Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

East Kilbride SNP MP defects to the Tories – politicalbetting.com

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,142
    edited October 2023

The Tories in Mid Beds looks like free money to me. The Liberals (and Labour) need to learn a lesson from this. But probably won’t.

I’ve been banging on about this for weeks.

I still think the LDs might surprise everyone here.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,262
    viewcode said:

If anybody wants to know the ins-and-outs of the 2023 Israel Hamas war, the Wiki page may be one of the best places to start

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Israel–Hamas_war

Talk page is a banger,
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,584
    Middle class corbyn Brits who dont have a f*cking clue:

https://twitter.com/grantfeller/status/1713259290356592979/photo/2

Wikipedia: " Since 2007, the Gaza Strip has been ruled by Hamas, and sexual activity between men is illegal due to Hamas' enforcement of Islamic law. Currently, the Hamas government punishes all men who are convicted of having engaged in homosexual acts with up to 10 years in prison."

"If you’re an LGBTQ+ parent, you should worry about Hamas gunning down your kids. Did that get your attention? Sounds outrageous, doesn’t it? Guess what? Hamas feels the same way about LGBTQ+ people and their families as they do about Israelis. Let me make this crystal clear: If an LGBTQ+ family moved into Gaza, Hamas would kill them."

Philadelphia Gay News
  • Options
    Having discussed how divisive referendums are, we've got another one tomorrow in Poland with 4 questions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Polish_referendum
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,225
    Andy_JS said:

The Tories in Mid Beds looks like free money to me. The Liberals (and Labour) need to learn a lesson from this. But probably won’t.

No chance. They will make a decent showing, and lose. Along with Labour!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,166
    carnforth said:

viewcode said:

If anybody wants to know the ins-and-outs of the 2023 Israel Hamas war, the Wiki page may be one of the best places to start

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Israel–Hamas_war

Talk page is a banger,
    Yes, I've just had a look (gulps). It is difficult to obtain useful info, not in the sense of unbiased, but in the sense of big-picture tersely written. These things tend to expand dramatically. But I don't know where else to go. :(
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    Andy_JS said:

Having discussed how divisive referendums are, we've got another one tomorrow in Poland with 4 questions.

Some very loaded questions there!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    Andy_JS said:

Nah, I think they've missed their shot - they weren't going to be able to pull off massive wins from third forever.
  • Options

Hamas need to be destroyed, like the Nazis and others of their ilk before them.

@BartholomewRoberts continued:
    "But I got a word of warning for all you would-be warriors. When you join my command, you take on a debit. A debit you owe me personally. Each and every PBer under my command owes me one hundred Hamas scalps. And I want my scalps. And all y'all will git me one hundred Hamas scalps, taken from the heads of one hundred dead Hamas terrorists. Or you will die tryin'!"
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,796

Middle class corbyn Brits who dont have a f*cking clue:

https://twitter.com/grantfeller/status/1713259290356592979/photo/2

Wikipedia: " Since 2007, the Gaza Strip has been ruled by Hamas, and sexual activity between men is illegal due to Hamas' enforcement of Islamic law. Currently, the Hamas government punishes all men who are convicted of having engaged in homosexual acts with up to 10 years in prison."

"If you’re an LGBTQ+ parent, you should worry about Hamas gunning down your kids. Did that get your attention? Sounds outrageous, doesn’t it? Guess what? Hamas feels the same way about LGBTQ+ people and their families as they do about Israelis. Let me make this crystal clear: If an LGBTQ+ family moved into Gaza, Hamas would kill them."

Philadelphia Gay News

IIRC criticising Hamas policy towards non-traditional sexuality is punching down. Israel is anti-gay despite specific protections in law etc because they are The Oppressors - so it’s fake pro-gay.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,796

Hamas need to be destroyed, like the Nazis and others of their ilk before them.

@BartholomewRoberts continued:
    "But I got a word of warning for all you would-be warriors. When you join my command, you take on a debit. A debit you owe me personally. Each and every PBer under my command owes me one hundred Hamas scalps. And I want my scalps. And all y'all will git me one hundred Hamas scalps, taken from the heads of one hundred dead Hamas terrorists. Or you will die tryin'!"
    “Right, right. Someone said "alien", he thought they said illegal alien and signed up!”
  • Options
    On our last day of our trip to the NE, we saw the pro-Palestine protest by the Earl Grey monument as we left the Grainger Market. A few mounted police on standby, but no trouble at that time. This morning, went to the Stephenson Museum, but a little disappointing in the number of locos on display, especially as it was a "contingency" due to the bus company that served the Tanfield Railway (just south of Newcastle) being on strike. Any way, back in Ilford now.
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 597
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Ireland are gonna win this. If NZ cannot break them down after seventy zillion phases - Ireland win

