Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Divide and conquer? Betting on the October 19th by-elections – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,783

AlanBrooke asked: "Whats your take on RFK ?"

Haven't paid much attention to him, but am beginning to wonder whether Marx's tragedy/farce line might apply.

No that will be New New Labour next year
    LOL.
    What do you think the Tories have been acting out these last few years ?
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Russia seems to be very clearly aligning itself with Hamas and Iran. Interesting that they choose now to make that quite fundamental choice.

I see Ramzan Kadyrov has been expressing his delight in the attacks. I can sort of see why on the basis of keeping a fractious Islamist population on side. But having Israel against you can’t be that sensible long term.

It feels like the world is dividing into a new hostility

USA
    UK
    France
    Germany
    Japan
    Spain
    Korea
    Australia
    Canada
    Italy
    Israel
    Poland
    NZ (hmm)
    God

V

China
    Russia
    Iran
    Ireland
    Palestine
    Wankers
    Rogerdamus
    Kinabalu
    Er, Syria
    Pakistan
    South Africa
    Satan

And still undecideds:

India
    Saudi
    UAE
    Brazil
    Turkey
    Indonesia
    @BartholomewRoberts
    The Aliens

Ireland is not SFAICS, absolutely not, aligning with Hamas over this one. It's line is : Condemn Hamas, Israel's response should be proportionate though we have no idea what that means, and there should be a peace process.

I disagree with RoI about almost everything in military policy but let us be fair to the country that was quite content to see the UK be conquered by Hitler, our people massacred and enslaved and not lift a finger.
    The Cranborne Report
    Viscount Cranborne, the British Secretary of State for Dominion Affairs, wrote a letter on 21 February 1945 to the British War Cabinet regarding Irish-British collaboration during 1939–1945:[41]

They agreed to our use of Lough Foyle for naval and air purposes. The ownership of the Lough is disputed, but the Southern Irish authorities are tacitly not pressing their claim in present conditions and are also ignoring any flying by our aircraft over the Donegal shore of the Lough, which is necessary in certain wind conditions to enable flying boats to take off from the Lough.
    They have agreed to use by our aircraft based on Lough Erne of a corridor over Southern Irish territory and territorial waters for the purpose of flying out to the Atlantic.
    They have arranged for the immediate transmission to the United Kingdom Representative's Office in Dublin of reports of submarine activity received from their coast watching service.
    They arranged for the broadening of reports by their Air observation Corps of aircraft sighted over or approaching Southern Irish territory. (This does not include our aircraft using the corridor referred to in (b) above.)
    They arranged for the extinction of trade and business lighting in coastal towns where such lighting was alleged to afford a useful landmark for German aircraft.
    They have continued to supply us with meteorological reports.
    They have agreed to the use by our ships and aircraft of two wireless direction-finding stations at Malin Head.
    They have supplied particulars of German crashed aircraft and personnel crashed or washed ashore or arrested on land.
    They arranged for staff talks on the question of co-operation against a possible German invasion of Southern Ireland, and close contact has since been maintained between the respective military authorities.
    They continue to intern all German fighting personnel reaching Southern Ireland. On the other hand, though after protracted negotiations, Allied service personnel are now allowed to depart freely and full assistance is given in recovering damaged aircraft.
    Recently, in connection with the establishment of prisoner of war camps in Northern Ireland, they have agreed to return or at least intern any German prisoners who may escape from Northern Ireland across the border to Southern Ireland.
    They have throughout offered no objection to the departure from Southern Ireland of persons wishing to serve in the United Kingdom Forces nor to the journey on leave of such persons to and from Southern Ireland (in plain clothes).
    They have continued to exchange information with our security authorities regarding all aliens (including Germans) in Southern Ireland.
    They have (within the last few days) agreed to our establishing a radar station in Southern Ireland for use against the latest form of submarine activity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_neutrality_during_World_War_II

• Options
    Sunak tonight at the Synagogue

PM: 'I stand with Israel'

https://news.sky.com/video/share-12981358
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,579
    On RFK: "Attorney Robert F. Kennedy Jr.'s pivot Monday to an independent run for president met immediate resistance from Republican leaders, who have concluded that his new effort threatens to cannibalize their vote share next year, helping to reelect President Biden."
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/10/09/republican-leaders-attack-robert-kennedy-jr-independent-campaign-announcement/

FWIW.

On the other hand: 'His family is divided on his campaign, with some in attendance supporting his speech Monday. Four of his siblings released a statement Monday denouncing his independent bid as “dangerous for the country."'
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,217
    Leon said:

Yokes said:

It appears Hamas is feeling the military pressure already. Will explain the signs if I have time later.

I think "calling for a truce" is a bit of a giveaway

It's too late. Israel is going to take this to the end
    Its a mix. They are losing hundreds of their number every day killed and injured, with a fair number of their best sent into Israel now dead. The hostages dont appear to be the bargaining chips they thought, hence the plan to broadcast their killings and the claim that the Israeli strikes have killed some of them already.

The position of Hizbollah up North is still in question. There are reasonably sound reports that some of their 'elite' units are turning up close to the Israeli border, both Syria and Lebanon side. There is also unconfrmed (and probably will never be confirmed) reports in a few Israeli media outlets of a message very kindly passed on via the French to Hizbollah and their sponsors explaining why they should behave. That message suggest not only what the Israelis will do, but also the US, which is a real wild card.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,877
    edited October 2023
    148grss said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

Leon said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

148grss said:

FPT

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

The fact that Israel has the ability to cut off power , water and food supplies to Gaza highlights one of the issues that have bred hatred .

Hamas lives off the hatred . Children are brought up with the hatred and it’s just a repeating cycle.

There are still those on both sides who wanted a peaceful resolution , sadly that’s been consigned to the bin for yet more years .

Israel can raze Gaza to the ground but the hatred will remain .

But if the Israelis can somehow shift the Gazans into Egypt, then the hatred will be further away, and the chances of Hamas repeating their spectacular incursion will be greatly minimised

I do wonder if that is what the Israelis are planning. I don't see any other point in wading into Gaza at the cost of many thousands of lives, quite a few of them Israeli
    Will Egypt accept them ? The whole situation is just awful. There are no good outcomes here .
    Absolutely. No good outcomes

If Egypt seals the border (and they have tightened control this morning) then Israel will be left with a cornered population unable to go anywhere. What then?

I may be wrong and this isn't the Israeli plan, but then I am bewildered as to what Israel thinks it can achieve with ANOTHER invasion that does nothing but stir up evermore enmity. It simply ensures further attacks down the line

As I said last night, they might possibly be planning a renewed Occupation of Gaza, with Israel in control, and the reintroduction of Israeli settlers, who will act as a de facto spy network and military police, so October 7 is not repeated. But that's damnably tricky and could so easily go wrong

The final possibility is that Israel doesn't have a plan. It is acting in a spirit of pure revenge
    With whom would they negotiate? Hamas is the *government* of Gaza. Israel has declared war on Gaza amd it shouldn't be a surprise - its *government* has launched these attacks.

So the Israeli goal will I believe be simple - remove Hamas as a threat. How they achieve that is tricky, but they won't just be pushing the cross-border terrorists back into their prison.

Removal of Hamas - and the Hamas state - has to be the goal. And that will largely mean the killing of anyone who is Hamas, supports Hamas, lives near Hamas. It is going to be awful - war usually is. Especially when the aggressor is pledged to the extermination of the other side.
    That may be Israel’s strategy. That (“killing of anyone who […] lives near Hamas”) would clearly be a war crime and we, as in the UK, should do everything we can to stop war crimes. We cannot criticise Russia for war crimes in Ukraine and wave through Israel, or Hamas, committing war crimes.

