down this link on exercise vs weight for those who are interested. Overweight people often find exercise difficult, but swimming tends to be a good place to start as fat makes for bouyancy.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/12December/Pages/Study-may-bust-myth-of-fat-and-fit-healthy-obesity.aspx

RobD said:

Sad to see a regular poster go! safe travels out there (and you'll be back, PB can be pretty addictive!) ;-)

• Options

Ishmael_X said:

The ones who believe Scotland should have its own currency have thought it through. The rest have either not bothered, or have but don't like the consequences. My guess is that it's the latter mostly - at least among the SNP leadership.
    Yup. I've always said issue their own currency, but as you say it'll frighten the voters.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited February 2014

Carnyx said:

I assume the 4% saying neither are Nats blaming the English?

At that level of response? Far too many to be SNP or even pro-indy types. Forbye the SNP would be far more likely to blame Labour and the Tories together. More likely to be people thinking of the City bankers.

Could be Telegraph readers, PB Unionists & Heffer fans blaming it all on Salmond for his three line 'Yours for Scotland' note to Goodwin?
    Wait till you see the awesome fund raising power of the scottish tory surger old biddies and the yellow tories. (Assuming they can find someone who isn't embroiled in fraud and arms deals investigations.)
    jaydeepee ‏@reddeviljp 12h

'Benefactor Sudhir Choudhrie who donated £500,000 to Lib Dem party is named as arms dealer on Indian police list' http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/feb/14/lib-dems-party-donor-choudhrie-undesirable

Winterfell ‏@Winterfell52 Feb 19

Feb 2014 - Clegg schmoozed Liberal Democrat donor at the centre of bribes probe http://dailym.ai/1owsP3g

Teddy Mcnabb ‏@McnabbTeddy Feb 15

Lib Dem donor jailed for fleeing £8m fraud trial http://gu.com/p/38hh2/tw via @guardian @LibDems been visiting your mate :) #birdsofafeather
    :)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    YuriBCN #SíSí ‏@yuribcn Feb 25

Spain PM says Catalan #independence referendum 'illegal' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26341833 … What kind of #democracy makes voting 'illegal'?!
    That's bound to help. Clearly he's thought this through. Maybe they should send Osbrowne and the fop over to tell them what's what?

*chortle*
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Spain PM says Catalan #independence referendum 'illegal' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26341833 … What kind of #democracy makes voting 'illegal'?!
    That's bound to help. Clearly he's thought this through. Maybe they should send Osbrowne and the fop over to tell them what's what?

*chortle*

*chortle*

that's the mad bustard you think will let you into the EU

*chortle* *chortle*

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    If Scots vote to leave the UK they will be voting to lose the BBC too, minister warns

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2568306/If-Scots-vote-leave-UK-voting-lose-BBC-minister-warns.html

Silly statements like this will only make Scottish floating voters go to the yes camp,where the hell is the positive keep the union together campaign,lucky I'm in the Yes camp ;-)
  • Options
    The ever gullible Eurosceptics look set to be taken for fools yet again.
    Alan Crawford ‏@ACBerlin 5h

She's going to mention the war: Merkel Said to Urge Stronger EU in Disappointment to Cameron http://bloom.bg/1hmasKt via @BloombergNews

Carsten Volkery ‏@CarstenVolkery 11h

"The expectations of the British press are clearly too high", says Merkel's spokesman. via @BloombergNews http://bloom.bg/1hmasKt

Rod Butler UKIP ‏@OhBrokenBritain 2h

Cameron listen up. EU warns UK to 'think twice' over curbing migrants benefits or face 'conflict' | UK | News | http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/461899/EU-warns-UK-to-think-twice-over-curbing-migrants-benefits-or-face-conflict
    Hilariously gullible Eurosceptics. When will they ever learn?

*chortle* *chortle* *chortle*
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,422
    Mick_Pork said:

Carnyx said:

At that level of response? Far too many to be SNP or even pro-indy types. Forbye the SNP would be far more likely to blame Labour and the Tories together. More likely to be people thinking of the City bankers.

Could be Telegraph readers, PB Unionists & Heffer fans blaming it all on Salmond for his three line 'Yours for Scotland' note to Goodwin?
    Wait till you see the awesome fund raising power of the scottish tory surger old biddies and the yellow tories. (Assuming they can find someone who isn't embroiled in fraud and arms deals investigations.)

