Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Divide and conquer? Betting on the October 19th by-elections – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,275
    rcs1000 said:

If you're prepared to tear down democracy in your desire to rid the world of woke, you are an idiot.

Democracies will do stupid things from time to time. It's when the ballot box no longer allows you to undo mistakes that read problems occur.

You mean destroying the village to save it, is a bad plan? That’s crazy talk.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,397

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

On topic, sort of: It looks to me as if Mid Bedfordshire is fairly close to the center (or, if you prefer, the centre) of England's population.

(By center, I am thinking mean, rather than median, following the standard practice of the US Census Burea, but I would be interested in knowing either, or both, for England.)

Whats your take on RFK ?
    I'm interested in this too. He's announced he's standing as an independent. Will he take more votes from Trump or Biden?

My guess is more votes from Trump, which is ironic as I understand RFK is financed by a Republican PAC.
    That's assuming Trump and Biden are on the ballot. Which I'm not.
    What do you think takes either one out of the race, voluntarily or otherwise?

Short of death I can't see it, and I'm not even sure that would stop the Trump fans.
    Trump, the legal stuff, slide in polls, the non crazies coalescing around someone else.

Biden, age related frailty.

I rate it about 50% that neither end up on the ballot.
    That's a bit high but it's clearly must be a non-trivial %.

Not enough notice taken imo of the obvious fact that if Biden has decided not to run, he's not going to say so until the spring 2024 at the earliest.
    Erm, that is too late for the primary season to then take place? How does that work?
    I believe LBJ announced his decision not to run in April 1968.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,660
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

I missed this...

Ben Riley-Smith
    @benrileysmith
    NEW: Labour conference has just backed delivering HS2 "in full"... days after Keir Starmer made clear he wouldn't bring back the second leg. Ah.

Is that something that binds the leadership or are conference votes more of a message being sent kind of thing?

Still, with the LD leadership defeated on a NIMBY vote (the conference membership apparently having a moment of disassociative disorder about the party's identity), conferences showing some spine or initiative is pretty welcome.
    No. Labour conference last hear passed a motion calling for PR. Starmer vetoed it.

The days when policy formulation in Labour were democratic are long gone. Now a leader is elected who can do as they please and ignore the inconvenient membership.
    Well, in fairness it is usually the more sensible option, but it does mean we miss out on some reasonable things.
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

On topic, sort of: It looks to me as if Mid Bedfordshire is fairly close to the center (or, if you prefer, the centre) of England's population.

(By center, I am thinking mean, rather than median, following the standard practice of the US Census Burea, but I would be interested in knowing either, or both, for England.)

Whats your take on RFK ?
    I'm interested in this too. He's announced he's standing as an independent. Will he take more votes from Trump or Biden?

My guess is more votes from Trump, which is ironic as I understand RFK is financed by a Republican PAC.

Short of death I can't see it, and I'm not even sure that would stop the Trump fans.
    Trump, the legal stuff, slide in polls, the non crazies coalescing around someone else.

So you think if Trump is convicted in any of his trials that will be the moment the party base leaves him, at least enough to select someone else?

From what it looks like the simplest case and the one he's been caught red handed, the documents case, the judge is likely to push things back to beyond November 24 if he can drag things out much further. Which immediately puts more pressure on the other, more complex cases. But if he is convicted in any of the others it will be...interesting - they pretty much all claim that won't change their minds, but you have to wonder.

Biden seems more plausible, even if just because whilst he seems in decent nick for his age, change can come rapidly.
    Trump's criminal cases begin in March 2024, if convicted he might be in jail by the end of the summer
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,583
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h
    Democracy won by a whisker in 2020. Just 44K votes in AZ, GA, and WI decided the outcome

If RFK Jr, or any third-party candidate, peels off just a fraction of the vote from Biden, while Trump's base stays with him, they will delivery a victory to Trump. 9/10

https://twitter.com/RBReich/status/1711439251622019226

It's scarily close. And a lot of the people who worked for him and now say he is unfit for office will be replaced by people far worse next time.
    This time next year it will be up to the American people: do they want to continue to live in a democracy or not?

Nothing else is on the ballot.

I think they will say they don't.

Bleak.