Here’s a simple rule of thumb: war crimes are bad. Don’t carry out war crimes. Don’t respond to say crimes with more war crimes. Why is that a proposition that some on PB struggle with?
    "war crimes" is a fantasy. There is/are no such thing. They only exist for the winners in war.
    The fact that they are typically enforced against the vanquished rather than the victors doesn't mean they aren't a "thing".

They are reasonably clearly defined by international convention, and provide at least some incentive to moderate the conduct of war in terms of impact on non-combatants. The incentive not to commit them is that if you turn out to be the vanquished, you'd probably rather slip away into exile and obscurity rather than ending up in The Hague or as a fugitive.
    Should Israel deliberately target civilians? No. Do civilians have some responsibility to flee a war zone? Yes. Again Hamas are not just embedded in the civilian population, they are the government. So eradicating them is going to involve blowing a great many buildings up.

If your neighbour fires his AK47 at prayers 5 times a day, it is time to leave. Because in wartime it is always legitimate to go after CCC targets regardless of where the enemy has put them.
    How exactly do 3 million people flee a war zone when they are not allowed to leave by any of the surrounding countries?
    They should decide not to have Hamas as their leadership.
    Even coming from you that is genuinely one of the stupidest comments any one has made on this topic.

I suppose the Catholics in Northern Ireland deserved to be bombed out and killed because they had Sinn Féin councillors.
    There is huge support in Gaza for the Hamas leadership. They can send thousands of "militants" to Israel on near suicide missions. They have mass rallies of hundreds of thousands in the streets protesting against Israel and the Great Satan. They show pictures of six-yr old girls wielding AKs and crying with happiness at the onslaught happening in Israel.

But they are all harmless civilians who only want to find a way out of danger.
    It must be very strange living inside your head where everything in the world is so black and white.

It is dangerously close to exactly the sort of attitude that led to Rwanda, Bosnia and indeed the Holocaust. Regarding people as a mass (and indeed to use the words of your friend Netenyahu as animals) rather than individuals is an easy road to 'untermensch'.
    You seem pretty conflicted about it all.

Those poor Gazans who turned out in their hundreds of thousands to celebrate actions against Israel are now to be pitied. Of course it's best that civilians leave and they can do so via Egypt or indeed the coast if they wanted to. I have heard nothing about a port blockade perhaps you know different.

I don't for one moment think that every German in 1939 was complicit in the German war aims but I have read nowhere of a safe passage being discussed for them to escape the country before we bombed it.
    This is the notion of collective guilt. It is explicitly a war crime.
    Then it's one that every country including our own is guilty of. As noted above, it only matters if you lose. But actually of all the Nuremburg trials was one ever held for the bombing of Coventry?
    See, I think this is where you and I differ @TOPPING - you see this as an argument for why we shouldn't worry about the plight of the Palestinian people. I see this as an argument for why we should have had a Nuremburg trial not only for the bombing of Coventry, but also the bombing of Dresden. And Hiroshima. Humanity got to a place where it almost said "only following orders" was not a good enough reason for individuals committing crimes against humanity. Much since has been trying to roll that back - we need only look at the indifference to history our Home Secretary displays when discussing the refugee convention, or our own history of "defending our troops" from the consequences of the crimes they committed during the Troubles.
    And I find your view wholly admirable. And I do care about the plight of the Palestinian people. I think they have been dreadfully lead although bear not a small amount of responsibility for their leadership.

This is another Brexit issue. Because I was a Remainer it doesn't mean that I thought that everything the EU did was fantastic and beyond reproach; while Brexiters probably didn't think everything the EU did was dreadful, but internet forums, including if you can believe it PB, often force people to adopt those positions.

In this case Israel is not without fault in its behaviour over the past but after the events of the weekend I am giving them quite a lot of leeway to progress the war in whatever way they want and wanted only to point out that at some point a distinction between the sweet, good-natured, wouldn't harm a fly Palestinian people who only want peace with their beloved neighbours Israel, and the Palestinians who, in their hundreds of thousands march in support of the destruction of Israel needs to be drawn.

We didn't single out the nice Germans from the beastly ones and Israel can be forgiven for not doing the same in this instance wrt the Palestinians.
    You're an odd fruit sometimes.

On the 'Putin attacking Ukraine' topic you've been at pains to explore the context, discuss the things that might have pushed him into the action (eg did the Iraq War set a precedent? I recall you posing that question quite doggedly), lots of that from you on that one.

Yet on this one, this 'Hamas attacking Israel' topic, any attempt by people to do similar, to mention the context, to discuss reasons why this attack might have happened (eg could the maltreatment of the Palestinians by Israel have anything to do with it?) seems to give you an attack of the vapors.
    You aren't paying attention.

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4564114#Comment_4564114.
    I'm not slagging you off, I'm genuinely interested in the different way you approach the 2 topics. Putin Ukraine, very up for context and the whys and wherefores. Hamas Israel, not so much. Why is this, do we think?
    I am extremely clear on why Hamas attacked Israel. I am extremely clear on why Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Transjordan, Saudi Arabia and Egypt attacked them in 1948. And in 1967. And 1973. And 2023.

They attacked them because they wanted to wipe Israel off the map. In each instance they failed and in trying they got themselves into quite a pickle.

Has Israel behaved as you or indeed I would have wished them to over the past 70 years? I'm sure not. But it's useful idiots like you who think that if Israel had only been a bit nicer over the period everyone would be holding hands and making daisy chains together.

You think that I am excusing Israel's behaviour to the Palestinians on the one hand and ignoring the fact that this might be a root cause of this weekend's actions. Just like I seek to understand the reasons for Putin's actions.

I am here to educate you that for centuries and most recently decades the Arab world (and of course others) has been antipathetic to the Jews and hence this weekend's actions are a symptom of that hatred.
    Thanks for non flip reply. Doesn't happen too often. I treasure it.

So iyo the antipathy towards Israel in Gaza has little to do with the maltreatment of its Palestinian population. It's down to the inherent appetite of Palestinians for antisemitism.

Ok. I think that's incredibly jaundiced (and arguably racist) but given that is your view of course you won't (as you say) be shedding too many tears if Israel does end up engaging in large scale collective punishment of 'innocent' Palestinians. Inverted commas since they won't be innocent, will they?

Makes sense now. Quality exchange. Thanks again. Chilean red and nuts time.
    Hope you are enjoying your red & nuts. To you and @148grss it seems that you have difficulty believing that there is anti-semitism amongst the Arabs. And that Israel has committed some (original - we'll come on to that later) sin which has brought this behaviour upon them.

I think it doesn't take a google genius to determine quickly that there has been a long and well-documented history of anti-semitism amongst everyone including the Arabs.

For the Arabs it takes on a more "traditional" angle because there is a land angle there also. But a cursory reading of any text or oratory of many of today's Arab leaders now or indeed from history will show that there is deep antipathy towards the Jews. I think this is pervasive hence while someone somewhere in Hamas might see this as a homeland issue, to deny the rampant anti-semitism of much of the Arab world is imo to misunderstimate the dynamic of the Middle East both now and throughout history.
    Is there a history of anti Semitism amongst Arabic peoples? Of course. But I do not think it is the driving force behind the issue of Israel, especially not to begin with. Indeed, if the finger of anti Semitism should point anywhere it should be at the hegemonic western powers who refused fleeing Jewish people to their shores prior to WW2 - whereas at that point multicultural communities built on common understanding between Palestinian and Jewish exiles were commonplace. The land that is Israel and Palestine were also relatively free of faith based conflict under Ottoman control - all faiths had the freedom to access Jerusalem, for instance. The issue, I would argue, hinges on the forced displacement of hundreds of thousands of people from their land. This creates long lasting conflict - it has done with India and Pakistan, it has done in Africa, and it is the case with Israel and Palestine. People want to return to their homes, to farm their olives, to live and die in the house they were born in. At least with Indian partition people on both Hindu/secular and the Muslim sides held both positions - with Israel it is clear that one side was being forced out by the other.
    I wondered how long it would be before we got to: "It's all out fault!"