Leon said:

Ireland v France final. France win by 6 points. Calling it

Leondamus strikes again.
    No, I stand by my predix

I reckon Ireland are the better team and they will edge this. Then go to the final and lose to France

Feel free to mock me when I am proven wrong. Which is not yet
    Is it time now?
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,547
    edited October 2023
    This personal story about Jaime Herrera Beutler (former congresswoman and current candidate for Washington state commissioner for public lands) may impress Dr. Foxy, among others:
    "In May 2013, Herrera Beutler announced that she and her husband were expecting their first child. In June 2013, she announced that her unborn child had been diagnosed with Potter's Syndrome, an often fatal condition in which abnormally low amniotic fluid caused by impaired kidney function inhibits normal lung development. A stranger who read the news suggested that she try an experimental treatment: saline injections into her uterus that would enable the baby to develop without kidneys. She said she tried several hospitals, and told CNN that "most wouldn't even return her calls". Finally, a doctor at Johns Hopkins agreed to try this treatment. The results were instantaneous. For four weeks, she drove every morning from the District of Columbia to Baltimore for injections.[87."
    (Links omitted.)

The baby, Abigail survived, though she was born without kidneys. (Later, her fatther donated one of his to her.) The couple has since had two more children.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaime_Herrera_Beutler
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,547
    In this area, the big news is that the dogs beat the ducks. Translation: The University of Washington Huskies beat the University of Oregon Ducks. It was a pretty exciting game, decided in the last seconds, when Oregon missed a field goal, which would have tied the game and sent it into overtime.

(The quarterbacks for the two teams, both very good, have interesting names:

UW Michael Penix, Jr. (His last name is pronounced with a short "e".)
    UO: Bo Nix

Really, I am not making that up.)
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,166

...Michael Penix, Jr. (His last name is pronounced with a short "e"....

...and a silent "s"

:):):)

• Options

In this area, the big news is that the dogs beat the ducks. Translation: The University of Washington Huskies beat the University of Oregon Ducks. It was a pretty exciting game, decided in the last seconds, when Oregon missed a field goal, which would have tied the game and sent it into overtime.

(The quarterbacks for the two teams, both very good, have interesting names:

UW Michael Penix, Jr. (His last name is pronounced with a short "e".)
    UO: Bo Nix

Really, I am not making that up.)

I still don't understand the rules of American football.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034
    Andy_JS said:

Its a fascinating betting heat, LDs, Tories and Labour all favourites at various points
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,405
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

boulay said:

maxh said:

boulay said:

maxh said:

I continue to find it very hard to find a balance in my views on the Israel/Palestine conflict, beyond 100% condemnation of the atrocities perpetrated by Hamas, and an underlying solidarity with civilians on all sides, but particularly Gazans as their lives are torn apart once more.

It feels like this conflict is the very definition of one with no easy answers (the latest Moral Maze is good at navigating this, incidentally). And so when, with apologies for naming names @boulay @BartholomewRoberts @RochdalePioneers and others seem to refusing any complexity whilst happily eliding the cause of Hamas with Palestinian solidarity more generally, and apportioning collective responsibility on a bunch of poor civilians, I find my sympathies swinging away from Israel quite dramatically.

I'm sure this is not fair - Israelis are not responsible for the brainlessness of anonymous posters on the internet. But just as those who are cheerleading a blank cheque for Israel's response seem to lump together anyone who has any qualms about all this as a raging anti-semite, I am finding it very hard not to be suspicious that the outrage of some is being manufactured in order to provide cover for an Israeli response that, in terms of pure human suffering, will vastly outweigh the atrocities that Hamas have perpetrated in the past week or so.

You named three posters including me who consistently disagree on political matters for various reasons from various standpoints, social situations, backgrounds and aims. It shows the weakness in your mealy mouthed attempt to try and state some moral equivalence between what has happened in Gaza pre last Saturday and post. We are not a cabal giving a blank cheque to Israel and you can dress up your views however you want but you are a wet useful idiot for murderous terrorists who killed innocent civilians out of the blue in the most horrific ways. Fuck your pathetic moral posturing.

I thnk you are making my point for me.
    I’m really not. I’m sure you think that you are evaluating things in a “moral maze” way and showing great insight and intellectual breadth but sometimes it’s just very fucking simple - there are bad guys and good guys. Hamas are the bad guys as you clearly failing to get. Israel were being bad but nothing compared to Hamas. Don’t overthink it, it’s not a uni philosophy class. It’s dead babies and now dead Palestinians based directly on what Hamas did last weekend.
    And what do you say to the relatives of the slaughtered Israelis whose views I posted earlier today, which were not dissimilar to those of maxh ?
    "Fuck your pathetic moral posturing ?"
    It may be the worst sort of Thought For The Day mithering, but this sort of conflict only stops when someone, preferably someones on each side, decide not to take the retribution they are entitled to. And, as @Nigelb's link showed, there are some with the strength to say that, even after what they've suffered.

