Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Who would want to become an MP? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,686
edited January 1 in General
Who would want to become an MP? – politicalbetting.com

Mike Freer MP says he wears a stab vest these days which is becoming "par of the course".His office in Finchley was hit by a suspected arson attack on Christmas Eve.https://t.co/nJOCvYkeqM? Sky 501, Virgin 602, Freeview 233 and YouTube pic.twitter.com/RuCYi7l4rX

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Test?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

Test?

Er, no. Just the wrong trousers.
  • Options
    FPT

Sunak's triangulation is clearly targeting that previously unknown sector of the electorate who are desperate for the day when they can donate a pint bottle of Champagne to their local food bank.

I have actually donated a bottle of champagne to the food bank in my local Sainsbury's.

Was just before Christmas 2018 and we got a bottle of champagne via a hamper which we also donated.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,789

FPT

Sunak's triangulation is clearly targeting that previously unknown sector of the electorate who are desperate for the day when they can donate a pint bottle of Champagne to their local food bank.

I have actually donated a bottle of champagne to the food bank in my local Sainsbury's.

Was just before Christmas 2018 and we got a bottle of champagne via a hamper which we also donated.
    It must be said that you do have a good excuse. No SNP tombola stall nearby to donate it to.
  • Options
    I would be a fantastic MP.
  • Options
    https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/12/uk-gov-sees-stake-in-oneweb-satellite-broadband-firm-halved.html

UK Gov Sees Stake in OneWeb Satellite Broadband Firm Halved

Well done Rishi.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

Wouldn't 'AboveAverageNinja' be better?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Wouldn't 'AboveAverageNinja' be better?
    WellBelowAverageNinja would be better.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

An average one, surely ?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012
    edited December 2023
    If you earn over £100k a year and don't want a pay cut and/or value your privacy and want to avoid trolls and any threat to your safety and/or are not an ideologue on political issues then you are unlikely to want to stand for election to become an MP.

• Options
    The latest pizza controversy - replacing the base with fried chicken
    https://twitter.com/curiouswavefn/status/1740002559203705288
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

An average one, surely ?
    Still better than most MPs in the 2019 intake.
  • Options
    Saint-Saëns nailed English religion over a century back.

… "The demands of English religion are not excessive. The services are very short, and consist chiefly of listening to good music extremely well sung, for the English are excellent choristers"..
  • Options

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/12/uk-gov-sees-stake-in-oneweb-satellite-broadband-firm-halved.html

Well done Rishi.

Wasn't OneWeb one of Boris & Classic Dom's punts?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,429

Well done Rishi.

Yes.

In the medium term, having a controlling share in one of the two operating LEO data providers is a good bet.

The issue with Europe is that the French are telling everyone that the British government will wait until Europe commute to OneWeb and then will fuck them over. As payback for Galileo.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543
    HYUFD said:

If you earn over £100k a year and don't want a pay cut and/or value your privacy and want to avoid trolls and any threat to your safety and/or are not an ideologue on political issues then you are unlikely to want to stand for election to become an MP.

So, you're standing?
  • Options
    Jeremy Hunt fuels election speculation as 6 March spring budget announced
    Chancellor has asked the OBR to prepare forecasts for the economy and public finances to be presented to parliament
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/dec/27/jeremy-hunt-announces-6-march-as-date-for-spring-budget
  • Options

Well done Rishi.

With Rishi as the money man by that point.

Still, it's not that much money...
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,771
    Abe Simpson has the best views of the metric system

https://youtu.be/JQnwx10DT9o?si=Uqeb9NwNJavOSs5c
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,639
    edited December 2023
    Nigelb said:

An average one, surely ?
    I would have thought that the skills required to be a ninja and an MP have limited overlap, so were someone to be an average ninja, that would tell us little about their ability to be an MP, and vice versa.

(Paddy Ashdown comes to mind. He had the skills to be both a great MP and a great ninja.)
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,627
    Nigelb said:

Not too dissimilar to a Parmo.

