Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

I cannot see Trump winning the election with these expectations – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,686
edited January 1 in General
I cannot see Trump winning the election with these expectations – politicalbetting.com

In one word, what would you say Donald Trump most wants to achieve from a second term as President?Among Independents:.@JLPartnersPolls/@DailyMail, 984 LV, 12/15-20 https://t.co/or5yC9lOFR pic.twitter.com/iDYyb0p0ey

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,477
    edited December 2023
    LOL

Rishi Sunak has abandoned Boris Johnson’s signature Brexit “dividend” of allowing British shops to once again sell products in pounds and ounces.

In an announcement slipped out ­quietly over Christmas, the Department for Business and Trade said that ministers had dropped plans to bring back imperial measurements after 98.7 per cent of people opposed the move in a government consultation.

Instead they would make a far more limited change and allow the reintroduction of Winston Churchill’s ­favoured pint bottles of champagne, which were banned by the EU.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rishi-sunak-scraps-imperial-measures-f58n7dvzd

What sort of uncouth chav drinks champagne by the pint?

Champagne is so classy because of the name of the bottles such as.

Magnum

Jeroboam

Methuselah

Salmanazar

Balthazar

Nebuchadnezzar
  • Options

LOL

Rishi Sunak has abandoned Boris Johnson’s signature Brexit “dividend” of allowing British shops to once again sell products in pounds and ounces.

In an announcement slipped out ­quietly over Christmas, the Department for Business and Trade said that ministers had dropped plans to bring back imperial measurements after 98.7 per cent of people opposed the move in a government consultation.

Instead they would make a far more limited change and allow the reintroduction of Winston Churchill’s ­favoured pint bottles of champagne, which were banned by the EU.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rishi-sunak-scraps-imperial-measures-f58n7dvzd

Magnum

Jeroboam

Methuselah

Salmanazar

Balthaza

Nebuchadnezzar

They didn't ask me.

The one I wanted was for beer to be sold in pints in shops and stores, rather than cans and bottles always being this 500ml nonsense.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited December 2023
    Being certain, or even vaguely sure, about the American election this far out is always a mug's game, but especially so this year with an unpopular 80-something incumbent facing a 91-times indicted likely challenger, two medium-sized wars raging, the economy volatile and the social-media-driven 50:50 electorate even more so.

The only thing that seems certain is a very turbulent year in America, and the only person of any significance who will stick with Trump through thick and thin is Vladimir Putin.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

LOL

Magnum

Jeroboam

Methuselah

Salmanazar

Balthaza

Nebuchadnezzar

They didn't ask me.

The one I wanted was for beer to be sold in pints in shops and stores, rather than cans and bottles always being this 500ml nonsense.
    98.7%? Did Kim Jong Un get as much in his recent election?
  • Options
    On topic, I’m not betting on what happens next November because it is too far out.

However, when you have a header talking about one of the sides being ‘odious’, from a betting perspective you know you are going to be getting an irrational perspective.

The only bets I’m having at the moment is on the Democrat 2024 nominee because I think Slow Joe will be shoved aside at the Convention if his ratings don’t improve. There are some good value bets on the Governor candidates - I only do long only bets on Ladbrokes but I’ve put money on Whitmer at 130/1 with some on names like Pritzker, Polis and Cooper. Newsom is way too short - he would get hammered in an election.
  • Options

They didn't ask me.

Yes, I don't recall the consultation either. Only a percentage quoted, no absolute numbers. Smells like a hundredweight of fish to me or 0.05080234t if you prefer.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

They didn't ask me.

Yes, I don't recall the consultation either. Only a percentage quoted, no absolute numbers. Smells like a hundredweight of fish to me or 0.05080234t if you prefer.
    I partook in this consultation.

8) The consultation ran from 3 June to 26 August and we received 101,108 responses. 170 responses were considered as void, therefore, in total we analysed 100,938 responses. Responses were marked as void when they were either blank, duplicated, or had technical errors that prevented them from being viewed.

Out of the responses we analysed, we identified 93,041 as being from consumers, 4,718 from businesses and 3,179 from academia, healthcare, government and trading standards, and other organisations.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/choice-on-units-of-measurement-markings-and-sales/outcome/choice-on-units-of-measurement-consultation-response#consultation-responses
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,266

On topic, I’m not betting on what happens next November because it is too far out.

However, when you have a header talking about one of the sides being ‘odious’, from a betting perspective you know you are going to be getting an irrational perspective.

The only bets I’m having at the moment is on the Democrat 2024 nominee because I think Slow Joe will be shoved aside at the Convention if his ratings don’t improve. There are some good value bets on the Governor candidates - I only do long only bets on Ladbrokes but I’ve put money on Whitmer at 130/1 with some on names like Pritzker, Polis and Cooper. Newsom is way too short - he would get hammered in an election.

