Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Met is right to resist pressure on Palestinian march – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,685
edited November 2023 in General
The Met is right to resist pressure on Palestinian march – politicalbetting.com

There is a big political row growing over the plans to have a pro-Palestinian march this Sunday which of course is Remembrance Day.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    Second., even tho I saw it first
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,023
    On another note:

"Imran Hussain: Shadow minister quits Labour front bench over Gaza"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67353019

"He said he had "unequivocally condemned" Hamas's attack on 7 October and believed that "every country has the right to defend itself", but that that should "never become a right to deliberately violate international law on protecting civilians or to commit war crimes"."

Another person stating that, of course, Israel has the right to defend itself, but it cannot actually defend itself after an act of war has been committed against it.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    edited November 2023

It's not the Met's role to decide this; as long as the protests meet their legal requirements, they should go ahead.

edit: and first.

Although - to find myself in the unusual and somewhat annoying position of defending the Met if they were to ban it - isn’t it going to put quite a strain on their resources policing this march and the Remembrance Sunday parade at the same time?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

It's not the Met's role to decide this; as long as the protests meet their legal requirements, they should go ahead.

Although - to find myself in the unusual and somewhat annoying position of defending the Met if they were to ban it - isn’t it going to put quite a strain on their resources policing this march and the Remembrance Sunday parade at the same time?
    There may well be. Although if there are going to be policing issues, then they should ask the Home Secretary to make a judgement on which events should be allowed, and which postponed. Any ban/delay for non-legal reasons is a political decision, and should be made by a politician. Not the police.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    edited November 2023
    The planned march is on Saturday 11th, or Sunday 12th?

News sources appear to suggest that the Palestine march, and the EDL counter, are planned for Saturday. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/11/07/ban-pro-palestine-march-armistice-day-mark-rowley-hamas/
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/nov/07/no-grounds-to-ban-pro-palestine-march-in-london-on-armistice-day-met-believes

Whereas the formalities at the Cenotaph (with the Royals, Ministers, and other dignitaries) are on Remembrance Sunday.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

I agree.

Actually, I don't think it should be anyone's role to ban marches that meet legal requirements. The precedent is too ominous. Free speech isn't just for people who agree with me or anyone else.

Suppressing them would be counter-productive anyway because they give people a chance to let off steam. Protest is a substitute for achieving something.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,127

ydoethur said:

There may well be. Although if there are going to be policing issues, then they should ask the Home Secretary to make a judgement on which events should be allowed, and which postponed. Any ban/delay for non-legal reasons is a political decision, and should be made by a politician. Not the police.
    Obviously politicians should not be able to ban political marches if they are legal.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

I agree.

Actually, I don't think it should be anyone's role to ban marches that meet legal requirements. The precedent is too ominous. Free speech isn't just for people who agree with me or anyone else.

Suppressing them would be counter-productive anyway because they give people a chance to let off steam. Protest is a substitute for achieving something.
    Safety grounds is one that matters, and could apply. Say you had a planned protest that was well-organised, where the organisers had talked to the police and local authorities, and had been given the go-ahead. Another march applies for the same town and the same day; in negotiations with the organisers, the start time and route are changed slightly.

All good.

Then a third march is organised; again, they talk to the police and authorities, and meet all the legal requirements. But police are worried about their capacity to police this third march, and with things like public transport to get everyone in and out of the town. Should that third march get the go-ahead, or should the organisers be persuaded to try for a different day? (*)

So I'm not sayin they should be 'banned'; just that there are other factors. But if the police don't think they can cope with that third march, and the organisers choose to go ahead anyway, it should be a politician saying it should be stopped, not the police.

Although if people turn up for that third march, when the police are busy with the first two events, they're going to be in trouble anyway...

(*) I assume this is how it works...
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,127
    edited November 2023

Fishing said:

I agree.

Safety grounds is one that matters, and could apply. Say you had a planned protest that was well-organised, where the organisers had talked to the police and local authorities, and had been given the go-ahead. Another march applies for the same town and the same day; in negotiations with the organisers, the start time and route are changed slightly.

All good.

Then a third march is organised; again, they talk to the police and authorities, and meet all the legal requirements. But police are worried about their capacity to police this third march, and with things like public transport to get everyone in and out of the town. Should that third march get the go-ahead, or should the organisers be persuaded to try for a different day? (*)

So I'm not sayin they should be 'banned'; just that there are other factors. But if the police don't think they can cope with that third march, and the organisers choose to go ahead anyway, it should be a politician saying it should be stopped, not the police.

Although if people turn up for that third march, when the police are busy with the first two events, they're going to be in trouble anyway...

If there is no legal provision that covers that eventuality, then the law should be changed to cover it - with appropriate procedures and safeguards - rather than politicians having discretion to ban political marches without due process.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Second., even tho I saw it first

I guessed the thread had been held up by the Eagles clause
  • Options

On another note:

"He said he had "unequivocally condemned" Hamas's attack on 7 October and believed that "every country has the right to defend itself", but that that should "never become a right to deliberately violate international law on protecting civilians or to commit war crimes"."

Another person stating that, of course, Israel has the right to defend itself, but it cannot actually defend itself after an act of war has been committed against it.