And brace as @Leon would say.
    Even if Trump is defeated, you simply have to assume America is now capable of electing someone who will essentially end liberal democracy in their country. God help us all if Trump is elected again.
    The Woke are already intent on ending liberal democracy, and the Enlightenment. Hence, in part, Trump

Jeezusss fucking Christ how can you not get this? It's not advanced quantum fuckodynamics
    Not all sins are equal, how can you not get that?

I think a lot of woke stuff is utterly barmy. But only one side in American tried to remain in office after losing (no, moaning about losing is not the same thing), and that is a whole different ball game from when he was first elected.

Is there a reason someone like Trump emerged, a reaction against some things which really are wacky or wrong? Sure. But let's talk about scale. This is a point about age, but it still applies.

This dude is not one of the early Never Trumpers by the way. He was MAGA. He even now opposes the proposed court orders to stop Trump threatening people online, because of free speech. He is not a fan of Romney and other Establishment republicans.

I don't think you're a Trump fan at all. But as idiotic as some 'woke' ideology is I have difficulty believing you think it is equivalent to him, yet you often claim it is.
    No, you're an idiot

I think Wokeness is much worse than Trump. In all seriousness. You don't understand

However Wokeness is a generational challenge to us all and can only be defeated over decades. Trump is a more proximate and immediate danger, to the most powerful democracy in the West, so Trump must not win in 2024

To adapt an analogy of my own, we are trapped on an ice floe, the ice floe is heading to the warm sea where it will eventually melt and we will definitely drown. The sea current carrying us is: Wokeness

However, sharing this same ice floe with us is a polar bear. That's Trump. It doesn't matter if we manage to steer the ice floe in a different direction if the polar bear comes over and eats several of our limbs in the meantime

Ergo, we have to shoot the polar bear first, then work out how to stop drowning
    Wokeness isn't the problem. People can be vegans or kneel to every black person they see or refuse to kiss Tories if they want.

The problem is when they screw up society by forcing everybody else to adopt their idiocies. Intolerance is the issue, not wokeness.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 48,484
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h
    Democracy won by a whisker in 2020. Just 44K votes in AZ, GA, and WI decided the outcome

If RFK Jr, or any third-party candidate, peels off just a fraction of the vote from Biden, while Trump's base stays with him, they will delivery a victory to Trump. 9/10

It's scarily close. And a lot of the people who worked for him and now say he is unfit for office will be replaced by people far worse next time.
    This time next year it will be up to the American people: do they want to continue to live in a democracy or not?

Bleak.

Even if Trump is defeated, you simply have to assume America is now capable of electing someone who will essentially end liberal democracy in their country. God help us all if Trump is elected again.
    The Woke are already intent on ending liberal democracy, and the Enlightenment. Hence, in part, Trump

Jeezusss fucking Christ how can you not get this? It's not advanced quantum fuckodynamics

I think a lot of woke stuff is utterly barmy. But only one side in American tried to remain in office after losing (no, moaning about losing is not the same thing), and that is a whole different ball game from when he was first elected.

Is there a reason someone like Trump emerged, a reaction against some things which really are wacky or wrong? Sure. But let's talk about scale. This is a point about age, but it still applies.

This dude is not one of the early Never Trumpers by the way. He was MAGA. He even now opposes the proposed court orders to stop Trump threatening people online, because of free speech. He is not a fan of Romney and other Establishment republicans.

I don't think you're a Trump fan at all. But as idiotic as some 'woke' ideology is I have difficulty believing you think it is equivalent to him, yet you often claim it is.
    No, you're an idiot

I think Wokeness is much worse than Trump. In all seriousness. You don't understand

However Wokeness is a generational challenge and can only be defeated over decades. Trump is a more proximate and immediate danger, to the most powerful democracy in the West, so Trump must not win in 2024

To adapt an analogy of my own, we are trapped on an ice floe, the ice floe is heading to the warm sea where it will eventually melt and we will definitely drown. The sea current carrying us is: Wokeness

However, sharing this same ice floe with us is a polar bear. That's Trump. It doesn't matter if we manage to steer the ice floe in a different direction if the polar bear comes over and eats several of our limbs in the meantime

No, I don't understand, because you say he is a danger to the most powerful democracy in the West and must not win in 2024, but everything else you say suggests that should be considered inconsequential.

