Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

We need a new Green Policy – Part 1 – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited October 2023 in General
imageWe need a new Green Policy – Part 1 – politicalbetting.com

Net Zero, that’s where our bank balances are headed on current trends. According to the OBR it will cost £1.4 trillion to complete Net Zero by 2050, that’s more than 3 times the cost of the COVID emergency, but obviously over a longer timescale.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    I am broadly in favour of Net Zero but would like to see it achieved by British investment so we do not find ourselves paying Americans and Europeans for electricity generated by their wind, solar and tidal farms in our country (which is where we are now with many utilities).
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited October 2023
    Government indeed has a record of understating the costs of a project, often by several times. It also has a record of greatly overstating the benefits. So it was obviously crazy to agree to spend £1.4 trillion of other people's money (and in reality probably very much more) almost casually, and with less democratic debate than we got over banning a dangerous type of dog. If a mayor for Hartlepool or some regional assembly needs a referendum, this certainly does. It has large direct or indirect impacts on most areas of government policy. And, as the article notes, our own contribution to a global problem is barely even a rounding error. The rationale relies on the extremely dubious idea that we will be a shining example to other countries - we screw our economy and society to have a tiny impact and they are lemmings who will be so inspired that they will follow us. I can't really imagine anything that show less understanding of the hard-headed and ruthlessly self-interested calculations in Beijing or New Delhi.

So, yes, let's look again at this policy. Hopefully we will scrap it, or at least water it down until it does little harm, like the Germans are starting to do. And let's end the practice of fixing some targets (but not others) in law to try to commit future generations - they are capable of making their own minds up, and do not need us to try to dictate their priorities.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited October 2023
    One point of what may seem like pedantry but is actually quite important. The 1.5C target is 1.5C OVER PRE-INDUSTRIAL LEVELS. Estimates are that we are at 1.2C over such levels. So if the world manages to hit its target (which it won't), and if we're exactly representative of that, we're looking at an increase of only 0.3C. Which, sadly, won't make London into Lyon.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

> China 29% of world emissions, I can’t honestly see them take the remotest interest

If we're going to have posts that don't have any betting content than that's fine and I do appreciate that it takes a lot of effort to write them. But just a little bit of research to check your assumptions might be nice?

A link has been provided at the top of the article.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,406

> China 29% of world emissions, I can’t honestly see them take the remotest interest

If we're going to have posts that don't have any betting content than that's fine and I do appreciate that it takes a lot of effort to write them. But just a little bit of research to check your assumptions might be nice?

I think it was a reference to this:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/29/china-wind-solar-power-global-renewable-energy-leader
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/29/china-wind-solar-power-global-renewable-energy-leader
    But then theres also

https://time.com/6090732/china-coal-power-plants-emissions/

the point being while China is doing some good things on the ground its also doing some bad ones and in total it intends to do what suits it, not what suits us.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075
    "Israel offered a ceasefire in exchange for Hamas releasing all hostages and handing over the bodies of dead Israelis, but Hamas refused, Al Arabiya reported."

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1717944810718306444

Truth, or infowars?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

But then theres also

https://time.com/6090732/china-coal-power-plants-emissions/

the point being while China is doing some good things on the ground its also doing some bad ones and in total it intends to do what suits it, not what suits us.
    Yes, but that's not the same as showing no interest.

They are showing considerable interest, and actually further on the path to decarbonisation than we are in some key ways. However, they are not there yet and their determination to rely on domestic resources (coal) is masking the overall picture.
  • Options
    An interesting threader, thanks, and I look forward to Part Two.

"A 1.5 degree rise will give us a temperature more akin to central France. "

Part of the issue with climate change (man-made and natural) is that the effects are hard to discern in advance. We were at the National Space Centre yesterday, and there's a model there that highlights quite how far north the UK is. We should have similar climates to Canada and Norway, but we are warmer, thanks to the Gulf Stream. If that gets shifted, then wave bye-bye to any increases in temperature for us.

There are other advantages to 'going green', aside from the climate. My view is that some of the best - perhaps the best - series of legislation to come out of parliament post-WW2 are he various clean air act. They have improved air quality and saved countless lives. Removing ICE cars from the road will be another big step towards a more liveable environment.

But as is often the case, the question then becomes: how fast? How fast can we make this change? How fast should we make this change?
  • Options
    edited October 2023

"Israel offered a ceasefire in exchange for Hamas releasing all hostages and handing over the bodies of dead Israelis, but Hamas refused, Al Arabiya reported."

Truth, or infowars?

Al-Arabiyah is in effect an arm of the Saudi government and such a story would suit them well. It would give them an excuse to start edging towards Israel again when the current war ends.

A ground invasion is a very risky move which is why Biden has been trying to stop it (unsuccessfully it would seem). So it isn't impossible.

