Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Braverman sacked – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options

Jonathan said:

David Cameron will go down as one of the most significant political figures - perhaps the most - of the early 21st Century.

When all's said and done he'll have been at centre of the British political scene for almost 20 years.

Indeed, but not in a good way. As PM he left us more divided than ever. As Paxman called him, the worst PM since Lord North. I hope that's not his legacy in the FO.
    Paxman has zero credibility as a political commentator given that he doesn't actually understand politics. I also suspect that if you asked him, he couldn't tell you anything about Lord North other than that he 'lost America', never mind about other contenders for 'worst PM of the last 250 years).

This isn't to defend some of Cameron's critical mistakes, in policy or in execution, but you have to ask what any other PM could reasonably have done in the circumstances to get a rounder view of his failures (bearing in mind that none had the benefit of hindsight that we now do).
    Paxo is just following yours truly who has long used the Lord North line about David Cameron on this very pb.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,657
    Heathener said:

I’m sure this has been mentioned on here, but dragging Dave back will remind viewers that they’ll have had 14 years of this.

Once the likes of @TSE have got over their euphoria, the general voting public will be unmoved. Indeed, it will ultimately reflect even worse on the party’s chances at the next election.

The fact that it’s probably a good thing for the country will be lost on voters. F.O. moves no dials.

(Also some very dodgy skeletons in Dave’s cupboard which aren’t going to play out well.)

Possibly for the first time ever, I completely agree

• Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,324

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    9m
    The only way to read this reshuffle is that Rishi Sunak has decided to completely give up on the Red Wall and try and go for damage limitation in traditional Blue Wall seats. But that’s todays plan. On current form, there’ll be an entirely different strategy unveiled next week.

For once I agree with Dan Hodges.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

David Cameron will go down as one of the most significant political figures - perhaps the most - of the early 21st Century.

When all's said and done he'll have been at centre of the British political scene for almost 20 years.

Indeed, but not in a good way. As PM he left us more divided than ever. As Paxman called him, the worst PM since Lord North. I hope that's not his legacy in the FO.
    Paxman has zero credibility as a political commentator given that he doesn't actually understand politics. I also suspect that if you asked him, he couldn't tell you anything about Lord North other than that he 'lost America', never mind about other contenders for 'worst PM of the last 250 years).

This isn't to defend some of Cameron's critical mistakes, in policy or in execution, but you have to ask what any other PM could reasonably have done in the circumstances to get a rounder view of his failures (bearing in mind that none had the benefit of hindsight that we now do).
    Paxo is just following yours truly who has long used the Lord North line about David Cameron on this very pb.
    Still doesn't make it true.

Not to mention that even if it was true in 2016, it wouldn't be true now.
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 712
    edited November 2023
    This thread has been sacked
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,254
    Nads reckons this is the first stage in the plan to bring Osborne back as LoTo
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Still doesn't make it true.

Not to mention that even if it was true in 2016, it wouldn't be true now.
    Stanley Baldwin has entered the chat.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,008
    Does anyone know what Cameron's title is now?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,254
    Barnesian said:

Call Me Lord Dave...
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    Barnesian said:

Dave
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,098
    The reshuffle appears to have come to a standstill.
    Not even a replacement for Nick Gibb.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

The reshuffle appears to have come to a standstill.
    Not even a replacement for Nick Gibb.

Apparently Rishi is in the Commons now doing the sackings and will be back at No 10 later for the other hirings.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

I’m sure this has been mentioned on here, but dragging Dave back will remind viewers that they’ll have had 14 years of this.

Once the likes of @TSE have got over their euphoria, the general voting public will be unmoved. Indeed, it will ultimately reflect even worse on the party’s chances at the next election.

The fact that it’s probably a good thing for the country will be lost on voters. F.O. moves no dials.

(Also some very dodgy skeletons in Dave’s cupboard which aren’t going to play out well.)

I doubt it'll do much either way. It's not as if Labour and other opposition parties aren't going to mention the point - but either way, it's the failures of the last 4-5 years which will be upper-most in voters' minds.
  • Options
    One aside on this reshuffle and particularly on the Braverman/Cleverly/Cameron moves.

Does this tell us something about the possible timing of the next election? I would have thought that having signalled such a large apparent move in tone and direction, Sunak would want the maximum amount of time possible to sell it to the public whilst not appearing to leave it to the last minute.