You really should look at the history of Jews in the region, e.g. Iraq, to see why your pretend high-minded ideal of allowing people to return is utterly bogus. Why are the Palestinians the only ones who have this right to return?

You may want to start here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farhud
    I mean the history is quite clear that in many ways this is all our fault - both the British state specifically and western imperial nations more generally. I mean it was European imperialist states that committed pogroms and refused Jewish refugees entry for hundreds of years, and European imperialist logic that led to the holocaust. The concentration camp was not a Nazi invention, although their evolution into a specific death camp arguably was, and the European imperial powers had already committed acts of mass murder on par with the death camps - just over longer periods of time and less formalised in parts.

I mean I’m in favour of a stateless, classless society without borders - that goes slightly beyond the mere right to return in my mind - but yes, Jewish people should be able to live where they wish, especially more so if their near ancestors were expelled from there. That includes Iraq. I don’t see how me having the position that all states (if they are going to exist at all) should be like that therefore means I am specifically calling on Israel as a special case.

"I mean the history is quite clear that in many ways this is all our fault"

You really don't need to say any more than this. We already understand that this is your answer for EVERYTHING
    I mean when you have an Empire that spanned a whole lot of the globe… yeah - lots of things that are bad with the world are going to be, in part, related to that. It’s not rocket science.
    We are now at the stage that many countries in Africa have been independent longer than when they were actual colonies.

Even laying aside the fact that the norm in many colonies was for the powers to rule through the local tribes, how long should we assume everything is our fault and not those independent countries' own issues?
    When we return to those previously colonised countries the same amount of relative wealth that we extracted from them when we colonised them?

I'm sure you're aware of the foot race metaphor for structural problems related to class, race, gender etc. That is the same between colonised and coloniser.

Britain extracted wealth and labour from other countries; it also destroyed industry in other countries so that industry based at home could monopolise markets (see how we destroyed the Indian manufacturing economy under British rule so that our manufactured goods could be sold more). Some of those things advantaged us, and our colonial contemporaries, and disadvantaged others. Again, see how Haiti was forced to pay the debt to France for their own emancipation.
    Done, in full, with interest.

The previously colonised countries are mammothly richer per capita than they were before we arrived.

Britain didn't destroy manufacturing capacity, it invented it and exported it.

And if any isn't, its purely due to corruption and theft of its leaders, not us.
    That is patently untrue - least of all because those countries may be richer per capita now before they arrived, but they still have to do labour for that. I am saying we should give them back resources relatively equal to the wealth we extracted from them under colonial rule with zero strings attached, for free, as reparations. The fact that we have offshored our sweatshops to their countries under the guise of "providing them with jobs" and have given "aid" to regimes that are friendly to western interests do not count and, indeed, count against us.
    "We" should not do diddly shit, as "we" did not take anything from them - and its absolutely racist to say "we" did.
    I had gone out of my way throughout much of this conversation all of today to either refer to a specific state and their empire, or to say western imperial powers or generally western imperial projects. That I decided to respond (somewhat lazily) in one post with the use of the term "we" instead (because it is late in the day and I am feeling lazier) should not, in my view, receive this kind of reaction if you were in any way sincerely interested in having this conversation.

Replace "we" with "British state", "British imperial state", "western imperialist states" or "imperial states" - my point still stands.
    No, the point does not stand.

The state is the collection of the people in that state. Not one of whom was alive 200-300 years ago.
    But to go back to the analogy of a foot race - those of us who are alive are advantaged or disadvantaged by the events that happened 200-300 years ago. So to have an equitable global society, you need to address that inequality - not ignore it and say "we'll we aren't (directly) exploiting you any more, so we're on equal footing now, pull yourself up by your bootstraps"
    What a load of crap.

There are countries around the planet which are developed or not developed and its based on what those countries did in the past century, not the actions of three centuries ago.

A century ago Argentina had one of the highest GDPs/capita in the world. After a century of misrule its now impoverished.

People need to take responsibility for their own actions, not piss about and blame everything on centuries ago. Especially when they're better off than centuries ago, indeed ex-British Empire armies are almost universally better off than the alternatives.
    "There are countries around the planet which are developed or not developed and its based on what those countries did in the past century, not the actions of three centuries ago." - yes, what the developed countries did was imperialism where they went in to the other countries and took their resources and labour at the point of a gun. The underdeveloped countries, after being mostly hollowed out, were then given loans using the financial system those imperialist powers had built with stringent strings such as enforced market access and high interest.

Let's take the single example of Haiti - a country that is extremely poor and was literally created by the emancipation of enslaved people. Let's take a single policy example - ignoring the military interventions of western imperial nations from the moment of emancipation all to modern times - and just look at the debt the Haitian nation supposedly owed to France. Why did it owe a debt to France, that it only stopped paying in 2016? For the loss of wealth that the emancipation of the enslaved people caused to the French state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiti_indemnity_controversy

This is a stark, clear example of the forms of injustice that the imperial period and the imperial nations have committed against people. That this example is so clearly unjust is why it is easy to point to. There are countless other examples across different colonial / post colonial relationships with varying specific contexts. But the underlying issue is the same - extraction of wealth and labour enriching imperial powers at the cost of the colonised countries.
    Again you're talking BS.

What the UK did was better than almost any other powerful country in the history of the planet.

Name any ex-British colony that is worse off than comparable other nations, which is not because of their own actions.

History isn't perfect, far from it, and that's always been the case, but as harsh as it was the simple fact is that Britain left almost everywhere better than it found it, it didn't impoverish and then leave.
    India was greatly impoverished by British rule! It went from a country with one of the largest global exports to one of with the smallest. Large scale famine did not exist in India before British rule because local rulers understood that taxing your subjects to death was bad - indeed local forms of mutual aid exists where if one area had a bad harvest or such another local area would subsidise it that year / time period, alongside a tax waver, with the understanding that if the situation were reversed that community would have done the same. British Imperial rule of India killed an astronomical number of Indians, which have reverberations to today:

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/humanrights/2023/07/12/beyond-the-raj-how-british-colonialism-continues-to-impact-human-rights-in-india/

The things you say are positives, like railways and democracy, were not build with the Indian people in mind - the railways were built with the transportation of soldiers and goods for the British Empire in mind, and the imported "democracy" was to replace traditional Indian practices (many of which like the above example related to mutual aid and tax waivers) with stringent inflexible laws and policies - with the singular aim of maximising resource and wealth extraction for the benefit of the British Empire.

Ironically the thread header "divide and conquer" is appropriate for such a topic:

https://peacenews.info/node/8779/shashi-tharoor-inglorious-empire-what-british-did-india
    Your account of pre-Raj Indian history is (perhaps accidentally due to gaps in your knowledge) misleading. India didn't have self-rule before the British, it was ruled by the Mughal Empire.

As for famine, we have no way of knowing how severe famines were in the era preceding the British, because statistics weren't recorded. This article offers an interesting counterargument:
    https://historyreclaimed.co.uk/colonialism-did-not-cause-the-indian-famines/
    The Mughal Empire was itself a waning power at the time of the East India Trading companies greater involvement in the Indian subcontinent, and the divide and conquer strategy was in part a way of playing the factions within that empire against each other. The history of Mughal Imperial rule is also somewhat more mixed than I would typically attribute to European imperialism - obviously empires all do somewhat similar things when conquering land and peoples, but from my understanding the Mughal Empire was somewhat less extractivist and willing to allow for flexible and more equitable arrangements amongst the peoples in its empire.

