Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Public sympathies – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,861

darkage said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/feb/18/profits-of-uks-private-train-leasing-firms-treble-in-a-year

The train leasing firms are the real scandal of privatisation. If you wonder why we pay so much for train tickets and pay so much in subsidies and still have a crap service, the fact the leasing firms are earning a 40% profit margin might have something to do with it.

"Within parts of the rail industry, there is significant support for Roscos. One senior source said: “They’ve made big bucks, but we’ve got thousands of new trains … If [buying trains] was on the government books, schools, the NHS or police would have got the spending first.”

This is the last resort of the Continuity Supporters of Franchising. It really is a weak AF argument.

It’s remarkable how many other developed western economies have their railway wholly in the public sector, run as a public service, yet beat ours on any reasonable metric.

Whatever is left in the hands of the
    chiselling privateers, nationalise it.
    That will mean high salaries for unionised employees, frozen fares for passengers and terrible service quality and infrastructure.

There isn't a simple easy answer here. Privatisation has done a lot to improve the network.
    Compared to the current system of high salaries for managers and consultants, high and complex fares for passengers and terrible service quality and infrastructure (think CrossCountry four coach trains).
    I remember how shit British Rail was.

Do you?
    I remember it being better. Comfortable seats in trains with sufficient carriages, pulled by a proper locomotive. Carriages with compartments and side corridors. Windows that opened. Under British Rail I could get a sleeper to Bristol, Plymouth, Birmingham and Inverness from Glasgow. Through trains to a much wider range of stations. Restaurant Cars. Much more important as a passenger than maximising profits for foreign owned private companies.
    All well and good except the train rarely actually arrived in my experience. May have been able to book a sleeper but mostly meant you slept on a platform bench
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,697

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

David Lammy has suggested that a Labour government will pursue a formal defence relationship with the EU.

And how does that sit with NATO, David?

An elephant trap for Labour to wander into.
    Fine I would think.
    We already now have a formal defence relationship with Ukraine. As do France and Germany.

Why not the EU ?
    Because I don't trust the EU institutions, their treaties and their dogma as far as I can throw them.

I'm fine with a multilateral treaty with the countries themselves.
    With respect, that's your problem, rather than a real one.
    Not really, since there's no EU military yet.

Its one area where quite frankly, the EU is pissweak and irrelevant.

Nor is there going to be one anytime soon, thank goodness. The Poles haven't just spent a fortune upgrading their military just to hand the keys over to someone else.
    Fun personal anecdote. I asked a couple of the Poles I know. They are your liberal, democratic, pro EU types. @Leon would describe them as woke.

They were unhesitating in that in any EU military structure, the control should be (a) who pays most. (b) withdrawable if required for national defence.

I wonder how Germany and France would take to this?
  • Options
    AI ought to be able to drive trains without going on strike
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

David Lammy has suggested that a Labour government will pursue a formal defence relationship with the EU.

Fine I would think.
    We already now have a formal defence relationship with Ukraine. As do France and Germany.

Why not the EU ?
    Because I don't trust the EU institutions, their treaties and their dogma as far as I can throw them.

Nor is there going to be one anytime soon, thank goodness. The Poles haven't just spent a fortune upgrading their military just to hand the keys over to someone else.
    Fun personal anecdote. I asked a couple of the Poles I know. They are your liberal, democratic, pro EU types. @Leon would describe them as woke.

They were unhesitating in that in any EU military structure, the control should be (a) who pays most. (b) withdrawable if required for national defence.

France would be fine with it if it was under french control, germans would be fine with it if the understanding it would never actually be deployed
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,893
    edited February 18

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Fine I would think.

Why not the EU ?

I expect both would be pretty happy with that. They spend a lot on defence, albeit not as much per GDP as some of the front line countries. The free riders are not France and Germany.

EDIT: though when comparing percentage of GDP spent on defence we really shouldn’t include countries’ spend on defending distant former colonial outposts or maintaining defence postures in the South China Sea or Middle East. Britain and France (and America) spend a lot on that kind of thing, but it’s not really relevant to the defence of Europe from Russian invasion.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,183

Franchising has failed. Even the Tories, who came up with this moronic dog’s breakfast, admit it has failed.

Five - or is it six? - regional franchises are now in public hands because the shitbox privateers ran the service like a primary school Brio track and either cried off their contract or got sacked for being fucking useless clowns.

The track was renationalised several blue moons ago because the corporate fat controllers who ran it were profiteering twats who blamed each other daily rather than take any responsibility themselves, and put cash before country.

So failed a concept is it that even those famous hard leftwingers Peter Hitchens, Isabel Oakeshott and Arron Banks favour a wholesale renationalisation of whatever scraps are left are left in the private sector.

Only on PB - only on PB! - do I hear people go out to bat for this abject national embarrassment.

Renationalise it all, and do it now.

Also not training enough drivers then pissing and moaning when they decide to not partake in 'voluntary' overtime.
    And cancelling trains for that reason, with 20 minutes’ notice, as happened to me the other day. They are a shambles.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,666

Scott_xP said:

Well now...

@GdnPolitics

Tory MPs pushing for Rishi Sunak to quit before he is deposed

https://t.co/THljdZGMqR

He won't last till November

And this is why he should man up and go for 2nd May.
    Whatever the arguments for and against for Sunak, there is just something ‘right’ about a May general election. Plus it gives the new government a short time to bed in before the summer. Gives a chance of a fresh start with Spring in the air.

None of that if it’s Oct, Nov or worse Jan 2025.
    “it gives the new government a short time to bed in”

I don’t think that is remotely part of the calculation. Whoever is in power in the summer will soon be up to their eyebrows with voter anger over the surge in boat crossings, postmasters and mistresses still waiting for fair payouts, and frustration over a mere quarter % cut in interest rates with businesses failing and deeper recession looming.

And some people say the passing over of this poisoned chalice is throwing something valuable away.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Fine I would think.

Why not the EU ?