'Benefactor Sudhir Choudhrie who donated £500,000 to Lib Dem party is named as arms dealer on Indian police list' http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/feb/14/lib-dems-party-donor-choudhrie-undesirable

Feb 2014 - Clegg schmoozed Liberal Democrat donor at the centre of bribes probe http://dailym.ai/1owsP3g

Lib Dem donor jailed for fleeing £8m fraud trial http://gu.com/p/38hh2/tw via @guardian @LibDems been visiting your mate :) #birdsofafeather

Although as a Liberal Party agent in the 70's I was told I was spending the last of the Lloyd George "fund" I feel disgusted at some of the activities of Clegg (and I suspect Rennard's) LibDems.

I suppose it's the Greens or NOTA in 2014 & 2015.

Just maybe the LibDems, though, because they're the only genuinely pro-EU party. Round here, anyway.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

*chortle*

It is illegal as under the Spanish constitution, which the Catalans backed by a huge majority in a referendum in 1978, Spain is an indivisible territory. In any case, the solution to the Catalan problem is a change of Madrid government away.
  • Options

If Scots vote to leave the UK they will be voting to lose the BBC too, minister warns

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2568306/If-Scots-vote-leave-UK-voting-lose-BBC-minister-warns.html

Silly statements like this will only make Scottish floating voters go to the yes camp,where the hell is the positive keep the union together campaign,lucky I'm in the Yes camp ;-)

We should leave it as one of the assets in the divorce. :-)
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

where the hell is the positive keep the union together campaign

It's tougher to present a positive case for voting 'no' anyway. But when the people who have taken on the role of advocating for 'no' cant agree on what that positive case is then it's more difficult still. In the end people arent asked their reasons for voting 'yes' or 'no' though.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

They're scraping the bottom of the barrel these days to be sure.
    Andy Lewis ‏@lecanardnoir Feb 22

Satire and Daily Mail Reality: Scotland will not be able to join Eurovision. http://qako.me/1jw3x1F [Daily Mail] http://qako.me/1bX2AjG
    Next thing you know the scottish tory surgers and yellow tories will be dumb enough to think just because Cammie and Osbrowne say it must mean it's true.

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Judy Murray interviewed by Alex Salmond for the New Statesman...a sign of the way Andy is leaning?
  • Options

Mick_Pork said:

Carnyx said:

Although as a Liberal Party agent in the 70's I was told I was spending the last of the Lloyd George "fund" I feel disgusted at some of the activities of Clegg (and I suspect Rennard's) LibDems.

Your suspicions would seem to be well founded.
    John Baguley ‏@johnbaguley 28 Jun 2012

Lord Rennard will talk on major donor fundraising free live stream 10:30 Swiss time from feed from http://www.ifc.tc #SIFCGeneva
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

They're scraping the bottom of the barrel these days to be sure.
    Andy Lewis ‏@lecanardnoir Feb 22

Satire and Daily Mail Reality: Scotland will not be able to join Eurovision. http://qako.me/1jw3x1F [Daily Mail] http://qako.me/1bX2AjG
    Next thing you know the scottish tory surgers and yellow tories will be dumb enough to think just because Cammie and Osbrowne say it must mean it's true.

No no Mick we all believe Salmond because his promises are just so credible.
  • Options

Agreed - it's a silly thing to say, though why the Scots would want to keep the BBC is a puzzle, as nationalists consistently tell us how the Scots are becoming less and less like everyone else in Britain.

• Options
    Danny565 said:

Judy Murray interviewed by Alex Salmond for the New Statesman...a sign of the way Andy is leaning?

You do realise that Judy and Andy are two different people, two different voters. Andy is an adult and may not necessarily share his mother's views.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,411

Pulpstar said:

Pop quiz question - Given the likely hard time Adebelajo will face in prison, of which there is no prospect of ending, could one not argue that a penalty of death would be a more humane and merciful sentence ?

Why on earth should those guilty of such a heinous and brutal crime be deserving of any mercy or humanity?

The judge should have requested that they serve their time at the military prison in Colchester.
    Judging by his article on Comment is Free, Peter Hain would think he merits immunity from prosecution.

• Options
    Danny565 said:

Andy lives in England. I assume he doesn't get a referendum vote.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    "... where the hell is the positive keep the union together campaign ..."

I dunno, I never hear any. No reason why I should of course, not being in Scotland and all. I suppose it is possible that nobody can think of any positive reasons why the Union should remain, I certainly can't from the English perspective.
  • Options

I'm sure a lot of English folk would like to give us the bloody thing for free.

