Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starmer maintains his solid approval ratings – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,685
edited December 2023 in General
imageStarmer maintains his solid approval ratings – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    first like SKS!
  • Options
    I voted proudly for Keir Starmer and always believed he would be PM even when most didn’t.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,141

I voted proudly for Keir Starmer and always believed he would be PM even when most didn’t.

He’s not yet. He’s still got to get past a rejuvenated Liz Truss who, given Sunak’s ratings, will be back early in the New Year. Mark my words. She’s coming home to No.10.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,141
    Liz Truss remains, overwhelmingly,the most favoured former PM born in the 1970s. It’s just a matter of time before she’s back.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    DougSeal said:

Liz Truss remains, overwhelmingly,the most favoured former PM born in the 1970s. It’s just a matter of time before she’s back.

That post might not age well if Suella gets her way.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,507
    FPT: ydoethur asked: "Are you the last person on the planet who thinks he [George W. Bush] wasn't a complete twat . . ?"

No. "Was it simply Donald Trump’s unprecedented presidency that reversed Bush’s approval rating slide and raised it to 61 percent by early 2018? Even among historians surveyed by C-SPAN in 2021, he rose four places in as many years, now ranking 29th out of 44 presidents. By contrast, Trump landed 41st in the historians’ rankings, and nearly half of Americans polled by the Gallup organization just before he left office predicted that history would rate him as a “poor” president."
    (Links omitted.)
    source: https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/569913-dont-misunderestimate-george-w-bush/

More here: https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/10/20/george-w-bush-hamas-analysis-00122516

Katrina is an interesting example -- which does not support your conclusion. The two states most affected by the hurricane were Louisiana and Mississippi. Louisiana responded by electing Bobby Jindal, who had been part of the Bush administration. One reason for that may have been the somewhat better response by Mississippi, which had a Republican governor, and still does. A poll in Louisiana, shortly after the hurricane hit, blamed state and local Democrats more than Bush for problems with the response.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,237
    A big hit of weed from a Crater420 and one of the Seven Magnificat Antiphons by Arvo Part really puts a new perspective on tings
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited December 2023
    He’s been in positive territory ever since Boris quit. What a gift that was for him

And now he’s making speeches equating mass immigration with low wages.
  • Options
    According to my naan, he is out celebrating with a beer and a korma.
  • Options

According to my naan, he is out celebrating with a beer and a korma.

Beans-on-naan?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,632
    isam said:

He’s been in positive territory ever since Boris quit. What a gift that was for him

By the end of Boris’s time Starmer was giving him a weekly dressing down in PMQs. Sure, he had good material to go on - repeatedly catching him out for lying, and watching while we got half apology after half apology - but that was the time I think Starmer hit his stride in parliament. And Boris was by then a shadow of his former self. Truss then gave him a series of wonderful open goals of course, and the opportunity to start using humour, which he was never able to do with Boris.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169
    from previous thread for Leon
    geoffw said:

Leon said:

"harnessing the hallucinations"

Who is to say this isn't how human cognition works? We just do not know. Two black boxes confronting each other

See Arthur Koestler's The Act of Creation (1964) in which he postulates that inventions occur as the collision of disparate mental matrices (don't ask me to elaborate - I lent the book out 20 years ago and it hasn't been returned)

edit to add: Wikipedia has a useful account:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Act_of_Creation
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    One of the best political pieces I have ever seen was the Daily Show piece on Biden: acceptable under the circumstances.

We really, really need a Starmer equivalent. I can’t see him providing us with entertainment any other way.
  • Options
    isam said:

You keep forgetting Johnson was a very bad man, and a Prime Minister totally out of his depth, due to his venality and his terminal laziness.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169
    Header says "Starmer maintains his solid approval ratings"
    I suppose he does but the graph in the header ends 6 months ago
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307

isam said:

You keep forgetting Johnson was a very bad man, and a Prime Minister totally out of his depth, due to his venality and his terminal laziness.
    He wasn’t a bad man, he was just a very naughty boy.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    DavidL said:

isam said:

He wasn’t a bad man, he was just a very naughty boy.
    Or both
  • Options
    DavidL said:

One of the best political pieces I have ever seen was the Daily Show piece on Biden: acceptable under the circumstances.

We really, really need a Starmer equivalent. I can’t see him providing us with entertainment any other way.