The degree to which any government system is "self rule" is contentious - I would argue that for much of the British imperial period there was no real democracy at home and that the imperial aims of the empire were not an expression of the British people as much as a specific class of British elites. But, that being said, many British people at the time and now still benefit from the wealth of the British Empire.
    Well, according the article I posted the accounts we have of the period were written by hagiographers paid by the rulers of the day, so they are hardly likely to be searing exposés of mistreatment by those same rulers are they? And we certainly cannot take such accounts, interesting though they are, and compare them to real data on famine as recorded by the British, and make any statement about whether famines increased in frequency or magnitude - that is dodgy as all get out.

Another interesting point made by the article is that famines decreased after 1900 compared to the preceding era, because of the advent of the railways. So yes, these were designed to aid commerce, and the fact that they did so increased the mobility of food and therefore vastly reduced the impact of poor harvests. Doing things to aid commerce and trade isn't *bad* - it is one of the primary reasons why Britain helped keep the world peaceful throughout the 19th century.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,392
    Nigelb said:

Haven't paid much attention to him, but am beginning to wonder whether Marx's tragedy/farce line might apply.

LOL.
    They've been acting out Gordon Brown's masterplan obvs. Remember, it's all Gordon's fault.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,022
    edited October 2023
    Eabhal said:

Any UK politician who is at all equivocal on Hamas is going to look very stupid when the first ISIS-style hostage beheadings take place.

It's a big question for Hamas - double down and go full ISIS, or open negotiations? The hostages are awkward for all parties - apparently they are having to keep them safe from the lynch mobs in Gaza.

They already went full ISIS when this began.

The only question seems to be now if they stay there, or go in a full-on retreat.

What an absolute balls-up.

We had people here when this began like Stark Raving Bonkers saying that this was a stroke of genius by Hamas who "hold all the cards", while I said it was about as smart as Operation Barbarossa or the attack on Pearl Harbor.

It looks like I may have been wrong - I may have been unfair on the Axis powers comparing this shitshow to that.
  • Options
    Anyone who can seek to justify, or even contextualise, Hamas's attacks on Israel right now needs to be vigorously rebutted
  • Options

Nigelb said:

LOL.
    They've been acting out Gordon Brown's masterplan obvs. Remember, it's all Gordon's fault.
    Agreed.

Sunak is the heir to Brown.

He needs to go.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,250
    Yokes said:

Leon said:

Yokes said:

It appears Hamas is feeling the military pressure already. Will explain the signs if I have time later.

Its a mix. They are losing hundreds of their number every day killed and injured, with a fair number of their best sent into Israel now dead. The hostages dont appear to be the bargaining chips they thought, hence the plan to broadcast their killings and the claim that the Israeli strikes have killed some of them already.

The position of Hizbollah up North is still in question. There are reasonably sound reports that some of their 'elite' units are turning up close to the Israeli border, both Syria and Lebanon side. There is also unconfrmed (and probably will never be confirmed) reports in a few Israeli media outlets of a message very kindly passed on via the French to Hizbollah and their sponsors explaining why they should behave. That message suggest not only what the Israelis will do, but also the US, which is a real wild card.

Does anyone really believe that about this White House? They’ve turned a blind eye to sanctions evasion of Iranian oil, even as Tehran floods the battlefield with drones to murder Ukrainians. Dragged their feet on seeing through the job on arms support to fend off Russia, after that ridiculous “it depends what sort of invasion” comment. Surrendered to the Taliban.

The world’s autocrats and barbarians have concluded Biden is all fur coat and no knickers. If the Mullahs are paying attention, they’ll go hell for leather to acquire the bomb this side of a U.S. election. As for the Chinese, we are lucky that they are not yet ready for conflict themselves.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,268
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Russia seems to be very clearly aligning itself with Hamas and Iran. Interesting that they choose now to make that quite fundamental choice.

I see Ramzan Kadyrov has been expressing his delight in the attacks. I can sort of see why on the basis of keeping a fractious Islamist population on side. But having Israel against you can’t be that sensible long term.

USA
    UK
    France
    Germany
    Japan
    Spain
    Korea
    Australia
    Canada
    Italy
    Israel
    Poland
    NZ (hmm)
    God

V

China
    Russia
    Iran
    Ireland
    Palestine
    Wankers
    Rogerdamus
    Kinabalu
    Er, Syria
    Pakistan
    South Africa
    Satan

And still undecideds:

India
    Saudi
    UAE
    Brazil
    Turkey
    Indonesia
    @BartholomewRoberts
    The Aliens

Nice to see the level of discussion here comfortably surpassing the level of childishness seen at a failing kindergarten on a bad day.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

LOL.
    Agreed.

He needs to go.
    Who's your pick to replace him? Genuine question - I'm stumped.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

USA
    UK
    France
    Germany
    Japan
    Spain
    Korea
    Australia
    Canada
    Italy
    Israel
    Poland
    NZ (hmm)
    God

V

China
    Russia
    Iran
    Ireland
    Palestine
    Wankers
    Rogerdamus
    Kinabalu
    Er, Syria
    Pakistan
    South Africa
    Satan

And still undecideds:

India
    Saudi
    UAE
    Brazil
    Turkey
    Indonesia
    @BartholomewRoberts
    The Aliens

Ireland is not SFAICS, absolutely not, aligning with Hamas over this one. It's line is : Condemn Hamas, Israel's response should be proportionate though we have no idea what that means, and there should be a peace process.

I disagree with RoI about almost everything in military policy but let us be fair to the country that was quite content to see the UK be conquered by Hitler, our people massacred and enslaved and not lift a finger.
    No, it wasn’t.

Like all states, there were factions in the government. The military were very pro British - to point of practically encouraging serving Irish soldiers to enlist in the British military. U.K. overflights were ignored - every flying boat that took off for patrol from NI went through Irish airspace, at one point. Any Allied servicemen who ended up in Ireland got given a meal and a bus ticket to the border - all the Germans were interred.

De Valera and his cronies did their thing, but it didn’t amount to much.
    Thanks for that qualification. BTW I suspect the Germans were interned rather than interred.

It amounted to a policy of accepting that their proximate neighbours could be conquered and enslaved by the most barbarian force ever seen but they would save their own skins in that eventuality.
    Just ignore Leon on this one. He is an anti-Irish bigot.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,682
    More footage from Kensington. They appear to have a soundstage set up.

https://x.com/5pillarsuk/status/1711442459853488306
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Yokes said:

Leon said:

Yokes said:

Does anyone really believe that about this White House? They’ve turned a blind eye to sanctions evasion of Iranian oil, even as Tehran floods the battlefield with drones to murder Ukrainians. Dragged their feet on seeing through the job on arms support to fend off Russia, after that ridiculous “it depends what sort of invasion” comment. Surrendered to the Taliban.

The world’s autocrats and barbarians have concluded Biden is all fur coat and no knickers. If the Mullahs are paying attention, they’ll go hell for leather to acquire the bomb this side of a U.S. election. As for the Chinese, we are lucky that they are not yet ready for conflict themselves.
    Hello Donald, your fake tan is dripping.

Meanwhile in the real world, this White House has stood steadfast behind Ukraine and given Zelensky ammunition to defeat Putin in the face of Trumpian opposition.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

LOL.
    Agreed.