So I cannot square why you get so animated about others raising fears about a Trump win as being idiotic for prioritising that over worries about wokeness. By your own analogy that is the same as you are arguing - deal with the immediate problem first, then deal with the other.

Obviously many other will not share you worry about the melting ice, but given you say you agree about the need to deal with the polar bear first, why does it matter if people are idiots if they agree about dealing with the bear? We can argue about the ice later.

OK I'll try again

Wokeness is the sea current which will drown us all, in time. It is an epochal challenge, which must soon enough be confronted, or the very worst will happen: we all die

Trump is a mad bear, a passing threat, he can't sink the entire ice floe but he IS seven feet away right now and we have a gun and he hungrily wants to bite an arm off immediately (thus hindering our chances of steering the ice floe to safety)

Shoot the bear first, even if the sea current is the greater danger, overall
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,963
    edited October 2023
    rcs1000 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

This is typically stupid from Mr Reich.

In any constituency type system, there is always some incredibly small number of votes that could give you an entirely different outcome.
    He is another of the midlife crisis tw@tterer...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,075
    Niall Ferguson
    @nfergus
    As with London buses, you can wait ages for one war and then several come along. I've spent a lot of time in the past year and a half warning of a cascade of conflict and its likely consequences. A quick review:

https://twitter.com/nfergus/status/1711344214829666755
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,200
    ohnotnow said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

OTOH, Biden won by 7 million votes.
    Who was the bloke who didn't like facial hair? Perot?
    But he had such a fantastic moustache.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,476
    biggles said:

Eabhal said:

Would it be fair to say that, ideally, Israel would rather go after those funding and supporting Hamas than launching a ground invasion of Gaza?

They are fighting the symptom rather than the cause. And aggravating it at the same time.

But they have no choice - I assume going after Iran could turn into an existential crisis? Could the international community intervene and there is some sort of deal of a blockade on Iran in return for Israel not flattening Gaza?

You have to wonder what Iran is thinking. It can’t have wanted this to happen. Events are now out of its control.
    Isn't Israel invading Gaza precisely what Iran wants? Thousands more Palestinians radicalised, possible huge refugee crisis for the West to deal with, terrorist attacks in those countries supporting Israel, Israel more likely to abandon democracy and lose the moral high ground etc etc.

It's going pretty well from Iran's point of view.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

Bleak.

No, you're an idiot

However Wokeness is a generational challenge to us all and can only be defeated over decades. Trump is a more proximate and immediate danger, to the most powerful democracy in the West, so Trump must not win in 2024

Wokeness isn't the problem. People can be vegans or kneel to every black person they see or refuse to kiss Tories if they want.

The problem is when they screw up society by forcing everybody else to adopt their idiocies. Intolerance is the issue, not wokeness.
    That intolerance seems to come with the territory.

• Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

Bleak.

No, you're an idiot

However Wokeness is a generational challenge and can only be defeated over decades. Trump is a more proximate and immediate danger, to the most powerful democracy in the West, so Trump must not win in 2024

No, I don't understand, because you say he is a danger to the most powerful democracy in the West and must not win in 2024, but everything else you say suggests that should be considered inconsequential.

So I cannot square why you get so animated about others raising fears about a Trump win as being idiotic for prioritising that over worries about wokeness. By your own analogy that is the same as you are arguing - deal with the immediate problem first, then deal with the other.

Obviously many other will not share you worry about the melting ice, but given you say you agree about the need to deal with the polar bear first, why does it matter if people are idiots if they agree about dealing with the bear? We can argue about the ice later.

OK I'll try again

Wokeness is the sea current which will drown us all, in time. It is an epochal challenge, which must soon enough be confronted, or the very worst will happen: we all die

Trump is a mad bear, a passing threat, he can't sink the entire ice floe but he IS seven feet away right now and we have a gun and he hungrily wants to bite an arm off immediately (thus hindering our chances of steering the ice floe to safety)

Look hard and you'll see that you're not on an ice floe, you're on a boat. I appreciate you don't much like the boat but there you are nonetheless.