• Options

Agreed - it's a silly thing to say, though why the Scots would want to keep the BBC is a puzzle, as nationalists consistently tell us how the Scots are becoming less and less like everyone else in Britain.

The story is a lot of mince for all sorts of reasons. Does nothing to encourage the No Campaign to be taken seriously. Never mind Ms Miller.

if the BBC is owned by the state then we'd expect a share of the assets (or just the bits on Scots soil, though as I believe they have been sold off to commercial companies for lease back, we need not worry about them).

Future progs would have to be bought in and so on, of course. But that is PERFECTLY NORMAL and as much of the comment elsewhere has pointed out, lots of people in other countries get the BBC for free anyway.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

I am confident that Scotland would end up with a replacement lefty-groupthink top-heavy biased broadcaster with a pay-up-or-go-to-jail method of funding pretty soon after independence anyway.

In fact, they should just take the whole of the existing one with them and save a sensible rUK government the hassle of privatising it.

• Options
    Danny565 said:

Not published yet?

• Options

So that's a nailed on guaranteed present to each Scottish household of £145.50 a year, and rising, for voting Yes.

Clever move.

• Options
    Òmnium Cultural ‏@omnium Feb 23

1.6 milions people participated in a 300mi human chain for Catalan independence in 2013 #CatalansWantToVote #MWC14 http://ow.ly/tQZ7K
    They must all be nasty and odious nationalists. Certainly not the type that yellow tories would deign to respect. :)
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

The story is a lot of mince for all sorts of reasons. Does nothing to encourage the No Campaign to be taken seriously. Never mind Ms Miller.

if the BBC is owned by the state then we'd expect a share of the assets (or just the bits on Scots soil, though as I believe they have been sold off to commercial companies for lease back, we need not worry about them).

Future progs would have to be bought in and so on, of course. But that is PERFECTLY NORMAL and as much of the comment elsewhere has pointed out, lots of people in other countries get the BBC for free anyway.

Seems perfectly reasonable for BBC Scotland property and locations to be transferred to a new national broadcaster, if that's what the Scots want. This looks like one of the easier parts of the negotiation.

• Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Òmnium Cultural ‏@omnium Feb 23

1.6 milions people participated in a 300mi human chain for Catalan independence in 2013 #CatalansWantToVote #MWC14 http://ow.ly/tQZ7K
    They must all be nasty and odious nationalists. Certainly not the type that yellow tories would deign to respect. :)

That's the highest number I have seen for the chain. It means that a large majority of Catalans did not take part, of course.

I do indeed have very little respect for nationalism as a political creed. But there are plenty of very pleasant Catalan nationalists, a number of whom are my friends.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Carnyx said:

It's also going to be crunch time for the BBC next charter renewal which is due 2016 I think.
    Doesn't matter who is in power at westminster as the BBC are a dinosaur when it comes to funding and content delivery methods. Having an iPlayer does not constitute a compelling reason to keep a frankly archaic and bizarre method of payment for content across a myriad of platforms. They'll be moving to some kind of freemium service soon enough with an ever smaller chunk of the license fee being used as that is eventually phased out. What party leader wouldn't want to have an election promise to slash the license fee? Technology is what was always going to force real change on the bloated and incompetent BBC bureaucracy as the way TV is watched now has changed beyond all recognition. Particularly for the younger generations.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

I do indeed have very little respect for nationalism as a political creed.

You can imagine just how seriously any nationalist would take that 'respect' from a supporter of unprincipled and despised yellow tories like calamity Clegg.
    Andrew McCarthy ‏@TheBigfellainc Feb 20

@nick_clegg not sure what planet you're on food bank figures say so much.You are robbing the poor to feed the rich.#indecent #openyoureyes
    Or indeed Romney.

LOL
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

You can imagine just how seriously any nationalist would take that 'respect' from a supporter of unprincipled and despised yellow tories like calamity Clegg.

@nick_clegg not sure what planet you're on food bank figures say so much.You are robbing the poor to feed the rich.#indecent #openyoureyes
    Or indeed Romney.

LOL

Don't tell fibs about me being a Romney or Clegg supporter Mick. You can do better than that.

• Options
    edited February 2014

Mick_Pork said:

Or indeed Romney.

LOL

Don't tell fibs about me being a Romney or Clegg supporter Mick. You can do better than that.

You were the sites foremost PB Romney whether you like it or not and calamity Clegg is the leader of the lib dem yellow tories whether you like it or not.

