Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sunak’s Departure Schedule: Factoring in the Leadership Fight – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited February 4 in General
Sunak’s Departure Schedule: Factoring in the Leadership Fight – politicalbetting.com

“When the curtain falls, it’s time to get off the stage.” So said John Major the morning after the 1997 election, announcing his resignation as Tory leader. But he actually remained leader for another 6 weeks. This was typical of Tory leaders, who have universally remained in post while their leader is chosen.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,329
    First unlike Rishi
  • Options

Great header - thanks @Quincel

Agreed.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    Its a very good point. In fact it may even understate it. When the Tories get their collective hammering on 14th November they will have plenty of time to draw breath and, just maybe, have some discussion about what went wrong and what a centre right party actually wants these days. They will be well out of the limelight as Starmer appoints his cabinet and ministers and starts on his first round of disasters.

I think we will see a much longer contest than normal, probably closer to Hague's 97 days than what we have seen recently with the pressures of office. That will put Sunak's leadership well into 2025. Unless, of course, he just sods off back to California.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    Sorry to go off topic after such a header.
    But I can't get apprehensive about Storm Jocelyn.
    It's a bit like facing a Gladiator named Tristram.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    DavidL said:

Its a very good point. In fact it may even understate it. When the Tories get their collective hammering on 14th November they will have plenty of time to draw breath and, just maybe, have some discussion about what went wrong and what a centre right party actually wants these days. They will be well out of the limelight as Starmer appoints his cabinet and ministers and starts on his first round of disasters.

I think we will see a much longer contest than normal, probably closer to Hague's 97 days than what we have seen recently with the pressures of office. That will put Sunak's leadership well into 2025. Unless, of course, he just sods off back to California.

One thing I didn't mention which does potentially impact this is that Sunak is highly unlikely to lose his seat, which would probably be in the final few dozen seats they would hold in a total meltdown. So he will probably have to stick around for a few weeks or months before triggering a by-election anyway, if he doesn't do as Major and Brown did by serving as MP until the next election.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Hey, my wife's called Jocelyn and I can tell you she packs a mean punch.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    Quincel said:

DavidL said:

One thing I didn't mention which does potentially impact this is that Sunak is highly unlikely to lose his seat, which would probably be in the final few dozen seats they would hold in a total meltdown. So he will probably have to stick around for a few weeks or months before triggering a by-election anyway, if he doesn't do as Major and Brown did by serving as MP until the next election.
    He really won't have any excuses but I really can't see him hanging around Westminster once he has got the boot as PM. He will want to move on soonest. I agree about him probably keeping his seat though.

Another thing that just might keep him hanging on, although it seems unlikely right now, is if Starmer end up with a minority government where a second election in early course seems possible. We saw something like that in 1974 with Heath until Maggie challenged him.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,430
    dixiedean said:

I spent far too long determining that Storm Isha is pronounced Esher.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It was George Osborne who told us the election will be on 14th November, which is another reason to doubt it.
  • Options
    CleitophonCleitophon Posts: 222
    1) we are in a recession
    2) inflation has gone up
    3) in April new brexit checks will come in boosting inflation and jeopardizing 46% of farmers accelerating the recession
    4) 60.000 companies are in financial distress and many will cave accellerating a recession
    5) key policy areas like child care and nhs waiting lists are failing
    6) once spring comes boat will kick off big time
    7) house prices are in free fall and due to inflation, interest rates will stay up
    8) polls are widening, rather than narrowing
    9) the many arms of the Parliamentary group are at war with themselves
    10) Sunak's favourability is at Truss and Johnson level at their worst, while Starmers are not glowing but respectable

Here is my take away: things could very well suddenly unravel for the tories. MPs start taking jobs kicking off byelections, there may be defections left and right, there may be letters and leadership contests. It is not under any circumstances a given that Sunak can keep this show on the road till November. Events will take over. Slowly at first and then all of a sudden.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    Another factor about going long:

One of the reasons for the long contest in 1997 was that the chair of the 1922 committee (Marcus Fox maybe? I am stretching at distant memories here) lost his seat.

So there was no-one to run the election. So the first thing they had to do was elect a new 1922 chair, in disarray after the heavy defeat.

