Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Poll on the Indyref

Comments

• Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Martin McKee ‏@martinmckee 6h

How #Eurosceptics threaten UK research and innovation. Excellent assessment by @mikegalsworthy http://www.theguardian.com/science/political-science/2014/feb/18/eurosceptics-could-damage-british-science-and-innovation
    That should please the Cameroons.

;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Yougov should do a daily referendum poll. That'd keep us entertained.......... ;-)

Please don't give them ideas.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Ave it late night grammar lesson!

I am tim
    You are tim
    He/she is tim
    We are tim
    They are tim
    You (plural) are tim
    Moderators are not tim
  • Options

SeanT said:

Hugh said:

SeanT said:

Hugh said:

Must say, some splendid footy punditry from SeanT earlier, as the "EPL" richest team plods around chasing Barca like the Dog and Duck XI after 3 pints of Greene King watching some Morris Dancing.

Ah, so you ARE tim. My hope was to smoke you out. You couldn't resist, could you?

Arf.
    No I'm not.

I need to make that very clear, again, because I know (from reading posts here) that Tim has a) outstanding bets and b) an impeccable reputation on betting.

It is nominally at least a betting site after all.

I rest my case, m'Lud.
    Are you missing Tim? I thought you and he were the same bloke until last night!
    Please don't stop him now. Watching the precise same thing play out again is always entertaining.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Must say, some splendid footy punditry from SeanT earlier, as the "EPL" richest team plods around chasing Barca like the Dog and Duck XI after 3 pints of Greene King watching some Morris Dancing.

That will be the same Barcelona that were two up against Chelsea in the Nou Camp, with Chelsea down to ten men and no centre backs, and still couldn't win.

In fifty years of going to football I have never seen a team get so many dodgy decisions go their way.

And City had good chances to score even when they were down to ten men.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Interesting the left-wing NPD are able to win in Niagara Falls. It's usually a Conservative or Liberal area.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Edin_Rokz

'One word of advice to the Nats, get KP* back! He's the only one who can keep Salmond under control before he becomes a national joke.'

Unfortunately too late, after the past week he's already become a laughing stock.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

I know that the successful Oxbridge entrants from public schools are less than the proportion of public school applicants. I used this fact to my advantage.

Yeah, but that doesn't really contradict the view that there's a disproportionate amount of public school entrants to Oxbridge. AB mentioned 2% of population who've attended public school (no idea if that's accurate); I'm still guessing that's a lot lower than successful p.s. Oxbridge entrants.
    Of course many more applicants and entrants come from public schools than do from state schools, both in absolute and proportional terms. But, an applicant from a state school has a better chance of admission than a public school applicant if they're equal in all other ways. Which is why I left Marlborough College and went to the local state school after my GCSEs, and why I told the interviewing Dons that when they asked why I'd left Marlborough.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 14s
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour remain seven points ahead: CON 33%, LAB 40%, LD 8%, UKIP 12%
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Labour's lead does seem to have ticked upwards again the last couple of weeks.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 14s
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour remain seven points ahead: CON 33%, LAB 40%, LD 8%, UKIP 12%

Isn't that last night's poll?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Hence the shrill shrieking from the right wingers on anything apart from westminster politics.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900
    Crossover December 2015
  • Options
    Sorry @Danny my mistake -it just happens to have the same numbers for the big two parties.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    I voted for 40 to 50 percent. Which Muppet voted for 90+?
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Which muppets voted for 0 to 10 percent?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,271
    edited February 2014

usual naive nonsense divvie. They are underrepresented because they pack their bags and head to westminster, cut off that option and they stay in Scotland so you get Darling or Gove as well as Fergus Ewing. Elites look after themselves and if the Westminster road is cut off then they stay at home and organise things to suit themselves.

I see you've entirely body swerved my point about a disproportionate amount of public school entrants to Oxbridge.

I'm sorry to break it to you, but snobs (which my father tended towards) don't consider the likes of Robert Gordon's (Gove's alma mater) as a 'public school'.

