Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sweet Swingback’s Baadasssss Song – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    edited December 2023
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

"In 13 weeks, Donald Trump will have locked up the Republican nomination. ."

"The world looks normal right now, but it is not. Forces are in motion that will bring us to a point of national crisis one year from now. We know this as surely as we know that the sun will rise tomorrow.

So why aren’t people acting like it?

I wish I knew."

The Bulwark

In 6 months Trump could be convicted and jailed, who knows
    You keep saying this or something similar.

It 'aint gonna happen.

And even if it does. He runs.

The only way to stop him is a) an unbelievable miracle happens and GOP primary voters swerve in early 2024 to Halley or b) Biden scrapes enough ECV to get home thanks to independents who finally wake up to the prospect of living in a dictatorship.

c) is of course a massive heart attack but only the good die young.

However even if none of that happens and Trump wins, so what? That is American voters choice and we survived him as President before
    He would be much worse next time, because he has explicitly promised he would be, and everyone who stopped at the final line last time about overturning an election will not be given a job next time.

It is one of the more absurd arguments to suggest a) it will no different to before, when he had not tried to ignore the results of an election, and b) that it makes no difference to the world, when who the US President is makes a very big difference to the world. The US President potentially being a convicted criminal unable to even vote for himself in his home state, over charges about trying to obstruct the handover of power, doesn't matter?

It's so absurd it's clearly just contrarianism. It'd make more sense to just support him either for ideological reasons or for the chaos he would bring being a positive, than contrive a reason it's no big deal one way or the other.

That he could legitimately win (even without State legislatures doing the usual american thing of trying to lean on the scales) is true, and it would be their choice, but is not actually relevant to whether a win would have consequences which other nations see as negative. People comment on ours, and we on others, that is fine.
  • Options
    Trump continues to undermine the idea of free elections.

"the elections have been rigged for years"

Crowd love it. Madness.

GOP voters dont want to live in a democracy anymore.

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    29m
    Trump says the elections are “rigged” if he doesn’t win in California, Illinois, and New York.

This is not a sane comment.

https://twitter.com/FrankLuntz
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,325
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

"The world looks normal right now, but it is not. Forces are in motion that will bring us to a point of national crisis one year from now. We know this as surely as we know that the sun will rise tomorrow.

I wish I knew."

The Bulwark

It 'aint gonna happen.

The only way to stop him is a) an unbelievable miracle happens and GOP primary voters swerve in early 2024 to Halley or b) Biden scrapes enough ECV to get home thanks to independents who finally wake up to the prospect of living in a dictatorship.

However even if none of that happens and Trump wins, so what? That is American voters choice and we survived him as President before
    He would be much worse next time, because he has explicitly promised he would be, and everyone who stopped at the final line last time about overturning an election will not be given a job next time.

It is one of the more absurd arguments to suggest a) it will no different to before, when he had not tried to ignore the results of an election, and b) that it makes no difference to the world, when who the US President is makes a very big difference to the world.

It's so absurd it's clearly just contrarianism. It'd make more sense to just support him either for ideological reasons or for the chaos he would bring being a positive, than contrive a reason it's no big deal one way or the other.
    Unless the army support him over the constitution, which they failed to do in January 2021 then yes it is not a major deal.

Policy wise he would largely just do what he did again from 2016 to 2020 anyway
  • Options

Crowd love it. Madness.

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    29m
    Trump says the elections are “rigged” if he doesn’t win in California, Illinois, and New York.

He has previously stated that he won every single state in the last election. I doubt he believes it, I doubt even his cult followers believe that, but they are willing to say it and get violent about insisting it.

He has been quite honest from his first primary run that he regards any election he does not win as rigged. He said as much about how he used to say the primary process was rigged, but he stopped because he won.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,239
    "The World Ahead | Democracy in 2024
    2024 will be stressful for those who care about liberal democracy
    In theory it should be a triumphant year for democracy. In practice it will be the opposite"

https://www.economist.com/the-world-ahead/2023/11/13/2024-will-be-stressful-for-those-who-care-about-liberal-democracy
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    kle4 said:

Crowd love it. Madness.

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    29m

He has previously stated that he won every single state in the last election. I doubt he believes it, I doubt even his cult followers believe that, but they are willing to say it and get violent about insisting it.

He has been quite honest from his first primary run that he regards any election he does not win as rigged. He said as much about how he used to say the primary process was rigged, but he stopped because he won.
    The way Americans count postal votes is almost guaranteed to give fodder to conspiracy theorists. They ought to adopt the same system we have, where all postal votes have to be received by close of voting on polling day, so there isn't a delay between the two types of votes being counted. Having the potential for one winner on the night and another a few days or weeks later isn't a good system imo.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I wish I knew."

