Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Just 38% of GE2019 CON voters are certain to do the same next time – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited December 2023 in General
imageJust 38% of GE2019 CON voters are certain to do the same next time – politicalbetting.com

The above is from the dataset of YouGov’s latest national voting poll for the Times and the group I focus upon are the responses to the second set of data. This shows the responses when the don’t knows are included.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,543
    First?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148
    So near and yet so far from first
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,976
    First like Rishi...
  • Options
    If I read the sub sets correctly the latest YouGov has 84% of remainers voting for Reform, so I think something may have gone awry.

https://ygo-assets-websites-editorial-emea.yougov.net/documents/TheTimes_VI_231213_W.pdf

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,820
    FPT

...On immigration and wages. Because of a world wide shortage of degreed and qualified white collar professionals (Doctors etc), there is no practical level of immigration that can reduce wages...

It's almost like - bear with me here - it would be a better idea to train up the locals instead of continually trying to import people to do the job. I know! Amazing! What a wacky idea!
  • Options
    Also of interest are the figures for the LibDems, where just 41% of their 2019 voters are committed to voting for them again, with 31% going to Labour. And yet, they keep winning elections, which is what really counts.

I can only think of three explanations: the polls are wrong; all their victories are merely local protest votes; or there is a massive level of tactical voting in favour of whoever will beat the Tories.

If it is the latter, we could be looking at an outcome for the Tories that is far, far worse than the seat forecasts are predicting.
  • Options
    Of course the actual percentage is even lower because a material number of 2019 Con voters will be dead.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    What were the splits for 2019 Tories this time in 2021?
  • Options

Also of interest are the figures for the LibDems, where just 41% of their 2019 voters are committed to voting for them again, with 31% going to Labour. And yet, they keep winning elections, which is what really counts.

I can only think of three explanations: the polls are wrong; all their victories are merely local protest votes; or there is a massive level of tactical voting in favour of whoever will beat the Tories.

If it is the latter, we could be looking at an outcome for the Tories that is far, far worse than the seat forecasts are predicting.

What would the polls look like if the options in the same voting intention question were the named parties, plus anti-Labour, anti-Tory?

I suspect something like

anti-Tory 30
    Labour 20
    Tory 15
    anti-Labour 10
    refUK 5
    LD 5
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,820

Of course the actual percentage is even lower because a material number of 2019 Con voters will be dead.

It's a good point. What about the number of 2019 non-voters/voters-for-other-parties will be CON this time?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    algarkirk said:

If I read the sub sets correctly the latest YouGov has 84% of remainers voting for Reform, so I think something may have gone awry.

https://ygo-assets-websites-editorial-emea.yougov.net/documents/TheTimes_VI_231213_W.pdf

Ha yes. I wonder what that % would actually be? Single digits surely.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

Its 1% in the following table for GE tomorrow.
  • Options
    Whereas 41% of 2019 Lib Dem voters are likely to stick with their team ...

However, they'll do a lot better than the Tories because of anti-Con tactical voting. Still, it's a castle built on sand.
  • Options
    isam said:

What were the splits for 2019 Tories this time in 2021?

It was

52 Con 20 DK in Dec 21

In Jun 22 it was 50 20
    In Jun 21 it was 71 13

Now it’s 38 24

2019 Tory to Reform over that period

5,5,9 and now 16

• Options
    kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

If you look at the table below (the one including DKs etc), then it's 1% - so either 1 or 2% with DKs etc stripped out.

RefUK nearly second place with Leavers though -

Con 40
    Lab 26
    RefUK 24
    LD 5
  • Options
    viewcode said:

It's a good point. What about the number of 2019 non-voters/voters-for-other-parties will be CON this time?
    Minimal.

- Lower turnout.
    - Little incentive to back Con in 2024 that didn't exist in 2019.
    - Very low support among first-time qualified (either immigrant or under-23s)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,681

However, they'll do a lot better than the Tories because of anti-Con tactical voting. Still, it's a castle built on sand.

No, I just think that LD voters are realistic enough to know that in many seats they will not win. Its not flakey LDs is the baleful effects of FPTP.