France would be fine with it if it was under french control, germans would be fine with it if the understanding it would never actually be deployed
    From past history, the German politicians would be very upset if “minor” nations thought they could run the table.
  • Options

Franchising has failed. Even the Tories, who came up with this moronic dog’s breakfast, admit it has failed.

Five - or is it six? - regional franchises are now in public hands because the shitbox privateers ran the service like a primary school Brio track and either cried off their contract or got sacked for being fucking useless clowns.

The track was renationalised several blue moons ago because the corporate fat controllers who ran it were profiteering twats who blamed each other daily rather than take any responsibility themselves, and put cash before country.

So failed a concept is it that even those famous hard leftwingers Peter Hitchens, Isabel Oakeshott and Arron Banks favour a wholesale renationalisation of whatever scraps are left are left in the private sector.

Only on PB - only on PB! - do I hear people go out to bat for this abject national embarrassment.

Also not training enough drivers then pissing and moaning when they decide to not partake in 'voluntary' overtime.
    And cancelling trains for that reason, with 20 minutes’ notice, as happened to me the other day. They are a shambles.
    It amuses me how simultaneously people argue how shit the rails are, how inefficient and crap they are etc

And then at the same time, some (not all) of the same people argue how great rail is and how much better it is than roads etc

Its funny how rails are so efficient that they can't operate without humungous subsidies while cars are taxed through the rafters, and so great that their users seem to do nothing but bitch and moan about how shit they are.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Fine I would think.

Why not the EU ?

I expect both would be pretty happy with that. They spend a lot on defence, albeit not as much per GDP as some of the front line countries. The free riders are not France and Germany.
    Under current Polish plans, they are going to have a huge land military, fairly soon. The traditional EU Army concept of a French/German command will knocked sideways by that.
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 943

Rail travel might have been shit but at least it was cheap. Now it's shit and expensive.

(I checked. London to Manchester one way is currently £160 but was £9.60 in 1976. Using a Purchasing Power calculator that's about £80 equivalent)

If you're willing to buy in advance and commit to a specific train it can be cheaper. For instance London to Manchester on the 8th May on the 11:13 will cost you just £34 if you buy the ticket right now, which is less than half the 1976-equivalent price. You didn't have that option back then.

• Options

TimS said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Fine I would think.

Why not the EU ?

Under current Polish plans, they are going to have a huge land military, fairly soon. The traditional EU Army concept of a French/German command will knocked sideways by that.
    Good, bring them to the top table along with Britain, Sweden, Finland, Denmark and Ukraine. Feel free to ignore the freeloaders.
  • Options

It amuses me how simultaneously people argue how shit the rails are, how inefficient and crap they are etc

And then at the same time, some (not all) of the same people argue how great rail is and how much better it is than roads etc

Its funny how rails are so efficient that they can't operate without humungous subsidies while cars are taxed through the rafters, and so great that their users seem to do nothing but bitch and moan about how shit they are.
    They also neglect to realise the major fly in the ointment for rail is two things union strikes and network rail....the latter is nationalised and has been for years and unions are something most of those advocating nationalisation are vehement supporters. Most supporters of nationalised rail also seem to be to your to remember the abyss that was british rail
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,618
    boulay said:

Wasn’t it May’s plan that got kiboshed by Boris? The “Five Eyes” grouping doesn’t conflict with NATO and if done right would make sense - as long as it doesn’t become some bullshit issue where European countries demand that their kit is used to bolster their arms industries it is worth doing.

Edit to add, NORAD exists separate to NATO.
    It's not 'worth doing', it's an attempt to eliminate the UK's ability to defend itself independently. It's the EU army, being pushed against the UK's interests and against the wishes of those who voted that we should leave the EU. It's supported by careerist talentless cretins like Lammy who think sucking up to powerful and influential people is the best way to advance their careers. In his case he's probably right, but I have a feeling the approach is falling distinctly out of fashion.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 696

Scott_xP said:

Well now...

@GdnPolitics

The only people who ever talk about May are non-Tories.
    Is that because Tories are too thick to realise, they are exchanging 4 months worth of magic beans, for 50 of their MPs in the next parliament?
    I don't think it works like that.
    Ignoring spring election - which can only be on one date, 2nd May - does not come with zero cost, if that’s how you thinking it works?

But what do we know from analysing this one? we now know what the high interest rate “inflation medicine” can do, how long does it take now for the medicine to work out of system, how much and how quickly must rates be cut for growth to return? Meanwhile we continue with Ongoing mortgage crisis as voters switch to higher mortgage bills. We know a damning interim covid report is being published before autumn. And we expect surge in illegal channel crossings during summer and autumn. There will be Credibility and morale shattering set of locals for Tories in May, and lots of Opposition fun after that with “squatting” and “frit” narrative (analysis from 1997 shows clinging on cost John Major votes) its just Giving voters even more time and evidence to realise things ain’t getting better.

4 more months or 50 more MPs, that is the trade off here in delaying till autumn, because picking a bad moment to say “economies turned a corner” or bad moment to say “stop the boats” a bad reaction is exactly the reaction you get in that bad moment, rather than what you get when you pick the better moment, is how it works.

Good luck with that Autumn election. 🙂
    I do agree that a May election would likely be better. Better for the country, better for the Tory party, better for Rishi personally, and better for how his time in office will be viewed by history.

But set against that is the question of how we get to that point. Going for a May election requires a brave decision to be taken.

And avoiding that decision would be much more in keeping with the current government's modus operandi.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,160
    AlsoLei said:

Taz said:

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/feb/18/profits-of-uks-private-train-leasing-firms-treble-in-a-year

The train leasing firms are the real scandal of privatisation. If you wonder why we pay so much for train tickets and pay so much in subsidies and still have a crap service, the fact the leasing firms are earning a 40% profit margin might have something to do with it.

This was famously highlighted as a by product of the Major Government's privatisation in the mid-90s. The stock is owned by Porterbrook and leased to the TOCs. Its parent companies are Canadian, German and French.
    There are right-wingers who claim that the British Empire was a Good Thing in India, because Railways. Though the railways were controlled mostly by British capitalists and much of the profits withdrawn to outside India.