I think what he's saying is that the right to defend oneself doesn't obviate the responsibility to abide by international law, a position that I agree with.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,650
    The Palestine march is on Saturday afternoon, so won't disturb any observance of an 1100 silence, and the route is planned to keep away from the Cenotaph area being prepared for the next morning.

Not my cup of tea, and I am working so not free in any case.

Those wanting the march stopped seem to disapprove of both cause and people which isn't in my eyes a valid reason to stop it.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Fishing said:

I agree.

All good.

If there is no legal provision that covers that eventuality, then the law should be changed to cover it - with appropriate procedures and safeguards - rather than politicians having discretion to ban political marches without due process.
    I differ on this. Politicians should have the discretion to ban *any* march - they are our elected representatives. But it should be known that they banned the march, and reasons should be given.

The 'rights' of a noisy minority to cause chaos to local areas is all too easily abused. Not all marchers / protestors are exactly pure of heart.
  • Options

On another note:

I think what he's saying is that the right to defend oneself doesn't obviate the responsibility to abide by international law, a position that I agree with.
    Yes, if a school shooter is locked in a classroom with hostages it isn't appropriate to bomb the school.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Chris said:

Fishing said:

I agree.

All good.

I differ on this. Politicians should have the discretion to ban *any* march - they are our elected representatives. But it should be known that they banned the march, and reasons should be given.

The 'rights' of a noisy minority to cause chaos to local areas is all too easily abused. Not all marchers / protestors are exactly pure of heart.
    Effectively that means a government (presumably Home Secretary) veto on any march or protest.

If only pro-government marches are allowed we have ceased to be a democracy.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,259
    edited November 2023

Chris said:

Fishing said:

I agree.

All good.

Marchers not being "exactly pure of heart" is simply not a good enough reason to restrict their right to protest. Nor is failing to have that much public sympathy a good enough reason.
  • Options

Chris said:

Fishing said:

I agree.

All good.

Marchers not being "exactly pure of heart" is simply not a good enough reason to restrict their right to protest. Nor is failing to have that much public sympathy a good enough reason.
    My point is that people may use marches as an excuse for something else, like causing criminal damage, chanting racist sh*t or having a good old-fashioned riot.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Chris said:

Fishing said:

I agree.

All good.

Effectively that means a government (presumably Home Secretary) veto on any march or protest.

And yes, that would be bad. On the other hand, it's a visible decision by a named person; not a committee decision in a darkened room by unnamed individuals.

Are you saying no march should ever be banned?
  • Options

Chris said:

Fishing said:

I agree.

All good.

My point is that people may use marches as an excuse for something else, like causing criminal damage, chanting racist sh*t or having a good old-fashioned riot.
    There were remarkably few arrests either during or after the previous marches, which considering the size of the march and passions of the demonstrators is quite remarkable.

What evidence do you have for criminal damage or rioting being likely?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

What usually happens if they are worried about their resources being strained is they cancel leave and bus policemen in from other parts of the country. A relative of mine is a policeman and when he was on the beat he found himself cancelling holiday plans being sent to parts of the country where trouble was expected. It only happened a couple of times in three years fortunately and neither time was there serious trouble afaik.
  • Options

Chris said:

Fishing said:

I agree.

All good.

That's a good reason to allow Police to make an intelligence-based public order assessment (as indeed they may) isn't it? Your argument was to allow the Home Secretary (or whoever) to have discretion to ban it for whatever reason they care to concoct.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

On another note:

Yes, if a school shooter is locked in a classroom with hostages it isn't appropriate to bomb the school.
    A rather crass analogy. Hamas is not a 'school shooter'; they are an organisation that wants to eradicate Jews. And the scale is rather different, too.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Foxy said:

Chris said:

Fishing said:

I agree.

All good.

And yes, that would be bad. On the other hand, it's a visible decision by a named person; not a committee decision in a darkened room by unnamed individuals.

Pretty much.

It is reasonable for any counter demonstration to be kept separate, and for police and crowd marshalls to negotiate appropriate routes in the interest of crowd and public safety etc
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    ydoethur said:

Strain on resources is not grounds for a ban, though; strong evidence of likely public disorder is required.

Where you draw the line isn't entirely clear, as it's relatively recent legislation which hasn't been tested often enough in court precisely to define the boundaries.
  • Options

Chris said:

Fishing said:

I agree.

All good.

They have the power to legislate.
    Giving them the power to adjudicate on individual matches is a truly dreadful idea.
  • Options

Chris said:

Fishing said:

I agree.

All good.

That's a good reason to allow Police to make an intelligence-based public order assessment (as indeed they may) isn't it? Your argument was to allow the Home Secretary (or whoever) to have discretion to ban it for whatever reason they care to concoct.
    Yes, in extremis. I'd argue if there's an "intelligence-based public order assessment" reason to ban (or delay) a march, then that requires a politician in the loop and taking responsibility.

Otherwise you might just have senior police officers banning marches (or allowing them...) for whatever reason they care to concoct, as intelligence can often not become public.

Let elected politicians make the decisions, and have to stand by those decisions. Not the police. The police should just decide if the march meets the legal requirements; anything above that should be a political decision.
  • Options

Chris said:

Fishing said:

I agree.