Highlighted without comment.

• Options

Odious is a reference to this.

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2023/12/24/we-need-to-talk-about-the-smell-of-trump/

Why can't you supporters of the Insurrectionist-in-Chief take a joke?
  • Options

They didn't ask me.

8) The consultation ran from 3 June to 26 August and we received 101,108 responses. 170 responses were considered as void, therefore, in total we analysed 100,938 responses. Responses were marked as void when they were either blank, duplicated, or had technical errors that prevented them from being viewed.

Out of the responses we analysed, we identified 93,041 as being from consumers, 4,718 from businesses and 3,179 from academia, healthcare, government and trading standards, and other organisations.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/choice-on-units-of-measurement-markings-and-sales/outcome/choice-on-units-of-measurement-consultation-response#consultation-responses
    I did as well.

AIR the question was ‘should we only sell in Imperial?’

To which my answer was no, because I don’t see what damn business it is of the government to mandate what form of measurement a willing buyer and a willing seller use.

If they want to use metric, let ‘em. If they want to use Imperial, fine. It doesn’t bother me either way in the slightest.

(And I took that view about compulsory metrification as well, before anyone asks.)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

They didn't ask me.

I did as well.

To which my answer was no, because I don’t see what damn business it is of the government to mandate what form of measurement a willing buyer and a willing seller use.

If they want to use metric, let ‘em. If they want to use Imperial, fine. It doesn’t bother me either way in the slightest.

(And I took that view about compulsory metrification as well, before anyone asks.)
    I can use both but prefer the logic/linear path of metric.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

ydoethur said:

They didn't ask me.

I did as well.

To be honest, I tend to find imperial easier but I think there are two reasons for that. One is that as a professional historian that’s the system I use in my work, and the second is that for various reasons I tend to do more division than multiplication and with rare exceptions (stones spring to mind) imperial works better for halving and quartering than metric.

I can use either and it isn’t a point of principle with me as to which I use.
  • Options
    Somebody really didn’t think this headline through:

Climate change: Seasonal shifts causing 'chaos' for UK nature
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-67705812

(It’s not what the article says either.)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

They didn't ask me.

I did as well.

As did I- the questions were these;

1 For All,
    a) Are there any specific areas of consumer transactions that should be a priority
    for allowing a choice in units of measurement, and why?
    b) Are there any specific areas that you think should be excluded from a choice in
    units of measurement, and why?
    c) If an item is sold in imperial measures, should there be a requirement for a
    metric equivalent alongside it?
    2 For Businesses,
    What would be the consequences of your business having the freedom to sell
    products in imperial measures, if you wished?
    3 For Consumers,
    a) If you had a choice, would you want to purchase items:
    (i) in imperial units?
    (ii) in imperial units alongside a metric equivalent?
    b) Are you more likely to shop from businesses that sell in imperial units?
    c) Do you foresee any costs or benefits to you from businesses being permitted
    to sell:
    (i) solely in imperial units?
    (ii) in imperial units alongside a less prominent metric equivalent?
    d) Do you have experience of buying solely in imperial units?
    4 For Trading Standards,
    What potential impacts might there be on regulatory activity, including any costs or
    benefits?

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/choice-on-units-of-measurement-markings-and-sales

Not easy to express opposition, and I suspect the responses were more than a bit organised. Voodoo poll and all that.

But it highlights what I suspect will be a theme- the stuff we blamed Brussels for will continue to happen because, overall, it's preferable to the alternatives.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

They didn't ask me.

I did as well.

To be honest, I tend to find imperial easier but I think there are two reasons for that. One is that as a professional historian that’s the system I use in my work, and the second is that for various reasons I tend to do more division than multiplication and with rare exceptions (stones spring to mind) imperial works better for halving and quartering than metric.

I can use either and it isn’t a point of principle with me as to which I use.
    Fun fact.

Dividing X by a/b is the same as multiplying X by b/a.

In my job I do a lot of multiplying because of calculating capital adequacy requirements, etc.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756
    Problem is Mr Eagles, given the way the Dems have twisted the legal system, what happens if there is a large slice of the electorate who want revenge and are happy to vote for it ?
  • Options

Problem is Mr Eagles, given the way the Dems have twisted the legal system, what happens if there is a large slice of the electorate who want revenge and are happy to vote for it ?

I kinda know a former GOP strategist and his advice in the run up to 2020 was watch Trump's ratings with independents.

They thought Trump was doing well on the economy but his ratings on everything else pointed to a Trump defeat.

