Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Time to back Maria Miller as next out of the cabinet?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530

In other news, good to have a conservationist with hands on experience.

dominic dyer ‏@domdyer70 2 hrs
    Clarence House been working overtime to stop this image going social media to tabloids they failed Royal Hypocrisy ! http://pic.twitter.com/ym5mDLmK4z

Really? Not exactly a shock, is it? I'm only surprised the tabloids haven't run it yet but no doubt the Palace will be dangling an 'exclusive interview' with Kate or someone to try and stop them. Which only works for as long as the tabloids don't realise they are all being offered the same thing.
  • Options

@Mick_Pork - Why would I be offended by Catalan independence? I am certainly offended by Catalan nationalists who are intolerant of other opinions and question the patriotism/politics of those who express them

As I thought. Thanks for clarifying it for all to see so very amusingly. :)

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915

Mr. G, surely Scots have a right to know what they're voting on?

MD you go straight to the heart of the matter. A great many Scots are frustrated by and deeply concerned at the posturing by both sides and the hyperbole spoken by leading figures on both sides. We really could do with an IndyRef equivalent of the Office for Budget Responsibility which could take the claims and counterclaims of both sides and give a genuinely independent analysis and view on them.

I personally think we now have individuals on both sides who believe winning at any price is essential.

Come 19th September I expect Scots to go to bed in the knowledge that within a couple of years we will be an independent country outside the EU, outside NATO, having to adopt a new currency and it will be too late to change our minds.

I believe there are economists and statisticians working within the Treasury on models which are calculating the cost to RUK of Scotland walking away with RUK keeping the National Debt in exchange for ditching all responsibility for Scotland. I well remember 20 or so years ago Northern Irish businesses were able to take advantage of the "basket case" state of the Irish economy with Irish citizens driving up to Belfast etc on shopping expeditions because everything was so much less expensive than in Dublin.

The IndyRef is almost always a topic of conversation now at any social gathering I attend. Opinions are hardening up and yes the Osborne speech has made some people jump into the Yes camp.

By the time Eck and chums realise George Osborne wasn't bluffing last week in his Edinburgh speech, it will be business owners like me who will have to pick up the pieces and find a way forward for Scotland. Eck and chums can retire on their public sector funded gold plated pensions.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    john_zims said:

@malcolmg

'You people really are stupid, there are many options open re currency and Salmond is certainly not going to enlighten thick Westminster politicians to which order he has as his selection.'

Fast running out of options,Euro wanted & then rejected by Salmond, Sterling (millstone around our neck) currency union now rejected by all Westminster parties,what's it going to be Sterling outside a currency union or the Groat?

I read a post apocalypse scifi novel the other day where the currency was bottles of brandy. I'd suggest Salmond looks at introducing the Buckie.

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited February 2014
    Ishmael_X said:

john_zims said:

@malcolmg

'You people really are stupid, there are many options open re currency and Salmond is certainly not going to enlighten thick Westminster politicians to which order he has as his selection.'

Fast running out of options,Euro wanted & then rejected by Salmond, Sterling (millstone around our neck) currency union now rejected by all Westminster parties,what's it going to be Sterling outside a currency union or the Groat?

I read a post apocalypse scifi novel the other day where the currency was bottles of brandy. I'd suggest Salmond looks at introducing the Buckie.

Buckie is an English concoction.

I fear Alex might be on the same shaky ground as far as sharing that 'currency' is concerned.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

Ishmael_X said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

Here's a question, and quite a crucial one.

Does Salmond actually believe what he is saying? It is clear to anyone neutral that there will not be a sterling currency union as he envisages, post a YES vote. The economic case is made plain, here:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/891e4db2-88fe-11e3-bb5f-00144feab7de.html#axzz2tbSrLnBI

Moreover, polls show that rUK voters want nothing to do with a currency union. So it really is NOT going to happen - or not in any form that would be acceptable to a newly independent Scotland.

Salmond is not an idiot, indeed he is an economist, so he must realise this. That leaves us with two options: he is a bare faced liar, or he is genuinely and bizarrely deluded (or maybe he is an idiot after all).

It's on that question that the referendum will turn.

Osbrowne, panda, ROFL.

