Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Will eating a kangaroo’s bunghole improve Nigel Farage’s ratings? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,921
edited November 2023 in General
Will eating kangaroo’s bunghole improve Nigel Farage’s ratings? – politicalbetting.com

As 'I'm a Celebrity…' gets underway, Britons are twice as likely to view Nigel Farage unfavourably than favourablyhttps://t.co/X3xVglddS7 pic.twitter.com/4f96mm4Ix5

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Something has come up at work, so I'm rather busy for the rest of the day/evening, so if anything major happens I'm not ignoring it.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 79,332
    edited November 2023
    WILL EATING A KANGAROO’S BUNGHOLE IMPROVE NIGEL FARAGE’S RATINGS?

Well certainly his credit rating with that £1.5 million in the bank....whoever negotiated that deal should have negotiated Brexit as they got an amazing deal for Nige.
  • Options
    Always wanted to get 'bunghole' into a PB headline.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Everything that the Las Vegas Sphere has projected onto it during the Las Vegas GP weekend

https://x.com/FM1_3316/status/1726694084298059884?s=20

Not coming to London....
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,739

Something has come up at work, so I'm rather busy for the rest of the day/evening, so if anything major happens I'm not ignoring it.

Bungholes!
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 11,429

Everything that the Las Vegas Sphere has projected onto it during the Las Vegas GP weekend

https://x.com/FM1_3316/status/1726694084298059884?s=20

Not coming to London....

So bloody annoying. They could turn it off at 11pm or something if they're concerned about light pollution.

Build it on the green belt instead.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,742
    As I said yesterday, I don't see him doing anything other than well. He is by all accounts quite good company (though apparently not easy to work for), and certainly a good communicator. The apparently low opinion the public has of him is a good starting point. I don't think the producers will be able to demonise him, because people will know - people are getting really uppity about any perceived favouritism (or unfavouritism) shown to contestants on these things.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 11,145
    edited November 2023

As I said yesterday, I don't see him doing anything other than well. He is by all accounts quite good company (though apparently not easy to work for), and certainly a good communicator. The apparently low opinion the public has of him is a good starting point. I don't think the producers will be able to demonise him, because people will know - people are getting really uppity about any perceived favouritism (or unfavouritism) shown to contestants on these things.

I agree. Politicians generally have done very well, against expectations. They expect to be picked for trials and are not going to fail to do well no matter how much they might hate it. Nigel Farage (whose politics I dislike) I respect as someone who should not be underestimated. I expect him to thrive.

I don't expect the producers to try and demonise him. They haven't with others who have been hate figures. Obviously Ant and Dec will tell jokes at his expense.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 119,527
    Should be noted that the 27% with a favourable view of Farage is higher than some current Tory poll ratings
  • Options

The track record of politicians on reality TV is a patchy one. For one or two it really is an opportunity to redeem themselves in the eyes of the public, For others it's the final nail in the coffin, and for most there seems to be pretty much no net effect on opinion. I'd say in most cases the viewing public are able to distinguish between how they feel about someone as a contestant on a show and what they think of them as a politician.

Ed Balls on Strictly seems to have achieved the sought after turnaround in public opinion.

Hancock on celebrity who dares wins has by all accounts further buried his reputation.

Galloway in celeb big brother, Widdecombe on Strictly and Nadine on I'm a celeb seem to have left with their reputations unchanged from when they went in.

I would guess Farage will come across as fairly avuncular in the Clarkson mould, possibly annoying at times but generally inoffensive, but that will have little or no impact on his ratings as a politician.
  • Options
    Taz said:
    Nice work SNP! Shows what a carefully worded commons amendment can do.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Taz said:
    Why would Hamas give up 50 hostages for just a few days truce? To sneak all their fighters that aren't cannon fodder out of harms way I guess. But then Israel doesn't complete their objective of wiping out Hamas.
  • Options
    Safe passage / promise of no assassination for a few of the oligarchical leaders with property in Qatar?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 46,451

Well certainly his credit rating with that £1.5 million in the bank....whoever negotiated that deal should have negotiated Brexit as they got an amazing deal for Nige.