And Parmos are great. The only good thing to come from Middlesbrough.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    Imagine having a job where there is a long running website dedicated to analysing everything you do.
  • Options
    “Who would want to become an MP?”

Me
  • Options
    I would run for the Pro-Vegan-Anti-Venison party. I would call it "Left Wing Scum"
  • Options

Imagine having a job where there is a long running website dedicated to analysing everything you do.

This isn't HelloMagazine.com.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    edited December 2023
    This is an important point to bear in mind, when we castigate our MP’s..
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Nigelb said:

Saint-Saëns nailed English religion over a century back.

… "The demands of English religion are not excessive. The services are very short, and consist chiefly of listening to good music extremely well sung, for the English are excellent choristers"..

The key point was reducing the God Bothering to a minimum.

It’s quite hard to get violent over well sung Bach.
  • Options

I would run for the Pro-Vegan-Anti-Venison party. I would call it "Left Wing Scum"

I’m considering running for the Presidency of Peru.

The main policies of the Corrupt Gringo Party

1) we will steal only half the money
    2) we will sell the country to foreign interests. But get a good price.
  • Options
    Andrew Castle trying to justify why Ukrainians are more worthy of being taken into British homes than people from Afghanistan or Iraq is something to behold. John Barnes utterly rinsed him.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    edit
  • Options

Which is why @TSE doesn’t need to be an MP.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,284

Despite a disappointingly pedestrian level of ninjary?
  • Options
    Note the Michigan ruling allows a further challenge should Trump be a candidate in the general election.

The Michigan decision today does not help Trump win the Colorado case in US Supreme Ct. It is based on Michigan law, which the Michigan cts said do not provide a mechanism to remove Trump from the ballot. The decision says nothing about Colorado law, which has such a mechanism.
    https://twitter.com/neal_katyal/status/1740035152892583968
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

This is an important point to bear in mind, when we castigate our MP’s..

Indeed so.

Somewhere down the line, like online abuse of all kinds, it can have serious real world effects.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,771
    Speculation that some F-16s have already arrived in Ukraine

https://www.newsweek.com/ukraine-f16-russia-fighter-jets-crimea-su34-1855709
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Despite a disappointingly pedestrian level of ninjary?
    I am here and everywhere, you just cannot see me
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,806
    kjh said:

You can't be pro vegan and anti venison. I think we decided sometime ago here that venison is vegan.
    Venison isn't vegan. I shall call the vegan police to deveganise you with their deveganising ray.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dLpCZ8g5uK8
  • Options

Maybe the government could help alleviate food poverty *and* improve the nation's health by distributing free healthy food to anyone who wants it? One collection per person per week allowed.

Free stuff is expensive, creates a sense of entitlement on those who receive it (for which they are not grateful and for whom it's never enough) and doesn't do much to transform outcomes.

I'd maybe look more seriously at subsidising healthy food, and teaching home economics/simple cooking to all, but I think a price must be paid for it to be valued and appreciated.
    I think it would be far better to look at ways that we can make our national staples (bread, milk, spreading fat, pasta, potatoes) healthier. That could have a dramatic effect on levels of overall health, and benefit the poor disproportionately, as these 'basics' will feature nore heavily in their diets.
    FPT. Minimum levels of vitamin and mineral fortification of several processed staple foods (particularly bread) have been a feature of regulation for decades. Not sure how you would realistically do that with things like potatoes.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    HYUFD said:

I think that code could be written more efficiently.
  • Options
    I have decided to have a pineapple pizza for din dins
  • Options

Cheerio!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    Nigelb said:

That looks like an answer to the question, "How can we get some free publicity?"
  • Options
    viewcode said:

kjh said:

You can't be pro vegan and anti venison. I think we decided sometime ago here that venison is vegan.
    Venison isn't vegan. I shall call the vegan police to deveganise you with their deveganising ray.

The question of whether venison is vegan is a complex issue that involves considerations of ethics, health, and personal values. While venison is derived from animals, which conflicts with the core principles of veganism, there are numerous alternatives available to vegans that provide comparable flavours and nutritional benefits.

