Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump remains a 49% chance of regaining the White House – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,981

If Reform win Wellingborough (I don’t think they have much chance in the other one) then they can expect a polling bounce and crossover isn’t impossible. The Tories are on the brink of an electoral catastrophe.

Why do you think Reform might win Wellingborough? Do they have a local track record? Is there any reporting of a local groundswell of support? I’ll be surprised if they do better than a distant third.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,618

kle4 said:

Westminster Voting Intention:

LAB: 45% (=)
    CON: 20% (-3)
    RFM: 12% (+2)
    LDM: 10% (=)
    GRN: 9% (+3)

Via
    @PeoplePolling
    , 25 Jan.
    Changes w/ 28 Dec.

https://x.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1750888826870919231

Another dire poll for Sunak and the Tories.
    Bit dog bites man really. Let us know when there's a more than the occasional poll showing a mere 15 point deficit.
    That's three polls this month with the Tories on just 20%. Can't be long before we one with them in the teens.

What is their floor? We used to think it was 30%.
    9% ?
    Admittedly not a Westminster election.
    We don't do EU elections any more!
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,862
    edited January 26
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Agreed on the idea Trump will not pay a dime to Carrol. Nor will he run out of money - if he wins the presidency most of his problems will go away and the ones that don't can probably be put off until he dies.

If he doens't win the presidency, well, it's a rare rich person who seems to be entirely bereft of funds even when they declare bankruptcy, and as theenglishborn notes he genuinely also raises tens of millions from everyday americans. No doubt he'll raise loads of the back of this verdict (donating to his various PACs often allows him to use the funds for legal defence, freeing up other cash).

Is are you saying he won't pay anything based on legal knowledge or is it just from the general vibe that rich people in America get away with stuff?

Just reading the lawyerish people on bsky it seems like
    - He's already put up $5 million which is out of his bank account but not yet in Carroll's
    - He can appeal, but will probably lose the appeal
    - If he appeals, he can either put the rest of the $83 million in escrow, or 30 days from now Carroll can start going to court in any state where he has property to seize his cash and personal property and put liens on his real estate.
    From my limited knowledge of US cases, I hesitate to use the word “justice”, it is quite common for appeals to succeed in these cases and the level of damages to be substantially reduced. The jury here has awarded significantly more than the claimant was even asking for.

The civil jury system in the US is out of control, especially for high profile, parties. Sympathy for Trump is beyond me but I don’t believe that this will stand whether he wins the presidency or not.
    They asked for 12 million in general compensatory and 12 million reputational repair, so 24 million compensatory, plus a very large punitive award because he just won't stop and has said he is worth 10 billion. So I don't think it is the case that it was significantly more than the claimant was asking for, the only question was how much punitive they might give. They actually didn't max out the the non punitive award.

How much will it take to fix her reputation? Between 7 to 12 million. We say 12...

Next, we say another $12 million, probably much more. On punitives, I'm not going to tell you exactly how much. You can consider his wealth. Donald Trump is worth billions of dollars, he said that under oath. This will take an unusually high award

https://nitter.net/innercitypress/status/1750910368514207842#m

In some states, possibly not New York, they have limits on what can be awarded but they don't tell the juries what the limit is. Even if New York has no limit, reductions appear very common.
    Trump has already lost one Appeal in the previous case from last spring where $5 million damages were awarded. In that case he attempted to reduce damages to <$1 million, not have it all cancelled.
    https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/judge-upholds-the-5-million-verdict-against-trump-in-e-jean-carrolls-sex-abuse-and-defamation-case

So he accepted last June he will have to pay something.

And he continued daily and routine defamation since then leading to the current case and the $83.1 damages verdict.

Trump already lost an attempted (interlocutory - part way through the case, I think) Appeal in the current case when it was ruled that Presidential Immunity did not apply - on the grounds that he had waived it by not raising it as a defence in the past 3 years. In the US Appeals cannot be on the basis of new evidence introduced into a case not mentioned in previous litigation in the same case aiui.

In the current case he has already been on as liable to pay compensation for continued defamation by a previous Jury. This Jury (who just past verdict) is there to consider damages only, and Trumps lawyer Alina Habba was warned of being sanctioned with prison if she kept trying to refer to non-admissible evidence during I think her closing argument.

I am not actually sure what the Appeals chain is now. In the one from last spring I think it would be Supreme Court (not clear whether NY State supreme Court or USA Supreme Court). Not sure about the current case !

I can't call whether he'll try and settle, because since he continued defamations throughout this SECOND Eugene Carroll case, he has set himself up for a THIRD defamation case by continuing his defamation.

