Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So Nick versus Nigel is on but it should be on national TV

1235»

Comments

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,216
    edited February 2014

That's funny, all those PCS workers in East Kilbride have voted 'overwhelmingly' to support Yes Scotland.

T'hUD:

Public-sector parasites want the English-Taxpayer to pay for their bennies? No wonder the Scots and other Svens look to Norway as a model/homeland whilst they enjoy their own rapacious consumption of England's wealth....
    The lights are on, somebody is moving around, is there anybody at home?

Oh, it's the cat.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856

That's funny, all those PCS workers in East Kilbride have voted 'overwhelmingly' to support Yes Scotland.

Might be rather more of them than just the EK branch depending on the union meeting tomorrow (though I wonder if Mr Gardham is following the old line of bigging up expectations in the hope something less will happen). I see that Ms Sturgeon and Mr Findlay are booked to speak.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/boost-for-yes-camp-as-trade-union-to-back-independence.23499995
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

T'hUD:

Public-sector parasites want the English-Taxpayer to pay for their bennies? No wonder the Scots and other Svens look to Norway as a model/homeland whilst they enjoy their own rapacious consumption of England's wealth....
    Surely they'd be voting to support No in that case?

• Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited February 2014
    SMukesh said:

What next?Greens vs Raving Loony Party debate on ITV for the May Council elections.

Without the main contenders,this debate is a farce and I am surprised that Farage has humoured Clegg with this attempt at still maintaining his relevance.

Calamity Clegg is toxic. It's neither here nor there that his ostrich faction of spinners just don't get that because, toxic or not, he's the party leader of the other half of the coalition government. He's in power. Little Ed is not. That means it is no more a farce than it would be for the other half of the coalition to debate the main opposition. Sure, labour and the tories have the biggest VI but that still doesn't give them the right to decide what all of the the public thinks is relevant or a farce. It is perfectly possible that Farage could end up winning those EU elections so it's just a bit much to pretend the public won't be interested. They will be. Not all of them obviously, but more than enough to make it worthwhile for any broadcaster who is thinking about running the debate.

Clegg is clearly desperate but that doesn't mean to say this is a bad strategy because regardless of how he comes across it gives Farage a huge spotlight. That further boosts Eurosceptic tories jumping ship from the tories to the kippers. Exactly what Clegg wants in tory lib dem marginal areas where he needs the tory vote to be as low as possible.
  • Options
    More from the mega Mail Survation poll

Was the use of public money for the a White Paper justifiable?
    Yes: 42
    No: 44

Johan Lamont haś said "Scotland is on pause"
    Agree: 45
    Neither: 22
    Disagree: 27

Notably these results were presented by the SNP as: The poll also found that a majority of people expressing an opinion disagreed with Johann Lamont’s repeated claims that Scotland is on pause during the referendum campaign, with just 44.8% backing the Labour leader’s stance, and 48.4% disagreeing or neither agreeing or disagreeing. What they neglect to mention is that 73% of Conservative and 65% of Labour voters do agree.

Will independence make you better or worse of?
    Better: 22
    No dif: 25
    Worse: 38

On the "who should debate Salmond, Con & Lib Dem are for Darling, Labour split Darling/Cameron, with SNP pro Cameron:
    Darling/Cameron
    Con: 64/23
    Lab: 41/47
    LibD: 52/37
    SNP: 17/72

So it's only SNP voters strongly in favour of Salmond vs Cameron - I wonder why?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    SHRIEK!

Day 8 of their Osbornegasm and still no sign of the scottish tory surgers getting it yet.

LOL
  • Options
    Fluffy, we're cracking down on swearing.

So don't call other posters twunts.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054
    Mick_Pork said:

malcolmg said:

Christopher McEleny ‏@Cllr_McEleny 2 hrs
    Jackson Carlaw, Deputy Tory Leader confirms that come a #Yes vote he will be "manning the barricades" for Scotland to keep the £. #indyref

Silly man, has he no been 'telt' by Osballs & Alexander?

Surely there's a difference between 'keeping the pound' and 'being in a currency union' ?
    Well if you want to be picky , even though a fool could understand it.
    Jackson Carlaw, Deputy Tory Leader confirms that come a #Yes vote he will be "manning the barricades" for Scotland to have a sterling currency union ( £ )
    It seems 'a fool' didn't include TUD. ;-)

As is often the case for your brethren (e.g. MickPOrk), you've fapped yourself off by retweeting a non-entity's dribblings, without actually thinking what it means.
    Just spotted your careful and considered opinion Jessie. Perhaps you could explain why laughably out of touch right-wingers (shrieking for over a week now) on an issue you clearly have minimal knowledge of should be taken seriously by anyone? Let alone the scottish public to whom you and the tories are so amusingly toxic.