Starmer- he'll have to do.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Yes that’s an odd choice of graphic. Here are his latest R&W ratings from November:

+8%. He was meandering between 5 and 10 in the last months of that graph in the header. So, similar.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    TimS said:

isam said:

By the end of Boris’s time Starmer was giving him a weekly dressing down in PMQs. Sure, he had good material to go on - repeatedly catching him out for lying, and watching while we got half apology after half apology - but that was the time I think Starmer hit his stride in parliament. And Boris was by then a shadow of his former self. Truss then gave him a series of wonderful open goals of course, and the opportunity to start using humour, which he was never able to do with Boris.
    Yes, Boris getting an FPN was the perfect storm for Sir Keir. What made it even better was that Boris didn’t think he’d done anything that bad, if anything wrong at all; the fine was for sitting in his office having some birthday cake, deliberately captured on film by the PMs official photographer. So his attitude made for a great contrast with Starmer’s appalled, pious lawyer schtick.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Here's the latest. Not much has happened since, really.

• Options
    edited December 2023
    DavidL said:

I only saw it fir the first time recently, but Jim Carrey’s Biden impression really is fantastic

https://youtu.be/cmV4N3h_UXo?si=ra7UAgSkztGe49i9

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976
    SKS.
    When you don't have an industrial cleaner a dustpan and brush is much better than living in shit and squalor.
  • Options
    isam said:

Do you approve of these speeches or not?
  • Options
    isam said:

TimS said:

isam said:

Yes, Boris getting an FPN was the perfect storm for Sir Keir. What made it even better was that Boris didn’t think he’d done anything that bad, if anything wrong at all; the fine was for sitting in his office having some birthday cake, deliberately captured on film by the PMs official photographer. So his attitude made for a great contrast with Starmer’s appalled, pious lawyer schtick.
    And now he has a thin skinned, occasionally petulant youngster opposite him who doesn’t really seem to know what he wants to stand for, and doesn’t have the gift of humour. Starmer’s been lucky.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    DougSeal said:

He’s not yet. He’s still got to get past a rejuvenated Liz Truss who, given Sunak’s ratings, will be back early in the New Year. Mark my words. She’s coming home to No.10.
    Screwball's coming home...she's coming home....
  • Options

DavidL said:

There are gradations: he might have to do (worst); then he’ll have to do. Then (best) he’ll do.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,140

isam said:

Tough on speeches. Tough on the causes of speeches.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

geoffw said:

The absolute static nature of the polls is something to behold. People have made their mind up. Sunak and Levido must be tearing their hair out that nothing changes this.

We live in supposedly volatile times - two wars, economic instability, culture wars - yet the polls aren’t moving in the slightest.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,658
    isam said:

TimS said:

isam said:

Boris lied to everyone, most seriously to Parliament. He did this repeatedly. That's why he went.

It wasn't just a birthday cake. It is the moral vacuum at the heart of his being. He is a con artist and uniquely poorly suited to any position in politics. Like any other con artist he got rumbled and skipped town ahead of punishment.
  • Options

geoffw said:

The absolute static nature of the polls is something to behold. People have made their mind up. Sunak and Levido must be tearing their hair out that nothing changes this.

We live in supposedly volatile times - two wars, economic instability, culture wars - yet the polls aren’t moving in the slightest.
    They will move a bit when the election gets announced, and the disengaged voters start to wake up. It could be either direction, but most likely closer. Everyone from press to politicians will talk up a close race.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,794
    isam said:

DavidL said:

I only saw it fir the first time recently, but Jim Carrey’s Biden impression really is fantastic

Jason Sudekis's Biden from 2008 was the best, but I don't think Jason could do it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iyIbbxVzrU
  • Options

The Royal Family
    @RoyalFamily
    The King has visited the Royal Courts of Justice to celebrate the work of the judiciary and its commitment to the rule of law.

====

He's growing on me.

Nicely trolled.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    He's the first serious politician the country has seen for years, They're just getting used to it
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    viewcode said:

isam said:

DavidL said:

Jason Sudekis's Biden from 2008 was the best, but I don't think Jason could do it now.

I think Tina Fey really steals the show.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462

geoffw said:

They could always try governing well.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

DavidL said:

Also the quality of the writing in that sketch is much better than recent US political satire.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543
    edited December 2023
    It's 2029, and Starmer's just won a second GE with a handsome majority.
    And the PB chorus of "gosh, isn't he lucky" continues.

