Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Humza Yousaf? More like Humza Useless – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,106

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Indications are emerging that they plan to cut IHT and/or Stamp Duty next Spring. That would be electioneering in its purest form.

It's not electioneering, it's simply being so far out of touch it's insane.

The problems in our tax system that need addressing are the insanely high marginal tax rates people have to pay, especially at cliff edges. Not IHT.

Stamp Duty shouldn't be cut, it should be abolished in full along with Council Tax and replaced with a LVT. Taxing mobility is a bloody stupid idea.
    Sunak and Hunt are already looking at increasing the threshold for the 40% income tax rate above £50,271.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/10/20/rishi-sunak-tax-cut-40pc-threshold-tories-high-earners-uk/
    That’s fine for the well off, what about the 20% rate for the people who really need the help ?
    The lowest earners were taken out of income tax altogether about 10 years ago, the Tories now need to do something for their base
    A FT worker on minimum wage (then lowest earners) receives about £21K, rising to about £22K next year. They pay IT/NI at the rate of 32% (20% IT, 12% NI) on £9/10K of that. Nearly £3000 per annum.

The double scandal is that they pay much tax at all and that the higher rate of 42% (40% IT and 2% NI) isn't all that much more.
    The treble scandal is that due to the UC Taper they realistically are on a much higher rate of real marginal tax.
    I'm just glad that after years of the press calling things that are very prominently announced and explained stealth taxes, we may actually have had such for once.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Good news, 50 up with only 4 wickets down.

So at this rate we can get the required target with the loss of only 20 wickets.

Are you sure? I make it 32.
    That's what I said. 🙈
    The conventional response is ‘I was just testing to see who was paying attention.’ :smile:
    I take it that is the DfE approved response?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,561

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

So at this rate we can get the required target with the loss of only 20 wickets.

That's what I said. 🙈
    The conventional response is ‘I was just testing to see who was paying attention.’ :smile:
    I take it that is the DfE approved response?
    If it was, I wouldn't use it.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,675

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Indications are emerging that they plan to cut IHT and/or Stamp Duty next Spring. That would be electioneering in its purest form.

Expect plenty of that in the next year.

Or Rishi Sunak really is a "useless" politician.
    I'd love to see him run things calmly for this final year, do no harm, just keep the seat warm for SKS, but I guess that's not how the world works. GEs are what politics is all about once they get close. So I do cut him some slack. He has to give it everything, leave nothing on the pitch between now and next October. He has to somehow turn it around and avoid a real thrashing. Perhaps he can. 200 seats is the magic number. This is what Sunak will be aiming for and who's to say he can't do it?
    I suspect CON supporters will typically privately be hoping for 250 min and would take that now. I would.
    In terms of whether Starmer is a one term or two term PM who the Tories pick as next leader is far more significant than their seat count after the election. In 97 the decision by Hezza nor to stand and the choice of Hague over Clarke guaranteed Blair a second term. Tories were more interested in their factional divisions then being electable. They repeated the trick in 2001 with IDS leaving Howard to sort of sort things out and minimise the damage in 2005.

The sure sign of the Tories wishing to seriously compete in 2028/9 would be electing Mordaunt despite her supposed wokeness. Badenoch or Braverman would be Hague/IDS redux.
    Absolutely no chance Clarke would have beaten Blair. Can't say whether he'd have gained a few more seats vs. Hague, but I suspect the difference would have been marginal at best. He was a man of the unfashionably recent past. It would have been like Douglas Hurd or Cecil Parkinson running against Blair.
  • Options
    Well after 10 overs, England run rate is decent...
  • Options

It's not the run rate, honey, it's the mileage wickets.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    One of the great Irish trainers - Dermot Weld - (a distant relation, as well) - on ITV Racing right now.

What do you mean, you're not watching Champions Day at Ascot?

For shame.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

One of the great Irish trainers - Dermot Weld - (a distant relation, as well) - on ITV Racing right now.

For shame.