Vegans can choose from a wide array of plant-based protein sources and innovative recipes that replicate the taste and texture of venison without the ethical concerns associated with animal exploitation. Ultimately, the decision of whether to consume venison as a vegan is a personal choice that should be guided by an understanding of the underlying principles of veganism and a commitment to reducing harm to animals and the environment.

https://casadesante.com/en-eu/blogs/gut-health/is-venison-vegan
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Vegan no-chicken for me, please :lol:
  • Options

viewcode said:

kjh said:

The question of whether venison is vegan is a complex issue that involves considerations of ethics, health, and personal values. While venison is derived from animals, which conflicts with the core principles of veganism, there are numerous alternatives available to vegans that provide comparable flavours and nutritional benefits.

Vegans can choose from a wide array of plant-based protein sources and innovative recipes that replicate the taste and texture of venison without the ethical concerns associated with animal exploitation. Ultimately, the decision of whether to consume venison as a vegan is a personal choice that should be guided by an understanding of the underlying principles of veganism and a commitment to reducing harm to animals and the environment.

Saying that "venison is derived from animals" seems a bit too euphemistic for a vegan.
  • Options

Maybe the government could help alleviate food poverty *and* improve the nation's health by distributing free healthy food to anyone who wants it? One collection per person per week allowed.

Free stuff is expensive, creates a sense of entitlement on those who receive it (for which they are not grateful and for whom it's never enough) and doesn't do much to transform outcomes.

I'd maybe look more seriously at subsidising healthy food, and teaching home economics/simple cooking to all, but I think a price must be paid for it to be valued and appreciated.
    I think it would be far better to look at ways that we can make our national staples (bread, milk, spreading fat, pasta, potatoes) healthier. That could have a dramatic effect on levels of overall health, and benefit the poor disproportionately, as these 'basics' will feature nore heavily in their diets.
    FPT. Minimum levels of vitamin and mineral fortification of several processed staple foods (particularly bread) have been a feature of regulation for decades. Not sure how you would realistically do that with things like potatoes.
    I have only just realised that the UK recommendation is for everyone to take a 10μg (400IU) vitamin D supplement daily during the autumn and winter.
  • Options
    RIP Jacques Delors
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,141
    edited December 2023

I couldn't pick a pizza when faced with too much choice on Xmas Eve. I ordered a Hawaiian (with red chili) *purely* because everyone hates it here.

It was bloody lovely.
  • Options
    I appreciate it's a minority view but MPs should be paid more. A lot more.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,806

viewcode said:

kjh said:

The question of whether venison is vegan is a simple issue that involves very little consideration. While venison is derived from animals, which conflicts with the core principles of vegans, that is a conclusive point. Ultimately the decision of whether to consume venison as a vegan is a personal choice that should be guided by an understanding of whether one wants to be a flipping vegan or not.

Https://casadesante.com/en-eu/blogs/gut-health/ofcourseitsnotveganyouidiots
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    edited December 2023

They have, but I'm afraid that such modifications are very dated and in my opinion unlikely to do much good. The adulteration of bread with calcium carbonate (chalk) is one such practise that is imo of very dubious usefulness. There is no evidence that we can assimilate calcium successfully by ingesting chalk. Even if we could, we need magnesium and vitamins D and K alongside it to develop strong bones.

With bread, I'd look at mandating the dressing of cereal fields with rock dust to replenish the soil, getting more essential minerals into the wheat. I'd also promote the manufacture of soaked bread, to make the nutrients in the wheat more assimilable and eliminate phytic acid which at high levels works to reduce net nutrition.

The idea behind the fortification of staples is nice, but we need to do it naturally for it to be anything more than a meaningless gesture.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661
    "American 777 insane landing at London Heathrow"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hIqXjAmo6k
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Speculation that some F-16s have already arrived in Ukraine

https://www.newsweek.com/ukraine-f16-russia-fighter-jets-crimea-su34-1855709

There was a suggestion that the Storm Shadow Christmas Present to the Russian Navy was from an F16
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Ouch, baby!