Just as too many on the left underestimated Johnson, too many on the right and in the centre underestimate Starmer. I think.
  • Options

isam said:

Well I agree with him on that. I wouldn’t say I approved of the speech, because he is obviously being insincere & whitewashing his opposition to Brexit (he now says he ‘voted Remain’ which is a bit like Bobby Sands saying he skipped Breakfast)

• Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,940

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

DavidL said:

Also the quality of the writing in that sketch is much better than recent US political satire.
    I rewatched 'Edge of Darkness' during lockdown. Holy cow, is the writing good.
  • Options

Just as too many on the left underestimated Johnson, too many on the right and in the centre underestimate Starmer. I think.

Yes, and I am no fan. I will not be voting Labour.

Starmer does have a ruthlessness in his desire for power that has few equals in recent times, with Johnson being the only one in the same ball park. Both ruthlessly abandoned their previously held positions for no reason other than an electoral strategy.

The amorality of both bothers me, but while Johnson was ahead in superficial charm, Starmer is streets ahead in terms of change management and constructing firm foundations for power. No doubt that errors will be made and political incidents mishandled for such is the nature of politics. It won't be as pointless as the incidents that led to Johnson running away like Sir Robin.

• Options
    Starmer actually has the best odds of being radical because he’s so dull.
  • Options

Keir has been under-estimated since day one. The truth is that he is very good at playing the long game and getting what he wants. He managed to destroy the left.
  • Options
    Just a month to go until Trump potentially has the nomination sewn up.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Starmer does have a ruthlessness in his desire for power that has few equals in recent times, with Johnson being the only one in the same ball park. Both ruthlessly abandoned their previously held positions for no reason other than an electoral strategy.

The amorality of both bothers me, but while Johnson was ahead in superficial charm, Starmer is streets ahead in terms of change management and constructing firm foundations for power. No doubt that errors will be made and political incidents mishandled for such is the nature of politics. It won't be as pointless as the incidents that led to Johnson running away like Sir Robin.

At least some ruthlessness is a prerequisite for winning power.

LBJ was ruthless but initially he won power by accident. But he was bloody good at getting what he wanted when he had it. Civil Rights etc.

Just a late night thought, but I think Starmer may our LBJ. Dull. Uninteresting. But not so born and bred lefty Labour that he can't navigate the Commons and get votes done.

Probably wouldn't have won but for circumstances.

We may find that Starmer's two terms, if they happen, enact changes that set the seal on a generation or more.

But maybe I am biased - he is a fellow Leeds Uni graduate. :smiley:

• Options
    edited December 2023
    isam said:

TimS said:

isam said:

You know your narrative is bollocks so why do you persist with it? Johnson attended multiple illegal events during lockdown. If you believe him that he didn't realise they were parties, you must agree he had no business being Prime Minister.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    Lib Dem hold in Cotswold.
  • Options

isam said:

TimS said:

isam said:

You know your narrative is bollocks so why do you persist with it? Johnson attended multiple illegal events during lockdown. If you believe him that he didn't realise they were parties, you must agree he had no business being Prime Minister.
    Sorry? I said ‘Boris didn’t think he’d done anything that bad, if anything wrong at all’. This is evident; he had the official photographer take pictures of it. He didn’t think it was breaking the rules, hence his lack of contrition. What I think about it is neither here nor there, but those are the facts.
  • Options
    Lib Dem hold in Three Rivers.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,794
    ohnotnow said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

DavidL said:

Yes. Sadly not on iPlayer, at least not now.
  • Options

Foxy said:

At least some ruthlessness is a prerequisite for winning power.

LBJ was ruthless but initially he won power by accident. But he was bloody good at getting what he wanted when he had it. Civil Rights etc.

Just a late night thought, but I think Starmer may our LBJ. Dull. Uninteresting. But not so born and bred lefty Labour that he can't navigate the Commons and get votes done.

Probably wouldn't have won but for circumstances.

We may find that Starmer's two terms, if they happen, enact changes that set the seal on a generation or more.

But maybe I am biased - he is a fellow Leeds Uni graduate. :smiley:

I have never said I thought Sir Keir would be a bad PM. I thought he wouldn’t win because he would care so badly in a campaign vs Boris, but that didn’t mean he was a bad choice, just a stiff personality. Now he is up against Sunak, that barrier is gone. He is obviously ruthless, dedicated and shameless, three things that will probably see him do ok
  • Options
    LBJ had great power, as majority leader of the Senate, and then gave it up to be vice president.
    "Historians Caro and Dallek consider Johnson the most effective Senate majority leader in history. He was unusually proficient at gathering information. One biographer suggests he was "the greatest intelligence gatherer Washington has ever known", discovering exactly where every senator stood on issues, his philosophy and prejudices, his strengths and weaknesses and what it took to get his vote.[65] Robert Baker claimed that Johnson would occasionally send senators on NATO trips to avoid their dissenting votes. . . .