I have heard that the trawl of internal communications at Coutts on the matter did not proceed to the banks advantage.

As in they were fucked.
  • Options
    I think this demonstrates that Farage still wants a 'political' career in some shape or form, but realizes that his connection with Brexit is now much more of a hindrance. So, like his hero Trump before him, he's opted to become a reality-TV clown to ingratiate himself with the masses. A somewhat tragic approach from several angles.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,109

I think this demonstrates that Farage still wants a 'political' career in some shape or form, but realizes that his connection with Brexit is now much more of a hindrance. So, like his hero Trump before him, he's opted to become a reality-TV clown to ingratiate himself with the masses. A somewhat tragic approach from several angles.

He’s being paid £1.5M.
    I think it’s as simple as that.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,480

He’s being paid £1.5M.
    How many of us on PB would turn down 1.5 million for a few weeks in the jungle with some very minor celebs? I'd pay for my own flights out and back!
  • Options
    TimS said:

The track record of politicians on reality TV is a patchy one. For one or two it really is an opportunity to redeem themselves in the eyes of the public, For others it's the final nail in the coffin, and for most there seems to be pretty much no net effect on opinion. I'd say in most cases the viewing public are able to distinguish between how they feel about someone as a contestant on a show and what they think of them as a politician.

Ed Balls on Strictly seems to have achieved the sought after turnaround in public opinion.

Hancock on celebrity who dares wins has by all accounts further buried his reputation.

Galloway in celeb big brother, Widdecombe on Strictly and Nadine on I'm a celeb seem to have left with their reputations unchanged from when they went in.

I would guess Farage will come across as fairly avuncular in the Clarkson mould, possibly annoying at times but generally inoffensive, but that will have little or no impact on his ratings as a politician.
    Hancock is a prize idiot with his foot firmly in his gob at all times. Farage isn't that.
  • Options
    The difference between politics, media, and light entertainment is smaller in Britain than the two other democracies I’m very familiar with. Yes, than even the US.

There’s something deeply decadent in British culture.
  • Options

He’s being paid £1.5M.
    How many of us on PB would turn down 1.5 million for a few weeks in the jungle with some very minor celebs? I'd pay for my own flights out and back!
    It would be life changing money for most of us.
    Yes, I’d certainly do it, for my family.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,047
    edited November 2023
    TimS said:

Taz said:
    Nice work SNP! Shows what a carefully worded commons amendment can do.
    All that wasted effort in avoiding the word ceasefire by the ugly sisters and there was Mark Regev happily ceasefiring away on WaO..

Fannies.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,088
    Why would one of the most successful politicians of our generation be interested in improving their ratings.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,032

Always wanted to get 'bunghole' into a PB headline.

It's Farage. It should have been arsehole...
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

The difference between politics, media, and light entertainment is smaller in Britain than the two other democracies I’m very familiar with. Yes, than even the US.

I’ve long said similar, but people on here wouldn’t have it
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,683
    kjh said:

I agree. Politicians generally have done very well, against expectations. They expect to be picked for trials and are not going to fail to do well no matter how much they might hate it. Nigel Farage (whose politics I dislike) I respect as someone who should not be underestimated. I expect him to thrive.

I don't expect the producers to try and demonise him. They haven't with others who have been hate figures. Obviously Ant and Dec will tell jokes at his expense.
    I thought those two were the joke.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 119,527

Would Trump have become US President without hosting The Apprentice?

Even Zelensky got noticed first as a TV comedian
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,664
    FPT: (My apologies, but the 8 hour time difference does make it harder to comment, before there is a new post.) Yes, on Nikki Haley's chances, though the odds are still against her. One in ten seems about right to me, now.

On the bubonic plague: Here's a map of cases in the US since 1970:
    https://www.cdc.gov/plague/maps/index.html

As you can see, the plague is most common in the rural West, so blacks would now be under-represented, because most live elsewhere. (If you visit any of those parts of the US and see a sick rodent, don't go near it.)
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    HYUFD said:

There probably is a relationship between Zelensky’s charisma and the amount of support from the public for Ukraine
  • Options
    University Challenge viewers criticise ‘anti-Semitic’ blue octopus mascot as show is hit by backlash
    A BBC spokesperson said, “We are aware of a number of inaccurate claims being made online in relation to last night’s episode of University Challenge and we utterly condemn the abuse that has been posted and shared.