I misread that as 'Irish Traitors' and was somewhat taken aback.
  • Options

So the 11th over is a maiden.
  • Options
    Buttler serves it up, again.
  • Options
    England about to go bottom of the table.

Was funny when it happened to the Aussies.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,038
    As usual, Ms @Cyclefree is right. We should all watch the racing from Ascot.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,050
    With this destruction of our net run rate, and the next round of fixtures being kind to the teams above us, the Sri Lanka game looks to be effectively a knock out game.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

As usual, Ms @Cyclefree is right. We should all watch the racing from Ascot.

Especially the England cricket team. Them not turning up would be less embarrassing than this.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,501
    Cyclefree said:

For shame.

I am actually. Making the most of the last of the flat since I don't follow the jumps.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,543
    I refuse to watch this anymore. It's just embarrassing.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,730
    It is with a grave and profound regret that I have to inform the honourable company of PB-ers that I am in the vicinity of Tottenham Hale
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,232

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Expect plenty of that in the next year.

Or Rishi Sunak really is a "useless" politician.
    I'd love to see him run things calmly for this final year, do no harm, just keep the seat warm for SKS, but I guess that's not how the world works. GEs are what politics is all about once they get close. So I do cut him some slack. He has to give it everything, leave nothing on the pitch between now and next October. He has to somehow turn it around and avoid a real thrashing. Perhaps he can. 200 seats is the magic number. This is what Sunak will be aiming for and who's to say he can't do it?
    I suspect CON supporters will typically privately be hoping for 250 min and would take that now. I would.
    In terms of whether Starmer is a one term or two term PM who the Tories pick as next leader is far more significant than their seat count after the election. In 97 the decision by Hezza nor to stand and the choice of Hague over Clarke guaranteed Blair a second term. Tories were more interested in their factional divisions then being electable. They repeated the trick in 2001 with IDS leaving Howard to sort of sort things out and minimise the damage in 2005.

The sure sign of the Tories wishing to seriously compete in 2028/9 would be electing Mordaunt despite her supposed wokeness. Badenoch or Braverman would be Hague/IDS redux.
    Absolutely no chance Clarke would have beaten Blair. Can't say whether he'd have gained a few more seats vs. Hague, but I suspect the difference would have been marginal at best. He was a man of the unfashionably recent past. It would have been like Douglas Hurd or Cecil Parkinson running against Blair.
    Indeed, the importance of leaders in winning general elections is overrated, they may narrow the gap of a defeat but only a few elections would have been won by the losing party with a different leader.

Maybe 1964 would have been won by the Tories under Rab Butler over Wilson rather than narrowly lost by Home and Andy Burnham would have beaten May in 2017 but hard to think of over instances.

At a push Clarke might have got a hung parliament against Blair in 2005, David Miliband a hung parliament against Cameron in 2015 and Dennis Healey a hung parliament against Thatcher in 1983 but they would still all probably have lost anyway
  • Options
    Leon said:

It is with a grave and profound regret that I have to inform the honourable company of PB-ers that I am in the vicinity of Tottenham Hale

Stay close to the station, above ground, and don't talk to anyone.
  • Options
    Israel Palestine conflict leading the news.

English cricket is completely embarrassing.

Tories tired in office and waiting to be put out of their misery.

It's official, we've returned to the 1990s.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,713
    HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

It's not electioneering, it's simply being so far out of touch it's insane.

The problems in our tax system that need addressing are the insanely high marginal tax rates people have to pay, especially at cliff edges. Not IHT.

Stamp Duty shouldn't be cut, it should be abolished in full along with Council Tax and replaced with a LVT. Taxing mobility is a bloody stupid idea.
    Sunak and Hunt are already looking at increasing the threshold for the 40% income tax rate above £50,271.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/10/20/rishi-sunak-tax-cut-40pc-threshold-tories-high-earners-uk/
    That’s fine for the well off, what about the 20% rate for the people who really need the help ?
    The lowest earners were taken out of income tax altogether about 10 years ago, the Tories now need to do something for their base
    A FT worker on minimum wage (then lowest earners) receives about £21K, rising to about £22K next year. They pay IT/NI at the rate of 32% (20% IT, 12% NI) on £9/10K of that. Nearly £3000 per annum.