Shoot the bear and sail on to warmer climes.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,963
    edited October 2023
    This isn't going to be a few days of bombing....pretty clear that his position is Israel won't stop until Hamas have been completely destroyed.

https://x.com/netanyahu/status/1711465610507341996?s=20
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

Bleak.

Trump is a clear and present danger. Woke is not.

Simples.

Happily, with Leon's polar bear on the ice analogy, we all appear to be in agreement on that.

The arguments on woke being a clear and future danger (or present but not the immediate danger) can be left for another day in that case.
    Yes. This 100x.

We beat Trump and the forces trying to destroy America's two hundred odd year experiment in democracy and constitutional law above presidents and monarchs first.

Then we democratically argue next steps.

• Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,672
    Eabhal said:

biggles said:

Eabhal said:

Would it be fair to say that, ideally, Israel would rather go after those funding and supporting Hamas than launching a ground invasion of Gaza?

They are fighting the symptom rather than the cause. And aggravating it at the same time.

But they have no choice - I assume going after Iran could turn into an existential crisis? Could the international community intervene and there is some sort of deal of a blockade on Iran in return for Israel not flattening Gaza?

You have to wonder what Iran is thinking. It can’t have wanted this to happen. Events are now out of its control.
    Isn't Israel invading Gaza precisely what Iran wants? Thousands more Palestinians radicalised, possible huge refugee crisis for the West to deal with, terrorist attacks in those countries supporting Israel, Israel more likely to abandon democracy and lose the moral high ground etc etc.

It's going pretty well from Iran's point of view.
    Historically, yes, when it’s your bog standard intifada and can be said to be born from the people. This isn’t that. This is too transparently a Hamas atrocity and if Iran is culpable it’s ######.
  • Options

Fishing said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

Bleak.

No, you're an idiot

That intolerance seems to come with the territory.

There's intolerance on the left but the right do it better.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,476

This isn't going to be a few days of bombing....pretty clear that his position is Israel won't stop until Hamas have been completely destroyed.

:( Pretty clear there - unable to go after their ultimate adversary, they are going to make an example of Gaza instead.

I understand it but what a mess.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,583
    edited October 2023

Their recent track record on knowing where Hamas is and what they’re up to suggests that means smashing the shit out of Gaza until no one is left.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,506
    edited October 2023
    Netanyahu is a past war criminal, as are Hamas.

Nothing good comes from all this.
  • Options

Easy to say.

But a ceasefire will be negotiated after a couple of weeks of utterly depressing slaughter.

Plus ca change...
  • Options

Easy to say.

But a ceasefire will be negotiated after a couple of weeks of utterly depressing slaughter.

Plus ca change...
    I think this time its different.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,682

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

Bleak.

Simples.

Happily, with Leon's polar bear on the ice analogy, we all appear to be in agreement on that.

The arguments on woke being a clear and future danger (or present but not the immediate danger) can be left for another day in that case.
    Yes. This 100x.

We beat Trump and the forces trying to destroy America's two hundred odd year experiment in democracy and constitutional law above presidents and monarchs first.

It's not much of a democracy if you're not allowed to vote the wrong way.
  • Options

Their recent track record on knowing where Hamas is and what they’re up to suggests that means smashing the shit out of Gaza until no one is left.
    The US wont let them do that. After a couple of weeks there will be pressure to wrap this phase up.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,485

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

Bleak.

Simples.

Yes. This 100x.

Whenever countries truly go to shit, it's because people think like @Leon.

The UK survived such stupidity as a 98% tax rate on unearned income, secondary picketing, the government consolidating all the car makers and then running them, etc etc etc.

What do they have in common? The voters were able to change their mind.

Places which relinquish democracy because they are worried about some policy, rarely get it back easily. And once you've normalised the loss of democracy, fuck it's never good. Look at Argentina.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Whats your take on RFK ?

I'll take even money with you that at least one of them is on the ballot.

£20?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

Bleak.

Simples.

Yes. This 100x.

The UK survived such stupidity as a 98% tax rate on unearned income, secondary picketing, the government consolidating all the car makers and then running them, etc etc etc.