That said, given his track record I can imagine Netanyahu might make such an offer knowing it would be refused and he would then have a pretext to invade over Biden's objections. Bottom line is, if he is to survive he needs a ground offensive and a major win. Even that may not (hopefully, will not) be enough for his career.
  • Options
    Aussies 46/0 after 3.5 overs against NZ.
  • Options
    TimS said:

China is hitting emissions reduction path quickly, and it’s likely to accelerate. Not just policy, demographics and economic logic:

https://x.com/laurimyllyvirta/status/1716736409183146050?s=46

“China coal plants” is just an excuse for Britain to get left behind on major infrastructure transformation, as usual.

A sad little kingdom of asset sweaters.

China will simply be replaced by India and then other developing nations.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

We need NZ to win this really
  • Options
    JSpringJSpring Posts: 97
    There's an assumption in the West (particularly the Anglospheric West) that the entire world has the same priorities and takes the same or similar outlook as it does. The climate issue is a prominent example of this, but other examples would include various 'cultural war' stuff that has dominated a Anglospheric politics in recent years.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,471
    edited October 2023

I am broadly in favour of Net Zero but would like to see it achieved by British investment so we do not find ourselves paying Americans and Europeans for electricity generated by their wind, solar and tidal farms in our country (which is where we are now with many utilities).

We make wind turbines here on the island. We just don’t have any sited here, due to a surfeit of acronyms (SSIAs + AONB + NT + NIMBY)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

England's world record ODI score is getting beaten today.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,809
    edited October 2023

TimS said:

China is hitting emissions reduction path quickly, and it’s likely to accelerate. Not just policy, demographics and economic logic:

“China coal plants” is just an excuse for Britain to get left behind on major infrastructure transformation, as usual.

It’s an odd attitude. Firstly because I think it’ll end up being wrong: coal is already increasingly difficult to finance and replacement cleaner energies are getting cheaper by the minute.

Second because even if it were, it’s such a nihilistic view. It’s like saying China isn’t bothered about human rights so let’s jettison our own.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Truth, or infowars?

Al-Arabiyah is in effect an arm of the Saudi government and such a story would suit them well. It would give them an excuse to start edging towards Israel again when the current war ends.

A ground invasion is a very risky move which is why Biden has been trying to stop it (unsuccessfully it would seem). So it isn't impossible.

That said, given his track record I can imagine Netanyahu might make such an offer knowing it would be refused and he would then have a pretext to invade over Biden's objections. Bottom line is, if he is to survive he needs a ground offensive and a major win. Even that may not (hopefully, will not) be enough for his career.
    Millions of innocents had to die just so Bush & Blair could be seen to be doing something, even if the something had nothing to do with the cause of 9/11….at least in this case you can join the dots between cause and effect, in terms of target. The issue is the hostages, which Hamas will release at two every week, with lots of taking (through intermediaries) in between, to try and keep Israeli in a painful limbo of inaction.
  • Options
    Britain’s most senior civil servant reportedly warned that Boris Johnson was showing “Trump-Bolsonaro levels of mad and dangerous” for wanting to end Covid social distancing rules.

Simon Case, the Cabinet Secretary, is said to have made the remark in a WhatsApp message sent in July 2020, months into the first wave of Covid hitting the UK.

The exchange, reported by The Times, is expected to be published by the public inquiry into the Government’s response to the pandemic.

Both Donald Trump, the former US president, and Jair Bolsonaro, then the Brazilian president, were criticised for taking too sceptical an approach to restrictions such as lockdowns that were designed to stop the spread of Covid.

The Telegraph could not independently confirm whether Mr Case had made the comment, said to have been contained in a WhatsApp group with a small number of senior No 10 figures.

The Cabinet Office, headed by Mr Case, did not immediately respond to a request for comment

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/10/27/simon-case-allegedly-called-boris-johnson-trump-level-mad/
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    Hint to those seeking the Moral High Ground over Foreigners:
    Don't open by saying you're concerned about the effect that saving the world will have on your bank balance.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Truth, or infowars?

Millions of innocents had to die just so Bush & Blair could be seen to be doing something, even if the something had nothing to do with the cause of 9/11….at least in this case you can join the dots between cause and effect, in terms of target. The issue is the hostages, which Hamas will release at two every week, with lots of taking (through intermediaries) in between, to try and keep Israeli in a painful limbo of inaction.
    Well, if that was the intention, it's failed.

And I think that's partly because Hamas are actually not keen on peace either.
  • Options

Britain’s most senior civil servant reportedly warned that Boris Johnson was showing “Trump-Bolsonaro levels of mad and dangerous” for wanting to end Covid social distancing rules.

Simon Case, the Cabinet Secretary, is said to have made the remark in a WhatsApp message sent in July 2020, months into the first wave of Covid hitting the UK.

The exchange, reported by The Times, is expected to be published by the public inquiry into the Government’s response to the pandemic.

Both Donald Trump, the former US president, and Jair Bolsonaro, then the Brazilian president, were criticised for taking too sceptical an approach to restrictions such as lockdowns that were designed to stop the spread of Covid.

The Telegraph could not independently confirm whether Mr Case had made the comment, said to have been contained in a WhatsApp group with a small number of senior No 10 figures.

The Cabinet Office, headed by Mr Case, did not immediately respond to a request for comment

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/10/27/simon-case-allegedly-called-boris-johnson-trump-level-mad/

Rich, coming from him.