When we have proportional voting the LD (and Green) Votes are more solid.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2023
    So Piers Morgan knew his journalists were phone hacking....blow me down with a feather.

Its like the Mirror made NOTW look like amateurs at this stuff, but strangely none of the media were interested when the phone hacking scandal exploded.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,645

I think there is always a high degree of churn in Lib Dem VI because few people are core Lib Dems. Most people vote for them for tactical reasons or based on specific single issues, or just as a protest. Mush as I'd love that not to be the case, it is.

In 2019 a lot of people switched to LD because of the Brexit issue and as an alternative to Corbyn, but voted in the wrong places. That said we did see a lot of second places across the South which make a good foundation for this election. This time I think the party will lose a lot of voters who had been motivated by Brexit or put off Labour by Corbyn, but will gain a lot more tactical Labour-inclined voters, as well as wavering Tories no longer scared of letting Corbyn in.

So I don't think Lib Dem support is a house built on sand per se, more it's a ship floating on the ocean currents, sometimes drifting one way or the other, sometimes up on the crest of a particular wave and at other times in the trough between seas.
  • Options

I think at this point anti-Con votes are more like concrete rather than sand for the next GE. People have had enough, we are the biggest voting group and will be the most reliable. There is little enthusiasm even for pro-Labour or the minor parties either.

Not reliable for any GEs beyond the next one, but reliable enough for this one.
  • Options
    Rishi Sunak is absolutely crap at politics.

Who would you decide to give so much air time to immigration when you've failed on it for thirteen years?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,430
    viewcode said:

FPT

...On immigration and wages. Because of a world wide shortage of degreed and qualified white collar professionals (Doctors etc), there is no practical level of immigration that can reduce wages...

It's almost like - bear with me here - it would be a better idea to train up the locals instead of continually trying to import people to do the job. I know! Amazing! What a wacky idea!
    I’ve long advocated increasing the number of training places (university and otherwise) to match the planned requirements of the NHS.

They have planned levels of staffing years in advance. IIRC those estimates have always been on the low side as well.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

viewcode said:

FPT

I’ve long advocated increasing the number of training places (university and otherwise) to match the planned requirements of the NHS.

They have planned levels of staffing years in advance. IIRC those estimates have always been on the low side as well.
    It isn't like traditionally medical courses aren't massive oversubscribed unlike say engineering where there are shortages but unis struggle to fill all places. So lots of demand, crazy not to have the supply.

One big mistake government made when they changed uni fees, they could have come up with a scheme to offset or discount fees against years then served in NHS.
  • Options

So Piers Morgan knew his journalists were phone hacking....blow me down with a feather.

Its like the Mirror made NOTW look like amateurs at this stuff, but strangely none of the media were interested when the phone hacking scandal exploded.

It is surely time for those execs to do some self reflection.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

The Lib Dems doing much better in local elections than their national poll rating has been a feature of politics for decades.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,020
    The interesting figures there are 24% of 2019 Conservative voters don't know and 16% Reform to only 10% now Labour
  • Options

The only paper who even considered wider phone "hacking" and what i would call proper hacking was the Independent. Lots of stories that these practices were used for much more serious things than snooping on who was shagging who.
  • Options

viewcode said:

FPT

It isn't like traditionally medical courses aren't massive oversubscribed unlike say engineering where there are shortages but unis struggle to fill all places. So lots of demand, crazy not to have the supply.

One big mistake government made when they changed uni fees, they could have come up with a scheme to offset or discount fees against years then served in NHS.
    Because of the lockdown comedy about A levels, some of the university medical courses expanded by 25% - but no full corresponding increase in training place post uni was done, I believe.

I’ve also long advocated that for medics and teachers, student fees should be paid off over several years. With all payments while working in the designated profession handled as well.
  • Options

Who would you decide to give so much air time to immigration when you've failed on it for thirteen years?

And when the other side are now associating lower migration with higher wages anyway

• Options
    The other question is how much churn there will be between voting and not voting.