With Sir Graham Brady already exiting stage left, we know that there will be a new 1922 chair. If he's not replaced before the election that will also add time to any leadership contest after the election - and add to the sense of chaos if it's a heavy defeat.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    dixiedean said:

The Economist published a survey a few years ago showing that in the USA ,hurricanes with female names caused significantly more deaths than male named ones . Given that male and female names are used alternatively the only explanation offered was that people were less scared of female named ones and so took less precautions
  • Options
    AverageNinjaAverageNinja Posts: 1,169
    Leader satisfaction ratings
    @IpsosUK

Dec 23. Sunak.
    Sat 21%
    Dissat 69%
    Net: -48

Jul 22. Johnson.
    Sat 24%
    Dissat 69%
    Net: -45

Oct 22 Truss
    Sat 16%
    Dissat 67%
    Net: -51

Dec 19 Corbyn
    Sat 24%
    Dissat 68%
    Net: -44

Sunak is now more unpopular than Corbyn!
  • Options
    FP(x3)T

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

"to ensure that constitutional government can endure"

DeSantis.

Utterly bonkers. Black is white. 2+2=5.

America has gone mad. Sheer decadency.

Trump isn't a danger to democracy. Ridiculous to suggest he might be.
    Oh well, we shall have to agree to disagree.

We shall soon know.

If they elect him they wont be able to get him out again imho.

if he was elected again, depends if the army support him or not, in Jan 2021 when he was still President they didn't support attempts to overturn the election result
    He changes the constitution.

You need two thirds to approve a proposal to change the constitution in both the House and Senate and then that goes to the state legislatures who must approve that and you need three quarters to agree to it .

So it’s not going to happen thankfully !

It is little known but there are actually five ways to change the US constitution.

1: Two thirds of Congress and three quarters of state legislatures.
    2: Two thirds of Congress and three quarters of states conventions.
    3: Two thirds of state legislatures and three quarters of state legislatures.
    4: Two thirds of state legislatures and three quarters of state conventions.
    5: Five ninths of the US Supreme Court dictating that the US constitution is different to how it is written.

The first four are all impossible, but the last one has come rocketing up from nowhere to now be in prime position.
    Not sure about 5 . The SCOTUS as far as I’ve read can’t amend the US constitution.
    He is making a political point copied from the American crank right, that the Supreme Court can reinterpret the constitution and thus change its meaning.
    @DecrepiterJohnL I think you've not been paying attention to American politics in the last few years (or any of my posts on American politics either) if you think that point has come from the American crank right.

Who is it that has 6/9 of the SCOTUS Justices right now? Not the "liberals" in America.

The US Constitution says in black and white that office holders who attempt insurrection against the USA are disbarred from serving as President. No ifs, buts, or equivocation.
    Donald J Trump committed insurrection against the USA while holding its most senior office, the Presidency.

So the US Constitution says that Donald J Trump is disbarred from being President.

But if 5 of the 6 "conservative" Justices decide in a partisan line vote that no he's not, then bish bash bosh what is written in the Constitution is amended to whatever the Justices want it to say instead. De facto, if not de jure.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Given as is likely the Conservatives would be selecting a leader of the Opposition, rather than PM, for the first time since 2005 there is no need to rush. It took about six months for Cameron to replace Howard then
  • Options

dixiedean said:

The Economist published a survey a few years ago showing that in the USA ,hurricanes with female names caused significantly more deaths than male named ones . Given that male and female names are used alternatively the only explanation offered was that people were less scared of female named ones and so took less precautions
    Isn't Jocelyn a male and female name?
    Like Evelyn Waugh marrying a woman named Evelyn.
    Tracy was originally a male name (after Spencer Tracy). Wigan RL used to have a big, rough red haired second row named Tracy Grundy.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,013

@IpsosUK

Dec 23. Sunak.
    Sat 21%
    Dissat 69%

Jul 22. Johnson.
    Sat 24%
    Dissat 69%

Oct 22 Truss
    Sat 16%
    Dissat 67%

Dec 19 Corbyn
    Sat 24%
    Dissat 68%

T R U S S remains the gold standard.

Willing to risk unpopularity for her principles.

What a lady!
  • Options
    edited January 22

FP(x3)T

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

DeSantis.

We shall soon know.

if he was elected again, depends if the army support him or not, in Jan 2021 when he was still President they didn't support attempts to overturn the election result

You need two thirds to approve a proposal to change the constitution in both the House and Senate and then that goes to the state legislatures who must approve that and you need three quarters to agree to it .