"For the avoidance of doubt, this episode was filmed in March. The mascot is one of many chosen by the team during the course of the series and is one of their favourite animals.

"The jacket worn by one of the contestants was navy blue, orange, pink and green, bought from a High Street retailer. It has no connection to any flag.”

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/university-challenge-viewers-criticise-blue-octopus-mascot/
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,626

University Challenge viewers criticise ‘anti-Semitic’ blue octopus mascot as show is hit by backlash
    A BBC spokesperson said, “We are aware of a number of inaccurate claims being made online in relation to last night’s episode of University Challenge and we utterly condemn the abuse that has been posted and shared.

"For the avoidance of doubt, this episode was filmed in March. The mascot is one of many chosen by the team during the course of the series and is one of their favourite animals.

"The jacket worn by one of the contestants was navy blue, orange, pink and green, bought from a High Street retailer. It has no connection to any flag.”

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/university-challenge-viewers-criticise-blue-octopus-mascot/

Why is a blue octopus anti-semitic? Genuine question.
  • Options

Because the Nazis (probably them anyway) showed a Jewish octopus with its tentacles encircling the globe.
  • Options
    Widespread media reports that the Israeli Cabinet will meet tonight to discuss a ceasefire/peace deal.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Anti-Semitic trope is Jews are like octopus with tentacles wrapped around everything.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 26,112
    edited November 2023
    HYUFD said:

Trump, Arnie and Ronald Reagan say howdy. We have Boris, of course, from HIGNFY. Our version of the Apprentice produced two peers but that is not quite the same thing as each only needed one man in Downing Street to be starstruck.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Trump, Arnie and Ronald Reagan say howdy. We have Boris, of course, from HIGNFY. Our version of the Apprentice produced two peers but that is not quite the same thing as it only needed one man in Downing Street to be starstruck.
    And, of course, Pope Francis first came to prominence on series 3 of Big Brother.
  • Options
    TikTok prankster Mizzy has been sentenced to 18 weeks' detention in a young offender institution
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-67489711

Worst news in that report, he has already reproduced.....
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,066
    edited November 2023

Even worse to be expressing anti-Semitism in March, before the current conflict in Gaza :wink:

I have informed my children that their favourite bath toy has now been cancelled :disappointed:
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Why would one of the most successful politicians of our generation be interested in improving their ratings.

'their'? Has Nige gone non-binary?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Trump, Arnie and Ronald Reagan say howdy. We have Boris, of course, from HIGNFY. Our version of the Apprentice produced two peers but that is not quite the same thing as it only needed one man in Downing Street to be starstruck.
    And, of course, Pope Francis first came to prominence on series 3 of Big Brother.
    You're getting his Holiness mixed up with Penny Mordaunt, and it was Splash! not Big Brother.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 20,542

Good afternoon everyone.

Apparently sometimes used by Nazis as a symbol of Jewish world control.

Good job it wasn't a Mimic Octopus; the outrage-bots would be confused about which version of Mimic to be offended about.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvAVrOKvGLI
  • Options
    twistedfirestopper3twistedfirestopper3 Posts: 2,245
    edited November 2023
    I'm proud to admit I've never knowingly watched any reality competition thingy. I'm a sleb, Strictly, BIg Brother, the SAS shite, not one of them. I've caught the odd bit on a night shift at work, but only whilst comatose in a comfy chair during nightshift standdown. From what I can gather, they're hardly A Listers are they? Some lad called Bobby Brazier keeps popping up in my news feed as Strictly is current. Upon Googling him, he's the kid of some dead Z Lister. Really, what's the point?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,088
    edited November 2023
    Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

'their'? Has Nige gone non-binary?
    Assume nothing.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,369
    Amnesty International has called for the release of all civilian hostages in Gaza with specific focus on 25 Thai nationals.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    From previous thread on Women with Black African ancestry dying of black death. The lead academic on this has shall we say form on some rather iffy previous claims all around diversity e.g. how diverse the Romans were. And it is always based upon tiny sample sizes of skull measures, which are well iffy to say the least (and I think Leon pointed out in many contexts thought to be outright racist).