Places which relinquish democracy because they are worried about some policy, rarely get it back easily. And once you've normalised the loss of democracy, fuck it's never good. Look at Argentina.
    Dude, you seem to have missed the mutiple times ON THIS THREAD when I have said Trump is the clear and present danger, and must be defeated, and that other fears - like Wokeness - may be larger and greater, but they can wait until we have shot the mad dog. READ YOUR OWN THREAD
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

Bleak.

Simples.

Yes. This 100x.

Dude, you seem to have missed the mutiple times ON THIS THREAD when I have said Trump is the clear and present danger, and must be defeated, and that other fears - like Wokeness - may be larger and greater, but they can wait until we have shot the mad dog. READ YOUR OWN THREAD
    If you think I'm going to read before commenting, then you are very much mistaken.
  • Options
    Do people not read threads now? Or indeed comments? Is this a new thing?

*puzzled of Primrose Hill*
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

Bleak.

Simples.

Yes. This 100x.

If you think I'm going to read before commenting, then you are very much mistaken.
    lol. But with all respect: twat
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,582
    PB is unbearable at the outset of any conflict. Loads of people who should know better breathlessly posting updates and predictions about things they know nothing about, then getting drunk and accusing each other of being wrong.

Actually, what am I saying? It’s like any other day on here.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,783
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

Bleak.

Simples.

Yes. This 100x.

If this were a pub, the landlord would have just called a taxi for you.
  • Options
    Leon said:

That’s interesting, but what I’m wondering is whether people read threads now? Or indeed comments?
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,579
    edited October 2023
    The tactics used by Hamas remind me, more than a little, of the Manila Massacre:
    "The Manila massacre (Filipino: Pagpatay sa Maynila or Masaker sa Maynila), also called the Rape of Manila (Filipino: Paggahasa ng Maynila), involved atrocities committed against Filipino civilians in the City of Manila, the capital of the Philippines, by Japanese troops during the Battle of Manila (3 February 1945 – 3 March 1945) which occurred during World War II. The total number of civilians who were killed by the Japanese as well as American artillery and firing is estimated to be at least 100,000."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manila_massacre#

Warning: Before you read further, you should know that the details are not pleasant.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,770
    biggles said:

Leon said:

That’s interesting, but what I’m wondering is whether people read threads now? Or indeed comments?
    I try to read as many comments as possible, and the thread header.
  • Options

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

Bleak.

Simples.

Yes. This 100x.

If this were a pub, the landlord would have just called a taxi for you.
    I think the rare use of the T-word was justified there. @rcs1000, tho I dearly love him, was being a dick. He was not reading the thread, and thereby arguing about non existent opinions

Trump must be dealt with first. He is on top of the lengthy To Do list. Even a senile Biden is better than Trump (but what a terrible choice!). Other, more serious issues lurk, but they aren't such an immediate danger as the Donald 2.0. That is all
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Are you talking about geographical centre or political centre? It isn't really either. It's too far south to be the geographical centre (about 100 miles, which is a long distance in the UK), and in terms of politics it's a lot more conservative than average.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

I try to read as many comments as possible, and the thread header.
    It’s a decent news aggregator, albeit with a political bias. Said bias is declared though.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Are you talking about geographical centre or political centre? It isn't really either. It's too far south to be the geographical centre (about 100 miles, which is a long distance in the UK), and in terms of politics it's a lot more conservative than average.
    More conservative and more rural (mostly but not entirely the same thing). One minor commuter hub but limited truly urban areas.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,217
    edited October 2023

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Whats your take on RFK ?

I'll take even money with you that at least one of them is on the ballot.

£20?
    I think Trump is done and have been pontificating this on here for a year or more. He might appear on the ballot but thats his lot but I have my doubts on that ticket at all. Biden looks fairly secure to go ahead for the Dems right now
  • Options
    "Ben Obese-Jecty
    @BenObeseJecty

Keir Starmer refuses to remove the whip from Labour MP Apsana Begum for sharing a platform with a pro-Palestinian organisation just hours after Hamas launched its terrorist attack against Israel.

What sort of message is Labour sending with MPs like this?"

https://twitter.com/BenObeseJecty/status/1711268112652239218
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,277
    Sunak will be hoping that the news coverage stays firmly on Israel . Anything that takes attention away from domestic issues could help in the two by-elections coming up .