In any case, Wiki says independent schools account for around 7% of pupils in England and 3% in Scotland. That's a basic difference from the get go.

• Options
    Come on McPiglet, give us your Indy Ref and GE predictions so we can judge whether you know more about Scotland or rUK in 15 months time. Or reveal yourself as a prize McChicken.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    edited February 2014
    SeanT said:

Hugh said:

SeanT said:

Hugh said:

Ah, so you ARE tim. My hope was to smoke you out. You couldn't resist, could you?

Arf.
    No I'm not.

I need to make that very clear, again, because I know (from reading posts here) that Tim has a) outstanding bets and b) an impeccable reputation on betting.

It is nominally at least a betting site after all.

I rest my case, m'Lud.
    Outstanding's not the word I'd use.. UKIP were 1/5 to get less than 10% w Ladbrokes when we had the bet and theyre 8/15 now!!
  • Options
    Any PBers been to Ukraine? Not sounding good there atm:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26249330
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591

Freggles said:

LOL. I voted for 40-50%. Stuart - how do you think last weeks events will play out for Salmond short term? and long term?
  • Options
    In case McChicken is going to demand my predictions first: Yes 46 No 54; Con 38 Lab 34. I'm worried I may be closer with the Indy Ref than with the GE...
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    isam said:

Whatever happened to that annoying Bobajob dude?

Bobajob left after Tim was banned but before SeanT was banned. The purging of the lefties.
    He might have a new nickname on here by now though
  • Options
    And in case McPiglet is denying his identity, he's the one who uses those most amusing names Cammie and Osbrowne. Come on McChicken.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    antifrank said:

I agree with JackW.

Quite the most brilliant post on PB for some years ....

• Options

Freggles said:

Not me, I recognise that there are a lot of believers in Emperor Eck's chance of immortality, even though they might have many different views of how to celebrate and then mould Scotland to their own belief on how the country will be run.

• Options
    Spaldings ‏@Spaldings 1h

Oxfordshire farmer forewarns the Prime Minister that the effect of floods will devastate his business into 2015 #Agri http://ow.ly/tJsBN

phil dilks ‏@fairdealphil 2h

Media swallow 'Downing St Flood Summit' spin which Cameron didnt attend and which wasn't even in Downing St! #con http://tinyurl.com/nakpbjx
    Out of touch fop.

:)
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

usual naive nonsense divvie. They are underrepresented because they pack their bags and head to westminster, cut off that option and they stay in Scotland so you get Darling or Gove as well as Fergus Ewing. Elites look after themselves and if the Westminster road is cut off then they stay at home and organise things to suit themselves.

I see you've entirely body swerved my point about a disproportionate amount of public school entrants to Oxbridge.

I'm sorry to break it to you, but snobs (which my father tended towards) don't consider the likes of Robert Gordon's (Gove's alma mater) as a 'public school'.

In any case, Wiki says independent schools account for around 7% of pupils in England and 3% in Scotland. That's a basic difference from the get go.

Not at all divvie Oxbridge gets a higher proportion of public school candidates because PS are more likely to push their kids that way and state schools don't. What are you going to do set quotas ? Public schools in england while to you are evidence of a class to me are more evidence of a failing education system as the figures this morning illustrated.

And as for the difference between england and scotland that doesn't really mean much, the majority of public school kids in england - we had this re Eton of all places - end up doing fairly non-descript middle class jobs such as lawyers and doctors, they don't become politicians. The nat mythology which insists everyone's a public school elitist toff is simply guff.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

isam said:

Bobajob left after Tim was banned but before SeanT was banned. The purging of the lefties.
    Tim wasn't banned.
  • Options

Freggles said:

isam said:

Tim wasn't banned.
    Correct.

• Options
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

Any PBers been to Ukraine? Not sounding good there atm:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26249330

How is Bangkok?! My advice is just stay away from the protest zones at night and you will be fine. You are much more at danger from being run over in the city's insane traffic.

If your hotel is smack bang in the middle of a protest zone (quite difficult, as there are only 3 or 4 such zones, in a city of 10m) then I suggest you move hotel.