If you've got a spare five and-a-half hours, the full Big Jet TV video is here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wck8FbYmD_w
  • Options
    mwadams said:

I couldn't pick a pizza when faced with too much choice on Xmas Eve. I ordered a Hawaiian (with red chili) *purely* because everyone hates it here.

It was bloody lovely.
    Our Christmas Eve eve pizza was our usual of tomato sauce, anchovies, Napoli salami, kalamata olives, red peppers, basil, mozzarella.

It's the absolute best. We've tried lots of other combinations but we keep coming back to this one.

No pineapple within 200m at least (distance to our neighbours who may or may not lack taste and decorum).
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    someone just told me that imperial measures which which was promised a return by Boris Johnson is now not going to happen because something like 95% of the population don't want it.

If anyone wanted evidence of the nuttiness of Brexit and ALL who voted for it there it is. I had no idea. Talk about a luck escape. We should start counting the days till this Tory Party disintegrates!
  • Options

viewcode said:

kjh said:

Saying that "venison is derived from animals" seems a bit too euphemistic for a vegan.
    A Hen is involved in breakfast (eggs)
    A Pig is committed to breakfast (bacon)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,284

viewcode said:

kjh said:

If the deer had a diet consisting solely of plants and lived a carefree, frolicking life in the wild before meeting its fate, then technically, eating venison could be considered a vegan-friendly choice.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

viewcode said:

kjh said:

If the deer had a diet consisting solely of plants and lived a carefree, frolicking life in the wild before meeting its fate, then technically, eating venison could be considered a vegan-friendly choice.
    Somehow I don't think so :lol:
  • Options

Yup, but also no subsidised restaurants, no bars, no appearing on reality shows when you should be at work and stop the term time nonsense. It needs to be seen as a serious job.
    The current crop of MPs have been their own worst enemies, and it's going to take a concerted effort for them to win back the public's respect.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

We had a similar landing at Heathrow a few years ago returning from Vancouver when we had two attempts to touch down and accelerated away just feet from the runway, before a third very bumpy but successful landing

A very unpleasant experience
  • Options
    Freer is an obsessive supporter of Israel and all it's work. However much graffitti is painted on his office walls I bet actuarilly he's a 1000 times safer in his Finchley office than any single child in Gaza whom he wants Israel to continue bombing.
  • Options

Yup, but also no subsidised restaurants, no bars, no appearing on reality shows when you should be at work and stop the term time nonsense. It needs to be seen as a serious job.
    The current crop of MPs have been their own worst enemies, and it's going to take a concerted effort for them to win back the public's respect.
    Agree with all of that. No second jobs, no additional remuneration.
  • Options
  • Options
    A

I go the other way.

Second jobs should be mandatory. Reduce the mindless complexity of legislation so that MP is a part time job, again.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Freer is an obsessive supporter of Israel and all it's work. However much graffitti is painted on his office walls I bet actuarilly he's a 1000 times safer in his Finchley office than any single child in Gaza whom he wants Israel to continue bombing.

I presume you would support the firebombing of a Pro Palestine MPs office?

Or is violence in politics only for some people?
  • Options

What genuinely puzzles me is why the "no mass medication" crowd, who protest at the fluoridation of the water supply, have no objection to adding, say, folic acid to bread.
  • Options

What genuinely puzzles me is why the "no mass medication" crowd, who protest at the fluoridation of the water supply, have no objection to adding, say, folic acid to bread.
    The number of anti-vaxers who take illegal drugs….
  • Options

A

I go the other way.

Second jobs should be mandatory. Reduce the mindless complexity of legislation so that MP is a part time job, again.
    Mps who have a wide experience outside parliament are essential to the HOC and if they continue to practice in a professional capacity or in their business then preventing them earning from these sources would have a negative effect.