It is little known but there are actually five ways to change the US constitution.

5: Five ninths of the US Supreme Court dictating that the US constitution is different to how it is written.

The first four are all impossible, but the last one has come rocketing up from nowhere to now be in prime position.
    Not sure about 5 . The SCOTUS as far as I’ve read can’t amend the US constitution.
    He is making a political point copied from the American crank right, that the Supreme Court can reinterpret the constitution and thus change its meaning.
    @DecrepiterJohnL I think you've not been paying attention to American politics in the last few years (or any of my posts on American politics either) if you think that point has come from the American crank right.

Who is it that has 6/9 of the SCOTUS Justices right now? Not the "liberals" in America.

The US Constitution says in black and white that office holders who attempt insurrection against the USA are disbarred from serving as President. No ifs, buts, or equivocation.
    Donald J Trump committed insurrection against the USA while holding its most senior office, the Presidency.

So the US Constitution says that Donald J Trump is disbarred from being President.

But if 5 of the 6 "conservative" Justices decide in a partisan line vote that no he's not, then bish bash bosh what is written in the Constitution is amended to whatever the Justices want it to say instead. De facto, if not de jure.
    Yes, I think I was broadly agreeing with the part about interpretation rather than literal rewriting but it is a right wing trope to complain about it.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,726
    edited January 22

FP(x3)T

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

DeSantis.

We shall soon know.

Yes, I think I was broadly agreeing with the part about interpretation rather than literal rewriting but it is a right wing trope to complain about it.
    Is it?

In 2024?

When the SCOTUS has a clear 6:3 partisan split and people like Justice Thomas who are unabashed today about doing whatever the hell they want with no consequences or recourse to the Constitution itself?

Maybe it was 20 years ago when SCOTUS was more restrained, but today its not. Its not a trope to cry wolf if there's a bloody wolf visible.
  • Options

FP(x3)T

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

DeSantis.

We shall soon know.

Only 4 of the Justices are actually in the confirmed pro Trump camp, Barrett, Kavanaugh and Gorsuch who Trump appointed to the Court and ultra conservative Thomas.

Kagan and Sotomayer who Obama appointed and Jackson who Biden appointed are likely to vote against Trump.

Roberts and Ailto who George W Bush appointed could go either way, they are conservative but not fanatically so, have no special loyalty to Trump and will put the constitution first
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    HYUFD said:

Given as is likely the Conservatives would be selecting a leader of the Opposition, rather than PM, for the first time since 2005 there is no need to rush. It took about six months for Cameron to replace Howard then

I probably should have discussed the chances of a gap between the election and the leadership election, but didn't to keep the article brief. For the record I didn't include because I decided that there isn't an obvious issue with the current system likely to lead to the party agreeing to try and change the rules. So I suspect the leadership election will begin within days of the general election, perhaps unless that is held in December and the party just decides to wait until Christmas/NY to pass.
  • Options
    AverageNinjaAverageNinja Posts: 1,169
    Shocking that Daily Mail fan @Andy_JS doesn't think a man who oversaw a plot on the Capitol doesn't think that Trump is a threat to democracy. If Hitler was coming to power he'd tell us how he's really a nice chap.
  • Options

@IpsosUK

Dec 23. Sunak.
    Sat 21%
    Dissat 69%

Jul 22. Johnson.
    Sat 24%
    Dissat 69%

Oct 22 Truss
    Sat 16%
    Dissat 67%

Dec 19 Corbyn
    Sat 24%
    Dissat 68%

Truss was less unpopular than Corbyn though, even if she had the worst satisified rating
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,264

dixiedean said:

They should name them after famous dictators. You'd take Hurricane Hitler seriously.
    Well, Hurricane Trump is only months away.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,688

1) we are in a recession
    2) inflation has gone up
    3) in April new brexit checks will come in boosting inflation and jeopardizing 46% of farmers accelerating the recession
    4) 60.000 companies are in financial distress and many will cave accellerating a recession
    7) house prices are in free fall and due to inflation, interest rates will stay up
    10) Sunak's favourability is at Truss and Johnson level at their worst, while Starmers are not glowing but respectable

Here is my take away: things could very well suddenly unravel for the tories. MPs start taking jobs kicking off byelections, there may be defections left and right, there may be letters and leadership contests. It is not under any circumstances a given that Sunak can keep this show on the road till November. Events will take over. Slowly at first and then all of a sudden.