The lady of beachy head was identified by such a manner and only after actually doing DNA testing was it found to be nonsense.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,112
    Selebian said:

Even worse to be expressing anti-Semitism in March, before the current conflict in Gaza :wink:

I have informed my children that their favourite bath toy has now been cancelled :disappointed:
    You're cancelled as well for buying it for them.

And Ringo Starr is in big trouble - a whole Garden of Octopuses.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    The minimum wage is to increase by more than a pound to £11.44 per hour from April next year. The minimum wage, known officially as the National Living Wage, is currently £10.42 an hour for workers over 23. But Chancellor Jeremy Hunt has decided the rate will also apply to 21 and 22-year-olds for the first time.

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 20,542
    An example of imo someone taking the anti-Trump claims too far.

This one - a son and father played a round of golf at a Trump Club in 2015, and got drunk in the clubhouse. Son then drove home drunk, lost control of car, killed father in the crash. Son charged with various things including vehicular homicide, reckless driving, driving while intoxicated, and displaying a fictitious inspection sticker.

Trump's club fined $400k under "responsible vendor" laws. Son fined $1000 plus 3 years on probation.

To me that does not seem to be a very strong anti-Trump attack line.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v75HJRV3gLU
  • Options

The minimum wage is to increase by more than a pound to £11.44 per hour from April next year. The minimum wage, known officially as the National Living Wage, is currently £10.42 an hour for workers over 23. But Chancellor Jeremy Hunt has decided the rate will also apply to 21 and 22-year-olds for the first time.

What's the point of the Autumn Statement if it has all been leaked?
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,562

I can’t decide whether they have lost control of this or are doing it deliberately and there’s still a “rabbit” to come.

The instant IC was mentioned anywhere I assumed a basic rate cut, with a flourish, at the end.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Good afternoon everyone.

Good job it wasn't a Mimic Octopus; the outrage-bots would be confused about which version of Mimic to be offended about.
    Wasn’t an octopus used to predict football matches?
  • Options

It's bloody annoying. Makes predictions and commentary very difficult, unless you're a client journalist at the Telegraph.
  • Options

MattW said:

Good afternoon everyone.

And did it predict Israel would win the World Cup? I rest my case.
  • Options
    Patient privacy fears as US spy tech firm Palantir wins £330m NHS contract
    Awarding of contract to create new data platform prompts immediate concerns about security of medical records

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/nov/21/patient-privacy-fears-us-spy-tech-firm-palantir-wins-nhs-contract
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,624
    On topic, it's very likely that Farage's ratings will improve.

Donald Trump pretty much launched his Presidential bid from pretending to be a red-hot entrepreneur rather than a narcissitic Daddy's Boy on the Apprentice after all. All publicity is good publicity these days it seems.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Trump, Arnie and Ronald Reagan say howdy. We have Boris, of course, from HIGNFY. Our version of the Apprentice produced two peers but that is not quite the same thing as each only needed one man in Downing Street to be starstruck.
    Those are qualitatively different though. Being a TV celebrity (on reality TV or otherwise) before becoming a national politician obviously helps with profile. Going on TV once already a mainstream politician is a different kettle of fish.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 55,358
    On topic, I don't know.

Farage is no svengali who has gamed this out in 3D chess: he's a man who has been offered £1.5m for a month's work. That is a pretty attractive offer.

How he performs is an open question. Nadine crashed out after a week, and she is pretty personable.

On the other hand... That £1.5m means the producers won't want him to disappear too early. My guess: week 3.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/COLRICHARDKEMP/status/1726882306894467504

Very good piece by Col Richard Kemp in the Torygraph (is it still called that?)

Why is there such disbelief about Hamas using hospitals for military purposes? The only bit I would dispute is the claim that the IDF 'has been exclusively targeting terrorists.' Don't know that there is sufficient evidence to say that with certainty.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

On topic, I don't know.