All good.

I'm sure quite a few of them will. But we should arrest and prosecute them for doing so after the event, rather than restrict everybody else's right to free speech because of what they might or might not do.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

No they should not.
    Marches should not be banned for political reasons.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Chris said:

Fishing said:

I agree.

All good.

Giving them the power to adjudicate on individual matches is a truly dreadful idea.
    Who else should adjudicate? Or should there be no adjudication, ever?
  • Options

Foxy said:

On another note:

A rather crass analogy. Hamas is not a 'school shooter'; they are an organisation that wants to eradicate Jews. And the scale is rather different, too.
    The principle is the same.

Or do you think any scale of destruction and death in Gaza is justified? Would a million deaths be too many? 100 000? 50 000? Where would you draw the line?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,420
    The Met have created another fuckup - there is a y in the day.

They’ve been “advising” people not hold demos on “safety” grounds since this war started.

The reason - they didn’t want two opposing sets of protestors on the streets, even in different bits of London.

Realising this, the dung beetles of the EDL sensed shit. So they planned their march, entirely to setup for

1) Banning marches
    2) A violent riot
    3) Lots of racism on display
    4) EDL tries to play victim. Fascists, like all totalitarians, like cosplaying victimhood.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

On another note:

Or do you think any scale of destruction and death in Gaza is justified? Would a million deaths be too many? 100 000? 50 000? Where would you draw the line?
    I have no idea. It's a hideous situation, but I'd also point out that Hamas are to blame for that situation, not Israel. What would you have Israel do?

As for the principle; it is not the same at all. A 'school shooter' is an individual; Hamas are a massive group running a pseudo-state.
  • Options
    Btw, the header is uncharacteristically wrong.

The march(es) is (are) planned for Remembrance Day - but that's Saturday, not Sunday.

There will be no clash with the ceremony.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,265
    Agree with Mike. Whatever one’s take on this or anything else it’s awful in a democracy if people can’t express their views publicly and peacefully in a collective rally.

The erosion of civil liberties should hardly surprise us though. It has been a consistent theme of the current Government.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

Fishing said:

I agree.

All good.

The Met are following the current law, which sets out the parameters. They do non believe there are legal grounds for a ban, and are (for once) very probably right about that.
    The courts interpret the law, of course.

And, of course, the Public Order Act already gives ministers power to amend the law without real Parliamentary scrutiny.
    https://www.libertyhumanrights.org.uk/advice_information/pcsc-policing-act-protest-rights/
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

On another note:

I have no idea. It's a hideous situation, but I'd also point out that Hamas are to blame for that situation, not Israel. What would you have Israel do?

As for the principle; it is not the same at all. A 'school shooter' is an individual; Hamas are a massive group running a pseudo-state.
    There must be a line where the slaughter becomes unacceptable, or is total destruction of Gaza, with expulsion or extermination of all its inhabitants fine and reasonable?
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

On another note:

There must be a line where the slaughter becomes unacceptable, or is total destruction of Gaza, with expulsion or extermination of all its inhabitants fine and reasonable?
    There must be a line where the slaughter becomes unacceptable, or is total destruction of Israel, with expulsion or extermination of all its inhabitants fine and reasonable?

Because that's what Hamas want.

And yes, there is a line. I've just no idea where that line is. But it's not at an Israel-does-nothing point.

I'd also point out that Hamas should immediately release all hostages back to Israel, and stop firing rockets.

Edit: and you ignored my question, which is rather important: "What would you have Israel do?"
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

Fishing said:

I agree.

All good.

The Met are following the current law, which sets out the parameters. They do non believe there are legal grounds for a ban, and are (for once) very probably right about that.

(Snip)
    To be clear, I'm not calling for any of the marches this weekend to be banned. Just that the HS should have the right to do so in extremis - and to be seen as doing so.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Agree with Mike. Whatever one’s take on this or anything else it’s awful in a democracy if people can’t express their views publicly and peacefully in a collective rally.

The erosion of civil liberties should hardly surprise us though. It has been a consistent theme of the current Government.

Agreed. The Public Order Act is already pretty illiberal.
  • Options
    Health Secretary Steve Barclay says it’s “provocative” to hold a protest for a ceasefire on Armistice Day, saying there are other days people should march on.

Forgive me for being old school but I don’t think it’s for the government to decide what days opposition happens.

https://twitter.com/josiahmortimer/status/1722160858719977514
  • Options
    FPT but vaguely on topic.

How did I miss this?

David Davis: Removing warrant requirement is 'fundamental mistake'

David Davis has argued the Government will make a “fundamental mistake” if it goes ahead with plans to let the police search properties without a court warrant.

The former Brexit secretary, a long-standing campaigner for civil rights, said the move would take away a “fundamental foundation stone… of free British society”.

He continued: “It’s there with jury trials and it’s there with the presumption of innocence.

“The right not to have the state kick your door down and come search your house with judicial approval is a massively important British value. The judicial control of the police is vital and must be preserved.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/11/07/rishi-sunak-latest-news-parliament-opening-live/#1699376111243
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,265
    edited November 2023

Foxy said:

Chris said:

Fishing said:

I agree.