The double scandal is that they pay much tax at all and that the higher rate of 42% (40% IT and 2% NI) isn't all that much more.
    So the higher rate is still more then, even in percentage terms
    Indeed the 'higher rate' is 'more' than the rate which isn't the higher rate. The clue is in the words.
  • Options

Leon said:

What is one meant to DO here? I may hide in a skip
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Leon said:

Sometimes go there on the way to Harlow station, one of the most beautiful rail routes in the country from Tottenham to Harlow as I am sure Sunil would agree
  • Options

But without the great Britpop and Euro-dance music that defined that decade.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I refuse to watch this anymore. It's just embarrassing.

I thought you were a Scot? This is the England and Wales cricket team, not yours anyway
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    On the upside, being stuck in the most insalubrious parts of London there is still a certain stubborn optimism that saves the place

Ok you live in a toilet surrounded by idiots but… you’re still in London (just). Who knows what might happen. Something good. Something amazing. You need a stroke of luck. You work hard - it might happen. You’re in one of the few great world cities. Have another go

It’s this that makes the London economy so resilient. It’s like New York. You can always dream and if you strive hard enough…

It’s hard to dream in Newent, Blackpool or Wick
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,123
    Leon said:

Leon said:

What is one meant to DO here? I may hide in a skip
    Go to the museum?
  • Options
    Leon said:

On the upside, being stuck in the most insalubrious parts of London there is still a certain stubborn optimism that saves the place

Ok you live in a toilet surrounded by idiots but… you’re still in London (just). Who knows what might happen. Something good. Something amazing. You need a stroke of luck. You work hard - it might happen. You’re in one of the few great world cities. Have another go

It’s this that makes the London economy so resilient. It’s like New York. You can always dream and if you strive hard enough…

Been to that part of London. Give me Wick any day, believe me.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,412
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

That's what I said. 🙈
    Or as Cpt Mainwaring would say ‘I was wondering who’d be the first to spot that’ 😂
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,223
    Leon said:

I drove through Camden at 5.30am today on the way to Leeds. It was filthy!
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    So, here is a question.

This World Cup is the end, surely, for pretty much every member of the squad except Brook and possibly Curran. The others are knocking on and are clearly in many cases past it. Buttler's captaincy is also surely at an end.

So, who replaces them?

Crawley is clearly being groomed for captaincy, nothing at all to do with his being a protege of Key. Sam Hain would probably be a better pick but isn't really in line due to being out of the squad.

For spin, Rehan Ahmed would possibly be an option, as would Jacks, and Bess might come back into the equation.

If we want allrounders with pacy bowling, Ed Barnard is one option. If we want a batsman who bowls, time to give Ryan Higgins a try. Tom Price could also be an option.

Tom Lammonby and Alex Lees might be worth a look for the batting, along with - surely - Josh Bohannan.

For bowling Jamie Overton when fit is worth a try, as is Brydon Carse.

To keep wicket, if Ben Foakes continues to be stupidly overlooked, Sam Billings or Ollie Robinson.

Any other thoughts?
  • Options
    A Cornish friend of mine who hasn’t been to London in many years just spent a week here

His verdict

“London is amazing. The architecture is stunted. But it’s like an incredible museum. It is infinitely interesting. I can see why you never moved away”

Fair
  • Options
    Leon said:

Blackpool has the Sea and Pleasure Beach and probably less chance of being stabbed in all the above 3 too.