The Bulwark

It 'aint gonna happen.

Trump has multiple trials, including multiple criminal trials, over the next few months and there is a significant chance he is convicted in at least one maybe more of them and then given a jail sentence.

He may run still even then but the polling evidence is swing voters would desert him. The GOP establishment may also do a stitch up at the convention to deny him the nomination, he still runs as an independent and hands Biden re election on a plate.

Trump is telling us in clear and direct way what a second term will mean.

If you think the UK and rest of europe will not be massively effected by the end of democracy in America and the election of Trump with his agenda then you are not listening.

It will be biggest geopolitical disaster in our lifetimes.

Sure - we will survive. But the turmoil will be incredible.

• Options
    edited December 2023
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I wish I knew."

The Bulwark

It 'aint gonna happen.

By the time of the trials he already will be miles ahead, the first criminal trial is meant to be the day before Super Tuesday. I think all the other candidates, except Christie, are on the record as intending to support him as candidate even if he is convicted of a criminal offence. They were specifically asked about supporting the nominee in those circumstances. He has been preparing the ground for that since before he was even charged, by hammering home how the charges are phony and the process rigged and political, and every indication is that most GOP voters agree with him about that.

Absent a few lonely polls that some might change their view upon conviction, I don't know why we'd ignore the vast amount of indicators that being convicted really would not make much difference to GOP voter intention.

We should believe what they are telling us, that they want Trump, no matter what. Once he's been chosen, which will happen in practical terms before any potential conviction, I do not believe for a second the base will change its mind.

What counts as a floating voter might, but not them. To believe otherwise is just wishful thinking.
    The final Republican primary isn't until late June by which time some of his trial verdicts will already have been in weeks, maybe months before
    That's a very characteristic comment which ignores 99% of what I wrote as well as its main point, in favour of something true but irrelevant to that point.

I even tried to cover off you making that very point by noting 'in practical terms' he will be chosen, because his winning position will be well known by then. 40 GOP primaries and caucauses will be complete by April 2nd.

In 2016 the last man standing withdrew by the beginning of May (and in practice was over as a contest before then), and the polls you like so much indicate Trump will easily be ahead. Cruz won several states, there are not many others which are massively competitive this time, bar a couple of surprises.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Crowd love it. Madness.

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    29m

In a way the logic is brilliant. Either I win or the system is rigged and I won anyway.

Nothing the republic has faced compares to this self-centred intransigence.

What's incredible is maybe 40+% of voters seem to agree.

• Options

kle4 said:

Crowd love it. Madness.

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    29m

In a way the logic is brilliant. Either I win or the system is rigged and I won anyway.

It's very impressive, in a dark way. A system which has not an official Leader in the way we have has totally given itself over to support for a specific individual, and accepts every claim he ever makes, even the contradictory ones.

And because of the support and campaigning funds and clout that gives him, and his vindictiveness to those who do not bend the knee to him (something people like DeSantis and some folks in Iowa who did not endorse him are belatedly recognising), he really would run solely to destroy the party's chances if they don't support him, and they know it. So even those who do not buy into it all almost all say they do.
  • Options
    "Paris attack near Eiffel Tower leaves one dead and two injured"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-67604591
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Crowd love it. Madness.

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    29m

The way Americans count postal votes is almost guaranteed to give fodder to conspiracy theorists. They ought to adopt the same system we have, where all postal votes have to be received by close of voting on polling day, so there isn't a delay between the two types of votes being counted. Having the potential for one winner on the night and another a few days or weeks later isn't a good system imo.
    It isn't the way I'd choose, certainly. But then I'd also not have different electoral rules in different states, but that's federations for you.

A major worry this time is elected officials at stages of the process refusing to certify properly counted votes, in what is meant to be a pretty uncontroversial procedural way. Last time there were some efforts to obstruct, but ultimately most did their job and state houses did not reject. Although some prominent election deniers did not win races at the last midterms, many others did - most in the GOP are now deniers.

And knowing that would all Democrat officials hold the line in a tight race as well? Hopefully, but democracy cannot be taken for granted in america now, even if one side is definitely more against it than the other.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Crowd love it. Madness.

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    29m

It's very impressive, in a dark way. A system which has not an official Leader in the way we have has totally given itself over to support for a specific individual, and accepts every claim he ever makes, even the contradictory ones.

And because of the support and campaigning funds and clout that gives him, and his vindictiveness to those who do not bend the knee to him (something people like DeSantis and some folks in Iowa who did not endorse him are belatedly recognising), he really would run solely to destroy the party's chances if they don't support him, and they know it. So even those who do not buy into it all almost all say they do.
    It is v v depressing how few in GOP will stand up and be counted as against this.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Crowd love it. Madness.