It's nice to see that they are consistent in applying this model to the railways of Great Britain. (Not sure about NI.)
    Yeah, it’s not like the railways were put there to benefit the Indians after all.
    It's not like the railways were put here to benefit the average Briton either - they were sponsored and built for shareholder profit everywhere. All the Acts of Parliament were private.

This doesn't mean that's a bad thing, or that they were a bad thing; we all benefited.
    Debatable in the short-term - there were two railway-mania fuelled crashes in the early decades, where many non-railway people lost their shirts. In the medium and long term; yes, for most of the lines we benefited massively.
    The initial build of the railways was an unstructured, chaotic mess. Duplication of routes, convoluted journeys where running rights did not exist, a total lack of joined up thinking and integration.

It had to wait until nationalisation before we had coherence and a single entity providing a true public service.

And then along came John Major and his mates to take us back to square one.
    And nationalisation was an absolute disaster. Money thrown at the railways in the 1955 modernisation plan, and much of it went to the wrong places. It's an interesting counter-factual to think what would have happened if the railways had not been nationalised in 1948, and the Big Four paid for their wartime work. Lines would have closed.... but so many?
    The move from accrual to cash accounting in the late 60s under Barbara Castle might also be a good one to consider. You can understand why the change was made - the previous 20 years had been such a disaster that something needed to be done to stem the bleeding.

But it meant that the only development projects that got approved were the big-ticket things that a government could crow about - the HST, east coast electrification, etc. The intermediate-level stuff that should have happened in the 70s and 80s - branch line electrification, track realignments to support higher speeds, rolling stock replacement - were ignored.

And it would have meant that the industry wouldn't have been in such desperate need of being recapitalised in the early 90s. You could imagine that privatisation might not have been needed at all - or that it could have been done in a very different way from what actually transpired.
    That's probably a factor.

As was one of my bugbears: common carrier status, which was only removed in ?1962?. It should have been removed post WW2, or at the latest on privatisation, as it was clear that road traffic and haulage was increasing massively. It may also have changed some of the more disastrous decisions in the 1955 modernisation plan.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

The other thing I don’t get, how the PB hive mind think Primeministers can call General Elections, kind of whimsically. Oh - I have just put my finger out the window, I think I’ll call a general election for next month. Better ring out and get some pizzas in so we can start writing the manifesto this evening. And we’d better think of hiring some people I suppose, and giving them something to do? Probably a good idea to move the budget to earlier, soften the voters up with a few bribes, just before tge campaign and the poll.

Last year they had the choice of May 2nd 2024 or October, and they settled on May 2nd long before Christmas. I’m not going post the whole stack of reasons again why they did this, why the narrative gets worse for Tories in second half of this year not better - though media commentators seem to have caught up now that narrative will get worse not better, especially the element where political scientists now believe, you lose votes not get swingback, when you are seen to be SELFISHLY hanging on too long, thwarting the voters and businesses wishes just to get the uncertainty out the way.

But I’ll flag up just one of the coming difficulties in narrative for the government in the second half of this year, this government knew long before Christmas, boat crossings, they have zilch control over, would be substantially higher this summer and autumn 2024 compared to 2023, for two reasons - the UK government done brilliantly last year on boat crossings, with the deal with Alabanians, which helped show a fall on figures, some tried to say the reduction was down to the weather, but it was down to the Alabanians deal, a quick win and much low lying fruit picked. Unfortunately, it means this years figures will be compared to last years, for direction of travel - no pun intended. Because Europe properly tanked up on med crossings last year, and all historical patterns and modelling show that, in the following summer, after a busy med summer filling Europe up, the English Channel crossings shoot up in consequence.

This government cannot fight a General Election this autumn against, a backdrop of a ramping up in the boat crossings this year they pledged to stop. Simples.

It’s not that May 2nd is “becoming” an option. It’s been May 2nd for months now. 🥱

Let's go through the record.

2019 was a weird one.

2017 absolutely was called on a whim.

2015 was fixed by the FTPA.

2010 was Brown running up to the deadline.

2001 and 2005 were four year elections because Blair knew he was cruising to victory.

1997 was Major running up to the deadline.

1992 was Major (almost) running up to the deadline.

1987 and 1983 were Thatcher knowing she was cruising to victory.

Where is the precedent for a living, breathing PM choosing to call an election they expect to lose?
    Attlee 1951 would be the most recent.
    And that doesn't do much for Moon's (I hope I'm not being too forward in so calling her) thesis. That wasn't driven by "this is when we get the best result", so much as "don't make life awkward for HMK".
    I refer the gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago.

Losing 50 seats or more in the next parliament, from getting the election timing wrong, is now far more valuable to Sunak and his party, than a few more months in power.

The bit you have been missing here is as simple as that. Sure a few more months in power, but is that truly more valuable than 50 or more members in the next Parliament?

Go on, answer. Which is more valuable - four more fag end months, or 50 or more MPs?
    Rationally, you're right. The Conservatives get their best result by throwing themselves on the tender mercies of the electorate as soon as possible. April is probably better than May.

But.

Every other postwar PM faced with this situation has gone as long as possible, even when it makes things worse for their party in the next Parliament.

Brown did it, Major did it, Callaghan tried to (but lost a VONC), Home did it. Not because they were fools, or badly advised. But you only get to the top in politics by believing that you can make things better. Gambling at poorish odds that you alone can make something happen is a pretty good exemplar of how politicians think.

Rishi is different, but not that different.
    I’ll repeat again. It’s not that often when a Generalelection (all one word) comes around when you are 20 points down for a year and a half, and don’t even want to remain in power for your own good - so you can’t compare this to every election, only similar rare situations.

Also, when choosing the date in many past examples, all the reason and analysis could have pointed to waiting till the last moment, for the economy to come right for example - something we know doesn’t apply to this current situation, because Sunak’s five pledges are more likely to go the wrong way over summer and autumn than in right direction, the current election riff “the economy is turning a corner, don’t let flip flop Starmer sink it” half affective today could sound properly naff come autumn, and continued high interest rates hurting the economy. The current technical recession wasn’t predicted - an interest rate induced downtown Q3 this year, is predicted.