Sorry Cleitophon, that's rubbish. House prices are not in freefall:

https://www.halifax.co.uk/media-centre/house-price-index.html

The other 9 points you make are all valid though.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,423
    Great Header. Thank you. 🙏

I’m adding this topic to the Election on May 2nd argument. Not just Sunak, but a whole load of them wont want to hanging around into 2025 when they have proper jobs to go to and proper money to make.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,264
    Many more councils to follow??

The level of exceptional financial support [bankrupt] Nottingham City Council has requested from the Government has been revealed to total £65m.

Any support would likely be in the form of loans and special permission to raise money from council assets and spend it on day-to-day operational costs, rather than a grant.

https://nottstv.com/nottingham-city-council-requests-65m-government-help-but-it-could-mean-15m-in-cuts/
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

Another factor about going long:

One of the reasons for the long contest in 1997 was that the chair of the 1922 committee (Marcus Fox maybe? I am stretching at distant memories here) lost his seat.

So there was no-one to run the election. So the first thing they had to do was elect a new 1922 chair, in disarray after the heavy defeat.

With Sir Graham Brady already exiting stage left, we know that there will be a new 1922 chair. If he's not replaced before the election that will also add time to any leadership contest after the election - and add to the sense of chaos if it's a heavy defeat.

Will there be enough Tory MPs left to fill the shadow cabinet and the 1992 Committee?
  • Options

I know its OT but a great and wonderful sport fact is this question - In what sport did the semi finalist in the 1938 world championships play the 2022 world champion in a professional match in 1992?

answer snooker - Fred Davis played 17 year old Ronnie O Sullivan in the 1992 grand prix and Ronnie won 5-1

Until you edited it in, I was going to guess Snooker, not because I knew the answer but due to the longevity of players in Snooker.

That's a great fact though. Like the US Civil War widow who was alive in the 21st century.
  • Options

1) we are in a recession
    2) inflation has gone up

Well, that is what I read: coverage of ONS numbers across various media outlets

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/bulletins/housepriceindex/november2023

https://www.forbes.com/uk/advisor/personal-finance/2024/01/17/house-prices-updates/#:~:text=Average UK house price £,since 2011, writes Jo Thornhill.

https://www.ft.com/content/d4e9537f-a486-4b8a-bead-e51a4bc68921
  • Options
    Great thread header @Quincel

I think the idea of Sunak being for more than 24 hours after the General Election is about as likely as a news broadcast that an alien civilisation has taken control of Planet Earth and they are appointing @Leon as their Governor General to rule on their behalf.

But you're quite right that him being Tory leader in 2025 is far, far more likely. Although I wouldn't rule out Sunak being the first ex-Leader to throw in the towel immediately in a strop and get the first flight out to California.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    HYUFD said:

@IpsosUK

Dec 23. Sunak.
    Sat 21%
    Dissat 69%

Jul 22. Johnson.
    Sat 24%
    Dissat 69%

Oct 22 Truss
    Sat 16%
    Dissat 67%

Dec 19 Corbyn
    Sat 24%
    Dissat 68%

Truss was less unpopular than Corbyn though, even if she had the worst satisified rating
    I believe that Truss is due to launch next month a new conservative pressure group called Popular Conservatism.
  • Options

1) we are in a recession
    2) inflation has gone up

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/bulletins/housepriceindex/november2023

https://www.forbes.com/uk/advisor/personal-finance/2024/01/17/house-prices-updates/#:~:text=Average UK house price £,since 2011, writes Jo Thornhill.

None of those links say "freefall".