Farage is no svengali who has gamed this out in 3D chess: he's a man who has been offered £1.5m for a month's work. That is a pretty attractive offer.

How he performs is an open question. Nadine crashed out after a week, and she is pretty personable.

On the other hand... That £1.5m means the producers won't want him to disappear too early. My guess: week 3.

How much? If the producers are reading, I am available.

Seriously though - Nadine personable?
  • Options
    edited November 2023

MattW said:

Good afternoon everyone.

Yes, Paul the Octopus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_the_Octopus
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ESGpRUMj9E

Sadly Mr Octopus turned up his toes, or rather suckers, and there is now a memortial to him.

Edit: he'd be very useful here. Even a half sapient squid would shift the odds very nicely.
  • Options

Awarding of contract to create new data platform prompts immediate concerns about security of medical records

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/nov/21/patient-privacy-fears-us-spy-tech-firm-palantir-wins-nhs-contract

Can someone ask the Guardian whether we want open competition based on a clear spec or not? I have separately read in that paper that one of the ills of recent NHS procurement was not doing that.
  • Options

More scare stories from the anti-business medical professional fawning Grauniad. I have less fears about data in the NHS than I do about almost everything else about this dinosaur institution that every politician seems terrified to reform.
  • Options
    biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

On topic, I don't know.

Hmmmm ... *income tax*.
  • Options
    TimS said:

It's bloody annoying. Makes predictions and commentary very difficult, unless you're a client journalist at the Telegraph.
    Or, indeed, a cephalopod.
  • Options

Maybe he should reapply to Coutts
  • Options

Good of him to be so generous with other peoples' money.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/COLRICHARDKEMP/status/1726882306894467504

Very good piece by Col Richard Kemp in the Torygraph (is it still called that?)

Why is there such disbelief about Hamas using hospitals for military purposes? The only bit I would dispute is the claim that the IDF 'has been exclusively targeting terrorists.' Don't know that there is sufficient evidence to say that with certainty.

The Torygraph is now known as the UKIPograph.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 55,358
    biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

On topic, I don't know.

I met her about a decade ago, outside a restaraunt. She offered to look after my two year old son, while I took my five year old daughter to the bathroom. While I turned her down, it was a very nice - spontaneous - gesture that means I gave always thought well of her personally.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

On topic, it's very likely that Farage's ratings will improve.

Donald Trump pretty much launched his Presidential bid from pretending to be a red-hot entrepreneur rather than a narcissitic Daddy's Boy on the Apprentice after all. All publicity is good publicity these days it seems.

It isn't all good publicity. Matt Hancock probably saw the opposite effect (from a low base) on I'm a Celeb, as did Lembit Opik on Big Brother.

With Nadine Dorries on I'm a Celeb and George Galloway on Big Brother, it didn't necessarily impede their future careers (Dorries went on to join the Cabinet and Galloway appeared a few years before his by-election win in Bradford) but I'm not convinced that was because of, rather than despite, those appearances.

It probably did help Penny Mordaunt on Splash, and Ed Balls on Strictly (he's not returned to the political frontline but he's pretty clearly more positively thought of now than a decade ago).
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,251
    edited November 2023

From previous thread on Women with Black African ancestry dying of black death. The lead academic on this has shall we say form on some rather iffy previous claims all around diversity e.g. how diverse the Romans were. And it is always based upon tiny sample sizes of skull measures, which are well iffy to say the least (and I think Leon pointed out in many contexts thought to be outright racist).

The lady of beachy head was identified by such a manner and only after actually doing DNA testing was it found to be nonsense.

I am very happy in a free society for people to go off and fund and publish research etc into whatever they want, and we can then all have an argument about their method and sample and whether it’s all just a load of rubbish. The thing I resent is when media outlets repeat findings without any kind of critical assessment.

