Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Braverman sacked – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,685
edited November 2023 in General
imageBraverman sacked – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,632
    Ooh ay, the Braverman gone
    she'll take her leave and go
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited November 2023
    Again...
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    edited November 2023
    Crikey! And not the the Braverman sacking.

Do we no longer say pbuh when mentioning DC?
  • Options
    CleitophonCleitophon Posts: 222
    edited November 2023
    Cameron made Foreign Secretary...a full on rejoiner.... what a snub to the natcon, brexiteer, erg crowd.... is this a precursor to the party splitting? It is such an antagonistic move.....

"With the fraught negotiations over Brexit continuing to embroil British politics, the nation's former prime minister, David Cameron, says his "greatest regret" is that those who advocated to stay in the EU lost the vote"

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/29/764199387/david-cameron-calls-the-brexit-referendum-his-greatest-regret

..... will the party survive this??? I see drama ahead.... holy cow. Crack out the popcorn
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    As with all things Sunak, this move is all about getting short-term headlines (in this case, a dead cat distracting from the Suella Sacking) and electoral positioning vs. Labour.

It's not a move about good government or setting the scene after the next GE. Will be hard to be FSec in the Lords during two wars.

Once the novelty wears off, this might be a source of ongoing trouble.
  • Options

Again...

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a prime minister in possession of their marbles*, must sack Braverman

*and Truss
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Sue-Ellen gone!
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679

Someone had better check on TSE, he's probably jizzed himself into a coma.

Yes, he has
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    The only question we all want answered - does this ermined incarnation of Cameron still read pb.com?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679
    FPT (cos I've put the effort in now):
    Andy_JS said:

When was the last time a major cabinet position was held by someone not in the HoC?

Lord Carrington: Foreign Secretary until 5 April 1982.

For the other Great Offices of State:

The Earl of Rosebery was PM until 22 June 1895
    The Marquess of Normanby was Home Secretary until 13 March 1839
    Lord Denman was the last peer to be CoE (acting) in 1834.

This update is brought to you by Wiki Research Services Inc.

• Options
    148grss said:

Yes, he has
    Brave man to go and take a look!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    fpt

Cameron pretending he thinks Brexit is a great idea will be amusing.

He will of course say as everyone knows I didn't agree with Brexit but it is my job to ensure the UK prospers....good relations....neighbours....all europeans....blah, blah.

And so much the better to have someone sensible as our FS rather than someone who actually dislikes them. Not that I think Cleverly did, that said.

First statement if not visit? Has to be Middle East. Expect it to be well-judged.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    So, how long will it be before Labour table an urgent FO question to the HoC? Can't be long, can it?
  • Options

The only question we all want answered - does this ermined incarnation of Cameron still read pb.com?

No way am I going to admit to that,
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,028
    Pulpstar said:

Cameron made Foreign Secretary...a full on rejoiner.... what a snub to the natcon, brexiteer, erg crowd.... is this a precursor to the party splitting? It is such an antagonistic move.....

"With the fraught negotiations over Brexit continuing to embroil British politics, the nation's former prime minister, David Cameron, says his "greatest regret" is that those who advocated to stay in the EU lost the vote"

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/29/764199387/david-cameron-calls-the-brexit-referendum-his-greatest-regret

..... will the party survive this??? I see drama ahead.... holy cow. Crack out the popcorn

Dave resigned after he lost the referendum as it undermined such a central plank of his platform, but I've never heard him join any sort of calls to rejoin.
    That was my reaction as well. I don't think Cameron is a rejoiner. And he was also a Eurosceptic (though not a Europhobe).
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,139
    @Conservatives
    🚨 HERE WE GO

Today
    @RishiSunak
    strengthens his team in Government to deliver long-term decisions for a brighter future.

Stay tuned for the latest.