Otherwise, enjoy! You are almost certainly getting a cheaper deal now, on all fronts, as Bangkok is desperate for more tourist business. And the sun shines all day at this time of year.

*envious, wistful sigh*
    I'm staying at the Novotel Ploenchit opposite the BTS station, but I can still see tents on the road below belonging to protestors. Might try out the SkyBar at Lebua tonight.

"The threat of civil war is now very real in Thailand":

http://www.leftfootforward.org/2014/02/the-threat-of-violence-is-now-very-real-in-thailand/
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Please DON'T accuse other posters of being incarnations of previous posters!

An outrageous attack on the rights of PB Buddhists

Mike Smithson was 17th century powdered wigmaker named Ivor Pollworthy

• Options
    Come on you great big McWimp, post your predictions.
  • Options
    GOP Circus #2 update
    Rasmussen Reports ‏@Rasmussen_Poll 6h

38% of Republicans Believe #TeaParty Good for #GOP in 2014, 32% Disagree... http://tinyurl.com/knunhl6
  • Options
    JackW said:

Please DON'T accuse other posters of being incarnations of previous posters!

An outrageous attack on the rights of PB Buddhists

Mike Smithson was 17th century powdered wigmaker named Ivor Pollworthy

Oh no! Please no! Oh God NOOOOO!: Chortle

• Options
    Are any SNPers prepared to post their predictions for both Indy Ref and GE percentages?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,917
    edited February 2014

Not at all divvie Oxbridge gets a higher proportion of public school candidates because PS are more likely to push their kids that way and state schools don't. What are you going to do set quotas ? Public schools in england while to you are evidence of a class to me are more evidence of a failing education system as the figures this morning illustrated.

And as for the difference between england and scotland that doesn't really mean much, the majority of public school kids in england - we had this re Eton of all places - end up doing fairly non-descript middle class jobs such as lawyers and doctors, they don't become politicians. The nat mythology which insists everyone's a public school elitist toff is simply guff.
    I'd say you are both right in part. Public schooling and Oxbridge were definitely launchpads in their way (as Trade Union and Ruskin College or ?Newbattle Abbey, for instance, once (and still?) were in the Labour movement). But the effect of public schooling seemed to be to wring out all the potential of each schoolchild and push them through the exam system - once that support is lost some of them fell by the wayside at university. My ex-public school chums seemed to have a much more mixed record of formal academic uni success than the ex-state school chaps - a sort of opposite phenomenon from the reversion to the mean.

So for all the uniformity of their suits and blazers at 18, a lot of public school types would have ended up as accountants and medics and the like - but some became highflyers or idiosyncratic academics or just plain dropouts.

No idea if that phenomenon still occurs but it was a very real one in the 1970s and 1980s.

The SNP front bench is notably mixed educationally - rather different from the three main UK parliament parties. I have not seen any analyses of the Holyrood Tories, LDs and Labour.

• Options
    edited February 2014

You think if you shriek loud enough I'll suddenly give a shit what a you say TimmyTommy?
    Think again chum. Calm down and wipe the spittle from your monitor before you hurt yourself you amusing twerp.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Mick_Pork said:

Danny565 said:

Hence the shrill shrieking from the right wingers on anything apart from westminster politics.
    I hadn't noticed!

They'll get their mojo back if there's a decent poll or event for the Tories, until then we're probably stuck with Braveheart and squirrels :-(
    How much time/effort in the political calendar is this referendum going to eat up? The media fever seems to have inched up a notch as the London press realise that it really is quite a fascinating rolling story. The danger for the government is it takes up a good chunk of the political airtime, which it may if it is at all close.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

You think if you shriek loud enough I'll suddenly give a shit what a you say TimmyTommy?
    Think again chum. Calm down and wipe the spittle from the monitor before you hurt yourself you amusing twerp.
    So McBwak McBwak...
  • Options

Hugh said:

Mick_Pork said:

Danny565 said:

I hadn't noticed!