Tottenham is convenient for Spurs fans
  • Options
    Leon said:

A Cornish friend of mine who hasn’t been to London in many years just spent a week here

His verdict

“London is amazing. The architecture is stunted. But it’s like an incredible museum. It is infinitely interesting. I can see why you never moved away”

Fair

You hardly spend any time there!
  • Options

Leon said:

At 5.30 - am or pm - Camden is always filthy. It gets 200,000* visitors a day - for the markets - and they all treat it like Glastonbury festival

Somehow it gets cleaned up interim. I’m actually amazed the council kinda keep a lid on it

*I plucked this figure out of my Cornish arse but it is a lot. On some metrics Camden is one of the biggest visitor attractions in Europe
  • Options
    Good heavens.

England have made it to three figures.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

His verdict

Fair

You hardly spend any time there!
    I spend more time here than anywhere else!
  • Options
    This has to be the most embarrassing performance by a side from these shores against a side from South Africa since tonight's rugby semi final the Battle of Isandlwana.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

So, here is a question.

This World Cup is the end, surely, for pretty much every member of the squad except Brook and possibly Curran. The others are knocking on and are clearly in many cases past it. Buttler's captaincy is also surely at an end.

So, who replaces them?

Crawley is clearly being groomed for captaincy, nothing at all to do with his being a protege of Key. Sam Hain would probably be a better pick but isn't really in line due to being out of the squad.

For spin, Rehan Ahmed would possibly be an option, as would Jacks, and Bess might come back into the equation.

If we want allrounders with pacy bowling, Ed Barnard is one option. If we want a batsman who bowls, time to give Ryan Higgins a try. Tom Price could also be an option.

Tom Lammonby and Alex Lees might be worth a look for the batting, along with - surely - Josh Bohannan.

For bowling Jamie Overton when fit is worth a try, as is Brydon Carse.

To keep wicket, if Ben Foakes continues to be stupidly overlooked, Sam Billings or Ollie Robinson.

Any other thoughts?

Well, I'm actually free for a bit.
  • Options

One important difference, though.

Mid nineties Conservatives kind of knew, deep down, that the game was up. There was nothing to be gained by throwing up chaff, the best thing was to govern as well as they could, hand over a decent legacy and hope for a win of sorts in the history books. Which they did and they kind of got.

The current generation are in just as bad a pickle (I think we can unambiguously say that after the last week), but seem to be going down the "tickle our voters while we can and make life difficult for our successors by salting the land" path.

It makes sense in a partisan way. But it isn't patriotic. Maybe that's where the Conservatives are right now.
  • Options
    OK, I shouldn't have said that about three figures.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Blackpool has the Sea and Pleasure Beach and probably less chance of being stabbed in all the above 3 too.

Google 'Blackpool Murder' and you usually come up with something recent:

https://www.lancashire.police.uk/news/2023/october/man-charged-with-murder-of-daniel-allsop-in-blackpool/
  • Options
    Leon said:

His verdict

Fair

Its a brilliant place to visit! As long as you can go home again afterwards...
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,713
    Have we noted that Frankie Dettori is having his last race in UK
    today at 3.45
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

https://www.lancashire.police.uk/news/2023/october/man-charged-with-murder-of-daniel-allsop-in-blackpool/
    And if you do that for 'Wick' it's almost all Hackney Wick murders anyway.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,730

Foxy said:

Super sporting Saturday.

England v. South Africa in the cricket world cup at 9.30am

Merseyside derby at 12.30pm

Chelsea v Arsenal at 5.30pm

England v South Africa in the rugby world cup semi final at 8pm.

F1 Sprint Race at 11pm.

So that's 4 events I am heavily obsessed with and I might very grumpy if they all lose.

Wot no Strictly?

I've kinda fallen out of love with Strictly, this year has a lot of z list people on it.
    They got a massive A lister in Les Dennis and then sent him home in week 2.