I really do think that a Blackadder fan in CCHQ is trolling them.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    Leon said:

isam said:

Rightly or wrongly, it is amazing to see the host of a breakfast tv show to talk to a guest like this

https://x.com/archrose90/status/1723982498646925470?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

Hahaha

I do like Ed Balls. Can we not have him as Mayor of London, over the execrable Khan? Please?
    He is box office, excellent. However he would never take the mayoral job – the money isn't good enough. He earns a decent crust through his media work.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    As Ena Sharples would say " Well I'll go to our 'ouse!"
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Pulpstar said:

Dave resigned after he lost the referendum as it undermined such a central plank of his platform, but I've never heard him join any sort of calls to rejoin.
    That was my reaction as well. I don't think Cameron is a rejoiner. And he was also a Eurosceptic (though not a Europhobe).
    Wasn't Cameron overheard saying something like "Brexit isn't as bad as we thought it would be"? Not exactly a ringing endorsement but it does feel like the world has moved on.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283

Well, he's not appeared in the first dozen posts... which is unusual!

The Oxford comma and the Cambridge coma...
    How can we cope, with no-one testing that comments are working?
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    What happened to Sunak's: "We’ve had thirty years of a political system that incentivises the easy decision, not the right one. Thirty years of vested interests standing in the way of change. Thirty years of rhetorical ambition which achieves little more than a short-term headline."?
  • Options
    Theresa May congratulates Cameron on his return to government
  • Options

I'm in the dentist waiting room. They've got Sky News on the TV. Kay Burley and some other fella sitting on the sofa heads down, reading stuff off their phones. No wonder I don't watch live telly anymore.

They were taking it in turns to read out Lord Cameron's long statement and wondering when he'd had written it.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,001
    Lol at Balls calling Owen Jones 'intellectually second rate' (which is generous) on GMB.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,232
    Jonathan said:

As with all things Sunak, this move is all about getting short-term headlines (in this case, a dead cat distracting from the Suella Sacking) and electoral positioning vs. Labour.

It's not a move about good government or setting the scene after the next GE. Will be hard to be FSec in the Lords during two wars.

Yes, I agree

It is pleasingly surprising - we all enjoy political theatre - but in the end it won’t do anything. It’s too late. This really is sacking the trombonist on the Titanic (as I said earlier) and replacing her with a robot elephant on Moog synthesiser

It will distract and maybe even amuse. But the band will likely get worse, and the ship is still decidedly sinking
  • Options
    It takes a certain type of Labour hack to think that Braverman being replaced by Cameron is good news for Labour!
  • Options

Well, he's not appeared in the first dozen posts... which is unusual!
    Maybe he did but he came prematurely?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

When was the last time a major cabinet position was held by someone not in the HoC?

I wonder if something happened on 4 April 1982 to convince them that FS was not a job for a superannuated old fool?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,542
    As others have said, it's rather telling that Sunak doesn't think any of his 350 MPs are up to the job of Foreign Secretary. I suspect some of the more ambitious may feel rather snubbed.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Lord Home was briefly PM in the Lords in 1963
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Lol at Balls calling Owen Jones 'intellectually second rate' (which is generous) on GMB.

I don’t actually think Owen Jones is intellectually second rate. But he has turned into an insufferably self-regarding twat, so it’s fun to see him squashed
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,209
    edited November 2023
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Wasn't Cameron overheard saying something like "Brexit isn't as bad as we thought it would be"? Not exactly a ringing endorsement but it does feel like the world has moved on.
    "I keep saying, it's a mistake not a disaster" was, IIRC, the line.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,774
    Well, colour me stumped. I didn't think she'd get sacked.

And whilst I broadly liked Cameron, and think ex PMs being properly involved in politics is not a bad idea, that's a bizarre appointment for all sorts of reasons.
  • Options
    Sunak sacking Suella, Bad Enoch, Coffey and recruiting a few people who are in possession of more than one brain cell is surprising. I agree with @isam that it will move the needle a bit. A wholesale purge of the populist right.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    https://twitter.com/David_Cameron/status/1724009967697514558

Though I may have disagreed with some individual decisions, it is clear to me that Rishi Sunak is a strong and capable Prime Minister, who is showing exemplary leadership at a difficult time.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I wonder if something happened on 4 April 1982 to convince them that FS was not a job for a superannuated old fool?
    Yes, a momentous event. A cabinet minister took responsibility for a f*ck-up and resigned as a point of honour.

Not sure that's happened since.
  • Options
    An unelected PM appointing as, an unelected, Foreign Secretary the man who cratered our international alliances and closet political and trading relationships, of decades of diplomacy and statecraft, because he was scared of his nutters, the swivel-eyed xenophobic nostalgics hankering for a return of Empire.