Whatever made other struggling governments hold on, the reasoning may have been sound for them doing that, but in this almost unique situation holding on is not the reasoned conclusion. If modelled surge in boat crossings this summer does happen, the already fractious Tory Party will implode will it not - level pegging 16% each with Reform not so fantastical, especially with raft of MPs jumping to Reform as last throw of dice to keep their seat.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,002
    A

The subsidy for rail takes cars off the road. It's a subsidy for those who must drive more than anyone else. A city like London could not operate without them.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,878
    pm215 said:

Rail travel might have been shit but at least it was cheap. Now it's shit and expensive.

(I checked. London to Manchester one way is currently £160 but was £9.60 in 1976. Using a Purchasing Power calculator that's about £80 equivalent)

If you're willing to buy in advance and commit to a specific train it can be cheaper. For instance London to Manchester on the 8th May on the 11:13 will cost you just £34 if you buy the ticket right now, which is less than half the 1976-equivalent price. You didn't have that option back then.

It's crazy though. Why is the pricing set up to tie customers to a specific train 3 months out? How is the country well-served by that type of pricing?
  • Options
    AlsoLei said:

Scott_xP said:

Well now...

@GdnPolitics

The only people who ever talk about May are non-Tories.
    Is that because Tories are too thick to realise, they are exchanging 4 months worth of magic beans, for 50 of their MPs in the next parliament?
    I don't think it works like that.
    Ignoring spring election - which can only be on one date, 2nd May - does not come with zero cost, if that’s how you thinking it works?

But what do we know from analysing this one? we now know what the high interest rate “inflation medicine” can do, how long does it take now for the medicine to work out of system, how much and how quickly must rates be cut for growth to return? Meanwhile we continue with Ongoing mortgage crisis as voters switch to higher mortgage bills. We know a damning interim covid report is being published before autumn. And we expect surge in illegal channel crossings during summer and autumn. There will be Credibility and morale shattering set of locals for Tories in May, and lots of Opposition fun after that with “squatting” and “frit” narrative (analysis from 1997 shows clinging on cost John Major votes) its just Giving voters even more time and evidence to realise things ain’t getting better.

4 more months or 50 more MPs, that is the trade off here in delaying till autumn, because picking a bad moment to say “economies turned a corner” or bad moment to say “stop the boats” a bad reaction is exactly the reaction you get in that bad moment, rather than what you get when you pick the better moment, is how it works.

Good luck with that Autumn election. 🙂
    I do agree that a May election would likely be better. Better for the country, better for the Tory party, better for Rishi personally, and better for how his time in office will be viewed by history.

But set against that is the question of how we get to that point. Going for a May election requires a brave decision to be taken.

And avoiding that decision would be much more in keeping with the current government's modus operandi.
    The decision was already made (for the reasons you listed) months ago. They are locked into May 2nd now, early budget as springboard etc. The decision is whether to delay it, and find somewhere in autumn or winter that might work instead. That’s now the more difficult decision.

Am I becoming a boring one subject rabbit? I only logged back in because I saw “two state solution is what all us sensible people support” posted and saw red at such stupidity. I’m going to log out and get some sleep.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,131
    RunDeep said:

algarkirk said:

The oddity in the Yougov questions is that no-one is asked whether Hamas should 'stop and declare a ceasefire'. This is weird.

Curious that none of those endlessly asking for a ceasefire ever ask for Hamas to immediately and unconditionally release all the remaining hostages, as demanded by the ICJ on 24 January.

https://www.icj-cij.org/node/203454

Such a release would likely make a ceasefire much easier to achieve. Beyond that I don't give a toss about the Middle East.

But I will never vote for a party which abandons British Jews. Or considers them expendable because there are more votes to be obtained from those who want to be horrible to them here.
    Well you must be my better half…
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,518
    edited February 18

pm215 said:

It's crazy though. Why is the pricing set up to tie customers to a specific train 3 months out? How is the country well-served by that type of pricing?
    It encourages more price-sensitive and less time-sensitive travellers to travel at quieter times, spreading demand across the day.

This isn't complicated.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,205
    Scott_xP said:

Well now...

@GdnPolitics

There isn't any alternative a majority of Tory MPs back and many in the right are willing to let him and Hunt take the flack for general election defeat so the rightwing can then take over in opposition, indeed the likes of Badenoch want to be Leader of the Opposition not fag end PM now
  • Options
    AverageNinjaAverageNinja Posts: 1,169

pm215 said:

It seems to me that the current suggestion is that I should have to fit my life around how the trains work as opposed to them catering to my needs. What other service works like this?

If the private companies can charge me £34 for a train, why can't I spend £34 and leave in half an hour? Why should I have to change my schedule to get a cheaper price?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,028
    There’s a poll out in the Telegraph showing Tories would be better off reinstating Boris, not much better off from what I can see, maybe 19pts behind rather than the Labour VI lead in the same poll of 22

Of course, had Boris not been forced out, there would have been no Truss budget and the Tories probably wouldn’t have fallen off a cliff as they did when she and KK did their thing

• Options

darkage said:

"Within parts of the rail industry, there is significant support for Roscos. One senior source said: “They’ve made big bucks, but we’ve got thousands of new trains … If [buying trains] was on the government books, schools, the NHS or police would have got the spending first.”

This is the last resort of the Continuity Supporters of Franchising. It really is a weak AF argument.

It’s remarkable how many other developed western economies have their railway wholly in the public sector, run as a public service, yet beat ours on any reasonable metric.

That will mean high salaries for unionised employees, frozen fares for passengers and terrible service quality and infrastructure.

There isn't a simple easy answer here. Privatisation has done a lot to improve the network.
    Compared to the current system of high salaries for managers and consultants, high and complex fares for passengers and terrible service quality and infrastructure (think CrossCountry four coach trains).