During his tenure as Majority Leader, Johnson did not sign the 1956 Southern Manifesto,[70][71] and shepherded the Civil Rights Acts of 1957 and 1960 to passage—the first civil rights bills to pass Congress since the Enforcement Acts and the Civil Rights Act of 1875 during Reconstruction."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyndon_B._Johnson

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661
    I'm hoping the LDs will get at least 15% at the general election, but not sure how realistic that is. Good results for the party in tonight's by-elections.
  • Options
    slade said:

Surprise of the night - LibDem gain in North Kesteven.

An astonishing surprise. The Conservatives were unopposed last time and the only other time a Lib Dem stood in this ward they got 57 votes.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

ohnotnow said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

DavidL said:

Yes. Sadly not on iPlayer, at least not now.
    One of the truly great Tv shows of 1980s

Just superb at the time.
  • Options

Not sure winning Iowa is the be all and end all.

Haley has NH and S Carolina straight after.
  • Options

I'm not sure a win in Iowa alone is enough to sew the nomination up.

What would be a "nomination sewn up" victory look like?

I think he'd need to get at least 60% of the vote, and with a fractured opposition. So if it was Trump 60%, Hayley 30% and DeSantis 10%, that would not be enough to sew it up for him.

On the other hand, if Trump got 65%, and DeSantis and Hayley were both in the low to mid teens, then that probably would be enough.

The risk to Trump is principally that his opposition coalesces around a single figure. Iowa might well make that happen.
  • Options
    I think all the other local elections are counting tomorrow.
  • Options
    I suppose I should report this, but it will have to wait until I get caught up on other things: According to Wikipedia, Katheen Blanco was governor of Louisiana from "January 12, 2004 – January 14, 2008" and Haley Barbour was governor of Louisiana from "January 13, 2004 – January 10, 2012".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathleen_Blanco
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haley_Barbour

Strange things happen in American politics, especially in Louisiana -- but the state did not have two governors from 2004 to 2008.

I saw another mistake in Wkipedia's Louisiana governor sequence, but will leave that as an exercise for readers. (I hope SSI2 will be kind enough to letter our friends in the UK try to find it.)
  • Options

538 has Trump polling 45% in New Hampshire, with Hayley at around 18%. If a fair number of independents vote - and if Christie (currently polling 13% there) has dropped out the race - then it could be a close run thing.

My gut is that Trump wins Iowa handily, but that Hayley is a clear second.

Trump then wins New Hampshire, but now it's by a relatively small margin, say 50 to 40 with DeSantis essentially out.

Can Trump avoid even debating Hayley if she's running him that close?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

538 has Trump polling 45% in New Hampshire, with Hayley at around 18%. If a fair number of independents vote - and if Christie (currently polling 13% there) has dropped out the race - then it could be a close run thing.

Trump then wins New Hampshire, but now it's by a relatively small margin, say 50 to 40 with DeSantis essentially out.

Endorsements after candidates start dropping out might affect momentum. If the Stop Trump faction are organised they'll try to get everyone lining up behind Haley.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    rcs1000 said:

On that Iowa State poll DeSantis willl be second in Iowa not Trump
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Rather not Haley, apologies
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

That poll is quite old - it dates back six weeks or so.

We've had four polls since then, and none of them have Trump quite so high, with Americans for Prosperity* having Trump on just 44%, with Hayley in second on 17%.

Now, other pollsters have Trump higher than that (albeit one of them in Trafalgar). Still, in the last four Iowa polls, Trump has only exceeded 50% in one of them.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

We've had four polls since then, and none of them have Trump quite so high, with Americans for Prosperity* having Trump on just 44%, with Hayley in second on 17%.

Now, other pollsters have Trump higher than that (albeit one of them in Trafalgar). Still, in the last four Iowa polls, Trump has only exceeded 50% in one of them.

The fieldwork is Dec 8-13. One thing that's interesting is that Ramaswamy and DeSantis both have relatively low negative ratings, with the worst being Christie.

https://www.news.iastate.edu/news/2023/12/14/24caucus-poll4

• Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Andy_JS said:

I'm hoping the LDs will get at least 15% at the general election, but not sure how realistic that is. Good results for the party in tonight's by-elections.