My wife stopped watching when he went. Unless they can get Barry from Eastenders, they’d never top Les.
  • Options

Leon said:

His verdict

Fair

It’s a brilliant place to live! As long as you don’t have to commute to an office and you can bug out in the winter
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    As much as they might want to, it just isn't possible for our leading left wing commentators to blame antisemitism on the Tories. Therefore they remain silent.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,223
    Leon said:

Leon said:

At 5.30 - am or pm - Camden is always filthy. It gets 200,000* visitors a day - for the markets - and they all treat it like Glastonbury festival

Somehow it gets cleaned up interim. I’m actually amazed the council kinda keep a lid on it

*I plucked this figure out of my Cornish arse but it is a lot. On some metrics Camden is one of the biggest visitor attractions in Europe
    Yes to be fair they were busy cleaning it up at the time. You're right, it looked like the aftermath of a festival. We can only dream about this level of filthiness south of the river - although Telegraph Hill top park had its moments during lockdown.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

His verdict

Fair

It’s a brilliant place to live! As long as you don’t have to commute to an office and you can bug out in the winter
    It's great.

So long as you don't live there and are just visiting.
    Or do live there, but don't work there and can travel elsewhere.
    And so long as you don't have to pay rent from a typical wage.

But other than that, it's great.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

His verdict

Fair

And you have plenty of money.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Google 'Tottenham Stabbings' and you come up with 3 just in the last few weeks

https://www.mylondon.news/news/north-london-news/live-tottenham-stabbing-updates-teenager-27702841

https://www.mylondon.news/news/north-london-news/tottenham-police-incident-live-updates-27646442

https://www.thetottenhamindependent.co.uk/news/23753342.two-men-injured-west-green-road-tottenham-stabbing/
  • Options
    Leon said:

Yes sort of. London is great if you are still in play or want to be. That new person, new job, new shop ... all of that. I still pinch myself most mornings. Plus, icing on cake, I have free travel across every inch of it with my seniors oystercard.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    I think Wood and Atkinson putting on those runs makes it worse.

It shows what could have been if the top order had batted more sensibly.

Edit - and that's that.
  • Options

This has to be the most embarrassing performance by a side from these shores against a side from South Africa since tonight's rugby semi final the Battle of Isandlwana.

The Zulu Kingdom was independent in 1879, it didn't become part of even the colony of Natal let alone the Union of South Africa until later
  • Options
    Sir Bobby Charlton dies aged 86
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Google 'Tottenham Stabbings' and you come up with 3 just in the last few weeks

https://www.mylondon.news/news/north-london-news/live-tottenham-stabbing-updates-teenager-27702841

https://www.mylondon.news/news/north-london-news/tottenham-police-incident-live-updates-27646442

https://www.thetottenhamindependent.co.uk/news/23753342.two-men-injured-west-green-road-tottenham-stabbing/
    It’s a city of 9 million people. Things happen

It is a lot safer than any comparable city in north or South America, or Africa or much of Asia

It is about the same as Paris (the only comparable city in Europe)

It is much less safe than cities in east Asia like Tokyo, Hong Kong or Singapore - but they are safer than anywhere on earth
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,248
    Cricket world cup over for us now but we knew that after losing against Afghanistan.
  • Options
    That final partnership between Wood and Atkinson was a bit of fun at least.

To be honest we deserved to go out of the tournament based on losing to Afghanistan, so this humiliation is just icing on the cake.
  • Options
    Liz Truss rumoured to be going into the Australian jungle for I'm a Celeb, following Matt Hancock's footsteps last year
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-12656307/Im-Celebrity-2023-line-rumoured.html
  • Options

RIP, only Sir Geoff Hurst left from that squad now
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

today at 3.45

And won. Good outside Spoty bet?

Ps: bet he changes his mind on retiring.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

I think Wood and Atkinson putting on those runs makes it worse.

It shows what could have been if the top order had batted more sensibly.

Edit - and that's that.

Wood tragically left 157 short of his maiden double century.
    For all that work with de Kock, they still couldn’t get Wood.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,927

As much as they might want to, it just isn't possible for our leading left wing commentators to blame antisemitism on the Tories. Therefore they remain silent.

I'm sorry - I just don't understand that comment at all.
  • Options

To be honest we deserved to go out of the tournament based on losing to Afghanistan, so this humiliation is just icing on the cake.

