Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Anything you can do, we can do worse. – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,704
edited November 2023 in General
Anything you can do, we can do worse. – politicalbetting.com

‘Can you guarantee to the bereaved families that you will disclose emails, WhatsApps, private emails if you’ve been using them. Whatever. That nothing will be off limits in this inquiry?’My question to @NicolaSturgeon August 2021 pic.twitter.com/OJDCBTESCe

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    I wonder what Police Scotland make of Nicola Sturgeon deleting her WhatsApp messages?

She really has trashed her reputation 
  • Options
    Oooh was that a first?
  • Options

Is it just me, all the liberal use of Whatsapp through government seems errh a tad problematic from a security point of view.

It's an easy and secure thing to use.

I am so glad I didn't go into politics. I would be so buggered if my WhatsApps were made public.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,238

Is it just me, all the liberal use of Whatsapp through government seems errh a tad problematic from a security point of view.

If these sorts of informal discussions happened in phone calls or in person as in the past, they would be largely forgotten, or at best lightly minuted.
  • Options
    So Saudi Arabia have won the men's soccer world cup tournament in 2034.

Deepest of deep joys.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,912

I am so glad I didn't go into politics. I would be so buggered if my WhatsApps were made public.
    Your messages might be secure but what other information does the app slurp up when you aren't looking?

Maybe you don't care but I'd 100% use a burner phone if I was forced to install it.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

If these sorts of informal discussions happened in phone calls or in person as in the past, they would be largely forgotten, or at best lightly minuted.
    A previous TMI moment in politics. LBJ phones up to order some new trousers which don't "cut up on my bunghole":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR_myjOr0OU
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,260
    Liz Truss, bold and wise,
    Leads with purpose in her eyes,
    Politics' new rise.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,840
    Good piece, Cyclefree
  • Options

Deepest of deep joys.

Somehow I can't see Budweiser sponsoring it this time.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited October 2023
    Maybe it highlights Boris flawed personality, but you would have thought having a really bad experience with COVID would send you the other way....oh shit, that was f##king awful, we can't let old people get this.

I can actually understand the outlook on the parties (not excusing them), they were what staffers did every Friday from the beginning of time, they all had had COVID and worked side by side, so in terms of risk, there wasn't really any. Now obviously you can't make the rules, and then ignore them. But I can see the Boris, well chaps and chapesses if the odd bottle top was to become loose when I wasn't here, well nobody will know will they. That definitely very much Boris.

But the well I was hospitalised with this thing, well I don't understand we just need the oldies to crack on and get this, as they were only to die anyway....that's a totally different sort of mental gymnastics.
  • Options
    Surely the simple solution is for the SNP to say "yebbut that was Sturgeon, so it doesn't matter". And simply not bother with an enquiry.
  • Options

Your messages might be secure but what other information does the app slurp up when you aren't looking?

Maybe you don't care but I'd 100% use a burner phone if I was forced to install it.
    These are the permissions it has on my phone.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,818
    What is the Yousaf's statement "at odds with government policy" ?
    Link ?

A quick search turned up this (FWIW), which might well be confused, but seems not greatly contradictory.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-67261338
    ..Humza Yousaf has denied deleting Whatsapp messages relating to the Covid-19 pandemic.
    The Scottish government has been accused of failing to hand over data to the UK Covid Inquiry.
    Senior government figures during the pandemic, including former first minister Nicola Sturgeon, have been accused of wiping messages or using an auto-delete function.
    Mr Yousaf said it was "certainly not true" that he had removed messages.
    He said his government would "fully" comply with both the UK and Scottish Covid inquiries.
    "I have kept and retained all of the WhatsApp messages and I am more than happy to hand them over to the Covid inquiry," the first minister told BBC Scotland News.
    "Government business isn't routinely done over WhatsApp and of course where any decisions were made they were appropriately recorded within our message management system.
    "If the Covid inquiry wants more information, needs more information, then I expect every minister, past and present, every government official or clinical adviser to comply."..
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593

WhatsApp is as secure as Suckerberg is a trustworthy, decent human being. See the problem there?

Start by moving to Signal

For government, there are a number of messaging systems that can be self hosted - so the government would actually control it.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Deepest of deep joys.