I am following that strategy again.
  • Options

I kinda know a former GOP strategist and his advice in the run up to 2020 was watch Trump's ratings with independents.

They thought Trump was doing well on the economy but his ratings on everything else pointed to a Trump defeat.

Are you doing that for Biden ? He's the incumbent.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

The Dems have not ‘twisted the legal system.’ That’s simple projection from the Trump camp (who have twisted it themselves and are therefore shocked it’s still coming after them).

Point however - I can imagine the MAGA loons might want revenge for their imaginary grievances, but the word cloud is independent voters, ie people who are *not* committed to Trump.
  • Options

Yes.

Another fun fact, Biden is doing better than Obama in 2011 and Trump worse than Romney in 2011 at this point in the electoral cycle.

The other factor that also helps Biden is abortion.

One thing that is shredding GOP votes is how the GOP have gone from saying it should be left to the states to decide, the states decide we want to keep abortion and now the GOP are talking about bypassing the states and introducing a national ban on abortion.
  • Options

I expect a large slice will do as you say. Americans are political unhinged so people absolutely will happily vote for a dictator. But not a majority.

The elephant in the room remains the US constitution. The Supreme Court in Colorado has ruled smelly to be ineligible under the 14th Amendment. For the US Supreme Court to overturn this will take some legal gymnastics which overturns the rest of their Giled via the Courts strategy.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

The Dems have not ‘twisted the legal system.’ That’s simple projection from the Trump camp (who have twisted it themselves and are therefore shocked it’s still coming after them).

Point however - I can imagine the MAGA loons might want revenge for their imaginary grievances, but the word cloud is independent voters, ie people who are *not* committed to Trump.
    That's your view, but both side have been as bad as each other and have been doubling down each round of the fiasco. The whole sad affair probably goes back as far as the Clinton impeachment attempt.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,002
    Good morning everyone.
    As a very old, and indeed retired and non-practicing, pharmacist, when I qualified we used both the ancient apothecaries system and the metric. Indeed we had to be able to convert one to the other accurately, and recognise incorrect doses in both.
    I have some sympathy with ydoethur with regard to the divisibility of the old system and, too, it is much more difficult to err by 100 with the apothecaries system. I’m sure Dr F will agree with me about the disadvantages of erring by factors of 100 in dosages!
    However I’m also very much happier with a universally consistent system!
  • Options

Yes.

Another fun fact, Biden is doing better than Obama in 2011 and Trump worse than Romney in 2011 at this point in the electoral cycle.

The other factor that also helps Biden is abortion.

One thing that is shredding GOP votes is how the GOP have gone from saying it should be left to the states to decide, the states decide we want to keep abortion and now the GOP are talking about bypassing the states and introducing a national ban on abortion.
    Yes I cant see GOP picking up votes on abortion, its a minority obsession which annoys more people than it pleases.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

ydoethur said:

That's your view, but both side have been as bad as each other and have been doubling down each round of the fiasco. The whole sad affair probably goes back as far as the Clinton impeachment attempt.
    No, it’s not my view, it’s a fact.

If you doubt that, look at the makeup of the Supreme Court.

Or remember the Republicans in congress have been interfering with due process over Hunter Biden’s crimes to force additional prosecutions on him while trying to block actions against Trump for crimes he’s been stupid enough to boast about.

Or look at any statement of Rudy Giuliani.

There is one organisation that has completely lost respect for the law, and whatever their many faults that isn’t the Democrats.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,670
    Good morning all, and happy Twixtmas for those of us with time off.

I am not too surprised by the word cloud. I have mentioned a few times here that Trump's Achillies heel is that he has little to offer the American voter. Its all about himself. Sooner or later voters will want to see more in the way of policy.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307

And many of the precedents, or more accurately, conventions, which stopped the use of legal powers against opposing parties and political figures have been abandoned or found not to be binding. It is scary to think about what Trump might do in such an uninhibited environment.

I am ambivalent about this. The failure of the justice system to properly hold Trump to account for January 6th is deeply concerning and suggests, again, that money and patronage can put people beyond the law in the US. On the other hand, much of the rest seems politically motivated and what comes around will go around to the detriment of everyone.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Or remember the Republicans in congress have been interfering with due process over Hunter Biden’s crimes to force additional prosecutions on him while trying to block actions against Trump for crimes he’s been stupid enough to boast about.