They'll get their mojo back if there's a decent poll or event for the Tories, until then we're probably stuck with Braveheart and squirrels :-(
    How much time/effort in the political calendar is this referendum going to eat up? The media fever seems to have inched up a notch as the London press realise that it really is quite a fascinating rolling story. The danger for the government is it takes up a good chunk of the political airtime, which it may if it is at all close.
    Which one? (referendum I mean).

Never mind, if the moderators allow one to predict future incarnations (as opposed to reincarnations) we'll all be accumulating enough positive karma to end up with a nice quiet life next time round. Say, as a tapeworm in a blue whale ...

• Options

Hugh said:

Mick_Pork said:

Danny565 said:

I hadn't noticed!

And why would it be a danger? They seem to be loving it ...
  • Options

Mick_Pork said:

Think again chum. Calm down and wipe the spittle from the monitor before you hurt yourself you amusing twerp.
    So McBwak McBwak...
    Bwak??

LOL

Poor old TimmyTommy. You seem so furious and enraged you could be accused of losing the ability to post coherently except you obviously never possessed it in the first place.

Go back to your petulant shrieking, it's clearly all you're good for.

• Options
    Really? NO SNP predictions on Indy Ref and GE percentages? Do you really have no courage in your McConvictions?
  • Options
    Yet more trouble brewing for calamity Clegg.
    Times News ‏@TimesNewsdesk 13m

Clegg’s middle-ground tactic sparks Lib Dem infighting http://thetim.es/1h2ZwA3
    This on top of the lib dem Wythenshawe disaster and it's beginning to look like Clegg's ostrich faction are going to be dealing with a whisper campaign against Clegg after May.
  • Options
    Typical Salmondesque non-response. No prediction, just abuse. Too McChicken, obviously.
  • Options
    Are you too McChicken to have a bet on my 44% line? I'll bet £100 on that at evens.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    @Carnyx

Public schools prepare their pupils for Oxbridge more intensely than state schools as they see success at getting pupils in to Oxbridge as something that makes the place attractive to parents. Most public school folks end up doing "respectable" middle class jobs.

The UK front bench phenomenon is probably more function of Oxford PPE where something like 16% of MPs have the dreaded letters. The issue of elites is increasingly less that of their schools and more the professionalisation of politicians in a small clique. Nicola Sturgeon appears to be leading the way for the Nats.

I would also contend that comparisons between UK and Scottish parliaments are fairly pointless since the issue is really what would a Indy Parlt look like ? Since there are 129 Holyrood seats and Scotland sends 59 of it's best and brightest to Westminster, I'd say that post indy the 59 would displace more of the 129 and give it a few years there won't be that much difference between the two parliaments.
  • Options
    Yet more out of touch fop news.
    Jonathan Haynes ‏@JonathanHaynes 15h

John Bercow calls for end to "yobbery and public school twittishness" at PMQs http://bit.ly/O2w6dg

TheIndyPolitics ‏@IndyPolitics 3h

Ed Miliband and Nick Clegg back John Bercow's plans to reform PMQs - but Conservative backbenchers resist http://ind.pn/1h2npI0
    ;)
  • Options
    McBaw, McFop, McChortle & McYawn.. Come on, give us a prediction
    Mick_Pork said:

John Bercow calls for end to "yobbery and public school twittishness" at PMQs http://bit.ly/O2w6dg

Ed Miliband and Nick Clegg back John Bercow's plans to reform PMQs - but Conservative backbenchers resist http://ind.pn/1h2npI0
    ;)

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Are any SNPers prepared to post their predictions for both Indy Ref and GE percentages?

To be fair, I think Stuart predicted between 40-60% downthread. For disclosure I put 30-40%, but probably on the high end of that range.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Hugh said:

Mick_Pork said:

Danny565 said:

I hadn't noticed!

And why would it be a danger? They seem to be loving it ...
    Well let's see, 8 months direction onto Scottish politics (yes I do know, but the media will need another month to wrap up the result ) and what would give the coalition greater pleasure away from the consideration of their own governance and then only 7 months before the GE.