A minor 2.1% correction in house prices after double-digit percentage rises in house prices is not even a proper correction, let alone freefall.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694

HYUFD said:

@IpsosUK

Dec 23. Sunak.
    Sat 21%
    Dissat 69%

Jul 22. Johnson.
    Sat 24%
    Dissat 69%

Oct 22 Truss
    Sat 16%
    Dissat 67%

Dec 19 Corbyn
    Sat 24%
    Dissat 68%

I believe that Truss is due to launch next month a new conservative pressure group called Popular Conservatism.
    Popular Conservatism would certainly be very different to what she did before!
  • Options
    FPT:
    algarkirk said:

isam said:

Re the Labour Majority price, 1.27 means any other outcome is about 7/2. If you backed a 7/2f in an eight runner horse race, you’d be quietly confident of it winning, maybe you’d even (wrongly) expect it to win. But this 7/2 shot (Labour not getting an overall majority) seems like it should be a million to one

And yet many on PB do not expect a labour majority (or so they say).
    70 out of 81 PB Competition entries predicted a Labour majority, 10 prediction for NOM, and 1 for a Tory majority.
    The entire activity of betting on real events, as opposed to mechanical/electronic contingencies, is predicated upon the possibility that you can predict outcomes which do not follow the formbook even in the simplest events like a 'two horse race'. All time proves this to be sometimes true.

So, at this moment I believe in and accept the objective probability of a Labour majority but actually predict that there will be No Overall Majority. people do this all the time, and essentially they do it every time they back anyone but the favourite. Betting can't exist without this interesting phenomenon.
    But... the prediction competition wasn't a bet; there was no advantage predicting an outsider.
  • Options

I know its OT but a great and wonderful sport fact is this question - In what sport did the semi finalist in the 1938 world championships play the 2022 world champion in a professional match in 1992?

answer snooker - Fred Davis played 17 year old Ronnie O Sullivan in the 1992 grand prix and Ronnie won 5-1

Until you edited it in, I was going to guess Snooker, not because I knew the answer but due to the longevity of players in Snooker.

That's a great fact though. Like the US Civil War widow who was alive in the 21st century.
    How does that work?
  • Options

FPT:

algarkirk said:

isam said:

Re the Labour Majority price, 1.27 means any other outcome is about 7/2. If you backed a 7/2f in an eight runner horse race, you’d be quietly confident of it winning, maybe you’d even (wrongly) expect it to win. But this 7/2 shot (Labour not getting an overall majority) seems like it should be a million to one

And yet many on PB do not expect a labour majority (or so they say).
    70 out of 81 PB Competition entries predicted a Labour majority, 10 prediction for NOM, and 1 for a Tory majority.
    The entire activity of betting on real events, as opposed to mechanical/electronic contingencies, is predicated upon the possibility that you can predict outcomes which do not follow the formbook even in the simplest events like a 'two horse race'. All time proves this to be sometimes true.

So, at this moment I believe in and accept the objective probability of a Labour majority but actually predict that there will be No Overall Majority. people do this all the time, and essentially they do it every time they back anyone but the favourite. Betting can't exist without this interesting phenomenon.
    But... the prediction competition wasn't a bet; there was no advantage predicting an outsider.
    Indeed. I will sometimes bet out outsiders even if I don't think they'll win, if I simply think there's "value" in doing so.

Indeed I once bet on Sunak to be the next PM at 250/1 (not sure if that bets ever been mentioned before ;)) but while the bet lost thanks to the Truss Interregnum which cost me thousands of pounds, I did extra many hundreds of pounds from having taken some of the profit already by partially laying it off, even if I unfortunately left most of it to ride until the end.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,699

How does that work?
    "People Magazine recently reported the last known surviving Civil War widow veteran died December 16, 2020 at 101 in Marshfield, Missouri. Helen Viola Jackson, at age 17, married 93-year-old widower James Bolin. He fought for the Union Army in Missouri during the Civil War which ended in 1865."

https://veteranshomecare.com/civil-war-widow-dies-2020
  • Options

dixiedean said:

They should name them after famous dictators. You'd take Hurricane Hitler seriously.
    Deep Depression Trump surely?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

One other potential fly in the ointment for this bet is if Rishi loses his own seat. As the leader has to be an MP, there would be a need for him to be replaced next day.

Overall though 2025 is more likely. It is a mistake to replace a leader, thereby setting a new course before digesting what caused the failure first.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Tracy was originally a male name (after Spencer Tracy). Wigan RL used to have a big, rough red haired second row named Tracy Grundy.
    Not to mention Shirley Crabtree.
  • Options
    edited January 22
    Andy_JS said:

How does that work?
    "People Magazine recently reported the last known surviving Civil War widow veteran died December 16, 2020 at 101 in Marshfield, Missouri. Helen Viola Jackson, at age 17, married 93-year-old widower James Bolin. He fought for the Union Army in Missouri during the Civil War which ended in 1865."