But then, he's not been nicknamed Head Case in the public sector for no reason.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

For us to make the semi finals we need all bar three other teams to have every member of the squad go down with Covid.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,418
    Whilst @Alanbrooke makes some good points I can't say I'm enjoying the reactionary nature of his threads very much.

They just smack somewhat of 'Ok, Boomer'. In other words, older boomer generation reactionary moaning instead of engaging positively with the changing of the guard.

It's not very in-keeping with the measured and a-political nature of this site, which usually doesn't go down this GB News route.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

England's world record ODI score is getting beaten today.
    I'm disappointed you didn't say Aus are coming back strongly with plenty of Head.
  • Options
    Freedland’s latest article in the Guardian, on Israel-Palestine; a statement of the obvious, but very well stated nonetheless:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/oct/27/tragedy-israel-palestine-conflict-horror

• Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,033
    Heathener said:

Whilst @Alanbrooke makes some good points I can't say I'm enjoying the reactionary nature of his threads very much.

It's gammon week and the site is turning into PB News. Fuck this guy and fuck his articles.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,832
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Truth, or infowars?

Though interestingly, the people of Gaza are, or were. 54% support a 2 state solution, and only 10% support the elimination of Israel as a Jewish state. Only 24% would vote for Hamas in a democratic election. This polling finished on October 6th. Polling on the West Bank also supported a 2 state solution, though not quite so strongly.

https://reader.foreignaffairs.com/2023/10/25/what-palestinians-really-think-of-hamas/content.html
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Heathener said:

It's gammon week and the site is turning into PB News. Fuck this guy and fuck his articles.
    LOL
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Truth, or infowars?

Though interestingly, the people of Gaza are, or were. 54% support a 2 state solution, and only 10% support the elimination of Israel as a Jewish state. Only 24% would vote for Hamas in a democratic election. This polling finished on October 6th. Polling on the West Bank also supported a 2 state solution, though not quite so strongly.

https://reader.foreignaffairs.com/2023/10/25/what-palestinians-really-think-of-hamas/content.html
    Unfortunately, as has been said often by many posters, Hamas do not care about the people of Gaza or their needs.

It is encouraging to see how unpopular they are, however.
  • Options
    Oops a daisy, Glenn Phillips.

(Rare to see him drop one, he's normally very good. But boy New Zealand could have done with him hanging on there.)
  • Options
    One piece of good news, anyway - the body sighted floating in the sea off Shanklin has turned out to be a piece of wood.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

One point of what may seem like pedantry but is actually quite important. The 1.5C target is 1.5C OVER PRE-INDUSTRIAL LEVELS. Estimates are that we are at 1.2C over such levels. So if the world manages to hit its target (which it won't), and if we're exactly representative of that, we're looking at an increase of only 0.3C. Which, sadly, won't make London into Lyon.

Quite conceivably climate change could make Britain colder and wetter as a result of changes to the Atlantic currents. So London more like Belfast in climate than Lyon.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

One piece of good news, anyway - the body sighted floating in the sea off Shanklin has turned out to be a piece of wood.

Mark or Elijah?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Fishing said:

Quite conceivably climate change could make Britain colder and wetter as a result of changes to the Atlantic currents. So London more like Belfast in climate than Lyon.
    The prediction was hotter summers and wetter autumns. But like all predictions it could be wrong.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Truth, or infowars?

Unfortunately, as has been said often by many posters, Hamas do not care about the people of Gaza or their needs.

Sadly, their popularity goes up after such incursions, so setting back peace even further.

It is clear though that support for Palestine is not the same as support for for Hamas, just as opposition to antisemitism is not the same as support for the government of Israel.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,834

Heathener said:

They just smack somewhat of 'Ok, Boomer'. In other words, older boomer generation reactionary moaning instead of engaging positively with the changing of the guard.

It's not very in-keeping with the measured and a-political nature of this site, which usually doesn't go down this GB News route.

Feel free to write an article yourself, the site always welcomes them.
    Yes indeed. I welcome the article although I disagree with it on so many points, principally that we should only do what’s good for Britain and the rest of the world can go to hell.

However it’s good to hear a range of voices and views, so thanks to @AlanBrooke for taking the time to produce it and the other articles.
  • Options
    The cheat is out.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Feel free to write an article yourself, the site always welcomes them.
    Yes indeed. I welcome the article although I disagree with it on so many points, principally that we should only do what’s good for Britain and the rest of the world can go to hell.

However it’s good to hear a range of voices and views, so thanks to @AlanBrooke for taking the time to produce it and the other articles.
    Part two might answer some o your concerns, but as I see it the rest of the world has its own priorities we are kidding ourselves if we think we can change temperatures by ourselves, the numbers just dont add up.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Fishing said:

The prediction was hotter summers and wetter autumns. But like all predictions it could be wrong.
    It was the other way round this year.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Truth, or infowars?

This seems like a very wholesome to poll it. As it reads they got three options: Two states as per Oslo, an Arab-Jewish confederation (so separate states but with free movement etc) and a single state for both Jews and Arabs. I guess the single state is what you're reading as "the elimination of Israel as a Jewish state". But logically there's another option, that the Jews in Israel go away and/or die and you have a single Palestinian state covering the entire territory.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Truth, or infowars?