It would be great to get an actual SNP supporter's actual response to the question you ask, but it isn't going to happen on here.

Andrew Neil didn't have much luck with getting the deputy leader to answer any either

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26175401
    'Nicola Sturgeon told Andrew Neil that she wanted Scotland "to pay its fair share of debt", but added that it could not default on debt "that is not legally Scotland's".'

That was an extraordinary statement to make.
    Funny, unionists are always shocked when confronted with the truth.
    Well, yes, Mr Osborne did say so recently - that the debt is 100% to be assigned to the UK, whatever happens with indy. Plus he evidently takes the view that EWNI would be the continuing state following on from the UK. So it is an entirelhy ordinary and accurate statement to make.

riven with vitriol and hatred for Scotland and SNP.
    The difference, Malcolm dear, is that we do not believe that love of Scotland is synonymous with love of the SNP - it is quite possible to love one and not the other.

I do not have any connection to or affection for the SNP. Difference is I do not 100% denigrate Scotland like you. I just have hope we can make it a better country for everyone , whilst you want it destroyed and bankrupt.
    When have I "denigrated Scotland"? The bluff and bluster of the SNP frequently, but you are too consumed by your Salmond worship to tell the difference.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Good to see the same gullible comedians who seemed to think Cammie's Cast Iron IN/OUT Referendum and Veto flounce would win him the election are wading in with their always accurate predictions.

Shame for Cammie all tory Eurosceptics aren't as gullible as they still appear to be.
    Reports on the UK in EU 'are a whitewash', say Eurosceptics

A SERIES of “whitewash” reports claiming that being in the EU is good for the UK was “sneaked out” by the Government, it was alleged yesterday.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/459702/Reports-on-the-UK-in-EU-are-a-whitewash-say-Eurosceptics
    :)

• Options
    Sean T I listened to a Radio Scotland phone in programme last week on the Osborne "threat". All but 2 callers thought he was at best bluffing and at worst trying to blackmail or bully Scots into voting No. In short a great many Scots believe Salmond and think the London parties are lying.

What I find worrying is the increasing number of SME business owners who believe Salmond and do think the London parties will sing a different tune once a Yes vote happens.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

MD you go straight to the heart of the matter. A great many Scots are frustrated by and deeply concerned at the posturing by both sides and the hyperbole spoken by leading figures on both sides. We really could do with an IndyRef equivalent of the Office for Budget Responsibility which could take the claims and counterclaims of both sides and give a genuinely independent analysis and view on them.

I personally think we now have individuals on both sides who believe winning at any price is essential.

Come 19th September I expect Scots to go to bed in the knowledge that within a couple of years we will be an independent country outside the EU, outside NATO, having to adopt a new currency and it will be too late to change our minds.

I believe there are economists and statisticians working within the Treasury on models which are calculating the cost to RUK of Scotland walking away with RUK keeping the National Debt in exchange for ditching all responsibility for Scotland. I well remember 20 or so years ago Northern Irish businesses were able to take advantage of the "basket case" state of the Irish economy with Irish citizens driving up to Belfast etc on shopping expeditions because everything was so much less expensive than in Dublin.

The IndyRef is almost always a topic of conversation now at any social gathering I attend. Opinions are hardening up and yes the Osborne speech has made some people jump into the Yes camp.

By the time Eck and chums realise George Osborne wasn't bluffing last week in his Edinburgh speech, it will be business owners like me who will have to pick up the pieces and find a way forward for Scotland. Eck and chums can retire on their public sector funded gold plated pensions.
    Fortunately my fellow armiger your nightmare scenario will not happen ....

I'm bound not to reveal the latest contents of my McARSE until 9:00am tomorrow but in the famous words of OGH the results "will be interesting !!"

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    edited February 2014
    Nice to see Denmark has put humaneness ahead of special treatment for the religious:

http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2014/02/denmark-bans-religious-slaughter

Shame the current cowards in HMG continue to cower from the religious zealots.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,889
    SeanT said:

You ignore Shy Unionist Syndrome. How many Scots are gonna openly declare "that posh English git Osborne is completely right, we don't even have a half a plan for a currency, Salmond's version of independence would be a shambles, I'm now voting No."

