Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Not the news Rishi wanted on double by-election day – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,502

kinabalu said:

London Overground: New names for its six lines revealed
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68296483

More work for Sunil. More triggers for anti-woke campaigners.

Did the Diversity Line get cancelled?
    What this will trigger in response, now, is a Conservative/Reform mayor doing the opposite when the next opportunity arises..

Prepare for the Thatcher Line, Dowding Line, Rhodes Line, Nelson Line and Brunel Line.
    I really hope not. My 60+ oyster is a treasured possession. It'd be tough on me to have to stop using it.

(Brunel's ok though. I'd go on that one)
    What's the objection to Dowding?

Nelson was a champion of the disability community, surely?
    Not so terrible, I suppose. I might use in an emergency.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,045
    Early contender for best tweet of GE '24: https://x.com/JPBWFarm/status/1757860952530149453?s=20
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,804
    So vote SNP rather than Slab for a Tory-free Scotland? Not the message Anas Sarwar want to hear!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,097
    ydoethur said:

Banal, naff and very very Sadiq.
    It is just that we are familiar with banal tube line names: Circle, Central, Northern and so on.
    The Circle line isn't a circle, and the Northern line goes further south than any other tube line. I can't comment on all the new Overground names but my local line, the Windrush line, seems very aptly named.
    Some of them are reasonable. Windrush. Mildmay. Weaver is a bit dubious but there was some weaving on some parts of the line, so it can pass.

Others are silly. Suffragettes. Liberty (what does that even mean in this context)? Lionesses, well, at the moment they're riding high but the reasoning seems forced.

It illustrates one of the issues with the current left wing thinking - even when they have a good underlying point they tend to push it to far and leaving sensible people* thinking 'wtf?'

I can see why they liked the Suffragettes...

*Not necessarily including Leon here.
    The Suffragette Line should have been officially called the Goblin - I think that’s what many knew it as;Gospel Oak to Barking line
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Early contender for best tweet of GE '24: https://x.com/JPBWFarm/status/1757860952530149453?s=20

Shocking misuse of an apostrophe in that Tweet.
  • Options
    I have to go, so a final thought, I do find it amusing how many left-wingers here are objecting to my saying that it is not Brexit it is economic mismanagement that is leading to Britain's lack of growth per capita and productivity growth.

Because economic mismanagement is easier to fix than Brexit via a change of Government and Chancellor of the Exchequer.

I am suggesting if a new Government comes that directs our expenditure more to capital investment rather than all going on current expenditure, then that will boost our productivity and growth.

To which our left-wingers here seem to be appalled at that idea. Not entirely sure why?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,005
    ydoethur said:

It is just that we are familiar with banal tube line names: Circle, Central, Northern and so on.
    The Circle line isn't a circle, and the Northern line goes further south than any other tube line. I can't comment on all the new Overground names but my local line, the Windrush line, seems very aptly named.
    Some of them are reasonable. Windrush. Mildmay. Weaver is a bit dubious but there was some weaving on some parts of the line, so it can pass.

Others are silly. Suffragettes. Liberty (what does that even mean in this context)? Lionesses, well, at the moment they're riding high but the reasoning seems forced.

It illustrates one of the issues with the current left wing thinking - even when they have a good underlying point they tend to push it to far and leaving sensible people* thinking 'wtf?'

Windrush and Mildmay aren't bad ideas for names. The rest of them are crap, and infantile. And no sense of history. If you *must* do woke, then why not the Pankhurst line, rather than the Suffragette line? As for the lioness line, it's more than a bit cringe, especially for those of us who don't like football of any variety, let alone the women's kind. Might as well name it the Spice Girl line, weren't they all about women's empowerment? It's about the same level of gravitas.

A cheeky Conservative response might be to suggest they name the lines after our female and ethnic minority prime ministers. Of course, the down side to this would mean someone would end up getting the Truss line...
  • Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    So much on Sunak's promise to get inflation under control My car insurance has just gone up by 67%. That's with a low mileage and no claims for the last 37 years.
    For a lot of people, driving a car is an essential activity...think plumbers, electricians, gardeners, home carers and district nurses, delivery drivers, so a big knock on cost on many services
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,714
    edited February 15
    Betting post:
    Have we noted this
    https://analysis.irelandthinks.ie/wellingborough-by-election/

on the Wellingborough byelection? No, I have no idea what this is or who they are, or even if it is real, but Politico has linked to it. But it happens to match my intuition. DYOR.
  • Options
    edited February 15

I have to go, so a final thought, I do find it amusing how many left-wingers here are objecting to my saying that it is not Brexit it is economic mismanagement that is leading to Britain's lack of growth per capita and productivity growth.

