Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Going postal – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited January 14 in General
Going postal – politicalbetting.com

The letter is one of five Bates sent to Davey between 2010 and 2012 as he and the JFSA repeatedly sought to get the coalition government to intervene over the Horizon scandal Bates has allowed me this week to review all of his ministerial correspondence dating back to 20102/

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    First?
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 595
    We have to stamp this out
  • Options
    Oh FFS.

The partner of disgraced ex-Tory MP Peter Bone has been chosen as the Conservative candidate to replace him in the Wellingborough by-election.

Helen Harrison, who is a Conservative councillor in Wellingborough's North Northamptonshire area, was selected by members of the party on Sunday afternoon, according to party chair Richard Holden.

An election is being held after Mr Bone was found by parliament to have subjected a staff member to bullying and sexual misconduct. He has denied the allegations.

https://news.sky.com/story/disgraced-ex-tory-mp-peter-bones-partner-chosen-to-run-as-his-replacement-13043617
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465
    Could be a bit of a vote depresser for the Lib Dems in the blue wall. Being a bit shit when a Minister is one thing. Trousering large amounts of cash from the bloodsucking lawyers is another.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689

Oh FFS.

The partner of disgraced ex-Tory MP Peter Bone has been chosen as the Conservative candidate to replace him in the Wellingborough by-election.

Helen Harrison, who is a Conservative councillor in Wellingborough's North Northamptonshire area, was selected by members of the party on Sunday afternoon, according to party chair Richard Holden.

An election is being held after Mr Bone was found by parliament to have subjected a staff member to bullying and sexual misconduct. He has denied the allegations.

https://news.sky.com/story/disgraced-ex-tory-mp-peter-bones-partner-chosen-to-run-as-his-replacement-13043617

How does she feel about the previous MP exposing himself to staff?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    Penddu2 said:

Frankly, I disagree.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,220

Oh FFS.

That's rather clever because Bone won't now stand as an Independent. Con hold!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Penddu2 said:

Frankly, I disagree.
    We do need to address it.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Penddu2 said:

Frankly, I disagree.
    Letters not go down this route.
  • Options

Oh FFS.

She's holding Bone?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    edited January 7
    That the Tories, in their desperate spot, are trying to weaponise this story against the LibDems, despite their shared culpability and their sole accountability for proceeding, in majority government, to shower such honour and preferment onto Vennells after all the key facts were in the public domain, is shameful.

That this header plays along with this disgraceful political smear campaign is equally shameful.

I won’t be contributing further to this thread.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

That the Tories, in their desperate spot, are trying to weaponise this story against the LibDems, despite their shared culpability and their sole accountability for proceeding, in majority government, to shower such honour and preferment onto Vennells after all the key facts were in the public domain, is shameful.

That this header plays along with this disgraceful political smear campaign is equally shameful.

Did you miss this bit?

Whilst Davey should have displayed a bit more curiosity when dealing with this issue I do have a smidgen of sympathy with him, the real ire should be aimed at those at the Post Office and their confederates who knew the Horizon system was producing hugely incorrect figures but kept quiet and continued on with the prosecutions.
  • Options
    On topic, there is an obvious agenda by the Tory press to try to pin the blame on the LDs in general and Ed Davey in particular.

It may well do Davey significant damage and if it rumbles on then him standing down in favour of Daisy Cooper might be necessary.

Much as I like Davey, he clearly was one of many who contributed to this becoming such an intractable nightmare for the Sub-posties.

Daisy would be good, and likely to be a distinctive fresh face for the GE. It would also increase the pressure on the Tory ministers to resign for their actions and inactions.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Penddu2 said:

Frankly, I disagree.
    This scandal is now enveloping everything.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Penddu2 said:

Frankly, I disagree.
    Well, we're in a flap about it.

Rightly so, given what's happened.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Oh FFS.

She's holding Bone?
    She's ensuring that once again the proud yeomanry of Wellingborough can furnish Parliament with a Bone. Though it seems likely that this Bone may be elected with a slightly reduced majority.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Oh FFS.