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    29m

It is v v depressing how few in GOP will stand up and be counted as against this.
    Is right-wing politics the new Communism?
  • Options
    edited December 2023

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Crowd love it. Madness.

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    29m

Honestly I think very few even want to. There is a belief that there are a large number who do but are afraid for their careers, but I don't think so. Even someone who does like Romney, who supported both impeachments, is often cagey about what he'd do to oppose Trump.

Some used to criticise a few of the more outrageous statements he'd make, but they got worn down and now fully back everything. That is what they have come to believe.

Christie is about the only prominent exception, and presumably only prominent because Democrats like to watch him call Trump a loser and a criminal.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I wish I knew."

The Bulwark

It 'aint gonna happen.

Trump has multiple trials, including multiple criminal trials, over the next few months and there is a significant chance he is convicted in at least one maybe more of them and then given a jail sentence.

He may run still even then but the polling evidence is swing voters would desert him. The GOP establishment may also do a stitch up at the convention to deny him the nomination, he still runs as an independent and hands Biden re election on a plate.

Trump is telling us in clear and direct way what a second term will mean.

If you think the UK and rest of europe will not be massively effected by the end of democracy in America and the election of Trump with his agenda then you are not listening.

It will be biggest geopolitical disaster in our lifetimes.

Sure - we will survive. But the turmoil will be incredible.

Where is there any evidence
    this would be the 'end of democracy in America' other than left liberal hysterics?

It would take the US military to support a Trump dictatorship over the US Constitution for starters which there is no evidence they would do
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I wish I knew."

The Bulwark

It 'aint gonna happen.

By the time of the trials he already will be miles ahead, the first criminal trial is meant to be the day before Super Tuesday. I think all the other candidates, except Christie, are on the record as intending to support him as candidate even if he is convicted of a criminal offence. They were specifically asked about supporting the nominee in those circumstances. He has been preparing the ground for that since before he was even charged, by hammering home how the charges are phony and the process rigged and political, and every indication is that most GOP voters agree with him about that.

Absent a few lonely polls that some might change their view upon conviction, I don't know why we'd ignore the vast amount of indicators that being convicted really would not make much difference to GOP voter intention.

We should believe what they are telling us, that they want Trump, no matter what. Once he's been chosen, which will happen in practical terms before any potential conviction, I do not believe for a second the base will change its mind.

What counts as a floating voter might, but not them. To believe otherwise is just wishful thinking.
    The final Republican primary isn't until late June by which time some of his trial verdicts will already have been in weeks, maybe months before
    That's a very characteristic comment which ignores 99% of what I wrote as well as its main point, in favour of something true but irrelevant to that point.

I even tried to cover off you making that very point by noting 'in practical terms' he will be chosen, because his winning position will be well known by then. 40 GOP primaries and caucauses will be complete by April 2nd.

In 2016 the last man standing withdrew by the beginning of May (and in practice was over as a contest before then), and the polls you like so much indicate Trump will easily be ahead. Cruz won several states, there are not many others which are massively competitive this time, bar a couple of surprises.
    Trump's first criminal trial could have a verdict in well before May
  • Options
    Former Australian prime minister Tony Abbott interviewed by the Triggernometry blokes, Konstantin and Francis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAENUXVKRPw
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,236

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

A new video series from tube guru Geoff Marshall.

"Only Unconnect - Pimlico
    Geoff Marshall"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyTfzfOlRok

Next Sunday - Brent Cross West station opens (on Thameslink between Cricklewood and Hendon).
    Thanks for reminding me. I expect Geoff will be there, making a video for his channel.
    I'll probably wait until Monday so I can take pics of the platforms without tons of Geoff Marshalls milling about :lol:
    Sunil, you *are* one of the Geoff Marshalls... :)
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    SKS continues his project of annoying the Corbynistas.

"Starmer heaps praise on Thatcher as he woos Conservative voters"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/12/02/starmer-praises-thatcher-woos-conservative-voters/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

In the event that they wanted to do that, is it procedurally possible? If we're assuming that Trump has won the primary so he controls the delegates, is there a committee of bigwigs or something that can somehow fix the nomination?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Geoff Marshall"

Next Sunday - Brent Cross West station opens (on Thameslink between Cricklewood and Hendon).
    Thanks for reminding me. I expect Geoff will be there, making a video for his channel.
    I'll probably wait until Monday so I can take pics of the platforms without tons of Geoff Marshalls milling about :lol:
    Sunil, you *are* one of the Geoff Marshalls... :)
    I wonder what happened to Vicky, his girlfriend?