Because economic mismanagement is easier to fix than Brexit via a change of Government and Chancellor of the Exchequer.

I am suggesting if a new Government comes that directs our expenditure more to capital investment rather than all going on current expenditure, then that will boost our productivity and growth.

To which our left-wingers here seem to be appalled at that idea. Not entirely sure why?

I don't think you'll find any left-winger suggest that Brexit is the only piece of economic mismanagement performed by the government.
  • Options
    franklyn said:

So much on Sunak's promise to get inflation under control My car insurance has just gone up by 67%. That's with a low mileage and no claims for the last 37 years.
    For a lot of people, driving a car is an essential activity...think plumbers, electricians, gardeners, home carers and district nurses, delivery drivers, so a big knock on cost on many services

Have you used a comparison site or is that just the renewal quote?

My renewal end of last year the quote was obscene like that but using a comparison site [as I had the year before] my actual renewal cost was a marginal increase.

It does seem to vary a lot though.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Pop quiz: Is anyone here actually against us rejoining EEA/EFTA?

Not me. I have argued for it since long before Brexit. You get the free trade and free movement without the political BS and the huge costs. I am just sorry it took too long and cost me my £100 bet with Richard N.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

I don't think you'll find any left-winger suggest that Brexit is the only piece of economic mismanagement performed by the government.
    But you think Tory stewardship has been so good that in a counterfactual without Brexit we'd be growing more than Europe/France etc?

Hard to square those circles.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,852
    Eabhal said:

Moments later he was flattened by a speeding SUV driver shouting "sanity, not vanity!"
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,099
    edited February 15
    Anyone know a member of the House of Lords - if you do get them to support this amendment

https://takes.jamesomalley.co.uk/p/the-house-of-lords-could-liberate

While it may not seem much the PAF data owned by the royal mail makes simple things like a national “what bin type is it this week” app impossible
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,578
    algarkirk said:

Betting post:
    Have we noted this

on the Wellingborough byelection? No, I have no idea what this is or who they are, or even if it is real, but Politico has linked to it. But it happens to match my intuition. DYOR.

Looks a bit voodoo, without more info. I can see they've weighted the results, but that only works if they've got a representative sample in the groups they weight on.

Would really need to know how they selected participants before putting any weight on it. If they did random address selection (or even random streets/areas) and chose a sensible time of day then it could be ok. If they stood on the main shopping street during working hours then they could get a real nonsense sample.

(My wife used to get paid relatively good money for, among other things, analysing voodoo polls - the consultancy business she worked for commissioned people on minimum wage to stand outside stations asking people about their transport habits - for some reason they picked up a lot of train users :lol: )
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,945

nico679 said:

24 hours is a long time in politics !

After yesterday’s inflation news there must have been relief in 10. Today’s GDP figures are a disaster for Sunak.

They can spin it’s a technical recession , backward looking data blah blah ....

The fact is one of his pledges has imploded . Hunt standing there saying the plan is working only makes matters worse .

It just looks delusional and out of touch .

But Hunt has to say something.

And "it's a nightmare but there's not a lot I can do about it" might be more accurate but it's unsayable.
    Or he could be even more outrageous and try 'Well I did say at the time that it would be a financial disaster and the health service might collapse but that's what the country voted for and we now have to make the best of it'
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,176
    mwadams said:

Count Binface has a counter proposal for the Overground Lines.

https://mastodon.world/@CountBinface/111934777237031296

Bread Line might be more appropriate for the times.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,578

Starmer, Brown and Blair have made a right fucking mess of things, haven't they?
    Time for a change.

Don't forget the chaos we suffered under Ed Miliband!
  • Options

Eabhal said:

But you think Tory stewardship has been so good that in a counterfactual without Brexit we'd be growing more than Europe/France etc?

Hard to square those circles.
    I think it's probably down to hardworking innovative millennials.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Poor leadership wouldn't have helped but the reason the Tories face wipeout is all here. Even if voters can stand the social consequences of their 2016 vote which is becomming more significant by the day the economic consequences are here for all to see. Johnson farage Cameron Cummings and 90% of present Tory MPs having shot themselves in the foot should now aim higher

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/goldman-sachs-says-brexit-is-costing-us-5-of-gdp-how-long-can-this-disaster-go-on/

I agree. I think Occam's Razor applies here. If it walks like a duck...