She's holding Bone?
    She's ensuring that once again the proud yeomanry of Wellingborough can furnish Parliament with a Bone. Though it seems likely that this Bone may be elected with a slightly reduced majority.
    I don't think she'd be a good replacement Bone. More likely she'd be a flop.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    edited January 7
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Oh FFS.

She's holding Bone?
    I don't think she'd be a good replacement Bone. More likely she'd be a flop.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    First Class thread
  • Options
    edited January 7

First Class thread

That's Royal Mail. Different lot.

Edit: only joking. But they won't be happy with the splash-over.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Did you miss this bit?

Whilst Davey should have displayed a bit more curiosity when dealing with this issue I do have a smidgen of sympathy with him, the real ire should be aimed at those at the Post Office and their confederates who knew the Horizon system was producing hugely incorrect figures but kept quiet and continued on with the prosecutions.
    I think this is, ultimately, like Jeremy Corbyn and the Islington child sex abuse scandal.

He was with hindsight very foolish to accept what he was being told by the people complained about rather than by the whistleblower. And with hindsight, I'm sure he feels an idiot.

But unless more comes out than there has so far about his actions, it's going to be difficult to argue he bears particular blame.

I also think no party's going to be keen to press this too far. Too many of their senior members have unclean hands, including a former leader of the Labour Party and a wannabe leader of the Tories.

So rightly or wrongly I don't see it being more than embarrassing for Davey.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

First Class thread

That's Royal Mail. Different lot.

Edit: only joking. But they won't be happy with the splash-over.
    Not at the time. They only actually separated in 2012.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,772
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Penddu2 said:

Frankly, I disagree.
    We should parcel the blame fairly IMHO
  • Options
    Incidentally Royal Mail must be hugely relieved it was floated as a private company before the shit hit the fan. Can you imagine what the effect would have been otherwise?
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Did you miss this bit?

I think this is, ultimately, like Jeremy Corbyn and the Islington child sex abuse scandal.

He was with hindsight very foolish to accept what he was being told by the people complained about rather than by the whistleblower. And with hindsight, I'm sure he feels an idiot.

But unless more comes out than there has so far about his actions, it's going to be difficult to argue he bears particular blame.

I also think no party's going to be keen to press this too far. Too many of their senior members have unclean hands, including a former leader of the Labour Party and a wannabe leader of the Tories.

It depends how he handles it.

He should do what Vennells and colleagues signally failed to do once they knew they had a scandal on their hands. He should front up, tell the whole tuth, and name names where necessasry. His role is in the scandal is quite a small one, so this could work. It could even play to his advantage, but whether it does or not, it's the only way forward from here.

Same applies to Cable and Swinson.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Has Ed Davey resigned yet?
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,590
    Foxy said:

On topic, there is an obvious agenda by the Tory press to try to pin the blame on the LDs in general and Ed Davey in particular.

It may well do Davey significant damage and if it rumbles on then him standing down in favour of Daisy Cooper might be necessary.

Much as I like Davey, he clearly was one of many who contributed to this becoming such an intractable nightmare for the Sub-posties.

Daisy would be good, and likely to be a distinctive fresh face for the GE. It would also increase the pressure on the Tory ministers to resign for their actions and inactions.

Seems as though Ed Davey needs to consider his position?

Seeing as how he's already got both feet firmly on the plank . . .
  • Options
    edited January 7

Foxy said:

Seems as though Ed Davey needs to consider his position?

Seeing as how he's already got both feet firmly on the plank . . .
    Has he? Well, if he's trampling on Michael Fabricant in that way he gets my vote.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822

Oh FFS.

If they want to keep it in the family they should have asked the legendary former Mrs-Bone to stand!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Oh FFS.

If they want to keep it in the family they should have asked the legendary former Mrs-Bone to stand!
    Will they tell us they found it very hard?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543
    Ed Davey may benefit from all this, as
    a) it doesn't look to me as if he's spectacularly culpable, and more importantly
    b) many more people will have heard of him as this unfolds - he could do with some name recognition.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,726

a) it doesn't look to me as if he's spectacularly culpable, and more importantly
    b) many more people will have heard of him as this unfolds - he could do with some name recognition.