There is one organisation that has completely lost respect for the law, and whatever their many faults that isn’t the Democrats.
    Well currently in the US one mans fact is another mans opinion you only have to ask was J6 an organised coup or poor policing. Thee States legal system is anything but impartial so respect for the law is more of an optional extra based on who you vote for.
  • Options

Good morning everyone.
    As a very old, and indeed retired and non-practicing, pharmacist, when I qualified we used both the ancient apothecaries system and the metric. Indeed we had to be able to convert one to the other accurately, and recognise incorrect doses in both.
    I have some sympathy with ydoethur with regard to the divisibility of the old system and, too, it is much more difficult to err by 100 with the apothecaries system. I’m sure Dr F will agree with me about the disadvantages of erring by factors of 100 in dosages!

The Gimli Glider would agree with you:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider
  • Options

They didn't ask me.

The questions were hilariously biased in favour of Imperial units, so the consultation coming out so clearly for metric is quite some defeat.

• Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Well currently in the US one mans fact is another mans opinion you only have to ask was J6 an organised coup or poor policing. Thee States legal system is anything but impartial so respect for the law is more of an optional extra based on who you vote for.
    Leaving aside the fact you are making assumptions of your own there rather than engaging with the substance, the key point is this is a word cloud from independents.

Do you actually think such people put ‘revenge’ in as a positive? And it will make them more likely to vote for Mr Caps Lock Malfunction?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

They didn't ask me.

The questions were hilariously biased in favour of Imperial units, so the consultation coming out so clearly for metric is quite some defeat.

Not really. With social media it isn't hard to massively skew the results in one way or another.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

They didn't ask me.

Not really. With social media it isn't hard to massively skew the results in one way or another.
    It is the will of the people.
  • Options

RobD said:

Foxy said:

They didn't ask me.

It is the will of the people.
    They wouldn’t do what half-litre sized celebrity Mogg wanted.
  • Options

Good morning everyone.

I have always worked in metric, and have seen doses written 1000 times too strong (mg where mcg was correct). Most prescribing errors in dosage seem to be from miscalculating doses based on weight, or calculating dosage from solutions marked as percentages.

As such I am one of the few Britons who weighs themselves in kg rather than stones. Stones are an interesting anachronism, as seemingly only used for weighing people. No one buys a stone of potatoes or of rice etc.
  • Options
    No10 plans to end inheritance tax in spring ahead of election

PM hopes spring giveaway will increase chances as Labour prepares for early vote

Downing Street is considering axing inheritance tax in three months’ time in a pre-election giveaway to boost Rishi Sunak’s chances of victory.

The move is one of a handful of major tax cuts that have been discussed by senior figures in Number 10.

The Prime Minister has ordered a “gear change” on tax, having made bringing down inflation, rather than reducing the tax burden, the priority early in his premiership.

Other cuts being considered include increasing the threshold at which people start paying the 40 per cent rate of income tax, and reducing the basic 20 per cent rate.

But scrapping inheritance tax is the least likely of the three moves to be matched by Labour – potentially creating the tax “dividing line” craved by Tory election strategists.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/12/26/rishi-sunak-end-inheritance-tax-spring-ahead-of-election/
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leaving aside the fact you are making assumptions of your own there rather than engaging with the substance, the key point is this is a word cloud from independents.

Do you actually think such people put ‘revenge’ in as a positive? And it will make them more likely to vote for Mr Caps Lock Malfunction?
    Well I suppose it depends on whether you think its a a good predictor. Currently the polls put Trump ahead among independents. Logically he should be trailing based on the word cloud.

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-surges-ahead-joe-biden-independents-1849625
  • Options

PM hopes spring giveaway will increase chances as Labour prepares for early vote

Downing Street is considering axing inheritance tax in three months’ time in a pre-election giveaway to boost Rishi Sunak’s chances of victory.

The move is one of a handful of major tax cuts that have been discussed by senior figures in Number 10.

The Prime Minister has ordered a “gear change” on tax, having made bringing down inflation, rather than reducing the tax burden, the priority early in his premiership.

Other cuts being considered include increasing the threshold at which people start paying the 40 per cent rate of income tax, and reducing the basic 20 per cent rate.

But scrapping inheritance tax is the least likely of the three moves to be matched by Labour – potentially creating the tax “dividing line” craved by Tory election strategists.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/12/26/rishi-sunak-end-inheritance-tax-spring-ahead-of-election/

waste of time
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Well I suppose it depends on whether you think its a a good predictor. Currently the polls put Trump ahead among independents. Logically he should be trailing based on the word cloud.

It's like 2015 all over again.

The polls had Labour leading but Dave led Ed on all the supplementaries.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

They didn't ask me.

Yup, there was quite a bit of sharing of that consultation on science teacher SM. Indeed, the leadingness of the questions might of been what caused the outcomes announced today.

But yes. The percentages are no more meaningful than "Isn't Jeremy brilliant? Retweet for a bigger sample." poll results.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    Foxy said:

They didn't ask me.