We are going to get all the nonsense again of the virtual signalling of "I absolutely stand against the terrible social policies of KSA"...."so you won't go and take their millions for working at the tournament"....."sorry I am very busy, I must go now".....

I bet there were loads of loud mouths who spouted off about LIV golf, but will all of a sudden have a modified opinion of well we must engage with these countries in order to enact change.
  • Options

Contacts and mobile data only for me.
  • Options

Surely the simple solution is for the SNP to say "yebbut that was Sturgeon, so it doesn't matter". And simply not bother with an enquiry.

The slight problem is that the a swathe of Scottish politics - elected and permanent officials were involved in this. Most are still there.
  • Options

It was a time when the PM was quite chummy with ex KGB chaps. We didn't have political security secrets to protect.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,369

Deepest of deep joys.

We are going to get all the nonsense again of the virtual signalling of "I absolutely stand against the terrible social policies of KSA"...."so you won't go and take their millions for working at the tournament"....."sorry I am very busy, I must go now".....

I bet there were loads of loud mouths who spouted off about LIV golf, but will all of a sudden have a modified opinion of well we must engage with these countries in order to enact change.
    And Beckham and Neville still cashing in ?
  • Options

Deepest of deep joys.

Well, the FA did consult their lawyers about the Thaskin bid, who came up with the opinion that "Fit and proper" to own a Football club included actual UN wanted war criminals.

I think after that, the idea that morality is involved in high end football went out..... the window.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

I suspect most people enable location as well.

What I don't like is that they read all your contacts so that they can 'match them with existing users for convenience'.

In other words - your phone number ends up with Meta just through knowing someone who uses WhatsApp.

And you can't request that they delete your shadow profile because you don't have a contract with them.

Never trust Zuckerberg is my motto.

Yes, I do I run a private XMPP server...
  • Options

WhatsApp is as secure as Suckerberg is a trustworthy, decent human being. See the problem there?

Start by moving to Signal

For government, there are a number of messaging systems that can be self hosted - so the government would actually control it.
    I've got Signal but most of my friends do not.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Deepest of deep joys.

Well, the FA did consult their lawyers about the Thaskin bid, who came up with the opinion that "Fit and proper" to own a Football club included actual UN wanted war criminals.

I think after that, the idea that morality is involved in high end football went out..... the window.
    The new Everton owners are some very interesting individuals.

Something that not no publicity was the al-jazeera documentary into buying football clubs. It was actually some proper long form, long term undercover investigative journalism.

The Men Who Sell Football
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldgTCXpDEgk
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967

I wonder what Police Scotland make of Nicola Sturgeon deleting her WhatsApp messages?

Will she get to share a prison with William Ian Beggs?
  • Options
    For those wondering how the government would define what a BullyXL is, here's the link:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/official-definition-of-an-xl-bully-dog/official-definition-of-an-xl-bully-dog
  • Options

Maybe it highlights Boris flawed personality, but you would have thought having a really bad experience with COVID would send you the other way....oh shit, that was f##king awful, we can't let old people get this.

What you must remember about old people is that they are not Boris Johnson and therefore, as with everyone else who is not Boris Johnson, Boris Johnson doesn't give a sh1t about them.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

For those wondering how the government would define what a BullyXL is, here's the link:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/official-definition-of-an-xl-bully-dog/official-definition-of-an-xl-bully-dog

"Large dog with a muscular body and blocky head, suggesting great strength and power for its size. Powerfully built individual."

Harry Maguire might have to worry he doesn't get neutered.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    It turns out Mike Johnson only wants Hunter Biden*, out of all the tax cheats, to actually pay tax.

US House Republicans plan to give Israel $14.3bn by cutting IRS funds
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/oct/30/us-house-republicans-israel-irs-funding-cut

One might also consider the stupidity of a party committed to 'balancing the budget' presenting a measure which will cost the government money as something to set against funding for Israel.
    But by now, stupidity is a given.

*He has already paid up.
  • Options

carnforth said:

"Large dog with a muscular body and blocky head, suggesting great strength and power for its size. Powerfully built individual."