That's a very optimistic take.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

That's a very optimistic take.
    And not an entirely serious one.
  • Options

Remind me again who was DPP that stood by and allowed these poor people to be prosecuted? Not Ed!

If any Party Leader needs to consider their position it is not Ed Davey.

I see implicating Starmer as a massive opportunity for Rishi. Even if it is a false narrative it will gain massive traction.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983

All people will hear is Post Office Scandal & Ed Davey was part of it...
  • Options

Remind me again who was DPP that stood by and allowed these poor people to be prosecuted? Not Ed!

I see implicating Starmer as a massive opportunity for Rishi. Even if it is a false narrative it will gain massive traction.
    Eh? These were PRIVATE prosecutions. Nothing to do with the DPP.

Do keep up lad.
  • Options

Oh FFS.

Did you see the other 2 candidates they were worse.

And with Helen as the Tory candidate, Peter won't stand which means that the Tory vote won't be split.

Ideally this means the Tories come a close second kicking off the momentum that results in a May election..
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,726

Oh FFS.

I know the constituency well. I was born there. Shit-hole that I escaped a long time ago.

It was Tory-central when I lived there - with many Peter Fry wins for the Tories. I'm surprised it went Lab in 1997 (and then again in 2001).

I haven't got a read on it now but wouldn't be surprised if the electorate sympathised with Bone and disagreed with his removal. He was quite highly regarded I think.

I'm not betting.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,250
    Foxy said:

I do have to giggle at the concept that the Tory media are going after Davey. Its All His Fault.

They want to be careful what you wish for. Lets say that Davey decides to step down. And challenges the Tories to find their own honour and spines. Which they don't have. Won't look good for them...
  • Options
    And as for the Tories, it beggars belief that the local Association should choose Bone's other half to be their Wellingborough candidate, and that CCHQ would allow it to go through. They've gone bonkers. It's a bit like Islington North Labour choosing Corbyn's partner to fight the seat - except that wouldn't be allowed to happen.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Oh FFS.

Oh I thought it was her. Are you saying it's just his side piece? How very un-classy.
  • Options
    AverageNinjaAverageNinja Posts: 1,169
    Good afternoon PB :)

And as for the Tories, it beggars belief that the local Association should choose Bone's other half to be their Wellingborough candidate, and that CCHQ would allow it to go through. They've gone bonkers. It's a bit like Islington North Labour choosing Corbyn's partner to fight the seat - except that wouldn't be allowed to happen.

The Tory Party has lost all sense of purpose, common sense and normality. They have been in government far too long and now need to lose and lose big, so they can re-build properly as Labour has done. They need to start to think about how to appeal to younger people.

See you all soon :)
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,986
    edited January 7

Bone's local association consists of people who thought Bone was a good candidate...
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

Good afternoon PB :)

The Tory Party has lost all sense of purpose, common sense and normality. They have been in government far too long and now need to lose and lose big, so they can re-build properly as Labour has done. They need to start to think about how to appeal to younger people.

See you all soon :)
    If the party is so blatantly tone deaf to the public, first port of call if to wipe out the Redwoods, Rees-Mogg type characters in the party. Absolute nutters who seem to be stuck in the 80s (1880s in the case of Rees- Mogg).

All because Bone threatens to run as independent if his partner wasn’t chosen? And somehow they still let it happen?

At the current rate, they’re looking at a good decade or so out of power. Good riddance
  • Options

Oh FFS.

I seem to recall that Peter Bone used to raise Mrs Bone in his questions to David Cameron at PMQs. To Cameron's entertainment.
  • Options

Foxy said:

I do have to giggle at the concept that the Tory media are going after Davey. Its All His Fault.

They want to be careful what you wish for. Lets say that Davey decides to step down. And challenges the Tories to find their own honour and spines. Which they don't have. Won't look good for them...
    He won't stand down. His role was marginal, and his failing was no different to most of his predecessors amd successors in that he was insufficiently curious. If you want an exception to the rule it would be Norman Lamb, but he was in the role too briefly to make a difference.

The real problem is the unsatisfactory relationship between Government and the businesses it owns and runs. Davey's attitude illustrates the problem, but it was by no means untypical.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,409
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Did you miss this bit?