He needs to go.
    It depends who is left in the conservative party post GE24

He is not going anywhere before then
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,582
    edited October 2023

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

USA
    UK
    France
    Germany
    Japan
    Spain
    Korea
    Australia
    Canada
    Italy
    Israel
    Poland
    NZ (hmm)
    God

V

China
    Russia
    Iran
    Ireland
    Palestine
    Wankers
    Rogerdamus
    Kinabalu
    Er, Syria
    Pakistan
    South Africa
    Satan

And still undecideds:

India
    Saudi
    UAE
    Brazil
    Turkey
    Indonesia
    @BartholomewRoberts
    The Aliens

No, it wasn’t.

Like all states, there were factions in the government. The military were very pro British - to point of practically encouraging serving Irish soldiers to enlist in the British military. U.K. overflights were ignored - every flying boat that took off for patrol from NI went through Irish airspace, at one point. Any Allied servicemen who ended up in Ireland got given a meal and a bus ticket to the border - all the Germans were interred.

Thanks for that qualification. BTW I suspect the Germans were interned rather than interred.

It amounted to a policy of accepting that their proximate neighbours could be conquered and enslaved by the most barbarian force ever seen but they would save their own skins in that eventuality.
    Nope - Ireland had nothing to add to the war effort apart from men. Who enlisted with the Allies in considerable numbers. No industry to speak of, no military power. Joining the war would probably have taken more resources from the Allies than they would have given in return.
    NI was of course excused conscription in WWII for reasons and had a notably poor volunteer rate, so it’s likely more joined from the Republic than from the ‘loyal’ north.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,672

Nice of them to identify themselves mind.
  • Options

moonshine said:

Yokes said:

Leon said:

Yokes said:

Meanwhile in the real world, this White House has stood steadfast behind Ukraine and given Zelensky ammunition to defeat Putin in the face of Trumpian opposition.
    Is that the best you’ve got? I aspire to a better functioning White House than “at least it’s not Trump”. Biden has dragged his heels for a year and it’s clear that it has emboldened the West’s enemies.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 703
    biggles said:

I wonder what percent of them are already on a list?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

LOL.
    Agreed.

He needs to go.
    Slim pickings, but I'd probably say Gove.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,783

Nigelb said:

LOL.
    Agreed.

He needs to go.
    Check out Penny's speech from the conference. And then put your annual salary on Suella.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Yokes said:

Leon said:

Yokes said:

Is that the best you’ve got? I aspire to a better functioning White House than “at least it’s not Trump”. Biden has dragged his heels for a year and it’s clear that it has emboldened the West’s enemies.
    Biden has done a better job than any of his predecessors this century.

Especially when the party of Reagan have become full on Russian apologists.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

LOL.
    Agreed.

He needs to go.
    Slim pickings, but I'd probably say Gove.
    I think at this point I probably agree.
  • Options
    If you don't live in Israel or consume Israeli media, you don't know who Yair Golan is. He is a 61-year-old retired Major General in the Israel army and a former parliament MP. Spend a minute to read this story...
    https://twitter.com/gadishamia/status/1711240299987562977
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,075

On RFK: "Attorney Robert F. Kennedy Jr.'s pivot Monday to an independent run for president met immediate resistance from Republican leaders, who have concluded that his new effort threatens to cannibalize their vote share next year, helping to reelect President Biden."
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/10/09/republican-leaders-attack-robert-kennedy-jr-independent-campaign-announcement/

FWIW.

On the other hand: 'His family is divided on his campaign, with some in attendance supporting his speech Monday. Four of his siblings released a statement Monday denouncing his independent bid as “dangerous for the country."'

"Neither party should feel safe from Kennedy potentially siphoning off their voters.

The combination of Kennedy’s dynastic background with his anti-establishment views makes for a strange cocktail that could be potent — or a flop.

Complicating things further is that another celebrity is pursuing an independent presidential bid — the acclaimed left-wing scholar Cornel West. It’s unclear how West’s presence could further scramble the way voters consider the Democrats or Kennedy. "

MSNBC
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,596

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

USA
    UK
    France
    Germany
    Japan
    Spain
    Korea
    Australia
    Canada
    Italy
    Israel
    Poland
    NZ (hmm)
    God

V

China
    Russia
    Iran
    Ireland
    Palestine
    Wankers
    Rogerdamus
    Kinabalu
    Er, Syria
    Pakistan
    South Africa
    Satan

And still undecideds:

India
    Saudi
    UAE
    Brazil
    Turkey
    Indonesia
    @BartholomewRoberts
    The Aliens

No, it wasn’t.

Nope - Ireland had nothing to add to the war effort apart from men. Who enlisted with the Allies in considerable numbers. No industry to speak of, no military power. Joining the war would probably have taken more resources from the Allies than they would have given in return.
    NI was of course excused conscription in WWII for reasons and had a notably poor volunteer rate, so it’s likely more joined from the Republic than from the ‘loyal’ north.
    If you also add civilian labour, quite possibly. Though some of the North was working in armaments, etc. OTOH tge Free State did send fire brigades to help with the German bombing of Belfast to get at those shipyards, etc. Not entirely neutral.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,651
    Leon said:

148grss said:

Israeli use of white phosphorous on civilian districts in Gaza:

https://twitter.com/ramabdu/status/1711180158604865700

Is this part of the "don't have time to sort between the good and bad Palestinians" position?

i checked that guy's TwitterX feed. Not a single tweet expressing regret for the Israeli dead from Hamas attacks. Not one. Not even noted. Various tweets quietly exulting in dead Israeli soldiers. The rest just a tedious lament

I get that he is Gazan and feels oppressed and all that, but he is not a neutral observer worth citing

It's a war. And in this instance it is a war started by outrageous Palestinian barbarism
    Does this mean you'll cease using stuff you get from all the loony right twitter accounts you follow?
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,905
    Off all topics of conversation we're currently having - but I find suits like this one (and the one previously regarding Alex Jones) very interesting. The discussion on free speech often prioritises the ability to say things, and rarely goes into depth about the nature of the reasonable consequences for saying things. The recent cases on libel, especially in the USA where the free speech protections are typically very high, are carving out interesting situations where those with power (and therefore greater access to amplify their free speech) are increasingly having to confront the impacts that speech has on "real" people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axninEFZrvw

Like the lawyer says in the interview, I think this is a slam dunk against Elon. I will be interested to see if he fights this, settles out of court, or does his usual bluster and makes things worse.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

LOL.
    Agreed.

He needs to go.
    Check out Penny's speech from the conference. And then put your annual salary on Suella.
    I was all for PM, but she just proves herself too unreliable. She's not been given much of a chance with a job with no possibility of 'achieving' stuff beyond making good quips at the expense of the SNP, but still I think she was comprehensively outshone at conference by (as you suggest) Braverman.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Looks like the last Labour conference under Corbyn.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,358

FWIW.

More like, dangerous for Brand Kennedy.
  • Options

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Yokes said:

Leon said:

Yokes said:

Biden’s White House has been content to supply sufficient arms so that Ukraine does not lose while being insufficient for them to win. It seems pretty clear this has been deliberate. Meanwhile his comments on the eve of the invasion practically invited it and were a bigger disgrace in the field of foreign policy than any I can remember.

There’s a weird Putinist wing in the Republican Party but there remains broad support for arms and cash for Ukraine. The holding back of the key assets has been at the Pentagon’s direction, not the looney fringe of the Republican Party.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

On topic, sort of: It looks to me as if Mid Bedfordshire is fairly close to the center (or, if you prefer, the centre) of England's population.

(By center, I am thinking mean, rather than median, following the standard practice of the US Census Burea, but I would be interested in knowing either, or both, for England.)

Whats your take on RFK ?
    I'm interested in this too. He's announced he's standing as an independent. Will he take more votes from Trump or Biden?