Starmers big speech tomorrow does look going by the leaks to include some large scale plans in terms of new towns. It does though look to get drowned out by the Israeli coverage .

• Options
    As an aside, I think there is a simple solution to the Trump Organization civil court case in New York:

States should be allowed to use the property values that organisation declare on their loan applications for the setting of tax.

So:

Mar El Lago's property tax is based up a declared current value of $18m.

In the Citibank loan application, it was valued "conservatively" at $1bn. (It is described in the filing as "arguably the most valuable residential property in the country".)

Florida should be able to charge property tax based on the latter rate.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,495
    edited October 2023

The tactics used by Hamas remind me, more than a little, of the Manila Massacre:
    "The Manila massacre (Filipino: Pagpatay sa Maynila or Masaker sa Maynila), also called the Rape of Manila (Filipino: Paggahasa ng Maynila), involved atrocities committed against Filipino civilians in the City of Manila, the capital of the Philippines, by Japanese troops during the Battle of Manila (3 February 1945 – 3 March 1945) which occurred during World War II. The total number of civilians who were killed by the Japanese as well as American artillery and firing is estimated to be at least 100,000."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manila_massacre#

Warning: Before you read further, you should know that the details are not pleasant.

Give the IDF a week and that 100 000 might be looking beatable. No water, food or electricity. Massed troops, artillery and tanks on the border and cornered fighters enmeshed in a volatile and high density civilian population of 3 million.

100 000 even seems low when taking Netanyahu's words at face value. I can't imagine the Arab states will be able to ignore what is about to happen.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,386
    edited October 2023
    I talked to two Labour campaigners from Tamworth today and one from mid-Beds, and they backed up Quincel's caution. The Tamworth people said there was a huge swing to Labour but it was still very close and could go either way. The mid-Beds woman said that it was extremely tight between Tories and Labour, though the LibDems were not close; in the end it would depend on whether the disillusioned Tories would really defect or just stay at home, and whether Labour was able to squeeze the LibDems enough. She said that they were surprised that the repuation of the erstwhile MP was still casting such a cloud over the Tories - "many people were really annoyed by her and don't simply want to vote Tory again". The Labour effort is flooded with volunteers, with the key organisers routinely working 12-hour days.
  • Options
    It's amazing how little coverage these by-elections are getting compared to previous eras. In the 1990s they used to be major events with a huge amount of attention, lots of money spent on special opinion polls, etc.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,579
    Andy_JS - Population center, as in the this famous US sequence: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_center_of_the_United_States_population
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Andy_JS - Population center, as in the this famous US sequence: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_center_of_the_United_States_population

It's near Swadlincote in Derbyshire, which is about 80 miles north of Mid Bedfordshire. I know that area quite well. Used to play cricket there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_of_population#Great_Britain
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    "Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Declares Independent Candidacy", C-SPAN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-K-C-m8zUY
  • Options
    "Mid Beds is more socially liberal than Tamworth"

Is there any evidence to support this claim?

It's certainly more working class, but that hasn't automatically equalled more socially conservative in the past: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/oi-we-working-class-are-the-most-tolerant-9m38qvr3mwh
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,788
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

Bleak.

No, you're an idiot

OK I'll try again

Another of your ridiculous metaphors.
    A few deluded fools might mistake you for an intellectual.

"We must confront the sea current."
    LOL
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Declares Independent Candidacy", C-SPAN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-K-C-m8zUY

Grifters gotta grift.
  • Options
    Rishi Sunak doing a 'PM Connect' event and Jeremy Vine interview today is not going down terribly well with Labour folk holding their conference in Liverpool.

One says: "It feels a bit like the kid at someone else's party saying 'look at me'."

https://twitter.com/KevinASchofield/status/1711284622670151973
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    "Dominic Cummings
    @Dominic2306

today reminds me how happy i am @elonmusk bought twitter - if you look at mainstream news, including BBC, you see censorship & propaganda everywhere to limit damage to hamas"

https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1710685052042903612
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,165

It's certainly more working class, but that hasn't automatically equalled more socially conservative in the past: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/oi-we-working-class-are-the-most-tolerant-9m38qvr3mwh

Electoral calculus seems to think so:

https://electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/seatdetails.py?seat=Bedfordshire+Mid
    https://electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/seatdetails.py?seat=Tamworth
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Dominic Cummings
    @Dominic2306

today reminds me how happy i am @elonmusk bought twitter - if you look at mainstream news, including BBC, you see censorship & propaganda everywhere to limit damage to hamas"

https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1710685052042903612

Not his best take.