I am in my early 60s and am generally more comfortable with imperial than metric. I have a better idea what a quarter pound of cheese looks like than 115gms. The sad truth, however, is that as a result of British ambivalence I am not completely happy in either. I now accept buying petrol in litres (in fairness the price in gallons would probably stop me driving), for example.

My kids are far more comfortable in grams and kilograms, having been taught that at school. We will get there eventually and I don't see the need to hurry to be honest. I have never found this anything to get excited about. Simply removing the ban on imperial for us oldies would be enough and it would be daft to go further.

• Options

waste of time
    He should do something radical for us hard working workers and reduce the top rate of tax from 45p to something more manageable like 30p.

Workers of the world unite.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

They didn't ask me.

But that works both ways. There are plenty on Facebook foaming on about metric martyrs etc, but even they couldn't be arsed.

The truth is that we will stick to metric on this as we will for most EU directives because the rules are sensible.
  • Options

waste of time
    He should do something radical for us hard working workers and reduce the top rate of tax from 45p to something more manageable like 30p.

If he really wanted to help struggling families a big cut in fuel duty would help a lot.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Maybe, but the shit will only engage with his fans when the campaign starts next year. The Dems are doing their usual raise the ante to hope they can discredit a man who is fairly well discredited already. They screwed up in 2016 and appear to have learned nothing. I can only scratch my head as to why they cant just defeat him through normal politics. The Dems consistently out poll the GOP in the popular vote it should be fairly straightforward.
  • Options

All Labour needs to do is put out some comms explaining how much Sunak's own family would (theoretically) gain from the move. It will be very easy for them to portray the policy as motivated by personal gain and link it back to the PM's own wealth and privilege, which are negatives for him. The world has changed since 2010 - we now live in a world of food banks and stunted children - and I don't think a tax giveaway targeting the rich is the killer move the Tories think it is. Still, they are welcome to try.
  • Options
    Units? I am happy to use both systems.

Watt Hours per Mile AND Miles per Kilowatt Hour...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Swingback seems very much a factor in Presidential polling. Most Presidents get poor approval and a drubbing mid term, then re-elected, with Trump the obvious recent exception.
  • Options
    Time to hit the Boxing Day sales.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

waste of time

If he really wanted to help struggling families a big cut in fuel duty would help a lot.
    That won't help me as we have hybrids/full electrics.
  • Options

All Labour needs to do is put out some comms explaining how much Sunak's own family would (theoretically) gain from the move. It will be very easy for them to portray the policy as motivated by personal gain and link it back to the PM's own wealth and privilege, which are negatives for him. The world has changed since 2010 - we now live in a world of food banks and stunted children - and I don't think a tax giveaway targeting the rich is the killer move the Tories think it is. Still, they are welcome to try.
    Au contraire. Wealth is no longer the simple predictor of voting intention that it was. Put up a list of lefty lawyer, bankers, charity heads, FTSE CEOs and run them in the Red Wall with the word London. Play your cards right and you could be on Tik Tok.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

Odious is in this case an objective assessment - on the part of independent voters.

Also #Trumpsmells.
  • Options

24 hours late, actually...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

24 hours late, actually...
    John Lewis wasn't open yesterday.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Swingback seems very much a factor in Presidential polling. Most Presidents get poor approval and a drubbing mid term, then re-elected, with Trump the obvious recent exception.
    Biden didnt get a drubbing in the Mid Terms, but keeping Trump centre stage appears to be part of his strategy.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Boy, food banks started under Blair. They expanded under every PM until at least Cameron and probably since him too. Given that covers boom, bust, slow recovery, pandemic, and now, that implies policy is having minimal impact on their proliferation.
  • Options

In what way have they 'rwisted the legal system' ?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687

LOL

Magnum

Jeroboam

Methuselah

Salmanazar

Balthaza

Nebuchadnezzar

They didn't ask me.

There was some discussion of it on here at the time, which is when I added my vote to the 98.7%.

Easily missed though.

You'd think JRM would have been able to drum up more than 403 votes for Imperial from the 'Silent Majority'.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

LOL

Magnum

Jeroboam

Methuselah

Salmanazar

Balthaza

Nebuchadnezzar

They didn't ask me.

There was some discussion of it on here at the time, which is when I added my vote to the 98.7%.

Easily missed though.

You'd think JRM would have been able to drum up more than 403 votes for Imperial from the 'Silent Majority'.
    I am hoping the government announce a consultation on keeping cash.

That will go badly for the Luddites.