All good.

the Met's manpower… [italics mine]
    The Met’s resources

• Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    A good night for the Democrats, holding KY-GOV and holding/taking the VA Legislature as well as taking a bunch of minor but competitive races in PA, WA and other places. Maintains something of a run of real elections being more positive for the Dems than polls.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,630

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

On another note:

There must be a line where the slaughter becomes unacceptable, or is total destruction of Israel, with expulsion or extermination of all its inhabitants fine and reasonable?

And yes, there is a line. I've just no idea where that line is. But it's not at an Israel-does-nothing point.

I'd also point out that Hamas should immediately release all hostages back to Israel, and stop firing rockets.

Edit: and you ignored my question, which is rather important: "What would you have Israel do?"
    Why are you playing rhetorical games? I think everyone here, certainly nearly everyone, agrees that Hamas should release all hostages and stop firing missiles. No-one has said Israel should do nothing.

People have repeatedly answered your question of what should Israel do. Take military action against Hamas, but drop fewer bombs and target civilian infrastructure less. Meanwhile, they could also halt the illegal settlements in the West Bank.

But I don’t know why I’m bothering to reply as you will be saying the same thing tomorrow and the day after.
  • Options

Health Secretary Steve Barclay says it’s “provocative” to hold a protest for a ceasefire on Armistice Day, saying there are other days people should march on.

Forgive me for being old school but I don’t think it’s for the government to decide what days opposition happens.

It makes you wonder if Steve Barclay knows the meaning of the word Armistice.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,631

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

Fishing said:

I agree.

All good.

(Snip)
    To be clear, I'm not calling for any of the marches this weekend to be banned. Just that the HS should have the right to do so in extremis - and to be seen as doing so.
    No. You know what happens then. In extremis becomes more and more widely drawn. It ceases to be about safety and public order and becomes about the aesthetics and tastes of the government.

We’ve seen more than enough evidence of this sort of drift towards managed democracy in former Soviet countries, in Poland and Hungary, Turkey and of course Russia itself to know it only goes one way. It starts with innocent enough excuses (like traffic congestion or stretched policing) that become ever more blatant over time.

The initial judgment should be with police but that power should also be subject to judicial oversight. Keep it as far away from parliament as possible. Let them argue over the politics, not permission.

The stop the war coalition are a spectrum from naive peaceniks to borderline
    malevolent but they have as much right to protest as anyone else.
  • Options
    Amused by Ravi Shastri describing England v The Netherlands as the European derby.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

On another note:

Why are you playing rhetorical games? I think everyone here, certainly nearly everyone, agrees that Hamas should release all hostages and stop firing missiles. No-one has said Israel should do nothing.

People have repeatedly answered your question of what should Israel do. Take military action against Hamas, but drop fewer bombs and target civilian infrastructure less. Meanwhile, they could also halt the illegal settlements in the West Bank.

But I don’t know why I’m bothering to reply as you will be saying the same thing tomorrow and the day after.
    How do you know 'certainly nearly everyone, agrees...', because as far as I can tell, few people calling for a 'ceasefire' actually mention it; their onus is always on Israel. I might suggest that Hamas releasing the prisoners might be a good way of getting a ceasefire. It is massively important to Israel.

"Take military action against Hamas, but drop fewer bombs and target civilian infrastructure less." is a really easy thing to say, but perhaps impossible given the size of Gaza and where Hamas have put many of their facilities. It's little more than a way to excoriate Israel for what it's doing, without giving a reasonable alternative.

"Why are you playing rhetorical games? "

I'm not. Asking people for their alternatives, when they strongly state something should not be done, is reasonable.

And the [people who want Israel to cease to exist will be saying the same things tomorrow and the day after.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

On another note:

None of that is the same as ceasefire though. Western governments should absolutely be putting pressure on Israel to take more care and be less cavalier in the way it executes this war. Ceasefire, though, is empty rhetoric at best (we want an end to bloodshed), pro-Hamas at worst (give Hamas time and space to plan the next pogrom).

A lot of the same people were calling for ceasefire and a peace deal with Russia last spring. Doing so would have meant advancing a step closer to elimination of Ukraine as an independent entity.
  • Options
    I've had a cheeky bet on The Netherlands to win today.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

On another note:

The slaughter *is already* unacceptable. What is happening there is grotesque. But what is the alternative? Does Ceasefire Now end the war?

Imagine having terrorists running your NHS trust. An army of psychopaths under your hospital. Weapons and guns stored under your wards. This is the reality of what Hamas have done to Gaza. They are not about to stop because people in the west are appalled by the slaughter.

So what does Israel do?
  • Options

I'm with Alastair.

I really can't get my head around the idea that it's unacceptable to call for a ceasefire on Armistice Day.

https://twitter.com/AlastairMeeks/status/1722163171270517237
  • Options

How did I miss this?

David Davis has argued the Government will make a “fundamental mistake” if it goes ahead with plans to let the police search properties without a court warrant.

The former Brexit secretary, a long-standing campaigner for civil rights, said the move would take away a “fundamental foundation stone… of free British society”.

He continued: “It’s there with jury trials and it’s there with the presumption of innocence.