Islington was more about then-council leader turned New Labour MP Dame Margaret Hodge, but she hated Corbyn so that's all right then.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,422
    On topic. 😇
    The way Sunday Times has hilariously skewed this to focus in Lib Dem’s, does suggest this election just wants to get dirty, doesn’t it? You suspect those strategists surrounding Sunak, whose Shareprice and next gig depends on credible results, won’t hesitate to go Dirty if the polls don’t tighten.

But Everyone’s got plenty of silage to throw. 😧

Davey helped screw the stitched up Post Office Managers in the biggest cruelest scandal of all time?

As head of the CPS and director of Public Prosecutions, Starmer started with an open file of Saville, ended with the Saville file closed down, and didn’t get it reopened?

And Rishi Sunak - who ran the Treasury at the time of covid - profited from a surge in the share price of the Moderna vaccine through a blind trust, so one of his own MPs has publicly claimed. 😯 (if true, any MP knowing this before installing Sunak as leader, should never have installed him - it will be many more than just Sunak in deep trouble).

But from political-betting point of view, Does successfully predicting a very dirty election help us get ahead of the game? Does a very dirty election level a playing field, suppress overall vote, so a great option for those coming from behind? Or will “gutter politics” not really benefit anyone or reshape a result? Could any of these dirty attacks really breakthrough and turn the election, or even spectacularly backfire and lose votes?

For example, the Sunday Times story today, smearing Lib Dem’s on behalf of Tories? It’s already encouraging the response: where were the senior partners in the coalition? If PO scandal hurts Lib Dem’s, it will certainly hurt Tories too, perhaps more so as the senior government partner - questions for Osborne, questions for Cameron current Foreign Secretary. As the Coalition souvenir Mug showed us, both parties were cheeks of the same governmental arse.

Especially as Sunak today showed as much understanding of this scandal, (everyone in the country is now expert on, not just Cyclefree) to tell us that it was all over in the 1990s? 😧
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816

Ah, yes, the Director of Private Prosecutions. He/she should definitely be held accountable.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Did you miss this bit?

Islington was more about then-council leader turned New Labour MP Dame Margaret Hodge, but she hated Corbyn so that's all right then.
    Corbyn was also contacted by Dr Davis, but in his own words, 'made enquiries and was reassured.'

I agree Hodge is more culpable, to the extent a case could be made she should be doing prison time. Almost more disgusting were her later attempts to smear the victims to try and silence them.
  • Options
    PoulterPoulter Posts: 62
    edited January 7
    Bit of a legal system fail. How many of the subpostmasters had legal representatives who tried to undermine the prosecution evidence, sought to put it to proper proof, attempted to find material that might exonerate their client, or kicked up a fuss when it wasn't disclosed to them?

Bit of a procurement fail too. Could there be similar problems with other contracts, e.g. in defence? That's what the leader of a proper opposition would ask the prime minister.

Leaders of all the major parties probably want this affair to go away, or at least to stay in its box labelled "Look what happened to the poor subpostmasters - mustn't let that happen again".

Similarly with the undercover policing inquiry. Make it mostly about cops shagging those they were spying on and using dead children's identities - yawn.

• Options
    Off thread and personal, but....

We had a bit of a run-in with British Gas. Mrs PtP wants to switch to Octopus. I know nothing about them but have heard them mentioned here. Can anyone say....yea or nay?
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,653

GIN1138 said:

Oh FFS.

Oh I thought it was her. Are you saying it's just his side piece? How very un-classy.
    He separated from his wife in 2016. Harrison is described as his live-in girlfriend.
  • Options

We had a bit of a run-in with British Gas. Mrs PtP wants to switch to Octopus. I know nothing about them but have heard them mentioned here. Can anyone say....yea or nay?

I am with them. No problems at all and easy to deal with.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,356
    On Topic, I suppose the issue for Davey is that his defence, and it's a perfectly reasonable one, means admitting that he, and ministers in general often aren't as skilled or expert in areas that fall under their department as we'd like. So they rely on civil servants, quangos, and firms contracted by the state to do the right thing and in this case they didn't egregiously.