Go back to cheering on the fop chicken as Farage and Clegg prepare to make the second rate Blair impersonator Cammie look even more cowardly than usual.
    :)
    I'm glad you think it was careful and considered. I shall duly ignore the rest of your post. ;-)
  • Options
    More for McChicken to not understand:

The Scottish Government has proposed increasing immigration levels if Scotland becomes an independent country. To what extent, if at all, does this proposal affect how you are likely to vote in the referendum?

More likely Yes: 12
    No difference: 50
    Less likely vote yes: 38
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited February 2014
    Ishmael_X said:

Have you been absent for the last two years? Fr'Eck says that Scotland - sans independence - East Kilbride/Scotland (8% of the UK population) will still be employed dishing out 20% of all UK bennies.* The fact that Wee-Eck is a credible as a post from Bermondsey (Galwegian-confused) Green shows how much our schools should concentrate on comprehension and not just reading....

* Of course Fr'Eck may be right. I know a few Glaswegian "businessmen" and they (and their cohorts) are probably aware of how to crim' the system....
  • Options
    So nice of Chris Moyles to 'accept' the tax ruling that he tried to avoid £1 million in tax by pretending he was a user car dealer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/26297943
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    I've been watching Election '74 for over 12 hours now.
  • Options

Fluffy, we're cracking down on swearing.

So don't call other posters twunts.

Noted (however justified my original comment)....

• Options
    edited February 2014

Mick_Pork said:

malcolmg said:

Christopher McEleny ‏@Cllr_McEleny 2 hrs
    Jackson Carlaw, Deputy Tory Leader confirms that come a #Yes vote he will be "manning the barricades" for Scotland to keep the £. #indyref

Silly man, has he no been 'telt' by Osballs & Alexander?

Surely there's a difference between 'keeping the pound' and 'being in a currency union' ?
    Well if you want to be picky , even though a fool could understand it.
    Jackson Carlaw, Deputy Tory Leader confirms that come a #Yes vote he will be "manning the barricades" for Scotland to have a sterling currency union ( £ )
    It seems 'a fool' didn't include TUD. ;-)

As is often the case for your brethren (e.g. MickPOrk), you've fapped yourself off by retweeting a non-entity's dribblings, without actually thinking what it means.
    Just spotted your careful and considered opinion Jessie. Perhaps you could explain why laughably out of touch right-wingers (shrieking for over a week now) on an issue you clearly have minimal knowledge of should be taken seriously by anyone? Let alone the scottish public to whom you and the tories are so amusingly toxic.

Go back to cheering on the fop chicken as Farage and Clegg prepare to make the second rate Blair impersonator Cammie look even more cowardly than usual.
    :)
    I'm glad you think it was careful and considered. I shall duly ignore the rest of your post. ;-)
    Your complete ignorance was never in question Jessie. You sealed any doubt as to that with your hilarious assessment of Jackson Carlaw as a non-entity. For if the scottish tories are non-entities what does that make the even more toxic and out of touch PB tories to the scottish public? ;-)
  • Options
    Neil said:

@MBE

I of course wouldnt deny any of them their Irishness...

But the cricketers who qualify tend to do so through residency and are genuinely adopted Irishmen in the end. I think 3 of this team were born overseas. But Rankin and Morgan would probably be in the team if available which might just up the numbers if picking the strongest 11.

27/4

The rails are coming off. I fully accept their Irishness; the need for English recruits is not so pressing. Ireland can keep 'em.

• Options
    To apply the SNP's way of reporting data: Only a minority of Scots (45%) thought Scottish Olympians should be represented by a Scottish team while the majority (55%) did not support the idea

Unlike the SNP, I will break down that 55% - 42.2% no, 12.4% don't know...
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    @MBE

There are enough match winners left to turn this around so I havent given up all hope just yet! I think you already have the pick of our crop anyway ;)
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Carola said:

Is it just my tv that the 1974 tv pictures keep flickering. ;-)

• Options
    edited February 2014
    The obsequious Cameroons had better get used to seeing the fop chicken mocked from now until May. Cowardly Cammie might want to have another think about how this will look to tory kipper waverers.
    David Jack ‏@DJack_Journo 1h

Chicken Ed & Chicken Dave adorning @Nigel_Farage's @twitter profile pic.twitter.com/gQNnTwECLy
    It's quite something when even Calamity Clegg looks braver than the incompetent fop.
  • Options
    More great news for Eck:

The Scottish Government has proposed increasing the level of free childcare if Scotland becomes an independent country. Childcare is a policy that is already currently devolved to the Scottish Parliament. Which of the following statements do you most closely agree with?