Harry Maguire might have to worry he doesn't get neutered.
    I thought this might be BR appearing at the covid inquiry referring to the then PM?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

It turns out Mike Johnson only wants Hunter Biden*, out of all the tax cheats, to actually pay tax.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/oct/30/us-house-republicans-israel-irs-funding-cut

One might also consider the stupidity of a party committed to 'balancing the budget' presenting a measure which will cost the government money as something to set against funding for Israel.

*He has already paid up.

The is the party that is jumping the shark which is also jumping over another shark?

The above is the smartest thing they have done this year.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

What I don't like is that they read all your contacts so that they can 'match them with existing users for convenience'.

In other words - your phone number ends up with Meta just through knowing someone who uses WhatsApp.

And you can't request that they delete your shadow profile because you don't have a contract with them.

I've got one running in a Docker container on my Sinology - but getting people to actually try something that isn't WhatsApp or iMessage....
  • Options
    I don't recall taking part in this study...

Hearing bad grammar results in physical signs of stress, new study reveals
    https://medicalxpress.com/news/2023-10-bad-grammar-results-physical-stress.html
  • Options
    edited October 2023
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,525
    From the East, unwarned
    The clouds of autumn gather
    Europe: in darkness

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,314

I can actually understand the outlook on the parties (not excusing them), they were what staffers did every Friday from the beginning of time, they all had had COVID and worked side by side, so in terms of risk, there wasn't really any. Now obviously you can't make the rules, and then ignore them. But I can see the Boris, well chaps and chapesses if the odd bottle top was to become loose when I wasn't here, well nobody will know will they. That definitely very much Boris.

But the well I was hospitalised with this thing, well I don't understand we just need the oldies to crack on and get this, as they were only to die anyway....that's a totally different sort of mental gymnastics.

Could be a number of elements to this. Survival bias - 'I survived it, so its ok'. Could be pure psychopath - no ability to care about others. Could be a genuine desire for balance in the government approach to an awful situation - the economy vs the lives of old fatties.

I have long said that I think Partygate is overblown. I don't believe personally that Johnson did anything more than the pathetic quizes etc that were shown in the report. That staffers behave badly in his absence is more a civil service issue (and I accept that the culture should come from the top). Others will not agree with this.

But I do wonder at the Covid Bereaved for Justice People. Apparently todays stunt is a number at Barnard Castle and a Can you see this? sign for Cummings. I get that they lost people and that is awful. But there seems to be a bizarre delusion that every single covid death was preventable, if only government had not made mistakes. And yet there seems no ability to look beyond at the wider world and other nations response to covid.
  • Options

Are you using Windows on your laptop or pc? Windows that sends all your activity back to Microsoft? That is separate, of course, from Windows sending (sorry, backing up) your files to Microsoft in the cloud.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

*He has already paid up.

It has long been the case that American bipartisanship goes in only one direction.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Could be a number of elements to this. Survival bias - 'I survived it, so its ok'. Could be pure psychopath - no ability to care about others. Could be a genuine desire for balance in the government approach to an awful situation - the economy vs the lives of old fatties.

I have long said that I think Partygate is overblown. I don't believe personally that Johnson did anything more than the pathetic quizes etc that were shown in the report. That staffers behave badly in his absence is more a civil service issue (and I accept that the culture should come from the top). Others will not agree with this.

But I do wonder at the Covid Bereaved for Justice People. Apparently todays stunt is a number at Barnard Castle and a Can you see this? sign for Cummings. I get that they lost people and that is awful. But there seems to be a bizarre delusion that every single covid death was preventable, if only government had not made mistakes. And yet there seems no ability to look beyond at the wider world and other nations response to covid.
    I have said from the start that I think Boris gave everybody the nudge nudge wink wink to have drinks after work as if no rules were in place, but then the staffers absolutely took the piss and had full on all night benders.

The problem with this, and the other stuff like having a buffet in the garden, was a) you can't make the rules, then ignore them like that and b) the cover-up, that is what always gets you.

The Covid Bereaved for Justice People are basically a Moamentum front group, run by Corbynistas.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    Yes, if records are potentially needed for an inquiry that means they need to be kept even beyond their standard retention time
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,166
    Learned a new word - sequela - watching the Covid inquiry. Smartest man in the room Dominic Cummings hadn't heard of it either, so I felt a bit better about my ignorance.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

*He has already paid up.