Sadly, their popularity goes up after such incursions, so setting back peace even further.

It is clear though that support for Palestine is not the same as support for for Hamas, just as opposition to antisemitism is not the same as support for the government of Israel.
    Is that clear in all cases? No, it isn't. There will be lots of people quite happy to see the Jews taking a kicking, for a variety of excuses that all, when you get down to it, revolve around the black hole of anti-Semitism.

Sadly, it can be hard to distinguish the people who want the Palestinians to live and thrive and hate Hamas, from the ones who secretly quite like what Hamas is doing if it means a 'free' Palestine.
  • Options
    Regarding that £1.4 trillion - where does that money actually go? Does it disappear down some mythical monetary plug hole or does it actually get spent and therefore recycled round the economy?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Fishing said:

Well yes but one summer doesnt make a century. Part of the problem is forecasts are just that and are prone to revision. But if the hot summers are the best guess then on what else do we plan ?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Fishing said:

1.5C is a global mean. Land masses warm more rapidly than oceans. The warming expected for the SE UK under a mitigation scenario where we stick to 1.5C globally is about 2.0C. Obviously way higher than that for some continental and polar regions, already.
  • Options

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Truth, or infowars?

This seems like a very wholesome to poll it. As it reads they got three options: Two states as per Oslo, an Arab-Jewish confederation (so separate states but with free movement etc) and a single state for both Jews and Arabs. I guess the single state is what you're reading as "the elimination of Israel as a Jewish state". But logically there's another option, that the Jews in Israel go away and/or die and you have a single Palestinian state covering the entire territory.
    Sure, there are other options, but a clear majority for a 2 state solution based on 1967 borders. That doesn't necessarily mean support of the Oslo Accords, as what was proposed was far short of a Palestinian state, for example leaving economic policy under Israeli control.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Foxy said:

Fishing said:

1.5C is a global mean. Land masses warm more rapidly than oceans. The warming expected for the SE UK under a mitigation scenario where we stick to 1.5C globally is about 2.0C. Obviously way higher than that for some continental and polar regions, already.
    … so long as global warming doesn’t upset the Gulf Stream.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Fishing said:

Summer was warmer than average including the hottest June on record.

Autumn is rapidly becoming a very wet one after a dry start.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,667
    We'll get to Net Zero: the shift to renewables and electrification is unstoppable and abatement through CCUS is developing quickly - it's a question of when, not if, as the IEA report set out last week. However, we might not get there for 2050 and we almost certainly won't be able to limit warming to 1.5C.

My guess is about 2.2-2.4C of warming and that we'll hit NZ by about 2060, globally. We're already at 1.2C warming now, so that will be shit, and create all sorts of issues, including mass migration ones, but it isn't the complete end of the world and it doesn't threaten human survival either. It's far from the catastrophic 4-5C of warming (or worse) that we were looking at 10-15 years ago.

What will shift the dial? Technology and economics. Wind and solar is cheaper than gas now, in many instances, and electric cars and heating are getting better and cheaper all the time.

Just not quite fast enough. What happens in the next 5-10 years is crucial.
  • Options
    TimS said:

I was going to like this post, for the first sentence and Twitter link - which is broadly accurate; there should be a massive in Chinese renewables in the next 10 years - but the rest of the post put me off.

Why do so many on the left take such active pleasure in falsely denigrating and hating their own country?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Truth, or infowars?

Sure, there are other options, but a clear majority for a 2 state solution based on 1967 borders. That doesn't necessarily mean support of the Oslo Accords, as what was proposed was far short of a Palestinian state, for example leaving economic policy under Israeli control.
    As I read it it's a clear majority for that *compared to the other options they were offered*. If none of the options you're offered is what you actually want, won't necessarily be a supporter of whichever of the forced choices you pick.

Another way to read this polling is that they were offered three different degrees of living alongside Israeli Jews, and picked the one that involved the least degree of doing that.
  • Options
    Cheapest car insurance offer so far this year is over 60% higher than last year.
  • Options

TimS said:

The challenge is how developing countries develop economically - which they will absolutely want to do, and must do - without carbonising like we did in undertaking ours.

The answer, of course, is mass availability of wind and solar power at absolute knock-down prices, that are deployable as 'plug and play', so they aren't economically incentivised to do anything else.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Truth, or infowars?

Polling on Hamas's support is understandably all over the place. Here's a 2021 poll:

"Poll finds dramatic rise in Palestinian support for Hamas ... The poll found that 53% of Palestinians believe Hamas is “most deserving of representing and leading the Palestinian people,” while only 14% prefer Abbas’ secular Fatah party."

https://apnews.com/article/hamas-middle-east-science-32095d8e1323fc1cad819c34da08fd87

And a problem is this: everyone knows how thoroughly anti-Semitic Hamas is, and what their objective is wrt Jews. You cannot support Hamas and say that you're not anti-Semitic - it's like a German saying they supported the Nazis because they built good roads or had good education policies.