Who knows, there might even be a hot summer and water rationing ;^) in the meantime. Then again, Cameron might actually win a war.
  • Options
    RobD said:

To be fair, I think Stuart predicted between 40-60% downthread. For disclosure I put 30-40%, but probably on the high end of that range.
    Between 40 and 60%? That fence is firmly McWedged....
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Mick_Pork said:

;)

Ofcourse Cammo will resist...Once the wall of noise goes,he`ll be exposed badly for his inability to do detail.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Mick_Pork said:

This on top of the lib dem Wythenshawe disaster and it's beginning to look like Clegg's ostrich faction are going to be dealing with a whisper campaign against Clegg after May.
    I wonder what Lib Dem infighting is even like?

Clegg is safe, he needs to absorb as much toxicity personally as he can for the sake of the party, then be flushed down the sewer.

Well it's blatantly obvious that any possible lib dem challenger and leader replacement doesn't want to take over and become the coalition shit magnet this far out from the GE.
    The question is whether any of them have the bottle to initiate leadership proceedings as the 2015 election campaign looms. Whisper campaign? They might do that and hope Clegg does the decent thing and stands down. It's also pertinent that any challenger who waited till after 2015 would be dealing with a devastated lib dem party with far less MPs and no clear way of knowing who will remain and which way they will jump. (against the Clegg direction of travel obviously but that there will be very few realistic replacements who won't be doing that)
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Hugh said:

Mick_Pork said:

Clegg is safe, he needs to absorb as much toxicity personally as he can for the sake of the party, then be flushed down the sewer.
    Well it's blatantly obvious that any possible lib dem challenger and leader replacement doesn't want to take over and become the coalition shit magnet this far out from the GE.
    The question is whether any of them have the bottle to initiate leadership proceedings as the 2015 election campaign looms. Whisper campaign? They might do that and hope Clegg does the decent thing and stands down. It's also pertinent that any challenger who waited till after 2015 would be dealing with a devastated lib dem party with far less MPs and no clear way of knowing who will remain and which way they will jump. (against the Clegg direction of travel obviously but that there will be very few realistic replacements who won't be doing that)

McBlatantly McObvious but too McChicken to put it in a percentage prediction?
  • Options

@Carnyx

Public schools prepare their pupils for Oxbridge more intensely than state schools as they see success at getting pupils in to Oxbridge as something that makes the place attractive to parents. Most public school folks end up doing "respectable" middle class jobs.

The UK front bench phenomenon is probably more function of Oxford PPE where something like 16% of MPs have the dreaded letters. The issue of elites is increasingly less that of their schools and more the professionalisation of politicians in a small clique. Nicola Sturgeon appears to be leading the way for the Nats.

I would also contend that comparisons between UK and Scottish parliaments are fairly pointless since the issue is really what would a Indy Parlt look like ? Since there are 129 Holyrood seats and Scotland sends 59 of it's best and brightest to Westminster, I'd say that post indy the 59 would displace more of the 129 and give it a few years there won't be that much difference between the two parliaments.

Thanks: all good food for thought, and quite right on the first point.

I did wonder about the final point, but decided not to explore it. As you say, it would affect Labour, and to some extent the LDs, far more than (for their very different reasons) the SNP and Tories. So yes we get the 2nd XV there. But there is another factor however which is that experienced Labour MSPs stood on the constituency lists and some got the chop in 2011, but were to a considerable degree (as the system was devised to do) replaced under the weird Holyrood system with the third XV who were on the regional lists. So the current lot is a sort of mix of 2nd XV partly struck down by dreaded lurgy and replacements from the 3rd XV.
  • Options
    Ave it GE 2015 projection!

Con 39% (332)
    Lab 30% (258)
    LD 15% (33)
    UKIP 6% (0)
    Smaller parties 10% (NI 18 PC 3 SNP 6)
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    All the time I was watching "The Monuments Men", I thought the British chap was Colin Firth. Only when the credits came up at the end did I realise it was Hugh Bonneville. I must be getting senile, or perhaps I'm not cultured enough.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Con 39% (332)
    Lab 30% (258)
    LD 15% (33)
    UKIP 6% (0)

Predictions from all over the place except the McChickens...
  • Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRWcPoxmZos

Shriek louder petal.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Predictions from all over the place except the McChickens...