Really must dash now.
  • Options

Au contraire. Wealth is no longer the simple predictor of voting intention that it was. Put up a list of lefty lawyer, bankers, charity heads, FTSE CEOs and run them in the Red Wall with the word London. Play your cards right and you could be on Tik Tok.

I don't really understand any of that, sorry... Are there a lot of lefty FTSE CEOs?
  • Options

LOL

Magnum

Jeroboam

Methuselah

Salmanazar

Balthaza

Nebuchadnezzar

They didn't ask me.

Easily missed though.

Really must dash now.
    I gave my son who is totally anti cash a Northern Ireland £20 note. Double whammy
  • Options

LOL

Magnum

Jeroboam

Methuselah

Salmanazar

Balthaza

Nebuchadnezzar

They didn't ask me.

Easily missed though.

Really must dash now.
    I gave my son who is totally anti cash a Northern Ireland £20 note. Double whammy
    Give him Scottish notes with otters on them, he will love cash after that.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Good morning everyone.

I have always worked in metric, and have seen doses written 1000 times too strong (mg where mcg was correct). Most prescribing errors in dosage seem to be from miscalculating doses based on weight, or calculating dosage from solutions marked as percentages.

As such I am one of the few Britons who weighs themselves in kg rather than stones. Stones are an interesting anachronism, as seemingly only used for weighing people. No one buys a stone of potatoes or of rice etc.
    I've switched to weighing myself in kg - subtraction in stones and lbs is a right pain. (I use roll-on scales and have to take the weight of the wheelchair off.)
  • Options

LOL

Magnum

Jeroboam

Methuselah

Salmanazar

Balthaza

Nebuchadnezzar

They didn't ask me.

Easily missed though.

Really must dash now.
    #FeeltheBurns...
  • Options

LOL

Magnum

Jeroboam

Methuselah

Salmanazar

Balthaza

Nebuchadnezzar

They didn't ask me.

Easily missed though.

Really must dash now.
    Cash is too serious an issue to be left to the Scots
  • Options

LOL

Magnum

Jeroboam

Methuselah

Salmanazar

Balthaza

Nebuchadnezzar

They didn't ask me.

Easily missed though.

Really must dash now.
    Cash is too serious an issue to be left to the Scots
    Incoming from both Anabobazina and Malc in 3...2...1...
  • Options
    One of Korea's biggest stars.

Actor Lee Sun-kyun found dead amid investigation into drug use allegations
    https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=365886
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,639

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Maybe, but the shit will only engage with his fans when the campaign starts next year. The Dems are doing their usual raise the ante to hope they can discredit a man who is fairly well discredited already. They screwed up in 2016 and appear to have learned nothing. I can only scratch my head as to why they cant just defeat him through normal politics. The Dems consistently out poll the GOP in the popular vote it should be fairly straightforward.
    So, who do you want to win? Trump or the Dem nominee (Biden or whoever)?
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Foxy said:

Good morning everyone.

I've switched to weighing myself in kg - subtraction in stones and lbs is a right pain. (I use roll-on scales and have to take the weight of the wheelchair off.)
    Oddly, despite my slight preference for imperial in many things, I actually weigh myself in kilos too, simply because that's the system the gym weighing machine uses.
  • Options

Good morning everyone.

There is a oft-repeated tale in our family of my niece, when young, confusing Tsp and Tbsp in a recipe, and producing some "chocolate" truffles that would more accurately be described as "butter" truffles.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

In what way have they 'rwisted the legal system' ?
    By expecting the law to be enforced against insurrectionists.
  • Options
    Back on topic, the issue for independent voters is what their priorities are? It is clear that the economy isn't working for a lot of voters and Trump sings compelling siren songs about what he would do. If its still the economy stupid, that could push it for Trump.

Alternatively, if they are independent it is because they aren't taking the party line of either monolith. I would anticipate that some of the "who we are" issues would come into play.

All may be academic if Trump's exclusion under the 14th is upheld...
  • Options
    Speaking of Trump, John Cleese has been upsetting Trumpites:

Five ways that Hitler was preferable to Trump

1. He fought for his country
    2. He never used a teleprompter
    3. He was nice to dogs
    4. He wrote his own books
    5. He never played golf
    6. He wasn't a big fat slob

Five ways Trump is preferable to Hitler

1. He doesn't practice genocide
    2. He has nicer hair

https://twitter.com/JohnCleese/status/1739815081951850568

The replies are something else...
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Rishi Sunak (net worth £730m) announces he’s going to abolish inheritance tax?

I can’t see any way that could possibly go wrong for him.