Do you?
    I remember it being better. Comfortable seats in trains with sufficient carriages, pulled by a proper locomotive. Carriages with compartments and side corridors. Windows that opened. Under British Rail I could get a sleeper to Bristol, Plymouth, Birmingham and Inverness from Glasgow. Through trains to a much wider range of stations. Restaurant Cars. Much more important as a passenger than maximising profits for foreign owned private companies.
    I remember the exact opposite. Cold uncomfortable journeys on rolling stock that was way past the point at which it should have been scrapped. And a massively unreliable service even when it wasn't beset with strikes.

My Grandfather was in charge of national newspaper distribution through Kings Cross/St Pancras/Euston in the sixties and seventies. So I am well aware of how flakey the whole rail system was in those days. There were vast fleets of vans on standby for when the trains failed to run. So much so that eventually the papers just gave up on the trains completely and moved to road distribution as the standard.

And there is a reason the British Rail sandwich was the butt of all those jokes back in the day.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,051

darkage said:

Do you?
    Yes, but you'll never convince those who weren't there.
  • Options
    edited February 18

pm215 said:

It seems to me that the current suggestion is that I should have to fit my life around how the trains work as opposed to them catering to my needs. What other service works like this?

If the private companies can charge me £34 for a train, why can't I spend £34 and leave in half an hour? Why should I have to change my schedule to get a cheaper price?
    It's the same model that the airlines use, because obviously there are more popular and convenient times to travel, but no transport system can accommodate everyone wanting to travel at the same time - so a price signal is used to encourage some to accommodate scheduling inconvenience in return for a lower price.

The alternative that we see with car travel is that the inconvenience of congestion delays encourages people to travel at alternative times.
  • Options

pm215 said:

If the private companies can charge me £34 for a train, why can't I spend £34 and leave in half an hour? Why should I have to change my schedule to get a cheaper
    price?
    Because running a train has high fixed costs. Therefore they sell non flexible tickets in advance to cover the baseline.

If you want to leave in half an hour you are getting the value of convenience. They have the right to charge for that.

You can then make a free choice between cost and convenience based on your preferences
  • Options
    isam said:

There’s a poll out in the Telegraph showing Tories would be better off reinstating Boris, not much better off from what I can see, maybe 19pts behind rather than the Labour VI lead in the same poll of 22

Of course, had Boris not been forced out, there would have been no Truss budget and the Tories probably wouldn’t have fallen off a cliff as they did when she and KK did their thing

28% say they would vote for a Boris led party v Starmer to 25% for a Sunak led party. For Braverman and Mordaunt it is 23%, Patel 22% and Badenoch 19%

'Among the “lost Conservatives”, who said they won’t vote Tory at the next election but don’t know who to vote for, 52 per cent said they would vote for Mr Johnson over Sir Keir.

This is compared to 39 per cent saying they would vote for the current Prime Minister over the Labour leader.'
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/02/18/general-election-conservative-tory-boris-johnson-leadership/
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,254
    @ChrisMusson

Difficult story for Scottish Labour in tomorrow’s papers (embargoed til midnight). They’ve kept it off one front page with a Starmer interview, but after an upbeat conference it’s going to be a difficult few days for Anas Sarwar. SNP poised to twist knife tomorrow too
  • Options
    edited February 18
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Well now...

@GdnPolitics

There isn't any alternative a majority of Tory MPs back and many in the right are willing to let him and Hunt take the flack for general election defeat so the rightwing can then take over in opposition, indeed the likes of Badenoch want to be Leader of the Opposition not fag end PM now
    Wouldn’t one of your favs - Steve Barclay or Tom Tugendhat, get a better General Election result than Sunak, if they replaced Rishi right now?

They have zero chance of winning leadership after the election haven’t they. But if PM now as “unity candidate” got better than expected GE, saving 220+ seats, they would have a good chance of clinging on.
  • Options
    isam said:

I think it's fair to say that Liz Truss surprised on the downside, and that every PM is going to look better by comparison with her, but I think it wasn't inevitable that the Conservative Party would choose the worst PM of all time when they chose a replacement for Johnson so, as arguments for replacing him being a mistake go, I think it's somewhat lacking.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,482

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Well now...

@GdnPolitics

Exactly.

Who would they instal?

They can't agree whether to open the window on a warm day never mind who should be leader.
  • Options

pm215 said:

If the private companies can charge me £34 for a train, why can't I spend £34 and leave in half an hour? Why should I have to change my schedule to get a cheaper
    price?
    Because running a train has high fixed costs. Therefore they sell non flexible tickets in advance to cover the baseline.

If you want to leave in half an hour you are getting the value of convenience. They have the right to charge for that.

You can then make a free choice between cost and convenience based on your preferences
    I cannot choose to get a different train if I have to get in for a job that starts at 9AM can I? What do you suggest, I get sacked?
  • Options

pm215 said:

It's the same model that the airlines use, because obviously there are more popular and convenient times to travel, but no transport system can accommodate everyone wanting to travel at the same time - so a price signal is used to encourage some to accommodate scheduling inconvenience in return for a lower price.

The alternative that we see with car travel is that the inconvenience of congestion delays encourages people to travel at alternative times.
    That would be an argument for different pricing at different times of day or week but not for charging less for tickets bought months in advance.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

A

The subsidy for rail takes cars off the road. It's a subsidy for those who must drive more than anyone else. A city like London could not operate without them.
    If Londoners want their city to operate, Londoners should pay for it. Why should I pay for their transport with my taxes, they don't pay for mine.

If rail is efficient, it can pay its own way. Anyone who wants to go into London on a train should pay in full a commercial rate for the service rendered, with the same level of taxation too that a driver would pay too.
  • Options

pm215 said:

price?

I cannot choose to get a different train if I have to get in for a job that starts at 9AM can I? What do you suggest, I get sacked?
    Get a different job.
    Get a different mode of transport.
    Get a different house.
    Work from home if you can.

Plenty of alternatives, the choice is yours, but whatever your choice is, you should pay in full for it - nobody else should pay for you to get to your work, how you get there is your responsibility just as I pay in full (plus tax) to get to mine.
  • Options
    edited February 18

Eabhal said:

A

If Londoners want their city to operate, Londoners should pay for it. Why should I pay for their transport with my taxes, they don't pay for mine.