It is also a party committed to cut taxes, though the proposal is unlikely to get passed the Democratic controlled Senate or President Biden into law
  • Options

I've got one running is a Docker container on my Sinology - but getting people to actually try something that isn't WhatsApp or iMessage....
    Yup, docker/ejabberd. Doesn't take much to set up.

Only for family so I am able to set up the client as well. 92 old father in law uses it a lot.

Fighting a losing battle elsewhere though when it comes to both Facebook and WhatsApp.

A shame such a sh*t company had to gain an effective monopoly on messaging. Even Google (yes, I know) would have been better.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,996
    "Britain Elects
    @BritainElects

47m
    Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 45% (+1)
    CON: 25% (-1)
    LDEM: 13% (-)
    REF: 7% (-1)
    GRN: 6% (+2)

via @RedfieldWilton, 29 Oct"

https://twitter.com/BritainElects
  • Options

Are you using Windows on your laptop or pc? Windows that sends all your activity back to Microsoft? That is separate, of course, from Windows sending (sorry, backing up) your files to Microsoft in the cloud.
    No, Linux. Although MS aren't as evil as Meta. And I backup to my own cloud in the garage.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,840
    Cummings keeps criticising the government structures as unsuitable. I'm minded to suggest that if you run into an unsuitable government structure in the morning, you ran into an unsuitable government structure. If you run into unsuitable government structures all pandemic, you're the unsuitable government structure.

It's also very clear that Johnson was never PM. Cummings thought he was PM.
  • Options
    Customising the new MacBooks to the highest specs sets you back £7,299.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

LOL....I knew when they were giving it the its only $1600 there was going to be a massive sting in the tail.

So when is yours arriving...
  • Options

You could buy two pairs of shoes for that!
  • Options

Cummings keeps criticising the government structures as unsuitable. I'm minded to suggest that if you run into an unsuitable government structure in the morning, you ran into an unsuitable government structure. If you run into unsuitable government structures all pandemic, you're the unsuitable government structure.

I can't remember who it was who said that Cummings was 100% right on the questions and 100% wrong on the answers.

The point about the Cabinet Room being less useful for decision making than in 1914 is exactly right.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Leon said:

From the East, unwarned

From the east, unwished
    A sad git* posts doom:
    PB unperturbed.

*Sorry about git, but only had one syllable.
  • Options

LOL....I knew when they were giving it the its only $1600 there was going to be a massive sting in the tail.
    I mean do I really need 128 GB of RAM?

• Options
    edited October 2023

I can't remember who it was who said that Cummings was 100% right on the questions and 100% wrong on the answers.

The point about the Cabinet Room being less useful for decision making than in 1914 is exactly right.
    The problem with Big Dom is always the same. He often correctly identifies a problem, then his solution is smash it all up, sack everybody and start again, but with him in charge and a couple of highly paid ML / AI people to do data analytics.....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

I doubt it. What are you using the Macbook for ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Browsing the internet, editing PB.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,521
    edited October 2023

As someone who used MacBooks for the best part of 20 years, I have always been impressed by their reliability but the price point for a halfway decent one now is far too high for what I use a computer for. I switched back to PCs this year and I don’t have any regrets yet.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

A good lesson in life is to not ask questions where you really don't want to know the answer.....
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

*He has already paid up.

It is also a party committed to cut taxes, though the proposal is unlikely to get passed the Democratic controlled Senate or President Biden into law
    It's a party which, last time it was in power, gave an unfunded tax cut, costing trillions, to the wealthiest.
    https://www.budget.senate.gov/chairman/newsroom/press/extending-trump-tax-cuts-would-add-35-trillion-to-the-deficit-according-to-cbo
    And they now, still, threaten to shut down government in order to 'balance the budget'.

Bunch of liars, grifters and wreckers.
  • Options

I didn't *need* the Max chip in mine. But it isn't half quick! My YouTube production capability is light years ahead of where it was before I bought the MacBook.
  • Options

As someone who used MacBooks for the best part of 20 years, I have always been impressed by their reliability but the price point for a halfway decent one now is far too high for what I use a personal computer for. I switched back to PCs this year and I don’t have any regrets yet.
    I have an M2 mac. I have to admit its very nice and the huge advantage over a pc laptop is the insane battery life. That is something I do really love that basically I never think about needing to charge it when I am out for the day.