There's a decent slice of the electorate that never votes- a lot of the success of 2016 and 2019 was motivating them to vote for the first time. There's decent anecdotal evidence that many of them won't vote this time.

But also- how many disillousioned Conservative wets will just sit this one out? And how many Labour wets who couldn't bring themselves to vote for Angry Jez will be happy enough to turn out for Boring Old Starmer?

Blooming hard to poll for, I suspect, but it's one of the things that drives election results.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

viewcode said:

FPT

Because of the lockdown comedy about A levels, some of the university medical courses expanded by 25% - but no full corresponding increase in training place post uni was done, I believe.

I’ve also long advocated that for medics and teachers, student fees should be paid off over several years. With all payments while working in the designated profession handled as well.
    The other upside, its would actually a pay increease for uk trained medics as they won't be paying the 9% on their income above £25k (or whatever the threshold for loan repayments is these days) for rest of their lives
  • Options
    What do the polling companies do with didnt vote at 2019? Do they check whether they have voted previously to get their weightings?

Given last time around the choice was essentially Boris v Corbyn I suspect a chunk of regular voters sat that one out, but will be back for this one.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

No, I just think that LD voters are realistic enough to know that in many seats they will not win. Its not flakey LDs is the baleful effects of FPTP.

Not really. The Lib Dems frequently polled 20%+ from 1981-2010, and again in 2019. It's not FPTP that's stopping people returning to the party they actually voted for at the last general election.

Actually, it's not true about PR delivering from the Lib Dems. It certainly benefits the Greens and the likes of UKIP / Reform, but in elections for the Welsh / Scottish devolved parliaments, the Lib Dems don't do any better than their Westminster shares.
  • Options

The only paper who even considered wider phone "hacking" and what i would call proper hacking was the Independent. Lots of stories that these practices were used for much more serious things than snooping on who was shagging who.
    It is another “too big to fail” problem.

Everyone in journalism was using the “hack*” the provide corroboration for stories. The Guardian printed a story saying that they had used it - but only against bad people

*The so called hack was simply that the default password for mobile phone voice messages was set to a single value by several networks.
  • Options

I think at this point anti-Con votes are more like concrete rather than sand for the next GE. People have had enough, we are the biggest voting group and will be the most reliable. There is little enthusiasm even for pro-Labour or the minor parties either.

Yes, I'd agree with that. But parties really ought to build a long-term strategy that looks beyond the end of next year.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Everyone in journalism was using the “hack*” the provide corroboration for stories. The Guardian printed a story saying that they had used it - but only against bad people

*The so called hack was simply that the default password for mobile phone voice messages was set to a single value by several networks.
    Well Opetation Motorman showed no paper was clean. After thr plod talked to the editors, the difference seemed to be NOTW & Mirror doubled down, the likes of the Mail stayed clear.

The only against the bad people....always makes me chuckle when the BBC and Guardian use hacked / stolen info provided by bad actors, but get very sniffy about others doing the same.
  • Options

Yes, I'd agree with that. But parties really ought to build a long-term strategy that looks beyond the end of next year.
    In a two party state where the governing party has chosen to consider strategy as how to get the best headline in our client press tomorrow and will change direction and even leaders multiple times a term, it is not easy for the opposition to do that. Far simpler just to keep fairly quiet and laugh at the self implosion.
  • Options

If Prince Harry's (or any royal) phone was hacked in this manner, then as per last thread, we have to wonder what those in charge of security were playing at.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

Its 1% in the following table for GE tomorrow.
    Wow, so low. You can't get lower and still be single digits. Whereas the Leaver % for RUK is right up there at 24%. There's the R/L schism right there. It's still a big one and it's still politically relevant. Will the RUK vote at the GE live up to their polling? This is one of the burning questions for us pundits and bettors on here.

So we're talking about a tenth of the electorate for RUK, perhaps more, and all of them are Leavers. These are our Deplorables. Eg whenever there's a UK survey on Donald Trump you get 12% or so who "really like" him. That's these people. Positively wanted a No Deal Brexit? That was about 12% too. Same ones. Pity the polls are anonymous, otherwise we could have some names and addresses.