The Brexiteers will spin off into a million different directions trying to argue that it is absolutely nothing to do with Brexit. Our poor performance cannot possibly be anything to do with the absolute insanity of taking ourselves out of the Single Market and ending Freedom of Movement. The ever mounting pile of reports from think tanks, banks, universities, economists off all stripes, that argue, with clear robust evidence, that Brexit has caused huge, and lasting, economic damage well, they're all wrong.

Still, the rich citizens of nowhere who conned us into this are doing absolutely fine. So sod the rest of us, eh?
    A good post but I'd argue that those who led us into this blind alley weren't 'the citizens of nowhere' in the Theresa May meaning but the worst of the worst 'The little Englanders'. The Rees Moggs. The English exceptionalists of which we have several examples on here.
    Rees-Mogg perhaps straddles both camps? He was cynical enough to shift his hedge fund to Ireland, I think? Like Dyson didn't build a promised factory here. Nor Ratcliffe. Because Brexit.

But The Little Englanders are just the useful idiots who cheerfully, eagerly, swallowed the guff spouted by the super rich, happily voting to make themselves and their loved ones poorer, in an increasingly dilapidated country, because we used to have an empire and sovereignty, or something. Nostalgia for a half-remembered Raj, for Rhodesia and Malaya, as foreign policy in the 21st century.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,852
    algarkirk said:

Betting post:
    Have we noted this

Not great numbers for Reform if this poll is accurate.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,945

Jonathan said:

Not me. I have argued for it since long before Brexit. You get the free trade and free movement without the political BS and the huge costs. I am just sorry it took too long and cost me my £100 bet with Richard N.
    Well we've certainly been spared the political BS and the huge costs....
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,714

Jonathan said:

Ditto. It was strongly argued for by a minority before during and after the referendum, mostly as a position from which a longer term strategy could be worked out. Had we done it, I suspect it would have proved very long term. And we should start doing it right now.

In essence it was the nearest thing, if not near enough, to being in a proper and well developed free trade association with out closest friends and allies but not in a process towards political union - a matter which was and is inevitable now there is a common currency etc.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,845

Roger said:

Roger said:

Poor leadership wouldn't have helped but the reason the Tories face wipeout is all here. Even if voters can stand the social consequences of their 2016 vote which is becomming more significant by the day the economic consequences are here for all to see. Johnson farage Cameron Cummings and 90% of present Tory MPs having shot themselves in the foot should now aim higher

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/goldman-sachs-says-brexit-is-costing-us-5-of-gdp-how-long-can-this-disaster-go-on/

I agree. I think Occam's Razor applies here. If it walks like a duck...

The Brexiteers will spin off into a million different directions trying to argue that it is absolutely nothing to do with Brexit. Our poor performance cannot possibly be anything to do with the absolute insanity of taking ourselves out of the Single Market and ending Freedom of Movement. The ever mounting pile of reports from think tanks, banks, universities, economists off all stripes, that argue, with clear robust evidence, that Brexit has caused huge, and lasting, economic damage well, they're all wrong.

Still, the rich citizens of nowhere who conned us into this are doing absolutely fine. So sod the rest of us, eh?
    A good post but I'd argue that those who led us into this blind alley weren't 'the citizens of nowhere' in the Theresa May meaning but the worst of the worst 'The little Englanders'. The Rees Moggs. The English exceptionalists of which we have several examples on here.
    Rees-Mogg perhaps straddles both camps? He was cynical enough to shift his hedge fund to Ireland, I think? Like Dyson didn't build a promised factory here. Nor Ratcliffe. Because Brexit.

But The Little Englanders are just the useful idiots who cheerfully, eagerly, swallowed the guff spouted by the super rich, happily voting to make themselves and their loved ones poorer, in an increasingly dilapidated country, because we used to have an empire and sovereignty, or something. Nostalgia for a half-remembered Raj, for Rhodesia and Malaya, as foreign policy in the 21st century.
    The reason that Dyson didn't *expand* the factory here was that a group of well off incomers liked their idyllic country existence near untouched by progress. You know, jobs for the actual locals.

So they prevented any expansion of the existing site.

If you want factories in the UK, then you have to like them, when they are built next door.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    FF43 said:

algarkirk said:

Betting post:
    Have we noted this

Not great numbers for Reform if this poll is accurate.
    First thought- it's face to face, and UK polling has moved away from that because people lie in that situation. Question is, what is the main lie being told?

Second thought- if Reform don't break through in Wellingborough today, where and when do they do so?
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

That choice of photo really brings home the horror of low traffic areas.