But....I doesn't do half the stuff I need, so it is really a fancy window onto my desktop machine and servers.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

A good lesson in life is to not ask questions where you really don't want to know the answer.....
    Tsk, my MacBook is used for good purposes.

Just don't ask what I use my phone and iPad for though.

That said I still get nervous when my girlfriend asks to borrow my MacBook.
  • Options

Do you need it more than the shoes ?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

*He has already paid up.

It's a party which, last time it was in power, gave an unfunded tax cut, costing trillions, to the wealthiest.
    https://www.budget.senate.gov/chairman/newsroom/press/extending-trump-tax-cuts-would-add-35-trillion-to-the-deficit-according-to-cbo
    And they now, still, threaten to shut down government in order to 'balance the budget'.

Yes and the wealthiest tend to vote Republican. The Trump tax cuts also lowered the rate for 5/7 of US income tax brackets.

One of the core reasons for voting GOP is that voters want lower taxes, if they want higher taxes and higher spending they will vote Democrat
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

1. A good VPN
    2. Incognito tab
    3. Don't accept cookies
    4. Don't supply your email address of credit card number
  • Options

I'm not ordering one.

I'm very happy with my MacBook Air with the M2 chip that I got last year.
  • Options
    On Topic - Note that issue of text & etc. that "disappear" at inopportune (at least from one perspective) moments, is NOT exclusive to UK.

For example, missing texts & etc. by & from Seattle's (then) mayor, (ditto) police chief, etc. covering the period during civil unrest following murder of George Floyd.

Personally have not run into ANYONE in the Emerald City who believes this was due to innocent mistake and/or incompetence. Instead, we think that the texts & etc. were MADE to disappear.

You can guess who we think was responsible for THAT.

What a parcel of rogues for a city!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

I think it’s fair to say that a well-designed IT security protocol for a government department, would look nothing like it turns out to have looked in many departments during the pandemic.

The biggest practicical issues with any such policies, are of course the heads of department and the senior managers who expect to be treated differently to the rank and file. It’s the same in any organisation.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I am currently on a shoe moratorium.

I am now under an embargo of one out then one in.
  • Options

If you’re doing game engine rendering, or copious amounts of 4k video editing, then hell yeah.

Only a handful of years ago, that spec would be a £30-50k workstation. Now it’s in a laptop!
  • Options

As someone who used MacBooks for the best part of 20 years, I have always been impressed by their reliability but the price point for a halfway decent one now is far too high for what I use a computer for. I switched back to PCs this year and I don’t have any regrets yet.
    It depends what you actually need. Overspeccing is a big issue with many people. My sister in law work in retail - she browses the internet, video calls, watches movies. She has a high end MacPro with all the trimmings.

The simplest Mac Air (£999) would do that for her, easily.

I got an earlier model for my wife. Once, when we were on holiday, she went out shopping for the afternoon. I decided to do some code research on the terrace - borrowed her Air and later realised that I was running an Oracle DB in a VM, while running the app I was playing with. And watching a video in background....
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

If you’re doing game engine rendering, or copious amounts of 4k video editing, then hell yeah.

Only a handful of years ago, that spec would be a £30-50k workstation. Now it’s in a laptop!
    I do a lot of 4K recording at 60 FPS on my phone.

I can edit it very well on a MacBook Air with 24 GB of RAM.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Browsing the internet, editing PB.
    Slacker - you can spend £20K on the Mac Pro
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

*He has already paid up.

Yes and the wealthiest tend to vote Republican. The Trump tax cuts also lowered the rate for 5/7 of US income tax brackets.

One of the core reasons for voting GOP is that voters want lower taxes, if they want higher taxes and higher spending they will vote Democrat
    Cutting the IRS funding isn't a tax cut; it's deliberately encouraging tax fraud, while pretending to save money.