I know a lot of Scots, my daughter is quarter Scottish, blah de blah; Scots are a patriotic and resourceful people - and few of them would be mad or rude enough to praise Geo Osborne in public and then denounce the concept of Scottish independence.

But how many Scots are now thinking "Jeez this currency thing is a mess" - in private?

Quite a lot, I imagine. But you won't see or hear much anecdotal evidence of them; they will only emerge in polls, they might only emerge on referendum day itself.
    Oh yes, that is a good point, but you have to remember that it works both ways. There are plenty of social and professional circumstances where it pays to be a shy pro-indy supporter.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Mr. G, I find it hard to believe Scotland is in a terrible state compared to the rest of the UK.

Furthermore, food banks are an unfair point because they've increased significantly every single year since they first emerged (mid-2000s, I think). Capacity has yet to reach demand, and their use rose even during the boom, so they cannot legitimately be used to score political points.

MD , there are areas in North of England and possibly Wales that are similar , but my interest is Scotland. WE get a bum deal as part of the union and my personal hope is that it ends soon.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

How many commonwealth countries have been knocking on Westminster door
    In the past half century how many begged to us the same currency on "independence"?

Well I think you will find that initially many used the same currency.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

MD, people know what they are voting on , it is very simple, Do we want to be an Independent Country. Every other nation in the world manages just fine, what makes Scotland so unusual that you think we cannot survive on our own using whatever currency we want. How many commonwealth countries have been knocking on Westminster door begging to come back. They were all robbed blind and managed to escape, hopefully we will do the same.
    Would you be prepared to give the Shetlanders a right to self determination?

How many times do I have to answer this question for you. Of course if that is what they wanted, then they could have a vote and get on with it. It si not going to happen though as nobody is interested in it.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/jun/30/shetland-independence-vote-scotland
    Again you keep quoting that toilet roll, seek help.
  • Options
    A Unionist's (Eric Joyce) view on EU & UK/rUK citzenship.

'So, Barroso’s basically saying that millions of EU citizens living in Scotland would somehow be stripped of their EU (and therefore human) rights and not allowed appeal? Or that they’d stay EU citizens – a nation full of EU citizens – but that would have no bearing on that nation’s application to the EU?
    Manifest nonsense. I want Scotland to remain part of the UK, but not on the basis of an argument deploying blatant threats and lies. Surely to God.'

http://tinyurl.com/py3j8h3

http://tinyurl.com/pg45kjj

• Options

Sean T I listened to a Radio Scotland phone in programme last week on the Osborne "threat". All but 2 callers thought he was at best bluffing and at worst trying to blackmail or bully Scots into voting No. In short a great many Scots believe Salmond and think the London parties are lying.

What I find worrying is the increasing number of SME business owners who believe Salmond and do think the London parties will sing a different tune once a Yes vote happens.

Easterross, these guys read the Telegraph , Daily Mail , etc and think it is reality. They have no idea.
  • Options
    Gerry Hassan ‏@GerryHassan 8h

5 yrs after MP expenses scandal MPs are still at it. #MariaMiller Culture Sec caught out. #weareallinthistogether http://goo.gl/Wiv9xa
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

@Mick_Pork - Why would I be offended by Catalan independence? I am certainly offended by Catalan nationalists who are intolerant of other opinions and question the patriotism/politics of those who express them

As I thought. Thanks for clarifying it for all to see so very amusingly. :)

yes, whatever ...

Yaaaaawwwwwnnnnnnn.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

john_zims said:

@malcolmg

Dear Dear, there speaks a Little Englander.
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

john_zims said:

@malcolmg

Buckie is an English concoction.

I fear Alex might be on the same shaky ground as far as sharing that 'currency' is concerned.

I assumed the 'Buckie' would be a new currency named after the small fishing village on the southern shore of the Moray Firth which proudly claims it gave the green and white hoops football strip to a certain Glasgow football team.

If Scotland does become independent, one consequence is that the refreshment of choice in large parts of the Eastern side of the metropolis which is Glasgow would become too expensive and the White lightning cider might take its place.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Well, yes, Mr Osborne did say so recently - that the debt is 100% to be assigned to the UK, whatever happens with indy. Plus he evidently takes the view that EWNI would be the continuing state following on from the UK. So it is an entirelhy ordinary and accurate statement to make.