Perhaps he hasn't the McAcorns.....

thank you, I'll be here all week! ;')

• Options
    Ave_it said:

Con 39% (332)
    Lab 30% (258)
    LD 15% (33)
    UKIP 6% (0)

What's your Indy ref prediction?
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRWcPoxmZos

Shriek louder petal.

McBawk McBawk!!!
  • Options
    Come on McChicken, £100 on the 44% line for yes. Or are you really a big wimp?
  • Options
    Ave it individual GE2015 seat projection!

Lab gain Redcar!
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Come on McChicken, £100 on the 44% line for yes. Or are you really a big wimp?

Did you get lost on your way to Guido's site?
    Do you want to predict the Lab percentage for the next election, and maybe have a bet on it? Or are you a big chicken too?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Ave_it said:

Lab gain Redcar!

Just got back,bradford gain vale ;-)
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

Even in your wildest dreams the Conservatives couldn't manage -10% Nick :)

They're working on it. Give them another year!
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Con 39% (332)
    Lab 30% (258)
    LD 15% (33)
    UKIP 6% (0)

And FTSE infinity too Mr Forestieri?!!!!
  • Options

Ave_it said:

Lab gain Redcar!

Come in the Bradford first win in 16!

Bit like Watford form team now!!!

Con gain Bradford West (maybe)!!!!
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

Lab gain Redcar!

Con hold Watford?!
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

@Carnyx

UK politics particularly Labour is becoming hereditary, Benn, Prescott, Blair, Kinnock, Vas, to name just a few off the top of my head, then you have the married couples, Balls, Dromey, to make sure the gravy train is kept nice and tightly controlled.

• Options
    I'm amused that SNPers are so lacking in confidence that none of them will make a £100 bet that they'll get more than 44% at evens.

Or even give me a predicted percentage....
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

Lab gain Redcar!

Con hold Watford?!
    Nailed on! Bit like FTSE 9000 soon super Osbourne revival!!!
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Mick_Pork said:

Hugh said:

Mick_Pork said:

No, they'll fight a Labour 2010 style rearguard action.

Cling on for dear life best they can, then rebuild once the shit magnet has gone, hoping there's still something left of the party to actually build on.

Shit magnet Clegg is safe.

That does still depend on lib dem MPs in far from safe seats not panicking or indeed just initiating revenge proceedings for why they are about to lose their seat.

I really don't think it's quite sunk in yet just how damaging calamity Clegg is going to be in any election campaign. He will be eviscerated by the media and the public if he makes any pledges or "no more broken promises" this time around. 'Red lines' will be sought on every single policy for him to deal with.

A party leader unable to make any credible pledges or promises in an election campaign is dead weight. Those lib dem MPs in very marginal seats might just decide that a temporary boost and honeymoon period from a new leader could just be worth it if it enables them to hang onto their job. It does seem clear that Clegg's ostrich faction want to hang on though. So it's just a question of whether desperate self-preservation or a weary resignation to a an electoral disaster is the more prevalent attitude among lib dem MPs and the activist base. (what's left of them by then)
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Hugh said:

Mick_Pork said:

Hugh said:

Mick_Pork said:

No, they'll fight a Labour 2010 style rearguard action.

Cling on for dear life best they can, then rebuild once the shit magnet has gone, hoping there's still something left of the party to actually build on.

Shit magnet Clegg is safe.
    That does still depend on lib dem MPs in far from safe seats not panicking or indeed just initiating revenge proceedings for why they are about to lose their seat.

I really don't think it's quite sunk in yet just how damaging calamity Clegg is going to be in any election campaign. He will be eviscerated by the media and the public if he makes any pledges or "no more broken promises" this time around. 'Red lines' will be sought on every single policy for him to deal with.