You think the Tories can’t get any lower but they always, somehow, manage it.

A damning indictment of the state of the party. The lack of quality on the backbenches and the deep divisions within the party as a whole are clear. Wasn’t Brexit meant to bring the party together?

For God’s sake give us an election.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,542

It takes a certain type of Labour hack to think that Braverman being replaced by Cameron is good news for Labour!

Nobody thinks that. Because Braverman hasn't been replaced by Cameron.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,657

Theresa May congratulates Cameron on his return to government

Well, he was such a masterful international negotiator...
  • Options

Sunak sacking Suella, Bad Enoch, Coffey and recruiting a few people who are in possession of more than one brain cell is surprising. I agree with @isam that it will move the needle a bit. A wholesale purge of the populist right.

Possibly - I haven't looked in detail - would have been a decent first cabinet to mark the change from Johnson and Truss. Too late now though, I think. People were willing to give Sunak a chance, but he's made too many mistakes now.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Balls is a class act, a proper old school bruiser, and a sharp intellect. The British political scene is much the weaker without him.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,355
    Oh dear Anne widdicome on sky doesn't like Dave
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    edited November 2023
    Conversation in my (middle class, fairly politically attuned) office: 'well who the leader of the party is is quite important, isn't it? Labour had it bad a couple of years back, didn't they, with the old guy who nobody liked' [pause while the three of them scrabble unsuccessfully for the name of Jeremy Corbyn]
    Always quite sobering to realise how little attention most people pay to politics.
  • Options
    Brilliant decision by the PM to make @David_Cameron #ForeignSecretary

Superb for 🇬🇧 - bringing his experience to guide us through difficult times

Excellent for the @Conservatives, showing @RishiSunak will fight the election on the centre ground

Bravo 👏🏻

https://twitter.com/MattHancock/status/1724011300290781280
  • Options

Braverman is being replaced by Cleverly.

While I'm not a Labour hack, I do think this is a net neutral for Labour. While it does indicate a tack to the centre, that will bring back some centrist Tory voters, in recent years Foreign Sec has been distinctly lower profile than in the past, and reinserting an ex-PM doesn't exactly scream "change" or "fresh ideas".
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

When you've predicted WW3, things tend to surprise on the up side. You hope.
  • Options

Strictly speaking she’s been replaced by Cleverly.

The net effect of this reshuffle today is clearly positive for the Conservatives. The long term impacts remain to be seen: if it triggers a right wing revolt then it may damage Sunak, but I’m not sure it will.

Cleverly just needs to do a half decent job for a year and he’s then odds on for next Tory leader.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

He's been fairly quiet out of office.

Still a terrible look to appoint a non MP.
  • Options

Leon said:

isam said:

Rightly or wrongly, it is amazing to see the host of a breakfast tv show to talk to a guest like this

https://x.com/archrose90/status/1723982498646925470?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

Hahaha

I do like Ed Balls. Can we not have him as Mayor of London, over the execrable Khan? Please?
    He is box office, excellent. However he would never take the mayoral job – the money isn't good enough. He earns a decent crust through his media work.
    Does he need the money that much? Besides, the mayor makes £155k a year and soon his wife will be a Cabinet Minister again, so the household income won’t exactly be meagre

And he is still quite young and obviously political. He must miss the cut and thrust compared to silly TV gigs. And, finally, he’d save us from ANOTHER term of the intolerably boring Khan
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Probably too late to save the election of course but I welcome Cameron back to the party - he respresents the centre ground and they need their toes back on it!
  • Options
    Ooops:

Today’s decision on HS2 is the wrong one. It will help to fuel the views of those who argue that we can no longer think or act for the long-term as a country; that we are heading in the wrong direction...

https://x.com/David_Cameron/status/1709579002220867922?s=20 4 October 2023
  • Options
    I wonder how long it will be before some scandal crops up...
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,209
    The Cameron pabulum:

"The Prime Minister has asked me to serve as his Foreign Secretary and I have gladly accepted.

We are facing a daunting set of international challenges, including the war in Ukraine and the crisis in the Middle East. At this time of profound global change, it has rarely been more important for this country to stand by our allies, strengthen our partnerships and make sure our voice is heard.