15% is achievable, esp if they get their southern vote out. It probably wont translate into more than 25 seats though
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661

Andy_JS said:

15% is achievable, esp if they get their southern vote out. It probably wont translate into more than 25 seats though
    I'm hoping 35 seats is possible. Maybe they could take a few seats off the SNP in Scotland, such as Ross, Skye and Lochaber.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869
    On Topic YG have SKS at minus 23 (22/45)
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    edited December 2023
    Has PB discussed Sunak's ban on social media for under 16s?

The country would be much better off banning it for over 60s based on the nonsense I see on facebook.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

The fieldwork is Dec 8-13. One thing that's interesting is that Ramaswamy and DeSantis both have relatively low negative ratings, with the worst being Christie.

You wouldn't know who Ramaswamy was unless either he came to the specific place where you happened to be or you'd been watching the debates, like a psycho.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002
    Nigelb said:

Pro_Rata said:

Meanwhile, in "it might be a good thing, but do you really think you're going to make this happen" news,

EXC: Rishi Sunak's government considers crackdown on young teens' social media use 🧵

- Possible legal ban on use of social media by under-16s
    - Consultation to begin as soon as January
    - Currently industry standard is for 13+ on Tik Tok, Instagram, Facebook
    via twseal and me

https://twitter.com/kitty_donaldson/status/1735325201372520899

We're governed by an overbearing 'Tiger Dad'. No TikTok but extra maths. Fuck me, this will do wonders for the future Conservative vote.
    To be fair, I'm sure Rishi flosses.
    Not according to DuraAce - and his wife is a dentist.

He needs scaling and cosmetic bleaching according to Mrs DA.

I'm off to South Africa for Christmas now. Mrs DA, being the sentimental type, wants to see what my boyhood Christmases on my grandfather's farm in the Karoo were like. It's also instructive for the Ukrainians to see a failed state in the unlikely event that they decide to return to Malorussia or the even more unlikely event that the tories win next year's GE.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    slade said:

slade said:

An astonishing surprise. The Conservatives were unopposed last time and the only other time a Lib Dem stood in this ward they got 57 votes.
    Mood is really against the Tories if they're losing in rural lincolnshire to the LDs.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Pro_Rata said:

Meanwhile, in "it might be a good thing, but do you really think you're going to make this happen" news,

EXC: Rishi Sunak's government considers crackdown on young teens' social media use 🧵

via twseal and me

We're governed by an overbearing 'Tiger Dad'. No TikTok but extra maths. Fuck me, this will do wonders for the future Conservative vote.

I'm off to South Africa for Christmas now. Mrs DA, being the sentimental type, wants to see what my boyhood Christmases on my grandfather's farm in the Karoo were like. It's also instructive for the Ukrainians to see a failed state in the unlikely event that they decide to return to Malorussia or the even more unlikely event that the tories win next year's GE.
    "Malorussia"

Jeez, you are a twat at times.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626

DavidL said:

Starmer - mustn't grumble.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031
    Eabhal said:

Has PB discussed Sunak's ban on social media for under 16s?

The country would be much better off banning it for over 60s based on the nonsense I see on facebook.

It's stupid.

But I've pointed out in the past that there seems to be a problem with channels on online games, where kids are getting some (ahem) interesting takes on the world.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

You wouldn't know who Ramaswamy was unless either he came to the specific place where you happened to be or you'd been watching the debates, like a psycho.
    Or you'd laid him on Betfair.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    The great AI debate contd.

..in reality it isn’t, not even comprehending (in any meaningful sense) any of the words that it is using. Hence it remains very easy to get AI to throw up nonsensical or obviously false statements if you play with what you know it will be trawling off its database...

Much if that would also be a true statement about us.
  • Options
    1983: Video wars - BETAMAX versus VHS | The Money Programme
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvpZZ6S18Ms

Seven minutes of tech business nostalgia posted by the BBC last night.
  • Options
    The sponsor of a bill in Florida to let businesses make 16- and 17-year-olds work overnight on a school night or 40+ hours during a school week, just said she filed the bill partly to provide more labor for the tourism industry.
    https://twitter.com/Jason_Garcia/status/1735012274685739313
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Weird, it looks almost identical to a Iowa University poll from early Nov: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/iowa/
  • Options
    One of the guys whose 'evidence' is justification for the Republicans' bogus Biden impeachment enquiry.

IRS WHISTLEBLOWER: *accuses President Biden of influence peddling*

FOX NEWS HOST: Can Republicans prove all that?