If rail is efficient, it can pay its own way. Anyone who wants to go into London on a train should pay in full a commercial rate for the service rendered, with the same level of taxation too that a driver would pay too.
    Great, let’s readjust spending so it matches tax take per capita for each region. As a Londoner and devolution advocate I endorse this message.
  • Options

pm215 said:

That would be an argument for different pricing at different times of day or week but not for charging less for tickets bought months in advance.
    If you do it the airline pricing way you don't have to predict which times of day, or week, will be more popular - the actual demands will work that out for you. And that way you don't get caught out if there's a lot of people who want to travel at an unusual time because of a sporting event, or whatever, that you didn't anticipate. The pricing system reacts automatically.

But, obviously, this only works if you are selling tickets in advance, so people have time to plan to travel at different times, rather than on the day.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,965

AI ought to be able to drive trains without going on strike

What if it decides otherwise ?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,254

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Well now...

@GdnPolitics

Exactly.

Who would they instal?

They can't agree whether to open the window on a warm day never mind who should be leader.
    They only need to agree it shouldn't be Richi

And in that they are (for once) in tune with their constituents...
  • Options
    edited February 18

pm215 said:

price?

I cannot choose to get a different train if I have to get in for a job that starts at 9AM
    can I? What do you suggest, I get sacked?
    Buy your tickets in advanced at a discounted price (aka a season ticket).

Or, if you are an independent contractor, accurately price your costs into your quote

• Options

pm215 said:

price?

Get a different job.
    Get a different house.

Plenty of alternatives, the choice is yours, but whatever your choice is, you should pay in full for it - nobody else should pay for you to get to your work, how you get there is your responsibility just as I pay in full (plus tax) to get to mine.
    So we should privatise the roads then? Because you are paying for me to get to work every time I drive to the train station.

Why should I have to change how I work because the public transport system doesn't work like it should?

In London, the network works for me, I pay the same price whenever I travel. It is cheap, it is reliable, it is consistently available. So much better.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,822
    edited February 18

pm215 said:

price?

Get a different job.
    Get a different house.

So we should privatise the roads then? Because you are paying for me to get to work every time I drive to the train station.

Why should I have to change how I work because the public transport system doesn't work like it should?

In London, the network works for me, I pay the same price whenever I travel. It is cheap, it is reliable, it is consistently available. So much better.
    I would completely support abolishing taxes on vehicles and fuel and privatising the roads instead, yes. I'd welcome the dramatic reduction in my transport costs, I'm sure the Chancellor would be upset at the tens of billions he'd lose though.

In London you don't pay for your travel, we all do.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Eabhal said:

A

Great, let’s readjust spending so it matches tax take per capita for each region. As a Londoner and devolution advocate I endorse this message.
    I agree, fully privatise the roads, I don't want any of my taxes spent to maintain roads which I don't drive on. In fact now I've recently sold my car I shouldn't pay any money towards roads at all. And yes let's re-balance spending to give London even more money.
  • Options

pm215 said:

price?

Get a different job.
    Get a different house.

I would completely support abolishing taxes on vehicles and fuel and privatising the roads instead, yes.

I must have imagined the £8 that came out of my bank account this morning.

Why should I pay for your roads? I don't drive anymore.
  • Options

TimS said:

Eabhal said:

A

I agree, fully privatise the roads, I don't want any of my taxes spent to maintain roads which I don't drive on. In fact now I've recently sold my car I shouldn't pay any money towards roads at all. And yes let's re-balance spending to give London even more money.
    We can be agreed then. I don't spend money on your transport, you don't spend money on mine. We all pay our own way instead going forwards.

I look forward to the huge reduction in my bills. I hope you've got thousands extra lying around to spend on yours.
  • Options

pm215 said:

price?

Get a different job.
    Get a different house.

I would completely support abolishing taxes on vehicles and fuel and privatising the roads instead, yes.

I must have imagined the £8 that came out of my bank account this morning.

Why should I pay for your roads? I don't drive anymore.
    And is £8 all it costs, or was that a token payment you made that went along with subsidies and didn't actually pay your own way?

Why should you pay for roads? You shouldn't. You don't.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,085
    isam said:

They are going thru the motions.

denial.
    anger.
    bargaining.
    depression.
    acceptance.

If it helps, I sympathise. Not a good position to be in. But you know what Churchill said about what to do when one goes thru hell.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

darkage said:

Do you?
    Yes, but you'll never convince those who weren't there.
    Or more importantly those who were.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,890
    isam said:

Boris wasn't forced out. He resigned.

• Options

I look forward to the huge reduction in my bills. I hope you've got thousands extra lying around to spend on yours.

If the tube with 1000 other people on it will cost "thousands more" than your polluting car that seats at most 4 people then I think your maths is bogus.

Either way, I am very happy to see roads privatised and all government spending on them to end. Most inefficient form of travel there is, nutty we subsidise it.
  • Options
    edited February 18

Foxy said:

isam said:

You'll see this narrative build now until and after the GE, that actually St Johnson would have won a landslide.

Back on Earth, he literally ran away. Like the coward he is.
    If Trump returns to the White House next January after losing power in 2020, I expect Boris will try and do the same and after a Sunak and Hunt defeat try and take over the Conservatives again in opposition
  • Options

If the tube with 1000 other people on it will cost "thousands more" than your polluting car that seats at most 4 people then I think your maths is bogus.

Either way, I am very happy to see roads privatised and all government spending on them to end. Most inefficient form of travel there is, nutty we subsidise it.
    Well the Tube with 1000 other people on it can't operate without subsidies according to @Eabhal - why that is, I leave to you to decipher.

My vehicle with typically at most 3 other people is paid for in full by me with most of my operating costs being tax, not the cost of operating it.

You don't subsidise roads, quite the opposite.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,890

Foxy said:

isam said:

You'll see this narrative build now until and after the GE, that actually St Johnson would have won a landslide.