Your somewhat rabid attitude to Independence is amusing though it is of course of no consequence whatsoever. Your assertions are no more convincing than Cammie or Osborne's and certainly no more convincing to the scottish public. The fact that you don't seem to have a clue that there is such a thing as BritNats or Spanish nationalists speaks for itself. Scottish nationalism bad, Brit nationalism good, is that it?

Riiiiight.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

Or indeed Romney.

LOL

You were the sites foremost PB Romney whether you like it or not and calamity Clegg is the leader of the lib dem yellow tories whether you like it or not.

Your somewhat rabid attitude to Independence is amusing though it is of course of no consequence whatsoever. Your assertions are no more convincing than Cammie or Osborne's and certainly no more convincing to the scottish public. The fact that you don't seem to have a clue that there is such a thing as BritNats or Spanish nationalists speaks for itself. Scottish nationalism bad, Brit nationalism good, is that it?

Riiiiight.

Nope - I dislike British and Spanish nationalism too. And thinking Romney was going to win did not make me a supporter. And I am not a LibDem. I understand that you prefer to play the man rather than engage with the issues, but if you're going to do that it's best not to fib.

• Options

Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

Or indeed Romney.

LOL

Riiiiight.

And I am not a LibDem.

ROFL

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

Or indeed Romney.

LOL

Riiiiight.

And I am not a LibDem.
    ROFL

That's a very peculiar response. Perhaps you're embarrassed by your fibs.

• Options

Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

Or indeed Romney.

LOL

Riiiiight.

And I am not a LibDem.
    ROFL

That's a very peculiar response. Perhaps you're embarrassed by your fibs.

Perhaps I'm just laughing at yours chum. :)

• Options
    How proud you must be as a spanish nationalist.
    IndyBarcelona ‏@IndySants 5h

"#Catalonia will always be #Spain, by police means or army means. You will not vote" Spanish police [CAT/SPA] http://www.vilaweb.cat/noticia/4175752/20140226/catalunya-espanya-via-civil-militar-diu-president-dhonor-sup.html
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

"#Catalonia will always be #Spain, by police means or army means. You will not vote" Spanish police [CAT/SPA] http://www.vilaweb.cat/noticia/4175752/20140226/catalunya-espanya-via-civil-militar-diu-president-dhonor-sup.html

Why would I be proud of a political philosophy I dislike? You're flailing Mick and telling more fibs. Silly.

• Options
    edited February 2014

Mick_Pork said:

Why would I be proud of a political philosophy I dislike?

Someone who was whining about nasty Catalan nationalists sounds exactly like a Spanish nationalist to me and I suspect anyone not fooled by your constant evasion and attempts to portray yourself as some kind of ludicrous impartial observer. You're not and you made a complete fool of yourself on PB over Romney. So we can safely discard your predictions and analysis in the bin along with your barely concealed hatred of the very idea of Independence.

So by all means keep fibbing if you think it makes your whining any more credible.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

Why would I be proud of a political philosophy I dislike?
    Someone who was whining about nasty Catalan nationalists sounds exactly like a Spanish nationalist to me and I suspect anyone not fooled by your constant evasion and attempts to portray yourself as some kind of ludicrous impartial observer. You're not and you made a complete fool of yourself on PB over Romney. So we can safely discard your predictions and analysis in the bin along with your barely concealed hatred of the very idea of Independence.

So by all means keep fibbing if you think it makes your whining any more credible.

So, to summarise: you have lied about me being a Romney supporter; lied about me being a LibDem; lied about me claiming to be an impartial observer; and lied about me being a Spanish nationalist. All this while proving incapable of being able to engage with any issues. I do understand you have a need to attack those whose views you don't share, but if you're going to do that it's probably best not to dissemble so obviously.

• Options
    edited February 2014

So, to summarise: you have lied about me being a Romney supporter

Calm down dear. Your bizarre Romney outpourings are infamous on here and whining about them now won't change that.

lied about me being a LibDem

Did you vote for them in 2010 or not? If not why on earth do you keep posting on here since you have no clear political beliefs or party? Though to be fair that sounds an ideal philosophy for a Clegg supporter too embarrassed to admit it.

lied about me claiming to be an impartial observer

I said portray yourself as an impartial observer petal. Get it right. Which everyone knows you try to do albeit unsuccesfully.

and lied about me being a Spanish nationalist.

I think it's far more likely you are lying over that given your rabid comments about Catalan Independence.

All this while proving incapable of being able to engage with any issues.