Before anyone accuses me of smearing Leavers with offensive generalisations, I'd like to be clear about what the above state of affairs also means. It means that three quarters of Leavers, a clear clear majority, are not deplorable. Well they might be, but not in this sense.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

If Prince Harry's (or any royal) phone was hacked in this manner, then as per last thread, we have to wonder what those in charge of security were playing at.
    I always said the Chinese & Russians must have pissed themselves about how virtually all VIPs had zero security at that time.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    I love how “phone hacking” sounds like Tom Cruise on a wire hanging over a computer terminal in Mission Impossible whereas it actually involved typing in the default voicemail PIN pre-assigned to all mobiles. Without wishing to victim blame it’s legitimate to ask why it took so many so long to just change their codes?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,193
    Body found in the search for Gaynor Lord

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-67728331
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,653
    I’m doing some work on use of the COVID-19 app versus those who deleted it (with the “pingdemic”) and there’s some polling data available from Savanta. There are differences between Con and Lab voters, Remain and Leave voters, but those differences are tiny compared to the differences between people who voted and people who didn’t vote. Voting vs not voting is a big indicator of other social behaviours, which may indicate that most non-voters are persistent non-voters. I don’t think there’s that much churn there…?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Not really. The Lib Dems frequently polled 20%+ from 1981-2010, and again in 2019. It's not FPTP that's stopping people returning to the party they actually voted for at the last general election.

Actually, it's not true about PR delivering from the Lib Dems. It certainly benefits the Greens and the likes of UKIP / Reform, but in elections for the Welsh / Scottish devolved parliaments, the Lib Dems don't do any better than their Westminster shares.
    They don’t get higher vote share, but they do get more seats. They currently have 15 seats in Westminster which is 2.3% of total, so it would do better under PR so long as it got more than 2.3% vote share.
  • Options
    Looking at the YouGov polling I was struck by something that can be slightly concealed by the figures and easily forgotten. If the reality (who knows) is Lab 44 Tory 22, the most interesting fact is not the 22 point gap - large though it is - it is that if repeated in an election Labour would get double the votes of the Tories - the Tories getting 50% of the Labour vote. In the 2019 Labour disaster the Labour got approx 73.3% of the Tory vote. In 1997 the Tories got 71% of the Labour vote.

No wonder Tory MPs are troubled.
  • Options

Well Opetation Motorman showed no paper was clean. After thr plod talked to the editors, the difference seemed to be NOTW & Mirror doubled down, the likes of the Mail stayed clear.

The only against the bad people....always makes me chuckle when the BBC and Guardian use hacked / stolen info provided by bad actors, but get very sniffy about others doing the same.
    I concur, we really shouldn't treat the likes of Tom Cruise, Sylvester Stallone or Coronation Street actors any differently.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

What do the polling companies do with didnt vote at 2019? Do they check whether they have voted previously to get their weightings?

Given last time around the choice was essentially Boris v Corbyn I suspect a chunk of regular voters sat that one out, but will be back for this one.

Boris did get the most Tory votes since 1992, and more than Thatcher ever got, so not really

I’d have thought turnout will be down myself.

Quite surprising, very surprising in fact, that the PM who won most votes in a GE was Major with 14m, followed by Boris with 13.9. I would have though Thatcher and Blair would be first and second
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

I love how “phone hacking” sounds like Tom Cruise on a wire hanging over a computer terminal in Mission Impossible whereas it actually involved typing in the default voicemail PIN pre-assigned to all mobiles. Without wishing to victim blame it’s legitimate to ask why it took so many so long to just change their codes?

Especially the ones with paid security details. Although we should also ask why the phone companies did not force a pin code change on first use.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    DougSeal said:

We have also had iCloud "hacks" using similar flaws. I am surprised we haven't seen more widespread issues with IoTs, Routers etc*, I bet most people don't change any of the defaults for admin passwords.