Hamas still exist in Gaza not just because they have power and guns; but because they also have enough support. Sadly, like the Iranian regime.
  • Options
    The UK producing (consuming more than) 1% of global emissions and being 1% of the worlds populations does not strike me as a good reason for not doing our share.

And there is a lot about the economic cost, but what about the economic benefits? Green technology is a massive growth industry and something we can be a leader in if we invest and put our minds to it.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,067
    ydoethur said:

Cheapest car insurance offer so far this year is over 60% higher than last year.

Mine’s not as bad as that, but it’s still gone up!

And good morning everybody. A few clouds in the sky this morning; sadly, from the Department of the Environment point of view, coming up from the Southeast!
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    TimS said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Fishing said:

Though August was a washout and September unseasonably warm. Increased unpredictability of an already unpredictable climate is not a good thing.

Starmers Green Prosperity Plan does poll well incidentally. Strongly too with the "Loyal Nationalists" of the "Red Wall".

https://twitter.com/LukeTryl/status/1717811493410889927?t=DQb_YrF0-fw1sNprh_IEMQ&s=19

• Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,799
    The net zero policies will self terminate if they punish the poor and benefit the rich, which is how it looks a lot of the time.
  • Options

We know they have a lot of emissions, they have a massive population that is now a long way on the path to being fully industrialized. What you said was "I can't honestly see them take the remotest interest". This is completely wrong, you can see how wrong it is from a few minutes of googling, and it's the whole premise of your argument.

They have massive renewable energy programs, they're building loads of nuclear which the US and EU have almost given up, they're subsidizing EVs and getting loads of traction with them. They are doing the energy transition. And the reason renewables are seeing the spectacular cost reductions they are is because *both* Obama *and* Xi promoted and subsidized them. It's true that their net zero target is somewhat less ambitious than Britain's (2060 vs 2050) for whatever that's worth, but they also set shorter-term targets and mostly hit them.

If you try to you can of course find some measures where they're worse - since you're comparing a massive still-industrializing economy to a medium-sized mature economy you'll be able to find measures on either side. In any country you'll find people like you who will pick the parts to say the other countries aren't doing anything. The way for this stuff to grind to a halt is if British people listen to the British Alanbrooke and Chinese people listen to the Chinese Alanbrooke and each country decides to stop trying to solve the problem on the grounds that they're being taken for a ride by all the other countries.
    I largely agree with this, the problem is the issue is becoming policiticised at the margins - which sometimes creeps further into mainstream opinion - because people can't help but link it to their politics, interfering with people's choices, the way they like to live, and grand utopian schemes to remake society. The two become so closely associated that people reject the former as they see it as linked to and an enabler of the latter.

This is fundamentally an energy problem. It's solved by technology and economics.

There it should stay and there it should remain.
  • Options
    darkage said:

The net zero policies will self terminate if they punish the poor and benefit the rich, which is how it looks a lot of the time.

The poor always get the shitty deal. They are also the biggest victims of climate change.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,732
    Morning all.

Another wheel falling off Rishi Sunak's clown car.

Transport for All have been cleared to pursue a Judicial Review into Sunak and Harpers' cutting of almost all Active Travel investment for the next years to cut thruppence off the price of petrol / diesel for a few weeks.

https://transportactionnetwork.org.uk/high-court-orders-government-to-answer-on-walking-and-cycling-funding-cuts/
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Fishing said:

Though August was a washout and September unseasonably warm. Increased unpredictability of an already unpredictable climate is not a good thing.

Starmers Green Prosperity Plan does poll well incidentally. Strongly too with the "Loyal Nationalists" of the "Red Wall".

https://twitter.com/LukeTryl/status/1717811493410889927?t=DQb_YrF0-fw1sNprh_IEMQ&s=19

Well maybe, but everybody agrees on doing nice things until the bills come in. When the policies hit the pocket thats when we see if they really support it or not.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Good news is it should actually save people money. See the NIC report last week.

For example, if you electrify your house with solar panels and storage batteries you can cut your electricity bill by anything from 30-70%, ad-infinitum. The issue is being able to shell out the £6-10k up front for all the kit, but even then it repays for itself over 10-12 years, and then makes a profit thereafter.

I know this because I've just ordered. But I can only do so because I have (some) spare capital. HMG should be offering £5k+ discounts on all of this, and to borrow the rest at cost - or make it easy to add to mortgages.

Heat pumps are different. They need to be less shit. They need to pump in 20C+ of heat, with turboboost options for when it's really cold, not just 14-15C and only really working when your house is insulated like an igloo. But, again, once in - no gas bills.

So this will make us wealthier overall, if we get it right.
  • Options
    P.S. HMG may still tax us a bit to fund CCUS, as lots of old oil & gas companies are going to move into that, on top of renewables/nuclear generation, and atm I can't quite see the business model which is focussed on the "U" bit (usage) that no-one's quite yet worked out.
  • Options

Regarding that £1.4 trillion - where does that money actually go? Does it disappear down some mythical monetary plug hole or does it actually get spent and therefore recycled round the economy?

I think that is a cost figure which ignores the other side.