Of-course, wee-child the corollary is omited. England's tax-payers will not under-write Scotland's public-sector pensions. Not doubt the unckie-malcs will be slinking in to the "hated-engerlundt" for a basic-pension top-up, cancer-treatment and - sadly - protection from "Wee-Fr'Eck's" staat-polizei....

[Cue bolleaux from Bermondsey 'black-belt' [Galway Greens; Use bins, not postal-votes!]....]
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

yes, whatever ...

Yaaaaawwwwwnnnnnnn.

PB Yawner

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Socrates

'Nice to see Denmark has put humaneness ahead of special treatment for the religious:

http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2014/02/denmark-bans-religious-slaughter

Strange Nick Palmer hasn't been campaigning against this form of animal cruelty.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Ishmael_X said:

john_zims said:

@malcolmg

Dear Dear, there speaks a Little Englander.
    And Osborne is announcing a 100% export tariff on the stuff on 17 September. That should sort things.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

How many commonwealth countries have been knocking on Westminster door
    In the past half century how many begged to us the same currency on "independence"?

Well I think you will find that initially many used the same currency.
    Actually, no. Most had separate currencies already - like Hong Kong...

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,889
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

MD, people know what they are voting on , it is very simple, Do we want to be an Independent Country. Every other nation in the world manages just fine, what makes Scotland so unusual that you think we cannot survive on our own using whatever currency we want. How many commonwealth countries have been knocking on Westminster door begging to come back. They were all robbed blind and managed to escape, hopefully we will do the same.
    Would you be prepared to give the Shetlanders a right to self determination?

How many times do I have to answer this question for you. Of course if that is what they wanted, then they could have a vote and get on with it. It si not going to happen though as nobody is interested in it.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/jun/30/shetland-independence-vote-scotland
    Again you keep quoting that toilet roll, seek help.
    There was a more recent Press and Journal poll giving an 82% figure for remaining with Scotland

http://www.newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-politics/7203-northern-isles-are-scottish-say-islanders

http://wingsoverscotland.com/a-new-flag-for-scotland/ (acerbic comment on the very odd graphics used)

but it was part of a wider survey with a small overall sample and the O&S sample was so small (a few dozen probably) that it may not be worth discussing one way or another. I am certainly having difficulty making sens eof it (Had a look at the original article) but have to go - the stovies will burn ...

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

'So, Barroso’s basically saying that millions of EU citizens living in Scotland would somehow be stripped of their EU (and therefore human) rights and not allowed appeal? Or that they’d stay EU citizens – a nation full of EU citizens – but that would have no bearing on that nation’s application to the EU?
    Manifest nonsense. I want Scotland to remain part of the UK, but not on the basis of an argument deploying blatant threats and lies. Surely to God.'

? If they choose to secede from an EU member state, they cease to be citizens of an EU member state.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

I'm happy to admit I don't know much about Scottish politics so I'll stick to British politics. If any part of the union wants to break away, it's their call. - whatever they choose. But ... to expect to break away and then call the currency shots to the rest of the UK (and the much larger part) seems a little presumptious of Eck.

I suspect than in the event of a Yes vote, the poor wee remnants of the UK will tell the Government (of whatever hue) to play hardball in that situation.

Eck's a good politician. I suspect he'll soften his tone, or else claim he never really wanted a currency union anyway. But then, I know nothing of Scottish politics
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Eurozone countries should form United States of Europe, says EC vice-president

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/17/eurozone-countries-united-states-europe-viviane-reding

If Viviane Reding did not exist UKIP would have to invent her.....
    With ~70% of our laws already made in Brussels, it's no longer such a big step.

"The most powerful parliament in Europe is the European Parliament. Seventy per cent of laws in this country are co-decided there"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/10629258/European-Union-migrants-work-harder-than-Britons-says-Viviane-Reding.html

She _is_ a pippin though. :-)
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

In other news, good to have a conservationist with hands on experience.

dominic dyer ‏@domdyer70 2 hrs
    Clarence House been working overtime to stop this image going social media to tabloids they failed Royal Hypocrisy ! http://pic.twitter.com/ym5mDLmK4z

H is a twit !
  • Options
    SeanT said:
    You're quite kind to them really, given their poor political judgements in the past and their lousy present politics. At least Jobbik seem to be on the wane.