The current leadership of Hamas should absolutely be removed from circulation and ideally held accountable for the evil they have done. But I'd settle for shot in the head when they're not expecting it. But the practicalities are that that is likely to happen at horrible collateral cost to relatively innocent lives. And killing the leadership doesn't kill the idea- if anything, it strengthens it for the next generation.

That is why it ain't simple.
    Even if every Hamas fighter was dead, there would be another similar organisation within a year, recruiting from the million refugees with a burning desire for revenge.

Unless the Israelis kill every Palestinian, this is just the beginning of another cycle.
    And yet the Nazis were destroyed and a new cycle didn't begin. Why was that?

And yet the Tamil Tigers were destroyed and a new cycle didn't begin. Why was that?

Hamas need to be destroyed, like the Nazis and others of their ilk before them. From the ashes of that tragedy, hopefully something better can emerge.
    Wipe out the untermensch.
    What are you wittering on about?

The Germans were defeated and they surrendered, the victorious Allies didn't wipe out anyone. It was the Germans, like Hamas, who want to engage in genocide.

The Tamils were defeated and they surrendered, the Sri Lankans didn't wipe out anyone.

Sometimes in war there's a victor and a loser. When the loser accepts defeat, the world can move on. That is what needs to happen here, a clear and unambiguous victory for Israel over Hamas and for the Palestinians to accept that Hamas was defeated and to move on to other means rather than Hamas.
    Hamas aren't going to surrender, you naive fool.

The kind of people who behead children and use civilians as human shields aren't interested in a peace process.

If Israel commits to the total elimination of Hamas, that means a comprehensive annexation of the Gaza strip and displacement or death of the millions who live there. We can argue about whether that is right/wrong - but first, whether that is even possible?
    Yes, they're not interested in a peace process, which is why they need to be destroyed and killed until they do surrender. Even if it takes years of fighting.

The Nazis surrendered in the end, why can't Hamas?

What's naive and foolish is to suggest that there's an alternative to war here. They're not interested in a peace process, you know that, I know that, so that only leaves conflict as the resolution however depressing that may be.
    If you're serious about stopping Hamas, you need to go after their enablers, particularly Iran. Targeted airstrikes inside Gaza also make sense to knock out the immediate threat.

A ground invasion? Ineffective, performative vengeance. It's exactly what Iran wants you to do - further radicalise the Palestinians living in Gaza and the West Bank, weaken Western resolve as civilian casualties mount, weaken the IDF, turn the rest of the Muslim world against you.

In some respects I'm more hawkish than you - I think Netanyahu should've worked harder to pin this on Iran.
    Perhaps a few more cycle lanes in Gaza city and a few LTNs are what they need ?
  • Options

Why should they ? Labour and the Lib Dems aren’t best buddies who sit around the campfire holding hands and singing songs. They are political opponents and this is a seat labour should go for. Why should they take a step back for the Lib Dems and to pander to progressive alliance crackpots on social media and in the guardian opinion columns.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,134
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Some very loaded questions there!
    "How can we use government funds to send a list of smears about the opposition to every elector in the country, and ensure they read it ?"
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,031
    Taz said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

boulay said:

maxh said:

boulay said:

maxh said:

I continue to find it very hard to find a balance in my views on the Israel/Palestine conflict, beyond 100% condemnation of the atrocities perpetrated by Hamas, and an underlying solidarity with civilians on all sides, but particularly Gazans as their lives are torn apart once more.

It feels like this conflict is the very definition of one with no easy answers (the latest Moral Maze is good at navigating this, incidentally). And so when, with apologies for naming names @boulay @BartholomewRoberts @RochdalePioneers and others seem to refusing any complexity whilst happily eliding the cause of Hamas with Palestinian solidarity more generally, and apportioning collective responsibility on a bunch of poor civilians, I find my sympathies swinging away from Israel quite dramatically.

I'm sure this is not fair - Israelis are not responsible for the brainlessness of anonymous posters on the internet. But just as those who are cheerleading a blank cheque for Israel's response seem to lump together anyone who has any qualms about all this as a raging anti-semite, I am finding it very hard not to be suspicious that the outrage of some is being manufactured in order to provide cover for an Israeli response that, in terms of pure human suffering, will vastly outweigh the atrocities that Hamas have perpetrated in the past week or so.