“The right not to have the state kick your door down and come search your house with judicial approval is a massively important British value. The judicial control of the police is vital and must be preserved.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/11/07/rishi-sunak-latest-news-parliament-opening-live/#1699376111243

Typo in that Telegraph report which reverses Davis's meaning. He said without judicial approval (not with).

From Hansard:-

This is one of the fundamental foundation stones of a free British society, along with jury trials and the presumption of innocence. The right not to have the state kick your door down and search your house without judicial approval is a massively important British value.
    https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2023-11-07/debates/4BADC4BB-07D9-4376-ABE6-069C9823F38A/DebateOnTheAddress
  • Options

On another note:

The problem is that Hamas know the international law, and are putting Israel into a position where they cannot fight back without seeming (at least) to break that law.

I've asked people many times on here, what Israel *should* do? I've had one answer from @Richard_Tyndall ; assassinations. Which is a good answer, but probably won't help immediately, won't cure the problem, and might have massive international repurcussions.

So anyone who is calling for 'peace' (and always from Israel, and rarely Hamas / Hezbollah as well) should state *what* they want Israel to do. for many, I fear the answer is "cease to exist*. either because that's what they want, or because they don't realise that's the end result of what they're calling for.
    This is absolutely the answer. An awful lot of people - myself included - are horrified by what we see in Gaza. People look for simplistic answers to difficult issues. Some of the marches and some of the people marching on them are explicitly calling for the eradication of Israel. Many will march on one explicitly calling for the eradication of Israel without openly feeling genocidal but that's what they are doing. Others just want the killing to stop.

Here is the problem. I read this morning in the *Financial Times* that the al-Shifa hospital in Gaza City has an extensive network of Hamas tunnels underneath it. As Israel closes the net on Hamas we know exactly what people will say - evil Israel attacking a hospital. Not evil Hamas turning a hospital into their base. They will demand a Ceasefire Now. That Israel not attack the hospital. They say for peace, but in harsh reality for Hamas.

There is no easy out, no simple solution. A heavily armed terrorist organisation - funded and equipped by Iran - is under this hospital. Under people's homes and businesses. You can't just stop fighting. Or Hamas win. And after a brief pause the fighting goes on, likely this time with Hamas and IJ / Hezbollah going at Israel on multiple fronts.

Israel faces defeat. Again. And yet is seen as the aggressor. The psychopaths digging themselves under the hospital seen as the victims. It is a perverse world we now live in.
    So are you arguing that the destruction of one of the few remaining hospitals in a war zone is justified?

At what point do you think the destruction becomes excessive? Or is there no line to cross.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

Fishing said:

I agree.

All good.

(Snip)
    No. You know what happens then. In extremis becomes more and more widely drawn. It ceases to be about safety and public order and becomes about the aesthetics and tastes of the government.

We’ve seen more than enough evidence of this sort of drift towards managed democracy in former Soviet countries, in Poland and Hungary, Turkey and of course Russia itself to know it only goes one way. It starts with innocent enough excuses (like traffic congestion or stretched policing) that become ever more blatant over time.

The initial judgment should be with police but that power should also be subject to judicial oversight. Keep it as far away from parliament as possible. Let them argue over the politics, not permission.

Forget 'becomes more widely drawn'; how do you define it in the first place ?

The Public Order Act already gives plenty (FWIW, I'd argue too many) grounds to ban public protests.

In this context it would just be giving the HS the power to ban protests they didn't like.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

Fishing said:

I agree.

All good.

(Snip)

I'm not saying they don't have the right to protest. I'm not calling for any of the protests this weekend to be banned.

But I'd rather have an elected politician publicly banning something, than nameless people from the police, judiciary or security services doing it.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

On another note:

How do they do that when Hamas are inside and underneath civilian targets? As the IDF close the net on Hamas they face having to take al-Shifa. Some challenge - remove the offensive capabilities of Hamas when they are literally inside and underneath the hospital.

At which point do Hamas get any of the blame.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

How did I miss this?

Typo in that Telegraph report which reverses Davis's meaning. He said without judicial approval (not with).

From Hansard:-

This is one of the fundamental foundation stones of a free British society, along with jury trials and the presumption of innocence. The right not to have the state kick your door down and search your house without judicial approval is a massively important British value.
    https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2023-11-07/debates/4BADC4BB-07D9-4376-ABE6-069C9823F38A/DebateOnTheAddress
    Probably not a typo.
    Telegraph writers are too thick to understand a double negative.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

On another note:

The slaughter *is already* unacceptable. What is happening there is grotesque. But what is the alternative? Does Ceasefire Now end the war?

Imagine having terrorists running your NHS trust. An army of psychopaths under your hospital. Weapons and guns stored under your wards. This is the reality of what Hamas have done to Gaza. They are not about to stop because people in the west are appalled by the slaughter.

So what does Israel do?
    If the answer is war crimes, then we are asking the wrong question. Fighting terrorism should not involve lowering ourselves to the level of the Hamas terrorists and kidnappers.

It is an unequal war with terrorists, but it has to stay unequal if we (or Israel) is to remain civilised.

• Options

I'm with Alastair.

I really can't get my head around the idea that it's unacceptable to call for a ceasefire on Armistice Day.

But we should hand the power to decide to ban matches to such politicians...
  • Options

The sight, or rather sound, of politicians dancing on the head of this pin is not edifying.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

I'm with Alastair.