* of course online hackers have exploited this, I mean the media etc.
  • Options

In a two party state where the governing party has chosen to consider strategy as how to get the best headline in our client press tomorrow and will change direction and even leaders multiple times a term, it is not easy for the opposition to do that. Far simpler just to keep fairly quiet and laugh at the self implosion.
    And where does that take them once Labour is in power?
  • Options
    isam said:

Boris did get the most Tory votes since 1992, and more than Thatcher ever got, so not really

I agree turnout will be down. But if the polling companies are basing GE24/5 on GE19 voters (which seems to be largely the case from what they publicise and gets reported?) then they are going to be overly favourable to the Tories.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Because they knew from past experience they could remember 1-2-3-4 but weren't confident they could remember anything else.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    viewcode said:

FPT

Although if you do that, then you end up with even fewer people who want to work lower end jobs. Now, if you're Singapore, you regard the fact that all the doctors, lawyers and accountants are Singaporean, while cleaners, nannies, and workers in care homes are immigrants as a success.

But - generally - voters are more supportive of high skilled immigration, than low skilled.
  • Options
    isam said:

And when the other side are now associating lower migration with higher wages anyway

What else can Sunak go on though? He may have failed on immigration but at least there’s a possibility of making it a Labour weakness too. It’s one of the topics where Labour’s lead in polling is lower than most.

Focus on tax? It’s gone up under the Tories
    Economic growth? Labour leads massively on this now
    Public services? Hardly
    Trans and other culture stuff? Too niche
    Net Zero and motorists? They tried that and it didn’t work beyond Uxbridge
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    SKS Fans please explain

Westminster Voting Intention:

LAB: 41% (-5)
    CON: 24% (-1)
    LDM: 13% (+1)
    GRN: 9% (+3)
    RFM: 7% (+3)
    SNP: 3% (-2)

Via @IpsosUK, 1-7 Dec.
    Changes w/ 1-8 Nov
  • Options

The LibDems - in polls - always have very low retention rates. And that's because a large number of LibDem voters are tactical. Come the election, many people who support the Labour Party in Guilford, St Ives, Eastbourne, Twickenham, etc., will decide to vote Yellow.
  • Options

And where does that take them once Labour is in power?
    Hard to tell, but I would say something like:

50% Slightly more competent and significantly more stable version of what we have had for the last couple of decades without the drama and division
    20% Genuinely reforming and positive government, for a bit at least
    15% Overwhelmed by public finances and collapses into squabbles between left and centre left
    15% Something else

Happy to take my chances with that even if its not very impressive.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

FPT

Although if you do that, then you end up with even fewer people who want to work lower end jobs. Now, if you're Singapore, you regard the fact that all the doctors, lawyers and accountants are Singaporean, while cleaners, nannies, and workers in care homes are immigrants as a success.

But - generally - voters are more supportive of high skilled immigration, than low skilled.
    It seems as though Blair & Cameron liked that Singaporean model
  • Options

SKS Fans please explain

Via @IpsosUK, 1-7 Dec.
    Changes w/ 1-8 Nov

17 point Labour lead a year before an election.

How was Corbyn doing a year before 2017 or 2019?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

For a number of years I was a member of a private club in London. Bit like Soho House, but less in the news.

You got quite a few celebrities in there. I demonstrated the “hack” to a few people - using my own voicemail. I was trying to get as many people to change the pin as possible - this was before the scandal hit the news.

The lightbulb moment when they realised that anyone with their phone number…
  • Options
    TimS said:

isam said:

What else can Sunak go on though? He may have failed on immigration but at least there’s a possibility of making it a Labour weakness too. It’s one of the topics where Labour’s lead in polling is lower than most.

Public services? Hardly
    Getting the big calls right on COVID-19? Maybe not…

Trust and probity? Hmmmm… no.

Supporting Ukraine?

Dr Who getting better?
  • Options
    isam said:

Quite surprising, very surprising in fact, that the PM who won most votes in a GE was Major with 14m, followed by Boris with 13.9. I would have though Thatcher and Blair would be first and second
    I think it’s a feature of elections where third parties get squeezed. Thatcher won elections with strong 3rd parties, as did Blair. Major vs Kinnock in 1992 was much more of a third party squeeze. Hence also 2017 and the Corbynites’ much repeated stats on his vote numbers.