I expect that the socialist Andor úr will be replaced by a rather more rightwing nominee by the next Hungarian government. The socialists are currently heading for a second crushing defeat in a row in the April general election.
  • Options

" stripped of their EU (and therefore human) rights ".
    I think Joyce has been hit by the whisky truck.

• Options

? If they choose to secede from an EU member state, they cease to be citizens of an EU member state.

He relies on Art. 15 UDHR:

"Article 15.

(1) Everyone has the right to a nationality.
    (2) No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his nationality nor denied the right to change his nationality."

If his argument about Barosso is right, it follows a fortiori (because it's much clearer that Scots now have UK citizenship than that they have EU citizenship) then Scottish independence is itself unlawful.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited February 2014
    Good News comes in small doses too

A big week coming up for key metrics on the economy, with inflation indices tomorrow, employment figures on Wednesday, retail sales on Friday and public sector finances on Monday of next week.

But as we all wait and wonder whether the news will be good or bad, it might be worth looking at a few regular published monthly figures which receive less attention from press and public.

Today appears to be Scotland day on PB. So too was it at Markit when the Bank of Scotland PMI on Jobs was released. The overall PMI at 62.6 was a shade off December's 63.6 but still a long way above the 50 dividing line between growth and decline. It was also far above its long-run average snd continues its recent trend (10 of the last 12 months) of outperforming the UK Index.
    BoS/Markit Jobs PMI  
    =====================
    Scot UK
    ---------------------
    Dec 2012 56.0 53.4
    Jan 2013 53.9 53.3
    Feb 2013 51.2 53.1
    Mar 2013 53.0 52.4
    Apr 2013 54.0 52.3
    May 2013 54.7 52.6
    Jun 2013 58.5 55.4
    Jul 2013 60.3 58.6
    Aug 2013 59.7 59.0
    Sep 2013 60.0 59.3
    Oct 2013 60.9 60.1
    Nov 2013 63.2 60.9
    Dec 2013 63.6 62.7
    Jan 2014 62.6 62.1
    Key findings were that vacancies rose across all sectors at the same time that the number of available candidates fell, leading to salaries for new permanent appointments growing strongly. Growth in permanent appointments was at the highest level since 2006 and at the second highest recorded in the survey's 11 year history.

Regionally, Edinburgn led the way in permanent and temporary placements; Aberdeen showed a sharp decline in temporary candidates; and Glasgow registered the highest growth in income levels.

If you want to know who is recruiting here is the yellow box:
    Permanent Staff               Temporary/Contract Staff    
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    1 Accounts & Financial 1 Nursing/Medical/Care
    2 Nursing/Medical/Care 2 IT & Computing
    3 IT & Computing 3 Hotel & Catering
    4 Engineering & Construction 4 Engineering & Construction
    5 Hotel & Catering 5 Executive & Professional
    6 Executive & Professional 6 Accounts & Financial
    7 Secretarial & Clerical 7 Secretarial & Clerical
    8 Blue Collar 8 Blue Collar
    With the jobs market performing so well in Scotland it is no wonder that George Osborne's word is so highly respected throughout the country.

Onwards and Upwards George.

It is clear to all but Pork that we are all better together.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

A big week coming up for key metrics on the economy, with inflation indices tomorrow, employment figures on Wednesday, retail sales on Friday and public sector finances on Monday of next week.

But as we all wait and wonder whether the news will be good or bad, it might be worth looking at a few regular published monthly figures which receive less attention from press and public.

Today appears to be Scotland day on PB. So too was it at Markit when the Bank of Scotland PMI on Jobs was released. The overall PMI at 62.6 was a shade off December's 63.6 but still a long way above the 50 dividing line between growth and decline. It was also far above its long-run average snd continues its recent trend (10 of the last 12 months) of outperforming the UK Index.