This from a House Speaker who has been intimately involved in the investigation of a private individual... for tax fraud. And proposes, as Speaker, to continue wasting the time of the House of Representatives continuing that investigation.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454
    Leicester! Puts Tammany Hall to shame.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/oct/30/keith-vaz-and-claudia-webbe-could-stand-as-independents-in-leicester-east

"(Sir Peter) Soulsby, who is serving his fourth term as Labour mayor and is a former MP for Leicester South, said his former political rival Vaz and the current MP Webbe were known to be plotting to stand again as independent MPs.

“We could well have two disgraced former Labour party candidates standing in the seat. People are saying that this is a real possibility and it might split the vote and let the Tories in. We as a party need to have a good and credible candidate in place as soon as possible,” he said.

“Keith has been a cancer in the political body of Leicester for decades and like many others in the Labour party in the city I am relieved that the party has realised and has had the courage to cut him out."

I have to say I remember, years ago, being at a loss to understand how Vaz was made chair of the Home Affairs select committee. He was just so ghastly. Wasn't at all surprised when he had to resign.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Wifey advised that I do the same with watches. So I only bought cheapie retro Casio ones recently. But all are currently reduced to weekend wear only as the Apple Watch is all conquering during the week when I need to keep up with multiple alerts from various apps.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

I'm currently contemplating an upgrade to 128GB and 16 core, but for £1500 not £7000.

Photogrammetry is memory hungry...
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

SystemSettings > Users&Groups > ADD USER.

Make her user a standard user not an admin, and don’t give her your password. You can both even log in at the same time, and switch between you from the screen saver screen.
  • Options

Deepest of deep joys.

At least the WAGs of Manchester and Liverpool won’t be wanting to go to this one!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Just set up a user account for her, and switch to it. Also useful for work to have a "giving a presentation" account.
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/oct/30/keith-vaz-and-claudia-webbe-could-stand-as-independents-in-leicester-east

"(Sir Peter) Soulsby, who is serving his fourth term as Labour mayor and is a former MP for Leicester South, said his former political rival Vaz and the current MP Webbe were known to be plotting to stand again as independent MPs.

“We could well have two disgraced former Labour party candidates standing in the seat. People are saying that this is a real possibility and it might split the vote and let the Tories in. We as a party need to have a good and credible candidate in place as soon as possible,” he said.

“Keith has been a cancer in the political body of Leicester for decades and like many others in the Labour party in the city I am relieved that the party has realised and has had the courage to cut him out."

I have to say I remember, years ago, being at a loss to understand how Vaz was made chair of the Home Affairs select committee. He was just so ghastly. Wasn't at all surprised when he had to resign.
    There are a number of MPs in all parties, who should never have passed basic vetting. Let alone being adopted as candidates.
  • Options
    Leon said:

From the East, unwarned

Slightly more prosaic setting but more dramatic.

• Options
    The best lesson learnt from the covid inquiry we could possibly take is the need to ensure that the cabinet is made up of people of the calibre of Hugo Keith rather than the likes of Gavin Williamson, Matt Hancock or Boris Johnson.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Wouldn't two in two out make more sense?
  • Options
    Courthouse News Service - Poll: Trump keeps big lead in Iowa, but Haley moves up to tie with DeSantis

Ron DeSantis and Nikki Haley “are on ground that you could only describe as shaky compared to the solid ground that Donald Trump stands on,” said pollster J. Ann Selzer.

DES MOINES, Iowa (CN) — Despite his legal troubles, former President Donald Trump maintains a commanding 27-point lead in Iowa over his nearest rivals for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination, according to a new poll published Monday by the Des Moines Register. Former U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley moved up to tie for second with Florida Governor Ron DeSantis.

Forty-three percent of Iowa Republicans likely to attend their party caucuses Jan. 15, 2024, declared Trump their top pick, which is up a tick from his support among 42% of likely GOP caucusgoers in the Register’s August poll.

Haley and DeSantis were tied at 16% in Monday’s poll, with the remainder of the field of major Republican candidates trailing in single digits.

“That’s a drop of 3 percentage points for DeSantis, who was the first choice of 19% of caucusgoers in August,” the Register reported. “And it’s a 10-point jump for Haley, who was at 6%.” Haley doubled her support among independent voters, the Register reported. . . .

The poll, done in association with NBC News and Mediacom, has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.9 percentage points.