So what's going on here? Bazball in the tests, win the T20 world cup, but then get hammered in the 50-over game. Something doesn't add up.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,927
    kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

today at 3.45

He already has - he'll continue riding in southern California which is probably better suited to his health and the way he wants to live in the future.

He'd like a decent crack at winning the Kentucky Derby - as for returning to ride at Royal Ascot next June, I could imagine IF his old friend Wesley Ward had three or four decent juveniles, Dettori would come over and ride them and likely pick up some other rides so we've probably not seen the last of him.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

So what's going on here? Bazball in the tests, win the T20 world cup, but then get hammered in the 50-over game. Something doesn't add up.
    Bored? Apathetic? They won it last time. Maybe they can’t be arsed this time

You see this a fair amount in sports. Major cup winners putting in a dismal performance in the subsequent tournament

Unfortunately this doesn’t seem to apply to the springboks
  • Options
    Interesting to see that Israel are suggesting that after the conflict with Hamas is over they might cut all ties with Gaza.

That's a good idea I think. Israel withdrew from the territory in 2005 but its still been considered internationally "occupied" territory with Israel responsible for providing water, electricity etc without much gratitude for that.

Just cut all ties completely, say that Egypt or someone else can be responsible for Gaza if they like but that you won't be anymore.

Gaza was part of Egypt before it was taken by Israel, it going back to being Egypt's responsibility may be the only way out of the cycle of violence. Not that Egypt would be happy to take it back, as the Palestinians have been so atrociously behaved as a group that nobody wants them unfortunately.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RIP, only Sir Geoff Hurst left from that squad now
    Yep. That will be a moment when he goes. The famous closing commentary line will resonate again for poignant reasons.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,338

Interesting to see that Israel are suggesting that after the conflict with Hamas is over they might cut all ties with Gaza.

That's a good idea I think. Israel withdrew from the territory in 2005 but its still been considered internationally "occupied" territory with Israel responsible for providing water, electricity etc without much gratitude for that.

Just cut all ties completely, say that Egypt or someone else can be responsible for Gaza if they like but that you won't be anymore.

Gaza was part of Egypt before it was taken by Israel, it going back to being Egypt's responsibility may be the only way out of the cycle of violence. Not that Egypt would be happy to take it back, as the Palestinians have been so atrociously behaved as a group that nobody wants them unfortunately.

Please give the hate speech a rest.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135
    kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

today at 3.45

He has, hasn’t he? Just not racing in UK any more.
  • Options
    Saturday culture: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/oct/21/a-neolithic-feat-of-engineering-orkney-dig-reveals-ruins-of-huge-tomb

Orkney neolithic tomb found with burials undisturbed under farmland (the upper part having been removed in the C18/19).
  • Options

Israeli settlers not much better behaved in the West Bank
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-67173344

Israel also plan to ultimately hand Gaza over to the Palestinian Authority not Egypt
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/10/20/israel-hand-gaza-control-palestinian-authority-post-hamas/
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    stodge said:

I'm sorry - I just don't understand that comment at all.
    Twitter is full of left wing commentators e.g James O'Brien, who are only interested in bad things if they can blame them on the Tories. If they can't it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,543

Many years ago Bobby Charlton had spotted something truly exceptional in the Academy. Turned out to be Ryan Giggs.

He told SAF who came over to see Giggs running around people for fun.

"Is that him?" asked SAF

"Yes" said SBC.

"Bloody hell" said SAF.
  • Options
    RIP Bobby Charlton
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135
    Leon said:

Bored? Apathetic? They won it last time. Maybe they can’t be arsed this time

You see this a fair amount in sports. Major cup winners putting in a dismal performance in the subsequent tournament

Unfortunately this doesn’t seem to apply to the springboks
    I watched the Saffer innings. Our bowlers seemed totally exhausted by the end and just about every shirt shown reasonably closely on the TV seemed absolutely drenched in sweat. Meanwhile the Saffer bowlers were in the cool of the dressing room.
    One has to wonder if we’d batted first the scores would have been reversed.
    When it’s hot in Mumbai it’s HOT.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,189
    edited October 2023
    delete - quatsch
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    So, there's a union jack on the front of my new Labour membership card (not keen) but it's great quality compared to the flimsy old one and look at this which is on the back:

'The Labour Party is a democratic socialist party. It believes that by the strength of our common endeavour we achieve more than we achieve alone. We seek to create a community in which power wealth and opportunity are in the hands of the many, not the few, where the rights we enjoy reflect the duties we owe, and where we live together freely in a spirit of solidarity tolerance and respect.'