BoS/Markit Jobs PMI  
    =====================
    Scot UK
    ---------------------
    Dec 2012 56.0 53.4
    Jan 2013 53.9 53.3
    Feb 2013 51.2 53.1
    Mar 2013 53.0 52.4
    Apr 2013 54.0 52.3
    May 2013 54.7 52.6
    Jun 2013 58.5 55.4
    Jul 2013 60.3 58.6
    Aug 2013 59.7 59.0
    Sep 2013 60.0 59.3
    Oct 2013 60.9 60.1
    Nov 2013 63.2 60.9
    Dec 2013 63.6 62.7
    Jan 2014 62.6 62.1
    Key findings were that vacancies rose across all sectors at the same time as the number of available candidates fell leading with salaries for new permanent appointments growing strongly. Growth in permanent appointments was at the highest level since 2006 and the second highest in the survey's 11 year history.

Regionally, Edinburgn led the way in permanent and temporary placements; Aberdeen showed a sharp decline in temporary candidates; and Glasgow registered the highest growth in income levels.

With the jobs market performing so well in Scotland it is no wonder that George Osborne's word is so highly respected throughout the country. Onwards and Upwards George. It is clear to all but Pork that we are all better together.
    This poster is clearly a spoof.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

You ignore Shy Unionist Syndrome. How many Scots are gonna openly declare "that posh English git Osborne is completely right, we don't even have a half a plan for a currency, Salmond's version of independence would be a shambles, I'm now voting No."

I know a lot of Scots, my daughter is quarter Scottish, blah de blah; Scots are a patriotic and resourceful people - and few of them would be mad or rude enough to praise Geo Osborne in public and then denounce the concept of Scottish independence.

But how many Scots are now thinking "Jeez this currency thing is a mess" - in private?

Quite a lot, I imagine. But you won't see or hear much anecdotal evidence of them; they will only emerge in polls, they might only emerge on referendum day itself.
    Tim, have you got any evidence that there is a Shy Unionist Syndrome or are you just making it up?
  • Options

Fellow BPers, I know the Independence Referendum is provoking strong feelings on both sides but please explain how describing another PBer as a cretin or by any other equally rude 'tag' advances the argument in any way. Surely we are all above the name calling!

Good post.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26231648

Ed wants to ban people from advertising their home for sale abroad.....
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited February 2014
    TGOHF said:

Isn't his brother a foreign resident with an empty multi-million pound London home ?

• Options
    TGOHF said:

I'm not sure how that's going to work in the internet age.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

What's his policy on british taxpayers paying for UK jobs to be advertised in other EU member states?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/10205511/UK-jobs-being-advertised-across-the-EU-at-taxpayers-expense-it-emerges.html
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Fellow BPers, I know the Independence Referendum is provoking strong feelings on both sides but please explain how describing another PBer as a cretin or by any other equally rude 'tag' advances the argument in any way. Surely we are all above the name calling!

Good post.
    Some posters seem to think mocking others posts (by saying how much they are "laughing" at it) and throwing insults at anyone that disagrees with them is the best form of debate. Thankfully, several of these have left the site, but there is one that stands out who still does this in virtually every post.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    antifrank said:

TGOHF said:

I'm not sure how that's going to work in the internet age.
    Is he trying to be more protectionist than Ukip ?
  • Options

Good post.
    He says, immediately after a post in which he called SeanT tim. As some might say, unspoofable ;-)

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2014
    TGOHF said:

I thought you must be joking.

A future Labour government would ban developers of London housing from marketing new properties overseas until local people have had a chance to buy or rent, Ed Miliband has vowed.

Heaven protect us.

Is there seriously any sentient being who would vote for this guy? He seems to be completely mad, or (to look on the optimistic side), just spouting nonsense at random. Either way, the prospect of him being PM in fifteen months is terrifying.
  • Options
    These people looting those whose homes and businesses have been flooded deserve to be thrown into a cell for several years. Given how distressing many victim's find it to have someone going through their homes, and given the number that go unsolved, I think we need compulsory prison sentences for it. That should up the risk-reward ratio. I remember when I was burgled, I asked the cops if it was likely a drug addict. Their response was that it was usually just some local youths looking to buy a new pair of trainers.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

British Houses for British People!
  • Options

TGOHF said:

British Houses for British People!
    The policy won't even achieve that. If you think you will get more abroad, you'll just hold the price high during the period it has to be marketed only in the UK. It'll just increase friction in the market, and leave homes empty for longer.