It is however essential that all their interests are declared and policed by the commons committee
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

viewcode said:

kjh said:

Not very friendly to be eating the vegan deer.
  • Options
    Farewell then Jacques Delors, you made the shape of Europe yours.
    Though Maggie thought you very wrong, she had to quit before too long.
  • Options

Folate, or folic acid, is an essential dietary requirement which we cannot live without.
  • Options

A

I go the other way.

You'd need to reduce the complexity of the world first.
  • Options

Let us no more speak of your flaws, Delors.
  • Options

A

I go the other way.

Mps who have a wide experience outside parliament are essential to the HOC and if they continue to practice in a professional capacity or in their business then preventing them earning from these sources would have a negative effect.

It is however essential that all their interests are declared and policed by the commons committee
    Policed how? Would Dorries or Hancock and many continue to be allowed to increase their wide experience of reality TV shows? Does that help keep them grounded in the real world maybe?

Or do we have a list of acceptable occupations?

No, we should pay them 2 or 3 times what they currently get, remove the subsidised bars etc as per twistedfirestopper, and ban them from other remuneration while they are MPs.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

You can, I suppose, choose not to eat bread. Avoiding water and the products it is used in is harder.
  • Options

Roger said:

There are no pro Palestinian MP's who support the bombing of Israel.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661
    RIP Jacques Delors.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,990

A

I go the other way.

Policed how? Would Dorries or Hancock and many continue to be allowed to increase their wide experience of reality TV shows? Does that help keep them grounded in the real world maybe?

Or do we have a list of acceptable occupations?

No, we should pay them 2 or 3 times what they currently get, remove the subsidised bars etc as per twistedfirestopper, and ban them from other remuneration while they are MPs.
    There should be a rule that nobody can become an MP until they have worked for at least 10 years in a non political capacity. Therefore, no ex SPADs, no ex councillors, no ex MSPs or AMs.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

https://www.jewishnews.co.uk/mps-mcdonnell-and-sultana-addressed-crowd-that-called-for-hamas-to-blow-up-israeli-city/

Former Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell and fellow Labour MP Zarah Sultana have been urged to explain their participation at a rally held by the Palestine Solidarity Campaign and the Stop the War Coalition, where the crowd called for Hamas to “blow up” an Israeli city.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,243
    Roger said:

Roger said:

You seem to be unaware of the Life and Works of Jeremy Corbyn, MP
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

A pedant notes: This is a chizza, not a pizza issue according to the TwiX. A category error has been made. Like grandfather's axe, pizzas have two elements, a breadlike farinaceous base and a topping. Debate rages (qv PB passim) as to what are the constraints and constants of the topping, but the base is a fixture, though the quality is variable - from just edible to revolting. If I change the base to chicken, lard, frozen currants or ice cream it is not pizza. When I take grandfather's axe and replace the handle and then the head it is still grandfather's axe but if I replace the head with a bar of soap and the handle with a banana, it isn't.
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 936

If we think this (and I'm definitely sympathetic to the idea) we should probably want to have incentives that increase the variety of prior and outside experience and reduce the number of MPs whose previous experience is all politics, law, and think tank stuff. For instance the number of MPs with a background as a manual worker fell from over 15% to 3% between 1979 and 2015. (Source: https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-7483/CBP-7483.pdf )

• Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,726
    edited December 2023

Nigelb said:

Not too dissimilar to a Parmo.

And Parmos are great. The only good thing to come from Middlesbrough.
    Indeed.

Though actually if you're on a ketogenic diet then replacing the crust with unbreaded chicken works quite well actually as a healthier low-carb alternative to a pizza crust.

https://www.wholesomeyum.com/low-carb-keto-chicken-crust-pizza-recipe/
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

You haven’t managed to hear the Corbynite types who have justified over the years, for example, the missile attacks on Israel.

Just as they (and similarly minded MPs) used to justify the PIRA blowing up pubs.

Violence and advocating violence against democratically elected politicians is always wrong.

Because it always destroys democracy in the end.