A party leader unable to make any credible pledges or promises in an election campaign is dead weight. Those lib dem MPs in very marginal seats might just decide that a temporary boost and honeymoon period from a new leader could just be worth it if it enables them to hang onto their job. It does seem clear that Clegg's ostrich faction want to hang on though. So it's just a question of whether desperate self-preservation or a weary resignation to a an electoral disaster is the more prevalent attitude among lib dem MPs and the activist base. (what's left of them by then)

McScaredyCatChicken...
  • Options

I'm amused that SNPers are so lacking in confidence that none of them will make a £100 bet that they'll get more than 44% at evens.

I think you can put that in the category of not wanting to go for a pint with some wild-eyed jakey that importunes you on the street.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

Lab gain Redcar!

Nice to see you back ave it ;-)
  • Options

I think you can put that in the category of not wanting to go for a pint with some wild-eyed jakey that importunes you on the street.
    Too scared to even give a prediction?

McBawk McBawk!
  • Options
    TY Ave it not = tim!
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    edited February 2014
    JonnyJimmy and MickPork

Jonny, Mick is under no obligation to give a prediction, so please drop this particular line and move on.

Mick, for the avoidance of doubt, you are only allowed to use the term Tories, PB Tories, and Right wingers.

Please don't add any other description, such as extreme right wing Tories, you were told not to use the term far right last night.

To avoid breaking the spirit of Mike's ruling, please desist.

Can both of you confirm you understand these instructions.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2014
    The Nats seem remarkably coy about their predictions, but smart punters will have taken note firstly of Jack W, and then of antifrank's pithy post.

For those who weren't around at the time, antifrank's contribution to Hibernian psephology first came to notice when he correctly predicted (and he may well have been the only person who predicted) that there would be not a haggis, not a sausage, not even a designer chipolata's worth, of change in the Scottish seat totals in GE 2010 compared with 2005:

We can expect this election to be a no change election in Scotland at least.

http://politicalbetting.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/scottish-play.html

This was at a time when some of our distinguished Scottish friends were adamant that the SNP was going to make big gains.

So 30% to 40% is where the smart money is going.
  • Options
    This doesn't matter right now, but its going to at some point:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-02-18/spanish-bad-loans-hit-record-surge-most-year

And what future for Ukraine? Civil war and a northwest v southeast tearing apart? My sympathy goes out to those Ukraine freedom fighters who lost their lives today:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-02-18/how-ukrainian-protesters-attack-armored-personnel-carrier
  • Options

Too scared to even give a prediction?

McBawk McBawk!
    'Naw pal, am aff the drink, here's a fiver, you go an' have one yersel'.'

• Options
    edited February 2014

Can both of you confirm you understand these instructions.

For the avoidance of doubt I will happily abide by yet more restrictions on language by you.
    A timely intervention indeed and thankfully the only one that needed to be made.

• Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Election-data ‏@election_data 19m

Two take-aways from YouGov/Sun poll. 1. Labour pulling away amongst ABC1s and 2. UKIP strength among 60+ C2DEs @YouGov
  • Options
    Wonder what "revelations" are behind tomorrow's Mail front page:

http://www.politicshome.com/uk/article/93208/the_daily_mail_tuesday_18th_february_2014.html
  • Options
    DickMandrake ‏@DickMandrake 30s

Interesting Dan Hodges piece on what Twitch Plays Pokemon means for Ed Miliband.
    LOL
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Interesting Dan Hodges piece on what Twitch Plays Pokemon means for Ed Miliband.
    LOL

Watching abit of the Scottish parliament today,loved how Sturgeon kept reminding the Scottish public of Scottish labours new found friends - the tories = lol

Scottish labour must be cringing ;-) it looked it every time she mentioned it ;-)

• Options
    I see wage growth is up and inflation is down:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10645625/Inflation-falls-below-2pc-target-for-first-time-in-four-years.html

I'm getting worried for Osborne. People have short memories, and he's starting to make this economic management thing look just too easy. Widespread public complacency could let Balls in by the back door. I never thought things could be too perfect, but Osborne looks as if he's getting there.
  • Options

I see wage growth is up and inflation is down:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10645625/Inflation-falls-below-2pc-target-for-first-time-in-four-years.html

I'm getting worried for Osborne. People have short memories, and he's starting to make this economic management thing look just too easy. Widespread public complacency could let Balls in by the back door. I never thought things could be too perfect, but Osborne looks as if he's getting there.