What issues would these be? All you ever seem to do is repeat feeble assertions given by Cammie and Osbrowne over Independence and currency while perpetuating some laughably pompous belief that what they say must be true - in the precise same manner you swept aside all those who were laughing at your completely unfounded belief that Romney was going to win

I do understand you have a need to attack those whose views you don't share, but if you're going to do that it's probably best not to dissemble so obviously.

Don't be so hypocritical chum. Whining about lies as you pile on the BritNat spin over independence just makes you look an even bigger fool than your Romney stupidity did.

Nice to see a Spanish nationalist like yourself couldn't even manage to criticise the revolting and undemocratic possibility of the Spanish army and police 'sorting out' Catalan Independence. Speaks volumes.

As far as political opponents go even the scottish tory surgers are more formidable than you
  • Options
    Micky mate, you've been caught fibbing. Clearly, it's made you quite cross. I'm sorry about that, but what can we do? It is what it is.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Micky mate, you've been caught fibbing.

LOL

Assertions are all you have just like your heroically stupid assertion that Romney would win.
    You're a joke on here chum. Better accept it since your continued fibbing won't fool anyone.

You whine about issues then ignore me dealing with every one of your feeble 'points'.
    Clearly Independence makes you cross and as 'eccentric' as Romney did, I'm sorry about that, but what can we do? It is what it is.

You seriously think you get a free pass on repeating tory stupidity on Independence just because you want to pretend you are impartial and don't want to admit who you support?

No chance.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

LOL

Assertions are all you have just like your heroically stupid assertion that Romney would win.
    You're a joke on here chum. Better accept it since your continued fibbing won't fool anyone.

You whine about issues then ignore me dealing with every one of your feeble 'points'.
    Clearly Independence makes you cross and as 'eccentric' as Romney did, I'm sorry about that, but what can we do? It is what it is.

You seriously think you get a free pass on repeating tory stupidity on Independence just because you want to pretend you are impartial and don't want to admit who you support?

No chance.

I think you should continue telling fibs about me and my beliefs. It does rather undermine your attack the man strategy. So, carry on dissembling. Please.

• Options
    edited February 2014

Mick_Pork said:

LOL

No chance.

I think you I should continue telling fibs about me and my beliefs. It does rather undermine your my attack the man strategy. So Let me carry on dissembling. Please.

Fixed that for you. You don't have any beliefs, remember? Well, apart from your belief Romney would win and you seeming to be fine with the army and police being sent in to 'deal with' Catalan Independence. Which sounds precisely like the kind of thing a Spanish nationalist would be fine with, doesn't it?

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

LOL

No chance.

I think you I should continue telling fibs about me and my beliefs. It does rather undermine your my attack the man strategy. So Let me carry on dissembling. Please.

Fixed that for you. You don't have any beliefs, remember? Well, apart from your belief Romney would win and you seeming to be fine with the army and police being sent in to 'deal with' Catalan Independence. Which sounds precisely like the kind of thing a Spanish nationalist would be fine with, doesn't it?

Absolutely Mick. You are in no way flailing. Please continue ...

• Options

Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

LOL

No chance.

Translation - Assertion + pretence of being fine with it = feeble.

Still no sign of you condemning the police and army being sent in to 'deal with' Catalan Independence Mr Spanish Nationalist.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

LOL

No chance.

Translation - Assertion + pretence of being fine with it = feeble.

Still no sign of you condemning the police and army being sent in to 'deal with' Catalan Independence Mr Spanish Nationalist.

Flailing, Micky. The police and army are not being sent in to Catalonia, though I have been saying it might happen for a while, given that the Madrid government is packed full of Spanish nationalist Franco apologists, whose whole approach to what is happening in Catalonia I have regularly criticised since they came to power. But you keep on fibbing, bless you.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Bless. It only took that long for you to realise how pathetic it was you still hadn't condemned the possibility of police & army intervening in Catalonia. How 'democratic' of you.

How long do you think it will take PB to forget how hilariously wrong you were over Romney as you told all those fibs over and over again about how he would be elected President?

Which party do you support again? You still seem VERY shy about that.

LOL

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Bless. It only took that long for you to realise how pathetic it was you still hadn't condemned the possibility of police & army intervening in Catalonia. How 'democratic' of you.

How long do you think it will take PB to forget how hilariously wrong you were over Romney as you told all those fibs over and over again about how he would be elected President?

LOL

Mick, you've been caught fibbing. You know it, I know it, anyone reading this thread knows it. Move on. Bona nit.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Mick_Pork said:

LOL

Still waiting. Yellow tory? Or are you going to keep fibbing? :)

This discussion has been closed.