A 17 year old married a 93 year old?! Jeez.

Was James Bolin a multi-millionaire by any chance?
  • Options

Shocking that Daily Mail fan @Andy_JS doesn't think a man who oversaw a plot on the Capitol doesn't think that Trump is a threat to democracy. If Hitler was coming to power he'd tell us how he's really a nice chap.

I'm not a Daily Mail man, I nearly always vote for centre-left parties. I'm simply saying that I don't think Trump is going to end democracy if he wins this year.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

How does that work?

That pension paid out nicely!
  • Options

How does that work?
    She died in 2020!

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/last-surviving-widow-civil-war-veteran-dies-101-180976702/
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

John Wayne was actually Marion Morrison. You can see why he used a stage name.
  • Options

1) we are in a recession
    2) inflation has gone up

A minor 2.1% correction in house prices after double-digit percentage rises in house prices is not even a proper correction, let alone freefall.
    Try inflation adjusting those numbers my friend.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

How does that work?

That pension paid out nicely!
    Despite being the reason she got married, she was too embarrassed to claim it so no it didn't.
  • Options

1) we are in a recession
    2) inflation has gone up

Yes and its still not freefall.

Over any reasonable view of time, house prices are massively, massively overvalued relative to wages. House prices are higher today than they were at the start of 2020, let alone 2010 or 2000.

But not on a supply and demand level, because our supply has been artificially capped relative to our rising population demands.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Who was also a professional RL player. His nephew Eorl Crabtree played for Huddersfield and England.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

@IpsosUK

Dec 23. Sunak.
    Sat 21%
    Dissat 69%

Jul 22. Johnson.
    Sat 24%
    Dissat 69%

Oct 22 Truss
    Sat 16%
    Dissat 67%

Dec 19 Corbyn
    Sat 24%
    Dissat 68%

Party Oxymoronic. Pox for short.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,851
    Wow the Daily Hate has a devastating anti Starmer headline for tomorrow’s edition . Some drivel about him being on the side of woke !

As front pages go it surely must be one of the lamest.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,948
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Given the decline in the quality from Morrisons of late, I can entirely understand. Brand management at it's finest.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,948
    Andy_JS said:

How does that work?

His did a great turn in The Beiderbecke Affair in all fairness. As national treasures go - I'd vote him a pension.
  • Options
    It won’t be 14th November @Quincel. The King is touring the Pacific in October; an election would require that he abandon (or curtail) that tour just to grant a dissolution.

Moreover, the G20 meet in Brazil on 18th November. If the election is on the 14th, the new (or returning) PM would expect to visit the Palace on the morning of the 15th, appoint some of the Cabinet/Government on the 16th and fly to South America on the 17th. That’s just… folly (especially if Sunak managed to eke out a Hung Parliament and needed to negotiate with others).

When you look at the calendar and see what’s planned throughout the year (and what’s necessary to minimise inconvenience and cost), a May election is the sensible and practical solution.

So it will be December :D
  • Options
    edited January 22
    nico679 said:

Wow the Daily Hate has a devastating anti Starmer headline for tomorrow’s edition . Some drivel about him being on the side of woke !

Someone once told me that most of the people who work on the Daily Mail don't actually believe in any of it and don't hold those types of political opinions.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    Interesting article on the quashing of Post Office convictions in Scotland:

https://www.scottishlegal.com/articles/lord-uist-respect-separation-of-powers-in-quashing-horizon-convictions
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,161
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Like Trump descended from Lewismen, though further back (Morrison still quite a common surname on the island). I fear he’d be a fervent supporter of the orange one if still alive.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,842
    ohnotnow said:

Andy_JS said:

How does that work?

His did a great turn in The Beiderbecke Affair in all fairness. As national treasures go - I'd vote him a pension.
    Oh, what happened to him? Whatever happened to me? What became of... never mind.

For myself, I really liked him in Capricorn One :)
  • Options

Ah yes, something to do with Ronnie proving he could play left-handed?
  • Options

How does that work?
    She died in 2020!

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/last-surviving-widow-civil-war-veteran-dies-101-180976702/
    And John Tyler (10th US President 1841-1845) has a living grandson.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_Ruffin_Tyler
  • Options

Many more councils to follow??

The level of exceptional financial support [bankrupt] Nottingham City Council has requested from the Government has been revealed to total £65m.