You named three posters including me who consistently disagree on political matters for various reasons from various standpoints, social situations, backgrounds and aims. It shows the weakness in your mealy mouthed attempt to try and state some moral equivalence between what has happened in Gaza pre last Saturday and post. We are not a cabal giving a blank cheque to Israel and you can dress up your views however you want but you are a wet useful idiot for murderous terrorists who killed innocent civilians out of the blue in the most horrific ways. Fuck your pathetic moral posturing.

I’m really not. I’m sure you think that you are evaluating things in a “moral maze” way and showing great insight and intellectual breadth but sometimes it’s just very fucking simple - there are bad guys and good guys. Hamas are the bad guys as you clearly failing to get. Israel were being bad but nothing compared to Hamas. Don’t overthink it, it’s not a uni philosophy class. It’s dead babies and now dead Palestinians based directly on what Hamas did last weekend.
    And what do you say to the relatives of the slaughtered Israelis whose views I posted earlier today, which were not dissimilar to those of maxh ?
    It may be the worst sort of Thought For The Day mithering, but this sort of conflict only stops when someone, preferably someones on each side, decide not to take the retribution they are entitled to. And, as @Nigelb's link showed, there are some with the strength to say that, even after what they've suffered.

The current leadership of Hamas should absolutely be removed from circulation and ideally held accountable for the evil they have done. But I'd settle for shot in the head when they're not expecting it. But the practicalities are that that is likely to happen at horrible collateral cost to relatively innocent lives. And killing the leadership doesn't kill the idea- if anything, it strengthens it for the next generation.

Even if every Hamas fighter was dead, there would be another similar organisation within a year, recruiting from the million refugees with a burning desire for revenge.

Unless the Israelis kill every Palestinian, this is just the beginning of another cycle.

And yet the Tamil Tigers were destroyed and a new cycle didn't begin. Why was that?

Hamas need to be destroyed, like the Nazis and others of their ilk before them. From the ashes of that tragedy, hopefully something better can emerge.

The Germans were defeated and they surrendered, the victorious Allies didn't wipe out anyone. It was the Germans, like Hamas, who want to engage in genocide.

The Tamils were defeated and they surrendered, the Sri Lankans didn't wipe out anyone.

Sometimes in war there's a victor and a loser. When the loser accepts defeat, the world can move on. That is what needs to happen here, a clear and unambiguous victory for Israel over Hamas and for the Palestinians to accept that Hamas was defeated and to move on to other means rather than Hamas.

The kind of people who behead children and use civilians as human shields aren't interested in a peace process.

If Israel commits to the total elimination of Hamas, that means a comprehensive annexation of the Gaza strip and displacement or death of the millions who live there. We can argue about whether that is right/wrong - but first, whether that is even possible?
    Yes, they're not interested in a peace process, which is why they need to be destroyed and killed until they do surrender. Even if it takes years of fighting.

What's naive and foolish is to suggest that there's an alternative to war here. They're not interested in a peace process, you know that, I know that, so that only leaves conflict as the resolution however depressing that may be.
    If you're serious about stopping Hamas, you need to go after their enablers, particularly Iran. Targeted airstrikes inside Gaza also make sense to knock out the immediate threat.

A ground invasion? Ineffective, performative vengeance. It's exactly what Iran wants you to do - further radicalise the Palestinians living in Gaza and the West Bank, weaken Western resolve as civilian casualties mount, weaken the IDF, turn the rest of the Muslim world against you.

In some respects I'm more hawkish than you - I think Netanyahu should've worked harder to pin this on Iran.
    The Camp David accords suggested a High Speed rail link between Gaza and the West Bank, IIRC. I don't think the UK government has as many excuses as the Israeli one....
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,220
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

boulay said:

maxh said:

boulay said:

maxh said:

According to the BBC, Hamas have over 500km of tunnels under Gaza - and the israelis will not know where they all are.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-67097124

I'm unsure how you get any Hamas seniors who are hiding out in those tunnels *without* either a ground invasion or levelling the entre region.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Taz said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

boulay said:

maxh said:

boulay said:

maxh said:

The Camp David accords suggested a High Speed rail link between Gaza and the West Bank, IIRC. I don't think the UK government has as many excuses as the Israeli one....
    😂😂

But no cycle,Lane provision in Gaza city ?
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,031
    Taz said:

Eabhal said:

Taz said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

boulay said:

maxh said:

boulay said:

maxh said:

😂😂

Not according to Google maps.

I just checked the Strava heat map and there appear to be some depressed Dura Ace types just doing laps of the central highway. The contrast with Israel is stark.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Taz said:

Eabhal said:

Taz said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

boulay said:

maxh said:

boulay said:

maxh said:

😂😂

Not according to Google maps.

I just checked the Strava heat map and there appear to be some depressed Dura Ace types just doing laps of the central highway. The contrast with Israel is stark.
    Which explains your fanatical pro Israeli stance. 👍
This discussion has been closed.