Yes, in extremis. You would rather it not be done, and potentially bad things happen in some cases, or it be done behind closed doors.

I accept there are dangers; but there are also dangers the other way, too.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

I've had a cheeky bet on The Netherlands to win today.

Are you TRYING to antagonise Norman Tebbit?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,201
    Heathener said:

Foxy said:

Chris said:

Fishing said:

I agree.

All good.

the Met's manpower… [italics mine]
    The Met’s resources

Manpower does not equal resources and it doesn’t mean just male officers.

It’s a word for fecks sake.

And people wonder why some get irate about woke.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

On another note:

So what does Israel do?
    If the answer is war crimes, then we are asking the wrong question. Fighting terrorism should not involve lowering ourselves to the level of the Hamas terrorists and kidnappers.

It is an unequal war with terrorists, but it has to stay unequal if we (or Israel) is to remain civilised.
    "It is an unequal war with terrorists,"

No. It is an unequal war with a government consisting of terrorists. And it's more unequal if you don't allow Israel to fight back.

The sad thing is, 'a government consisting of terrorists' can also be thrown against Israel. Thanks, Netanyahu ...
  • Options

I'm with Alastair.

Depends on what the protest is and who has called it. As an example, last weekend there was a protest in Newcastle. Organised by "Friends of Al-Asqa" - a pro-Hamas organisation.

I have sympathy for everyone who wants to march calling for peace. But if you march with FOA or on one of their rallies you do not march for peace. You march for genocide whether you know it or not. So who is organising the marches on Saturday?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

On another note:

How do you know 'certainly nearly everyone, agrees...', because as far as I can tell, few people calling for a 'ceasefire' actually mention it; their onus is always on Israel. I might suggest that Hamas releasing the prisoners might be a good way of getting a ceasefire. It is massively important to Israel.

"Take military action against Hamas, but drop fewer bombs and target civilian infrastructure less." is a really easy thing to say, but perhaps impossible given the size of Gaza and where Hamas have put many of their facilities. It's little more than a way to excoriate Israel for what it's doing, without giving a reasonable alternative.

I'm not. Asking people for their alternatives, when they strongly state something should not be done, is reasonable.

And the [people who want Israel to cease to exist will be saying the same things tomorrow and the day after.
    How do I know what people here think? Because I’ve been reading lots of these threads. Show me the posts where people think Hamas should keep firing missiles.

Are you an expert in urban warfare? You are quick to dismiss the possibility that Israel could act differently in Gaza. The amount of bombing they’re doing is much higher than other recent urban conflicts in the region. Israel dropped more bombs on Gaza in 6 days than the US-led coalition dropped in any month fighting ISIS. Israel possesses total military superiority over Hamas. I don’t see the need for their bombing strategy.

You keep asking people for their alternatives. People keep giving you alternatives, and you don’t engage with those answers. You dismiss out of hand the possibility of different Israeli military tactics. You skip over the suggestion that Israel could halt its illegal settlements.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

The police have been telling people organising anything which might be seen as pro-Jewish that their marches would be “provocative” and a “threat to public order”

EDIT: as unusual, “operational convenience” has created a fuck up. When you ban one side (in effect), the other will start asking for “some of that”.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,201
    Vanilla
  • Options
    TimS said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

On another note:

None of that is the same as ceasefire though. Western governments should absolutely be putting pressure on Israel to take more care and be less cavalier in the way it executes this war. Ceasefire, though, is empty rhetoric at best (we want an end to bloodshed), pro-Hamas at worst (give Hamas time and space to plan the next pogrom).

A lot of the same people were calling for ceasefire and a peace deal with Russia last spring. Doing so would have meant advancing a step closer to elimination of Ukraine as an independent entity.
    No, it isn’t the same as a ceasefire. I’m not arguing for a ceasefire.

Discussion will just go round and round and round in circles if we just keep strawmanning any contrary view.
  • Options
    Some good news from the Middle East:-

‘Nothing short of astounding’: How Egypt defied the odds to eliminate hepatitis C
    Within a decade, the country has gone from having among the worst global rates of the disease to near eradication

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/how-egypt-eliminated-hepatitis-c-middle-east-health/ (£££)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

On another note:

So what does Israel do?

{Vladimiro Lenin Ilich Montesinos Torres has entered the chat, and buried much of it in a shallow grave}
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

On another note:

So what does Israel do?

Oh I agree - this has to be civilisation defeating barbarism. But who is committing the war crimes? Is building a terrorist citadel underneath hospitals and schools and homes not a war crime? Yes Israel needs to be held to account for civilian lives - but does not Hamas as well?

The solution is for a 3rd party to guarantee the peace. Send it (as an example) a heavily armed Saudi force to separate the two protagonists and build a secure peace for Gaza.

Two problems: no suitable 3rd party will do the job, and if they did Hamas would attack them. Should Israel remain civilised if staying civil means that it gets exterminated? Because that is the mission of Hamas, that is the mission of Hezbollah - who undoubtedly would launch their attack if Ceasefire Now happens - and that is the will of Iran.