The OBR also identified £1.1bn cost savings through reducing the spend on fossil fuels.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/oct/02/report-claiming-net-zero-will-cost-uk-trillions-retracted-due-to-factual-errors
  • Options

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Fishing said:

Well maybe, but everybody agrees on doing nice things until the bills come in. When the policies hit the pocket thats when we see if they really support it or not.
    There is widespread polling support for green policies.

There are even a lot of Tories who don't want to trash the country and planet.

• Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,237
    edited October 2023
    IanB2 said:

We make wind turbines here on the island. We just don’t have any sited here, due to a surfeit of acronyms (SSIAs + AONB + NT + NIMBY)
    Ian, I generally expect better of you. The obvious place for wind, environmentally, is intensively managed farmland, and perhaps urban areas. Further degrading our best landscapes and habitats makes no sense at all.
  • Options
    Steve Smith is playing so badly right now he might almost be English.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Ian, I generally expect better of you. The obvious place for wind, environmentally, is intensively managed farmland, and perhaps urban areas. Further degrading our best landscapes and habitats makes no sense at all.
    Here in Crete they're all on mountaintops.

Looking at the mountains, somebody did some very clever work to get them up there.
  • Options

We know they have a lot of emissions, they have a massive population that is now a long way on the path to being fully industrialized. What you said was "I can't honestly see them take the remotest interest". This is completely wrong, you can see how wrong it is from a few minutes of googling, and it's the whole premise of your argument.

They have massive renewable energy programs, they're building loads of nuclear which the US and EU have almost given up, they're subsidizing EVs and getting loads of traction with them. They are doing the energy transition. And the reason renewables are seeing the spectacular cost reductions they are is because *both* Obama *and* Xi promoted and subsidized them. It's true that their net zero target is somewhat less ambitious than Britain's (2060 vs 2050) for whatever that's worth, but they also set shorter-term targets and mostly hit them.

If you try to you can of course find some measures where they're worse - since you're comparing a massive still-industrializing economy to a medium-sized mature economy you'll be able to find measures on either side. In any country you'll find people like you who will pick the parts to say the other countries aren't doing anything. The way for this stuff to grind to a halt is if British people listen to the British Alanbrooke and Chinese people listen to the Chinese Alanbrooke and each country decides to stop trying to solve the problem on the grounds that they're being taken for a ride by all the other countries.
    You're simply making my point. They have loads of their own priorities and they are not looking to the UK for a lead.

As for your point on coordinated action if we all put our own houses in order in our own way we will end up with a similar result.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Looking at the mountains, somebody did some very clever work to get them up there.
    No; they almost certainly made massive haul roads to get them up onto to the tops. In some landscapes that might be acceptable; in others, such as peat uplands, as an example, it's disastrous.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Fishing said:

Well youre letting your views on conservatives blind the reality. Most conservatives support a clean environment, its in the name. You simply highlight that Lefties dont know how to get to common ground. If you spent less time making everything a political campaign and more time on bottom up measures we would all make more progress.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 803
    The three step plan in full:

Step 1: don't take sufficient action to stop climate change running out of control.

Step 2: realise Britain has failed to become a leader in any new technologies as other countries adapt faster.

Step 3: complain about all these new migrants from places that are now inhospitable, Britain's weather is fine thank you very much.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

No; they almost certainly made massive haul roads to get them up onto to the tops. In some landscapes that might be acceptable; in others, such as peat uplands, as an example, it's disastrous.
    Getting a 'massive haul road' up *these* mountains was still very clever work.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,580
    edited October 2023

darkage said:

Good news is it should actually save people money. See the NIC report last week.

For example, if you electrify your house with solar panels and storage batteries you can cut your electricity bill by anything from 30-70%, ad-infinitum. The issue is being able to shell out the £6-10k up front for all the kit, but even then it repays for itself over 10-12 years, and then makes a profit thereafter.

I know this because I've just ordered. But I can only do so because I have (some) spare capital. HMG should be offering £5k+ discounts on all of this, and to borrow the rest at cost - or make it easy to add to mortgages.

Heat pumps are different. They need to be less shit. They need to pump in 20C+ of heat, with turboboost options for when it's really cold, not just 14-15C and only really working when your house is insulated like an igloo. But, again, once in - no gas bills.

Biggish if, though.

Human nature, Treasury brain, Anglo Saxon Short Term Capitalism, Boomer "after I've gone"ness...

There are a lot of pressures to avoid short term costs for long term gain.

See British Infrastructure, passim ad nauseum.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

darkage said:

I see no rationale for a discount - home owners are relatively well off and do not need free money. The UK Govt attitude, which I think is correct, has been to offer incentives where the market and actual cost / benefit cannot meet the need, or on condition of fabric improvements as applied to solar FIT and now applies far too minimally to Heat Pump grants. In the case of solar I think the market can do it already - a regulatory intervention to unlock the investment would be better value imo.

Given the rapid rise in house prices most can easily borrow such a small sum on a marginal mortgage increase. Perhaps the Govt could offer funding against 1-3% of equity in the house.