Presidents cannot give a pardon in a civil case aiui, so he's dangling on a hook attaching more sandbags to his feet by continuing his defamations. Supreme Courts can accept the case if they wish. Would Trump wish to do that, given that he already besieging the US Supreme Court with other things?

Incidentally, Eugene Carroll is 80.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,976

If Reform win Wellingborough (I don’t think they have much chance in the other one) then they can expect a polling bounce and crossover isn’t impossible. The Tories are on the brink of an electoral catastrophe.

Why do you think Reform might win Wellingborough? Do they have a local track record? Is there any reporting of a local groundswell of support? I’ll be surprised if they do better than a distant third.
    I am not convinced that they will make third.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,576
    Donald J. Trump might one day have to pay E. Jean Carroll the $83.3 million she was awarded, but that day is not today.

Mr. Trump called the jury’s decision “Absolutely ridiculous!” and vowed to appeal the verdict, a process that could take months or more.

And while he is waiting for an appellate court to rule, Mr. Trump need not cut Ms. Carroll a check.

NY Times

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,283

UKIP have a track record there, winning 20% of the vote in the 2015 General Election (albeit when the Labour candidate had issues), so if people don't want to elect Peter Bone's girlfriend and don't want Labour, they could come through the middle.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,173

UKIP have a track record there, winning 20% of the vote in the 2015 General Election (albeit when the Labour candidate had issues), so if people don't want to elect Peter Bone's girlfriend and don't want Labour, they could come through the middle.
    Reform have killed their vibe by flirting with Putinism.
  • Options
    edited January 26

HYUFD said:

BORIS JOHNSON: Would I sign up to fight for King and country? Yes, Sah! Lance Corporal Johnson reporting for duty, Sah!
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-13010871/BORIS-JOHNSON-fight-King-country.html

Lance Corporal? Ideas above his station.
    Apropos of absolutely nothing whatsoever, Hitler was a good Corporal, and won the Iron Cross.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,190
    edited January 26

Donald J. Trump might one day have to pay E. Jean Carroll the $83.3 million she was awarded, but that day is not today.

Mr. Trump called the jury’s decision “Absolutely ridiculous!” and vowed to appeal the verdict, a process that could take months or more.

And while he is waiting for an appellate court to rule, Mr. Trump need not cut Ms. Carroll a check.

NY Times

But as I understand it, to appeal he has to post a big bunch of that award.

EDIT It is actually the full amount.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,778

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Last night, Alabama executed Kenneth Smith by the administration of nitrogen gas. Smith, who murdered a pastor’s wife in 1988, was strapped down as officials put a tight fitting, commercial industrial-safety respirator mask on his face. A canister of pure nitrogen was attached to the mask and set flowing. One local journalist who witnessed the execution said Smith struggled and thrashed about – well as much as the restraints on him made possible – for four or five minutes. Indeed, his struggle for life may have lasted some 20 minutes. Five minutes may not seem a long time, but you just try going without breathing for that long. He eventually suffocated; it is plain that he struggled desperately for air, as we all would have done."

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/alabamas-nitrogen-gas-execution-is-indefensible/

Whatever your view on the death penalty generally, oxygen deprivation through nitrogen poisoning is a horrible way to go.

Why didn't they simply go with carbon monoxide poisoning? Much more pleasant.
    Or use whatever it was that Michael Jackson OD'd on.
    The theory behind it is that the human body has no reaction to breathing pure nitrogen. There have been industrial accidents proving this theory - people accidently breathing pure nitrogen pass out very quickly.

Sounds like they fucked on the “pure nitrogen” bit.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

It is sad that this advice should need to be given.

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1750998393910919556
    Judge Kaplan, to jurors: "My advice to you is that you never disclose that you were on this jury."

That feels a bit icky of the Judge to be honest.
    I'm genuinely curious why you think that - it seems like a valid concern in the charged political climate and extremism of the US that revealing themselves to be on it will lead to death threats. They can still do what they want, but he's offering a sobering piece of advice - they were anonymised for sound reasons.
    It feels icky because it was made before an audience, and clearly intended for that audience, to indicate how awful and dangerous Trump's social media hordes are. If he wanted to actually help the members of the jury stay secure, he would have made sure such warnings were made privately and sensitively. As it is, he decided to publicly shit them up to make a passive aggressive point about Trump and his supporters.