What is happening in Gaza is appalling. But the fault is not with Israel. It is with Hamas. Ceasefire Now should be demanding that *Hamas* stop, that Hamas release the hostages, that Hamas clear the tunnels and open itself to UN inspection, that Hamas should allow free elections.

Hamas is the aggressor, not Israel.
  • Options

TimS said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

On another note:

No, it isn’t the same as a ceasefire. I’m not arguing for a ceasefire.

Discussion will just go round and round and round in circles if we just keep strawmanning any contrary view.
    Or, conversely, there’s rather more consensus on this board than the debate format implies. When all’s said and done.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Nigelb said:

I'm with Alastair.

Yes, in extremis. You would rather it not be done, and potentially bad things happen in some cases, or it be done behind closed doors.

I accept there are dangers; but there are also dangers the other way, too.
    What on earth do you mean by "in extremis" - and how do you limit a politician's decisions to what you think meets that definition ?

Substituting the rule of ministers for the rule of law does not end well.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

On another note:

How do they do that when Hamas are inside and underneath civilian targets? As the IDF close the net on Hamas they face having to take al-Shifa. Some challenge - remove the offensive capabilities of Hamas when they are literally inside and underneath the hospital.

At which point do Hamas get any of the blame.
    There is plenty of blame to heap on Hamas. Show me where I have said Hamas is innocent. I have said Israel should use military force against Hamas and, if possible, those responsible for 7 Oct should be put on trial for war crimes.
  • Options

I'm with Alastair.

Depends on what the protest is and who has called it. As an example, last weekend there was a protest in Newcastle. Organised by "Friends of Al-Asqa" - a pro-Hamas organisation.

I have sympathy for everyone who wants to march calling for peace. But if you march with FOA or on one of their rallies you do not march for peace. You march for genocide whether you know it or not. So who is organising the marches on Saturday?
    That's absurd. It's like claiming anyone turning out on Sunday with a poppy at their local memorial is glorifying war, just because that is the motivation of a few participants.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755

Some good news from the Middle East:-

‘Nothing short of astounding’: How Egypt defied the odds to eliminate hepatitis C
    Within a decade, the country has gone from having among the worst global rates of the disease to near eradication

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/how-egypt-eliminated-hepatitis-c-middle-east-health/ (£££)

Egypt is doing someinteresting things at the moment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egypt_Vision_2030

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Administrative_Capital

maybe we should ask them to run the UK for a bit.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

On another note:

How do I know what people here think? Because I’ve been reading lots of these threads. Show me the posts where people think Hamas should keep firing missiles.

Are you an expert in urban warfare? You are quick to dismiss the possibility that Israel could act differently in Gaza. The amount of bombing they’re doing is much higher than other recent urban conflicts in the region. Israel dropped more bombs on Gaza in 6 days than the US-led coalition dropped in any month fighting ISIS. Israel possesses total military superiority over Hamas. I don’t see the need for their bombing strategy.

You keep asking people for their alternatives. People keep giving you alternatives, and you don’t engage with those answers. You dismiss out of hand the possibility of different Israeli military tactics. You skip over the suggestion that Israel could halt its illegal settlements.
    What alternatives have people given? Aside from Richard Tyndall, I don't think I've seen an alternative.

Saying "They should go in, but cause less casualties" is not an answer. For one thing, they question becomes what is an 'acceptable' number of casualties. For another, they don't say how that is supposed to be done. Your 'Are you an expert in urban warfare?' applies as much to people who say that, as it does to me.

I've no idea what the answer is. Neither, it seems, do you. Hamas know the international laws, and are using them against Israel. Hamas are evil, but not stupid.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,011
    Creating a million refugees ("IDPs"). Good or bad? What if they were Israelis?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

On another note:

So what does Israel do?

Oh I agree - this has to be civilisation defeating barbarism. But who is committing the war crimes? Is building a terrorist citadel underneath hospitals and schools and homes not a war crime? Yes Israel needs to be held to account for civilian lives - but does not Hamas as well?

The solution is for a 3rd party to guarantee the peace. Send it (as an example) a heavily armed Saudi force to separate the two protagonists and build a secure peace for Gaza.

Two problems: no suitable 3rd party will do the job, and if they did Hamas would attack them. Should Israel remain civilised if staying civil means that it gets exterminated? Because that is the mission of Hamas, that is the mission of Hezbollah - who undoubtedly would launch their attack if Ceasefire Now happens - and that is the will of Iran.

What is happening in Gaza is appalling. But the fault is not with Israel. It is with Hamas. Ceasefire Now should be demanding that *Hamas* stop, that Hamas release the hostages, that Hamas clear the tunnels and open itself to UN inspection, that Hamas should allow free elections.

Hamas is the aggressor, not Israel.
    Spot on
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I'm with Alastair.

That's absurd. It's like claiming anyone turning out on Sunday with a poppy at their local memorial is glorifying war, just because that is the motivation of a few participants.
    Did you actually read the post you were replying to? Would you march with FOA? Would you support people marching with FOA?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

On another note:

The problem is that Hamas know the international law, and are putting Israel into a position where they cannot fight back without seeming (at least) to break that law.

I've asked people many times on here, what Israel *should* do? I've had one answer from @Richard_Tyndall ; assassinations. Which is a good answer, but probably won't help immediately, won't cure the problem, and might have massive international repurcussions.