But admitting that is not exactly a good look for a party leader - where to some extent your authority and appeal flows from the necessary fiction it's you who really knows what they're doing, that you're brave and a doer. Rather than relying the good advice, expertise, and intentions of others to make good decisions and right wrongs.
  • Options

Implicate both...

Is this the first black swan ahead of the election - where Rishi gets to expedite justice for the poor Post Office folk shafted by Davey and Starmer?

(Probably not. But people are talking about it - and only Rishi has the opportunity to come out of it smelling of roses.)
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,960

Will it save you a few squid?
  • Options

On topic. 😇
    The way Sunday Times has hilariously skewed this to focus in Lib Dem’s, does suggest this election just wants to get dirty, doesn’t it? You suspect those strategists surrounding Sunak, whose Shareprice and next gig depends on credible results, won’t hesitate to go Dirty if the polls don’t tighten.

Davey helped screw the stitched up Post Office Managers in the biggest cruelest scandal of all time?

As head of the CPS and director of Public Prosecutions, Starmer started with an open file of Saville, ended with the Saville file closed down, and didn’t get it reopened?

And Rishi Sunak - who ran the Treasury at the time of covid - profited from a surge in the share price of the Moderna vaccine through a blind trust, so one of his own MPs has publicly claimed. 😯 (if true, any MP knowing this before installing Sunak as leader, should never have installed him - it will be many more than just Sunak in deep trouble).

But from political-betting point of view, Does successfully predicting a very dirty election help us get ahead of the game? Does a very dirty election level a playing field, suppress overall vote, so a great option for those coming from behind? Or will “gutter politics” not really benefit anyone or reshape a result? Could any of these dirty attacks really breakthrough and turn the election, or even spectacularly backfire and lose votes?

For example, the Sunday Times story today, smearing Lib Dem’s on behalf of Tories? It’s already encouraging the response: where were the senior partners in the coalition? If PO scandal hurts Lib Dem’s, it will certainly hurt Tories too, perhaps more so as the senior government partner - questions for Osborne, questions for Cameron current Foreign Secretary. As the Coalition souvenir Mug showed us, both parties were cheeks of the same governmental arse.

Especially as Sunak today showed as much understanding of this scandal, (everyone in the country is now expert on, not just Cyclefree) to tell us that it was all over in the 1990s? 😧

The election is 2nd May. The avalanche of shit being thrown around is a clear sign that they want to smear as many people as possible before bringing a Big Tax Giveaway to the table to make only the Tories look good.

It is going to be the nastiest campaign ever. The Tories are about to be cut off from their access to public money. Lining Tory pockets is the last remaining purpose in being the government and they will keep fighting to the last to keep their noses in the trough.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    They'll be sounding the last post on Davey's leadership before the week is out.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Foxy said:

Oh FFS.

How does she feel about the previous MP exposing himself to staff?
    Perhaps indecent exposure to staff is Normal for Wellingborough.
  • Options
    edited January 7
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Did you miss this bit?

Corbyn was also contacted by Dr Davis, but in his own words, 'made enquiries and was reassured.'

I agree Hodge is more culpable, to the extent a case could be made she should be doing prison time. Almost more disgusting were her later attempts to smear the victims to try and silence them.
    She's about a million times more culpable. But instead of getting prosecuted or jailed she went on to be Blair's minister for ......... children.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079

Daisy Cooper as leader would probably be bad news for the Conservatives in the Blue Wall.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Ah, yes, the Director of Private Prosecutions. He/she should definitely be held accountable.
    Glib comment aside, there are limited CPS powers in this direction.

https://private-prosecutions.com/referral-to-the-director-of-public-prosecutions/#:~:text=The DPP has the power,exercised by a Crown Prosecutor.

Without reading the underlying acts, it looks to me like 6.1.2 is key, as it defines the scope of what private prosecutions the CPS needs to be informed of and can intervene in (including to put a stop to). I don't know where post office fraud cases sit in that system, depending on how broad that scope is I could imagine them being within or without.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,409
    edited January 7
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Did you miss this bit?