My guess is more votes from Trump, which is ironic as I understand RFK is financed by a Republican PAC.
    That's assuming Trump and Biden are on the ballot. Which I'm not.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,441
    Nigelb said:

If you don't live in Israel or consume Israeli media, you don't know who Yair Golan is. He is a 61-year-old retired Major General in the Israel army and a former parliament MP. Spend a minute to read this story...

Seems an impressive guy.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,284

Nigelb said:

LOL.
    Agreed.

He needs to go.
    Stand up and fight.
    Stand up…and fight!

Stand up and fight
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,936
    Yokes said:

Leon said:

Yokes said:

I'd wondered if one part of the Israeli thinking behind the total siege idea was a turn off the phone towers, turn off the phone chargers, don't let the pictures get out of hostages, bombs dropping. In short, don't allow Hama's to own any narrative that a hostage crisis is the main event.

We know Arab media are less squeamish on
    average about more graphic footage, and not
    just in relation to Israel coverage, so cutting that off in short order has a logic.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Seems an impressive guy.
    Not many will achieve the heights of Golan.
  • Options

FWIW.

More like, dangerous for Brand Kennedy.
    A brand that has been going steadily downhill for the last 50 years.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Nigelb said:

LOL.
    Agreed.

He needs to go.
    I was all for PM, but she just proves herself too unreliable. She's not been given much of a chance with a job with no possibility of 'achieving' stuff beyond making good quips at the expense of the SNP, but still I think she was comprehensively outshone at conference by (as you suggest) Braverman.
    Her conference speech was utter nonsense, certainly.

(Obvs, pretty well all of them were, but she sounded incoherent even compared with the rest.)
  • Options

biggles said:

Looks like the last Labour conference under Corbyn.
    So complete is the overlap, it wouldn't even look like a Venn diagram...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

LOL.
    Agreed.

He needs to go.
    Her conference speech was utter nonsense, certainly.
    When you stand up and spout nonsense
    Your neighbour stands up and spouts nonsense...
  • Options
    Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h
    Democracy won by a whisker in 2020. Just 44K votes in AZ, GA, and WI decided the outcome

If RFK Jr, or any third-party candidate, peels off just a fraction of the vote from Biden, while Trump's base stays with him, they will delivery a victory to Trump. 9/10

https://twitter.com/RBReich/status/1711439251622019226
  • Options
    TimS said:

Nigelb said:

LOL.
    Agreed.

He needs to go.
    Stand up and fight.
    Stand up…and fight!

Stand up and fight
    A truly weird thing that was.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Nigelb said:

LOL.
    Agreed.

He needs to go.
    Stand up and fight.
    Stand up…and fight!

Stand up and fight
    “When your back is against the wall, there is only one thing to do, and that is turn around and fight”.

Fag end governments generate this crap.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,919

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h
    Democracy won by a whisker in 2020. Just 44K votes in AZ, GA, and WI decided the outcome

If RFK Jr, or any third-party candidate, peels off just a fraction of the vote from Biden, while Trump's base stays with him, they will delivery a victory to Trump. 9/10

It's scarily close. And a lot of the people who worked for him and now say he is unfit for office will be replaced by people far worse next time.
  • Options
    I missed this...

Ben Riley-Smith
    @benrileysmith
    NEW: Labour conference has just backed delivering HS2 "in full"... days after Keir Starmer made clear he wouldn't bring back the second leg. Ah.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,080
    edited October 2023
    TimS said:

Nigelb said:

LOL.
    Agreed.

He needs to go.
    Stand up and fight.
    Stand up…and fight!

Stand up and fight

“When your back is against the wall, there is only one thing to do, and that is turn around and fight”.

I think bearing arms at King Charles coronation has gone to her head.

That said, I'd engage my sword for Penny M any day of the week... 😍
  • Options
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Yokes said:

Leon said:

Yokes said:

Biden’s White House has been content to supply sufficient arms so that Ukraine does not lose while being insufficient for them to win. It seems pretty clear this has been deliberate. Meanwhile his comments on the eve of the invasion practically invited it and were a bigger disgrace in the field of foreign policy than any I can remember.

There’s a weird Putinist wing in the Republican Party but there remains broad support for arms and cash for Ukraine. The holding back of the key assets has been at the Pentagon’s direction, not the looney fringe of the Republican Party.
    Unfortunate slowness on Biden and the Pentagon's part is not equivalent to half the GOP in Congress (and probably more beyond it) outright opposing further aid, with a significant chunk full on repeating Putin talking points.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

It's scarily close. And a lot of the people who worked for him and now say he is unfit for office will be replaced by people far worse next time.
    This time next year it will be up to the American people: do they want to continue to live in a democracy or not?

Nothing else is on the ballot.

I think they will say they don't.

Bleak.

And brace as @Leon would say.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,770
    edited October 2023
    "Metropolitan Police Events
    @MetPoliceEvents
    📍 | We are engaging with protesters in Kensington High Street.
    We encourage those taking part to do so safely and responsibly.
    Do not put yourself or others at risk of injury by climbing street furniture or buildings.
    Officers will take action if any criminal activity occurs.
    8:10 PM · Oct 9, 2023"

https://twitter.com/MetPoliceEvents/status/1711459081213411577

"Metropolitan Police Events
    @MetPoliceEvents
    We are aware of instances of suspected criminal damage in Kensington High Street.
    Officers are on scene, intervening and gathering evidence. We are actively seeking to locate and arrest those suspected of being involved in any criminal activity.
    9:04 PM · Oct 9, 2023"

https://twitter.com/MetPoliceEvents/status/1711472732221608314
  • Options

kle4 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

This time next year it will be up to the American people: do they want to continue to live in a democracy or not?

Bleak.

I think they will too, but whilst several high profile democracy deniers like Lake were defeated, many more were not, so the people might not be enough. It seems far from a conspiracy now, given what we know was attempted, to think Trump was disappointed there was not more chaos and violence last time to exploit. Next time?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 48,477
    Tempted to wear a Star of David tee-shirt and drive around South Ken
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

On topic, sort of: It looks to me as if Mid Bedfordshire is fairly close to the center (or, if you prefer, the centre) of England's population.

(By center, I am thinking mean, rather than median, following the standard practice of the US Census Burea, but I would be interested in knowing either, or both, for England.)

Whats your take on RFK ?
    I'm interested in this too. He's announced he's standing as an independent. Will he take more votes from Trump or Biden?

My guess is more votes from Trump, which is ironic as I understand RFK is financed by a Republican PAC.
    What do you think takes either one out of the race, voluntarily or otherwise?

Short of death I can't see it, and I'm not even sure that would stop the Trump fans.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,583

kle4 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

Bleak.

Even if Trump is defeated, you simply have to assume America is now capable of electing someone who will essentially end liberal democracy in their country. God help us all if Trump is elected again.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,751
    All in an interesting day in the Chinese curse sense.

Well done to @148grss for the continued measured tone of posting and responses to just about anyone who challenged him/her. Part of what makes PB the place to be.

That and the alien sighting reports.
  • Options

I missed this...

Ben Riley-Smith
    @benrileysmith
    NEW: Labour conference has just backed delivering HS2 "in full"... days after Keir Starmer made clear he wouldn't bring back the second leg. Ah.

Is that something that binds the leadership or are conference votes more of a message being sent kind of thing?

Still, with the LD leadership defeated on a NIMBY vote (the conference membership apparently having a moment of disassociative disorder about the party's identity), conferences showing some spine or initiative is pretty welcome.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Whats your take on RFK ?

Short of death I can't see it, and I'm not even sure that would stop the Trump fans.
    Logic and rationality from their respective parties. Oh wait, sorry this is America we’re talking about isn’t it….
  • Options
    glw said:

kle4 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

Bleak.