Can you elucidate on that "20C+ of heat"? Heat is in kWh or kJ, not Celsius, and heating a house is about amount of heat gained and lost not temperature differences.

(I won't draw attention to igloos being built out of material that are as poor as insulators as a naked brick wall :smile: )
  • Options
    Ratters said:

Step 1: don't take sufficient action to stop climate change running out of control.

Step 2: realise Britain has failed to become a leader in any new technologies as other countries adapt faster.

Step 3: complain about all these new migrants from places that are now inhospitable, Britain's weather is fine thank you very much.

That's rather unfair. Firstly, Britain (yes, under the coalition *and* Conservatives) have made massive strides towards going green. We have adapted fast - and they get f'all credit for it.

Secondly, we're a small country with a (relatively) small industrial base, especially in low-value, high-volume stuff. The chances are we would always be outplayed in high-volume technology.

Thirdly, *nothing* Britain could do would stop climate change running out of control. Even if we had zero emissions, the emissions from the rest of the world would dwarf that.

Fourthly, people need jobs. I daresay people in public service, especially occupations such as the NHS or education, may feel a certain amount of job security. But going green too fast could really damage the economy. Like many things, it is a balancing game.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Fishing said:

Well youre letting your views on conservatives blind the reality. Most conservatives support a clean environment, its in the name. You simply highlight that Lefties dont know how to get to common ground. If you spent less time making everything a political campaign and more time on bottom up measures we would all make more progress.
    Well this government is noted for putting shit in our rivers and pollutants in our air.

Many conservatives do care about these things, which is one of many reasons that they are increasingly alienated from the current government.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593
    IIRC something like 60% of the worlds EV production is consumed in China. Mostly brands no one here will have ever heard of.

One thing that is often discounted is that developing countries buy equipment from the developed world. Often second hand, but there has been a noticeable effect in terms of emissions, safety etc, as what is available in the developed world improves.

For example, fairly soon, ICE engines will fading away. Development has stopped, pretty much. Even in the cases where local production of cheap cars in the developing world occurs, they are based on components and technology from the global supply chain.

Quite simply, it is going to get harder and much more expensive to build an ICE, anywhere. And at the same time, the reductions in cost will make EVs ever cheaper.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Fishing said:

Well this government is noted for putting shit in our rivers and pollutants in our air.

Many conservatives do care about these things, which is one of many reasons that they are increasingly alienated from the current government.
    Governments have always put sh*t in our rivers - including New Labour. I am fairly convinced that what we're seeing now is a result of the new monitoring systems.

Government have always put pollutants in our air - including New Labour. The following is quite interesting wrt London:
    https://www.london.gov.uk/programmes-strategies/environment-and-climate-change/environment-and-climate-change-publications/70-years-great-london-smog
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Ratters said:

That's rather unfair. Firstly, Britain (yes, under the coalition *and* Conservatives) have made massive strides towards going green. We have adapted fast - and they get f'all credit for it.

Secondly, we're a small country with a (relatively) small industrial base, especially in low-value, high-volume stuff. The chances are we would always be outplayed in high-volume technology.

Thirdly, *nothing* Britain could do would stop climate change running out of control. Even if we had zero emissions, the emissions from the rest of the world would dwarf that.

Fourthly, people need jobs. I daresay people in public service, especially occupations such as the NHS or education, may feel a certain amount of job security. But going green too fast could really damage the economy. Like many things, it is a balancing game.
    Where does this "relatively small industrial base" thing come from?

I know it's a meme that has been repeated ad infinitum in various media (decline of manufacturing etc), yet we are in the top 10 in the world.

On the others I agree, @JosiasJessop. On the "Europe leading in greening" at present Johnson, Sunak et al are broadly correct, though they never say that the transformation in electricity supply is far more down to Blair and Brown's governments than their own useless butt-sitting - these things have 10-20 year lead times, and Sunak just made a colossal cockup of his wind power licensing round by being Mr Spreadsheet Dunce.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Ratters said:

I know it's a meme that has been repeated ad infinitum in various media (decline of manufacturing etc), yet we are in the top 10 in the world.
    AIUI (and I may be wrong), we're very good at low-volume, high-tech items. We're less good at what we used to be good at: low-cost, high-volume stuff. The *value* of what we produce is high; the volume is lower. (*)

Sadly, things like solar cells are the latter (and we want them to be low-cost, high-volume).

(*) I might be wrong, though.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 803

Ratters said:

1) The premise of the article was about abandoning net zero. The fact we have taken good first steps, which reduced our reliance on fossil fuels but not enough, doesn't stop the right from wanting to abandon it all now.

2) There's plenty of room for us to establish a market leading position in certain niches, just as Germany does with a comparable population, if we put our mind to it.

3) It's a game theory situation where we only win it everyone plays their part. Britain, formally a leading voice for net zero, changing path would have a negative impact globally.

4) Arguments about the pace of change are different to arguments on whether we should change at all.
  • Options
    Ratters said:

Ratters said:

1) The premise of the article was about abandoning net zero. The fact we have taken good first steps, which reduced our reliance on fossil fuels but not enough, doesn't stop the right from wanting to abandon it all now.