The study in question got the prominence it did on our national broadcaster (IMHO) because it either appealed to the BBC’s sensibilities OR they considered it to be great clickbait. Neither is a particularly great reflection on them.
  • Options

I'm proud to admit I've never knowingly watched any reality competition thingy. I'm a sleb, Strictly, BIg Brother, the SAS shite, not one of them. I've caught the odd bit on a night shift at work, but only whilst comatose in a comfy chair during nightshift standdown. From what I can gather, they're hardly A Listers are they? Some lad called Bobby Brazier keeps popping up in my news feed as Strictly is current. Upon Googling him, he's the kid of some dead Z Lister. Really, what's the point?

Maybe they should rename the show "I'm Not a Celebrity - Get Me In There"
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,652

MattW said:

Good afternoon everyone.

If you have an octopus in your football team, make sure they get to the ground good and early. It takes them four times as long to put their boots on, compared to the rest of the players.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 11,145

MattW said:

Good afternoon everyone.

If you have an octopus in your football team, make sure they get to the ground good and early. It takes them four times as long to put their boots on, compared to the rest of the players.
    Thank god millipedes don't play
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 66,019
    Isn't this just cannibalism ?

Bunghole eats bunghole.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,938
    edited November 2023
    MattW said:

An example of imo someone taking the anti-Trump claims too far.

This one - a son and father played a round of golf at a Trump Club in 2015, and got drunk in the clubhouse. Son then drove home drunk, lost control of car, killed father in the crash. Son charged with various things including vehicular homicide, reckless driving, driving while intoxicated, and displaying a fictitious inspection sticker.

Trump's club fined $400k under "responsible vendor" laws. Son fined $1000 plus 3 years on probation.

To me that does not seem to be a very strong anti-Trump attack line.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v75HJRV3gLU

That's a rather old bit of news, and the club accepted the rap (in preference to risking its licence). I'm not sure this is an example of people targeting Trump personally (as nobody can seriously say he was personally serving the drinks). It's just that some states have quite strict liquor licensing laws and sometimes licensees get fined for breaches. Remember that prohibition is relatively recent history (in the bigger scheme of things) and many states are rather more robust on licensing, for better or worse, than in UK/Europe.

• Options

Selebian said:

You're cancelled as well for buying it for them.

And Ringo Starr is in big trouble - a whole Garden of Octopuses.
    Nah, I'm in the clear. The grandparents are in hot water though (unlike the octopus, now :disappointed: ) for making the apparently innocent gift one Christmas. They also have a house with white walls, a black front door, red(ish) roof and green lawn. The evidence is clear.
  • Options
    This from Meeks is a very good point:

https://x.com/AlastairMeeks/status/1727009895378276546?s=20

We could do with seeing some polling for seats that are harder to reach for Labour. The Red Wall is gone already. The blue wall was always much more strongly Tory but that's a mixed battleground with Labour and LD in the mix.

I'd love to see polling of:

- The 2015 and 2017 Tory conquests in the North and Midlands, as Alastair suggests (the red inner wall?)
    - The pre-2015 Lib Dem heartland of the rural Southwest (the hedgerow)
    - The urban edgelands (call it the dry ski slope or garden fence or something) taking in the likes of Uxbridge, Bromley, Chingford, Solihull, Tamworth etc.
  • Options
    It’s true that the US has a well-trodden route from celebrity into politics. Reagan, of course, although he had something like thirty years of Republican activism under his belt.

I think there’s something substantively different in the UK, and it comes from the exceedingly close connections between politics and the media, and in turn the debauchment of the media itself by reality tv formats.

With the very notable exception of Trump, most US politicians would consider it beneath their dignity to appear on the “Golden Bachelor” or whatever the latest format is.

In the UK, it’s increasingly normalised, and you have the slightly less harmful podcaster version where “old chums” like Ed Balls and George Osborne create content in the hope of making it big.

On one hand, it’s part of a “gaiety of the nation” thread in the national culture which seems to be such a prominent part of modern British life. On the other hand, it’s kind of an undercutting of the idea of public service itself.