Even if Trump is defeated, you simply have to assume America is now capable of electing someone who will essentially end liberal democracy in their country. God help us all if Trump is elected again.
    The Woke are already intent on ending liberal democracy, and the Enlightenment. Hence, in part, Trump

Jeezusss fucking Christ how can you not get this? It's not advanced quantum fuckodynamics
  • Options
    GENTLEMEN, CHOOSE YOUR SIDES
  • Options

kle4 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

Bleak.

Do you really think Trump would abolish democracy if elected next year?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,284
    GIN1138 said:

TimS said:

Nigelb said:

LOL.
    Agreed.

He needs to go.
    Stand up and fight.
    Stand up…and fight!

Stand up and fight

I think bearing arms at King Charles coronation has gone to her head.

That said, I'd engage my sword for Penny M any day of the week... 😍
    https://x.com/fasc1nate/status/1711492429839475088?s=46
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I missed this...

Ben Riley-Smith
    @benrileysmith

Is that something that binds the leadership or are conference votes more of a message being sent kind of thing?

Still, with the LD leadership defeated on a NIMBY vote (the conference membership apparently having a moment of disassociative disorder about the party's identity), conferences showing some spine or initiative is pretty welcome.
    No. Labour conference last hear passed a motion calling for PR. Starmer vetoed it.

The days when policy formulation in Labour were democratic are long gone. Now a leader is elected who can do as they please and ignore the inconvenient membership.
  • Options
    Leon said:

반찬

It is, after all, Hangeul Day today.
  • Options
    Labour must be wishing Hamas had waited a single week.

• Options
    Leon said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

Bleak.

The Woke are already intent on ending liberal democracy, and the Enlightenment. Hence, in part, Trump

Jeezusss fucking Christ how can you not get this? It's not advanced quantum fuckodynamics
    Not all sins are equal, how can you not get that?

I think a lot of woke stuff is utterly barmy. But only one side in American tried to remain in office after losing (no, moaning about losing is not the same thing), and that is a whole different ball game from when he was first elected.

Is there a reason someone like Trump emerged, a reaction against some things which really are wacky or wrong? Sure. But let's talk about scale. This is a point about age, but it still applies.

This dude is not one of the early Never Trumpers by the way. He was MAGA. He even now opposes the proposed court orders to stop Trump threatening people online, because of free speech. He is not a fan of Romney and other Establishment republicans.

I don't think you're a Trump fan at all. But as idiotic as some 'woke' ideology is I have difficulty believing you think it is equivalent to him, yet you often claim it is.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Whats your take on RFK ?

Trump, the legal stuff, slide in polls, the non crazies coalescing around someone else.

Biden, age related frailty.

I rate it about 50% that neither end up on the ballot.
  • Options

Labour must be wishing Hamas had waited a single week.

Labour won't be harmed by this, not unless some mad faction does some Hamas-boosting. Neither will they gain much: they will be ignored, but that's fine for them - they have zero ideas but they are 20 points ahead. The voters ignoring them is probably a positive

It's only when they reach power that their clueless talentless weirdness will become an issue. And fast
  • Options
    The Leaders of the United States, France, Germany, Italy, and the U.K. have released a Joint-Statement expressing their Steadfast and United Support for the State of Israel and Condemning the Surprise Attack by Hamas.

https://x.com/sentdefender/status/1711499431491535091?s=20
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

I missed this...

Ben Riley-Smith
    @benrileysmith

No. Labour conference last hear passed a motion calling for PR. Starmer vetoed it.

The days when policy formulation in Labour were democratic are long gone. Now a leader is elected who can do as they please and ignore the inconvenient membership.
    Well, in fairness it is usually the more sensible option, but it does mean we miss out on some reasonable things.
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Whats your take on RFK ?

Trump, the legal stuff, slide in polls, the non crazies coalescing around someone else.

So you think if Trump is convicted in any of his trials that will be the moment the party base leaves him, at least enough to select someone else?

From what it looks like the simplest case and the one he's been caught red handed, the documents case, the judge is likely to push things back to beyond November 24 if he can drag things out much further. Which immediately puts more pressure on the other, more complex cases. But if he is convicted in any of the others it will be...interesting - they pretty much all claim that won't change their minds, but you have to wonder.

Biden seems more plausible, even if just because whilst he seems in decent nick for his age, change can come rapidly.
  • Options

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

OTOH, Biden won by 7 million votes.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

Bleak.

I think a lot of woke stuff is utterly barmy. But only one side in American tried to remain in office after losing (no, moaning about losing is not the same thing), and that is a whole different ball game from when he was first elected.

Is there a reason someone like Trump emerged, a reaction against some things which really are wacky or wrong? Sure. But let's talk about scale. This is a point about age, but it still applies.

This dude is not one of the early Never Trumpers by the way. He was MAGA. He even now opposes the proposed court orders to stop Trump threatening people online, because of free speech. He is not a fan of Romney and other Establishment republicans.

I don't think you're a Trump fan at all. But as idiotic as some 'woke' ideology is I have difficulty believing you think it is equivalent to him, yet you often claim it is.
    No, you're an idiot

I think Wokeness is much worse than Trump. In all seriousness. You don't understand

However Wokeness is a generational challenge to us all and can only be defeated over decades. Trump is a more proximate and immediate danger, to the most powerful democracy in the West, so Trump must not win in 2024

To adapt an analogy of my own, we are trapped on an ice floe, the ice floe is heading to the warm sea where it will eventually melt and we will definitely drown. The sea current carrying us is: Wokeness

However, sharing this same ice floe with us is a polar bear. That's Trump. It doesn't matter if we manage to steer the ice floe in a different direction if the polar bear comes over and eats several of our limbs in the meantime

Ergo, we have to shoot the polar bear first, then work out how to stop drowning
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

Bleak.

He already tried to overthrow a democratic election once already. His supporters claim to believe the Constitution gives one man the power the decide the outcome regardless of what the certified elector votes say, and that a President is immune from all actions taken whilst in office, even if nothing to do with their office.

Without even getting in to the his many statements on the subject, why are you so skeptical about the risk?

It's not exactly Trump derangement syndrome if he has said far more deranged things.
  • Options
    "Hamas are like Nazis and it’s outrageous that they’re celebrated on British streets, says Israeli ambassador
    Tzipi Hotovely tells The Telegraph that British supporters are condoning Hamas ‘war crimes’"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/10/09/hamas-nazis-israel-ambassador-uk-interview-gaza/
  • Options
    Leon said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

Bleak.

You need a totally alt-right warped brain like yours to think the left is the danger to which Trump is the solution. Still, since the course of history is against you, you will remain sadly disappointed for the rest of your days.

What you class as 'woke' is the natural outcome of the Enlightenment. Indeed, I would say the Enlightenment and 'wokism' are facets of the same long trend of human evolution away from 'the strongest wins' towards a more altruistic nature. See for example the long-term trend towards an aversion to animal cruelty.

It's not a path without serious setbacks and it's not a path on which everyone has reached the same point, but it's undeniably happening.

• Options
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Whats your take on RFK ?

Wow. 50%??

• Options
    Leon said:

Equivocation, right now, is right next to supporting rape and murder of innocents
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

Bleak.

Trump is a clear and present danger. Woke is not.

Simples.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

Bleak.

He already tried to overthrow a democratic election once already. His supporters claim to believe the Constitution gives one man the power the decide the outcome regardless of what the certified elector votes say, and that a President is immune from all actions taken whilst in office, even if nothing to do with their office.

Without even getting in to the his many statements on the subject, why are you so skeptical about the risk?

It's not exactly Trump derangement syndrome if he has said far more deranged things.
    I just don't see it as a possibility. I don't see how it could happen.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

Bleak.