Iowa Republicans will gather in precinct caucuses Jan. 15, 2024, to begin the delegate selection process, which is the first measure of voters’ sentiment heading into the November 2024 election. Monday’s Iowa poll results for the second spot suggest Iowa voters may have begun sorting out their preferences after seeing nearly a dozen GOP hopefuls traversing the state in recent months. . . .

Although U.S. Senator Tim Scott of South Carolina has devoted time and resources to campaigning in Iowa, the poll showed him with just 7% of potential caucusgoers' support, down 2 percentage points from the August poll. Entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy and former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie were tied at 4%.

Former Vice President Mike Pence announced Saturday he was dropping out of the race.

Trump holds a larger lead nationally, with the support of 56.9% of Republicans as of Oct. 28, according to an average of polls by the website FiveThirtyEight. DeSantis was in second place with 14.1%, followed by Haley at 8%, based on the national polling average.

The Register poll, conducted Oct. 22-26, is based on telephone interviews with 404 registered voters in Iowa who say they will definitely or probably attend the 2024 Republican caucuses.

https://www.courthousenews.com/poll-trump-keeps-big-lead-in-iowa-but-haley-moves-up-to-tie-with-desantis/
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,024

There are a number of MPs in all parties, who should never have passed basic vetting. Let alone being adopted as candidates.
    There are a large number of MPs who I would attach it to but against Keith Va. it’s a bit unfair. He did a lot of work for the victims of BCCI that no one else cared about(thinking back to my 1991 summer job of getting the data asap).
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,914
    edited October 2023

Leon said:

From the East, unwarned

Belay that - just realised they're the screen at thV&A.
  • Options

Cummings is an interesting man. Being angry and smug at the same time is quite a difficult combination to pull off but he absolutely owns it.
  • Options

Cummings is an interesting man. Being angry and smug at the same time is quite a difficult combination to pull off but he absolutely owns it.
    I am both smug and happy.

I am the smuggest person in the room.
  • Options

Leon said:

From the East, unwarned

Nothing prosaic about the silvery Tay with the Kingdom of Fife behind it.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,525
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

From the East, unwarned

From the east, unwished
    A sad git* posts doom:
    PB unperturbed.

“Git” is absolutely fine

But in a true haiku you always needs a reference to the passing seasons. Tut
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,914
    edited October 2023

Leon said:

From the East, unwarned

Nothing prosaic about the silvery Tay with the Kingdom of Fife behind it.
    As Mr Macgonagall had it:

Beautiful silvery Tay,
    With your landscapes, so lovely and gay,
    Along each side of your waters, to Perth all the way;
    No other river in the world has got scenery more fine,
    Only I am told the beautiful Rhine,
    Near to Wormit Bay, it seems very fine,
    Where the Railway Bridge is towering above its waters sublime,
    And the beautiful ship Mars,
    With her Juvenile Tars,
    Both lively and gay,
    Does carelessly lie
    By night and by day,
    In the beautiful Bay
    Of the silvery Tay.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333
    edited October 2023

Their dynamic reminds me a little bit of Bogarde and Fox in The Servant.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

Government by WhatsApp is an undesirable development I feel - but if they do it then I should hope they do delete everything or else, when leaked, it becomes akin to a phone-tap.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,077

She deleted or could not recall anything of all her time as Imelda. She is a wrong un
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

From the East, unwarned

Broughty? I can't mind the lumps in the foreground.
    Not far off, the V&A caff. A tantalising glimpse of the Disco..

• Options
    Stocky said:

Government by WhatsApp is an undesirable development I feel - but if they do it then I should hope they do delete everything or else, when leaked, it becomes akin to a phone-tap.
    The correct way to do it is with an app like Signal, which can be set to auto-delete all messages after 24 or 48 hours. Have a protocol that these platforms are to be used in the same way as a phone call or face-to-face conversation, and that all communication between officials needs to be through a managed service such as Teams or Slack.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

From the East, unwarned

From the east, unwished
    A sad git* posts doom:
    PB unperturbed.

“Git” is absolutely fine

But in a true haiku you always needs a reference to the passing seasons. Tut
    Git is how I keep track of my releases as well.
This discussion has been closed.