While I have been out of front-line politics for the last seven years, I hope that my experience – as Conservative Leader for eleven years and Prime Minister for six – will assist me in helping the Prime Minister to meet these vital challenges.

Britain is a truly international country. Our people live all over the world and our businesses trade in every corner of the globe. Working to help ensure stability and security on the global stage is both essential and squarely in our national interest. International security is vital for our domestic security.

Though I may have disagreed with some individual decisions, it is clear to me that Rishi Sunak is a strong and capable Prime Minister, who is showing exemplary leadership at a difficult time. I want to help him to deliver the security and prosperity our country needs and be part of the strongest possible team that serves the United Kingdom and that can be presented to the country when the General Election is held.

I believe in public service. That is what first motivated me to get involved in politics in the 1980s, to work in government in the 1990s, become a Member of Parliament in the 2000s and put myself forward as Party Leader and Prime Minister.

The UK’s Foreign Office, our Diplomatic Service, our Intelligence Services and our Aid and Development capabilities are some of the finest assets of their kind anywhere in the world. I know from my time in office that they are staffed by brilliant, patriotic and hard-working people. They have been well led by James Cleverly, with whom I look forward to working in his vital new role.

It will be an honour to serve our country alongside our dedicated FCDO staff and provide the continued leadership and support that they deserve."
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,265

Truly I don’t think it will move the dial one iota, except if anything more to Labour.

How so? Because such a massive shake up of the high offices of state 12 months before the election tells most people what they already knew: that this government is out of control and shambolic.

The only people who will see beyond that are the very few nerdy types on here (me incl.) who see someone like DC as a sensible choice.

But this has all been, and is, catastrophic for the party and their fortunes at the next election.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Braverman is being replaced by Cleverly.

While I'm not a Labour hack, I do think this is a net neutral for Labour. While it does indicate a tack to the centre, that will bring back some centrist Tory voters, in recent years Foreign Sec has been distinctly lower profile than in the past, and reinserting an ex-PM doesn't exactly scream "change" or "fresh ideas".
    I'm not sure foreign affairs wins you votes even if it can cost you vote. Especially when Labour are sensible now.

Health Secretary feels a bigger job thesedays.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Labour will doubtless be trawling Cameron's record on Foreign Policy (wrong on China & Middle East; questionable on Europe) and also his business record (Greensill and Covid VIP pipelines).
  • Options
    Wow. Looks like Rishi has played a blinder. Sacking the evil Suella was always going to be judicious, but the risk was that there would be a few days of divisive headlines as she and her henchmen sulked from the sidelines. But Rishi has ensured that the nation will be too busy partying over Dave's appointment to care. What a man!
  • Options

An unelected PM appointing as, an unelected, Foreign Secretary the man who cratered our international alliances and closet political and trading relationships, of decades of diplomacy and statecraft, because he was scared of his nutters, the swivel-eyed xenophobic nostalgics hankering for a return of Empire.

You think the Tories can’t get any lower but they always, somehow, manage it.

A damning indictment of the state of the party. The lack of quality on the backbenches and the deep divisions within the party as a whole are clear. Wasn’t Brexit meant to bring the party together?

For God’s sake give us an election.

TBF Dave did win both a leadership election and two general elections (well, one anyway) as leader, which is more than can be said for his new boss.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Hahaha

Does he need the money that much? Besides, the mayor makes £155k a year and soon his wife will be a Cabinet Minister again, so the household income won’t exactly be meagre

And he is still quite young and obviously political. He must miss the cut and thrust compared to silly TV gigs. And, finally, he’d save us from ANOTHER term of the intolerably boring Khan
    Lots don't need more money but still grasp every opportunity to get more.
  • Options

Oh dear Anne widdicome on sky doesn't like Dave

Was she wrong?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    tlg86 said:

https://twitter.com/David_Cameron/status/1724009967697514558

Though I may have disagreed with some individual decisions, it is clear to me that Rishi Sunak is a strong and capable Prime Minister, who is showing exemplary leadership..