So anyone who is calling for 'peace' (and always from Israel, and rarely Hamas / Hezbollah as well) should state *what* they want Israel to do. for many, I fear the answer is "cease to exist*. either because that's what they want, or because they don't realise that's the end result of what they're calling for.
    This is absolutely the answer. An awful lot of people - myself included - are horrified by what we see in Gaza. People look for simplistic answers to difficult issues. Some of the marches and some of the people marching on them are explicitly calling for the eradication of Israel. Many will march on one explicitly calling for the eradication of Israel without openly feeling genocidal but that's what they are doing. Others just want the killing to stop.

Here is the problem. I read this morning in the *Financial Times* that the al-Shifa hospital in Gaza City has an extensive network of Hamas tunnels underneath it. As Israel closes the net on Hamas we know exactly what people will say - evil Israel attacking a hospital. Not evil Hamas turning a hospital into their base. They will demand a Ceasefire Now. That Israel not attack the hospital. They say for peace, but in harsh reality for Hamas.

There is no easy out, no simple solution. A heavily armed terrorist organisation - funded and equipped by Iran - is under this hospital. Under people's homes and businesses. You can't just stop fighting. Or Hamas win. And after a brief pause the fighting goes on, likely this time with Hamas and IJ / Hezbollah going at Israel on multiple fronts.

Israel faces defeat. Again. And yet is seen as the aggressor. The psychopaths digging themselves under the hospital seen as the victims. It is a perverse world we now live in.
    So are you arguing that the destruction of one of the few remaining hospitals in a war zone is justified?

At what point do you think the destruction becomes excessive? Or is there no line to cross.
    So we get a ceasefire. Briefly. Then the terrorists come out from under the hospital with their weapons and it starts again.

What ceasefire...
  • Options

I'm with Alastair.

The Palestine Solidarity Campaign are the main organisers, I believe.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541

On another note:

It is of course easier to say: "IMHO international law of war has been broken by Israel in Gaza and I just know, and people who don't agree are baby murderers" than to say: " Matters of the International law of war in Gaza are matters for complex adjudication after assessing all the evidence and hearing all sides and takes years."
  • Options

I'm with Alastair.

Supporting the right to match us not the same thing as supporting a march.

Barclay has every right to criticise the march - and I might agree with him, were he to do so in terms which aren't idiotic.

Arguing it shouldn't take place is another matter.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I'm with Alastair.

Huh? The poppy campaign remembers those killed in war and raises money for the RBL. FOA are marching *for war*. There is a huge difference.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    EPG said:

Creating a million refugees ("IDPs"). Good or bad? What if they were Israelis?

Here are 1.7 million refugees being deported to a theocracy which cant support them.

Where's the outrage ?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/nov/06/the-guardian-view-on-pakistans-expulsion-of-afghans-dont-send-them-back-to-the-taliban
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

On another note:

What alternatives have people given? Aside from Richard Tyndall, I don't think I've seen an alternative.

Saying "They should go in, but cause less casualties" is not an answer. For one thing, they question becomes what is an 'acceptable' number of casualties. For another, they don't say how that is supposed to be done. Your 'Are you an expert in urban warfare?' applies as much to people who say that, as it does to me.

I've no idea what the answer is. Neither, it seems, do you. Hamas know the international laws, and are using them against Israel. Hamas are evil, but not stupid.
    Israel is doing “Force Protection” gone mad. Anything is OK if it reduces risk to Israeli soldiers.

This is a stupid and morally bankrupt way to proceed. Ultimately, what is the limit - “take off and nuke the place from orbit”?

As the Americans found in Iraq and Afghanistan, where they switched to COIN tactics - which accept increased risk to troops and much less civilian death and destruction.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Chris said:

Fishing said:

I agree.

All good.

You already have your wish. If the Metropolitan Police wants to ban this (or any) march because of a threat to public order, they actually request the Home Secretary does it. Here is the government's account of a previous occasion this power was exercised:-

But the Metropolitan Police Service applied for permission to stop the protests amid public order fears.

After receiving the official application late on Thursday, Home Secretary Theresa May today agreed to a ban across five London boroughs.

She said: ‘Having carefully considered the legal tests in the Public Order Act and balanced rights to protest against the need to ensure local communities and property are protected, I have given my consent to a ban on all marches in Tower Hamlets and four neighbouring boroughs for a 30-day period.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/home-secretary-agrees-march-ban
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

On another note:

I have given 2 specific suggestions. First, drop fewer bombs. I have given a specific counter-example of the anti-ISIS fight which was also targeting an embedded extremist force, but used far fewer bombs.

Second, stop the settlements. Israeli settlements on the West Bank are illegal under international law and a barrier to peace.

You have not engaged with either of these points.
  • Options
    I know that we're going round in circles. The world is. I apparently read like some blood-thirsty lunatic not caring for civilians. If there was a viable ceasefire then of course we should have it now. Yesterday. Last week.

The problem is that Ceasefire Now is not a ceasefire where hostilities end. Lets say that the IDF stop - Hamas won't. They will push out propaganda for a period whilst they get fresh arms in from Iran. Then they go again.
This discussion has been closed.