2) There's plenty of room for us to establish a market leading position in certain niches, just as Germany does with a comparable population, if we put our mind to it.

3) It's a game theory situation where we only win it everyone plays their part. Britain, formally a leading voice for net zero, changing path would have a negative impact globally.

4) Arguments about the pace of change are different to arguments on whether we should change at all.
    1) I'm unconvinced the 'right' have abandoned net-zero. "PM recommits UK to Net Zero by 2050 and pledges a “fairer” path to achieving target to ease the financial burden on British families" (1)

2) There may be plenty of room; but it's blooming difficult to do. See wind turbines as an example, and the problems Vestas had.

3) I agree we should do our bit; and I'd argue we are.

4) I don't see many people saying we shouldn't change. So yes, it is the pace of change - and that's something that can really hit people in their pockets.

(1); https://www.gov.uk/government/news/pm-recommits-uk-to-net-zero-by-2050-and-pledges-a-fairer-path-to-achieving-target-to-ease-the-financial-burden-on-british-families
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,841

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Fishing said:

Well yes but one summer doesnt make a century. Part of the problem is forecasts are just that and are prone to revision. But if the hot summers are the best guess then on what else do we plan ?
    “You can’t trust forecasts”… These are the same canards we’ve had for decades from the fossil fuel industry.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Ratters said:

On the others I agree, @JosiasJessop. On the "Europe leading in greening" at present Johnson, Sunak et al are broadly correct, though they never say that the transformation in electricity supply is far more down to Blair and Brown's governments than their own useless butt-sitting - these things have 10-20 year lead times, and Sunak just made a colossal cockup of his wind power licensing round by being Mr Spreadsheet Dunce.
    He does rather Excel at that.

However, I take issue with your crediting it to 'Blair and Brown.' If they hadn't dithered for all their time in office over new nuclear, we might have had no coal stations left by now and much less reliance on gas.

Although the latter was an error by the Coalition as much as Blair and Borwn.
  • Options
    Aus still on for around 370 or more here.

Looks a big ask against this attack without Williamson.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,841

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Fishing said:

Hang on, I thought single issue campaigns were damaging society, but now you’re saying environmentalists should have focused on single issue bottom-up measures???
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Fishing said:

That's guff. You can criticise them for not cleaning things up fast enough but they did not put them there in. Potentially the biggest natural disaster in the UK is taking place in Lough Neagh the British Isles largest fresh water lake. Thats controlled by Stormont who have been ignoring the problem and killing the lake.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-66475360

Ive just spent 3 years working in the water sector and the problems go back decades. Nobody comes out well.

• Options
    Ratters said:

It’s a truly baffling piece. The UK isn’t going to performatively lead the world, making India push to reduce emissions. Poorer parts of the world follow the richer parts. So what we do they do later when the technology is cheaper and cascades down.

We have two choices: become a leader in clean tech and make money selling it to others, or be on the hook to pay others for it.

What is @Alanbrooke suggesting as the alternative? More fossil fuels? We’ve binned coal, so other than shipping it from Brazil to burn in recommissioned power stations that isn’t an option. We’ve burned North Sea gas, and Mr Putin is no longer an option. We’ve binned nuclear and have to pay foreign governments to build new ones.

We have a windy archipelago surrounded by violent seas. And a creative industrial economy. So either we invest in making the machines to generate electricity. Or pay others for the machines. We used to be good capitalists. What a pity we’re just shit these days.
  • Options
    For me, the point about the UK and net zero is that is a huge opportunity, not a cost or a burden.

I agree that us moving towards it aggressively will not shift the dial on overall heating trends, but it is an area where the UK can lead in terms of showing how to get there and creating systems, strategies and technologies to do it. We can cash in on such leadership in multiple ways - especially if others are delaying. After all, overall there is no alternative to net zero if the world of which we are a part is to have a viable future.

Leaving it to others while moaning about the costs is the typical British response. It has held us back for decades. Let’s try a different approach for a change.

So, I am very interested to see what part 2 brings. I’m not convinced by part 1.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Fishing said:

We had common ground on net zero. The right abandoned it.

• Options

For me, the point about the UK and net zero is that is a huge opportunity, not a cost or a burden.

I agree that us moving towards it aggressively will not shift the dial on overall heating trends, but it is an area where the UK can lead in terms of showing how to get there and creating systems, strategies and technologies to do it. We can cash in on such leadership in multiple ways - especially if others are delaying. After all, overall there is no alternative to net zero if the world of which we are a part is to have a viable future.

Leaving it to others while moaning about the costs is the typical British response. It has held us back for decades. Let’s try a different approach for a change.

So, I am very interested to see what part 2 brings. I’m not convinced by part 1.

Fair points SO, but we dont lead the world in wind technology or solar so where do you see the technology leadership ?
  • Options

darkage said:

Human nature, Treasury brain, Anglo Saxon Short Term Capitalism, Boomer "after I've gone"ness...

See British Infrastructure, passim ad nauseum.
    There's a lot of prejudice, labelling and confirmation bias in this.

Not sure it's helpful.
This discussion has been closed.