My brief reading of the trial just now had a bit on social media - the prosecution successfully blamed Trump for the death threats etc., whereas his solicitor claimed that it happened to most public figures and that she gets several death threats a week. The judge forbade her from showing her own Twitter feed.
    How does whether she gets death threats or not relate to whether Trump defamed Carroll? That’s why she wasn’t allowed to show her Twitter feed. If she wants to sue Carroll or Carroll supporters, she can do that in her own case.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I am not convinced that they will make third.
    Indeed. That’s a best case scenario, not a prediction.

I will bravely predict that they will come third, fourth or fifth.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,229

That's a good base to start from: but by-elections tend to be won with ground game. Do they have activists in the constituency?
  • Options
    Expect more lawsuits filed this weekend for injunctive relief to stop Trump making further defamatory comments about E J Carroll.

And Trump probably won't be able to hold his tongue. So at that point, he will be jailed.

First trial down. The big one is next week though.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,618

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Last night, Alabama executed Kenneth Smith by the administration of nitrogen gas. Smith, who murdered a pastor’s wife in 1988, was strapped down as officials put a tight fitting, commercial industrial-safety respirator mask on his face. A canister of pure nitrogen was attached to the mask and set flowing. One local journalist who witnessed the execution said Smith struggled and thrashed about – well as much as the restraints on him made possible – for four or five minutes. Indeed, his struggle for life may have lasted some 20 minutes. Five minutes may not seem a long time, but you just try going without breathing for that long. He eventually suffocated; it is plain that he struggled desperately for air, as we all would have done."

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/alabamas-nitrogen-gas-execution-is-indefensible/

Whatever your view on the death penalty generally, oxygen deprivation through nitrogen poisoning is a horrible way to go.

The theory behind it is that the human body has no reaction to breathing pure nitrogen. There have been industrial accidents proving this theory - people accidently breathing pure nitrogen pass out very quickly.

Wherever you handle large volumes of liquid nitrogen there are "low oxygen" alarms.
  • Options

But UKIP got 3% in the general elections before and after 2015, and the Labour candidate doesn’t have any issues this time.

Winning by coming through the middle would mean Con, Lab and RefUK on about 30% each. (10% for everyone else combined.) That would mean the Labour vote had only risen by 4%. Is that plausible? No. (In Uxbridge, Labour’s bad result, they went up 6%.)
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,778

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Wherever you handle large volumes of liquid nitrogen there are "low oxygen" alarms.
    Yup. Because you don’t react to it. You get hypoxia and pass out.
  • Options
    edited January 27

Expect more lawsuits filed this weekend for injunctive relief to stop Trump making further defamatory comments about E J Carroll.

And Trump probably won't be able to hold his tongue. So at that point, he will be jailed.

For anyone not down the rabbit hole with a map, I think this one is the ruling by Judge Arthur Engoron in the New York Business Fraud case where the Prosecution has requested disgorgement of ill-gotten gains by Trump's businesses and other bits adding up to $370 million dollars, which was indicated as findings likely by the end of January. A ban of Trump ever doing business in New York has also been requested, and 5 year bans on mini-Trump 1 and mini-Trump 2. Plus one other whose name I have forgotten.

Again this is damages determination, as Trump has already been found liable.

On this one, Humpty-Trumpty *will* appeal.

Unless there is another trial next week as well :smile: .
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

There was a fascinating programme some years back made by Michael Portillo about the mechanics of carrying out the various death sentences in the US. If you just want to kill someone humanely, you can put them in a decompression chamber and reduce the pressure. They blackout and then die. Painlessly, no fuss.

However, the painless bit riled the lawmakers. They needed to suffer pain in the process was the general consensus he found.
  • Options
    MattW said:

For anyone not down the rabbit hole with a map, I think this one is the ruling by Judge Arthur Engoron in the New York Business Fraud case where the Prosecution has requested disgorgement of $370 million dollars of ill-gotten gains by Trump's businesses. A ban of Trump ever doing business in New York has also been requested, and 5 year bans on mini-Trump 1 and mini-Trump 2. Plus one other whose name I have forgotten.

No, that's the one! E J Carroll better get some liens on his properties pronto - before the state of NY bags them.

There's also potential for punitive damages in the NY case. For a repeated course of fraud. It could be north of half a billion.

And then there's the criminal cases...
  • Options
    edited January 27
    I think the significance of the Carroll judgment is that Trump lost. If Trump’s support is unconcerned with truth or logic, they do care that he’s (supposedly) a winner. Being a winner is clearly central to Trump’s psyche. He can campaign on how he’s being “persecuted” by Biden and the Dems, but that only works if he remains strong and fighting back, not if he keeps losing.