Boris actually more surprising than Major, but population had grown significantly since 1992.
  • Options

It's worked out - in general - pretty well for them in Scotland over a very long period of time.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

DougSeal said:

Because they knew from past experience they could remember 1-2-3-4 but weren't confident they could remember anything else.
    It was simpler than that. Most people only ever used their voicemail straight from the phone. The “hack” was using a secondary facility to access your voicemail from *any* phone. You could dial a number (varied by network) and given the phone number and pin access your voicemail.

Most people didn’t know this secondary capability existed. So they never reset the default pin, or even knew it existed.
  • Options

SKS Fans please explain

Via @IpsosUK, 1-7 Dec.
    Changes w/ 1-8 Nov

Looks like a correction to me. 17 points is a massive lead less than a year from an election. Better than anyone else has managed or could manage. Still 22 points ahead with the latest YouGov, who you quoted approvingly in another context early this morning, too. But the ones that don’t follow your narrative don’t count.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The LibDems - in polls - always have very low retention rates. And that's because a large number of LibDem voters are tactical. Come the election, many people who support the Labour Party in Guilford, St Ives, Eastbourne, Twickenham, etc., will decide to vote Yellow.
    True.

The thing is a large number of all parties’ voters are tactical. Lots of Labour voters are voting not Tory. Lots of Conservative voters are voting not socialism.
  • Options

SKS Fans please explain

Via @IpsosUK, 1-7 Dec.
    Changes w/ 1-8 Nov

Absolutely, Keith has so much to learn from the two landslides Jeremy Corbyn won.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

SKS Fans please explain

Via @IpsosUK, 1-7 Dec.
    Changes w/ 1-8 Nov

Looks like a correction to me. 17 points is a massive lead less than a year from an election. Better than anyone else has managed or could manage. Still 22 points ahead with the latest YouGov, who you quoted approvingly in another context early this morning, too. But the ones that don’t follow your narrative don’t count.
    IPSOS are one of the gold standards, if anything I would say Sunak is more screwed than ever. That green score is ludicrous, so on most counts it looks like SKS has successfully re-created the same percentage voteshare Blair did in 1997, i.e. SKS is currently on course to be one of, if not the most successful vote winner for Labour ever.

But he's crap and must resign. Of course.
  • Options
    isam said:

Ahem:

UK population 1992: 57.6m
    UK population 2019: 66.8m

And if you look at the number of people over the age of 65, the growth is even more stark.
  • Options
    TimS said:

isam said:

Public services? Hardly
    I don’t know, he seems hopeless. He’s a bad salesman with a bad product.

Starmer is trying to shove all his Brexit opposition, ‘People’s Vote’ etc, down the memory hole, saying he ‘Voted Remain’ as if he were just a normal punter, and I don’t think members of the public see Rishi as much to do with Leave - I’d never heard of him until about four years ago. So that angle is not going to be much use to him to try and create a wedge.

• Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,193

SKS Fans please explain

Via @IpsosUK, 1-7 Dec.
    Changes w/ 1-8 Nov

Must be the Tory attack ads on "X" having an impact.

And we, here, mocked them !!
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Yes I'm very much looking forward to the left-wing led campaign to close the Mirror, just like they did to the NotW, which will surely begin immediately.
  • Options

SKS Fans please explain

Via @IpsosUK, 1-7 Dec.
    Changes w/ 1-8 Nov

Absolutely, Keith has so much to learn from the two landslides Jeremy Corbyn won.
    Boris did learn from Corbyn 2017, hence his landslide in 2019 with a platform that looked vaguely familiar (40 new hospitals, more broadband and so on).
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Ahem:

And if you look at the number of people over the age of 65, the growth is even more stark.
    Ahem ahem, why didn’t Blair get more than Major then? Why didn’t Cameron, or May?