Yes, it would be another disastrous policy decision. There are far better ways of reducing the tax burden than abolishing a tax that only a few percent of people actually pay.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

waste of time

Petrol is roughly the same price now as it was 11 years ago, what's the problem here?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

waste of time

Petrol is roughly the same price now as it was 11 years ago, what's the problem here?
    Everything else has become more expensive.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    ydoethur said:

3. He was nice to dogs
    5. He never played golf

2. He has nicer hair

I would disagree on the hair, but not practicing genocide seems a definite Trump win.

And Hitler didn't fight for his own country.
  • Options

waste of time

At which point there'd effectively be a flat rate of 32% for Income Tax and NI for workers.

Poor pensioners like me of course would be seeing a huge increase from 20% to 30% at £50k. Shocking.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

3. He was nice to dogs
    5. He never played golf

2. He has nicer hair

I would disagree on the hair, but not practicing genocide seems a definite Trump win.
    The point is most people don't seem to realise it's a joke...

(Although actually, Cleese is wrong on 4. Hitler dictated, no pun intended, Mein Kampf and large parts of it may have been altered by his scribe.

Just imagine how much worse the original could have been...)
  • Options

waste of time

The first priority should be to increase the personal allowance to £20,000pa 👍
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

3. He was nice to dogs
    5. He never played golf

1. He doesn't practice genocide yet
    2. He has nicer hair

Just wait till it occurs to him as a, er, solution to something.
  • Options

waste of time

And end the Allowance clawback
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,641
    edited December 2023
    RobD said:

Rishi Sunak (net worth £730m) announces he’s going to abolish inheritance tax?

I can’t see any way that could possibly go wrong for him.

Yes, it would be another disastrous policy decision. There are far better ways of reducing the tax burden than abolishing a tax that only a few percent of people actually pay.
    The attractive thing about abolishing IHT is that it’s quite cheap to do. A few billion a year, easily paid for through a bit of fiscal drag. It’s also an unpopular tax, for some reason. So I think something like this will happen.

If it were me I’d reduce the rate to 20% and restrict some of the reliefs.

One thing they’d almost certainly do if they abolish IHT completely is remove the CGT step up for inherited assets.
  • Options

LOL

Magnum

Jeroboam

Methuselah

Salmanazar

Balthazar

Nebuchadnezzar

It's not champagne as such that will be allowed to be sold in 568 ml bottles, and I doubt whether champagne producers have any desire to do so both for the reasons you state, plus producing for much bigger markets, but all still and sparkling wine - expect 568 ml bottles of the cheaper plonk to appear in the supermarkets.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906

ydoethur said:

waste of time

Total cost of fuel duty freeze so far is over £80 billion.
  • Options
    Richardr said:

LOL

Magnum

Jeroboam

Methuselah

Salmanazar

Balthazar

Nebuchadnezzar

It's not champagne as such that will be allowed to be sold in 568 ml bottles, and I doubt whether champagne producers have any desire to do so both for the reasons you state, plus producing for much bigger markets, but all still and sparkling wine - expect 568 ml bottles of the cheaper plonk to appear in the supermarkets.
    That would be better than 75 or 25cl, but I still wish they would produce proper half bottles again.

Those were just perfect for a single person. Enough to have a nice drink, but not to either drink too much or see much of it go off.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

waste of time

And end the Allowance clawback
    Absolutely correct. There should be no effective 60% rate between £100k and £125k.

Maybe instead we have:
    PA £20,000 and everyone gets a PA
    20% on next £50,000 ie £20k to £50k
    40% on further £50,000 ie £70 to £120k
    50% beyond £120k

• Options

But it highlights what I suspect will be a theme- the stuff we blamed Brussels for will continue to happen because, overall, it's preferable to the alternatives.

Which if it happens democratically is not a problem whatsoever.

The problem with Brussels is the lack of democracy and accountability, not that all decisions made were bad.

Democracy is preferable to the alternative.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    edited December 2023
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

3. He was nice to dogs
    5. He never played golf

2. He has nicer hair

The point is most people don't seem to realise it's a joke...

(Although actually, Cleese is wrong on 4. Hitler dictated, no pun intended, Mein Kampf and large parts of it may have been altered by his scribe.

Just imagine how much worse the original could have been...)
    Comedian being comedian, this particular legend being rather good at winding up everyone from time to time.

Trump couldn’t even make the trains run on time. ;)

(I’m sure the far-left also miss the irony that Cleese is also mocking their constantly comparing contemporary figures to Nazis)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,284

LOL

Magnum

Jeroboam

Methuselah

Salmanazar

Balthaza

Nebuchadnezzar

They didn't ask me.