I could introduce you to a on e of the results of the Peruvian
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,312
    edited December 2023

Roger said:

Test:

• Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

https://www.jewishnews.co.uk/mps-mcdonnell-and-sultana-addressed-crowd-that-called-for-hamas-to-blow-up-israeli-city/

Former Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell and fellow Labour MP Zarah Sultana have been urged to explain their participation at a rally held by the Palestine Solidarity Campaign and the Stop the War Coalition, where the crowd called for Hamas to “blow up” an Israeli city.
    When you produce a single quote from any British MP suggesting The Palestinians should blow up an Israeli city then it could be worth continuing this conversation. Your Reductio ad Absurdum is just fucking boring.
  • Options

A

I go the other way.

It should be part time and unpaid apart from travel expenses. Each should have an office staff, paid, for case work.

A qualification for all MPs should be the capacity to comprehend the meaning and implication of all the laws and regulations they pass in our name. A licence is issued if you pass. This should be tested and renewed annually, failure means revocation of the licence to be an MP.
  • Options

We could help to ensure people can afford healthy foods like meats so they aren't forced to eat crappy carbs like potatoes in the first place.

Also drop any failed 20th century "food pyramids" that put crappy carbs as foods to eat a lot of.

I have meat with every meal, but potatoes only rarely, much, much healthier than the other way around but also a lot more expensive - not everyone can afford to do the same and too many still recommend the opposite.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Nice of you to return with a juicy bit of libel for us.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,243

Leon said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Nice of you to return with a juicy bit of libel for us.
    "Labour’s Jeremy Corbyn: Why I called Hamas our friends"

https://www.thejc.com/news/labours-jeremy-corbyn-why-i-called-hamas-our-friends-jag6fwha
  • Options

MPs wouldn't be able to be ministers, then
  • Options

We could help to ensure people can afford healthy foods like meats so they aren't forced to eat crappy carbs like potatoes in the first place.

Also drop any failed 20th century "food pyramids" that put crappy carbs as foods to eat a lot of.

I have meat with every meal, but potatoes only rarely, much, much healthier than the other way around but also a lot more expensive - not everyone can afford to do the same and too many still recommend the opposite.
    Potatoes are loads healthier if you turn them into chips, especially if done so with beef fat.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Apparently only 30% of Americans currently support Bidens policy of continuing the bombing of Gaza. According to Radio 4 this is now affecting his re election chances. Amongst young people the numbers are even worse.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

When you produce a single quote from any British MP suggesting The Palestinians should blow up an Israeli city then it could be worth continuing this conversation. Your Reductio ad Absurdum is just fucking boring.
    You don't need to decode what an MP means when they call Hamas and Hezbollah their "friends".

Your excuse-making and denialism is even more effing boring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SLvwNTFcc8
  • Options
    Roger said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Apparently only 30% of Americans currently support Bidens policy of continuing the bombing of Gaza. According to Radio 4 this is now affecting his re election chances. Amongst young people the numbers are even worse.
    What is it about 30%? According the the Economist 30% of Americans believe that Trump has been anointed by God to lead them.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,939

Jacques Delors
    Stood at the doors
    Of heaven all aglow.
    “Can I come in?”
    He said to Him
    God answered “No, no, no.”
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

A pedant notes: This is a chizza, not a pizza issue according to the TwiX. A category error has been made. Like grandfather's axe, pizzas have two elements, a breadlike farinaceous base and a topping. Debate rages (qv PB passim) as to what are the constraints and constants of the topping, but the base is a fixture, though the quality is variable - from just edible to revolting. If I change the base to chicken, lard, frozen currants or ice cream it is not pizza. When I take grandfather's axe and replace the handle and then the head it is still grandfather's axe but if I replace the head with a bar of soap and the handle with a banana, it isn't.
    Hence the controversy.

Also you are neglecting to analyse whatever food element it is that coats the chicken. Which may well be farinaceous (or might just be crap).
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

What is it about 30%? According the the Economist 30% of Americans believe that Trump has been anointed by God to lead them.
    Not good, God.
This discussion has been closed.