IRS WHISTLEBLOWER: ... It's up to their investigation

FOX NEWS: So you're not sure about that question?

IRS GUY: Republicans are conducting the investigation

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1735324928168149318
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

The sponsor of a bill in Florida to let businesses make 16- and 17-year-olds work overnight on a school night or 40+ hours during a school week, just said she filed the bill partly to provide more labor for the tourism industry.

"Make"?

I think you mean "allow".

It's disgraceful that - at a time when they have nothing better to do - teenagers are being barred from working. Good for this State Senator for stepping up.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Starmer - mustn't grumble.
    As opposed to Sunak- how dare you grumble, you ungrateful peasants.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980

On Topic YG have SKS at minus 23 (22/45)

The bitter tears of BJO.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

"Make"?

I think you mean "allow".

It's disgraceful that - at a time when they have nothing better to do - teenagers are being barred from working. Good for this State Senator for stepping up.
    Couple it with Sunak's social media suggestions, and teenagers will have way more time for gainful employment.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,224
    Pulpstar said:

slade said:

slade said:

Mood is really against the Tories if they're losing in rural lincolnshire to the LDs.
    Well, on the ground, we are getting this all over the country,but this really us a pretty extraordinary result. Any local colour?

In actual elections the Lib Dems are winning all over the place, so why are the polls still so poor for them?
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    Pulpstar said:

slade said:

slade said:

How LDs do at the next election is going to be the key factor. This is evidence of a possible pincer movement that could see the Tories almost wiped out.

It's the LD polling figure moving up, rather than that of Reform, that should be bringing them out in a cold sweat.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Pro_Rata said:

via twseal and me

Have fun. The Karoo should be beautiful this time of year.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Cicero said:

Pulpstar said:

slade said:

slade said:

Well, on the ground, we are getting this all over the country,but this really us a pretty extraordinary result. Any local colour?

In actual elections the Lib Dems are winning all over the place, so why are the polls still so poor for them?
    It's all rather under the radar, but the opposite of REFUK, with polling stagnation but electoral success.

Maybe Pack and Davey are masters of targetting. The May locals might be a bit of favourable political news for the party at just the right time
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,224
    ohnotnow said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

DavidL said:

Also the cast!
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Pulpstar said:

slade said:

slade said:

There really isn't much clue in Andrew Teales preview of any particular discontent. Indeed previous councillors were often elected unopposed.

https://twitter.com/andrewteale/status/1735194409497481276?t=m7aZbDBAMA8i9H5JhO4RxQ&s=19
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Pro_Rata said:

via twseal and me

"Malorussia"

Jeez, you are a twat at times.
    A shared taste for the anachronism of Putin, I guess.

The workings of Dura's brain are indeed Byzantine on occasion.
  • Options
    Marketing Company Claims That It Actually Is Listening to Your Phone and Smart Speakers to Target Ads

https://www.404media.co/cmg-cox-media-actually-listening-to-phones-smartspeakers-for-ads-marketing/
    ..“Is this legal? YES- it is totally legal for phones and devices to listen to you. That's because consumers usually give consent when accepting terms and conditions of software updates or app downloads,” the website says.
    Beyond CMG’s website, very little information is available about the capability, including how exactly the data is gathered, be that via a software development kit (SDK) bundled into apps, or via collection at another point. For its part, Apple does alert iPhone users when an app is accessing the device’s microphone with a small icon in the UI.
    The marketing professional pitched by CMG told 404 Media that after a call with the company, they disabled microphone access on much of their own technology: “I immediately removed all my Amazon Echo devices and locked down microphone permissions on things like my phone as receiving confirmation they are doing things like this have confirmed my worst fears and I, for one, will not take part in it,” they said...
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,202
    Your periodic column of the media is skewed to pretty women who aren’t over 40 (ish). Sad case in Norwich extremely reminiscent of the Nicola Bulley affair, yet receiving a fraction of the media interest. Is it because she is in her fifties media? And not a hot young mum?

https://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-67718635
  • Options
    This is one for @Leon . I'm a massive Steven Wilson fan, and I'm amused to see that he has done a Christmas song. But he hasn't written it! Lyrics are by ChatGPT given the instructions:
    "Christmas Song Lyrics in the style of Steven Wilson
    Don't mention Christmas
    Make it feel cold and lonely"

Which he has then written music for. Just to add to the fun, the accompanying animated video is also partly AI:

"AI artwork assets generated by an AI model trained on past SW music video releases and photos of Steven"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQHqxPvzOI8
This discussion has been closed.