We were all asked; it was up to us whether we replied. I am pleased to be one of the majority :)
  • Options
    FFS:

‘Pint’ size wine stocked on Britain’s shelves for the first time ever thanks to new freedoms from leaving the European Union
    Still and sparkling wine to be sold in 200ml, 500ml and 568ml ‘pint’ sizes in 2024
    900 British vineyards set to benefit across the country from new freedoms

Minister for Enterprise, Markets and Small Business Kevin Hollinrake said:
    "Innovation, freedom and choice – that’s what today’s announcement gives to producers and consumers alike.

Our exit from the EU was all about moments just like this, where we can seize new opportunities and provide a real boost to our great British wineries and further growing the economy."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/pints-of-wine-stocked-on-britains-shelves-for-the-first-time-ever
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

waste of time

Oh god, you're still banging this dumb drum?

Everyone who isn't barking mad knows that drivers are utterly fleeced in taxation, while public transport is heavily subsidised, but still not popular anywhere the roads are remotely functional despite that.

Lets end duties and subsidies and go to true user-pays level of expenditure for the roads and rails, see what happens then . . . 🤦‍♂️
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    edited December 2023

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Boy, food banks started under Blair. They expanded under every PM until at least Cameron and probably since him too. Given that covers boom, bust, slow recovery, pandemic, and now, that implies policy is having minimal impact on their proliferation.

It's everything to do with available money - and an awful lot of people are finding that they have a lot of month left when the money has ran out.

In many cases it's actually nearly all the month speaking to people I know who volunteer at Foodbanks

And something definitely started to go wrong as soon as the coalition policies started to take effect - Can't however say whether it was austerity or DWP starting to sanction people given kick off point.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,284
    Foxy said:

Good morning everyone.

They don’t even buy a stone of stones
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Richardr said:

LOL

Magnum

Jeroboam

Methuselah

Salmanazar

Balthazar

Nebuchadnezzar

That would be better than 75 or 25cl, but I still wish they would produce proper half bottles again.

Those were just perfect for a single person. Enough to have a nice drink, but not to either drink too much or see much of it go off.
    The return of the pint bottle was triggered by a campaign from Mark Driver at Rathfinny wine estate in East Sussex, as he thought this would be a good marketing opportunity. Not his first such campaign: he led the push for a “Sussex” wine PDO.

I’m sure Rathfinny will sell pint bottles of sparkling. Or rather they’ll probably keep selling in 50cl bottles, which he calls the “modern pint”. Why go to the expense of a new bottle size for a very limited market when you’re already selling at 50.

I think the take up beyond that will be very limited. Similar to the existing market for 50cl bottles, which are used for some sweet and fortified wines.
  • Options

FFS:

‘Pint’ size wine stocked on Britain’s shelves for the first time ever thanks to new freedoms from leaving the European Union
    Still and sparkling wine to be sold in 200ml, 500ml and 568ml ‘pint’ sizes in 2024
    900 British vineyards set to benefit across the country from new freedoms

Minister for Enterprise, Markets and Small Business Kevin Hollinrake said:
    "Innovation, freedom and choice – that’s what today’s announcement gives to producers and consumers alike.

Our exit from the EU was all about moments just like this, where we can seize new opportunities and provide a real boost to our great British wineries and further growing the economy."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/pints-of-wine-stocked-on-britains-shelves-for-the-first-time-ever

How about letting manufacturers choose what size bottle they want, so long as it is clearly and accurately labelled as such?

Why does it need to be 200, 500, 568 or 700?

If someone wants to sell a bottle in 420ml then so long as it clearly says 420ml then why should that be verboten? Or any other number, just make clear what it is and let the consumer decide.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

waste of time

Oh god, you're still banging this dumb drum?

Everyone who isn't barking mad knows that drivers are utterly fleeced in taxation, while public transport is heavily subsidised, but still not popular anywhere the roads are remotely functional despite that.

Lets end duties and subsidies and go to true user-pays level of expenditure for the roads and rails, see what happens then . . . 🤦‍♂️
    Notable how much more expensive fuel is here in France now. I used to wait to fill up until I’d crossed the channel. Now I stock up in Blighty before a France trip.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    Richardr said:

LOL

Magnum

Jeroboam

Methuselah

Salmanazar

Balthazar

Nebuchadnezzar

Given that the only market it impacts is the UK, as you say it's going to be the cheaper product that is imported into the UK and then bottled in the UK (I think that's probably everything under £10) where the smaller bottle may be used instead,

Reality is I suspect no company will use it because it ain't worth the hassle...
  • Options

LOL

Magnum

Jeroboam

Methuselah

Salmanazar

Balthaza

Nebuchadnezzar

They didn't ask me.

That's always been allowed:

https://metricviews.uk/2017/06/01/pint-sized-beer-and-cider-in-british-shops/
This discussion has been closed.