...by appointing me to his cabinet.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    The last time a peer was Foreign Secretary Argentina invaded the Falklands and gifted the sitting Tory PM with a poll boost and an election victory. This occurred to me immediately and I imagine it's occurred to Sunak too. Will the Argies play ball though? If they don't all he's left with is a peer as Foreign Secretary.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    carnforth said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

"I keep saying, it's a mistake not a disaster" was, IIRC, the line.
    Possibly said a few years ago when it might have been true
  • Options
    TimS said:

Strictly speaking she’s been replaced by Cleverly.

The net effect of this reshuffle today is clearly positive for the Conservatives. The long term impacts remain to be seen: if it triggers a right wing revolt then it may damage Sunak, but I’m not sure it will.

Cleverly just needs to do a half decent job for a year and he’s then odds on for next Tory leader.
    Yes, this is fair. Braveman out, Cameron in is clearly a move to the centre, which is what the Tories desperately need.

Will there be any kind of rebellion though?
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,001
    Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

I don’t actually think Owen Jones is intellectually second rate. But he has turned into an insufferably self-regarding twat, so it’s fun to see him squashed
    Really? I don't think he's that smart at all. His books are a right mess, probably because he can't parlay an 800 word opinion piece into a proper coherent argument.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Hahaha

He's also a part time lecturer at Harvard isn't he ?
    Recently co-published a paper on regional economic inequalities in the UK, with some interesting analysis of how they might be addressed.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,355
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

He's been fairly quiet out of office.

Still a terrible look to appoint a non MP.
    No it isnt
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988
    Good! She’s gone! Now, Rishi, face up to the ERG. If they don’t like it, let them join Reform and see if anyone other than corrupt policemen, taxi drivers and football hooligans vote for them.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Hahaha

Ed Balls was one of those ministers the public loved to hate. He only achieved national treasure status after Strictly.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Ghedebrav said:

Balls is a class act, a proper old school bruiser, and a sharp intellect. The British political scene is much the weaker without him.
    He’s also a massive fan of the peerless Herbert Howells so can do no wrong.
  • Options
    I still cannot understand the choice given i doubt the party base likes Cameron, and him at the FCO won't presage a talk to the centre domestically, on top of the poor look of not being able to find a single MP to do the job.

Just a case of wanting to minimise a reshuffle?

In any case bravo Rishi, for baffling me so effectively.
  • Options

Wow. Looks like Rishi has played a blinder. Sacking the evil Suella was always going to be judicious, but the risk was that there would be a few days of divisive headlines as she and her henchmen sulked from the sidelines. But Rishi has ensured that the nation will be too busy partying over Dave's appointment to care. What a man!

It certainly seems to be working as a variant of dead cat. Cameron is more newsworthy than Suella’s sacking.

I’ve always thought FS would be by far the most enjoyable cabinet post, and the least risky. If things go really wrong in foreign affairs it’s the PM who gets the blame. There’s no BMA or police federation or teachers’ unions to piss off, and you’re not on the front line of spending arguments.

Home Sec must by contrast be the worst job. If I were Cleverly I’d be a bit annoyed.
  • Options
    Iain Martin
    @iainmartin1
    ·
    15m
    Sacked Suella Braverman departs, presumably headed for GB News. What is much more likely than Braverman becoming Tory leader is that she will become an active member of the conservative entertainment complex.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I still cannot understand the choice given i doubt the party base likes Cameron, and him at the FCO won't presage a talk to the centre domestically, on top of the poor look of not being able to find a single MP to do the job.

If I was a back bencher, I'd be fizzing. You've just been told that no one in the parliamentary party is good enough.
  • Options
    148grss said:

Where is the idea that people like David Cameron coming from? Labour voters don't like him, Lib Dem voters don't like him, I don't even know if the majority of Tory voters still like him (their golden boy is still Johnson).
    I think the idea might be to stem any leakage of centrist votes to Labour. I've seen some chatter about Reform being over represented in polling methodology but I confess that's a bit of a closed book to me. If I were to venture an opinion his looks like a "come and have a go if you think you're hard enough" to the ERG etc.
  • Options

A net increase of one more grown up in government is probably a good thing for the country, if a very small one now that things have got so bad on all fronts
  • Options
    TimS said:

It certainly seems to be working as a variant of dead cat. Cameron is more newsworthy than Suella’s sacking.