Also, a lot of the growth in population from 92-19 is based on immigrants and their children, who are not thought of as natural Tories
  • Options

SKS Fans please explain

Via @IpsosUK, 1-7 Dec.
    Changes w/ 1-8 Nov

Boris did learn from Corbyn 2017, hence his landslide in 2019 with a platform that looked vaguely familiar (40 new hospitals, more broadband and so on).
    Jeremy Corbyn - well Andrew Fisher really - had a much better handle on where the country was than mostly anyone else. So it's not a surprise than when he left the 2019 manifesto became nonsensical.
  • Options
    India v England: 19 wickets fall on day two as hosts take control of Test match
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/67724742

It seems our lady cricketers are no more successful than the men.
  • Options
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

FPT

It seems as though Blair & Cameron liked that Singaporean model
    I think there's some truth in that. It's also important to recognise that the British tax and benefits system has extremely high (often close to 100%) marginal tax rates for people at the low end of the economic spectrum.

That means we're actively discouraging people from working, creating demand for immigration.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

DougSeal said:

It was simpler than that. Most people only ever used their voicemail straight from the phone. The “hack” was using a secondary facility to access your voicemail from *any* phone. You could dial a number (varied by network) and given the phone number and pin access your voicemail.

Most people didn’t know this secondary capability existed. So they never reset the default pin, or even knew it existed.
    Why does anyone bother with voice mail when they have text messages ?
    I loathe it, and don't use it.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

I don't think we ever got an explanation for Tessa Jowell's claim that her SMS messages were intercepted, which is a shame as that would have involved real hacking, or the carriers, plod, or security services assistance.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    glw said:

Yes I'm very much looking forward to the left-wing led campaign to close the Mirror, just like they did to the NotW, which will surely begin immediately.
    Bit like the Lozza Fox says a moronic thing on GB News, it must be shut down....the target of the joke has said the same thing repeatedly on twitter, no, no issue....other media outlets have contributors say far worse, no issue.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

Literacy is a factor for some people who prefer to send voice messages.
  • Options
    I am surprised they didn't try and bribe the MNOs since texts are all stored in plain text without any encryption.

It is by far the most insecure digital communication method there is.
  • Options
    Another GOP 'moderate' enabler claiming Trump won't do what he keeps publicly stating he'll do.

Glenn Youngkin praises Trump on economy, downplays ‘dictator’ fears
    https://www.cnbc.com/2023/12/13/glenn-youngkin-praises-trump-on-economy-downplays-dictator-fears.html
    Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin said he will support Donald Trump if he becomes the 2024 Republican presidential nominee.
    Youngkin downplayed critics’ concerns that the former president would seek “retribution” if granted a second term...

I think @Jim_Miller was, at one point, a fan ?

Quite what there is to praise Trump about on the economy is left as an exercise for the reader.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

Same way as most people don't use text messages (i.e. SMS) these days, its iMessage or WhatsApp. At the time, character limitations per message, cost per text on lots of plans etc.

Also, its going full circle, lots of people use WhatsApp voice notes now rather than type messages.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

OK, you've got me there on Prince Harry.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462

Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

My Dad is literate but frequently mis-types stuff, so prefers to leave Whatsapp voice messages. I much prefer receiving texts (I hate listening to answerphone messages), so it's a bit of a stalemate.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,202

See also Gordon Brown re leaks with in opposition and then in power...
  • Options
    glw said:

I don't think we ever got an explanation for Tessa Jowell's claim that her SMS messages were intercepted, which is a shame as that would have involved real hacking, or the carriers, plod, or security services assistance.
    Not necessarily done by big players.

SMS is so insecure that many experts argue that it shouldn’t be used for 2FA - the one where they send you a text with a code to verify a login.

• Options

SKS Fans please explain

Via @IpsosUK, 1-7 Dec.
    Changes w/ 1-8 Nov

Ipsos is the only polling company still undertaking telephone polling I believe.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

SKS Fans please explain

Via @IpsosUK, 1-7 Dec.
    Changes w/ 1-8 Nov

17 point Labour lead a year before an election.

How was Corbyn doing a year before 2017 or 2019?
    A Lab+17 is a (7 points) bigger lead than Corbyn ever got (and Corbyn's two Lab+10 leads were achieved with a maximum Labour share of 33%).