No, you're an idiot

I think Wokeness is much worse than Trump. In all seriousness. You don't understand

However Wokeness is a generational challenge and can only be defeated over decades. Trump is a more proximate and immediate danger, to the most powerful democracy in the West, so Trump must not win in 2024

To adapt an analogy of my own, we are trapped on an ice floe, the ice floe is heading to the warm sea where it will eventually melt and we will definitely drown. The sea current carrying us is: Wokeness

However, sharing this same ice floe with us is a polar bear. That's Trump. It doesn't matter if we manage to steer the ice floe in a different direction if the polar bear comes over and eats several of our limbs in the meantime

Ergo, we have to shoot the polar bear first, then work out how to stop drowning
    No, I don't understand, because you say he is a danger to the most powerful democracy in the West and must not win in 2024, but everything else you say suggests that should be considered inconsequential.

So I cannot square why you get so animated about others raising fears about a Trump win as being idiotic for prioritising that over worries about wokeness. By your own analogy that is the same as you are arguing - deal with the immediate problem first, then deal with the other.

Obviously many other will not share you worry about the melting ice, but given you say you agree about the need to deal with the polar bear first, why does it matter if people are idiots if they agree about dealing with the bear? We can argue about the ice later.

• Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,062

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

OTOH, Biden won by 7 million votes.
    Who was the bloke who didn't like facial hair? Perot?
  • Options
    Leon said:

I choose that side. The one over there. The one that doesn't get shot. Fearless am I.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Whats your take on RFK ?

That's a bit high but it's clearly must be a non-trivial %.

Not enough notice taken imo of the obvious fact that if Biden has decided not to run, he's not going to say so until the spring 2024 at the earliest.
  • Options

Leon said:

Equivocation, right now, is right next to supporting rape and murder of innocents
    Yep

This feels like one of those Civil War movies when the graduates at West Point are confronted with the reality: Civil War over slavery

The commander tells his young officers they can ride off in either direction, with dignity, and in safety, but the time has come to choose

You can ride off south to the Confederacy, and slavery, and Islamofascism, and terror, and Palestine, and Ireland, and Russia, and China, and beheadings, and Iran, and all the wankers of the world

Or you can ride off to the Union, and the West, and democracy, and emancipation, and England and America and France, and Judeo-Christianity, and the Renaissance, and the Enlightenment, and even Israel (with all its many many flaws) and female freedom, and not being like ISIS

Gentlemen, mount your steeds, and ride

• Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,476
    edited October 2023
    Would it be fair to say that, ideally, Israel would rather go after those funding and supporting Hamas than launching a ground invasion of Gaza?

They are fighting the symptom rather than the cause. And aggravating it at the same time.

But they have no choice - I assume going after Iran could turn into an existential crisis? Could the international community intervene and there is some sort of deal of a blockade on Iran in return for Israel not flattening Gaza?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Whats your take on RFK ?

Wow. 50%??

Given age (and fitness in the case of Trump), I assume at least a 4/10 chance either one has to drop out for health reasons or dies. So that’s 16% chance of both out that way before we start…
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Whats your take on RFK ?

That's a bit high but it's clearly must be a non-trivial %.

Not enough notice taken imo of the obvious fact that if Biden has decided not to run, he's not going to say so until the spring 2024 at the earliest.
    Erm, that is too late for the primary season to then take place? How does that work?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

Bleak.

I'm sure many people said the same about a certain German politician in the 30s.
  • Options

Leon said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

Bleak.

You need a totally alt-right warped brain like yours to think the left is the danger to which Trump is the solution. Still, since the course of history is against you, you will remain sadly disappointed for the rest of your days.

What you class as 'woke' is the natural outcome of the Enlightenment. Indeed, I would say the Enlightenment and 'wokism' are facets of the same long trend of human evolution away from 'the strongest wins' towards a more altruistic nature. See for example the long-term trend towards an aversion to animal cruelty.

It's not a path without serious setbacks and it's not a path on which everyone has reached the same point, but it's undeniably happening.

I'm gonna have a wild wild guess that no one has ever mistaken you for "an intellectual"
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

Bleak.

His supporters outlined a plan last time - raise constant legal challenges, and even though those got dismissed use that as a pretext to claim the election is still contested, raise your own slate of electors, then pressurise the states to choose those or decertify their races to 'examine' the claims already dismissed, or pressurise the VP to select your fake ones. Get a malleable figure in the DoJ to claim there is fraud when there is no proof, and use that to pressure the states even more. And much more besides - plenty of that is not even contested fact, there is just argument about whether it is illegal, despite in any case being undemocratic.

The plan last time did not work because enough people said no, including in states where many are on the record now as saying they would not have said no.

Would he succeed? Not necessarily. But the idea he wouldn't try when he's already tried before, and you cannot see how it could happen, is pretty barmy. What would he have to say or do for you to think he would try it, and why are you so confident it could never possibly work? The US system has proven pretty robust over the centuries, but no system is unbreakable.

Of course, he could yet win legitimately in any case.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,485

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

This is typically stupid from Mr Reich.

In any constituency type system, there is always some incredibly small number of votes that could give you an entirely different outcome.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Would it be fair to say that, ideally, Israel would rather go after those funding and supporting Hamas than launching a ground invasion of Gaza?

They are fighting the symptom rather than the cause. And aggravating it at the same time.

But they have no choice - I assume going after Iran could turn into an existential crisis? Could the international community intervene and there is some sort of deal of a blockade on Iran in return for Israel not flattening Gaza?

You have to wonder what Iran is thinking. It can’t have wanted this to happen. Events are now out of its control.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Leon said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

Bleak.

Trump is a clear and present danger. Woke is not.

Simples.

Happily, with Leon's polar bear on the ice analogy, we all appear to be in agreement on that.

The arguments on woke being a clear and future danger (or present but not the immediate danger) can be left for another day in that case.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Yep

This feels like one of those Civil War movies when the graduates at West Point are confronted with the reality: Civil War over slavery

The commander tells his young officers they can ride off in either direction, with dignity, and in safety, but the time has come to choose

You can ride off south to the Confederacy, and slavery, and Islamofascism, and terror, and Palestine, and Ireland, and Russia, and China, and beheadings, and Iran, and all the wankers of the world

Or you can ride off to the Union, and the West, and democracy, and emancipation, and England and America and France, and Judeo-Christianity, and the Renaissance, and the Enlightenment, and even Israel (with all its many many flaws) and female freedom, and not being like ISIS

Gentlemen, mount your steeds, and ride

I have now had a flashback to being a confused child watching "North and South".

THANKS.

It'll be "Roots" next.

:: evil eye emoji ::
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,485
    If you're prepared to tear down democracy in your desire to rid the world of woke, you are an idiot.

Democracies will do stupid things from time to time. It's when the ballot box no longer allows you to undo mistakes that read problems occur.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,682
    https://x.com/lhsummers/status/1711421307227607255

In nearly 50 years of @Harvard affiliation, I have never been as disillusioned and alienated as I am today.

The silence from Harvard’s leadership, so far, coupled with a vocal and widely reported student groups' statement blaming Israel solely, has allowed Harvard to appear at best neutral towards acts of terror against the Jewish state of Israel.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

If you're prepared to tear down democracy in your desire to rid the world of woke, you are an idiot.

Democracies will do stupid things from time to time. It's when the ballot box no longer allows you to undo mistakes that read problems occur.

Heh. The reason I voted Leave in two sentences.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

glw said:

kle4 said:

Robert Reich
    @RBReich
    ·
    3h

Bleak.

I'm gonna have a wild wild guess that no one has ever mistaken you for "an intellectual"
    Haha that's your best retort is it?

You're right as it happens; no one who considers me "an intellectual" has been mistaken.
This discussion has been closed.