Trump supporters don’t want a Christ figure who is crucified. They want Rambo.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,229

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

There was a fascinating programme some years back made by Michael Portillo about the mechanics of carrying out the various death sentences in the US. If you just want to kill someone humanely, you can put them in a decompression chamber and reduce the pressure. They blackout and then die. Painlessly, no fuss.

However, the painless bit riled the lawmakers. They needed to suffer pain in the process was the general consensus he found.
    That's rather disturbing.

I would have thought death would be enough punishment.
  • Options
    edited January 27
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

It's on Vimeo. You can log in to watch with your Google account, or create one. Looks like a good, serious, humane Horizon programme.

The first bit has Mr Portillo watching a simulated long-drop hanging with a dummy. And rubbing his neck.

https://vimeo.com/83750163
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,470

MattW said:

For anyone not down the rabbit hole with a map, I think this one is the ruling by Judge Arthur Engoron in the New York Business Fraud case where the Prosecution has requested disgorgement of $370 million dollars of ill-gotten gains by Trump's businesses. A ban of Trump ever doing business in New York has also been requested, and 5 year bans on mini-Trump 1 and mini-Trump 2. Plus one other whose name I have forgotten.

No, that's the one! E J Carroll better get some liens on his properties pronto - before the state of NY bags them.

There's also potential for punitive damages in the NY case. For a repeated course of fraud. It could be north of half a billion.

And then there's the criminal cases...
    ...and yet we still have posters like @williamglenn and others blowing smoke up Trump's arse. Remarkable.
  • Options

I think the significance of the Carroll judgment is that Trump lost. If Trump’s support is unconcerned with truth or logic, they do care that he’s (supposedly) a winner. Being a winner is clearly central to Trump’s psyche. He can campaign on how he’s being “persecuted” by Biden and the Dems, but that only works if he remains strong and fighting back, not if he keeps losing.

Trump has been fined getting on for $100m for

1. raping a woman (as found by the court - either with his fingers or his penis)

2. defaming the woman he was found to have raped.

3. continuing right up to date to defame the woman he was found to have raped.

Now call me naive, but I think there's a bunch of women voters who are going to pay attention to this - and go "eeeeeeeew......."

Trump next week loses up to half a billion dollars disgorgement to the state of New York for

1. repeatedly committing fraud on the size and value of his assets.

2. consequently getting low rates of interest not available to honest folk trying to run a business in a cost of living crisis.

Now call me naive, but I think there's a bunch of voters who are going to pay attention to this - and go "why should he cheat his way to cheap money when my business risked going under/went under because I couldn't even borrow expensive money - and go "grrrrrrrrr......"
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157

IDK, they seem to enjoy a fair amount of victimization too. His big story is that while he was president he allowed the election to be stolen from him by a dementia sufferer. His supporters seem to be able to believe that and simultaneously believe that he's strong and clever.
  • Options

IDK, they seem to enjoy a fair amount of victimization too. His big story is that while he was president he allowed the election to be stolen from him by a dementia sufferer. His supporters seem to be able to believe that and simultaneously believe that he's strong and clever.
    It’s a working theory.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157

1. raping a woman (as found by the court - either with his fingers or his penis)

Now call me naive, but I think there's a bunch of women voters who are going to pay attention to this - and go "eeeeeeeew......."

Trump next week loses up to half a billion dollars disgorgement to the state of New York for

2. consequently getting low rates of interest not available to honest folk trying to run a business in a cost of living crisis.

Now call me naive, but I think there's a bunch of voters who are going to pay attention to this - and go "why should he cheat his way to cheap money when my business risked going under/went under because I couldn't even borrow expensive money - and go "grrrrrrrrr......"
    Just on a factual point, the jury in this case found that Carroll had *not* proven that Trump raped her, but that she had proven that he sexually abused her. There are legitimate arguments about what constitutes rape but he wasn't found guilty of it on the definition used by this court.
  • Options
    MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

It's on Vimeo. You can log in to watch with your Google account, or create one. Looks like a good, serious, humane Horizon programme.

The first bit has Mr Portillo watching a simulated long-drop hanging with a dummy. And rubbing his neck.

Well done for finding it. It was in the early days of his TV career, when he was trying to reinvent himself. Before the train journeys. I remember being quietly impressed with the way he set about it.
  • Options

Just on a factual point, the jury in this case found that Carroll had *not* proven that Trump raped her, but that she had proven that he sexually abused her. There are legitimate arguments about what constitutes rape but he wasn't found guilty of it on the definition used by this court.
    But he was in the original court case. The one he now probably regrets not turning up to.
  • Options
    edited January 27

MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Well done for finding it. It was in the early days of his TV career, when he was trying to reinvent himself. Before the train journeys. I remember being quietly impressed with the way he set about it.
    I like Vimeo - since they started in the first wave of Vlogging in 2004 they have been a high quality though not massively used service, hosting high quality videos.