Do it now: 44
    Only do it if independent: 15
    Don't do it at all: 22
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

The obsequious Cameroons had better get used to seeing the fop chicken mocked from now until May. Cowardly Cammie might want to have another think about how this will look to tory kipper waverers.

Chicken Ed & Chicken Dave adorning @Nigel_Farage's @twitter profile pic.twitter.com/gQNnTwECLy
    It's quite something when even Calamity Clegg looks braver than the incompetent fop.

Now,now mick,wasn't it you and tim who kept telling us about Cameron banging on about Europe was bad for tories.

• Options

More great news for Eck:

The Scottish Government has proposed increasing the level of free childcare if Scotland becomes an independent country. Childcare is a policy that is already currently devolved to the Scottish Parliament. Which of the following statements do you most closely agree with?

The question did not point out that there is money to do this only if the income tax resulting from the increased entry into the labour market can be regained for the Scpttish budget - which it can't. This is therefore a tendentious poll. In any case, you (a) haven't given the source, and (b) are continuing to personalise/trivialise in the usual sense.

• Options
    Humza Yousaf ‏@HumzaYousaf Feb 19

First poll since George Osborne's intervention gap between Yes & No slashed only 4.5% swing needed for Independence! pic.twitter.com/iCofOrb0ue
    Continue shrieking by all means.

*chortle*
  • Options

The Scottish Government has proposed increasing immigration levels if Scotland becomes an independent country. To what extent, if at all, does this proposal affect how you are likely to vote in the referendum?

No source, so it could be a bedtime story for all we know.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Are you talking about of the blitzed and, a few years ago, still derelict housing areas at the south end, incorporated into he dockyard and used as car parks etc.? That's not really the old dockyard proper, I suppose, but avoids the historic dockyard with conservation as well as pollution issues.

There is a tongue of the town which penetrates to the sea between the two chunks of the dockyard, to where the ferry to the Cornish side ran/runs. It has a railway tunnel under and bridge over between different parts of the dockyard.

I was just asking Neil which parts of the dockyard had been sold - it wasn't on my radar. But as it's not something I look into too much (and only then to sate curiosity) I was wondering if I'd missed anything.

I've just looked on Google Maps, and it looks as though you may be right: the area immediately to the west of Chapel Street has been redeveloped.

I knew about the dockyard bridge over Ferry Road, but not the railway under - I assume it want to somewhere in Morice Town? It's been years since I've been there, and I should go back - even if a visit is mainly to see Brunel's triumph a couple of miles up the Tamar.

So much I want to do, so much I need to learn, so little time to do it in, and such little capital to do it with!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Mick_Pork said:

Humza Yousaf ‏@HumzaYousaf Feb 19

First poll since George Osborne's intervention gap between Yes & No slashed only 4.5% swing needed for Independence! pic.twitter.com/iCofOrb0ue
    Continue shrieking by all means.

*chortle*

yes ,osbornes independence plan is working - lol

• Options
    Carnyx said:

http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Scotland-Issues-Poll-Report.pdf

Earlier post made clear this is the Survation poll.

You seriously thought I was inventing both questions and responses?
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Mick_Pork said:

Now,now mick,wasn't it you and tim who kept telling us about Cameron banging on about Europe was bad for tories.

Of course it is. The Cameroons problem is that it's going to be just a touch difficult to fight a set of EU elections without talking about it. The word impossible springs to mind.

If Cammie really does want to hide behind Clegg then perhaps he should take a moment to consider just how that's going to look to his own angry tory Eurosceptics by forcing Clegg to defend and praise all his EU policies for the coalition. Sometimes it's better to just bite the bullet than cower in fear behind a human shield.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Ishmael_X said:

Have you been absent for the last two years? Fr'Eck says that Scotland - sans independence - East Kilbride/Scotland (8% of the UK population) will still be employed dishing out 20% of all UK bennies.* The fact that Wee-Eck is a credible as a post from Bermondsey (Galwegian-confused) Green shows how much our schools should concentrate on comprehension and not just reading....

* Of course Fr'Eck may be right. I know a few Glaswegian "businessmen" and they (and their cohorts) are probably aware of how to crim' the system....
    So sans means post, and dishing out means receiving? OK.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

More great news for Eck:

continuing to personalise/trivialise in the usual sense.
    If I need lessons in "personalising/trivialising" I think some of your fellow Nationalist posters will serve as fine roll models.....