Boris is a quitter not a fighter.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

If Trump returns to the White House next January after losing power in 2020, I expect Boris will try and do the same and after a Sunak and Hunt defeat try and take over the Conservatives again in opposition
    If the house that the Johnson's have bought in Oxfordshire is anything to go by then being an ex-PM is working out really well for him. Why would be want to give that up to become leader of the Opposition?
  • Options
    edited February 18
    O/T we were at the British Museum today (for the 'Legion: life in the Roman army' exhibition - quite interesting).

We should charge entry for these national museums and galleries but keep them free to UK residents and accompanied children.

UK residents could show a driving licence, passport, or other photo ID. (I'd be happy to extend free entry to EU citizens as part of a deal for closer trading and cooperation.)
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,076
    I don’t understand this obsession by some Tories of bringing back the serial liar Johnson .

Have they forgotten he would have been suspended by the Commons and resigned because he was too spineless to fight a possible by-election .

Not sure “I partied whilst your grannie died “ is quite the winning campaign slogan !

• Options

Well the Tube with 1000 other people on it can't operate without subsidies according to @Eabhal - why that is, I leave to you to decipher.

My vehicle with typically at most 3 other people is paid for in full by me with most of my operating costs being tax, not the cost of operating it.

I didn't realise the M3 was now a toll road? Why is ANY of my money spent on the roads, I don't use them. If you want to have fully privatised trains, then we should have fully privatised roads. No taxes spent on roads, cars etc. End of story.
  • Options

O/T we were at the British Museum today (for the 'Legion: life in the Roman army' exhibition - quite interesting).

We should charge entry for these national museums and galleries but keep them free to UK residents and accompanied children.

UK residents could show a driving licence, passport, or other photo ID. (I'd be happy to extend free entry to EU citizens as part of a deal for closer trading and cooperation.)

What about all those residents denied the vote because they don't have photo ID? Would you shut them out of museums too?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

If the house that the Johnson's have bought in Oxfordshire is anything to go by then being an ex-PM is working out really well for him. Why would be want to give that up to become leader of the Opposition?
    As Leader of the Opposition is a doss compared to being PM, all he would have to do is slag off Starmer's government for being crap while not having to have any responsibility. Then hope Starmer becomes as unpopular as Sunak and Boris can say 'told you so' at the subsequent election
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,559

pm215 said:

price?

Which is also a form of price discrimination, since business and other work related travellers will book at short notice whereas people making occasional leisure trips tend to book well in advance.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,559

Foxy said:

isam said:

The landslide would have been whatever the next, even bigger scandal would have been, his having presumably got away with the ones that actually brought him down.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,366
    edited February 18
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Firstly, the system in the US means you can easily run for the top job from outside Congress. The Conservative candidate for PM is their leader in the House of Commons, so he'd need to cross that hurdle (and be allowed to by those with an interest in preventing it, as well as an MP willing to step aside and the electorate in their constituency).

Secondly, Johnson isn't Trump. I mean that in a broadly complimentary way to Johnson - he's an occasionally amusing but rather flawed individual. He's not polarised the public to the extend half of them think he's the Messiah and the other half the Antichrist. I'm sure he has plenty of fans in the Conservative membership. But, to most of the public now, he's just a bloke who was PM at one time.
  • Options

The revenue from fuel duty and VED does not exceed that spent maintaining the road network.
  • Options

What about all those residents denied the vote because they don't have photo ID? Would you shut them out of museums too?
    Easier to add a “tourist tax” to the price of hotel & AirBnB rooms and use that money to cover the costs of central grants to the museums
  • Options

I didn't realise the M3 was now a toll road? Why is ANY of my money spent on the roads, I don't use them. If you want to have fully privatised trains, then we should have fully privatised roads. No taxes spent on roads, cars etc. End of story.
    None of your money is. 🤦‍♂️

The Chancellor makes a ridiculously big profit of tens of billions on road taxation. If it were a private company making that profit, they'd quite rightly be accused of being extortionate.

I am entirely fine with tax on transport being abolished and fully privatised costs being paid instead, my costs would plummet.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,972

I don't have any of those ID's. Perhaps I should pay some government agency for one rather than give a few quid to the place I want to experience.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

The revenue from fuel duty and VED does not exceed that spent maintaining the road network.
    Eabhal said:

Bullshit.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

I don't have any of those ID's. Perhaps I should pay some government agency for one rather than give a few quid to the place I want to experience.
    How are you going to vote?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Four foxes ache.

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1759344819539673261

Great to see the emphasis is on ending stagnation and restoring economic growth, not.
  • Options

No. They can pay - or apply for a free voter ID.
  • Options
    edited February 18

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Bullshit.
    I'm actually a massive fan of car congestion. It's why average speeds are so slow on the roads, contributing to a reduction in casualties. A 20mph limit is redundant in most cities during rush hour as the average speed is significantly slower anyway.

My concern is that measures to reduce traffic in cities will see a large increase in high velocity collisions with pedestrians.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

isam said:

They are going thru the motions.

denial.
    anger.
    bargaining.
    depression.
    acceptance.

If it helps, I sympathise. Not a good position to be in. But you know what Churchill said about what to do when one goes thru hell.
    Did he suggest a slug of gin?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Firstly, the system in the US means you can easily run for the top job from outside Congress. The Conservative candidate for PM is their leader in the House of Commons, so he'd need to cross that hurdle (and be allowed to by those with an interest in preventing it, as well as an MP willing to step aside and the electorate in their constituency).

Secondly, Johnson isn't Trump. I mean that in a broadly complimentary way to Johnson - he's an occasionally amusing but rather flawed individual. He's not polarised the public to the extend half of them think he's the Messiah and the other half the Antichrist. I'm sure he has plenty of fans in the Conservative membership. But, to most of the public now, he's just a bloke who was PM at one time.
    If Sunak loses he also loses control of CCHQ and therefore Boris would find getting on the candidates list much easier again and lots of safe seats would jump at the chance of him as MP.

Boris isn't Trump but post Brexit he still polarises opinion in the UK strongly
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Boris is a quitter not a fighter.
    Boris is a grifter not a fighter.
  • Options

The Chancellor makes a ridiculously big profit of tens of billions on road taxation. If it were a private company making that profit, they'd quite rightly be accused of being extortionate.