Was Boris really a politician, or just a media personality in desire of a larger platform? I think the answer is the latter, and there are more and more like him in British public life?
  • Options

About twenty years ago I was apparently being considered as someone who could go to Bangalore and contribute to the advice team who were looking at the proposed integrated NHS system.
    Didn’t happen, which was a shame. I’d have enjoyed a few months a year there, for a few years.
  • Options
    Spot the difference with the part of the Labour Party south of the border (and it's not a matter of today; Mr Sarwar was taking a different route some days back):

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23938240.scottish-parliament-calls-immediate-ceasefire-gaza/?ref=ebbn&nid=1457&u=f140ec39d500193051a33e140c12bd95&date=211123

'The Scottish Parliament has backed a Government motion calling for an “immediate ceasefire” in the conflict, as well as condemning the “barbaric and unjustifiable” Hamas attacks of October 7 and demanding the release of all hostages taken.

A Labour amendment calling for the International Criminal Court to investigate the conduct of all parties in the conflict was also accepted by the Government.

A Conservative amendment calling for humanitarian pauses instead of an immediate ceasefire was voted down.'

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23936580.recap-scottish-parliament-debates-motion-gaza-ceasefire/
  • Options

MattW said:

Good afternoon everyone.

Logic fail. Seven times as many 'hands' to get the first one on, six the second ... not sure how it works out for n=8, , though!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Spot the difference with the part of the Labour Party south of the border (and it's not a matter of today; Mr Sarwar was taking a different route some days back):

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23938240.scottish-parliament-calls-immediate-ceasefire-gaza/?ref=ebbn&nid=1457&u=f140ec39d500193051a33e140c12bd95&date=211123

'The Scottish Parliament has backed a Government motion calling for an “immediate ceasefire” in the conflict, as well as condemning the “barbaric and unjustifiable” Hamas attacks of October 7 and demanding the release of all hostages taken.

A Labour amendment calling for the International Criminal Court to investigate the conduct of all parties in the conflict was also accepted by the Government.

A Conservative amendment calling for humanitarian pauses instead of an immediate ceasefire was voted down.'

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23936580.recap-scottish-parliament-debates-motion-gaza-ceasefire/

But is a ceasefire really a solution? Hamas remains committed to destroying Israel - with Iranian support. Too many of the 'ceasefire' brigade seem to think there can be a pause in hostilities and then everyone goes home again.
  • Options
    TimS said:

We could do with seeing some polling for seats that are harder to reach for Labour. The Red Wall is gone already. The blue wall was always much more strongly Tory but that's a mixed battleground with Labour and LD in the mix.

- The 2015 and 2017 Tory conquests in the North and Midlands, as Alastair suggests (the red inner wall?)
    - The urban edgelands (call it the dry ski slope or garden fence or something) taking in the likes of Uxbridge, Bromley, Chingford, Solihull, Tamworth etc.

Linked to that, where is the frontline in the electoral battleground anyway? Trickier question for the Conservatives- it they throw seats 275-325 to the wolves, it's conceding defeat. But if they don't, they have fewer resources for the seats where they still have a chance.
  • Options

You would prefer tax payer's money being used to subsidise the wage bills of private companies?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

But is a ceasefire really a solution? Hamas remains committed to destroying Israel - with Iranian support. Too many of the 'ceasefire' brigade seem to think there can be a pause in hostilities and then everyone goes home again.
    The government of Israel is discussing it right now, so we shall soon find out.
  • Options

It’s true that the US has a well-trodden route from celebrity into politics. Reagan, of course, although he had something like thirty years of Republican activism under his belt.

I think there’s something substantively different in the UK, and it comes from the exceedingly close connections between politics and the media, and in turn the debauchment of the media itself by reality tv formats.

With the very notable exception of Trump, most US politicians would consider it beneath their dignity to appear on the “Golden Bachelor” or whatever the latest format is.

In the UK, it’s increasingly normalised, and you have the slightly less harmful podcaster version where “old chums” like Ed Balls and George Osborne create content in the hope of making it big.

On one hand, it’s part of a “gaiety of the nation” thread in the national culture which seems to be such a prominent part of modern British life. On the other hand, it’s kind of an undercutting of the idea of public service itself.

Was Boris really a politician, or just a media personality in desire of a larger platform? I think the answer is the latter, and there are more and more like him in British public life?