• Options

Carnyx said:

More great news for Eck:

If I need lessons in "personalising/trivialising" I think some of your fellow Nationalist posters will serve as fine roll models.....

"it'll be fun trolling the Nats"
  • Options
    New thread.
  • Options

Carola said:

They've had trouble with some of the footage.

I wish the coverage was like this now.
  • Options
    Carola said:

Carola said:

They've had trouble with some of the footage.

I wish the coverage was like this now.
    Including the 70s sci-fi studio sets.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

More great news for Eck:

"it'll be fun trolling the Nats"
    You missed a bit out much as it would be fun.....

What do you think of the Survation poll?

Something in there for everyone!
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Carnyx said:

Are you talking about of the blitzed and, a few years ago, still derelict housing areas at the south end, incorporated into he dockyard and used as car parks etc.? That's not really the old dockyard proper, I suppose, but avoids the historic dockyard with conservation as well as pollution issues.

There is a tongue of the town which penetrates to the sea between the two chunks of the dockyard, to where the ferry to the Cornish side ran/runs. It has a railway tunnel under and bridge over between different parts of the dockyard.

I was just asking Neil which parts of the dockyard had been sold - it wasn't on my radar. But as it's not something I look into too much (and only then to sate curiosity) I was wondering if I'd missed anything.

I've just looked on Google Maps, and it looks as though you may be right: the area immediately to the west of Chapel Street has been redeveloped.

I knew about the dockyard bridge over Ferry Road, but not the railway under - I assume it want to somewhere in Morice Town? It's been years since I've been there, and I should go back - even if a visit is mainly to see Brunel's triumph a couple of miles up the Tamar.

So much I want to do, so much I need to learn, so little time to do it in, and such little capital to do it with!
    I know the feelng!

The tunnel was so tightly fitted in that the trains went through a hole in a diagonal in one of the buildings in the southern dockyard just to get into it. It IIRC passes under the tongue going to the ferry and then under the old Gunwharf to come out near the mid-Victorian steam works. It is now I think a road tunnel. This rail line was never part of the main line system but of the Dockyard railway which itself connected to the main line further north at Keyham next to HMS Drake the big accommodation blocks. There is a book 'Plymouth Dockyard Railway' which I treated myself to on my visit as there is so much about the Dockyard's history in it as much as the line.

A Google maps check indeed shows great changes since only a few years ago and new housing in the area between the two yards - can't remember what that used to be. And infill and other work ongoing in the south yard.

• Options

Carnyx said:

http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Scotland-Issues-Poll-Report.pdf

Earlier post made clear this is the Survation poll.

You seriously thought I was inventing both questions and responses?
    Thanks, hadn't seen the earlier questions (but in any case the 'more' was not clear). Anyway, I would have been genuinely surprised if you'd invented it, despite the stuff that some people put on here.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

So sans means post, and dishing out means receiving? OK.
    I would be very surprised if Glasgow criminals were on the same side as Mr Salmond, for a number of reasons.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I know the feelng!

The tunnel was so tightly fitted in that the trains went through a hole in a diagonal in one of the buildings in the southern dockyard just to get into it. It IIRC passes under the tongue going to the ferry and then under the old Gunwharf to come out near the mid-Victorian steam works. It is now I think a road tunnel. This rail line was never part of the main line system but of the Dockyard railway which itself connected to the main line further north at Keyham next to HMS Drake the big accommodation blocks. There is a book 'Plymouth Dockyard Railway' which I treated myself to on my visit as there is so much about the Dockyard's history in it as much as the line.

A Google maps check indeed shows great changes since only a few years ago and new housing in the area between the two yards - can't remember what that used to be. And infill and other work ongoing in the south yard.
    Ah thanks for that. Yet another tunnel I knew nothing about ...

As for the development between the two yards - do you mean the new development in North Corner. If so, I think that was always housing: from GMaps, it appears there's an old puband red-brick municipal-style building.

Ah yes, it was redeveloped in the 2000s:
    http://www.devonportonline.co.uk/millennium_devonport/visiting/north_corner/north_corner.aspx
  • Options

Carnyx said:

I know the feelng!

Ah thanks for that. Yet another tunnel I knew nothing about ...

As for the development between the two yards - do you mean the new development in North Corner. If so, I think that was always housing: from GMaps, it appears there's an old puband red-brick municipal-style building.

Ah yes, it was redeveloped in the 2000s:
    http://www.devonportonline.co.uk/millennium_devonport/visiting/north_corner/north_corner.aspx
    Yes, I am sure I remember zooming over the pub and terracing on that bridge now you remind me!

I'm very glad to have visited when I did.

This discussion has been closed.