A higher tax on empty homes is a better idea, but Miliband seems to stumble on the odd good idea through chance.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

BoS/Markit Jobs PMI  
    =====================
    Scot UK
    ---------------------
    Dec 2012 56.0 53.4
    Jan 2013 53.9 53.3
    Feb 2013 51.2 53.1
    Mar 2013 53.0 52.4
    Apr 2013 54.0 52.3
    May 2013 54.7 52.6
    Jun 2013 58.5 55.4
    Jul 2013 60.3 58.6
    Aug 2013 59.7 59.0
    Sep 2013 60.0 59.3
    Oct 2013 60.9 60.1
    Nov 2013 63.2 60.9
    Dec 2013 63.6 62.7
    Jan 2014 62.6 62.1
    Key findings were that vacancies rose across all sectors at the same time as the number of available candidates fell leading with salaries for new permanent appointments growing strongly. Growth in permanent appointments was at the highest level since 2006 and the second highest in the survey's 11 year history.

With the jobs market performing so well in Scotland it is no wonder that George Osborne's word is so highly respected throughout the country. Onwards and Upwards George. It is clear to all but Pork that we are all better together.
    This poster is clearly a spoof.
    He's genuine - although some may find his conclusions "contrarian" - at least he does not pepper his posts with name calling, unlike a few others....

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Socrates

'A higher tax on empty homes is a better idea, but Miliband seems to stumble on the odd good idea through chance.'

Agree,particularly in London,but how would it be implemented without an army of bureaucrats continually checking which houses empty?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Good post.
    He says, immediately after a post in which he called SeanT tim. As some might say, unspoofable ;-)

I am quite new here - my understanding was that Tim and Sean were alter egos. Apologies if that is wrong.
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options

I am quite new here - my understanding was that Tim and Sean were alter egos. Apologies if that is wrong.

Just teasing you ;-)

• Options
    Socrates said:

Good post.
    Some posters seem to think mocking others posts (by saying how much they are "laughing" at it) and throwing insults at anyone that disagrees with them is the best form of debate. Thankfully, several of these have left the site, but there is one that stands out who still does this in virtually every post.
    It's tiresome. I tend to just skip over that as well as the stuff that is so nakedly partisan it gives you very little idea about how good an idea is. There is lots to like about the site however.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    RobD said:

Good post.

Even that is surely a blessed relief from the reams of repulsive far-right bile posted by the muslim/child abuse obsessives. At least some posters seem to have have finally learned their lesson when they slunk back from their flounce.

:)
  • Options
    On the London housing story, I'm not sure it's a bad idea, although it may not work.

The big problem we have here is buy to leave - essentially people buy up blocks and leave them empty - it's just a great way to make money because the market is rocketing. Few of my team are wealthy enough to get a look in, despite earning more than the national average.

We should start a debate on this - whether or not Miliband's proposal is viable.
  • Options
    David L.
    Forgive me, I did not mean, of course, to suggest you did not know the date of the Czech/Slovak split only that you underestimate the power now of the fact of the euro's existence and that (despite everything) it is here to stay. I hear what all the main Unionist parties are saying re the Scots and sterling, but I think they too, like the SNP, are in "don't mention the euro" mode, because to do so must raise the issue of our eventually using the single currency, either together as the UK, or separately as Scotland and rUK. Certainly if the Scots end up, which I am convinced they would, in the euro, that would greatly strengthen the case for and likelihood of, sooner or later rUK doing so also. The euro remains the heart and soul of the European debate. Everything else is essentially detail. Finally, for this reason , the legacy of the euro crisis (and perhaps the ERM crisis), which make it impossible for the SNP to say they would end up, quite quickly probably, in the euro, is why I still think "No" will win. Unfortunately, now this seems it will not be by a big enough margin to kill the issue. We are in for a long, damaging haul in which Scotland's status impinges on British politics and becomes entangled, above all, in the issue our EU membership.
This discussion has been closed.