Very happy with that.
  • Options
    Looking at the video on facebook, I hope that Alex Salmond has got sandbags...
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,804
    HYUFD said:

Liz Truss rumoured to be going into the Australian jungle for I'm a Celeb, following Matt Hancock's footsteps last year
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-12656307/Im-Celebrity-2023-line-rumoured.html

Cue an exodus of snakes, crocodiles and other dangers to humanity…
  • Options
    stodge said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

today at 3.45

He already has - he'll continue riding in southern California which is probably better suited to his health and the way he wants to live in the future.

He'd like a decent crack at winning the Kentucky Derby - as for returning to ride at Royal Ascot next June, I could imagine IF his old friend Wesley Ward had three or four decent juveniles, Dettori would come over and ride them and likely pick up some other rides so we've probably not seen the last of him.
    Yes I know. But I reckon he might end up riding back here properly.

Kind of hope not because it was a fairytale finish.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,163
    edited October 2023

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/oct/21/hydrogen-boiler-home-heating-uk

'The National Infrastructure Commission advised this week, after an exhaustive investigation of the technology, that hydrogen was not suitable for heating homes. The report was unambiguous: “The Commission’s analysis demonstrates that there is no public policy case for hydrogen to be used to heat individual buildings. It should be ruled out as an option to enable an exclusive focus on switching to electrified heat.”

However, the government indicated to the Guardian that it would continue to push hydrogen for home heating, and the body that represents most of the heating industry also vowed to continue to pursue it.'

Given how long it took us to find a reliable worker to mend a persistent gas leak in our house discovered after we bought it, no thanks, no hydrogen for me!

Handing hydrogen has well defined safety practises and methods. I can’t see how you could put hydrogen through home gas pipes and meet through standards.

To start with Hydrogen embrittles materials by permeating *through* apparently solid material. It can also leak through joints that are 100% gas and water tight.

Hydrogen is completely safe as long as you remember how dangerous it is.
    Quite. There was that discussion of science denial in politics a few weeks back on PB. This hydrogen stuff is the sort of thing that makes the Tory Party look like those American legislators who defined pi as 3.000 exactly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Pi_Bill
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/republicans-introduce-leg_b_837828

Either that, or they know it's a disaster but think they will be able to dump the blame on Labour - who will have to cancel this.
    This one is almost certainly about institutional policy.

Hydrogen was supposed to the future. Hydrogen powered cars, planes, everything.

The official world liked it because, unlike electricity, it is easier to control and tax as a product. The big oil companies planned to switch to making hydrogen.

The press was squared, the middle class quite prepared. This was the Proper Policy before 1997

You see similar things with respect to wind (in) solar (in) nuclear (in) tidal (out)

The problem is the Proper Policy doesn’t work. Making hydrogen from electricity to store power is wildly inefficient. Storing and using hydrogen is very problematic.
    Storing and using hydrogen in properly set up industrial purposes can work. With intensive safety procedures.

Doing it in domestic situations is just Never Going To Happen.

Anyone proposing it for domestic hearing is either disingenuous or stupid. Or both.
    I'd rather have a hydrogen boiler than a bloody air source heat pump.

Never mind the government, the industry is gearing up for hydrogen.

Blue, green, pink. The lot.
    It's a complete boondoggle.

The only reason the gas industry are pushing it is that it keeps their industry from disappearing. Which it largely should for domestic heating.
This discussion has been closed.