It's also a bigger lead than Miliband or Brown ever managed, or Blair post-Iraq.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

I am surprised they didn't try and bribe the MNOs since texts are all stored in plain text without any encryption.

It is by far the most insecure digital communication method there is.

The Independent at the time ran quite a few stories that started to look at much much more serious things that allegedly were going on at the time. The listening to voice mail was chump level stuff (remember those that got hauled before the courts weren't exactly James Bond types, rather people who the newspapers outsourced what the intern on the gossip columns used to do on their lunch break to try to give them some distance after the plod told them to pack it in).
  • Options
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Ahem:

Ahem ahem, why didn’t Blair get more than Major then? Why didn’t Cameron, or May?

Also, a lot of the growth in population from 92-19 is based on immigrants and their children, who are not thought of as natural Tories
    I agree immigration played a role. (Albeit, it is worth remembering that the biggest growth in the number of Brits - by far - is in the over 65s. They've gone from about 15% of voters to almost 30% in the last 30 years.)

But to your question, I think that's fairly easy to answer.

In 1997, Blair came pretty close to Major's 1992 total, with 13.5m votes vs 14m. And the UK population had only grown 0.5m between those elections. But what really changed in the post Major era was that turnout collapsed. In 1992, it was 77.7%, while in 2001 it was just 59.4%.

When elections are considered a foregone conclusion (2001), or where voters aren't that keen on any of the options (2005), people tend to stay home.

When it's something they really care about (like the Scottish or EU referendums), then turnout can be extremely high.
  • Options

I’m doing some work on use of the COVID-19 app versus those who deleted it (with the “pingdemic”) and there’s some polling data available from Savanta. There are differences between Con and Lab voters, Remain and Leave voters, but those differences are tiny compared to the differences between people who voted and people who didn’t vote. Voting vs not voting is a big indicator of other social behaviours, which may indicate that most non-voters are persistent non-voters. I don’t think there’s that much churn there…?

I've always thought that likelihood to vote is best indicated by did you vote at the last election.
  • Options
    glw said:

The News of the World was closed by Rupert Murdoch immediately after the Milly Dowler revelations (immediately as in the same week).
  • Options
    TimS said:

isam said:

I think it’s a feature of elections where third parties get squeezed. Thatcher won elections with strong 3rd parties, as did Blair. Major vs Kinnock in 1992 was much more of a third party squeeze. Hence also 2017 and the Corbynites’ much repeated stats on his vote numbers.

Boris actually more surprising than Major, but population had grown significantly since 1992.
    Also, the big polling leads enjoyed by Thatcher and Blair meant lower turnouts, I am guessing. A close race means higher turnout and squeezes voters into treating it as a 2 party contest. My guess is Labour wins the next election with a clear polling lead and low turnout and with the Lib Dems recovering in the Blue Wall, hence a relatively low absolute number of votes (which PB Tories will be consoling themselves with in the aftermath).
  • Options
    edited December 2023

glw said:

The News of the World was closed by Rupert Murdoch immediately after the Milly Dowler revelations (immediately as in the same week).
    And the key aspects of that story was a lie by the Guardian.
  • Options

India v England: 19 wickets fall on day two as hosts take control of Test match
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/67724742

It seems our lady cricketers are no more successful than the men.

Short memories. The men's test team had an amazing 18 months, are still the World T20 champions and until recently were World champions of both short formats.
    We are not back in the 1990's chaps.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,408
    edited December 2023

One difficulty is that a lot of investigative journalism does involve sailing close to the wind. For instance, the Telegraph's expenses story that ended several careers and imprisoned a few, was due to their buying data stolen from the parliamentary system. Even Watergate was heavily based on leaked confidential information from Deep Throat.
  • Options
    If the ultimate election occurs, where the Tories get squeezed on both sides, it may be genuinely cataclysmic for them. The Lib Dems are second in a lot of seats in the South, has nobody considered the Tories might really about to be getting fucked?
This discussion has been closed.