Politics always was showbiz for ugly people, and now cosmetic surgery is so much more effective.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Not the point at issue, here, though. Which is that Labour has two different formal policies on the same matter.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Hamas are very unlikely to change their ‘policy’ without religious conversion. Or a major change in Iran.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

You would prefer tax payer's money being used to subsidise the wage bills of private companies?
    Luckyguy ought to look up 'Speenhamland System'. It was about rich *******'s wage bills being subsidised with the [edit] taxes paid by not so rich sods. One of the old C19 traditions abolished by the reformers and enthusiastically being embraced by the Tories.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

On topic, I don't know.

I met her about a decade ago, outside a restaraunt. She offered to look after my two year old son, while I took my five year old daughter to the bathroom. While I turned her down, it was a very nice - spontaneous - gesture that means I gave always thought well of her personally.
    That’s exactly what the Child Catcher would do!
  • Options

TimS said:

Linked to that, where is the frontline in the electoral battleground anyway? Trickier question for the Conservatives- it they throw seats 275-325 to the wolves, it's conceding defeat. But if they don't, they have fewer resources for the seats where they still have a chance.
    Yes, generally the rules that applied to the last election don't apply to the next. That said some reversion to the mean does seem to be indicated in the polls. If it's close, then the battlegrounds are probably the entire red wall, the more marginal home counties seats, and the central belt. If it's a large Labour majority then the interesting thing will be which shores the edge of the tide washes up on. Bound to be some surprises.

I am hopeful for a good showing in the old Lib Dem Wessex and South West heartland, independent of the overall national swing.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

TimS said:

I think they would be mad not to properly fight up to seat 300. 270+ seats (and you can never be sure which ones you get) is the point at which you make a quick return odds on if Labour cocks up.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Not the point at issue, here, though. Which is that Labour has two different formal policies on the same matter.
    I can see that you you might want to use that in Scotland. But it's hardly relevant. The Scottish parliament as you know has no remit for foreign policy.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 46,451
    a
    biggles said:

Can someone ask the Guardian whether we want open competition based on a clear spec or not? I have separately read in that paper that one of the ills of recent NHS procurement was not doing that.
    The big problem is Big Projects.

I am working on a project where we replaced a system that had resisted Big Bang replacement for decades. We did so by incremental replacement of the system, piece by piece. While the original system was a monolith, we gradually switched functionality over to the new, modular system.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,315
    Late afternoon all :)

The Standard not very enthusiastic about any tax cuts in the Autumn Statement. The suspicion is the changes will be in NI rather than, for example, changes to personal allowances to alleviate the infamous "fiscal drag".

Plenty of caution especially after today's borrowing numbers and a scathing op-ed piece from Matthew D'Ancona who I recall was the first real Cameron devotee (even before @TSE ).

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/jeremy-hunt-autumn-statement-economy-trust-b1121744.html

The disconnect between "official" economic statistics and the reality of individuals in their daily lives is considerable.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I can see that you you might want to use that in Scotland. But it's hardly relevant. The Scottish parliament as you know has no remit for foreign policy.
    Sure, no remit, but it is a *Unionist* party adopting this approach. That is significant by any standard. Especially ion explicit contradiction of the same party's own policy approach down south. And it is all the same party with the same budget.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,595

Which is exactly what happens now through the tax credits system. It will just happen a little less.
  • Options
    Good news to increase the minimum wage.

Let's hope Jeremy can follow it up by increasing the personal allowance to help poorer workers. I am not holding my breath on that.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Sure, no remit, but it is a *Unionist* party adopting this approach. That is significant by any standard. Especially ion explicit contradiction of the same party's own policy approach down south. And it is all the same party with the same budget.
    Sorry but it is basically a branch of the national party up north. Starmer certainly has issues with mayors, Scotland, Wales and a fair few MPs calling for a ceasefire. His own position doesn't seem to have damaged his personal ratings. It is also NOT an issue that will swing many votes come an election I suspect.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,968

Not before time.
    The age discrimination that is.
This discussion has been closed.