There are parallels between Hodge in Islington and the current Post Office Horizon IT scandal (along with pretty much every recent scandal, as Cyclefree constantly reminds us). Whistleblowers ignored; official reassurances; complete absence of professional curiosity, empathy or even common sense.
  • Options
    Scousers in Papish Purple this afternoon.

11 left footers on the park?
  • Options

Watch out - you'll get flagged for expressing a sentiment like that... :)
  • Options

We have Octopus. They are OK. British Gas are a nightmare. I should go with the Mrs.
  • Options

We are with them. No problems.
  • Options

We have Octopus. They are OK. British Gas are a nightmare. I should go with the Mrs.
    Octopus are great but I've never had to deal with their customer service....
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,442
    Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

https://private-prosecutions.com/referral-to-the-director-of-public-prosecutions/#:~:text=The DPP has the power,exercised by a Crown Prosecutor.

Without reading the underlying acts, it looks to me like 6.1.2 is key, as it defines the scope of what private prosecutions the CPS needs to be informed of and can intervene in (including to put a stop to). I don't know where post office fraud cases sit in that system, depending on how broad that scope is I could imagine them being within or without.
    We were discussing this in the last thread. As I understand it, the mechanism is that someone can ask the DPP to take over a private case. I don’t think the DPP goes round looking for cases to take over.

There was a case little while ago. A woman had accused a man of rape. He hired private investigators, who came up with evidence that she had forged evidence against him. He started a private prosecution. Her parents (I think) appealed to the DPP, who took over the prosecution. But then continued it, on the grounds that there was a case. The woman committed suicide.
  • Options

I would like to counter that.
  • Options

Implicate both...

Is this the first black swan ahead of the election - where Rishi gets to expedite justice for the poor Post Office folk shafted by Davey and Starmer?

(Probably not. But people are talking about it - and only Rishi has the opportunity to come out of it smelling of roses.)
    Why on earth do you keep on saying Starmer is responsible for this. The Post Office brought their own prosecutions...

It's getting to the point where I will treat your posts as as stupid as a HYUFD one...
  • Options

Daisy Cooper as leader would probably be bad news for the Conservatives in the Blue Wall.
    I said at the time the LibDems had missed a trick in not going for her. I suppose having a previous untested leader detonating so spectacularly at an election made the "safe pair of hands" - aka Deathly Dull Davey - a cert. But yes, Daisy looks more likely to be an electoral asset - and perhaps a big one at that.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,942

We’re with them, as are various friends. No problems at all: Would happily recommend.

If you’re of an even slightly techy bent Octopus are the obvious choice as you get to have endless fun with their spot-price energy tariffs. Even more so if you have access to solar panels / batteries etc. Take being “thermostat Dad” as far as your heart desires! They have most of their customers on plain old standard tariffs that they run perfectly competently though - their standard tariffs are very competitive.

They also broke the cosy energy provider cartel that was taking government heat pump subsidies & just adding them to the installation bill. If your property is suitable, you can get a heat pump installation for £500 by going through them IIRC. Obviously YMMV depending on need, property type & insulation etc etc.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Bone's local association consists of people who thought Bone was a good candidate...
    I believe there was bullying and intimidation allegations investigated within the local association. They didn't just tolerate Bone, I think they were full on Boners.

I had wondered for a second - not far from Oxfordshire, safeish seat - whether it could be a Cameron move to stand there, but a bit of Googling on the local situation told me it was a QTWTAIN.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,482

On topic. 😇

The election is 2nd May. The avalanche of shit being thrown around is a clear sign that they want to smear as many people as possible before bringing a Big Tax Giveaway to the table to make only the Tories look good.

It is going to be the nastiest campaign ever. The Tories are about to be cut off from their access to public money. Lining Tory pockets is the last remaining purpose in being the government and they will keep fighting to the last to keep their noses in the trough.
    And then we come back to comparisons with 1997. In that election, Major decided there was a line he wasn't prepared to cross- the Faust PPB that never was.

Major lost big, of course, but kept some personal dignity.

Sunak's harder to read. He's still got the rabid bits of the press on side, but they're way less useful than they were A Very Long Time Ago. And he personally sounds rubbish when he tries to be attack dog-y. Can he really leave all that to the hired helps?