I’ve always thought FS would be by far the most enjoyable cabinet post, and the least risky. If things go really wrong in foreign affairs it’s the PM who gets the blame. There’s no BMA or police federation or teachers’ unions to piss off, and you’re not on the front line of spending arguments.

Home Sec must by contrast be the worst job. If I were Cleverly I’d be a bit annoyed.
    Cleverly must however be the front running 'sensible' candidate for LOTO. It won;t be Cameron or Hunt, so he's the only one of the 'big four' in place post election.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    That one was inevitable. Otherwise Britain would have been at a huge competitive disadvantage vs not only the EU but the rest of the world. CBAM was never going to be a wise thing to diverge on, and the government never suggested it would.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Lord Home was briefly PM in the Lords in 1963
    And then PM while in neither House, while he fought a by-election.

(Technically, ministers aren't members of the HoC during general elections either, though I guess that's not in the spirit of the question).
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,201
    148grss said:

Where is the idea that people like David Cameron coming from? Labour voters don't like him, Lib Dem voters don't like him, I don't even know if the majority of Tory voters still like him (their golden boy is still Johnson).
    I liked him as PM. I know lots despise him for the referendum, but he thought he needed to lance the Eurosceptic boil for good. And he did, just not how he planned.

I think the 2010-2015 government was closest to my political leanings - Toryism tempered with Lib dems. Its interesting to speculate what would have happened if 2015 had resulted in Coalition mark 2.
  • Options
    There are always second (or even third or fourth) acts in Etonian lives.
  • Options
    TimS said:

...Back in July, James Cleverly said at the Aspen Security Forum in the US that he would need to be dragged out his job with "nail marks down the parquet flooring".
  • Options
    CleitophonCleitophon Posts: 222
    edited November 2023
    Cameron on X this morning: "stand by our allies, strengthen our partnerships" "a strong supporter of the UK retaining its commitment to spending 0.7% of gross national income on international aid"

that is the kind of talk the natcons love
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755

Iain Martin
    @iainmartin1
    ·
    15m
    Sacked Suella Braverman departs, presumably headed for GB News. What is much more likely than Braverman becoming Tory leader is that she will become an active member of the conservative entertainment complex.

GB News have been quite positive about Cameron so far.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,201

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Hahaha

Ed Balls was one of those ministers the public loved to hate. He only achieved national treasure status after Strictly.
    I have a lot of time for him now and can see why Osbourne (for instance) got on well with him when they were in opposition. I think that the harshness of politics can obscure the humanity behind the mask.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988

kle4 said:

If I was a back bencher, I'd be fizzing. You've just been told that no one in the parliamentary party is good enough.
    Over the past few years, they’ve proved that they’re not.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755
    Cameron will probably shore up the blue wall and piss off the red one.
  • Options
    An unconscious paraphrase of Reagan's catchphrase about the 'most terrifying words in the English language' ?

...I may have disagreed with Sunak but I'm here to help - Cameron..
  • Options

There are always second (or even third or fourth) acts in Etonian lives.

Do we get a second set of memoirs? :open_mouth:
  • Options
    edited November 2023

148grss said:

I liked him as PM. I know lots despise him for the referendum, but he thought he needed to lance the Eurosceptic boil for good. And he did, just not how he planned.

I think the 2010-2015 government was closest to my political leanings - Toryism tempered with Lib dems. Its interesting to speculate what would have happened if 2015 had resulted in Coalition mark 2.
    Him being around is a danger to the Lib Dems in the blue wall. There are I sense a lot of fairly flaky Tories who were planning to vote Lib Dem but faced with a couple of tax cuts and a seemingly reassuring face or two in cabinet will jump at the chance to come home.

Doubt Dave helps in the red wall though.

EDIT: I see Alanbrooke made the same point more pithily.
  • Options
    Cameron gets FS so he can negotiate the terms for rejoining the EU.
  • Options
    TimS said:

148grss said:

Him being around is a danger to the Lib Dems in the blue wall. There are I sense a lot of fairly flaky Tories who were planning to vote Lib Dem but faced with a couple of tax cuts and a seemingly reassuring face or two in cabinet will jump at the chance to come home.
    That's no way to talk about a moderator!

This discussion has been closed.