What if a busy executive wanted to drive down that street in his Range Rover to visit his sick grandmother in hospital? Those selfish cafe customers and the couple idly looking in a shop window could literally mean he misses her dying words. It's sobering stuff.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

ydoethur said:

Windrush and Mildmay aren't bad ideas for names. The rest of them are crap, and infantile. And no sense of history. If you *must* do woke, then why not the Pankhurst line, rather than the Suffragette line? As for the lioness line, it's more than a bit cringe, especially for those of us who don't like football of any variety, let alone the women's kind. Might as well name it the Spice Girl line, weren't they all about women's empowerment? It's about the same level of gravitas.

A cheeky Conservative response might be to suggest they name the lines after our female and ethnic minority prime ministers. Of course, the down side to this would mean someone would end up getting the Truss line...
    The Royal Mail hears you and has issued commemorative Spice Girls stamps.
    https://shop.royalmail.com/special-stamp-issues/spice-girls
  • Options
    Selebian said:

algarkirk said:

Betting post:
    Have we noted this

Looks a bit voodoo, without more info. I can see they've weighted the results, but that only works if they've got a representative sample in the groups they weight on.

Would really need to know how they selected participants before putting any weight on it. If they did random address selection (or even random streets/areas) and chose a sensible time of day then it could be ok. If they stood on the main shopping street during working hours then they could get a real nonsense sample.

(My wife used to get paid relatively good money for, among other things, analysing voodoo polls - the consultancy business she worked for commissioned people on minimum wage to stand outside stations asking people about their transport habits - for some reason they picked up a lot of train users :lol: )
    Older PB users were often bored by my explanation of why pollsters' once-popular last digit randomisation method of sampling was flawed.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,253
    Suffragette Line is a bit of a mouthful, TBH, but I’m glad they have changed the colours. Having just orange for six or seven different lines made no sense.

Next steps:

• create separate colours and names for all the different Northern lines
    • reduce Waterloo & City and Hammersmith & City to just one word (why do they alone have three words?)
    • remove the word line on the Liz line branding (why is this the only line that does this?)
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,520
    Leon said:

Apposite

Right now it feels like all of Britain is a haunted hotel

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/how-to-check-in-to-a-haunted-hotel/

Do you pay to advertise here?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Did the Diversity Line get cancelled?
    What this will trigger in response, now, is a Conservative/Reform mayor doing the opposite when the next opportunity arises..

Prepare for the Thatcher Line, Dowding Line, Rhodes Line, Nelson Line and Brunel Line.
    I really hope not. My 60+ oyster is a treasured possession. It'd be tough on me to have to stop using it.

(Brunel's ok though. I'd go on that one)
    What's the objection to Dowding?

Nelson was a champion of the disability community, surely?
    Noted philanderer and adulterer - not woke.
  • Options

Torsten Bell
    @TorstenBell
    ·
    2h
    Seriously people - look at what's happening in terms of GDP/capita (which is what ultimately matters for our living standards). This is a proper recession just being hidden by having more people - GDP/capita declined 0.7 per cent in 2023 with falls in every single quarter

I tend to associate recession with unemployment, as that was the era I grew up in. The lack of unemployment makes this 'feel' different, which I think is what our hants correspondent is saying.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,005

kyf_100 said:

ydoethur said:

The Royal Mail hears you and has issued commemorative Spice Girls stamps.
    https://shop.royalmail.com/special-stamp-issues/spice-girls
    Delightfully retro. Presents me with the same dilemma I had as an adolescent - spending hours ruminating over which one I'd lick from top to bottom first.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,624
    edited February 15
    ydoethur said:

I think from a usability point of view it's not an optimal set of names. You have two names that both start with "Li" and two names that both start with "W". Mildmay is a bit of a weird one to pronounce.

C- should have done better.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,953
    London Reconnections on the new London railway line names: https://www.londonreconnections.com/2024/the-big-split-overground-line-names/

Includes a great story about how the Waterloo & City line colour was chosen. A moral in there for everyone!
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,624
    Phil said:

London Reconnections on the new London railway line names: https://www.londonreconnections.com/2024/the-big-split-overground-line-names/

Includes a great story about how the Waterloo & City line colour was chosen. A moral in there for everyone!

I like the name for the Liberty Line a lot more now that I've read about the thinking behind it.
  • Options
    RunDeepRunDeep Posts: 77
    nico679 said:

Hamas attacks Israel .

Israel initially has a lot of goodwill .

The Israeli government and IDF response is seen as disproportionate .

People conflating that response with Jews worldwide leads to more anti-Semitism .

It’s really not rocket science !

Except that the increase in attacks started on the day of the massacre, well before Israel's response. And some of those attacks against Jews here celebrated the massacre, which is pretty horrifying.
This discussion has been closed.