Any support would likely be in the form of loans and special permission to raise money from council assets and spend it on day-to-day operational costs, rather than a grant.

https://nottstv.com/nottingham-city-council-requests-65m-government-help-but-it-could-mean-15m-in-cuts/

Another fire sale of public assets to Tory donors and foreign competitors. Great.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

This front page.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,653
    HYUFD said:

FP(x3)T

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

DeSantis.

We shall soon know.

Only 4 of the Justices are actually in the confirmed pro Trump camp, Barrett, Kavanaugh and Gorsuch who Trump appointed to the Court and ultra conservative Thomas.

Kagan and Sotomayer who Obama appointed and Jackson who Biden appointed are likely to vote against Trump.

Roberts and Ailto who George W Bush appointed could go either way, they are conservative but not fanatically so, have no special loyalty to Trump and will put the constitution first
    Alito is not extreme ?
    Good one, HYUFD.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229
    edited January 23
    That's five plays three SCOTUS judges to the orange one HYUFD. Looks like Biden will be Tangoed.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972

It won’t be 14th November @Quincel. The King is touring the Pacific in October; an election would require that he abandon (or curtail) that tour just to grant a dissolution.

Moreover, the G20 meet in Brazil on 18th November. If the election is on the 14th, the new (or returning) PM would expect to visit the Palace on the morning of the 15th, appoint some of the Cabinet/Government on the 16th and fly to South America on the 17th. That’s just… folly (especially if Sunak managed to eke out a Hung Parliament and needed to negotiate with others).

When you look at the calendar and see what’s planned throughout the year (and what’s necessary to minimise inconvenience and cost), a May election is the sensible and practical solution.

So it will be December :D

Parliament can be dissolved by the counsellors of state. It was dissolved by the Queen Mum and Margaret once in the 70s.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229

I’m adding this topic to the Election on May 2nd argument. Not just Sunak, but a whole load of them wont want to hanging around into 2025 when they have proper jobs to go to and proper money to make.

Sorry Rabbit but you are unusually wrong. The General Election will be exactly one year today. Thursday 23rd January 2025.

Rejoice, just one year to go.
  • Options
    O/T

Is John Foxx's Metamatic one of the most underrated albums of all time?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    John Woodcock, long time cricket correspondent of The Times, died in 2021.

His grandfather was born in 1813.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Woodcock_(cricket_writer)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

FP(x3)T

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

DeSantis.

We shall soon know.

Alito is not extreme ?
    Good one, HYUFD.
    Alito is err... very very conservative.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,842
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

FP(x3)T

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

DeSantis.

We shall soon know.

Alito is not extreme ?
    Good one, HYUFD.
    Alito is err... very very conservative.
    Battle Angel Alito.

I'll get my coat

• Options
    edited January 23
    Tom Scott inadvertently talking, in 2018, about the Post Office Horizon scandal.

"The Consequences of Your Code"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZM9YdO_QKk
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320
    edited January 23
    Good bets and good advice.

Thanks Q.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,044
    Quite an amazing, and worrying story, on the BBC:

"UK officials probe Iran generals' antisemitic talks to students"

"The regulator is also looking at footage of "death to Israel" chants at an Islamic charity's UK premises.

Verified by the BBC, two of the videos show talks by members of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps. One described an apocalyptic war on Jews.

The group that promoted the online talks said it respects all communities."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68016330
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296
    One reason that Tory leaders remain in office as caretaker after resigning is, of course, that they have no official deputy. They may nominate one, but the position doesn’t exist in the rule book. So unlike Labour or the Lib Dems or indeed the SNP there is in fact nobody to take over.

That said, there have been occasions when even though officially remaining leader they have handed over the actual job to somebody else. Heath began his sulk by asking Robert Carr to chair the shadow cabinet and lead for the party in the Commons. Eden was on sick leave, so Butler was in charge - Bonar Law was also ill so Curzon was running the government and the party.
  • Options
    Is Trump just Michelle Mone writ larger ?

Donald Trump on his presidency: I was getting calls from people you would not suspect. Everybody got a piece of that action and it was a beautiful thing to see
    https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1749629154784403802
  • Options

dixiedean said:

It's a It would be noisybit like facing a Gladiator named Tristram.

It would be noisy and flashy, but incoherent and ultimately ineffectual.