Besides, suppose Rishi does pull it off and win. Then he's got to deal with all the nonsense he's creating for the next government.
  • Options
    edited January 7
    Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

Defence lawyers should have told the CPS. See 6.3.2-4.

"When the CPS receives a request to intervene in a private prosecution, it will contact the prosecutor, the defence and the police to ask for information to be supplied, usually within 14 days."

"There is no obligation on the private prosecutor to provide anything to the CPS. That being said, failure to provide adequate information may result in the CPS concluding that the case should be taken over and stopped."

Instead AIUI some solicitors were advising clients to plead guilty to false accounting. I'm interested in whether a single solicitor tried to represent their client properly.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    edited January 7
    Leon said:

Thing is, it wasn’t just penny pinching. Part of the problem with HS2 was the opposite, gold plating a project, going for maximum high spec everything - 600kph trains with diamond tipped ticket collectors

if you’ve ever watched an LNER Azuma train race through Luton without stopping you will notice they go REALLY fast, certainly fast enough for a country as small and compact as the UK. 125mph. We don’t actually NEED more than that, do we?

https://www.railway-technology.com/projects/virgin-trains-azuma-trains/

It occurs to me we should just have built more of those and relabelled them “high speed”. Job done for a third the price

(for @Dumbosaurus)

LNER Azumas don't pass through Luton, they pass through Stevenage.
  • Options
    The best energy supplier we had was the one who didn't send us any bills for the two years we were living in the house and then had to write off what we had used.

B)
  • Options

Leon said:

Thing is, it wasn’t just penny pinching. Part of the problem with HS2 was the opposite, gold plating a project, going for maximum high spec everything - 600kph trains with diamond tipped ticket collectors

if you’ve ever watched an LNER Azuma train race through Luton without stopping you will notice they go REALLY fast, certainly fast enough for a country as small and compact as the UK. 125mph. We don’t actually NEED more than that, do we?

https://www.railway-technology.com/projects/virgin-trains-azuma-trains/

It occurs to me we should just have built more of those and relabelled them “high speed”. Job done for a third the price

(for @Dumbosaurus)

LNER Azumas don't pass through Luton, they pass through Stevenage.
    Do you think Leon was watching a Pacer? He didn't say when he watched it ...
  • Options
    edited January 7

Implicate both...

Not only Rishi. Kemi broke the case open!

Alex Chalk or Clever Jimmy could nudge plod to interview the LOTO under caution. That would be electoral gold dust!
  • Options
    eek said:

Implicate both...

Why on earth do you keep on saying Starmer is responsible for this. The Post Office brought their own prosecutions...

It's getting to the point where I will treat your posts as as stupid as a HYUFD one...
    Hey, look on the bright side - it's not people linking Starmer to Savile.

It may be unfair for people to think the then DPP might have had some interest in wrongful prosecutions of the Post Office staff. But politics isn't fair. And it is not as if Starmer has a great body of work that the voters can point to that gives them comfort in his judgment.

People are going to ask "How could this have happened?" Starmer looking at his shoes saying "Nothing to do with me" might be factually correct - but not exactly reassuring.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003

Isn’t Cooper Paula Vennells MP?
  • Options
    Poulter said:

SandraMc said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Sunak on the Post Office scandal: "Obviously it's something that happened a very long time ago in the 90s"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-67890460

Or as my Gen Z workmates say, "The late 1900's".
    Have you noticed that too?? It drives me mad

The “1800s” can now mean any time in the 19th century. So how do you specify the decade 1800-1810? You can’t. It’s a loss of meaning and precision

I hate the young, not just coz I’m obviously a bitter old git, but also because the young really are dim, and getting dimmer
    I've read quite a lot of literature written as late as the 1960s referring to 'the gay 90s' of the 19th century, which was still within living memory for many.
    I follow a number of academics on Twitter/X and one was moaning recently that his students keep thinking that the 18th Century refers to the 1800s and the 19th C to the 1900s, etc.
    They'll probably ban "19th century" etc. from the National Curriculum soon, using "1800s" instead.