Pride cometh before a fall.
  • Options
    AVE IT FTSE FORECAAST!

31.12.2014 8000
    31.12.2015 10000
    31.12.2000 20000
    31.12.2025 100000
  • Options

Mick_Pork said:

LOL
    Watching abit of the Scottish parliament today,loved how Sturgeon kept reminding the Scottish public of Scottish labours new found friends - the tories = lol

Scottish labour must be cringing ;-) it looked it every time she mentioned it ;-)

Not new but given rocket fuel by having Osbrowne as the face of the No campaign. Some of the more amusing PB tories on here still haven't worked out that bouncing labour into this is not going to soon be forgotten by some in labour. They had their own timetable and strategy and having Osbrowne front and centre with them tagging along behind was definitely not it.

If the polls start to go bad for No in the final deciding weeks of the campaign then expect a colossal bucket of sh*t to be poured all over Cammie and Osbrowne's 'master strategies' as the blame game takes on a huge dimension. It will then be used in the GE campaign which will be all but underway by that time anyway.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

AVE IT FTSE FORECAAST!

31.12.2014 8000
    31.12.2015 10000
    31.12.2000 20000
    31.12.2025 100000

FTSE at 20k at the end of 2000 Ave It? I like your backward forecasting!
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Ave_it said:

AVE IT FTSE FORECAAST!

31.12.2014 8000
    31.12.2015 10000
    31.12.2000 20000
    31.12.2025 100000

FTSE at 20k at the end of 2000 Ave It? I like your backward forecasting!
    Ave it is the future and past of forecasting!
    GN all - CON overall majority soon!
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Ukraine

I have to say it looks like a very heavy Belfast night of the past, just with larger number in one place.

The tactical situation on the ground at the epicentre of trouble is not good for the protestors as it stands. Its a space that can ultimately be choked by the authorities and the street -based opposition movement will need to maintain channels. It is, bluntly, a man's fight. You look at the protestors now, its overwhelmingly men, often younger. The opposition movement has left its street fighters out which doesn't bode well for peace in the very short term.

At this point at street-level, the advantages lie with the authorities. To that end the opposition needs:

1. a loss of nerve on the political front by the President. He himself is slightly shaky and has been for a bit. Plenty of others around him are most definitely not at this point.

2. Assuming this requires being on the street to get their way, what the opposition needs is to launch out elsewhere, both in Kiev and around the country. So far this has not happened to the degree it needs to.

As a result the authorities could crack down in the one major location and finish this stage of protest. The bloodshed may be mighty but within that space the authorities have the ability to cycle resources and do a mix of holding the line and upsurges to exhaust the protestors, over days if necessary, before moving in.

The authorities do have more tools here and haven't used them . It is, believe it or not, an element of restraint or alternatively the subject to a stiffling internal debate that is stiffling the full on crackdown.

No sign of the army yet. If the current government had full control and/or direction it wouldn't need a law to bring them in, it would need an order. It hasn't come even though a significant number of military personnel have been moved closer to the action.

It is delicately poised. From the armchair, and sadly for the protestors, it looks as if they have some policy and civil affairs wonks in suits from the EU to advise them. The Ukrainian government has Putin and a fairly (it isn't 100%) solid security apparatus. Doesnt sound even does it? In reality there is somewhat more robust and dirty tactics type contacts coming from at least two EU countries. The Russians say the Europeans are stoking. On this they are correct.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    MickPork But it will be Darling leading the No case in the debate with Salmond

JohnLooney Did you not see Hugh Bonneville on Graham Norton on Friday
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited February 2014
    @Tykejohnno

'Watching abit of the Scottish parliament today,loved how Sturgeon kept reminding the Scottish public of Scottish labours new found friends - the tories = lol'

What else can she say when two of the SNP's key separation policies have been demolished in a week?
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
This discussion has been closed.