So although I don't think it will make much difference to the eventual outcome, personally I am thinking this starts to solidify the chances of an autumn 2024 election, or at least drastically reduces the chances of a spring 2024 election.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,916
    edited November 2023
    In terms of winners and losers the timing couldn't be worse for the ERG. Thanks to Braverman and IDS and their media appearances on Friday the public's abiding memory of them will be support for fellow right wingers Tommy Robinson and his bunch of skinhead thugs assaulting the police and the cenotaph.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,183
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

I don't actually. It's a significant shift to the left – and purge of the hard right loons – and I reckon it will bring some Cameroon types back into the fold (who would otherwise had voted Labour or Liberal). Maybe not huge numbers, but could be worth a few points in the polls.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,549

Leon said:

Heathener said:

I don't actually. It's a significant shift to the left – and purge of the hard right loons – and I reckon it will bring some Cameroon types back into the fold (who would otherwise had voted Labour or Liberal). Maybe not huge numbers, but could be worth a few points in the polls.
    TSE as a straw in the wind...
  • Options
    TimS said:

Senior Conservative source tells me there is talk in parliament of a meeting of the New Conservatives group later today and agenda item is Suella leadership play.

https://x.com/bethrigby/status/1724028092740481282

Subsequently retracted.
    How does that work? Either a senior conservative source told her this or they didn’t.
    Dom was the source?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,887
    Time for Starmer to act: bring Blair back as shadow foreign sec.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,617
    Interesting choice of Cameron for Foreign Sec. He's more than capable, but the appointment also seems to demonstrate that there's nobody in the PCP that's either up to it, or who wanted to accept a role in the SUNK Cabinet.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,058
    TimS said:

Time for Starmer to act: bring Blair back as shadow foreign sec.

There is a question as to who in the Lords taking the Labour party whip should be asking Lord Cameron questions. I suspect it will be Baroness Chapman
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086

Cameron will probably shore up the blue wall and piss off the red one.

That'll be the theory, and they'd take that at this point, but why would it? Cameron as FS won't change the policies the Blue Wall has an issue with, and he's so obviously a stop gap option that will it change perceptions of Sunak?
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Leon said:

Good! She’s gone! Now, Rishi, face up to the ERG. If they don’t like it, let them join Reform and see if anyone other than corrupt policemen, taxi drivers and football hooligans vote for them.

Well, Reform are consistently polling 5-10% which is enough to destroy the Conservative Party as an electoral force. If the Tories were polling 34-38% rather than 24-28% they’d be in a strong position to win the next election. At the moment they are well positioned for total oblivion
    Reform will struggle to run candidates in all seats and I suspect their number will fall as the election nears.
    I've been asked to stand.

"Reform UK intend to stand around 630 candidates at that General Election. To that end we are looking for potential candidates to come forward and apply to join our team. So, if any of you would like to consider standing for Reform UK and would like to find out more please check our website or reply directly to me. There will be lots of help/training available.

Please, please really consider this, we have all had a lifetime of these cheating, lying, self serving, arrogant, hand-in-the-till politicians of the Conservative, Labour and Lib Dem parties.
    "
    That reads more like Revolution UK than Reform UK.
  • Options

Leon said:

Whatever you think of David Cameron you have to admire his sense of duty.

He hasn't undermined the government (unlike some of his successors) over the last 7 years, and nor did he have to take this job.

Yes it must be tough for him, having to become a Lord, with a cushy spot for life, and in the meantime do a really interesting job that means flying around the world First Class and having foreigners fawn over you
    He's taking a job (might even be unpaid) in the fag-end of a very unpopular government, and he will get brickbats the whole time. The media outings won't be enjoyable.

He didn't have to do it, he will be away from his family and kids a lot, the world isn't pretty at the moment, and there are far easier and more lucrative options for him out there.
    True, but a peerage and some attention at the top of politics again will reopen some doors as well.
  • Options

Interesting choice of Cameron for Foreign Sec. He's more than capable, but the appointment also seems to demonstrate that there's nobody in the PCP that's either up to it, or who wanted to accept a role in the SUNK Cabinet.

Quite so. It's been very successfully newsworthy, but implies even more difficulties.
This discussion has been closed.