I am entirely fine with tax on transport being abolished and fully privatised costs being paid instead, my costs would plummet.
    Eh? Are you seriously saying no taxpayer money is spent on the roads? On potholes that Rishi Sunak keeps announcing money for?

I am against all of these costs, no public money on anything car-related.
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

How are you going to vote?
    No idea, sadly. I was just born here, live here and pay my taxes. It seems it's not enough.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

As Leader of the Opposition is a doss compared to being PM, all he would have to do is slag off Starmer's government for being crap while not having to have any responsibility. Then hope Starmer becomes as unpopular as Sunak and Boris can say 'told you so' at the subsequent election
    Being PM with a large majority, like Johnson was, should be a dream scenario. Back in December 2019, a decade stretched out in front of him as World King. Then he f***ed it up.

LOTO is okay if you're winning. But you can't actually do anything, which is frustrating, and your internal enemies are thirsty for your blood.

Also, if the Conservatives lose badly this year as seems quite likely, the way back is a long slog. Johnson simply isn't a man who is interested in that sort of thing.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

If Sunak loses he also loses control of CCHQ and therefore Boris would find getting on the candidates list much easier again and lots of safe seats would jump at the chance of him as MP.

If Sunak loses, someone else gets control of CCHQ. Why is that person be interested in seeing a key rival back in Parliament? And will the public have it anyway? Not impossible, but a significant hurdle.

On polarising opinion, he does so much less effectively POST Brexit that he did PRE Brexit. Then, people voted for him to get Brexit done. Now, it isn't clear what the point of polarisation is. He's a bloke who was PM, wasn't a very good one, and now isn't. You are - no doubt from your particular position in the Conservative Party - just seeing this from a totally different perspective than the vast majority of the public. Johnson is ancient history.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

If Sunak loses, someone else gets control of CCHQ. Why is that person be interested in seeing a key rival back in Parliament? And will the public have it anyway? Not impossible, but a significant hurdle.

On polarising opinion, he does so much less effectively POST Brexit that he did PRE Brexit. Then, people voted for him to get Brexit done. Now, it isn't clear what the point of polarisation is. He's a bloke who was PM, wasn't a very good one, and now isn't. You are - no doubt from your particular position in the Conservative Party - just seeing this from a totally different perspective than the vast majority of the public. Johnson is ancient history.
    For starters as they would be more likely to be from the right of the party and their supporters will push hard to get Boris back as an MP
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Being PM with a large majority, like Johnson was, should be a dream scenario. Back in December 2019, a decade stretched out in front of him as World King. Then he f***ed it up.

LOTO is okay if you're winning. But you can't actually do anything, which is frustrating, and your internal enemies are thirsty for your blood.

Also, if the Conservatives lose badly this year as seems quite likely, the way back is a long slog. Johnson simply isn't a man who is interested in that sort of thing.
    Maybe. Maybe not. We are seeing the most volatile period in western politics since the 1970s, new governments are swiftly losing popularity all over due to cost of living and high interest rates impacted by the lockdowns and Ukraine war. Who would have thought in January 2021 a defeated Trump would be back leading many US polls again?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,882
    Of course Boris is plotting a comeback.
    His hope is to see some stooge replace Sunak, someone who will supply him with a safe seat or perhaps a seat in the Lords.

From there he’ll hope to be Tory leader by 2028.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,183
    The roads are a mess. National embarrassment.

The railway is a mess. National embarrassment.

We need a programme of national investment in both.

• Options
    edited February 18

Eh? Are you seriously saying no taxpayer money is spent on the roads? On potholes that Rishi Sunak keeps announcing money for?

I am against all of these costs, no public money on anything car-related.
    Yes, I'm saying not a single penny of taxpayer money is being spent on the roads that hasn't come from road-based taxation.

If all the taxes drivers paid went to fixing potholes or building new roads, with not a penny coming from elsewhere, the expenditure on roads would shoot up, not decrease.
  • Options
    edited February 18
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Bullshit.
    I'm actually a massive fan of car congestion. It's why average speeds are so slow on the roads, contributing to a reduction in casualties. A 20mph limit is redundant in most cities during rush hour as the average speed is significantly slower anyway.

My concern is that measures to reduce traffic in cities will see a large increase in high velocity collisions with pedestrians.
    While most of the time I drive in urban areas I have my cruise control set to the speed limit, whether that be 30, 40 or 50 miles per hour. Too many places are 30 that really should be more, or 50 when they should really be 70.

Cruise control can't be set in my vehicle less than 25 mph, but that's rarely a problem unless I'm at or approaching red lights.

Not everyone only experiences driving in a city, at rush hour.

Still at least you didn't attempt to defend your bullshit claim and accepted it was bullshit and tried to move on to a stereotypical out-of-touch city experience.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,208

Perhaps we're just ahead of the curve in phasing out unnecessary journeys. In a world of the internet and Metaverse/Apple Vision, do we really want roads and railways?
  • Options

Perhaps we're just ahead of the curve in phasing out unnecessary journeys. In a world of the internet and Metaverse/Apple Vision, do we really want roads and railways?
    Yes.
  • Options

Of course Boris is plotting a comeback.
    His hope is to see some stooge replace Sunak, someone who will supply him with a safe seat or perhaps a seat in the Lords.

From there he’ll hope to be Tory leader by 2028.

Boris planning a comeback is about as likely as Tony Blair planning a comeback.

He's history.
  • Options

We spend £11 billion a year on roads, IIRC

VED generates £7 billion. And Fuel Duty £25 billion.
  • Options
    edited February 18

And how much does @AverageNinja contribute to that fund?

How much in taxes are electric car drivers will be paying to fuel their vehicles too?
  • Options

What's wrong with railways??
  • Options

I thought Ninjas always run over rooftops, as a mode of travel?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,056
    Evening everyone. Hope you've had a nice weekend.
  • Options

I thought Ninjas always run over rooftops, as a mode of travel?
    I travel by Horse
This discussion has been closed.