Already, clocks in many exam rooms are digital because many pupils don't know how to tell the time when there's an hour hand and a minute hand.

Ray Kurzweil says smartphones are making everyone cleverer. I wonder whether he's been on the shrooms too.
    Just wait until you hear how some pupils no longer use feather quill and ink at school as its considered that pupils understand how to use "pens" or "pencils" better.

Technology changes. I have my watch set to display a mock analogue display with hands, as its what I had growing up and I like the look of it, but I don't expect my children ever will do that and why should they?

People need to keep up with the times. Its like expecting kids to count with coins for spending money, when transactions are done digitally and few will ever handle cash anymore.
  • Options
    Thinking about Octopus if you use the link below to join both you and me will get £50 - I'll throw my contribution into site funds if you use this link https://share.octopus.energy/maize-wren-199
  • Options
    Selecting the disgraced former MP's other half as the Conservative candidate is totally bone-headed.

They deserve a shellacking for this alone.
  • Options

eek said:

Implicate both...

It may be unfair for people to think the then DPP might have had some interest in wrongful prosecutions of the Post Office staff. But politics isn't fair. And it is not as if Starmer has a great body of work that the voters can point to that gives them comfort in his judgment.

People are going to ask "How could this have happened?" Starmer looking at his shoes saying "Nothing to do with me" might be factually correct - but not exactly reassuring.
    The answer there is - at the time the Post Office had the right in england to prosecute people directly. I will be removing that right from them..
  • Options
    edited January 7

eek said:

Implicate both...

Rishi has to light the blue touch paper and make the connection. Even though it might be bollocks it would look horrendous for Starmer.
  • Options

eek said:

Implicate both...

Rishi has to light the blue touch paper, and make the connection. Even though it might be bollocks it would look horrendous for Starmer.
    Nope because I answered it in my post below yours.

at the time I was DPP the Post Office had the right in England to prosecute people directly. I will be removing that right from them..
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

eek said:

Implicate both...

Tories really are clutching at straws now.
  • Options

Selecting the disgraced former MP's other half as the Conservative candidate is totally bone-headed.

To be fair, any sensible soul with the hope of progressing a career in the Conservative Party was unlikely to put themselves forward as a candidate at this time.

They selected from what they had.
  • Options

Better than selecting the other 2 options and having Bone stand as an independent candidate...

Let's be honest there is zero chance she will win this by-election which means they can dump her before the general election is called...
  • Options
    eek said:

Implicate both...

But it *must* be Starmer. He is a bad'un. Both utterly inconsequential with no plan and no policies, and the man who will wreck the country. A man So Bad that as DPP he failed to stop these private prosecutions.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

Implicate both...

Rishi has to light the blue touch paper, and make the connection. Even though it might be bollocks it would look horrendous for Starmer.
    Nope because I answered it in my post below yours.

at the time I was DPP the Post Office had the right in England to prosecute people directly. I will be removing that right from them..
    But the stench sticks to Starmer just like with Boris's slur regarding SJS.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134

eek said:

Implicate both...

Except it wouldn't be Starmer looking at his shoes saying "Nothing to do with me".

It would be giving Starmer yet another opportunity to eviscerate Sunak on his home ground.
  • Options

eek said:

Implicate both...

But it *must* be Starmer. He is a bad'un. Both utterly inconsequential with no plan and no policies, and the man who will wreck the country. A man So Bad that as DPP he failed to stop these private prosecutions.
    Implicating Starmer also moves the light away from Sir Ed.
  • Options

eek said:

Implicate both...

So it may cost Starmer a few votes from the hard of thinking - given the current polling difference between Labour and Tories and the consequences of a party getting a very large majority that may not be an issue...
  • Options

To be fair, any sensible soul with the hope of progressing a career in the Conservative Party was unlikely to put themselves forward as a candidate at this time.

They selected from what they had.
    There was only a 24 hour window (think it was Thursday night to Friday) during which you could apply. Given the timescale for the election and the likelihood of the result you can see why no one rushed for the seat...
  • Options
    Let's all remember:

Everything bad that has happened since 2010 is the fault of the last Labour government.
This discussion has been closed.