She's no longer in the videos. Maybe there were too many trains for her.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,248
    What does a 4-way race loon like in the electoral college? (Biden, Haley, and independent runs from Kennedy and Trump).
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,967
    .…

• Options

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Geoff Marshall"

Never mind Brent Cross West, I wish they’d fix the bloody lift at Southwark station.

I carefully booked a hotel right next to the station - might as well have booked a nicer hotel anywhere between Waterloo and London Bridge. Grrr
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Oh FFS.

Xavi Ruiz
    @xruiztru
    ·
    Dec 1
    Europe hasn't seen a snow cover like this since 2010—60% is blanketed in white! ❄️

Toby Young
    @toadmeister
    ·
    23h
    But... global warming.

Everyone knows cold weather is impossible under global warming and climate change, that's just hard science.
    But no snow at all this winter would be used by some people as evidence that global warming was happening.
    Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Oh FFS.

Xavi Ruiz
    @xruiztru
    ·
    Dec 1
    Europe hasn't seen a snow cover like this since 2010—60% is blanketed in white! ❄️

Toby Young
    @toadmeister
    ·
    23h
    But... global warming.

Everyone knows cold weather is impossible under global warming and climate change, that's just hard science.
    But no snow at all this winter would be used by some people as evidence that global warming was happening.
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I wish I knew."

The Bulwark

It 'aint gonna happen.

It is one of the more absurd arguments to suggest a) it will no different to before, when he had not tried to ignore the results of an election, and b) that it makes no difference to the world, when who the US President is makes a very big difference to the world.

Unless the army support him over the constitution, which they failed to do in January 2021 then yes it is not a major deal.

I am reminded of Herr Schultz in Cabaret on the rise of the Nazis: ”It will pass, I promise you”
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,048

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Oh FFS.

Xavi Ruiz
    @xruiztru
    ·
    Dec 1

Toby Young
    @toadmeister
    ·
    23h
    But... global warming.

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Oh FFS.

Xavi Ruiz
    @xruiztru
    ·
    Dec 1

Toby Young
    @toadmeister
    ·
    23h
    But... global warming.

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I wish I knew."

The Bulwark

It 'aint gonna happen.

I am reminded of Herr Schultz in Cabaret on the rise of the Nazis: ”It will pass, I promise you”
    And it did, though there was a little trouble along the way.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,972
    a
    kle4 said:

The GOP is basically going to run as a pro-Jan 6th insurrection party.

Bill Kristol.

They confusingly seem to be both in favour of people storming the Capitol, and insistent that the only people doing the actual storming were Feds dressed as Trump supporters. Everyone else was just peacefully wandering about, even the ones who pled guilty to crimes.
    With a striking similarity to the thought process of those who claim that the attack on Israel was a false flag operation by the Israelis, the attack was a brilliant victory for Hamas, there were no abuses and that the abuses were justified.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,972

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I wish I knew."

The Bulwark

It 'aint gonna happen.

By the time of the trials he already will be miles ahead, the first criminal trial is meant to be the day before Super Tuesday. I think all the other candidates, except Christie, are on the record as intending to support him as candidate even if he is convicted of a criminal offence. He has been preparing the ground for that since before he was even charged, by hammering home how the charges are phony and the process rigged and political, and every indication is that most GOP voters agree with him about that.

Yep.

Clear and present danger.

The republic has never been in so much shit. At least since the civil war anyway.

GOP voters seem to have collectively lost their minds.

It is utterly baffling.

I remain unconvinced Biden can pull this off twice.

You know... You know what I've noticed? Nobody panics when things go "according to plan." Even if the plan is horrifying! If, tomorrow, I tell the press that, like, a gang banger will get shot, or a truckload of soldiers will be blown up, nobody panics, because it's all "part of the plan". But when I say that one little old mayor will die, well then everyone loses their minds.
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I wish I knew."

The Bulwark

It 'aint gonna happen.

By the time of the trials he already will be miles ahead, the first criminal trial is meant to be the day before Super Tuesday. I think all the other candidates, except Christie, are on the record as intending to support him as candidate even if he is convicted of a criminal offence. He has been preparing the ground for that since before he was even charged, by hammering home how the charges are phony and the process rigged and political, and every indication is that most GOP voters agree with him about that.

Yep.

Clear and present danger.

The republic has never been in so much shit. At least since the civil war anyway.

GOP voters seem to have collectively lost their minds.

It is utterly baffling.

I remain unconvinced Biden can pull this off twice.

You know... You know what I've noticed? Nobody panics when things go "according to plan." Even if the plan is horrifying! If, tomorrow, I tell the press that, like, a gang banger will get shot, or a truckload of soldiers will be blown up, nobody panics, because it's all "part of the plan". But when I say that one little old mayor will die, well then everyone loses their minds.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylwMWpbv5Fk&t=1s
This discussion has been closed.