I'd be more fraid of Hurricane Vennells - looks innocuous, but wreaks devastation.
  • Options
    More than 1,000 child refugees at risk after being classified as adults – report
    Rushed and flawed age assessments leave hundreds of children exposed to abuse and exploitation
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/jan/22/flawed-age-assessments-put-hundreds-of-uk-child-refugees-at-risk-report-finds-home-office
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

More than 1,000 child refugees at risk after being classified as adults – report
    Rushed and flawed age assessments leave hundreds of children exposed to abuse and exploitation
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/jan/22/flawed-age-assessments-put-hundreds-of-uk-child-refugees-at-risk-report-finds-home-office

How do you verify the age of someone, either way: an adult pretending to be a child, or a child pretending to be an adult, and how do you do it in a timely manner give the numbers coming over?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,403
    Excellent piece @Quincel

Nice to see an article on the betting again.
  • Options
    RIP Norman Jewison.

A staggering array of different films - In the Heat of the Night; Fiddler on the Roof; Jesus Christ Superstar ... Moonstruck (!)

One of my strongest cinematic memories is Toccata and Fugue on D minor being played at ear splitting volume as James Caan appeared on screen in Rollerball.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,403
    Andy_JS said:

nico679 said:

Someone once told me that most of the people who work on the Daily Mail don't actually believe in any of it and don't hold those types of political opinions.
    Or so they say.

Probably makes their lives much easier down the pub.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,233

Sorry Rabbit but you are unusually wrong. The General Election will be exactly one year today. Thursday 23rd January 2025.

Rejoice, just one year to go.
    I think if they hang it out that long, then they may struggle to get above double figures in House of Commons.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,233
    Andy_JS said:

nico679 said:

No shit. The army of the fake.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Andy_JS said:

nico679 said:

And there will be Tory voters at the Guardian. Maybe not this GE, though...

I once worked at a trade union organisation. There were a few of what I would call Tory-leaning voters in the place - and that was amongst those I interacted with.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    "When you've bowed, You leave the crowd."
    - Buffy Summers
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,149
    For those precluding a November election because the King is touring the Pacific, here’s the February 1974 London Gazette that announces The Queen Mother and Princess Margaret deigned to take a break from their drinking schedule to call an election at Edward Heath’s request. The late Queen was in New Zealand for the Commonwealth Games -

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/46205/
  • Options

1) we are in a recession
    2) inflation has gone up

Yes and its still not freefall.

Over any reasonable view of time, house prices are massively, massively overvalued relative to wages. House prices are higher today than they were at the start of 2020, let alone 2010 or 2000.

But not on a supply and demand level, because our supply has been artificially capped relative to our rising population demands.
    Look, through 2022 and 2023 we had double digit inflation. Even at stagnant house prices that means that your house lost 10% in value in real terms.. money is like a treadmill that goes ever faster or an elastic measuring tape that just keeps getting longer and longer. It is not an objective unit against which to assess value. And at 2.1% decline in housing and money still inflating at 4% ... that is still a 6% drop per annum. In the real world that is substantial. And it matters not that houses are subjectively over priced, because people are objectively tied into mortgages with those numbers on them. What it means is that people are unable to sell without losses to cover commitments and are for all intents and purposes mortgage serfs... unable.to move. Divorce coming though... you stay together or take the hit.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,201
    Cicero said:

Andy_JS said:

nico679 said:

There will be people who work on channel 4 news and Sky news who don’t hold the political biases they do. I cannot see how this can be a surprise.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,466

nico679 said:

This front page.
    Presumably the balloon contains helium. Very Innovative weightloss approach.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

HYUFD said:

@IpsosUK

Dec 23. Sunak.
    Sat 21%
    Dissat 69%

Jul 22. Johnson.
    Sat 24%
    Dissat 69%

Oct 22 Truss
    Sat 16%
    Dissat 67%

Dec 19 Corbyn
    Sat 24%
    Dissat 68%

Her course at Unpopular Conservatism is run?
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203

Cicero said:

Andy_JS said:

nico679 said:

And there will be Tory voters at the Guardian. Maybe not this GE, though...

I once worked at a trade union organisation. There were a few of what I would call Tory-leaning voters in the place - and that was amongst those I interacted with.
    I know an Aslef shop steward who is about as Essex Tory as it is possible to be.
This discussion has been closed.