And as far I know they have had the heavy hand of prissy censorship which affects Youtube content.
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

I like Vimeo - since they started in the first wave of Vlogging in 2004 they have been a high quality though not massively used service, hosting high quality videos.

And as far I know they have had the heavy hand of prissy censorship which affects Youtube content.
    LOL typoo - "have not had".
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,400

I do kind of understand the psychology of Trump fans in not though, given they have gone down the conspiracist rabbithole and see him as a saviour-figure from an apparent collapse of America. It's mad. But it's the psychology of the cult leader. Whatever crimes 'the leader' commits, you're told are either excusable, lies, or 'part of the plan', because he's your shield from something more apocalyptic. For others it's simple self-interest if they like what Trump's selling.

We just have to hope that enough Americans don't think that way than do, and they live in the right places.

The fascinating thing is what is the Tories in this country's excuse? They're not in the cult. Even though some would like to sign up, they can't. They're not getting anything out of it.

Every one of them who has said something slightly positive about him should be asked whether in that case, they're fine with sexual assault.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,160
    Some of you will recall my previous posts about the problems caused by living on one's phones, in cyberspace or what Iain M banks characterised as the Land of Infinite Fun. Mary Harrington has written a piece for UnHerd (please forgive me Lord) on a similar subject: how our retreat into anonymised hugboxing bubbles may explain the growth in alien sightings as we decouple ourselves from the material world.

https://unherd.com/2024/01/aliens-are-among-us/

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,812

The Tories are polling well under what Nick Clegg got in the 2010GE.

How many seats did he get?

And his vote was relatively efficiently concentrated.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,138
    viewcode said:

Some of you will recall my previous posts about the problems caused by living on one's phones, in cyberspace or what Iain M banks characterised as the Land of Infinite Fun. Mary Harrington has written a piece for UnHerd (please forgive me Lord) on a similar subject: how our retreat into anonymised hugboxing bubbles may explain the growth in alien sightings as we decouple ourselves from the material world.

https://unherd.com/2024/01/aliens-are-among-us/

This is precisely why I've never bought a smartphone despite always being interested in the latest technology.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,156
    MJW said:

I do kind of understand the psychology of Trump fans in not though, given they have gone down the conspiracist rabbithole and see him as a saviour-figure from an apparent collapse of America. It's mad. But it's the psychology of the cult leader. Whatever crimes 'the leader' commits, you're told are either excusable, lies, or 'part of the plan', because he's your shield from something more apocalyptic. For others it's simple self-interest if they like what Trump's selling.

We just have to hope that enough Americans don't think that way than do, and they live in the right places.

The fascinating thing is what is the Tories in this country's excuse? They're not in the cult. Even though some would like to sign up, they can't. They're not getting anything out of it.

Every one of them who has said something slightly positive about him should be asked whether in that case, they're fine with sexual assault.
    It's the basic function of gangsterism. They want to align with power and be seen as powerful themselves. The violence is a part of that. That it is somewhat outside their sphere also gives them protection from the downside of that kind of power which is that it turns against them. Fundamentally it is a sign of a deep weakness.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,156

The Tories are polling well under what Nick Clegg got in the 2010GE.

How many seats did he get?

And his vote was relatively efficiently concentrated.
    If Reform beat the Tories in Wellingborough without winning it would be nearly as bad.
  • Options
    edited January 27
    mwadams said:

MJW said:

It's the basic function of gangsterism. They want to align with power and be seen as powerful themselves. The violence is a part of that. That it is somewhat outside their sphere also gives them protection from the downside of that kind of power which is that it turns against them. Fundamentally it is a sign of a deep weakness.
    Good morning all.

Mr Trump drew a comparison with (his words) "The great Alphonse Capone", a little before Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQAdT1u63ac

"Did anybody ever hear of the great Alphonse Capone, Al Capone, great, great head of the mafia, right? Mean, Scarface. He had a scar that went from here to here, and he didn’t mind at all. But he was a rough guy.
    “Now, I heard he was indicted once — a couple of people told me a few times more — but I was indicted four times.
    “If he had dinner with you and if he didn’t like the way you smiled at him at dinner, he would kill you. You’d be dead. By the time you walked out of the nice restaurant, you would be dead. He got indicted once. I got indicted four times.
    “Over bullshit, I got indicted.”
This discussion has been closed.