Antisemitism bubbling up on Elon Musk’s X is nothing new, but site is amplifying it
    https://www.timesofisrael.com/antisemitism-bubbling-up-on-elon-musks-x-is-nothing-new-but-site-is-amplifying-it/amp/

100 Jewish leaders call out Elon Musk for antisemitism on X, formerly Twitter: "We have watched in horror"
    https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/elon-musk-antisemitism-on-x-twitter-jewish-leaders/

Israel’s prime minister urges Elon Musk to curb antisemitism on his platform, X
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/sep/18/benjamin-netanyahu-elon-musk-antisemitism-twitter-x

As false war information spreads on X, Musk promotes unvetted accounts
    Information researchers said that the new outbreak of violence between Israel and Hamas is an early test of how the revamped X conveys accurate data during a major crisis.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/10/08/israel-hamas-disinfo-musk-twitter-x/

• Options
    Graphic videos of Hamas attacks spread on X
    Beheadings, mass shootings and other images linked to the violence targeting Israel widely shared on Elon Musk’s social media network.

https://www.politico.eu/article/graphic-videos-hamas-attacks-spread-twitter-x-israel/
    ..."There is a huge prevalence of extremely graphic violent material on X," said Adam Hadley, director of Tech Against Terrorism, a nonprofit organization that works with social media platforms and governments to combat how terrorist organizations spread their propaganda online. "This doesn't appear to be the same on other large platforms."..

...in the days following Hamas' widespread attacks on Israel, which have left hundreds of people dead, POLITICO easily found graphic images and videos on X in violation of both the EU and X's separate rules.

The content included grainy footage of militants gunning down Israeli soldiers, other social media posts of alleged Hamas fighters desecrating the bodies of victims, and videos of beheadings that, while promoted as taken from the most recent attacks, had, in fact, been reused from earlier jihadi violence in Syria...

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Nigelb said:

Graphic videos of Hamas attacks spread on X
    Beheadings, mass shootings and other images linked to the violence targeting Israel widely shared on Elon Musk’s social media network.

https://www.politico.eu/article/graphic-videos-hamas-attacks-spread-twitter-x-israel/
    ..."There is a huge prevalence of extremely graphic violent material on X," said Adam Hadley, director of Tech Against Terrorism, a nonprofit organization that works with social media platforms and governments to combat how terrorist organizations spread their propaganda online. "This doesn't appear to be the same on other large platforms."..

...in the days following Hamas' widespread attacks on Israel, which have left hundreds of people dead, POLITICO easily found graphic images and videos on X in violation of both the EU and X's separate rules.

The content included grainy footage of militants gunning down Israeli soldiers, other social media posts of alleged Hamas fighters desecrating the bodies of victims, and videos of beheadings that, while promoted as taken from the most recent attacks, had, in fact, been reused from earlier jihadi violence in Syria...

I would censor graphic videos, but Musk is a free speech fundamentalist so it isn't going to happen.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    RobD said:

Electoral calculus seems to think so:

https://electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/seatdetails.py?seat=Bedfordshire+Mid
    https://electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/seatdetails.py?seat=Tamworth
    I know it quite well and suspect it is more socially conservative, although I haven't spent a lot of time in Mid Beds to compare it with. Staffordshire is the sort of county where the Tory seats tend to be more socially liberal than the Labour ones. (Probably also true in Derbyshire, Notts, etc).
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,203
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

Bleak.

No, you're an idiot

OK I'll try again

Trump is a mad bear, a passing threat, he can't sink the entire ice floe but he IS seven feet away right now and we have a gun and mhe hungrily wants to bite an arm off immediately (thus hindering our chances of steering the ice floe to safety)

Another of your ridiculous metaphors.
    A few deluded fools might mistake you for an intellectual.

"We must confront the sea current."
    LOL
    You raisin the level of debate?
This discussion has been closed.